Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Pumpkin Patch

Dean Munsch's Halloween announcement impacts the campus and Chanel's plan to throw a pumpkin-patch party to support her presidential campaign. Meanwhile, Grace and Pete put together a search party for a missing friend, which puts them in close contact with the Red Devil; and Chanel #3 and #5 learn how life could be without Chanel.

Hey! Title Sequence! I like it.

Ending shocked me. Gigi's in on it?

I wonder if Earl Gray is one of the Red Devils. He's there, but doesn't show up often, and is shown to have feelings for Zayday, plus he only first appeared at the end of the 2 hour premiere.

• Love 2

Despite the last scene, it suddenly occurred to me that Zayday is a likely suspect.

I was watching Denise's scene with the Dean and it occurred to me that Murphy is the kind of showrunner that would love to be able to say ...'hey viewer, one of these characters told you multiple times per episode who the killer was and you ignored it.  I even had her grandmother send her a chainsaw for protection in the Chainsaw episode and you ignored it.' 

I was watching the scene where she explained her escape and thought about the line that escaping the Red Devil would be a great platform to run for President.  Then I thought, how are they going to throw suspicion off Zayday....then Gigi meets with the Red Devil.  Yep.  Check that box.

• Love 3

I thought this episode was a lot more tonally consistent than the last one.

Parts of this show really make me appreciate how strong some of the cast of Glee really were, because any time Abigail Breslin gets handed one of those signature Murphy-style rants I can't help but imagine Jane Lynch or Naya Rivera doing it.  The guy playing Chad was struggling mightily with his big comedic speech this week, but it didn't really connect.

I don't recall but did we see the baby in the pilot? Because I'm wondering if ZayDay is the bathtub baby. We all think because her mom was white, the kid was white...but she could be biracial and biracial children come in all shades...

Denise having not only nailed Chad, but them doing regular role play with extensive dialogue AND Denise saying he was the best?! I.want.to.see.this. Or at least Denise and Chad in a scene being sassy to each other.

Not shocked about Gigi. Once she was left alone with the Red Devil and wasn't killed in the escape and was accepted by Grace, you knew she had to be in on it. To what end? Not sure. Her fight with the Red Devil back at the sorority house was either staged to get in good with Oliver Hudson or it was a Red Devil she wasn't in on the plan with.

I don't recall but did we see the baby in the pilot? Because I'm wondering if ZayDay is the bathtub baby. We all think because her mom was white, the kid was white...but she could be biracial and biracial children come in all shades...

Both the baby and mother were seen and were Caucasian.

• Love 2

I wonder if the title credits are a Halloween thing or will it be present from here on out.

I did enjoy the references, we need a list to keep track of it at this point.

Except for the truly awful scene with  Chanel #5 and the twins the episode was ok. Not as funny as the past episodes but flowed ok and had some nice twist.

I hope Chanel #5 does not get the focus again I find her the weakest of the regular players.

I do like they are not even trying to be subtle in their movie/tv references. They just throw them out there do or die.

Also why is Lucian Lusviscourt aka Earl Grey a regular it is episode5 and he has hardly had anything.

Edited by tom87

I actually really like the opening credits. More of that!

Hey, I could buy Zayday as a Red Devil. That could be super neat, and we'd probably have an 'I TOLD YOU SO, BITCHES' from Denise before getting her head cut off by the chainsaw. Plus, why did the Red Devil let her go so easily, AND make her food? Something just doesn't add up there. Unless it's someone who does know Zayday, likes her and wants her to win the presidency in the house. 

In that case, I guess that eliminates Chanel as a Red Devil, and THE Red Devil. 

Gigi knows the Red Devils and is either running this operation, or using them for her own advantage. Who is 'him', anyway? Hmm....I'm all in. And I knew it. I knew Gigi had to be involved in some way. 

I still think Chanel #3, Hester, Chad and Denise are my favourites. Ant Girl is too creepy for me now. That is something I did NOT want to learn. 

• Love 1

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time understanding what Chanel #3 says? Her voice is very low, & she doesn't enunciate, most of the time I don't have a clue as to what she's saying.

• Love 2

I saw references to Silence of the Lambs, Orange is the New Black, and even Lost. That one was unexpected. This show is growing on me.

And The Shining (the hedge maze).

Still not sure about this show. I keep watching, because it's something mindless I can half pay attention to, and I like the sets, some of the ridiculous dialogue and OTT costumes. But I notice I never laugh at it. Well, rarely. Now and then something strikes me as funny, but mostly it just seems forced. I think it would make a better movie or short-run series. Hard to see this continuing for any substantial number of episodes or seasons.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time understanding what Chanel #3 says? Her voice is very low, & she doesn't enunciate, most of the time I don't have a clue as to what she's saying.

She talks way too fast, too. I had to rewind one section three times to catch what she was saying (about houses with pits being hard to find on the market). Takes a lot of the humor out of it when you can't understand what they're saying. Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1

And The Shining (the hedge maze).

Still not sure about this show. I keep watching, because it's something mindless I can half pay attention to, and I like the sets, some of the ridiculous dialogue and OTT costumes. But I notice I never laugh at it. Well, rarely. Now and then something strikes me as funny, but mostly it just seems forced. I think it would make a better movie or short-run series. Hard to see this continuing for any substantial number of episodes or seasons.

It is a short run series this story line will be wrapped up in 13 episodes.  If it continues it  will be a different story and location.

It is a short run series this story line will be wrapped up in 13 episodes.  If it continues it  will be a different story and location.

That's good to know, thanks. I will stick with it, then, since I've come this far. I still prefer American Horror Story, though!

Did anyone else notice that as the Red Devil crept up behind Gigi when they were investigating the house, it looked like manicured nails sticking out from the gloves? I hadn't noticed that in other scenes with the Red Devil, so I'm wondering if there really are two killers - one of them being a woman. The sorority sister living in the trailer mentioned that one of the sisters had gone crazy, so maybe she's the killer Gigi is ordering around.

The Shining maze was pretty cool, but Chanel #5 and the twins were annoying. I like Abigail Breslin, but she just seems so miscast. Hester was hilarious as usual, though. Girl is a master manipulator and I'm interested to see what else she has up her sleeve. I feel like there's something up with Zayday, too, just not sure what. Curious to see if anyone appears with a bandaged hand next week since she apparently speared the Devil.

Edited by obxchick
  • Love 2

Not another bad episode but they need to start killing off a main character or two.

The last scene with Gigi made sense considering what we saw last week with the character.

Denise and Cathy comparing notes on Chad's performance was funny enough.

They finally added the opening credits after five episodes.

Hester undermining Chanel is interesting enough too. Really can't stand No 5 though, terrible acting from Breslin this week, 7/10

• Love 1

This show is so forced and cringeworthy. Why do I watch it? 

She talks way too fast, too. I had to rewind one section three times to catch what she was saying (about houses with pits being hard to find on the market). Takes a lot of the humor out of it when you can't understand what they're saying.

Welcome to my world. I'm not a native speaker (I write and speak well enough, but listening comprehension is still a problem, even 20 years after I've started learning English). Sometimes I download subtitles, sometimes they're not out yet or I'm just too lazy. This was one of those cases, haven't caught a few lines, although I doubt they were funny enough to bother.

Edited by FurryFury

Seriously, I hardly remember anything from this show after I watch it. Except for like brief things like, "oh hey look the credits are on" and also, "Chanel got arrested but then got out and here I was thinking the show would do an orange is the new black thing but whatever" and then some other stuff happened. Gigi is also in cahoots with red devil, along with Nick Jonas who is chilling in that freezer from the 2nd episode I guess.  Or is a possible killer, if there are more than one. Otherwise, eh. This show is still a thing I'm watching though I am not so sure why. 

Did anyone catch Pete's line of "we're her only hope" when talking to Chanel 3? Made me think of Princess Leia's plea to Obi Wan. :D

Given the fact Chanel #3 is Carrie Fisher's daughter in the real world it may very well have been intentional.

• Love 4

You know what? I think I just love this show. I laughed pretty much constantly. It's not Mad Men, but it's not supposed to be. It's a bloody froth of ridiculousness and I enjoy every damned minute. 

• Love 4

That would be great, I wish we had some other AHS alums here too.

I think Zach Quinto would've had a blast on this show. He could've played a creepy professor or Janitor.

Denise Hemphill vs. Patti LaBelle as Zayday's chainsaw wielding grandmother is something that needs to happen.

• Love 6

I saw references to Silence of the Lambs, Orange is the New Black, and even Lost. That one was unexpected. This show is growing on me.

I liked them, too. And everyone so casually talking about how they've slept with Chad. 

They've shown the opening credits before, haven't they? Or did I see them online?

This was probably my least favorite episode so far. I was excited when I realized that Chanel #5 would be the focus - because the character has grown on me, and I like Breslin as an actress - but I was really disappointed. Breslin's acting was...off, to say the least. I agree that she's the weak link in the cast. She's ok when she's just a background character, but she can't carry an episode.

I hated the stupid chase scene with #5 and the brothers. I wish they had played it straight, because it could have been suspenseful and creepy. Instead, it was cheesy as fuck; the "humor" was just too much. I get that this show isn't concerned with being scary, but still.

My favorite scene was Chanel with the inmates and then her slow-mo walk out of the prison.

I don't know what to make of Zayday.

Can they please stop dressing Grace in such ugly clothing? She needs a makeover from the Chanel's, stat.

I guess I was wrong when I said a few episodes ago that Gigi isn't in on it. I'm still not convinced that she's partners with the actual killer, though- she might be working with a red devil, not the Red Devil. She didn't say anything about killing anyone, just that "he" needs to be taken care of, which could mean anything on this show.

They really need to start knocking off some of the main cast rather than nobodies and guest stars. I mean, we're five episodes in and the only notable characters to be killed are Chanel #2, Miss Bean, and Boone (and he isn't even really dead. Where the hell is he anyway??). Even the frat guy who got his arms cut off managed to survive. They could at least take out some of the lesser sorority sisters, like Sam or Candle/Ant Girl.

Lastly, I'm with tom87- why is Earl Grey considered a regular? Dude is gorgeous, but he's had, what, 5 lines? I understand he and Zayday start dating, so maybe he becomes a bigger character in the second half of the season.

Edited by mack6986
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying the show so far. The only thing that is really irking me at the moment is that they are writing and directing Jamie Lee Curtis the way they did Jane Lynch on Glee and I personally found that less and less humorous as time went on. Also, I agree that they need to start killing off more characters that we actually care about instead of people who we are just meeting and thus have no emotional investment in.

• Love 1

I think Zach Quinto would've had a blast on this show. He could've played a creepy professor or Janitor.

Denise Hemphill vs. Patti LaBelle as Zayday's chainsaw wielding grandmother is something that needs to happen.

I know right, it could've been fun.

Hey, I could buy Zayday as a Red Devil.

Secondly.... I am really starting to think Zayday did it... I don't know... I think they are gonna have that plot twist revealed by the end of the season..

And Red Devil served her Oakland Nachos. How many people know that's her favorite? Was that scene supposed to be real, or just Zayday's version of "what happened?"

The only parts of the show worth watching were the Niecey Nash scenes.

I LOVE Niecey Nash. LURVE. But her character is tap dancing (hard) on the line of the "oh so sassy, gum popping, overly dramatic, sister-girl" trope. I know this show is a trope fest, but that stereotype makes me cringey. 

• Love 4

I love Niecy Nash because she is making her character the perfect over the top stereotype. The line where she said if you get scured (not scared), loved it. Then where she tells Gigi she might cut some and begs her not to tell anyone. Maybe its because I loved "Reno 911" but she is the main reason I keep on watching.

Oh and for the 80's music flashbacks, love Kim Wilde!

Maybe they should just list characters who haven't slept with Chad, it would be faster, he is quite the man whore. And where is Boone, and what the hell is going in with him?

• Love 1

And Red Devil served her Oakland Nachos. How many people know that's her favorite? Was that scene supposed to be real, or just Zayday's version of "what happened?"

I think its similar to the scene where Chanel got attacked by the red devil (first episode) and we only see what she describes and not what actually happen so the audience doesn't necessarily know if its the real story 

I think its similar to the scene where Chanel got attacked by the red devil (first episode) and we only see what she describes and not what actually happen so the audience doesn't necessarily know if its the real story

Right, it was told from Zayday's point of view in flashback.  It didn't happen in real time.

I didn't particularly like the title sequence.. in fact I'd go as far as saying I didn't like it at all. If it were only 30 seconds long maybe but all that screaming was just meh.

I sort of loved that the guy who had both arms sawn off survived and is now totally ok with having no arms. Sounds legit :P

Chad's weird speech and the fact he has slept with pretty much everyone was stupid but enjoyable.

I don't know why Grace wouldn't knock when going into her Dad's bedroom! Regardless of whether he normally has visitors or not.

What was the Lost reference? The hatch? Or something different?

I prefer what Grace wears over the other girls.. I can't imagine her wearing a fluffy weird coat thing like Chanel, her clothes are mostly terrible, although she did look good dressed as Jackie Kennedy!

• Love 1

I didn't particularly like the title sequence.. in fact I'd go as far as saying I didn't like it at all. If it were only 30 seconds long maybe but all that screaming was just meh.

I sort of loved that the guy who had both arms sawn off survived and is now totally ok with having no arms. Sounds legit :P

Chad's weird speech and the fact he has slept with pretty much everyone was stupid but enjoyable.

I don't know why Grace wouldn't knock when going into her Dad's bedroom! Regardless of whether he normally has visitors or not.

I think their relationship is fucking weird and I'm not even convinced that he's her biological father. In fact, her father is just an odd dude all around and the fact that he's into the crazed 90s character tells me that he definitely shouldn't be ruled out. He might even actually be Chanel #1's bio dad. 

I think they're trying to go for that cute, super close Daddy Daughter relationship, Gilmore Girls style. Like he's a cool Dad or something.

Also wanted to add that Emma Roberts was so much like SMG in the halloween/pumpkin patch mock up part of the episode that it creeps me out.