Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am so glad that Emerald Fennell won for Best Screeplay. The woman seems to be a force, since she was great acting in "Call the Midwife," is an author, and now a film creator. I wonder what her mother thought of her life goal at 8 years old, "to write books about murder!"

• Love 7

Soul wins and continues both Pixar and Disney's domination in this category.  Looks like you have to be Shrek or Spider-Man to beat them.

Wolfwalkers did look interesting and I heard great things about it.  That's why you need to show more clips!

2 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

The Derek Chauvins who come way too close to getting away with murder are offensive.

On-topic, the speech from the winners for Whatever Happens I Love You were fabulous.

This is about the Oscars, not Derek Chauvin.

• Love 1

They really should have shown clips from the shorts or at least gave a mention of what they were about. The winners speech for Two Distant Strangers was perfectly appropriate for the film, it was not a non-sequitor as people who haven’t seen it are thinking. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Shoutout to Joey Badass!  Haven't heard that on the Oscars before!

That's the name of the actor who played the person who got shot over and over and over again a la Groundhog day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

It took a global pandemic for them to devise an interesting ceremony. I'm enjoying this, even if no one else is.

So much better than the SAGs, and a big step up from the Globes. I think The Grammys were very good overall, but outdoor awards on a rooftop was mired by regular traffic and airplanes flying overhead. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, UMAngela said:

You may not be aware (this is a place where showing clips may have helped), but the winning short film, Two Distant Strangers, is about the death of Black Americans at the hands of the police. 

Ty for advising.  As someone noted, its still offensive.  Have family members  in law enforcement.  Not everyone is a bad cop.   So glad no one clapped. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Seems so.  The NYT said something like "newly streamlined" sound award.  I did not read the details, though.

They announced last year that they were going to merge them after years of many grumbling that voters obviously didn't know the difference between Sound Editing and Mixing anyway. 

1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

Ty for advising.  As someone noted, its still offensive.  Have family members  in law enforcement.  Not everyone is a bad cop.   So glad no one clapped. 

It's not offensive if it's the truth?

Anyway, I can't believe they thought animated shorts was the time to bring in clips.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

I am finding whoever is doing the voiceover announcements hilarious. I wonder if those have the same writer as all nominee speeches.

Probably Randy Thomas who has done the VO for years now and most certainly scripted.

In a year in which everyone is talking about not knowing or seeing the Oscar nominated films it makes no sense not to show clips. Just none whatsoever,  especially when you realize this is still at its core a promotional vehicle for the industry and their films. 

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

I agree. There are over a million police officers in this country. They aren't all bad. I think everyone who thinks so should have to walk in their shoes and see how difficult it is for them.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, susannah said:
22 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

"The police will kill 3 people" is arguably the quote of the night.

It's offensive.

I agree, so they should stop killing people.

Happy that If Anything Happens... won.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 18
16 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

It took a global pandemic for them to devise an interesting ceremony. I'm enjoying this, even if no one else is.

Honestly, it's really the lack of clips of the nominees' work that I think is truly hurting the show. I personally like the intimate look and feel, much as I enjoyed it for the Grammys.

But you know what the Grammys had, clips of the nominees' songs (well and musical performances of course). Again, this is a show to celebrate the achievement in filmmaking and they're not showing anything from said films. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Well, it would be a little odd for people to clap.

"the police kill three people every day."

*applause, cheers*

Yeah, you don't really applaud that. It doesn't mean that they disagreed.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 17
24 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I didn't love Sound of Metal as much as I thought I would, but the sound design really was brilliant. So YAY for them!

Sound and Riz Ahmed's performance were the tow stand outs in the film.  It had major issue with the representation of the deaf community and the experience of getting a cochlear implant, but it really would be hard to beat for sound. 

15 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

The film was a time loop in which a Black man is continually killed by a cop...

It was such a haunting film.  So well done across the board.

• Love 2
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Hey, they're actually clips now for Best Documentary too, so... progress?

I just remembered that they showed us clips of the International Features (remember dancing Mads?  Seems like it was 5000 years ago...)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Honestly, it's really the lack of clips of the nominees' work that I think is truly hurting the show. I personally like the intimate look and feel, much as I enjoyed it for the Grammys. But you know what the Grammys had, clips of the nominees' songs. Again, this is a show to celebrate the achievement in filmmaking and they're not showing anything from said films. 

I agree. I actually really like the format. It's the lack of clips that's rather appalling. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Honestly, it's really the lack of clips of the nominees' work that I think is truly hurting the show. I personally like the intimate look and feel, much as I enjoyed it for the Grammys. But you know what the Grammys had, clips of the nominees' songs. Again, this is a show to celebrate the achievement in filmmaking and they're not showing anything from said films. 

Also the lack of performances. The Grammy's and Tony's always have excellent performances. Not here. As I said, we have a bunch of TED talks.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

The Oscars usually love a montage. Seriously, there was the year they had like 10 during the show. This would have been a great format for a few awesome montages. 

eta: Also, if anyone cares, I am so far a perfect score in my predictions. Thank you very much...

• Love 8

Just now, kib said:

Damn, I guess I'll have to see "My Octopus Teacher" which I've actively avoided due to my great enjoyment of Tako Nigiri...

Save the 85 minutes and watch a nature documentary instead. It will be infinitely better than that awful movie.

• Love 2
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

The Oscars usually love a montage. Seriously, there was the year they had like 10 during the show. This would have been a great format for a few awesome montages. 

eta: Also, if anyone cares, I am so far a perfect score in my predictions. Thank you very much...

Impressive with your score! My husband and son always do predictions and my son is winning but has missed three so far.

1 minute ago, Slade347 said:

Save the 85 minutes and watch a nature documentary instead. It will be infinitely better than that awful movie.

Heh, I was just Zooming with someone this afternoon who lurved it.