Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Make It Sell

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

My apologies to Nina, but no, not everyone can wear Edmond;s dress.  Even fewer can look good in it.  I myself would look like series of beach balls shoved into a red nylon, but I digress.....  Ready to wear should be just that - ready to wear.  Edmond's dress was only ready for a select few.  There were other pieces on the runway that would fit a larger (wider?  bigger?) audience.  Furthermore, I think it looked a little trashy, but that's just one woman's opinion....  it did not pass the "would I let my daughter out of the house in it" test.

• Love 13

It is a shame that this is no longer Heidi's baby. She has too much going on in her life to give the the attention it once had and that shows.  And it has picked up momentum on the downhill slide.   One day challenges are not going to draw the future Christian Siriano  talent to apply.  This used to be one of my favorite shows.   sigh

Edited by wings707
  • Love 19

Edmond:   What the heck am I missing here this week?  Edmond's dress was the exact same hoochie mini dress that you can see at Homecoming dances and proms across the country, and have seen at those dances for years.   The judges think that LOTS of women can wear this?  Other than 16-18 yrs enjoying their first drink on a fake ID?  Why did this win?   The weaving at the front and back wasn't even done well and frankly we've seen that same look several times this season.  Ridiculous.  Not a bad dress, but not a winning dress.   This contest must have been for Charlotte Russe rather than JustFab.  Bog standard teenaged hoochie momma.

Laurie:  She was definitely past her "sell by date".   Laurie couldn't even figure out how to accommodate a bra under a top.  Time to go home.  The top was hideous, the skirt was basic and not well made.   Time to pack up your things.

Swapnil:  What has happened to him in the last couple of weeks?  That dress could have been nice with a few tweaks.  He's still showing potential, but missing the mark.   Is he burned out from the pressure?  I had hopes for him this season.  Maybe he can still pull it out.

Ashley:  I wondered at the beginning of the season if Ashley would be able to stretch beyond her basic retro style during these competitions.  She really hasn't, but she's been fairly consistent in her ability to produce cute and nicely made outfits.  I could have given her the win this week, but without all that much enthusiasm.  The jacket was really cute, but an item that's been a standard for years even in the metallic.  The skirt is essentially the same one from the unconventional materials challenge.  The top is yet another cropped tank, the top the designers seem to trot out when they can't think of anything else.  She did design for her archtype, though, something most of the others didn't.

Kelly:  I thought this was horrible.  The mixing of patterns was an interesting idea but something, maybe her construction or her selection of leggings and a cropped top made this look really cheap and sleazy.   Along with that Cookie Monster fur vest, this was a street walker outfit and one with an underage vibe to it.  Bad, bad, bad.   Yes, Kelly, leggings and a cropped top are really trend setting and no one has ever thought of doing a cheap a$%ed looking fur vest.  Except those ones I saw on sale at H&M last week.

Candice:  If Candice had controlled herself on the scarf collars, gotten rid of the lace underlayer on the skirt, and slightly repositioned the satin skirt layer, this would have been a big winner.  It was the most interesting outfit on the runway by far.  I'd have given her the win this week, even with those issues, over Edmund's hoochie prom dress.   

Merline:  This had potential.  It really did.  I wish she'd made a white sheath dress that fit like a million dollars and had those white mesh inserts.  That could have been a winning look.  Her top was good, although it could have been made better.  The skirt was a mess.

• Love 7

Based on the editing, I thought we were headed for Tim Gunn using his save on Kelly. I was kind of surprised at how it turned out. Either way, her edit is really ramping up, so she's either going to win and become a frontrunner next week or she's going home. Hoping for the former. 

It took me some time to form a real opinion on this season, but I'm thinking it's pretty decent. Certainly better than most other seasons from the post-Siriano era. I mostly like all of these people, although I'd rather see Kelly, Candice or Swapnil win.

• Love 7

It looked to me that this season is simply reaping what the producers have sown (yes, that's a pun) regarding the bad decision to have virtually all 1 day challenges which means not enough time to create, think of a decent design, rushed pattern making, not enough time to properly sew a decent garment or produce good finishes. Yes, they're saving $ on production costs but they're also killing what made the show interesting and are just coasting on what was a pretty good reputation back in the day.

I don't care who you are or how good--creativity takes time and good craftsmanship does as well. Sure, there are exceptions like Christian Sirrano who could sew like the wind but, frankly, despite the major love and talent he engendered, some of his stuff sucked to me--well made though it may have been and his year they had many more 2 day assignments, or so memory serves. I also agree with a previous poster who mentioned that the casting people seem to have opted for personalities instead of sheer talent. Sure, you want someone who can bring a degree of entertainment to a TV show, but c'mon--my dog could design better than some of the contestants the last couple of years. Absolutely, some of these people are genuinely talented but are hamstringed by the limitations put on them. I realize that's part of the 'fun', but it's also cramping their abilities.

As for last night's episode...okay, there were all the problems of not enough time; hence the poorly or unfinished garments. Sure, some of that was just lack of sewing skills but it was also caused by not enough time to properly plan and then ditching first tries and restarts with borrowed or savaged fabric. If they'd had, say, 2 days, I suspect that wouldn't have happened...at least not as much. As to the complaint about how this is supposed to be a design competition, not a sewing skills duel--no matter what the art field, if you can't master and fully understand the hows and whys of your craft, you can't fully understand the possibilities and limitations of your materials, be them paint and canvas, fabric or sheet metal. Clothing designers must be able to know what fabrics,  pleats, hem finishes or collar treatments will be appropriate in different situations.

And as for the products being boring or 'been there, done that', you're all right. But these items were for a mass market and catalog/internet sales, not just runway creations. They were supposed to be salable to a specific market--young, hip and all that. No, they didn't all work but the designers were given a specific challenge and some of them failed but a couple hit the park--that red dress would sell well to a certain target, as would Ashley's jacket. Not cutting edge but marketable and on that level they succeeded. The whole point of the garment industry is to sell clothes--most people want something which is wearable, makes them feel good and can be worn for a while in different situations--is versatile or classic enough to keep on going for more than a single season.

And having said all that, the woman from JustFab knew her shit--she knew what she wanted, what would sell and what she knew was a waste of her time. I was impressed by her.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 15

If I had the body to wear that red dress, the whole world of fashion would be my oyster and I wouldn't be wasting my time on that bandage dress with a few little laces at the top.

• Love 21

Okay, I admit that I like Ashley as a person so I make allowances for her designs.  That said, I was impressed that she really made a nice looking outfit given a poor choice of fabric and being short one zipper.  When Tim said it looked like a hospital gown, that's all I could see but on the runway, it looked much better than that.  I particularly liked the dart in the back of the top in a contrasting color that picked up the triangle print of the material.  Of course, we never would have seen it unless one of the judges asked to see the top without the jacket.  Way to sell your design, honey.

• Love 11

I thought it was hilarious that Heidi finally scored a guest judge on the same wavelength of delusion:   "Every girl, EVERY girl, would wear [primary color leggings with a dusty blue-grey bathmat!]"

And speaking of color dissonance, I think deep saturated cheetah is one of the few looks that doesn't pair well with crisp snowy white.

Ashley's hospital scrub print was most unfortunate, but if you're stuck with "Girl Next Door" on top of mass marketing limitations, matte metallic leather jacket over cheerleader gear is about right.  She really got hobbled with Girl Next Door, compared to go-crazy Nouveau, Bombshell, etc.  [ETA: on second thought, being forced to rein in the crazy probably gave her a headstart on pleasing the JustFab woman.]

P.S>Zac having to rationalize about "good ideas that weren't executed well" makes me think he probably hates this One-Day Challenge frantic clusterfuck as much as we do.

Edited by candall
  • Love 4

I think my biggest complaint is the crack-smoking judges considering Kelly's look "too junior", yet praising Ashley's incredibly juvenile look. 

I believe that Ashley's top & skirt outfit could LITERALLY be reproduced, right now, for an 8 year-old girl.  Same design, same fabric, same proportions.  And I really don't think Kellys could.  That body conscious duo would only work for a youngster in a gymnastics class.  Otherwise, it's appropriate for the 18 and older crowd.

Except for the vest.  I think 8 year-old girls would LOVE that blue vest. :)

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

I agree wholeheartedly that the show has gone downhill because of the demand to create something wonderful in one day. It adds tension and drama, and that's what the producers seem to want instead of quality designs.  Add to that a low budget for fabric ($100), and the fact that Tim Gunn will come in and trash your garment so that you feel that you have to start over again,  AND, you need to make a t shirt with your logo, I'm amazed that anyone can get anything put together. Edmund started all over with the red dress, so I give him lots of credit for that, and I'm glad he won.

• Love 7

It says something about the Tim Gunn Save that you can smell it from three days away.

Yeah, it has the faint whiff of rotting eggs.

I'm super frustrated with Swapnil, much as I still love the guy. Tim told him it was a look that was already out there, and he basically said "So what?" The shrug thing was hideous and didn't go with the dress. I'm not as sick of him as Zac appears to be, but I do want to shake him out of his complacency.

I don't think anyone should have taken Tim's advice on this challenge.  Tim, clearly didn't understand the challenge.  Most of his critiques were "well I've seen this already."  The JustFab client is not likely to be someone who is dying to try to find the thing that is on the brink of fashion, she is likely a girl who wants something that is already out there at a $30 price point.  Counseling the designers to be "fashion forward" was a bad idea.  He would have been better off counseling them to be "on trend" and to make sure that they didn't have details that would be hard to photograph or tough to reproduce.

He told Kelly he liked what she was doing, but is that really the JustFab customer?  If he had seen Edmond's redesigned dress, he would have told him that he had "seen it before" because everyone has seen that dress before.  But its perfect for JustFab.

Have you ever heard Nina use the term "editorial" as a slam before? That was jarring.

Nina was throwing the most undercover, night shade at JustFab.  It was all basically "well, the JustFab customer isn't that fashionable, she certainly isn't as fashionable as Marie Clair, so while this look may be editorial and high fashion, the JustFab customer is so low fashion that she won't get it."

• Love 13

I liked the "nobody could agree" aspect of this one. I'm always surprised we don't run into this more, especially with the "win and it'll be produced by SPONSOR" challenges. I feel like these challenges always go one of two ways and it's tremendously difficult to predict which, and for once, the opposing views from the judges illustrated that, on air. For example, the way Zac took Edmund to task because it's a design competition and we've seen that dress before, all of his criticisms were totally valid I think. Then the defense was "it's classic and never goes out of style" and then the others were all "yes I'd wear it and so would a ton and it's cute and good". And that's the thing: most challenges "I'd wear it"+"cute and/or sexy" isn't enough. And on this show it's not supposed to be. But on these challenges, it's absolutely the name of the game. So you're better off in this type of challenge doing something that IS basically a minor riff on something we've seen a zillion times before, because it has to be easy to mass produce, and nice, and vaguely accessible. The same dress that would get you ripped to shreds any other week as "fine but boring" is exactly what they're requesting in this challenge. If you go too far afield, even if they like the outfit, if it's wrong for the challenge they can and will get rid of you for it. So on one chair you have Zac criticizing lack of originality and on the other Nina saying "were you listening when we explained what was being asked of you for this?" And I have to think going into these sorts of challenges the designers know that. They know that they might get ripped by the judges either way. And in past similar episodes, it hasn't been a matter of satisfying both. Sometimes they seem to let go of the producible bit if they really love it, and then the produced version just looks totally different. And other times they pick the most boring easily reproducible but wearable thing, and tell someone else "great but wrong challenge". So it really is, more so than other weeks, a matter of guessing what the judges really want because in this case it doesn't seem to be an actual balance of both.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 5

After checking the winner on JustFab, it looks even more streetwalker than the original. Edmond is very talented, but this only won because it was the least worst. Crappiest runway I've seen in years. I did, however, love the JustFab judge; she was no-nonsense and focused. She'd make a great replacement for Nina!

• Love 15

Yeah, I checked the Just Fab site before this forum this morning! :D It looks like they cleaned up the latticework and actually made it fit cleaner. Edmond's had bunching all over the bust and hips and waist that I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. Guess not!

But checking the site, even briefly, it's clear why Edmond won. That's exactly the kind of stuff they sell on JustFab. They would never sell anything like Candice's or Kelly's. It's all very basic, somewhat stylish clothes. 

I really didn't like Candice's. That necktie lapel just overwhelmed the entire front of the outfit with those stripes and all that messy fabric. It didn't look good. And I also hated the way the tiers in the skirt worked. That middle layer that stuck out on the top just looked like a shelf.

And I don't understand why Edmond didn't put his model's hair up since it totally obscured the latticework he did on the back to match the front. Also, why Ashley didn't have her model take off the jacket to show off that cute top that she actually put work into. The way she presented it, she made it seem like it was a super-simple crop top, but there was a little more to it. I mean, not a lot, but still… Show your work! :)

I can freely admit that Kelly's outfit was a little crazy, but she has a clear point of view and you always know which one is hers. (Much like you know that the black gothic one is Candice) I wouldn't wear any of it (I'm also a guy, but whatever), but it's fun and she's a hoot. Say what you will about her designs, but Kelly seems like she's be a lot of fun to go out for drinks with! :D

I don't understand what's going on with Swapnil. He was so good in the beginning but the last couple weeks he's been kind of crap. It's weird. I knew he'd be in trouble as soon as he was choosing between which leopard print fabric would be the least tacky. Ugh. And those white straps just looked terrible. However, both Laurie and Merlene were much worse. I honestly would've auffed them both, since clearly the other is going to go next week.

I would assume there's a time limit on the Tim Gunn Save, and he can't use it after a certain week. I would've thought it would be the same time as no more immunity, but maybe next week will be the final chance to be saved. I'm not surprised he hasn't used it yet, because it's usually reserved for when a clearly talented designer has an off week early on. But this season, everyone who's been eliminated has deserved it.

Edited by Wootini
  • Love 6

I could have sworn that Laurie made that outfit before on the show but it was better made.

I think Edmond deserved the win because that dressed epitomized "fast fashion" to me meaning that it is cheap to reproduce, inexpensive to purchase and something that would sell.

I liked Ashley's jacket but wasn't a fan of the rest of the outfit. That print looked like a sofa in a timeshare from the 80s. Having gone to many raves in the past, I really liked Kelly's look. The rest just weren't all that good.

• Love 4

As anyone checked out JustFab site with Edmond's winning look?

All the designers gushed about how this was a great opportunity to get your designs and name out there, but the designer's name is nowhere to be seen. This promotes Project Runway.

• Love 8

I agree wholeheartedly that the show has gone downhill because of the demand to create something wonderful in one day. It adds tension and drama, and that's what the producers seem to want instead of quality designs.  Add to that a low budget for fabric ($100), and the fact that Tim Gunn will come in and trash your garment so that you feel that you have to start over again,  AND, you need to make a t shirt with your logo, I'm amazed that anyone can get anything put together. Edmund started all over with the red dress, so I give him lots of credit for that, and I'm glad he won.

I, too, think it's for the sake of tension and drama rather than budget.  Schmucks.

I'm adding to your list:  being forced to take 20 minutes away from the eight hours you have to produce your outfit so you can design a creative, memorable, t-shirt friendly brand name and logo that you might foreseeably be stuck with for the rest of your career.  Woe be to he who hadn't arrived with that in his back pocket.

• Love 2

If I had the body to wear that red dress, the whole world of fashion would be my oyster and I wouldn't be wasting my time on that bandage dress with a few little laces at the top.

well, if I had a body like that I would change clothes multiple times a day....so maybe :)

• Love 5

http://www.justfab.com/products/FRONT-CUTOUT-KNIT-DRESS-CL1515255-6010?master_product_id=0

They fixed the messiness of the straps, smoothed out the fabric, and it seems a little longer, available in red and black.  It's a standard dress available at a wide variety of places.  

All the designers gushed about how this was a great opportunity to get your designs and name out there, but the designer's name is nowhere to be seen. This promotes Project Runway.

Probably because in a few weeks no one will remember Edmund's name.  Other than a few standouts (both good and bad), how many Project Runway contestants can you name?  How many winners of the "get your outfit in the store or online" challenges can you remember?

When you turn on the TV to watch a fashion competition, this is the sort of challenge you'd expect to see. So I actually enjoyed it from start to finish, until the Edmond win. Makes sense he won for a dress everyone already has or has passed up buying, but it was eye-rolling because it was anti-fashion for mass-production fast-fashion. Ashley really put a designer spin on that basic fun, flirty, feminine look, which is why it lost, but I wish she had won.

Candace made another swashbuckling overworked, overrated mess.

I tend to agree with the only actual designer there--Zac Posen--that Kelly's and Merline's to a much lesser extent actually were creative. Kelly is a bit like Mondo in that way of being able to mix fun bright colours and patterns at the risk of the "junior" critique.

Does Merline remind anyone of Macy Gray? They even have the same bad posture.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 5

A single dot in a die would be dead center. Her series of squares with the dot being in a different location reminded me of an SAT question: "what comes next in this series?"

But I do think there's some reason or rational to it.

• Love 3

I thought this was a fun episode. I liked the judges not agreeing.

I can see why Edmond won, but I preferred Ashley's outfit. I thought she did the most with that print. It was cute.

Kelly is adorable, and her style interesting. But it needs to be refined. That she couldn't edit out the fur coat is what will auf her.

Candice is just high on her own fumes. Her designs are becoming increasingly overworked.

I liked Laurie, and initially had high hopes for her. But she really didn't offer up much. I think even she was ready to go home.

Can't wait to see what gets Tim so riled up next week.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 6

I looked at Edmunds design on JustFab and I understand why Ashley didn't win now.  There are many of those tight little dresses there and they cost $39.99 - $44.99.  He fits their style and price.  I don't think Ashely's 3 pieces could sell for that low.  His dress comes in red and black and most disturbing in XXL.  Nobody should be wearing that dress in that size!  I feel bad for him though because his dress is listed in the midi/maxi category as the Project Runway Dress and his name is not mentioned at all.  I hope they fix that he deserves credit for his dress whether I like it or not.

• Love 6

The dress is $9.99 in a junk email I received...

Also, Macy Gray absolutely (Merleen)

Who do we all think TG is goimg to save-Kelly? I don't mind her but really hate her clothes.

Ashley whiiiines so much. Everything is sooooo hard for her.

How do the models get assigned. World's biggest secret?

• Love 1

The dress is $9.99 in a junk email I received...

Also, Macy Gray absolutely (Merleen)

Who do we all think TG is goimg to save-Kelly? I don't mind her but really hate her clothes.

Ashley whiiiines so much. Everything is sooooo hard for her.

How do the models get assigned. World's biggest secret?

Wish I knew, because I think they all should be fighting for Aube.  She seems to be Ashley's model now.

• Love 5

Not for nothing, but I'm surprised that the woman from JustFab didn't approach Ashley after the show and say "Listen, we also want to sell your jacket." 

Not the top and skirt, but just the jacket. But maybe they have to wait until after some kind of window of exclusivity with Edmond's dress.

• Love 6

Not for nothing, but I'm surprised that the woman from JustFab didn't approach Ashley after the show and say "Listen, we also want to sell your jacket." 

Not the top and skirt, but just the jacket. But maybe they have to wait until after some kind of window of exclusivity with Edmond's dress.

The lady from JustFab seemed so into that jacket that they are probably going to design some knock off of it anyways.  I don't know if they would have had to sell the entire look or if they could have just sold the jacket.  

The lady from JustFab seemed so into that jacket that they are probably going to design some knock off of it anyways.  I don't know if they would have had to sell the entire look or if they could have just sold the jacket.  

I figured since Ashley didn't win, they wouldn't be obligated to produce the entire winning look. She could just go for the jacket, which she said they could sell the hell out of. And having glanced at that site, I would have to agree. It's totally up their alley.

• Love 2

I believe that Ashley's top & skirt outfit could LITERALLY be reproduced, right now, for an 8 year-old girl.  Same design, same fabric, same proportions.  

Yeah, I got a similar skirt and jacket for my 7 and 8 year-old girls for school clothes this year from Target and Old Navy. 

It is a juvenile look to some degree, but apparently it's pretty popular with a certain demographic. Definitely skews younger, though. And, from my limited Google searching, it looks like it's a pretty popular look on Etsy too. :D

1b6e0dceeeefcdc4d61c61a827ed1dec.jpg

Edited by bowlwoman
  • Love 2

I looked at Edmunds design on JustFab and I understand why Ashley didn't win now.  There are many of those tight little dresses there and they cost $39.99 - $44.99.  He fits their style and price.  I don't think Ashely's 3 pieces could sell for that low.  His dress comes in red and black and most disturbing in XXL.  Nobody should be wearing that dress in that size!  I feel bad for him though because his dress is listed in the midi/maxi category as the Project Runway Dress and his name is not mentioned at all.  I hope they fix that he deserves credit for his dress whether I like it or not.

LOL, their "XXL" is a 16-18.

• Love 1

http://www.justfab.com/products/FRONT-CUTOUT-KNIT-DRESS-CL1515255-6010?master_product_id=0

Yep, that's it. And I'm sure it is going to look fabulous in any size over L, and that would only work on someone super tall. This dress is totally unforgiving and will show every figure flaw, can't believe they are selling it in sizes up to XXL. It is definitely affordable, so there's that I guess.

• Love 1

Yep, that's it. And I'm sure it is going to look fabulous in any size over L, and that would only work on someone super tall. This dress is totally unforgiving and will show every figure flaw, can't believe they are selling it in sizes up to XXL. It is definitely affordable, so there's that I guess.

I've seen bigger girls in far less forgiving dresses.  But the dress just looks terrible.  Whats with that funky seam at the butt?

• Love 1

I'm a size 8 and that dress would be a stretch for me. I feel like at a size 18, I just don't know.....

Oh, I totally agree it's going to look unflattering on anyone over a size 2. I just wanted to point out that what JustFab is sizing as "XXL" is generally a "L" or "XL" in many stores. I generally wear XXL, and it normally corresponds to 22-24 in the places I shop. Some places it's 20-22, but a 16 is never considered XXL anywhere I've been.

• Love 4

I didn't like most of this from a "Would I wear it?" standpoint. Actually, not any of it. I thought Candice's look was hideous, ditto Kelly's (though both were SO obviously recognizable as theirs). Laurie's skirt was fine, but it was indeed very basic. The winning dress would be problematic on anyone that didn't have a model body - but XXL women will absolutely buy and wear it in both colors. I have no doubt. Within the parameters of this challenge, it made total sense for it to be the winner - it's cheap to produce and very mass market. I'd say the same of Swapnil's, with a little editing.

When Laurie was talking about a strapless bra I was like "Girl, what?" I was shopping for something to wear on New Year's Eve and the saleswoman tried to show me a backless top. It was in a gorgeous color that would look good on me (I have stuff in that color), but I was like "Nope. I need to wear a bra." And I own a strapless backless bra, but the top was even lower than that. That's what I thought when I saw Laurie's. She STAYS keeping her model's breasts (BREASTS, HEIDI) out.

Totally agree that the root of Nina's distaste for Kelly is classism. Kelly is very openly working class and Nina just is not interested in that - or anything "down market," including Just Fab. I don't like Kelly's aesthetic at all (I've called her tacky), but at least it's consistent and distinct. (And I like Kelly as a person.)

I totally made the "Kelly killed Cookie Monster" joke to one of my friends as I was watching, and then Zac said it. VINDICATION!

• Love 4

An XXL in that dress is probably actually a size 14.

On a completely unrelated note, I keep hoping that on one of Kelly's trips into the hair and makeup area that one of the stylists nicely suggests that she comb her hair.

• Love 7

I'm watching a runway show with truly terrible clothes. I'm watching the Queen of Mean who looks permanently displeased. I 'm watching Zac who looks like a sixth grader presented with awful choices in the cafeteria. i am especially watching Tim Gunn who does not look well, and seems to be completely off his game this season.

Maybe Nina's upset because JustFab won't advertise in Marie Claire.

Tim looks like he's not wearing any makeup.  Or else MaryKay's makeup is just not any good for people with blotchy skin.  I am hoping he's not sick … 

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 1
On a completely unrelated note, I keep hoping that on one of Kelly's trips into the hair and makeup area that one of the stylists nicely suggests that she comb her hair.

Agree.

Also, glad that Laurie is gone and can I just say how much I dislike Candice. Perhaps she means well but she comes off as a know-it-all who feels the need to critique everyone else's work when she should be critiquing her own.

• Love 3

(Wow.. my post wouldn't go through, then got totally mangled and the quotes boxes vanished. I'll try to fix with italics)

I can't figure out what is up with Swapnil.

I'm beginning to think Swapnil is high, and not in a metaphorical way. Literally high. His talking heads sound and look more and more absurd with his goofy mannerisms. If he has stopped smoking cigs, then he should be tired and cranky. I've never know ANYONE who stopped tobacco cold turkey who wasn't tired and cranky. He's loopier and loopier every episode. Something's off.

Meline is rather sweet, but I don't think even she knows what she is doing.

Only Zac Posen seems to want to be there, and I thank him for that.   Heidi seems to be working backwards with regard to maturity.  I sometimes think she thinks she a 20 something.  And my beloved Tim Gunn.  Does he care at all?

I wonder if all the backlash from Under the Gunn has affected his attitude. His commercial talks about how he feels blessed or lucky to have this new post-50 career, but he acts like he's just there for the $ or something.

I love Merline. I love the way she maturely handled being picked late for the team, the way she respected (too much maybe) the demands from Joseph that she "behave", and the attitude she shows on the runway. I think if she upped her execution skills and time management issues, she could be a successful designer.

We saw in one episode that her hyper behavior was bugging everyone, but since, we've mostly seen her be respectful and no less professional than anyone else. She goes in circles and takes awhile to settle into what she's doing, but she's sorta the anti-swapnil in that regard. At least she isn't cocky and she is trying up til the last minute to bring a vision to life. Swapnil's phoning it in. Perhaps they should team up to get something done. The main complainer I remember about her in the episode that gave her a really bad edit was Laurie and since then, Laurie just came across more and more as a judgy little priss.

God help me, I loved Kelly's. Would I wear it or buy it? Fuck no. But it had a very distinct look, cohesive design, and was off the wall in a good way.

I think the pieces of Kelly's look all had potential but together it was too much. She could do a 60's retro thing with that muppet fabric and a simple minidress. (but maybe it would work better if it was trim rather than the whole vest) Both the leggings and top could be worn with other things so that there was only one statement piece. In some ways, this might be a smart move for a retail challenge if one assumed that the pieces could be bought individually.

It's also not unusual for runway outfits to be overdesigned/over the top/ outrageous with the expectation that a high end customer who orders a look will want elements of it, not the whole thing (saw a fascinating show on Haute Couture on PBS a few years ago, and the final product these rich women ended up with often bore little resemblance to the actual runway look)

I don't believe this was Kelly's strategy, because I don't think she's that savvy as a designer, but it's a valid strategy.

Swapnil isn't even trying at all, And the JustFab woman was right when she said that Swapnil should be doing the designing, & that they shouldn’t be talking about redesigning his work.

I was saying that to the tv even as they were doing it! "This would be a decent design if he did this and this and this..." In other words, if you redesigned it, it would be a decent design. They were falling over themselves to salvage Swapnil. Thank you JustFab lady for calling them out on it! I prefer to see them making excuses for someone whose execution was off, but had interesting ideas. Saying "If this was sewn better, it would be a winning look" is a better rationale than "If this was designed better, it would be a winning design"!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

From what I've read about their business model, JustFab is inches from a class action lawsuit, and I'm going to guess at some point some news source is going to go looking into how they can afford to sell dresses and shoes for lunch money, so I'm gonna say it's best for Marie Clair to keep their distance.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

It is a juvenile look to some degree, but apparently it's pretty popular with a certain demographic. Definitely skews younger, though. And, from my limited Google searching, it looks like it's a pretty popular look on Etsy too. :D

Yeah. I watch Teen Wolf, and this is a popular look. For the show and its young fandom. I'm also sure I've seen Taylor Swift and other starlets in similar outfits. It's been in fashion for some time, for teens and YA. Ashley was on trend and appropriate for Just Fab. Edmond's was just cheaper to produce imo.

• Love 1

From what I've read about their business model, JustFab is inches from a class action lawsuit, and I'm going to guess at some point some news source is going to go looking into how they can afford to sell dresses and shoes for lunch money, so I'm gonna say it's best for Marie Clair to keep their distance.

There is a documentary on NF that talks about "fast fashion."  Which I guess is the business model that JustFab lady was bragging about.  Its pretty awful.

• Love 2

God help me, I loved Kelly's. Would I wear it or buy it? Fuck no. But it had a very distinct look, cohesive design, and was off the wall in a good way. I could totally see a young 20-something wearing the leggings or the crop top, though I dunno about the muppet vest.

I honestly could see Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry wearing it and since "fast fashion" is basically a diffusion of what celebs wear I could then see a certain market of women 18-25 buying it.  To me, it made the outfit.  Otherwise, she had some 80s workout gear.

• Love 2