Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

On 2/2/2017 at 1:00 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I think it was season 2 or 3 where there was a significantly long delay between filming and airing, because they weren't sure they were going to renew the show or not.

Actually that was season 4 that had that long delay, which now seems short compared to season 29.

Meanwhile for the record, season 6 was the previous season that was called in off the bench in an mid-October premiere after another show failed and was cancelled after two airings. Usually the nets these days are waiting for live plus seven and other platform airings/viewer numbers before an early cancellation, so I have to assume with Bill Paxson's death, whatever the TD numbers have been led CBS to believe that show could not be salvaged. I take this as a prelude to 30 getting the greenlight to filming as CBS may yet come up with a longer term scheduling solution.

I reacted on the Media thread. My amended thoughts: 10 p.m. is a crap slot even if you're not watching anything else that night, but we get TAR about a month earlier than scheduled, and maybe -- MAYBE -- we'll get TAR30. Of course, CBS could give Bertram and Elise "ideas" about future editions, and we'll never get back to what made the show great. Not like Phil would wind up homeless, or that a cancellation would give Probst reason to "teabag" him, but I still insist that TAR is better than Survivor, and should be treated in a consistent manner.

• Love 5

It's a horrible time slot but I'm sure I'll be watching. I still Survivor is #1. BB is my summer guilty pleasure and TAR was better back in the day. When they stopped letting them drive and get lost they lost something. LOL!!! I don't think the late time slot is going to help the show with getting better ratings to get a Season 30. That said, I will be watching live. The winners must be thrilled. They finally get payed a year later. YIkes!!

I hate to see this all end with a whimper instead of a bang but yeah I think it's the death knell for The Race. The time slot, also that Tivo's don't pick it up because, like survivor, they have chosen to rename every season. So, people who had dvr's set up won't catch the next season, if they didn't offically name it 'Amazing Race 29' at least it would be "seen" at the thursday timeslot. It doesn't look good. I just hate to go out on the one season they "get cute" on us and once again abandon the cardinal "people with a previous relationship" rule that they have ignored to their peril.

• Love 2

CBS just PR'd out its yearly March mass renewals, and TAR was not among them (it has usually been among them in previous years). They renewed 16 shows, including Survivor and all their usual crime procedurals.  This is certainly not an encouraging sign.

5 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

CBS just PR'd out its yearly March mass renewals, and TAR was not among them (it has usually been among them in previous years). They renewed 16 shows, including Survivor and all their usual crime procedurals.  This is certainly not an encouraging sign.

Apparently the number of seasons is the sticking point. From THR: Also undecided is the schedule going forward for unscripted competition show The Amazing Race, which launches its new season next week in Training Day's time slot with the network said to want to shift to one cycle per year while producers are hoping for two.

Phil thinks it'll get renewed if the ratings are good. From TVGuide: "This is an opportunity for us to go on a new night -- a big night for CBS," Keoghan told TVGuide.com. "People keep asking me, 'Is there going to be 30?' And I say, 'If the audience turns up and they watch the show ... then we'll be back.' It's as simple as that."

FYI: CTV in Canada will mostly stick to the simulcast.  However if you get the CTV Halifax feed through your feed, it will air at 9 PM EDT. 

As for it being in limbo, I guess the good news is CBS still wants to keep the show because it was still garnering some Emmy love (though winning Best Reality show is probably not going to happen anymore.)  And I think it's better to keep the show to one cycle for now because it has become repetitive and the gimmicks actually diminished what made the show so good in the first place.  However I do think TAR original should start looking at the international spinoffs for both destinations and challenges: I think the last season of TAR Canada upped their game.  

• Love 1

The "Blind Date" got overwhelmingly negative comments about the gimmick, so they decide to up the ante and make a complete season comprised of strangers. Hmmmm. I don't remember seeing a single review or comment liking that gimmick, and the people I know personally who watched this show stopped last year. I am the only one out of a group of ten that watched to the end. 

Why do TPTB hate me? I'm taking this personally, even though I am not a Nielsen household. I've decided that TPTB want to break the contracts with the show runners/production company and the best way to do that is to run off the loyal viewers, those of us who have vowed to watch to the bitter end. Last season got nine of them, because it was two seasons too much, but at least last season had people who knew each other. That chemistry can't be created overnight, and you get awkward and uncomfortable viewing, like the "Blind Date" season. Then last year, they were trying to get a younger crowd by doing the "Social Media Influencers" and successfully alienated several longtime viewers, because many of the people didn't come across well; it was too many of the same personality and became grating.

The majority of my posts on PTV lately have been negative, because I apparently do not meet the criteria for what shows want in a viewer. I don't want to give shows a chance anymore, because they cancel them without giving the shows a chance, like Doubt. I realize everyone didn't like that show and it got poor ratings, but I didn't even see an ad for it until the day of the first episode, when I saw Dule Hill and decided to watch. We don't watch television like we used to and many watch online which is counted differently for advertising purposes. Sending someone to discuss the show during daytime talk shows and not bothering to post or air static commercials at a time when most people fast forward through them if possible, pretty much insures lack of viewership.  When you have longtime viewers for shows like this, and decide to "spice up" a working model thereby alienating that audience, and then move it to a time that is no longer family viewing you may as well just cancel it. A family friendly show on a day and time that isn't family friendly. Yeah, that makes sense.

I think it was @Netfoot who said something like, "I've watched every minute of every episode and I will watch until the end!" during one of the trying seasons, and I hope that is true for me, too, but I don't want to hate-watch this show; it was once so great. I don't know if it is Bert and Elise trying to fix things that weren't broken or the network, who is notorious for adjusting things that don't need it, but I wish they would stop. 

1 hour ago, Christina said:

I think it was @Netfoot who said something like, "I've watched every minute of every episode and I will watch until the end!" during one of the trying seasons, and I hope that is true for me, too, but I don't want to hate-watch this show; it was once so great.

I did effectively say this, and I meant it.  I'm not hate-watching, because I still enjoy it, although admittedly not to the same extent as I did, say, season 3. The worst episode of TAR ever, is still better than the best of Survivor.  However, there is one "fix" I can think of, that would be the final nail in the coffin:  If Phil goes, I will be going with him.  So let's hope nobody thinks that might be a good idea!

I don't know if it is Bert and Elise trying to fix things that weren't broken or the network, who is notorious for adjusting things that don't need it, but I wish they would stop.

I wish so too.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the basic premise of the show.  Maybe it could do with a lick of paint -- it is 16 years since the first series, after all.  I'd like to see i) an increase in the prize money to attract more applicants and viewers, ii) the selection of teams based on their potential race performance (as opposed to the chance of their generating anti-social draaama), iii) challenges that are actually challenging instead of the hand-holding and spoon-feeding.

• Love 2

Do you think that part of the problem, at least going forward in the short run, is the fact that now part of the world is kindof "off limits" even moreso to american tourists?  Not even so much what they'd risk in certain countries these days (although that is certainly a consideration), but even getting back into the US may present problems for people who have travelled to certain countries and who knows whether the list of 'suspect' countries will continue to increase.  And even in countries that aren't currently 'banned' there are many countries out there that could have sympathizers that could think attacking an american tv show would be a good idea.  

In other words, is the insurance coverage premiums and other risks involved just making the show too expensive or otherwise problematic?

• Love 1

Thursday at 10pm???  What the hell, CBS?  What a shame they can't find an 8pm time slot for a family friendly show.  10pm will kill it.  Even though I hated the YouTube season and the blind date idea, and really think the perfect strangers concept is horrible, I'll dvr this season and try to enjoy it, for it is likely the last.  It was great fun while it lasted. ?

• Love 2

Anybody know if this season will be available on Amazon? For the last couple of seasons, we've just bought the episodes there and watched because the time is always inconvenient. This season, there is no way we can stay up that late, and our dvr is screwed up and won't record right.

We can finally go back to sweating the ratings every week. Here we go:

Episode 1: 0.9 rating in the demo, and 4.3 mil viewers. Series lows on both counts. It did manage to top ABC and NBC, which both had 0.8 in the demo, but this is not a good start by any stretch of the imagination, since premieres are usually a high point.

• Love 1

I'm just going to grab some popcorn and watch everyone who called for Hunted to be cancelled with a steady 1.3ish and was waiting for TAR to come back. How's it knowing Hunted will likely live on while TAR may be DSW?

Yeah, I'm not sure what it says that they "won" the time slot at least amongst network shows......with a 4.4 and an 0.9. That's some serious eyeball erosion....although, maybe it's still within the margins of what all of network tv is experiencing in 2017. I just don't know if that many people stream TAR to give it that much more of a bump when those number come in.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that we'll see S30....financially it's always going to be cheaper than a scripted drama. I still think they'd like to send it off on a traditional cast or even an allstar cast. TAR does give the network some flexibility if a scripted drama unexpectedly or expectedly bombs after two episodes. But those premiere numbers are pretty bleak, and I'm more pessimistic today than I was yesterday...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

I'm just going to grab some popcorn and watch everyone who called for Hunted to be cancelled with a steady 1.3ish and was waiting for TAR to come back. How's it knowing Hunted will likely live on while TAR may be DSW?

I'm going to try not to get in the gutter with you, since it seems you're so thoroughly pleased that we have to stress about ratings.

But, I will point out that Hunted had a very nice timeslot, 8 pm Wednesday, with a ton of promotion, including getting a sample after the damn AFC championship game. Plus, January and February are much more watched television periods in general, as people stay in for the winter and ratings drop substantially after daylight savings time. Compare that with Race, which has been shuffled from a big press release declaring a Friday late-April premiere, to a very short notice switch to a Thursday 10 pm premiere with minimal fanfare, and maybe that 0.9 premiere isn't that bad after all.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

I'm going to try not to get in the gutter with you, since it seems you're so thoroughly pleased that we have to stress about ratings.

But, I will point out that Hunted had a very nice timeslot, 8 pm Wednesday, with a ton of promotion, including getting a sample after the damn AFC championship game. Plus, January and February are much more watched television periods in general, as people stay in for the winter and ratings drop substantially after daylight savings time. Compare that with Race, which has been shuffled from a big press release declaring a Friday late-April premiere, to a very short notice switch to a Thursday 10 pm premiere with minimal fanfare, and maybe that 0.9 premiere isn't that bad after all.

I'll argue that a spring Thursday timeslot is much better than a Summer Friday timelot. With that said, if TAR is steady it'll get a final season and split a timeslot with Hunted. If it erodes even more it may still get a final season but have a smaller area to cover (North America only? US only?)

Another strike?!? That's how The Mole was revived, only for it to die with no fanfare. Still hate ABC for that. I'm hoping we won't need that in order for TAR to live. Or: "Jeff Probst suffered a freak Botox accident, and he can't be on camera for a year. We can't have Survivor without him . . . what do we plug that gap?"

This caused me to do some Google research on the negotiations. Current contract expires on May 1 and they are nowhere near a deal. Looks very likely.

One thing to keep in mind. The last time there was a writers strike, was the only time before this year, that CBS only ordered one season of TAR. The 07-08 TV season only had TAR12. CBS was so desperate for content in the spring that they brought Big brother back for a winter season. They would have loved to have an extra TAR season ready to air. We'll see if they learned their lesson.

(edited)
7 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

This caused me to do some Google research on the negotiations. Current contract expires on May 1 and they are nowhere near a deal. Looks very likely.

One thing to keep in mind. The last time there was a writers strike, was the only time before this year, that CBS only ordered one season of TAR. The 07-08 TV season only had TAR12. CBS was so desperate for content in the spring that they brought Big brother back for a winter season. They would have loved to have an extra TAR season ready to air. We'll see if they learned their lesson.

Certainly agree a lot. March of last year TAR was renewed for this TV season and hoping to continue the new trend for one cycle renewal. The 2017-18 TV season has Survivor is the only reality show renewed for 2 seasons (35 and 36). TAR30 would be aired for the vacated on-break Survivor time slot between December and February/March schedule as so filming is likely to begin later this month.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
(edited)

Man, this timeslot is really bumming me out... Fridays were bad enough to get used to but I really wonder if anyone will find this season's Race so tucked away on a Thursday. Ugh.

And I'm now thinking that we'll probably get a e30 in a streamed online version like the did with Big Brother this winter. Then it will just fade away...

Edited by Wandering Snark
26 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

Do we know if our launching yet another Middle East war will interrupt TAR tonight?

So far, we lost five minutes. And that's all I'll say on the matter.

Another 0.9 for episode 2. Might be subject to revisions when the final ratings come out, given various news preemptions on the networks. Hell, I almost went to bed at 10:05 as I thought it wasn't going to be on, but glad I stayed a few more minutes. 

Regardless, if the ratings hold, its good to not drop from the premiere. 

(edited)

Locked in at 0.9 for episode 3. Source: showbuzz daily

DVR numbers are out for episode 1, and the 0.9 premiere raised to a 1.6 after 7 days of recorded viewing. Source: tvbythenumbers

Ok numbers. Certainly nothing too memorable, but the fact that it's holding steady is good as potential negotiations continue.

Regarding scheduling, 2 hour episodes are being plugged in place of reruns of their comedies on a couple occasions. CBS's goal is to air as many originals as possible to boost its season average, since TAR is scheduled to run into June. They are hoping an original TAR rates higher than comedy reruns. Should be a good test next week.

Edited by TheRabbi

Update: final ratings have come out and it adjusted down to a 0.8, a new series low.

(for the uninformed, preliminary ratings come about 11 am and include everyone who was watching the channel at that hour. Final ratings come out around 5, and factor in any overruns, preemptions, etc, to determine who was actually watching the show.)

So not great news with a series low. We'll see how it does an hour earlier next week

2 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

Update: final ratings have come out and it adjusted down to a 0.8, a new series low.

(for the uninformed, preliminary ratings come about 11 am and include everyone who was watching the channel at that hour. Final ratings come out around 5, and factor in any overruns, preemptions, etc, to determine who was actually watching the show.)

So not great news with a series low. We'll see how it does an hour earlier next week

At this point it's holding steady and all choices concerning next season will be made after the drop dead date if there is a strike.  Thus if there is a strike expect two seasons of this, survivor, hunted, and big brother.

I hadn't watched the show in quite a while, because Fridays were just not convenient. I am so glad it's been moved. For me, it ultimately doesn't matter if the show continues being made if I can't watch it. Until this season, it might as well have been cancelled. 

9 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I hadn't watched the show in quite a while, because Fridays were just not convenient. I am so glad it's been moved. For me, it ultimately doesn't matter if the show continues being made if I can't watch it. Until this season, it might as well have been cancelled. 

DVR? Stream?

6 hours ago, Skyfall said:

DVR? Stream?

Don't pay for streaming that offers it. If it's not on Netflix, I don't stream it. I am sure as hell not paying for it for one show. The kid dominates the DVR. People  complaining about 10 pm start times  (which doesn't happen here, anyway, since the Central and Mountain time zones don't have the same prime time as the coasts; the show is on at 9 pm here) are free to do so, though. 

They could be casting now because of the looming writers strike. Because it's unscripted, that makes it appealing to CBS.

Deadline: Bubble Watch: Status Report

As for the two unscripted CBS veterans left on the bubble, the Emmy-winning The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss, the expectation is that the reality staples will return in some shape or form based on their pedigree. They also may be needed for plum spots in case there is a writers strike.

The bad news for TAR may be that it has low ratings in its crappy time slot this season, but the good news is that it has won its time slot for all three weeks its been on so far.  I'm a glass half full type of guy so I take this as a win for TAR.

Spoiler

• Love 1