Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought Loren's family condo is in Boynton Beach...home of early birds, tons of podiatrists, it is north of Boca...

it is an hour - at least - from Miami- more from South Beach - consider traffic, parking...just to drag reluctant Alexie to casting calls...ouch

Loren loves the cameras...I bet she is dreaming of future shows..."married the 1st year"  type...or ? she would go on any reality show in future I think

• Love 3

That reminds me of a funny Boca story ... my in-laws live there, and my MIL was a real estate agent in Boca.  She sold houses in a very fancy development while they were in the building stage, and when some people who bought there went to close or move in or whatever, they discovered to their HORROR they actually had a Delray Beach address!!! omg the shame of it all .... their houses were located just a smidgen over the line and they actually SUED the development for misrepresentation.  Having a Boca address is truly that important to some people.  They will settle for less house if they have to, just so they can "live in Boca."

I remember that- Wasn't it The Polo Club or something similar?
  • Love 1

Respectfully disagree with your assessment of Alexei.  I think Loren is totally overwhelming him with her desire for him to be a model, and he's going along to get along but he has definitely made it clear that he's not enjoying it.  

Bashing someone's looks isn't nice either!

It isn't nice, but sure seems to happen a lot around here. SMDH.

• Love 2

The odds in Vegas are in Melanie's and Devar's favor that they will be the only couple that has a successful long term marriage. Melanie's son Hunter will come by their house to spoon feed his mother and and step father and change their Depends diapers. I agree with the Vegas odds, Melanie and Devar wil be married an loooooong time.

Edited by TPE-331

The odds in Vegas are in Melanie's and Devar's favor that they will be the only couple that has a successful long term marriage. Melanie's son Hunter will come by their house to spoon feed his mother and and step father and change their Depends diapers. I agree with the Vegas odds, Melanie and Devar wil be married an loooooong time.

I don't know....I just don't see it.  I don't think they are at the same place in life.  I think she wants a traditional husband and father figure.  I don't think Devar is ready for all of that.  He was likely babied at home and enjoyed living a carefree life on the beach.  I don't get the impression he has a vast education, or thought very much on improving his situation beyond the resort employee.  Melanie has expectations, and Devar may not be totally into that.  I get the feeling he is somewhat just going along for the ride.  

To date, she has been the one making the majority of sacrifices.  She has gone over there numerous times to visit him, on her own dime.  If she stayed with him, she should have gotten a better idea of his relationship with his sisters, so she may have stayed at a hotel during her visits.  And even if she didn't, all he had to do was put her up for a few days at a time.  I guess he gave up his life in Jamaica, but right now what does that really mean?  At worst, its an extended vacation for him in America on someone elses dime.

• Love 3

Oh yes.

• Love 3

If you travel to the Caribbean in the off season you can get an all-inclusive travel package really cheap at the resorts. Flight, hotel and meals plus all you can drink for next to nothing. That may be what Melanie used. And Devar MAY have had discounts he used.

• Love 1

I don't understand why some of the Americans are so passive with their family members. Why don't they stand up for their fiances? Josh never intervenes on Aleksandra's behalf. Fernando's mom is insulting her at the dinner table and Fernando just sits there and never says anything. Melanie's sisters run all over her. It's so annoying.

Nikki and Mark are so uncomfortable to watch. Noon on the other hand is a delight.

• Love 9

When Nikki asked what Ocean City is like, I wanted to tell her "crowded as all hell." I was so glad when I became an adult so I wouldn't have to endure another summer driving over the terrifying Bay Bridge with my family and sitting out on that crowded beach with Maryland's finest.

Fernando's mom = Estelle Costanza. I hope Carolina can become friends with the hated neighbor lady. And I hope she feeds all the stray cats in the neighborhood.

All Devar's statements end with this sort of Cheshire cat grin that kind of cracks me up.

Aleksandra's mom is kind of a babe. I'm glad she researched what her daughter was getting into.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 11

Is it just TOO MUCH to ask for that Mark try doing something with Nikki that he hasn't already done with his ex-wife? Is he too stupid to recognize that every time he starts off with "My ex-wife...", Nikki shuts down?

It's mind boggling to me that he can't think of anything original to do with her... but then again, he's probably start off with "My ex-wife would never do this..."

Edited by locomoco
  • Love 10

When Nikki asked what Ocean City is like, I wanted to tell her "crowded as all hell." I was so glad when I became an adult so I wouldn't have to endure another summer driving over the terrifying Bay Bridge with my family and sitting out on that crowded beach with Maryland's finest.

I'm with ya!  When I was a teenager, OC was the place to go for your wild weekends and whatnot - spring break, etc.  Not exactly the beauty spot of the east coast!

eta:  I'm talking the late '70's here

Edited by Honley Lass

What Fernando's mom thinks and says about Carolina is completely real. Hell, it's happened with my family. My family is Dominican and I hear similar things like what his mom said from my own parents about other parts of Latin America (e.g., Colombians, Mexicans, Salvadorans) and even other Dominicans. It's gotten to the point that I've been more than encouraged to date and marry outside Latin America.

• Love 2

Is it just TOO MUCH to ask for that Mark try doing something with Nikki that he hasn't already done with his ex-wife? Is he too stupid to recognize that every time he starts off with "My ex-wife...", Nikki shuts down?

It's mind boggling to me that he can't think of anything original to do with her... but then again, he's probably start off with "My ex-wife would never do this..."

Well, it would have to be something original, and something a 19 year old girl would be interested in that wouldn't risk the hip of a man who is almost 60....

• Love 8

Loren says, "I don't want him to be miserable because if he is miserable, I am miserable."

How about you don't want him to be miserable because you love him and want to make him happy? She really is all about herself. SMH

I loved this. I haven't followed her on social media, but I can see her as being someone who is majorly pissed about her edit, and taking every opportunity to tell the world how unfair it was. Sorry, Loren, but they can't edit you into being a selfish bitch without any material to work with.

• Love 5

Kyle brining Noon to the Buddhist temple this week and talking about it as a wedding venue was very sweet.  I haven't been a fan of his, but he definitely is showing more effort as time goes on.  He's obviously very uncomfortable about his relationship with his parents, but that's something that Noon has a right to know about as his future wife.  Hopefully he'll have disclosed the rest off-camera.

Loren, ew, again.  The most she could muster was that Alexei's potential modeling career wasn't worth starting a fight over?  How about you want him to feel happy and fulfilled in his career, and not just do it because you're pressuring him?  I'm glad he stood up for himself, but the way she was pouting and carrying on for so long before giving in does not bode well for future issues.  Run, Alexei!

Nikki and Elise were so awkward, but even in their apparently short time together, Elise saw what we're all seeing, which is that for a woman about to get married, Nikki seems miserable and should probably call this off and go home.  Mark was so full of it when Nikki finally brought up his talking about his "past" - maybe he genuinely doesn't realize how much he's comparing Nikki to his ex, but he hardly acknowledged it and was not particularly apologetic, either.  It's pretty sad to think that he hasn't been married to his ex in around 20 years (judging by Elise's age) and is not only still living in the past, but pulling his new fiance into it as well.

Fernando's mom, I can't even.  Carolina showed a lot of restraint with all the shit she was saying about Colombians.  I can't imagine anyone could tolerate that for long, though.  Maybe Fernando is used to this behavior and doesn't realize how offensive an outsider would find it, but he had plenty of opportunities to stand up for Carolina and took none of them that we saw.  

• Love 7

I don't understand why some of the Americans are so passive with their family members. Why don't they stand up for their fiances? Josh never intervenes on Aleksandra's behalf. Fernando's mom is insulting her at the dinner table and Fernando just sits there and never says anything. Melanie's sisters run all over her. It's so annoying.

Nikki and Mark are so uncomfortable to watch. Noon on the other hand is a delight.

As far as Josh goes, it's because he's such a BOY. Like, a child. And this is coming from a female one year older than him. He seems like such a sweet kid, but that's just it. He's a kid, and he probably never had to really disagree with Mommy and Daddy before. He reminds me so much of Danny from last season. I like both Josh and Aleksandra so much, but I don't think either of them are ready to be married, especially him.

In Fernando's case, it's because he's a 39 year old man child that needed someone to cook and clean for him, and in turn he puts up with hearing all the nasty things she says.

• Love 5

The worse Carolina feels about herself, the more likely she is to think that she is lucky to land Fernando McBoobs and never leave.  

Fernando doesn't have to do the dirty work of chipping away at Carolina's self esteem when he can have mommy do it for him.  The only person that loses in that scenario is Carolina.....and Fernando could really give two shits about Carolina.

• Love 8

Mark is seriously clueless and still gross.

Melanie's mom had some strong genes. They all look like her.

I'll hang out with Aleksandra's parents. They probably like to have fun. Ironic that Sister Wives is the show before this one since Aleksandra's thought that's what Mormons were like. Josh's parents are about as fun as watching paint dry.

I hope Alexei realizes 90 days is 89 days too long with Loren.

I don't get Carolina and Fernando AT ALL. I'm glad they finally put on their seat belts

• Love 5

Why in the heck is Melanie going all out like she is a virginal bride having her first wedding? Go buy a nice, white cocktail dress and call it a day.

I'm such a sucker for weddings, and if a couple is in a place to have a big wedding, then I'm all for it. But if Melanie is saying that she has no money (because she spent it all on trips to Jamaica) and Devar can't make money, then they shouldn't be wasting it on a big wedding.

Also, just a guess but I can see Melanie as someone who will spend like 50% of the wedding budget on her dress, and then feed everyone twinkies and get a keg. Again, nothing wrong with low budget weddings, but I believe that the majority of the budget should be focused on ensuring that everyone has a good time, not just the bride.

Regarding Josh - I think in his case maybe his religion has something to do with his reticence in speaking up. He may feel that he can't disrespect his parents by taking Aleksandra's side against them.

People love to drum the old "honor thy mother and father" into their kids' heads as hard as possible. But there is a difference between honoring and respectfully disagreeing and blind obedience. Now I don't know much about his religion or his family, but I don't think he was taught that there is a difference.

• Love 5

I'm such a sucker for weddings, and if a couple is in a place to have a big wedding, then I'm all for it. But if Melanie is saying that she has no money (because she spent it all on trips to Jamaica) and Devar can't make money, then they shouldn't be wasting it on a big wedding.

Also, just a guess but I can see Melanie as someone who will spend like 50% of the wedding budget on her dress, and then feed everyone twinkies and get a keg. Again, nothing wrong with low budget weddings, but I believe that the majority of the budget should be focused on ensuring that everyone has a good time, not just the bride.

My gift would be reflective in that case.  

To me, if a couples duty is to make sure I have a good time, I try to reflect the cost of my meal and entertainment in my gift + $20-30.  I feel like its some unwritten contract that I have made up in my head.

If I'm having a good time a reasonable meal and all the diet cokes I can drink....you're probably getting a $100 gift.  If I bring a date....closer to $150.

If I'm getting a paper cup affair and all I get to do is look at your dress, you're getting a SunBeam appliance that I found at Big Lots.  Or maybe that food steamer my sister bought me that I'm not going to use, but am too lazy to list for sale on EBay.

ETA - I make exceptions for those that are especially rich and especially poor.  I know it means more for a person who doesn't have any money to put on a paper cup affair, so I'll still give the more expensive gift.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 7

Right?! (Moved to Social Media thread)

He was kind of sarcastic and snarky with her, but it was nowhere near as bad as the way she treated Carolina.

I know that she was recovering from cancer around this time, which could have lead to her disposition being less pleasant. But people don't change that drastically because they're sick. Sorry, not sorry, Fernando's mom is a bitch. Not just to Carolina, but to Fernando. Oh, I'm sure she adores her son like any mother does. But she's actively trying to sabotage his relationship solely because she likes being the head bitch in charge. That's her catless, flowery, no-rice allowed house and no 22 year old girl from Colombia is going to take that away from her.

Mark is way too aware of the cameras when he talks to Nikki - it's like he wants us to see what a "wonderful" fiance he is trying to be.

He is a specimen after all. Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 5

When Mark told Nikki she needed to smile more (paraphrasing, can't remember exactly how he put it) I wish she had hauled off and belted him across the mouth!  Where do men get off thinking they can tell women to smile, and expect them to acquiesce?

I was about Nikki's age and working my first "grownup" job in a bank, and yes I was pretty serious about myself and trying to be professional at all times, and male customers were always telling me to smile.  Gah!!!!

• Love 10

Was it my imagination or did Fernando's mom call him Fernando-ito?

"Fernandito", the diminutive form that is used very, very often in Spanish. Children growing up in Spanish households will hear the diminutive form of their name used more than the actual name, hahaha

• Love 2

Every time Mark says, my ex-wife and/or four kids in diapers, I'm taking a shot of something. I'm turning Mark's scenes into a drinking game. Safe to say I'll be faded off the ground by the time the show ends on Sunday nights. I was still hoping that editing was making the Specimen look bad, but more and more, I realise that he's just a total douche lord and an insensitive jackass. I'd be irked if my husband constantly compared me to his ex-girlfriends. Specimen has a lot of baggage. Nikki needs to leave. She looks miserable. The light that was in her eyes when she arrived that first day has disappeared. She was so excited to see him. Now they both look irritated. She looks pretty in that wedding dress.

Fernando makes me want to rage and blackout. I would never stand for my mother disrespecting my spouse. If double D's can't stand up for Carolina, he deserves to be taken for a ride and used used for a green card. He seems like the type to just let his mom break her confidence and self esteem. She can do better. They should've been on the next season because it has taken 7 episodes for her to formally join the rest of the cast stateside.

Melanie irks me for some reason. "The bank account is empty." Nobody told your simple minded arse to travel to Jamaica all those times. You knew you'd have to support him for months and fund a wedding. If money is tight, elope and have a bigger ceremony later like on your anniversary. Money management should've been a goal instead of travelling that much. Ugh.

Can I hang out with Aleksandra's parents? Svetlana seems like my kind of friend

Loren is still obnoxious and all about herself.

The one couple I'm really cheering for is Kyle and Noon. He seems to be the only one who put thought into his fiancée coming overseas to live. He found a temple for her to worship at and even suggested it as a possible venue. He knew he needed a place for them to live and start their their lives as a couple, so they moved and left the weird roommate behind. They have conversations that aren't about how deeelishus--spelled this way intentionally--and yummy the other is. He doesn't compare her to his exes. The relationship with the parents seems like a painful thing and he probably disclosed off screen. At any rate, I'm hoping it works out for them.

• Love 15

Yeah, adding -ito to the end of a name is a term of endearment. My hubby, Juan, gets called Juanito sometimes and it's affectionate.

Elise is handling the new mom thing really really well. She is so mature it's unbelievable. Nikki and Marc do  not get along at all. At all. And Ocean City? That place is a crowded mess of riff raff. He would have been better going to Bethany Beach. That said, Nikki was really tit for tat the whole time.

I could not BELIEVE Fernando's mom telling Caroline flat out that she didn't like Columbians and asking her if they checked her luggage for drugs. She was acting like she thought Caroline was either 1) trying to traffic drugs into the US, or 2) trying to make Caroline feel ashamed for being from Colombia. 

Fernando didn't say anything because he probably has the same thoughts and bigotry as his mom and wanted Caroline to catch some heat. Because he is taking advantage of the opp to marry a young woman and he is apparently good at pleasing women.  I actually kind of think Caroline is a good mate for him. She is very intelligent and quick and so it seems is he.

Moon and Kyle. Once he said he parents lived off the grid, I thought "potheads." But maybe it's more like methheads.

• Love 2
"That said, Nikki was really tit for tat the whole time."  

Yes, because she's 19 and OVER IT.  If these 2 marry it will be a gigantic mistake. 

Loved Svetlana's shoes!  

Edited by Drogo
Quote formatting.
  • Love 6

So Melanie admits she's broke, yet she needs to go dress shopping? Did she put that dress on her credit card? One of the employees mentioned a $2400 dress and since she has $0, how does that work? She has her priorities all screwed up. My friend got married for the 2nd time in 5 years and asked me and other friends to go dress  shopping with her, and I quickly said no. I went the first time and was not interested in repeating the experience.

Nikki looks like she was contemplating a quick and easy way to jump out of that car during the drive down to Ocean City. Like the thought of opening the door and pushing her body out onto the highway actually looked appealing her. She looked so miserable.

Fernando's mother is jealous because she thinks she's being replaced, hence the unnecessary attitude. Reminds me of why I really cannot and will not date a mama's boy. I will not have a mother-in-law who treats me like an enemy. Life is too short.

• Love 10

Melanie and Devar remind me of a conversation my sister and I had the other day. A lot of people, instead of budgeting or saving and waiting are just doing their weddings on credit. I could see Mel applying for a personal loan for her wedding.

Rachel Berry Loren makes my brain bleed, I hate when people embody awful stereotypes.

Fernandos mom is a capital P puta forreal. Who else caught that mumbled "in English" when Carolina said something in Spanish? And why is she so insistent in speaking in English to her, when I'm sure her Spanish is much better and would also make Carolina more comfortable? Then again, that's probably why she's so insistent on English only, to isolate and alienate Carolina. What a piece of work. Also why did Fernando say Carolina only had 9 days to be there? Did he mean 90 and got confused or is she not actually on a fiance visa because crap is still screwed up?

Mark and Nikki are squick, as usual. All of these years he's been single, and never once thought about his place in the "past" leaving him. He 100% believes he was victimized and does not at all perceive that there could've been things he did better.

Edited by cooksdelight
Removed preview talk
  • Love 9

Why in the heck is Melanie going all out like she is a virginal bride having her first wedding? Go buy a nice, white cocktail dress and call it a day.

I said the exact same thing. Jesus, woman, get a cute dress at Mod Cloth, get Devar and Hunter a new shirt and tie, and go to city hall! Then have a nice lunch with your families.

I'll hang out with Aleksandra's parents. They probably like to have fun. Ironic that Sister Wives is the show before this one since Aleksandra's thought that's what Mormons were like. Josh's parents are about as fun as watching paint dry.

I fell in love with Vlad and Svetlana immediately. I wanted to hug her big teddy bear of a dad and have a glass of wine and a snark fest with her mother. You just know she's one of us. Can we have a show about them?

Loren is just so repellent to me, I can't. She's so pushy, overbearing and self centered--how can she have a relationship with anyone? Poor Alexei looks so beaten down already.

• Love 12

Mark "this isn't going well for ME" it's always going to be about Mark, always.

Fernandito, I hear "my little baby son Fernando" when she says that and she's never going to back off of that he is her prince and no one will ever be good enough. Fernando needs to man up and step on her immediately it is so insulting to Carolina. I usually FF thru these two glad I didn't so I could catch the "white powder " comment. That was quality. And the narc dog on lunch break.

Why is Mark seeing Nikki in her dress!! Just no!

All of Melanie's dresses were awful.

Edited by cooksdelight
Remove preview talk
  • Love 2

Please post preview talk in the First Looks thread, which is what it's for. Not everyone watches previews, as has been said several times before, and they don't want to be spoiled.

The same goes for info from social media which is NOT shown in the episode. Put it in the Media Links thread, since it is also considered spoiler information.

Thanks!

• Love 2