Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Off Ramp

At first I thought I wasn't going to be interested in Tom and Laurie and almost changed the channel when Laurie was breaking into the landlord's house but for some strange reason this episode held my attention.  

Wow, look how far Meg has come.  I honestly thought she was going to set Tom on fire.  As for the sex, well, I don't have words at the moment.  It made me very uncomfortable.

As for Tom being the next Holy guy, I was under the impression at first that he was lying.  That it was a story the two of them thought up on the way home.  But the video of Holy Wayne on the computer must have meant something so maybe Tom can help people by hugging them.  We'll have to wait and see.  

I too am looking forward to getting back to Jarden.  There was a clip on Ellen this past week that must be from the next episode.

• Love 3

An hour with a set of characters I don't give a fig about. The twists at the end (suicide by truck, Laurie attacking the publisher, Tom declaring himself Wayne's heir) did make sticking with it worthwhile but I still hope we get and stay far away from the GR. Now we know why Tom wouldn't hug Jill. He's not sick or on drugs; he's afraid to unleash the power of the hug. 

• Love 10

Now we know why Tom wouldn't hug Jill. He's not sick or on drugs; he's afraid to unleash the power of the hug.

I forgot about that. So that must mean Tom really believes he has a power.

Was the first scene of Laurie washing the car a flash forward to the later scene? Or does she regularly put GRs out of their misery with her car? Regardless, anyone else flash back to that scene in The Bridge with the female assasin hosing down her bloody body at the car wash?

Anyway, I thought it was the most powerful episode of the series. And that, my friends in film editing, is how you do a flashback/previously intro. It was unique and necessary to the episode.

ETA:

http://previously.tv/the-leftovers/the-leftovers-gets-some-parental-guidance/

Breast-Obsessed HBO Shows An Actual Penis HBO has long been known as the boobs-whether-they-serve-the-story-or-not network, but they've always seemed a little...phobic when it came to giving equal time to men's parts. Anyway, we see a little of Tom's dick as he's thrown from the GR truck. While it's not the dick you were maybe waiting for, it is nonetheless a dick on HBO.

Wow, look how far Meg has come. I honestly thought she was going to set Tom on fire. As for the sex, well, I don't have words at the moment. It made me very uncomfortable.

Yes and yes, but as unnecessary as the sex seemed, I was just glad Tom didn't get anything cut off. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Anyway, I thought it was the most powerful episode of the series. And that, my friends in film editing, is how you do a flashback/previously intro. It was unique and necessary to the episode.

When Laurie attacked the publisher I thought it was going to be a dream sequence. Great for them that it wasn't. I loved that scene sort of being like the audience asking the show's creators all these questions and Laurie seemingly attacking the audience.

That sex scene with Meg was pretty disturbing. I wonder if Meg has a plan or was just being self destructive.

• Love 6

I too almost turned this off.  I couldn't care less about Laurie and I only tolerated Tom because he is hot.  And big shout out to writers for showing us ladies some swinging dick! 

But the last 15 minutes, starting with the rape in the truck, kept me from deleting the episode.  I too thought Meg was going to burn Tom up but so glad she didn't.

Now lets get back to Miracle where there are actually storylines I care to follow.

• Love 6

Speaking from the shallow end of the pool, I would happily get in line for a hug from Tom.

So Tom thinks he does have the power or they are making this up to give the GR something to fill up the empty space when they leave? So convenient that I think it's fake.

Those who Holy Wayne hugged appeared to immediately feel better; I believe Tom even said he saw it in their eyes, or something...?   One presumes the ex-GRs would be able to tell if they had that kind of weight lifted from them.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1

One of the very best things about Miracle is that it does not seem to harbor any GR's, so I thought we might be done with them. Interesting that the publisher et al asked exactly the questions about the cult that I (and I am assuming I am not alone in this) wanted to know, and then was attacked by Laurie (as a proxy for the writers?) for asking the questions.

The whole van scene was gross, BUT I wonder if the long-term goal isn't to have Wayne's daughter eventually meet up with the eventual progeny of Huggable Tom if the series lasts long enough. OTHER sci-fi/fantasy series have done rapidly-aging children, so it need not last that long.

Two things amused me: the Departure Insurance and Laurie asking about the return policy at the clothing store.

• Love 3

I'm distracted by Botox when Amy B. cries. Her face looks a bit weird.

I don't know if they are still playing reruns of NYPD Blue, but she was on the first season (1993) of that with David Caruso.

Google some photos of them from back then.

Both of them are harsh reminders of what 22 years can do to the human face.

I really wish Botox and plastic surgery would improve. Right now those procedures only have the power to make a 50-year-old look like a weird 49-year-old.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I forgot to mention how much I liked the the piano version of "Where is my mind" by the Pixies.

I'd say that most of the cast is as crazy as Tyler Durden and Jack. That song is a strong hint at what is going on to me, but I think I should talk about it in the speculation thread.

Once again, I ask myself, what does HBO have against foreplay?

True, but given the inequality on Game of Thrones with regards to female vs male nudity, I appreciate the full frontal here.

Just me or did anyone else think Meg looked like she was pregnant when she walked into that van? 

Not a bad episode but I am dying to get back to Miracle, Emmy Winning Regina King and the mystery of what happened to her daughter and her friend(s). 

I actually loved when Laurie broke into the scuzzy landlord's house and snatched her laptop back from the son while he was in the middle of playing virtual drums on it. LOL!!! 

Laurie's attack on the publishing exec was interesting. I wonder why she snapped. I would guess in an organization where silence is the main tenet, the whys behind doing the things they do aren't explained nor encouraged. Hell, if the first thing told to you as you are walking in the door is that your pain doesn't matter so why would your questions of why I am not allowed to talk or wear a watch matter? 

LOL!! The answer to it all is replacing one cult with another. Nice.

• Love 5

True, but given the inequality on Game of Thrones with regards to female vs male nudity, I appreciate the full frontal here.

Just me or did anyone else think Meg looked like she was pregnant when she walked into that van? 

Not a bad episode but I am dying to get back to Miracle, Emmy Winning Regina King and the mystery of what happened to her daughter and her friend(s). 

I actually loved when Laurie broke into the scuzzy landlord's house and snatched her laptop back from the son while he was in the middle of playing virtual drums on it. LOL!!! 

Laurie's attack on the publishing exec was interesting. I wonder why she snapped. I would guess in an organization where silence is the main tenet, the whys behind doing the things they do aren't explained nor encouraged. Hell, if the first thing told to you as you are walking in the door is that your pain doesn't matter so why would your questions of why I am not allowed to talk or wear a watch matter? 

LOL!! The answer to it all is replacing one cult with another. Nice.

That was fantastic!

I can imagine how stupid she felt when they wanted her to explain aspects of the GR that she couldn't.

What an incredible rube she must have felt like, just following all that crap without questioning it.

However, the basic things that religions and cults require of people is "be a follower and don't ask too many questions. "

• Love 2

The whole van scene was gross, BUT I wonder if the long-term goal isn't to have Wayne's daughter eventually meet up with the eventual progeny of Huggable Tom if the series lasts long enough. OTHER sci-fi/fantasy series have done rapidly-aging children, so it need not last that long.

Noooo!!!! Anything but Star Child Syndrome!

That was the highlight of the episode for me.

The low point was when I thought Tom was going to get a penectomy. :>(

Laurie's attack on the publishing exec was interesting. I wonder why she snapped.

As soon as he started telling her that the ghost writer was going to make it more clear (I forget the exact word), I could vicariously feel her stomach tensing. It takes a lot of experience as an artist, author, web designer, etc. before you can quietly let someone walk up to your creation and totally change it without freaking out.

I'm still wondering if those changes would have prevented the book from having the effect Laurie hoped for. She told Tom he did not need to go back to the GR anymore because her book was going to be published and it would reveal the truth. Pretty tall order for a book.

But why isn't she just publishing online?

So Tom thinks he does have the power or they are making this up to give the GR something to fill up the empty space when they leave? So convenient that I think it's fake.

I think he was lying, he was trying to move and  speak like Wayne. And the timing seems to convenient.

Meg is even creepier than last season. I guess they wanted to show Tom that they were able to do anything to him -raping him, killing him... Some  people are commenting that she wanted to get pregnant, but it was too fast, wasn't it? I mean, I  don't think he came.  

Laurie stealing that computer was hilarious. And I laughed when she attacked the editor, even if it was actually a very sad moment. But god, she was  like a wild animal! I'm starting to understand Patti,  though; Laurie  must be an awful therapist if she really thought that blond woman was doing okay.  She obviously wasn't. Her life was empty even before the Departure.

Someone on that show has to believe that aliens are behind the Departure and I want to meet them.

• Love 5

So, Meg is the new Big Bad. Interesting, but I suppose it makes sense, as Ghost Patti has limited capacity these days.

I'm also torn as to whether Tom's story is a fabrication, or whether it truly represents what happened. The argument as to why he didn't hug Jill is interesting, and is the only thing that leads me to think he didn't make it up. But then again, we never saw any of the events that lead Tom to drop the baby off at Kevin's, did we?

Seems we're not done with either the Guilty Reminant or Holy Wayne.

• Love 3

So, Meg is the new Big Bad. Interesting, but I suppose it makes sense, as Ghost Patti has limited capacity these days.

It must legit be super easy to move up amongst the GR ranks because Meg just joined not that long ago and here she looking and acting like a boss now. And what is the hierarchy and structure anyway? Laurie and Tom were operating under the theory that none of the GR chapters talk to each other and operated like islands or something. It seemed apparent that Tom didn't go back to Laurie's branch so how the hell did Meg get involved or called in? Was he in Hackensack like they talked about? Is she with the regional offices now or what? It just seems weird that a whistle is blown in some chapter somewhere and next thing Tom is handcuff in a box truck and in walks Meg knowing Tom is Laurie's son. 

• Love 4
It seemed apparent that Tom didn't go back to Laurie's branch so how the hell did Meg get involved or called in? Was he in Hackensack like they talked about? Is she with the regional offices now or what? It just seems weird that a whistle is blown in some chapter somewhere and next thing Tom is handcuff in a box truck and in walks Meg knowing Tom is Laurie's son.

They knew Laurie was taking people out of the GR (as they showed up at her makeshift therapy office).  I wouldn't be shocked if they had cameras in the houses and saw Tom encourage those people to leave, so they were keeping an eye out for him.  I'm sure they also kept a file on Laurie, and likely knew the connection between she and Tom.  As to Meg, I would guess she would be called in because of her connection to Laurie.  It was a little surprising that Meg appeared to be so highly ranked in the GR now, but perhaps the Mapleton ranks were pretty much emptied after the riots, leaving her to hopscotch to the front of the line.     

• Love 2

Laurie's gleeful laptop robbery showed that at least the GR's house breaking training is still paying off for her.

I loved the mom's repeated "WTF?" as she ran after her.  That whole sequence was hilarious.  Easy come, easy go, kid.

So I guess that's it for Laurie's book?  She's going the way of Holy Tom?

I forgot to mention how much I liked the the piano version of "Where is my mind" by the Pixies.

I'd say that most of the cast is as crazy as Tyler Durden and Jack. That song is a strong hint at what is going on to me, but I think I should talk about it in the speculation thread.

That was a really good version of "Where is my mind ?"

What nearly made me change the channel was the drum solos in the 1st half of the episode.  Man, those bugged.

• Love 3

Yep, I've seen SO many bare chested women on HBO. I appreciate when there's some full-frontal male nudity. So yay for this show and for the actor who plays Tom for agreeing to do it (and doing a lot of it - not just a super brief scene).

Meg looked pregnant to me when she walked into the van but maybe it's just the dress that she was wearing. She didn't look pregnant when she took off her underwear. Liv Tyler is also relatively closer to "normal" (ie: non-stick figure) size as far as celebrities go (although she's obviously super thin for a regular person, she looks more like a regular person than many actresses). She also just had a baby in February 2015. I had a baby a few months before her and I know my lower stomach still kind of looks a little fuller than pre-pregnancy. I think she's beautiful. I've never seen her play a villain, so I'm excited about seeing her be a badass cult boss. If tonight's episode was any indication, it's going to be amazing. (However, outside of her scenes I really don't need to see the GR again.)

I think Tom looks a lot better clean-shaven. I usually like stubble but something about his mustache skeeves me out. I don't think Tom has any powers from "Holy" Wayne, but I'm not sure that he doesn't believe that he does. I was so bored (and pissed to see the GR again) until the van scene. Then the episode got much better. I'm still more excited about what's going on in Miracle with Regina King's family and Kevin's family than Tom & Laurie's new cult, though. Unless the actor who plays Tom is going to do some more full frontal nude scenes. Speaking of....your move, Justin Theroux.

• Love 5

I thought this episode was great, for the most part. I actually didn't realize how much I cared about Laurie and Tom and wanted them to be ok. It was such a relief to see her outside of the GR and moving forward. 

The rape scene left a bad taste in my mouth, beyond the obvious reasons. It just felt as though there was an attempt to make it "sexy" and titillating, with how it was shot. It doesn't help that Damon Lindelof, in post-ep interviews, has refrained from calling it rape and has been saying some weird stuff about it.

I really felt like Tom was lying at the end until I remembered that he hadn't hugged Jill and he must be telling the truth. But something about the way he was telling the story felt fake and I really really really don't want Laurie and Tom to start their own cult. I just want them to go back to their normal lives, dammit!

• Love 6
But something about the way he was telling the story felt fake and I really really really don't want Laurie and Tom to start their own cult. I just want them to go back to their normal lives, dammit!

Heh.  I feel like Laurie is way too damaged to ever be "normal" again.  Tom is a close second.  Though credit where it is due, magical hugs are a much easier sell than Laurie's hit or miss deprogramming. 

• Love 6

Why don't more people just flat-out murder GR members? It's not like the police or any government organization will do anything about it. At least call the cops if you catch them trespassing. I just don't buy the conceit that they're just there and there's nothing that can be done. I don't in any way condone religious oppression, but the show has given us a world that does.

• Love 4

Heh.  I feel like Laurie is way too damaged to ever be "normal" again.  Tom is a close second.

Yeah, life as Laurie knew it before the Departure is over. I mean, it's over for everyone, but for her there's nothing to go back to, no pieces to pick up. Her ex-husband started a new family and moved across the country, and her daughter, who almost got killed following her into a cult, is with them and won't speak to her. She blew up her entire life for nothing and she's smart enough to know it. Getting a normal life back would mean intensive therapy and treatment for PTSD at the VERY least, and maybe moving away and starting a quiet life somewhere. 

I was less bothered by the blonde's suicide as I was by the fact that she took her husband and child with her. Awful. I think Laurie was willing herself to believe she was doing good, which is why she couldn't - wouldn't - see that the blonde was nowhere near OK. 

I don't understand why the GR thrives unchecked either - they frequently cross the line of civil disobedience (and people get arrested during acts of civil disobedience all the time). Like, Meg just raped someone. They kidnapped Tom. These are criminal acts.

• Love 5

Yeah, I was not thrilled to see the return of the GR, or as I like to call them, the Asshole Brigade. But, this actually was a pretty compelling episode. And that's saying something as I REALLY did not care for Laurie last season. I actually felt for her here. She seemed to really think she was doing good, and it back fired horribly. 

So Tom is planning on being the new messiah? I really cant tell right now if he thinks he is for real, or if its just another alternative to the GR and the other cults. 

That version of Where is My Mind was wonderful. It set a great mood. 

So does Laurie just drive around, mowing over GR people in her car now? Is that just her new Thursday night tradition? Is that why she keeps washing her car? 

I wonder is smoking has actually gone way down, because no one wants to be associated with the Asshole Brigade? 

When did HBO and the rating systems start actually separating rape from the usual "strong sexual content" or whatever?  Because this was the first time I ever saw it under the TV-MA symbol, and I know for a fact that this isn't the first rape scene ever on HBO.  Game of Thrones should have gotten one for ever three episodes or so, at the very least.

If someone told me that I would find an episode only focused on Laurie, Tom, Meg, and the fucking Guilty Remanent, compelling, I wouldn't have believed it.  And, yet I did.  I liked seeing Laurie trying to get her life back and trying to put some kind of dent in the GR, but in the end, failing to do so.  And I don't think she even knew that Tom was raped, although she had to at least figure out Meg did something to him, and probably feels guilt over that.  Also, Meg apparently moving up in the GR is intriguing, and I'm curious to see if she'll be different then Patti was as the "face" of the GR.  Finally, Tom possibly embracing the Holy Wayne persona, and breaking out the magical hugs, was something I wasn't expected.  I really have no idea if he believes it or is just trying to help the former GRs.

I thought Amy Brenneman and Chris Zylka gave great performances in this episode.

Great diversion, but I'm glad that it looks like next week is going back to Miracle, and the aftermath of all the crazy shit that just went down.

• Love 7

Usually I repeat watch an episode to make sense of it.  This week's was so pervasively depressing that I couldn't bring myself to watch it again.  Disagree with me if you want but I think Liv Tyler has the deadest eyes since Bruce the shark in Jaws.

• Love 2

I was less bothered by the blonde's suicide as I was by the fact that she took her husband and child with her. Awful. I think Laurie was willing herself to believe she was doing good, which is why she couldn't - wouldn't - see that the blonde was nowhere near OK. 

She had to, though. Laurie made her promise she would never leave her family again. Oops.

• Love 6

Great episode! It left me very tense, though, with the music, and the storylines! This is the second appearance of "Tommy's" penis- in season one he was swimming naked and we got a glimpse. This sounds awful and I am not making light of rape, but it seems Meg is the new Patty, and her punishment of raping Tommy and threatening to light him on fire, would have been so much worse if it had been Patty. Is Meg going to accuse Tommy of rape, or use emotional blackmail of having Tommy's baby to somehow try to control Laurie? I thought Laurie was on the mend until the blond woman she was trying to help said Laurie was angry, and then I knew. So does Tommy have Holy Wayne's gift or doesn't he? At first it seemed obvious it was a charade to give the former GR's something to fill the void, but then as others have pointed out, Tommy refused to hug Jill. He did hug his mother, though. Is there any way that Meg and the GR could know about Tommy's " gift", and want his offspring because of it? When it was mentioned that someone in Australia claimed to be immortal, and have been brought back from the dead I immediately thought Kevin Garvey's Father, but, then again, maybe it will be Holy Wayne?!

• Love 2

Yep, I did.

I'd forgotten Perotta is an author, which made the scenario regarding the book even stranger to me. It's been a long time since publishers took in unsolicited manuscripts - like last century.  The "new" model is to shop your book to an agent, who then shops it to publishers. Unless things have shifted radically since the last time I shopped my work. 

The rape scene was disturbing, but what is more disturbing to me is it being referred to as a sex scene in the recap and apparently other articles. Would that be true if the roles had been reversed? 

I found it more interesting than I thought I would, and am not sure if he's Holy Tom or not, but I think it's an interesting twist. Now I'd like to get back to Miracle, please.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

Yep, I did.

I'd forgotten Perotta is an author, which made the scenario regarding the book even stranger to me. It's been a long time since publishers took in unsolicited manuscripts - like last century.  The "new" model is to shop your book to an agent, who then shops it to publishers. Unless things have shifted radically since the last time I shopped my work. 

The rape scene was disturbing, but what is more disturbing to me is it being referred to as a sex scene in the recap and apparently other articles. Would that be true if the roles had been reversed? 

I found it more interesting than I thought I would, and am not sure if he's Holy Tom or not, but I think it's an interesting twist. Now I'd like to get back to Miracle, please.

Isn't there still a slush pile, though? It seems plausible to me that a former GR tell-all would be picked out of the pile.

• Love 1

It's been a while, but my understanding is that publishing houses don't accept any manuscripts (ie no slush piles) due to all the plagiarism law suits.That's why they require you to go through an agent instead. If someone is more familiar with the current process, it would be interesting to hear the details.

So does Tommy have Holy Wayne's gift or doesn't he?

To believe Tommy has the gift, we first have to believe Holy Wayne had a gift first.  His hug didn't do Nora any good, did it?  She was still hiring hookers to shoot her.

Tommy might believe.  I'm not sure how cynical he is.

• Love 3

Since Perotta is a published author of books, maybe this scenario indicates that post-apocalypse (the disappearances do constitute an apocalypse, right?) that the publishing industry has taken a turn towards accepting the literary equivalent of reality TV.
  • Love 1

Since Perotta is a published author of books, maybe this scenario indicates that post-apocalypse (the disappearances do constitute an apocalypse, right?) that the publishing industry has taken a turn towards accepting the literary equivalent of reality TV.

Good point. Instead of zombies, we get slush piles. Oh the horror!

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

It's possible that Laurie, a first-time author, didn't really know the proper process and went to the publisher straight-away rather than get a literary agent.

I liked seeing Laurie trying to get her life back and trying to put some kind of dent in the GR, but in the end, failing to do so.

Well, Laurie put at least one dent in a GR member.  :)

• Love 3

What nearly made me change the channel was the drum solos in the 1st half of the episode.  Man, those bugged.

I just watched the episode again and remembered this comment and started laughing so hard that I could hardly explain what was funny to my GF.

WTF?

I can barely imagine what the production meeting was like when that idea was pitched.

I'm thinking it was the idea of some new-age beatnik slam poet guy, and for some reason they listened to him.

• Love 3

It's been a while, but my understanding is that publishing houses don't accept any manuscripts (ie no slush piles) due to all the plagiarism law suits.That's why they require you to go through an agent instead. If someone is more familiar with the current process, it would be interesting to hear the details.

The largest publishers (the "Big 5") take a hard line against unsolicited (non-agented) manuscripts. You can be 99.9% sure anything you send them that isn't agented will literally go straight to the garbage/recycling. For other publishers, policies vary. The fictional publisher here appears to be a smaller house, and he mentions they "don't usually take unsolicited submissions" but that they still have someone reading the slush pile, which isn't too unusual -- they still ignore most of what's sent, but reserve the right to grab something that looks interesting for whatever reason.

• Love 3

To believe Tommy has the gift, we first have to believe Holy Wayne had a gift first. His hug didn't do Nora any good, did it? She was still hiring hookers to shoot her.

Tommy might believe. I'm not sure how cynical he is.

i thought the hookers were before Nora hugged Wayne and that she was acting well-adjusted afterward, but her newfound peace was destroyed by the GR's horrendous tableaux in her kitchen. But I may be misremembering the sequence of events.

I'm really enjoying this season. I groaned when I first saw it would be a Laurie/Tom episode, but it went in such an unexpected direction that I loved it. I'll admit that I am weird in that I like seeing the Guilty Remnant, even though I hate them and want to run them over, too!

Edited by Rockfish
  • Love 5

Poster xxpo on IMDb just pointed out that Laurie is now using Tom the same way Holy Wayne was using Tom. There are similarities, but now Tom gets to be Holy Wayne. Kind of Oedipal. I appreciate the complexities of the show's plots. Hopefully they won't get wound into a Gordian Knot--or would that be a Lostian Knot?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

And that, my friends in film editing, is how you do a flashback/previously intro. It was unique and necessary to the episode.

And for those who have been watching Project Greenlight--that, Jason, is how you do a horrific car crash without a single impact shot.