Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

NPH finally landed a joke!

Really? That's the good one to you?

Not really, none of them have worked for me.  It worked for the audience though.

I think he's sucked, but the producers have sucked even more.

News of the night: I did not realize that John Legend's last name was not Legend.  

I still can't get with the song, but DAMN Common needs to become a speech writer.

"we live in the most incarcerated country in the world." "Woo!" "There are there more black men under correctional control today than there was in slavery." "Woo!"  SERIOUSLY?!

• Love 2

So when you win an Oscar, it goes to your given names, but didn't Barbra Streisand once proclaim "the Oscar goes to Eminem for "Lose Yourself"?

Plenty of stage names have won.  I wonder if Legend and Common write their music under their real names, since the award goes to the writers, not the performers.  I'm actually kinda curious about this now.

And it doesn't help that his toup is much too full and luxurious.

There's a part of me that appreciates that John Travolta has gone full-on "Yep, it's a lace-front, deal with it" in regards to his hair, and goes for the most ridiculous pompadour he can.

Seven more to go, unless I missed them giving Best Score away.  Actor, Actress, Director, Score, Screenplay for Original and Adapted , and Picture. 

ETA - I'm so glad I took tomorrow off at work.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 1

So when you win an Oscar, it goes to your given names, but didn't Barbra Streisand once proclaim "the Oscar goes to Eminem for "Lose Yourself"?

Nope, it went to Marshall Mathers. She said "Lose Yourself" by Eminem, written and produced by Marshall Mathers and Luis Resto. 

Not sure you should say "Woo!" to the comment that the U.S. has the highest percentage of incarcerations.

The random clapping person from earlier has to find something else to do though to occupy their time.

"Woo! Prison! Yeah! Gun control! Yay! Free shrimp!"

• Love 5

Seven more to go, unless I missed them giving Best Score away.  Actor, Actress, Director, Score, Screenplay for Original and Adapted , and Picture. 

ETA - I'm so glad I took tomorrow off at work.

Didn't they start later? I always thought it started at 8:00, but this year it wasn't until 8:30.

Can't hate on The Sound of Music tribute. I've loved that movie for years. (And I have a serious crush on Christopher Plummer in that movie. Yum.)

ETA: Gaga better not ruin this.

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 3

She's going to be doing a tribute to The Sound of Music, from what I understand.  No, really.

...huh? I...am so confused... what about her says Alps nunnery, Nazi Germany, children, or singing talent?

Gawd help me, I'm diggin' what ScarJo has on.  It's a good color for her.  

I'm sorry but SoM is a movie I hate.  Detest.  Can't watch under any circumstances, even for the hot Christopher Plummer, who still is kinda hot at his 80 plus years.  It's like 2001 - A Space Bore, watched it once, want my time back.  I wonder if I can file a complaint with the Academy? 

• Love 1

Can't hate on The Sound of Music tribute. I've loved that movie for years. (And I have a serious crush on Christopher Plummer in that movie. Yum.)

ETA: Gaga better not ruin this.

There is a great interview with Julie and Christopher in this month's Vanity Fair.  They are great friends.  He hated that movie, or his role/acting anyway.

• Love 1

Next to having "Maria" from "West Side Story" sung to me all day and night, the runner-up was "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria" and it really didn't get old AT ALL.

Hot damn...Lady Gaga sounds pretty good. I know how she made her money, but it's nice to remember that she actually has talent when you strip down all the folderol.

• Love 5