Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, Asp Burger said:

I'm doing a Monday/Tuesday double-header right now. I love Temp Monica. She's right for it physically and she actually looks as though she did some rudimentary brushing up on how Leslie Charleson plays her. She's comfortable in Monica Q's skin and is giving a real performance. So I accept her as the character much more than I could accept Big-Forehead DOOL Belle as the temp Elizabeth, or that guy who finished out Nikolas's story and looked more like an AJ. With those and some other temps, it's not that they were bad actors, but they seemed like completely new characters.  

Anyone remember Susan Diol as Alexis during the Sexis story? She really seemed to know what to aim for and to try hard, at least, but her attempt at the NLG neurosis was very broad. I think if she had inherited the role permanently, Alexis would have become more of a comedic character. (Okay, sometimes actual Alexis becomes a comedic character, e.g., Dobson, but it's better not to think about it.) 

Just about every woman on this show gets the "good mom" lip service (except Ava, of course, because she's evil), but Elizabeth really was being a good mom in those scenes with Jake and Jason.  She kept trying to bridge the conversational gaps between them.  

Edit: This backstory of Valentin being involved with Faison, watching out for lil' LWB all through his childhood and even going to his school plays, just isn't working for me. The actors are only nine years apart in age, and they look it. Was Valentin doing this super-secret consulting work for Faison when he was a teenaged hunchback?  

I hate to say it, but besides the voice, I prefer this Monica.  I haven't yet read the reason for LC's absence, but I'm wondering if it's because of the demanding scenes of Monica on her knees crouching over Nelle.  I've noticed in the past that LC seems to have some hip issues going on.

• Love 2

Is it too much to hope that Sonny goes down for a decades-old crime?

While Carly deserves a long-overdue comeuppance, I hate that Monica is ultimately picking the wrong side in the Nelle-Carly battle. Monica deserves to see Carly (and Sonny) suffer for more than a hot minute.

I'm wondering if Nelle tripped or flung herself down the stairs. I can see her deliberately falling to frame Carly and get more sympathy from Michael. I doubt she cares about the baby as anything more than a way to get closer to Michael.

So Valentine was 8 years old when he he was a spy in training and followed Anna to the midwife's house? Suspension of disbelief...

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Yeah, that'll never happen, as the show is too committed to that bullshit canon about Carly ~giving Jason the gift of Baby Michael.

Also, I'd get at least some enjoyment out of this if there was going to be any payoff that didn't involve Carly coming out the victor with no lasting consequences.  Hell, the town will probably throw her a parade for coming out on top of Evil!Nelle.

Every time Nelle and Carly fight I have flashbacks of Carly taunting Robin that Jason loves her and they'll be a family with Michael. And, honestly, that story between Carly and Robin never had closure from Carly's side. She never had to fucking own up for that behavior or apologize to Robin. It was so ridiculous. And now that I think about it, has Carly ever apologized to anyone or anything outside of Sonny and Jason? 

• Love 7

I'm not clear on one thing.  Did Valentin take Peter from the adoptive family and deliver him to Faison ?  They talk about Peter being grateful to Valentin for "watching over" him.  But why didn't he just let him stay with the adoptive family ?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Every time Nelle and Carly fight I have flashbacks of Carly taunting Robin that Jason loves her and they'll be a family with Michael. And, honestly, that story between Carly and Robin never had closure from Carly's side. She never had to fucking own up for that behavior or apologize to Robin. It was so ridiculous. And now that I think about it, has Carly ever apologized to anyone or anything outside of Sonny and Jason? 

She apologized to Bobbie at Tony's funeral, though I don't recall how specific she was about it.

• Love 2

I know that Leslie Charleston is a legend on this show but I really do prefer the new Monica. Isn’t it Patty Mcormick or something like that. I recognize the actress and do like her in this role. No hope she’ll be retained once LC is ready to come back.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

She apologized to Bobbie at Tony's funeral, though I don't recall how specific she was about it.

I need to try to find that later. It's just super interesting to me that Carly tried to break up a relationship, used her child to do so, intentionally threw herself off a ladder to get Jason's attention, refused to allow Jason to live in another location and have joint custody, called Jason and told him Michael needed him when Michael didn't.... and she never had to own up for this, apologize for this, to Robin, to Jason, to anyone. Guza made it as if it never happened, and now today's writers literally act like Carly isn't exactly like Nelle. THIS is the time for Carly to take a good look at herself. And because she won't, that's why this story is lacking substance.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Gam2 said:

What happened to the baby blanket Nellie was holding at the top of the stairs? It flew off when she fell and has now disappeared?

I’m thinking Nelle paid someone to do it. I guess it could of been Ava but I wonder if she would of thought of it or even want to get involved. That said, she did have the time to do it. So, Nelle really didn’t care if the baby dies or not. She just wants Michael. Yup! Nelle is one nut job that you best stay away from LOL!!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Benji said:

I'm not clear on one thing.  Did Valentin take Peter from the adoptive family and deliver him to Faison ?

When Anna and Andre went looking for the midwife but spoke to her granddaughter instead, the granddaughter said there were issues with Henrik and the family that adopted him and he was returned.  (to whom was never explained).  I understood from that that Valentin got him back from the orphanage (?) and brought him to Faison.  

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me either.  

• Love 3

I had to laugh when Sonny insisted the presence of the money clip meant there had to be a body. Jason was digging pretty deeply. He has eyes.

I don't mind Dante wanting to embarrass Chase in front of their fellow cops, but to do it at the Nurses Ball in front of the whole town? That's a real asshole move. Chase hasn't done anything to Dante except replace Nathan, and that's not Chase's fault.

I guess we know where the set for Gene's Bransford Roadhouse (est. 1989) went: to redo the Floating Rib. LOL that Anna find its "more relaxed" than the original decor. Because that was so formal.

Wow, Lucas and Deanna in the ER today.

I loved LWB/FS telling Valentin they were having a moment and not to tell him to leave town, and Valentin replied, "Fair enough." Hee.

• Love 3

Okay, the Floating Rib. I know the bar has been around forever. Today they presented a new set. My question is did it look like that before at one time? It looked like a barn to me. I don’t recall the other incarnations because it was usually a really dark set. Anyway, they had some money in the budget (I’ll call it Genie Francis money) and, they changed the set but was it just an old set from before? Just curious.

8 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

I fell asleep during the first commercial break and slept through today's episode.  Did I miss anything important?

We found out that Carly is a hypocrite. LOL!!!!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Linny said:

It's SO obnoxious that Olivia tried her damnedest to avoid telling the truth about Carly's outrageous behavior at the shower, but I loved that when she finally relented she began, as all things must, by talking about Morgan's death. Chase's deadpan "yes, I'm aware," reply was so perfect, like the unspoken end of that sentence was "it's hard to miss the billboard when you drive into town." 

I didn't see today, but oooh, Chase got to be part of Carly's arrest?!?!  That delights me so because his reactions to her nutty antics have been the best.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I need to try to find that later. It's just super interesting to me that Carly tried to break up a relationship, used her child to do so, intentionally threw herself off a ladder to get Jason's attention, refused to allow Jason to live in another location and have joint custody, called Jason and told him Michael needed him when Michael didn't.... and she never had to own up for this, apologize for this, to Robin, to Jason, to anyone. Guza made it as if it never happened, and now today's writers literally act like Carly isn't exactly like Nelle. THIS is the time for Carly to take a good look at herself. And because she won't, that's why this story is lacking substance.

PREACH!  Carly getting all indignant and pointing all the blame at Nelle?  Vintage, Sarah Brown Carly.  But Carly is never allowed to reflect on all the hell she brought back in the day.  No, no, she has to be the heroine.  Pass me the barf bag.

So Valentine was 8 years old when he he was a spy in training and followed Anna to the midwife's house? Suspension of disbelief...

LMAO!  When they showed Peter's birth year as 1976, I was like "OK, Valentin, even if he was a protege, is at the very least 60.  Sure, show, sure. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

PREACH!  Carly getting all indignant and pointing all the blame at Nelle?  Vintage, Sarah Brown Carly.  But Carly is never allowed to reflect on all the hell she brought back in the day.  No, no, she has to be the heroine.  Pass me the barf bag.

LMAO!  When they showed Peter's birth year as 1976, I was like "OK, Valentin, even if he was a protege, is at the very least 60.  Sure, show, sure. 

Not to mention that this would make Anna in her mid 60's at least.

• Love 4

There was a lot of fast and loose with timelines, since it was also mentioned that Carly fell down the Q stairs "20 years ago", which would make Morgan younger than the baby Carson lost.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Linny said:

Chase's deadpan "yes, I'm aware," reply was so perfect, like the unspoken end of that sentence was "it's hard to miss the billboard when you drive into town." 

I would have liked for it to have been that way but it just seemed like a regular "I'm aware" to me.

TempMonica looking away when Chase said "You don't remember [what Carly said]?" was pretty funny though.

Bobbie's "Carrlee! Waait" was horrific. But UO, while i think JZ looks plasticy, I think she looks more or less like an older version of her younger self. JZ has always been kind of odd looking to me. I find Laura Wright's overall look more distracting at this point.

Edited by ulkis
10 hours ago, Perkie said:

I'm guessing Ava took it when she went up to check on Leo and Avery when the ambulance arrived.  

Ava definitely came down the stairs, after checking on the kids, holding Nelle's giant black bag which was where she had the baby blanket earlier.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Baxter said:

I'm wondering if Nelle tripped or flung herself down the stairs. I can see her deliberately falling to frame Carly and get more sympathy from Michael. I doubt she cares about the baby as anything more than a way to get closer to Michael.

This is what I was thinking, Baxter.  Somewhere during show (today? not sure) they replayed Ava and Nelle's convo where Ava said, "How far are you willing to go?", and Nelle's face translated, "all the way" .  Then during the "fall", they showed Ava's face which seemed to translate, "whoa, ...THIS far!!"  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They've said Peter was born June 1976. Robin was born October 1977. Within six months after giving birth to Faison's child and giving him away, Anna found Robert, married him, made love to him, and got pregnant with Robin? Okay, GH.

• Love 8
(edited)

It's kind of hard to say with Nelle. My first instinct is to say she wouldn't have intentionally taken a tumble. She may or may not have legitimate maternal feelings toward that baby, but she knows that a living baby ties her to Michael much more than any conflict she can stir up between him and his mother over a Carly-caused miscarriage. She's also smart enough to know that miscarriage is just one of the possible bad outcomes of throwing herself down stairs while well along in a pregnancy. She could herself die. Or she could become the mother of a baby with brain damage, skeletal deformities, damage to vital organs, who knows.  

Now, Nelle might take such a risk if we were supposed to see her as the delusional kind of crazy, but it would fly in the face of the very goal-oriented character she has been all along. Her scheming has often been poorly thought out and half-assed, but she's been fundamentally reality-based.  

So I think her jerking the blanket back and moving to "flee" Carly, losing her presence of mind in that moment that she was at the top of stairs, was spontaneous and unplanned. I also think her asking about the baby first when she regained consciousness was sincere. But when she was awake, she decided in an instant to put the situation to her advantage, because her eye is on the other prize too.   

I thought a lot of Monday's show was good soap, because I was interested in what was going to happen next and it's leaving me guessing somewhat. 

I think Monica's "20 years ago" was supposed to be rounding up. The miscarriage of Carly and Sonny's first baby aired in May 2000, so it was 18 years to the month. Still, good point that that would make Morgan younger than 20, which obviously (1) was contradicted by the visible evidence of Bry-Dawg and (2) conflicts with the SORAS date of 1994 on his tombstone.  

11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I didn't see today, but oooh, Chase got to be part of Carly's arrest?!?!  That delights me so because his reactions to her nutty antics have been the best.

Yes! That's exactly what I was coming here to say. I like Josh Swickard as Chase generally, and the character is interestingly conceived (stickler for the rules but still wants to fit in; kind of lonely and needy, even though he looks like a soap hunk), but absolutely the best thing he provides is those dumbsquizzled reaction shots to Carly's paranoid rants. Who can blame him? Anyone who hadn't seen the staircase confrontation, hadn't seen Nelle making months of prank calls and writing notes in disappearing ink, would watch that outburst in the Quartermaine living room today and think Carly was due for another six months to a year of weaving baskets in a rocking chair. I did watch all of Nelle's plotting, and Carly still sounded batshit crazy. "She had a blanket like the one Morgan had when he was a baby. It's all part of her plan to get to me. She's trying to get her hooks in Michael, and you know I'm never going to let that happen!" For anyone on the barge who didn't watch the episode, I know that sounds like comical exaggeration for the boards, but it's almost verbatim. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

I think Monica's "20 years ago" was supposed to be rounding up. The miscarriage of Carly and Sonny's first baby aired in May 2000, so it was 18 years to the month. Still, good point that that would make Morgan younger than 20, which obviously (1) was contradicted by the visible evidence of Bry-Dawg and (2) conflicts with the SORAS date of 1994 on his tombstone.  

That's what SORASing will get you every time. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

"She had a blanket like the one Morgan had when he was a baby. It's all part of her plan to get to me. She's trying to get her hooks in Michael, and you know I'm never going to let that happen!" For anyone on the barge who didn't watch the episode, I know that sounds like comical exaggeration for the boards, but it's almost verbatim. 

I wish we'd seen Nelle do a bit more research before using the penguins and baby blanket on Carly. How did she find this stuff out? We know where the phone calls and cologne (Morgan was sophisticated! lol)and scarf came from. But the other stuff? The show acts as if it's obvious to everyone, including viewers. 

And while I'm all for Carly getting any sort of payback, I still hate that everyone is so quick to jump on the wimmins-be-crazy train. As always, this fakakta show tries to have it both ways by having Carly get indignant when anyone sees her popping her pills and then implying she's having a breakdown. Ugh.

Edited by dubbel zout
More ranting
  • Love 3

Nelle really isn't a complex character, she's a total moron. That said, it looked like her ankle bent on that step and she lost her balance because of it. 

This whole storyline is just one giant waste of time. Joss really needs to drink a tall glass of STFU. I am so done with her. And while I agree that Nelle is the reason she is alive (thanks for that!), the way she uses that as emotional blackmail is not great. But Joss is her mother's daughter in more ways than one. I just need the baby to die and this story to be over.

Sonny's freak out at Jason because he stopped digging while he just stood and didn't break a sweat was just . . . bitch, you go down in that hole and dig instead of threatening that you will do it. It's your mess. You clean it up. 

At this point, I'm assuming that Sam will end up figuring out that Peter is Heinrich. 

• Love 4

I think it would be great to see Carly in Forest Hills Sanitarium. It's Forest Hills Sanitarium, right? I might be getting my soap crazy houses mixed up. It seems like Heather was there and dressing up as a nurse to murder Diana Taylor. Good times, indeed!

2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Nelle really isn't a complex character, she's a total moron. That said, it looked like her ankle bent on that step and she lost her balance because of it. 

This whole storyline is just one giant waste of time. Joss really needs to drink a tall glass of STFU. I am so done with her. And while I agree that Nelle is the reason she is alive (thanks for that!), the way she uses that as emotional blackmail is not great. But Joss is her mother's daughter in more ways than one. I just need the baby to die and this story to be over.

Sonny's freak out at Jason because he stopped digging while he just stood and didn't break a sweat was just . . . bitch, you go down in that hole and dig instead of threatening that you will do it. It's your mess. You clean it up. 

At this point, I'm assuming that Sam will end up figuring out that Peter is Heinrich. 

Yeah, Joss needs to cool her jets. First off, STFU! Secondly, she's 14 years old. Why is anyone listenting to a 14 year old. Let alone Carly.

• Love 4

My issue with Joss using the whole "she gave me her kidney; I wouldn't be alive without her" crap is that Nelle had no say in it. It isn't like she was some selfless person who learned she was a perfect match for a dying child and donated an organ. Her butt of a dad forced her into it against her will. She was repaid with kindness and spit in the face of that kindness. Screw her. Screw Carly.  And shut up Joss.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

My issue with Joss using the whole "she gave me her kidney; I wouldn't be alive without her" crap is that Nelle had no say in it. It isn't like she was some selfless person who learned she was a perfect match for a dying child and donated an organ. Her butt of a dad forced her into it against her will. She was repaid with kindness and spit in the face of that kindness. Screw her. Screw Carly.  And shut up Joss.

And, much as I hate to have to write this, Joss's own father is complicit—he's the one who bought the black-market kidney in the first place.

I sort of enjoy Joss throwing the kidney in Carly's face, though. What can I say? I contain multitudes.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And, much as I hate to have to write this, Joss's own father is complicit—he's the one who bought the black-market kidney in the first place.

I sort of enjoy Joss throwing the kidney in Carly's face, though. What can I say? I contain multitudes.

Best thing I like about Nelle being the one to have to give her kidney to Joss? Bringing Jake back from the dead, which undoes Jake being the donor, and hence removing the connection between SheBeast and Jason. So she can't claim they're closerthanthisevenifhe'sherbestestestfriend EVEN More, because it's Jake's kidney "living" in her child.

I'll take my little pleasures where I can.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

So let Jax suck up to her. Joss continuing to use it as some sort of reason that they all should bow down at the feet of Nelle when she has been a royal bitch and didn't have any choice in saving Joss is annoying.  I'm annoyed because I find myself rooting for Carly in this.  I'm annoyed because Monica, whom I love, is backing the wrong horse.  I'm annoyed because Joss is one obnoxious individual. I'm annoyed because this storyline is going to somehow end up involving Maxie which will involve Nina which means we will likely get to see her screeching about stuff in the near future and we'll see Valentine acting all weird like he has any kind of power because he is supposed to be obsessed with Nina's happiness. It's all so annoying and I'd really like it if it turns out that Mac was on the plane and saved Robert and the two of them come in to kill Valentine and Nina, Carly, Nelle, and Joss all get caught in the crossfire. That's a May sweeps I will DVR!

• Love 4
(edited)

Joss is annoying and it's annoying that they try to portray more of a relationship between her and freaking Dante than Lulu, her actual cousin and godmother, in their attempt to portray one big united Corinthos family like they have fucking Sunday dinners in off screen GH. Come on, even in off screen GH we know that doesn't happen.

The only bad thing about Joss finding out Nelle is crazy is then we'll have to hear her warble one more time.

Has his mom up his ass all the time and falls for Nelle's schtick. I'm having a hard time picturing how they can make Michael less appealing.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, ulkis said:

The only bad thing about Joss finding out Nelle is crazy is then we'll have to hear her warble one more time.

"You betraaaaaayed me!"

19 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Has his mom up his ass all the time and falls for Nelle's schtick. I'm having a hard time picturing how they can make him less appealing.

You're referring to Michael, I presume? This is why his relationships are always doomed.

• Love 4

It's lucky for Carly that she has Jason to easily mount her defense by putting together the pieces of Nelle's plan, because heaven knows Sonny couldn't reason his way out of a paper bag. Given how much the show stresses Carly and Jason's unbreakable bond, I really do wonder why they won't even consider pairing them off and removing Sonny from the situation romantically. I don't buy Carly/Sonny as so sacred that she wouldn't jump to be with Jason if the opportunity presented itself.

Valentin's melodramatic apocalyptic meltdown was a whole lot of YIKES. Bit late to worry about Nina's reaction to your lies, dude. And of course he's planning on running away and leaving the country with Lulu's child, because all he cares about is himself and his need to cover his own ass.

Let me enjoy this hour of Ava outplaying Nelle before it all blows up in her face when Carly/Jason realize she has the blanket. And Griffin suddenly being so sweet on Ava again is a sure sign he's going to learn the truth about everything and hold her accountable.

I'm gonna need an explanation for Lucy and the llama and how it factors into the Nurses' Ball. Fuck everything else, I'm waiting for payoff on that llama.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Linny said:

Valentin's melodramatic apocalyptic meltdown was a whole lot of YIKES. Bit late to worry about Nina's reaction to your lies, dude. And of course he's planning on running away and leaving the country with Lulu's child, because all he cares about is himself and his need to cover his own ass.

Why wouldn't he? He already tried it once when he was facing prison charges and Lulu had court-mandated time with Charlotte so the idea of Charlotte having a relationship with her mother means less than nothing to him. How much I wish there were tape-recorders or bugs in Aurora or Wyndemere or wherever Valentin was so Lulu could use this as evidence against him.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Linny said:

I'm waiting for payoff on that llama.

Right?!!  Not only did Lucy walk it around the room, but later, some random extra was walking it around.  It was so random.  

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Linny said:

I don't buy Carly/Sonny as so sacred that she wouldn't jump to be with Jason if the opportunity presented itself.

Carly doesn't either! But I really don't see Jason wanting to be in a romantic relationship with Carly. That train sailed a long time ago for him.

• Love 2

Michael.  Meh.  How how is he supposed to be on the show, anyway?  Carly treats him like he's 10 and going to the mall for the first time alone.  He looks 12 and acts 14.  How am I supposed to find him believable as the head of a Fortune 500 Company?   (I have no idea if ELQ is F500 or not).  They really need a recast for that character.

• Love 9