Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Make It Sell

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I love me some Edmond, but didn't love his dress. It was a nice dress, but looked like something I'd seen Kelly Bundy wear on Married With Children.

Totally! Kelly Bundy wore short tight tank dresses just like the one Edmond made. The only difference was that he added the criss cross detail, but yeah, his dress is two identical pieces of fabric sewn together with two seams. I'm surprised the judges didn't ask him why it took him a whole day to make that.

Can those of you who sew answer a question for me? Can the dress form the contestants use be adjusted for each model's measurement? I seem to remember that one of the contestants said something about her model not being the same size as her dress form.

As other people have mentioned, the dress forms they are using are not adjustable but even the ones that are adjustable aren't totally customizable. They have a dial in the middle so that you can make it bigger or smaller but because the dress form is just two halves (the right side and the left side), you are just expanding the whole thing. You can't change the proportions if the model's bust is smaller or the model's hips are bigger.

• Love 2
I am SO heartily sick of the motorcycle jacket. I know it's "on trend"....STILL....But it's boring to see it on every single runway.  Thank goodness the exposed back zipper seems to be gone for the moment.

Like basic Levis and classic Doc Martens, the biker jacket has never not been a popular piece of clothing...though I suppose where it shows up and for what "style" of person is what makes it "on trend"? I don't know; I've had one for well over 20 years (not the same one, unfortunately -- in fact I just realized that I have no idea where the original went!). 

I love an exposed zipper! The more feminine the print and style of the dress, the more I dig a big old visible metal accent. 

I liked Ashley's jacket but wasn't a fan of the rest of the outfit. That print looked like a sofa in a timeshare from the 80s.

YES! Exactly -- like that pink, gold, and light blue faux "southwestern" theme people loved and accented with little statues of abstract howling wolves! Ugh, I hated it even back when I was a kid! Southwestern does not, to me, bring to mind pastels!

Butt crack ruching. Does not compute. I need to go look into this.

I didn't look at the updated version, but I'm wondering if the added ruching is a way to make a a tight and "unforgiving" dress more accessible for various sizes to buy; the texture would maybe provide a bit of camouflage for someone's lumpier spots, which many of us have (I'm a 3-4, and there are squishy bits here and there depending on a bunch of variables and if I buy stupid control-top tights by mistake -- ugh, I hate those).

Oh my goodness, sorry for two posts in a row; I spaced out, I guess, and made a second instead of just adding to the first.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I wonder how their sponsor, AARP, feels when they use terms like mumsy, matronly, and old in such a disdainful way.

I also wonder about their use of the music made popular by "Requiem For A Dream" during 'dramatic' workroom moments, is that really what we are supposed to be focusing on now? Are the clothes secondary and we are supposed to be paying attention to 'workroom drama' among contestants and 'snarky quips' from the judges instead?

• Love 4

I wonder how their sponsor, AARP, feels when they use terms like mumsy, matronly, and old in such a disdainful way.

I also wonder about their use of the music made popular by "Requiem For A Dream" during 'dramatic' workroom moments, is that really what we are supposed to be focusing on now? Are the clothes secondary and we are supposed to be paying attention to 'workroom drama' among contestants and 'snarky quips' from the judges instead?

The clothing has to be secondary....they are only giving them 7 hours to make them!

Nina should knock it off, matronly is right around the corner for her.

• Love 2

Pardon my ignorance but is Marie Claire a high end fashion magazine? I have always equated that magazine with gossip columns and fads of the month.

It's not on the level of Vogue or Harper's Bazaar or even Porter's; it's pretty much the same as Elle. Magazines in general have so few editorial pages these days, it's mostly just advertising with a few articles on women's issues and pop culture thrown in. Remember, these magazines only exist to sell stuff. Articles on trends or effective beauty products are trying to push whatever showed up in the office that month; they have nothing to do with quality. 

The higher level magazines used to aim for sophisticated women with money AND the willingness to cultivate their taste. Now they all seem to be aimed towards popstars and heiresses with unlimited funds. Marie Claire seems to be for women who work in offices (apparently the only kind of job there is) but want to spend their downtime dressed like Katy Perry.

Geez, ranting is exhausting!

• Love 14
The clothing has to be secondary....they are only giving them 7 hours to make them!

This bugs me because I want to see not only the result, but the techniques, and even with the 90-minute format, I'm not seeing the latter so much. I can make a dress in seven hours, even though the first time I ever touched a sewing machine was about six months ago. These are skilled designers; I want to see what they do and how they get there.

• Love 5

This bugs me because I want to see not only the result, but the techniques, and even with the 90-minute format, I'm not seeing the latter so much. I can make a dress in seven hours, even though the first time I ever touched a sewing machine was about six months ago. These are skilled designers; I want to see what they do and how they get there.

I don't remember that really being on this show. Sometimes contestants would explain a technique to the judges (before they started doing that close look segment) or when there was drama between two contestants during a team challenge like when the designer who was really more of a textile designer was paired with a guy who could only make jersey dresses. She had to teach him how to work with silk chiffon and how to do princess seams.

• Love 3

Thanks for posting this.  I have been disgusted with the disparaging way the judges talk about women older than 25 since the show started.  What's wrong with "That is stylish (or beautiful or whatever) but I don't think it would appeal to younger women."  Why disparage women because they are doing what all women will do eventually - aging.  And all this talk about aunts and grandmas.  My mom was a grandma she was still in her 30s and two of my sisters were aunts when they were teenagers.  And don't get me started on Heidi calling breasts "boobies" - egads - she sounds like a ten year old boy.

• Love 7

I admit I zoned out during this episode, so I wonder if Swapnil made that white jacket specifically to cover up those horrendous elastic straps on the back of his dress?

If it came down to a choice between Edmond and ashley, it really wasn't a choice because hoochie dresses are much easier to mass produce in sweatshops than zippered and pleated jackets. I agree that Nina seems over PR and I think it's because she has to rub elbows with the likes of the Just Fab person. No more insisting that garments look "luxe" for Nina because that's not happening with Just Fab. The shoes on their commercial are so cheap and trampy.

I like Kelly but she looks like the love child of Pete Burns and Boy George.

• Love 3

I don't remember that really being on this show. Sometimes contestants would explain a technique to the judges (before they started doing that close look segment) or when there was drama between two contestants during a team challenge like when the designer who was really more of a textile designer was paired with a guy who could only make jersey dresses. She had to teach him how to work with silk chiffon and how to do princess seams.

I didn't say that it ever was on the show, just that I would like to see it. I watch those Housewives for juvenile drams; I watch this for the skills. Unfortunately, the same shit happens on Ink Master too!

ETA: "Drams"?! Haha, I was not trying to use slang; I made a typo!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Thanks for posting this.  I have been disgusted with the disparaging way the judges talk about women older than 25 since the show started.  What's wrong with "That is stylish (or beautiful or whatever) but I don't think it would appeal to younger women."  Why disparage women because they are doing what all women will do eventually - aging.  And all this talk about aunts and grandmas.  My mom was a grandma she was still in her 30s and two of my sisters were aunts when they were teenagers.  And don't get me started on Heidi calling breasts "boobies" - egads - she sounds like a ten year old boy.

I don't think I've ever heard any of the judges call an outfit "stylish" and "matronly" in the same sentence. I agree that they need a new descriptor (maybe old fashioned?) but I don't think that the judges are saying that all women over a certain age lack style. For example, it was pretty clear to me that Dimitri was dressing a "mature" client but his stuff was definitely stylish (in most cases).

• Love 4

A few random observations:

I thought it was nice that Candice tried to match designers with style profiles that fit. She didn't try to sabotage anyone. She was going to try to beat them with everyone on an even playing field.

I'm surprised there was no mention here, or on the show, about the bling on Swapnil's dress. Where did that come from? Was it a necklace of some sort, or did it come from mood?

Thanks to the invention of Spanx, Edmond's dress could be worn by sizes 2-12, I think. (On a side note, why does no one ever admit that spanx are a nothing more than an updated girdle?)

It bothered me that Ashley still pronounces Merline's name mar-LYNN. That is disrespectful. Merline isn't a difficult name to say.

I didn't get the whole "two piece jumpsuit" thing with Kelly.  If the top and bottom are separate, it isn't a jumpsuit. Or is that a new thing that if the top and bottom are made of the exact same material/pattern, it is still considered a jumpsuit? Even if there a miles of skin showing between the two.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 5

I'm surprised there was no mention here, or on the show, about the bling on Swapnil's dress. Where did that come from? Was it a necklace of some sort, or did it come from mood?

Thanks to the invention of Spanx, Edmond's dress could be worn by 2-12, I think. (On a side note, why does no one ever admit that spanx are a nothing more than an updated girdle?)

I think it was some abomination from the JustFab wall designed to try to cover up the fact that he didn't have a zipper sewn in.  I didn't think it looked awful on the dress, but it didn't look natural.

No one wants to wear a girdle...that sounds so mumsy ;)

I miss that the workroom used to be such fun.  Who can forget Santino/Andre/Tim/Red Lobster?  But they barely have time to talk, so most of what you see in the workroom is them running or saying hi while they are eating.   And while you were having that fun you could see the different state of their outfits, and what they were doing to them.

• Love 6

Santino is my absolute favorite contestant ever! All the non-sewing-related stuff that happened in that season was fine with me because it was so funny. I actually bought the season 2 DVDs a while ago and was debating watching them today.

• Love 9

I think it's a marketing thing. Audrey Hepburn wore the same clothes in her twenties that she wore in her sixties, and everyone wanted to dress like her. I have a vague theory that it's because it's much harder to make well-made, well-fitting clothes out of durable and attractive materials for 14¢ in a sweatshop and charge $40 or $80 or $120 for it than it is to convince women that they're old and dowdy and sexless for wanting them. 

• Love 10

Santino is my absolute favorite contestant ever! All the non-sewing-related stuff that happened in that season was fine with me because it was so funny. I actually bought the season 2 DVDs a while ago and was debating watching them today.

If I had it I would.  I have to make do with YouTube clips, and seriously, even 10 minutes of season 2 makes me miss old Project Runway.  Tim looked so much happier.  People could have fun.  The clothes were amazing.  MK is on fire.  

Whoever said they are just content now to run the show into the ground and squeeze out every penny is right.  I wish they would just give it up so someone else could bring a decent fashion based reality show to market.  Something with MK judging.

• Love 5

Had my first eyeroll with Candice's pronouncement about her peplum being edgy.

Oops, no, first eyeroll with her mention of how "humbling" her previous win was. Uck.

And another when she sent that bow-blouse sailor-middy mess down the runway.

As she untied the lapels (?) all I could think of were those horrible bow-blouses of the 70s-80s. Then when they were undone about all I saw was a little girl at the turn of the 20th century rolling a hoop down the street.

I think I would have considered sending both L & M home.

Did get a chuckle out of Zac and his, Man-o-pause. I kind of like him. MK seemed such an ill-tempered participant towards the end of his reign.

Nina? GO HOME! NOW!

• Love 9

I was really happy about the OVERALL judging this challenge.  (Sorry, I'm late.  I can only watch this show a day or two later).  As I said last episode, I think Merline is an artist and I have no idea how Heidi could claim she's seen this silhouette before.  I thought it was the most interesting dress there by far. I did not think it was a typical silhouette with a peplum. I get totally that her execution lacks, but she's such an artist.   I liked Laurie earlier on but she has really done poorly these last few challenges.  Her time was out.  So happy the judges made the right decision.  That being said, next episode, Merline should be in trouble.

I can't be the only person who is sick of Heidi saying every challenge "I like it because it's something I haven't seen before."

Why does Zach hate Swapnil?

Does Nina really not see how much of a parody of herself she's become?  Kelly designs TOO JUNIOR yet every other designer designs TOO MUMSY.  Nina, get a fucking grip!  You are over!  You try so desperately to be so on trend by saying something is "Ready for Instagram" and yet you can't see that Kelly is by far the most on trend designer there?  Kelly should have scrapped the vest, but otherwise, that outfit is perfect for the "Trendsetter" persona.    

Now, if we're getting real, a lot more women could pull off Edmond's look rather than Ashley's Supposed Girl Next door.  Only an 8 year old girl next door has the right body for that.  I could totally wear Edmond's dress; I'd just need Spanx.  I have curves and that's totally the type of outfit I think women who look like me enjoy.  No amount of Spanx unless time travel were involved could get me into Ashley's outfit?

Candice's personality was really horrendous and on display this episode.  Criticizing all the designers left and right because apparently they do not live up to her standard.  She really thinks she is the bee's fucking knees doesn't she?  What the hell was her outfit?  Nobody on earth would wear that top.  It was straight out of the 1950's.  Then maybe brought back by the 80's.  No offense to Barbra.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I think I'd wear a dead muppet before I'd wear that middy!

Thanks for the pic, Ms Blue Jay.

Poor Judy Garland, such enormous talent so enormously abused by the studios, et al. Might be time to drag out my copy of Meet me in St. Louis.

• Love 3
As she untied the lapels (?) all I could think of were those horrible bow-blouses of the 70s-80s. Then when they were undone about all I saw was a little girl at the turn of the 20th century rolling a hoop down the street.

Nailed it!

d9fcaf22ae7c71435c754ddde1717e06.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 18

No offense to anyone who wears them, of course, but as a short chick with incongruously long legs (tall genes), a peplum is not my friend. I guess it's a good thing that I don't like them anyway.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

See, I disagree that Nina thinks she's above the competition now. I think she LOVES her spot on Project Runway. Oh sure, she loves to slyly make fun of the downmarket direction it's headed, but she would not be getting the exposure she craves if she left PR. She'll be there until they turn out the last light.

I see you, Tattle Teeny! (TM Merline!!!!)  What the effin' hell is trendsetting about a peplum anyways???

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 7
Had my first eyeroll with Candice's pronouncement about her peplum being edgy.

Oops, no, first eyeroll with her mention of how "humbling" her previous win was. Uck.

And another when she sent that bow-blouse sailor-middy mess down the runway.

I think I would have considered sending both L & M home.

Did get a chuckle out of Zac and his, Man-o-pause. I kind of like him. MK seemed such an ill-tempered participant towards the end of his reign.

Nina? GO HOME! NOW!

Re her "edgy" peplum? Two words: Suzanne Sugarbaker.

• Love 8

No offense to anyone who wears them, of course, but as a short chick with incongruously long legs (tall genes), a peplum is not my friend. I guess it's a good thing that I don't like them anyway.

I have seen very few peplums that flatter anyone.

• Love 2

I don't know that a peplum is anybody's friend! But the judges seem to like them.

And one might have helped to cover up what I considered to be the really unfortunate silhouette of Candice's dropped studded and whatever-elsed skirt. It looked tortured, imho.

I have seen very few peplums that flatter anyone.

Rosilyn Russell looked great in them.  Of course that was a few centuries ago.

I've gotten less and less interested as this season has droned on, and I'm not sure I even think any of these designers have any major potential.  I absolutely HATED what Swapnil made this week - stretchy (or not stretchy) leopard skin fabric needs to take a nap for a few decades, and that bubbly white thing over it, ugh!  I thought Edward's look cheap and I'm sick of his criss-cross straps on everything he makes.  Merline's was a mess, but at least she tried to do something different.  Ashley's outfit, okay, cute jacket, but that hideous fabric on the skirt and top!  Candace, a sailor top and a skirt that enlarges the hips?  Kelly, glad to see she has her own point of view but that fabric had that strobe-like stroke-inducing quality. Laurie, oh well - liked her but her designs were mediocre.  

I suggested a few episodes back that Swapnil is smoking something other than tobacco, and I'm sticking to my guns.  Maybe he'll share with Candace so she can shut up for awhile- I wonder what her original coloring was and why she's wearing Kabuki makeup.  . 

• Love 7

I don't think I've ever heard any of the judges call an outfit "stylish" and "matronly" in the same sentence. I agree that they need a new descriptor (maybe old fashioned?) but I don't think that the judges are saying that all women over a certain age lack style. For example, it was pretty clear to me that Dimitri was dressing a "mature" client but his stuff was definitely stylish (in most cases).

"Frumpy" would do fine. It's what they mean anyway and doesn't reference age or other "group" stereotype at all. I'd like to see Matronly, Mumsy, Mother-of-theBride, etc ALL replaced with the simple and perfectly descriptive "Frumpy".

This is how to do peplums. The 1940's were a great style period. Check out the detailing on the peplum if you click the link.

http://www.gingermegs-vintage.com/product/womens-vintage-suits/genuine-1940s-suit-embellished-peplum-xs-s/

I'm starting to like Kelly more because she's decided to stop playing the stupid game and have her own good time--I wouldn't wear her designs but I recognize she is doing what she wants to do now instead of trying to guess what the wayward judges want

I love the fact that Kelly has let loose. She is obviously not going to win this thing, so she's making a mark and making herself memorable for her designs while she can. I love her entire attitude about the experience. She's not got an arrogant bone in her body, and she's making the most of it, appreciating the opportunities and relishing being in a whole new world. I hope she's successful with a market somewhere, because I think people like her deserve to succeed, especially when they are also hard workers, as she seems to be.

They need to create a special prize for Kelly.

• Love 12

If I had it I would.  I have to make do with YouTube clips, and seriously, even 10 minutes of season 2 makes me miss old Project Runway.  Tim looked so much happier.  People could have fun.  The clothes were amazing.  MK is on fire.  

Whoever said they are just content now to run the show into the ground and squeeze out every penny is right.  I wish they would just give it up so someone else could bring a decent fashion based reality show to market.  Something with MK judging.

I missed some of the first ten seasons and have been doing some catching up on Hulu Plus.    MK, in my opinion, was more essential to this show than Heidi.   With him gone, PR is ... well, American Idol without Simon.

• Love 2
This is how to do peplums. The 1940's were a great style period.

Everything is always better vintage (I wear vintage '70s almost every day; not everyone's cup of tea but I love it)! For example, I think that Lucy has some peplum'd (?) stuff on ILL and she always looks fabulous. And I'm sure someone, somewhere today can do it. They'll never look good on me, and maybe it's the bombardment of them lately in stores that makes me tired of them; you pull something off the rack with high hopes, and then--boom!--there's a damn peplum again!

It reminded me of club-wear you'd have seen at Joyce Leslie or a random 8th Street shop cerca 2002.

Joyce Leslie, a.k.a. the quick, cheap, and easy way to get something to change into so you can got out right after work in the mid-'90s!

• Love 2

I'm so sick of Edmond coming out every single week with a plain, boring little black dress (it was red this time--but he started with black) and the judges falling all over themselves to praise him for it.  Meanwhile, designers with interesting ideas and styles are placed lower.  I really think Ashley should have won this, her look was amazing.  I'm glad Carrie finally went home--that top made her model look like a fruit basket.  She REALLY took it to heart when Heidi said 'more boobs, less bra.'  The shower curtain skirt was also terrible, and I do fault Swapnil for the leopard print.

Edited by Glade

I didn't get the whole "two piece jumpsuit" thing with Kelly.  If the top and bottom are separate, it isn't a jumpsuit. Or is that a new thing that if the top and bottom are made of the exact same material/pattern, it is still considered a jumpsuit? Even if there a miles of skin showing between the two.

Hee, hee! Bikinis are now jumpsuits.

Kelly reminds me of Joan Cusak in Working Girl - absolute ringer.

I had no idea about JustFab...hmm...

Pretty lousy runway show all around. For one thing, some of them have no idea of what colors go together or what is even pretty. Ashley looked at Tim like she had no idea what he meant about her awful choice. Swapnil putting white and leopard print together, Edmund and that horrible print? Someone needs to had them some color wheels.

And did I hear Candice was using Neoprene??? I was sick of that five PRs ago.

As someone noted up thread - everyone SIZE 0-2 would look in Edmund's dress.

• Love 6

And did I hear Candice was using Neoprene??? I was sick of that five PRs ago.

Exactly.  Paging Elena.....

For those of you who miss MK....

I can never not laugh when I look at the second clip...

• Love 11

God help me, I loved Kelly's. Would I wear it or buy it? Fuck no. But it had a very distinct look, cohesive design, and was off the wall in a good way. I could totally see a young 20-something wearing the leggings or the crop top, though I dunno about the muppet vest.

I loved Kelly's. I didn't think it was "junior", either. Far less junior than Ashley's, anyway. The muppet vest was kind of funny, but probably not an online seller. 

I loved Candice's, too. It was supposed to be out of the norm, and it was. 

As for the interaction in the workroom, most of the designers seem just fine with getting advice from each other. The only one who has whined about it, if I remember correctly, was Ashley when she was doing her "poor me" thing the third week. They all seem to be fine with Candice and respect her as a designer. 

When Edmond whined about being given the bombshell "persona" (ugh, that term is just awful), I wondered what the hell he was talking about. Candice seems to know his aesthetic better than he does. I couldn't see him getting anything else, based upon what he's produced so far on the show.

• Love 1

I loved Kelly's. I didn't think it was "junior", either. Far less junior than Ashley's, anyway. The muppet vest was kind of funny, but probably not an online seller. 

I loved Candice's, too. It was supposed to be out of the norm, and it was. 

As for the interaction in the workroom, most of the designers seem just fine with getting advice from each other. The only one who has whined about it, if I remember correctly, was Ashley when she was doing her "poor me" thing the third week. They all seem to be fine with Candice and respect her as a designer. 

When Edmond whined about being given the bombshell "persona" (ugh, that term is just awful), I wondered what the hell he was talking about. Candice seems to know his aesthetic better than he does. I couldn't see him getting anything else, based upon what he's produced so far on the show.

I was confused by his annoyance too.  I think he wanted "trendsetter" right?  I like his stuff, but its not trendsetting.  All of his stuff is for a girl who wants to be sexy, he should have been delighted to get bombshell.

Hey, Ashley has had some growth, at least she didn't cry this week.

• Love 3

I actually liked Kelly's muppet vest better than the rest of her outfit. Back in the 70s when I was a with it and happening young teenager, I had a maxi coat with muppet fur collar, cuffs and bottom trim. It was muppet-y and yet Doctor Zhivago-y at the same time and I felt positively stunning in it.

I did, of course, put googly eyes on the collar, which I asserted previously Kelly should have done with Cookie Monster. Of course, I put googly eyes on almost everything back then... Remember the Christopher Walken SNL skit where he put googly eyes on all his plants? That was me in the 70s.

ETA: Thank you, RCharter, for those amazing MK clips. I sometimes forget how much I miss him.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

Candice's personality was really horrendous and on display this episode.  Criticizing all the designers left and right because apparently they do not live up to her standard.  She really thinks she is the bee's fucking knees doesn't she?  

It's almost as if the producers take the designers in, interview them, ask them to comment on each others' designs, and then air an edited version of what they say. What's Candice thinking by answering those questions?

• Love 6

I actually liked Kelly's muppet vest better than the rest of her outfit. Back in the 70s when I was a with it and happening young teenager, I had a maxi coat with muppet fur collar, cuffs and bottom trim. It was muppet-y and yet Doctor Zhivago-y at the same time and I felt positively stunning in it.

I did, of course, put googly eyes on the collar, which I asserted previously Kelly should have done with Cookie Monster. Of course, I put googly eyes on almost everything back then... Remember the Christopher Walken SNL skit where he put googly eyes on all his plants? That was me in the 70s.

ETA: Thank you, RCharter, for those amazing MK clips. I sometimes forget how much I miss him.

You're welcome!  I think my favorite moments are when he just starts saying a bunch of adjectives and you can tell he is getting himself all wound up. 

BTW -- your outfits from the 70's sound pretty freaking amazing.  I kinda want a cookie monster jacket now with googly eyes....but what do you wear that with?  I guess anything, right?

• Love 1

I'm 5'6". I wish I were taller and had long legs.

Anyway. I, too, hate peplums. I don't think they're flattering, period.

• Love 2