Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Make It Sell

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

can I just say how much I dislike Candice. Perhaps she means well but she comes off as a know-it-all who feels the need to critique everyone else's work when she should be critiquing her own.

Well, Candice did say that winning last week's challenge was "life altering" and "humbles you as a person in all the right ways" so maybe she'll be shutting up now...

Nah.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 9
The smart ones probably "practice" for the show by creating a lot of looks in advance, planning to reproduce them when they meet a challenge.

I think Swapnil may have given up. His business does very well in India, so he's not pressed for money like some of the other designers, and his brand has received US exposure. It's almost as if he thinks he knows how to play the game to win, and when he realized production is going with a story he doesn't like, he gave up. He may be content to call it a day and go home.

Edmond clearly did this. Whether his designs are derivative, old (as in seen before, not the dreaded "M" word) hoochie, whatever, he is a smart competitor and I'm thinking he deserves the win just on that. The lack of preparedness designers have shown in recent years is inexcusable.

I think Swapnil expected to be a darling and star and when he wasn't, he decided not to bother. He's coming off as a spoiled brat to some extent now.

I expect Candice to either won or be the last elimination because the fashion world loves black, especially "edgy" black.

• Love 9

I think Ashley is just very immature - emotionally and professionally and maybe a little behaviorally. Being on Project Runway is the best thing that could happen to her. I don't think she should win, but this experience will really toughen her up. Hopefully her taste in patterns and designs will mature too. In a few years, she can come back on "Project Runway All-Stars" and maybe win.

I don't think Edmond and Swapnil (both are my favorites this season) have the creative chops to be innovative designers and they have hit a wall.

Candice will probably win because she is the only one that seems to still be trying to make unique clothes.

• Love 5

Well, Candice did say that winning last week's challenge was "life altering" and "humbles you as a person in all the right ways" so maybe she'll be shutting up now...

I was struck by how proud she seemed to be of being humble. Irony at its best.

• Love 20

JustFab must have decided that Edmond's dress wasn't hookerish enough, because they added butt ruching. Ruching! On the butt! Just...WHY???

It's like they said to themselves, "Hmmm...how can we make this dress look cheaper? Oh, yeah! Butt-ruching!" 

• Love 6

I forget the name of it, but I've received a catalog every now and again from a clothing company specifically targeted toward youngish party girls--lots of tight dresses, skinny pants, "going out" tops. Edwin's looked like it belonged in that catalog. Not good for a design show, but it was the best of the crap, I supposed.

I think Kelly should be designing workout clothes, and I don't mean that as an insult. Workout separates from her would be fun.

• Love 5

I am surprised and pleased that more contestants are creating garments with sleeves this season. Instead of calling their vests "sleeveless jackets."

Sleeves!

My grouchy "anticipation" post was that we wouldn't be seeing any set-in sleeves or tailored trousers due to the stupid time crunch.  Wrong on both counts, which is good.

• Love 3

I feel bad for him though because his dress is listed in the midi/maxi category as the Project Runway Dress and his name is not mentioned at all.  I hope they fix that he deserves credit for his dress whether I like it or not.

I just took a look and his name and picture are available for view when you click through all the views of the dress (front, back, another model pose, and then Edmond's picture and name). But yeah, they should have mentioned his name in the details description or something more than that, because not everyone will click through each dress view or notice his picture there.

Still... I think he got more of a display than Merline's lingerie. I barely noticed her name at the top of the page (it wasn't in the details of the product, either).

I think Kelly and Betsey Johnson would have fun making crazy, brightly-colored clothes together.  :D

• Love 5

Nah.

Oh my God, when she said "humbles you as a person"… and with a straight face! … I busted out laughing at my TV. 

Yeah, no.

• Love 8

Has anyone checked out JustFab site with Edmond's winning look?

http://www.justfab.com/products/FRONT-CUTOUT-KNIT-DRESS-CL1515255-6010?master_product_id=0

All the designers gushed about how this was a great opportunity to get your designs and name out there, but the designer's name is nowhere to be seen. This promotes Project Runway.

Actually if you scroll the pictures to the right, there's a nice picture of him & his name. I had a Merlene moment: I see you, Edmond!

Edited to add: I should say, I see you sinkwriter, lol!

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 2

I think Kelly and Betsey Johnson would have fun making crazy, brightly-colored clothes together.  :D

Wouldn't it be cool if an established designer that vibes with the contestants' aesthetic mentored them through Fashion Week?  I don't mean through the whole show just for the final collection.  Lifetime, of course, has no budget for that!

• Love 6

Edited to add: I should say, I see you sinkwriter, lol!

LOL! Merline cracks me up every time she says that. 

Wouldn't it be cool if an established designer that vibes with the contestants' aesthetic mentored them through Fashion Week?

Yes. I think that would be amazing. I wish the show were still presenting on a strong enough level where established designers might actually consider doing it.  *sad sigh*

• Love 3

I just took a look and his name and picture are available for view when you click through all the views of the dress (front, back, another model pose, and then Edmond's picture and name). But yeah, they should have mentioned his name in the details description or something more than that, because not everyone will click through each dress view or notice his picture there.

Still... I think he got more of a display than Merline's lingerie. I barely noticed her name at the top of the page (it wasn't in the details of the product, either).

I think Kelly and Betsey Johnson would have fun making crazy, brightly-colored clothes together.  :D

If I were Edmond I wouldn't want credit for that hot mess they are selling on JustFab.

• Love 4

From what I've read about their business model, JustFab is inches from a class action lawsuit, and I'm going to guess at some point some news source is going to go looking into how they can afford to sell dresses and shoes for lunch money, so I'm gonna say it's best for Marie Clair to keep their distance.

Here's an article from The DailyMail that was first published 3 days ago. Hope I'm not going too off topic as the article pertains to actress Kate Hudson's Fabletics. Of course, that company is under the umbrella of JustFab & uses the same sketchy "membership" based sales practices.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3253569/Kate-Hudson-s-activewear-brand-Fabletics-slated-customers-claim-scammed-deceptive-ads.html

• Love 1

Heidi is riding a high right now.  Her judge position on AGT is a prize but it won't last.  She is not good at it.  

If she would settle into the world of fashion, where she shines, she would realize that spending time on being an ambassador to the fashion world would have served her well.  She has let this go.  I don't think she can ride on her toned body and looks forever though she does have a long run with that!  My point is that I think she may have missed her mark to show  case new, skilled, designers entering the field.  She caved to the bright lights.  

Right now she has just another reality game show that has become mediocre. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I'm also tired of Ashley's...well, pretty much I'm just sick of her. I hate the little crop top and circle skirt (Ohhhh, but look! Pockets! Big deal.), her "Gee whiz"/Sally Field Oscar acceptance attitude (You like me! You really like me!), and the tongue bathing the judges give her every single week. Her jacket was cute, but I hate her fabric choices overall and I'm just over her.

Wow, I could have written this comment.  I've been feeling like the judges have been consistently over praising Ashley.  She keeps doing the same things over and over.  The jacket was cute, but you can already buy a jacket like that at Delias.  Circle skirts are very easy to make--I'm not a great seamstress by any means, but I have made many a circle skirt.  Teen fashion websites have been showing circle skirts (very short ones they call skater skirts) and cropped tops for the past 5 years.  This season is seriously short on talent.  If Edmond has tried out for this show so many times previously and not made it, but has won so many times now and is shaping up to be a final 3 contestant, what does that say about the talent this season or lack thereof?  The only one left who seems to have a bit of talent (not so much as a sewer but as a thinker outside of the box) is Merline, but it looks like she will be next to go or maybe Kelly? As for Kelly, I have this motto when it comes to getting my hair cut and styled--if I don't like how the stylist is wearing his/her own hair, I won't let them do mine.  Based on Kelly's personal look and what she keeps sending down the runway (with the exception of the second unconventional challenge dress), I would never consider wearing anything she's designed. This has been a very disappointing season.

• Love 3

Can those of you who sew answer a question for me? Can the dress form the contestants use be adjusted for each model's measurement? I seem to remember that one of the contestants said something about her model not being the same size as her dress form.

For ease, the dress forms should be labeled with the models' names not the contestants' names.

As anyone checked out JustFab site with Edmond's winning look?

http://www.justfab.com/products/FRONT-CUTOUT-KNIT-DRESS-CL1515255-6010?master_product_id=0

Wow - could they have possibly made it look any cheaper?  I guess that's what you get for $40.00!!  I hate that butt ruching, on anything, guess that's just my opinion, but I don't think it looks flattering on too many people.

I've seen (and bought) dresses around that price range, and while they are inexpensive, they don't always look it - I'm sorry for Edmond.  I didn't like the dress to begin with, and now, I like their interpretation even less.

• Love 2

I find all the THs where one designer critiques another a dead bore, and I'd love it if they had a TH panel of a former PW designer, a retail person, and a fashion publishing person who could chime in on where the various designers were headed in their processes. It would be far more interesting to me to see what such a group would have to say about Laurie's breast focus, Merline's seaming, why two designers had trouble getting the right kind of zipper, etc. Of course, they could also switch out the contestant THs with a Swatch-meme, especially since he's seen so little this season.

• Love 2

Candice's skirt was almost exactly like a skirt that lost just a few short seasons ago because the judges, in their pre-crack smoking days, HATED the way it accentuated the hips in exactly the wrong spot.

I have a comment about Tim which I'll post in his thread.

• Love 1

Julia:From what I've read about their business model, JustFab is inches from a class action lawsuit, and I'm going to guess at some point some news source is going to go looking into how they can afford to sell dresses and shoes for lunch money, so I'm gonna say it's best for Marie Clair to keep their distance.

Thank you!   I posted about this in the first season episode. Quite a bit more dicey than a multi-level marketing thing like Mary Kay or Avon.  Just to reiterate - it's a kind of a Shoe of the Month type deal - and IMO while it isn't a scam exactly, it walks a thin line, as all those Blank of the Month clubs do.  I'm sure a lot of people fail to realize(because the design of the  site deliberately makes this hard to see) that when they buy their first item  they have now joined a club which will automatically deduct 39.95 from their account every month.  While this is undoubtedly the future of a certain kind of fashion - it ain't classy and it ain't couture.

For those of you who didn't look at Julia's link, you should - here it is again.  Eye-opening indeed.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/27/not-so-vip/

• Love 2

Who the hell is Nina trying to kid? She said that Edmond's dress could be worn by many sizes, and that's BS. You have to be stick thin, with absolutely no lumps, to carry off that dress.

Swapnil's attitude that he's always number one is grating on me. He's felt for the whole season that he has no equal, and that his win was in the bag.

Laurie likes to only make hootchie clothes, and that doesn't work on this show.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 1

Yes Nina, everyone could wear Edmond's dress but not everyone should wear it.  She's just wrong.  I tried to look at Merline's dress but I think she should have gone home.  Awful design and sewing.  I guess I just don't see what the judges do.  I don't like any designs at all.  I love Ashley and her designs.  Her jacket was amazing.  I hope she wins and if not her I hope Candice does.  I loved Candice's top with the collars (didn't like the skirt).  They are my favs

This show needs to decide if it's a design competition or a sewing contest. "Impeccably made" may have been a fair discriminator when they had two day challenges, but now they should be grateful the contestants send anything remotely finished down the Runway.

It irritated me when Heidi was trying to change the others' opinions of Candice's design by pointing out how well made it was. After all, presumably a successful designer is going to get that way because of, you know, their designing skill. They won't be actually sewing their own clothing. Some people sew faster than others, so what, in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter.

Also, I like Ashley's clothing a lot, but, come on, she needs to branch out from the circle skirt and the crop top. This was a case of her amazing sewing skills trumping her actual designing skills.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 4

Candice's skirt was almost exactly like a skirt that lost just a few short seasons ago because the judges, in their pre-crack smoking days, HATED the way it accentuated the hips in exactly the wrong spot.

I have a comment about Tim which I'll post in his thread.

Thank you -- I thought it was a re-run design and, yes, it is not flattering to the hips at all.  The model didn't look flattering in it, so there is NO hope for the rest of us.

• Love 2

Can those of you who sew answer a question for me? Can the dress form the contestants use be adjusted for each model's measurement?

Atir, it doesn't look like they use adjustable dress forms on the show. They should have the model's measurements written down, and in real life seams would be basted for fitting before the final sewing.

• Love 1

I love me some Edmond, but didn't love his dress. It was a nice dress, but looked like something I'd seen Kelly Bundy wear on Married With Children. I was hoping he'd pull out a great look with the black, white and red fabric he bought, if only to shut Candace up. She was on my nerves with all her little critiques of everyone's work. She also made a little snide comment about Kelly that I forget, but remember that it turned me off.

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 3

Can those of you who sew answer a question for me? Can the dress form the contestants use be adjusted for each model's measurement?

Atir, it doesn't look like they use adjustable dress forms on the show. They should have the model's measurements written down, and in real life seams would be basted for fitting before the final sewing.

Broderbits is right. The forms they're using are sized to a standard, though I don't know what size--maybe a 4? 6? Adjustable dress forms exist but these aren't them. And yes, they should have the model's measurements either provided or simply take them when they know which young woman will be wearing whatever they make that week. The designers should use the actual measurements anyway--almost no one is a perfect size whatever and a lot of people have one breast larger or higher than the other, a hip or shoulder out of line or so on.

I'm bored with this season.  Unimpressed.   Antsy.

The designers are so equally terrible that I'm becoming more critical of their personal wardrobe affectations than their crappy designs.   Merline's hats.  Edmond's hat.   Candice's "everyday is Halloween" look.

I can't picture even one of the remaining knuckleheads presenting at Fashion Week.

• Love 6
Julia:From what I've read about their business model, JustFab is inches from a class action lawsuit, and I'm going to guess at some point some news source is going to go looking into how they can afford to sell dresses and shoes for lunch money, so I'm gonna say it's best for Marie Clair to keep their distance.

Oh, it's not inches. They were sued in 2014 and ended up paying out $1.8 million. 

I don't like Kelly's design aesthetic. It looks so trashy 80/early 90s and not in a cute, nostalgic way but in a way that constantly reminds me why the those clothes went out of style. I'm not sure I love any of the designers' design aesthetics. I'd say that of the designers, Ashley and Edmond are my favorites. They're not trying so hard to be innovative that they forget how to make a woman's body look good. It's something I've seen in a lot of fashion lately and PR is following the trend. When I look at more classically-oriented designers like Tadashi Shoji or a more avant-garde designer but still one who has a lot of construction elements like Vivienne Westwood, their designs always seem to have an actual woman at the heart of them. I'm seeing way too much fashion that's just plain ugly lately. And maybe that's why I hate so much of what's coming down the PR Runway, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know if I don't like the looks because I don't like the designers and their aesthetic or if I don't like the looks because I just don't agree with where fashion is going.

• Love 4

JustFab is so incredibly cheap and low rent that I cannot believe that anyone at PR thought it was a good idea to partner with them.  All their clothes are cheap sweatshop crap that is a rip-off at $40.  All their shoes and dresses in that price range look like they ought to retail at $9.99.  It is Payless on a website. That is all it is.  The accessory wall may as well be Payless; JustFab is of the exact same quality.  

Which brings me to: this challenge was about designing for the absolute opposite of high fashion.  Of course it was going to fail.  

Ashley really needs to grow at least five more years as a designer. Edmond is good but I don't think he really understands women all that well.  Ah Candice, well the goth Betty Page thing is fortunately extremely popular among girls who want to show how unique they are.  I think Candice has a niche there because apparently this look just gets updated every five years or so and is presented to the goth Betty Pages and adopted en mass.  Laurie has the most irritating voice.  

• Love 5

So they claim blue skirt is basic, Ashley's look is not super original, but Edmonds red tube dress with some strings is amazing and not the most obvious choice ever for bombshell?

Judges are crazy this year. Well, the last few years. But give me a break.

• Love 2

Funny, I have just the opposite approach....if I like a stylist's hair, I ask them who did their hair and that's who I want to do mine.

I always assume (maybe I'm wrong) that a hair stylist does his/her own hair, and if I don't like it, then I won't like how they do mine.  Looking at the Just Fab website, it looks as if they removed most of the ruching down the body of Edmond's dress which IMO made it look a little less cheap.  The Just Fab version looks like a dress from Forever 21's clearance rack.

• Love 1

Edmund, listen up bud.  No male under 12 years old should ever wear his cap sideways.  Please stop it.  It bugs me.  Thank you.

When Ashley's model took off the jacket, I couldn't believe how cute the sleeves and the back of the top was.  She should have had her model remove the jacket while walking on the runway.  What's the matter with her?  Could she be so insecure that she's afraid of winning?  So insecure that she doesn't think people would accept her at fashion week, so she tries to sabotage herself?

• Love 6

Oh, it's not inches. They were sued in 2014 and ended up paying out $1.8 million.

Oooh, I did not know that.  Goddess bless Santa Cruz (and Santa Clara, but this feels like a Santa Cruz project).

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Can those of you who sew answer a question for me? Can the dress form the contestants use be adjusted for each model's measurement? I seem to remember that one of the contestants said something about her model not being the same size as her dress form.

For ease, the dress forms should be labeled with the models' names not the contestants' names.

I think I know what your asking....No, the form is a size and shape and that's it. It really is up to each designer to make the garment custom for the model. 

There are adjustable dress forms but I don't know the ones they use are that type. And since the contestants are expected to be professional I don't know why they don't use them. But, then, hardly any of the contestants can finish a seam or press a seam properly anyway...

• Love 4

Plus the preview of the next episode shows both Swapnil with a clean face AND with his beard. So confused by this.

Maybe the designers got a mini makeover. Ashley' s hairstyle is different, and Kelly's hair didn't look as awful as usual. Of course, it looks like Candice is still doing goth Natasha.

Meana seems to have an irrational hatred for Kelly.  Maybe she's too "low-class" for Meana.  What a bitch that woman is.

I read your comment before viewing, and thought Meana Irena would be a guest judge.

What in the world was Kelly doing wearing a fanny pack on stage during judging? She looked like a lost tourist.

After reading the comments, all I can think is where is Christian Seriano or Laura Bennett? Those two set a standard...if we have guest judges, why not ask them?

As for JustFab, I thank those that posted those links...reminds me that H&M has been in the same game...cheap clothes at low prices, with fast turnover. Most produced in dangerous sweatshops in Vietnam or Bangladesh, where workers are grossly overworked and underpaid, often in unsafe working conditions.

Partnering with JustFab and MaryKay should be a major clue that the show is now running on fumes. The fashion industry is built on class consciousness and the tells that are embedded in clothing choices...and Garcia knows she's now in the wrong venue, though probably locked in contractually..and she likes to express her frustration by going after Kelly who is openly working class and honest about it. Being on the show is no longer a good move for Garcia or for Marie Claire.

It's downmarket.

• Love 10

After reading the comments, all I can think is where is Christian Seriano or Laura Bennett? Those two set a standard...if we have guest judges, why not ask them?

As for JustFab, I thank those that posted those links...reminds me that H&M has been in the same game...cheap clothes at low prices, with fast turnover. Most produced in dangerous sweatshops in Vietnam or Bangladesh, where workers are grossly overworked and underpaid, often in unsafe working conditions.

Partnering with JustFab and MaryKay should be a major clue that the show is now running on fumes. The fashion industry is built on class consciousness and the tells that are embedded in clothing choices...and Garcia knows she's now in the wrong venue, though probably locked in contractually..and she likes to express her frustration by going after Kelly who is openly working class and honest about it. Being on the show is no longer a good move for Garcia or for Marie Claire.

It's downmarket.

I think Harvey Weinstein (producer/creator?) once said that he would sell sponsorships to the highest bidder (double entendre intended) no matter who the sponsor was.  Even if it didn't make a tiny bit of sense.  Which is why we got Yoplait and Red Robin -- I guess until they figured out that they weren't going to get any return on their investment.  And I suspect the Lord&Taylor and BlueFly weren't going to offer big bucks to be on this show once it became a 11 hour challenge trainwreck.  So now you get the bottom of the barrel sponsors rolling into town.  We aren't far from a 99 cent only store accessory wall, and the Wet n' Wild makeup studio.

I keep dreaming that MK will one day come back and save me from Zac and his failed attempts at snark.  But I think MK got out at the right time....before this show became.....this.....

• Love 8

Pardon my ignorance but is Marie Claire a high end fashion magazine? I have always equated that magazine with gossip columns and fads of the month.

I haven't read it in forever so maybe it has changed but it was pretty high fashion with a younger bent plus it had articles about politics and women's issues from around the world. Definitely not like Cosmopolitan.

• Love 4