Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I know, this is so fucking awful. 

I predict this will be the lowest rated Oscars Evah.

these little speeches of the nominees reek of ego stroking.  Just show some clips for those that have not seen any of these movies.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, superdeluxe said:

Did we really need a remake of West Side Story?  That teaser did not interest me.

I wonder too. It wasn't clear if the new version is going to be set in more contemporary times, or if it is just going to be a period piece set in a time farther away than the original film.

2 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Did we really need a remake of West Side Story?  That teaser did not interest me.

Hollywood has run out of ideas, so they feel the need to remake everything that ever got good reviews.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Yes.  She's playing Doc.

That trailer did not make me want to see the movie.

I love the original, but just from the trailer alone, it looks to lack the angst, the passion, the struggle the original had. It looked like a cutesy romance that just happened to be set in the 50's. 

• Love 1
Just now, KaveDweller said:

Hollywood has run out of ideas, so they feel the need to remake everything that ever got good reviews.

True.

I'm still trying to figure out why Steven Spielberg, of all people, wanted to do this.

1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

these little speeches of the nominees reek of ego stroking.  Just show some clips for those that have not seen any of these movies.

I have to wonder if even they're enjoying it. It's not even decent ego stroking, it's just reciting irrelevant facts about them. I'd say they're rather have snippets of their work shown for all the biggest producers/directors in the world to see. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Urgh...dammit, this is a category where it would really be nice to SEE why these films got nominated!!

Right? Makeup and hair, but we see NO imagery just people smiling some guy staring at the teleprompter? 

This... it feels like work.! Like it’s a bad zoom version of an awards show, too much talking too many people staring at screens.

The musical performances took place earlier so I can’t even look forward to that. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Avabelle said:

I have to wonder if even they're enjoying it. It's not even decent ego stroking, it's just reciting irrelevant facts about them. I'd say they're rather have snippets of their work shown for all the biggest producers/directors in the world to see. 

Yeah.  I started this evening by saying that I thought it was nice to hear a little more about the writers, but you're right.  They'd probably want people to see what they can do, not what they did once upon a time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ShadowHunter said:

She looks amazing.

I like the color of Regina King's dress but not sure I like the dress lol.

That was exactly my thought about Regina King's dress. The color is beautiful but I don't think any dress that is tight is attractive.

The tribute to the Motion Picture Television Fund and the subsequent acceptance speech puts everything into perspective and makes all the other cringeworthy crap worthwhile, as far as I'm concerned.

Bong is back, Baby!

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

True.

I'm still trying to figure out why Steven Spielberg, of all people, wanted to do this.

Apparently, he’s always wanted to do a musical.  But why West Side Story?  He couldn’t do another one or come up with one on his own?

21 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Is it me or are the speeches extra long this year? Did the get rid of the "get off the stage" music? It's been 30 minutes and they only have there winners.

This may be an unpopular opinion and I know this has been a serious year but I miss the little joke skits.

Agreed, between the interminably long speeches and the presenters kissing the asses of the nominees, this show will last forever.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Is it the dress? Because I don't know Laura Dern to be this super tall woman and yet she looks like a literal giant next to Reese Witherspoon right now. 

I just saw Reese and Laura sitting together and Reese still looks like she comes up to Laura's elbow. I love Reese's dress, perfect for her, and my thought on Laura's was wondering if she mugged an ostrich on the way to ballet class.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Can't believe they are doing director already.

Chloe Zhao officially gets her trophy and that sound you hear at Disney/Marvel Studios is the marking team already scrambling to add "From Academy Award winner Chloe Zhao" to all of their Marvel's Eternals material.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, superdeluxe said:

Apparently, he’s always wanted to do a musical.  But why West Side Story?  He couldn’t do another one or come up with one on his own?

Wicked still hasnt been made yet and the should have special effects

This is going past bad and into unbearable territory. It's so boring. Chloe Zhao has made history tonight and all I can think about is how draining the nominations for Best Director was. I can't follow this format at all. 

This is the biggest ceremony of them all. How did they think this was a good idea?

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Chloé Zhao!!!! Wearing sneakers!

She was on Seth Meyers the other night and seems very unpretentious.  Congrats!

• Love 3

I could have sworn that the Oscars had said a week or two ago that there would be no Zooming in to accept an award, there was only an in-person option.  I guess they changed their minds because there are clearly nominees Zooming in.  And winners, like the French guy who looked like he was outside in the dark on a rooftop.