Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

Just wanted to point out that it appears Alexander Rossi and Conor Daly were not recruited.  Conor has been a life-long fan of TAR with Alexander being a casual viewer.  They have talked about having to fit their auditions around their racing schedule, flying back and forth to LA, etc.  Of course, I'm denying it helped that Alexander won the Indy 500 in 2016 when they sent in their application and tapes.

I'm taking a glass half full approach. It's better than blind dates. Better than social media 'celebrities', better than strangers pairing up. 

Every 'normal' season since 14 or 15 has had at least a couple z-list celebrities, and of course we've seen plenty of CBS crossovers. So I'm not thinking it will be that different than the new normal season. I don't watch Survivor or BB so I don't know much about this Jody team, but based on the pre race interview,  it's already better than Brendan and Rachel. 

So bottom line I'm very excited for January 3! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Geenee said:

Certainly not Family Edition thanks to the engrossing spectacle known as the Weavers.

Well at least Family Edition had Mama Paolo who became a major icon of TAR fans everywhere and who STILL is waiting for that clue that will send her to New Zealand.  ("Arizona?  Who wants to go to Arizona?"  You tell 'em, Mama, you tell 'em!).

Yeah you can be a fan of the show and still be a z-lister like the Indy drivers.  They undoubtedly prevented The Bates Motel Team -- Norma & Norman -- from being cast and hopefully Norman offing all the mactors for me.

And no Cody is worse than most.  He is up there with KKKendra in his dislike of "others" especially those who are gay and especially transgender.  Also any woman of his who talks to other men.  I read the cesspool accounts of the live feeds from BB and I weep that TAR has him on because he and the girl he hooked up with there and "did it" in front of live viewers were spun into some silly Romeo & Juliet story.  And we will hear how he is a "heroic" marine every other leg too.  I have had enough of that crap with Ben on this season of Survivor.  I'm sure if they do well he will be carefully edited to be all "positive" too.  He was on the broadcast version of BB which was 180 degrees out of phase with the unedited live feeds.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

The eight semi-celebrity teams on TAR30 makes me flash back to TAR27, which is one of only seven of the first 29 TARS that I disliked so much that I will never own them on DVD.  But on the plus side:

1)  I watched the last season of Big Brother and liked Cody and Jessica.  I found the charges that Cody was a bigot and anti-gay to be totally unwarranted.  Both of them are smart and athletic and will probably make a very strong team.

2)  The Indy car drivers sound like they will be a team to route for.  Hopefully they will do better than the Indy car racers on American Ninja Warrior, who have basically bombed.

3)  There is more geographically diversity among the contestants.  We aren't overrun by contestants from California and the Eastern Seaboard as in many past TARS.

4) There are 2 1/2 teams with ties to my home state, which is 1 1/2 more teams than ever before.

5) Hopefully, I will finally find out what goat yoga is.

2 hours ago, shortsummers said:

The eight semi-celebrity teams on TAR30 makes me flash back to TAR27, which is one of only seven of the first 29 TARS that I disliked so much that I will never own them on DVD.  But on the plus side:

1)  I watched the last season of Big Brother and liked Cody and Jessica.  I found the charges that Cody was a bigot and anti-gay to be totally unwarranted.  Both of them are smart and athletic and will probably make a very strong team. ...

They weren't "charges" made by other people.  They were bigoted words out of his own mouth and recorded on the live feeds.  For example he stated that he wanted all transgender people banned from the military before a certain other person wanted them banned.  He despises them and uses the term for them that they find the equivalent of the N word.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, green said:

They weren't "charges" made by other people.  They were bigoted words out of his own mouth and recorded on the live feeds.  For example he stated that he wanted all transgender people banned from the military before a certain other person wanted them banned.  He despises them and uses the term for them that they find the equivalent of the N word.

Taking this over to the Cody/Jessica thread. 

• Love 1

I wonder if the repeat viewings for previous seasons on streaming services factor into the prestige/ratings for the show at all. I got into the show relatively late (around season 21) and I got my relatives to start watching just a few months ago. I'm really grateful to have access to all these past episodes on Amazon, and I hope they add the remaining ones soon. My personal favorite was season 26 (Blair Townsend is my husband, he just doesn't know it yet), despite being in the minority opinion here.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:19 PM, Roccos Brother said:

I wonder if the repeat viewings for previous seasons on streaming services factor into the prestige/ratings for the show at all. I got into the show relatively late (around season 21) and I got my relatives to start watching just a few months ago. I'm really grateful to have access to all these past episodes on Amazon, and I hope they add the remaining ones soon. My personal favorite was season 26 (Blair Townsend is my husband, he just doesn't know it yet), despite being in the minority opinion here.

Absolutely it does. All these streaming services license the show for a set amount of time. The more that watch it, the more lucrative it will be when it comes time to re-up the agreement. It could absolutely be a factor in longevity. 

Streaming is the one avenue, along with DVD sales, where your viewership actually counts, unless you're among the chosen few in a Nielsen household. So keep on streaming!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Geenee said:

Good news: it's available on DVD.

I can't remember the last time I purchased media entertainment in a physical form. I need to see my beautiful husband in HD. It's okay. I can wait, just like I've been waiting for him to show up from the Monaco roadblock with the flowers and chocolate meant for me.

@Geenee Thanks for posting the schedule for CTV, as I was actually shocked it was not simulcasting it with CBS this year in favour of the X-Files.  But I don't think that schedule is great either considering CBC will be live with their Olympic coverage (it will be 11 AM in South Korea and I plan to give up allll of my TV shows for this.) 

Good thing I get CBS and ABC/Fox shows will fall on my Excel sheet on what to PVR on both boxes. 

• Love 1

I'm happy for TAR 30 doing well for the premiere. I think they actually have it in a good timeslot. A weekday always gets better ratings than a weekend, even a Sunday night (unless it's sports-related, I guess?), and Wednesdays aren't quite as busy as a week night like Tuesday or Thursday. Plus, Mondays usually have other reality TV shows. Wednesdays have done well for Survivor, from what I understand (not a Survivor fan anymore), so I think the timeslot is perfect. 

At least, in regards to someone like me, who watches a lot of TV, I only have one other show I watch on Wednesdays (Riverdale) and since I don't get the channel anymore in Canada to watch it, I simply watch that show on Netflix later on. I've definitely looked for something to fill up my Wednesday nights. 

• Love 2

I think it helped putting the Amazing Race in Survivor's time slot as those of us who enjoy both Survivor and the Amazing Race would already be used to watching an 8:00 reality show on CBS.  The Sunday night time slot the Amazing Race used to have was really bad as the football game would usually push the start times of the CBS evening shows back to the point that my DVR would pick up very little of the Race.  The Friday night slot might have been a bit better (but it was up against Shark Tank which would have a similar audience), but this Wednesday slot may really help the ratings and keep the Race on the air after this season.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Frankly those ratings are incredible! CBS gets big props for realizing Cody/Jess are their next Brenchel but loses point for only one cycle this year!

Cody had nothing to do with the ratings.  The Amazing Race moving into Survivor's slot has everything to do with it.  That and it has become my lead-in to Vikings at 9 PM now that Survivor is done.

And if any "celebs" (God I hate that term) had a pull to bring people in it would be the two NBA players because NBA ratings are about a million times higher than BB.  But I doubt that they brought over any basketball fans just to see them Race either.  There is no cross-over.  It is all a myth.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, green said:

Cody had nothing to do with the ratings.  The Amazing Race moving into Survivor's slot has everything to do with it.  That and it has become my lead-in to Vikings at 9 PM now that Survivor is done.

And if any "celebs" (God I hate that term) had a pull to bring people in it would be the two NBA players because NBA ratings are about a million times higher than BB.  But I doubt that they brought over any basketball fans just to see them Race either.  There is no cross-over.  It is all a myth.

Sorry but the very fact they were brought on to the race and not BIG BROTHER golden child Paul is testament to their popularity and CBS knowing certain viewers are going to be more inclined to tune in to see their continued adventures/romance. I'm not saying it was the ONLY reason the ratings has spiked but it certainly was a cherry on top. I'm just happy that this likely will silence the cancellation bells that were tolling.

• Love 2

I'm delighted that the ratings were as good as the timeslot. I do think the network will want to see what happens when the show has competition from fresh programming, and then -- will it retain a measurable core audience against the Olympics? 

• Love 1
(edited)

It certainly can't hurt. Live television can only contribute to ratings if you are a Nielsen viewer. But online viewing of anything is easily tracked by the networks. 

Poor viewer numbers for insider videos might be disheartening, but is very low in the list of things that will determine the show's fate. If there's no interest then that might just cut down online bonuses in the future (similar to how Elimination Station was axed). But show ratings are far more important. 

Edited by TheRabbi

They would at least attempt another fast airing next season in the Jan-Feb time slot.  It’s cheaper and it fills the void until Survivor airs. In theory, they could  do a two cycle season. One in Jan-Feb and the other in the summer in June, July & August. Both still airing on Wednesday’s.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

They would at least attempt another fast airing next season in the Jan-Feb time slot.  It’s cheaper and it fills the void until Survivor airs. In theory, they could  do a two cycle season. One in Jan-Feb and the other in the summer in June, July & August. Both still airing on Wednesday’s.

It is okay TAR in one cycle per season its now use in recent years as its the place of Survivor seasons during midseason.

On 1/1/2018 at 7:07 PM, mtlchick said:

my Excel sheet on what to PVR on both boxes. 

I do that too!

On 1/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, TheRabbi said:

It certainly can't hurt. Live television can only contribute to ratings if you are a Nielsen viewer. But online viewing of anything is easily tracked by the networks.

There was an article on why Nielsen ratings are counted about 100 times more than DVR or streaming views -- it basically comes down to ads viewed.

14 hours ago, Geenee said:

In practice, they would be unable to do the latter because BB's current season will be airing during those months.

Is it not possible for TAR and BB to air during the same time period? That will be exactly what is happening this coming February. TAR could absolutely air in the summer if CBS wanted it to. The last time TAR aired during the summer was TAR5, airing with BB on the same night.

1 hour ago, Geenee said:

The first point is incorrect because the original British editions prove that Celebrity BB =/= Civilian BB.

The second point is highly unlikely given its predication upon a string of events needing to occur in rapid fashion: renewal for S31 (if instead of when), casting and filming during the spring, and editing in time to syncopate with BB20. It's telling that nearly a decade-and-a-half has passed without such a thing ever happening again.

That would be incorrect. Renewal for S31 will be likely around May and filming may be commenced around early (or mid) fall 2018 in order to trend the one TAR-cycle in single TV season per year.

8 hours ago, Geenee said:

The first point is incorrect because the original British editions prove that Celebrity BB =/= Civilian BB.

The second point is highly unlikely given its predication upon a string of events needing to occur in rapid fashion: renewal for S31 (if instead of when), casting and filming during the spring, and editing in time to syncopate with BB20. It's telling that nearly a decade-and-a-half has passed without such a thing ever happening again.

The original post that suggested this from byanose was saying it could start next year. I'm well aware that it's too late to get TAR31 for this summer, but it certainly is an option that CBS could consider in the future. There's no reason why TAR and BB couldn't air in the same season.

(edited)
On 1/7/2018 at 7:59 AM, ByaNose said:

They would at least attempt another fast airing next season in the Jan-Feb time slot. It’s cheaper and it fills the void until Survivor airs. In theory, they could  do a two cycle season. One in Jan-Feb and the other in the summer in June, July & August. Both still airing on Wednesday’s.

Pretty directly referencing next year. 

Not saying it will happen, just saying it's an option. Saying TAR can't air in the summer just because BB is there is just incorrect. 

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1

1.4 rating for episode 2 (per showbuzz daily of course).

Still a good result. Slight drops from premieres are expected. Hopefully it stabilizes. It still was close to the top of the night, as only The Goldbergs and 911 (1.5) and Modern family (1.6) rated higher.

(edited)

1.5 rating for episode 3. Up a tick from last week. Pretty good result. We'll see how the 2 hour does next week. Good results so far!

(Per showbuzz daily)

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1

Ratings alone sould be a given for a renewal. That said, it was also doubled up to fill space for January & February. They may already made up their mind that Season 30 would be the last but even they may have been suprised by the good ratings.

(edited)

I agree the ratings easily justify renewal. It's in CBS's top 5 for the week. Yes, it will drop a bit against the Olympics, but CBS knows that. That's why they're throwing cheap, durable reality franchises against the Olympics rather than more fragile and expensive dramas. Going into the season I was bracing for this to be the swan song, but now I'll be surprised and a bit angry if it's not renewed. The show has earned it.

Edited by TheRabbi
7 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

I agree the ratings easily justify renewal. It's in CBS's top 5 for the week. Yes, it will drop a bit against the Olympics, but CBS knows that. That's why they're throwing cheap, durable reality franchises against the Olympics rather than more fragile and expensive dramas. Going into the season I was bracing for this to be the swan song, but now I'll be surprised and a bit angry if it's not renewed. The show has earned it.

Once again, my hope is that CBS would see TAR as worthy of renewal. Two seasons/cycles would be good, though I'll understand if we get the single edition. And yes, I'm concerned CBS pulled the plug. I realize that thirty seasons is far better than the raw deal ABC gave The Mole (five seasons total, two "celebrity" editions, exiled to crap time slots), but I'm still prepared to be very, very upset.

1.3 rating for episode 4. 1.1 for episode 5. Definitely a downturn, which is a bit disappointing since there wasn't any real competition last night.  We'll see if the return to a 1 hour episode helps next week. Maybe folks don't like having to watch 2 hours.

Source: showbuzz daily 

In case you didn't see my post on the Media thread: Phil is optimistic on TAR's future. While I realize that he might have to say that because he's heavily involved, it's nice to get hope that TAR fans can get back to the "normal" status quo of two editions per nine-month season. Also, Phil acknowledges the fans. Thankfully, he doesn't say anything about hearing stuff/encouragement "from the street." Probst.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

1.3 rating for episode 4. 1.1 for episode 5. Definitely a downturn, which is a bit disappointing since there wasn't any real competition last night.  We'll see if the return to a 1 hour episode helps next week. Maybe folks don't like having to watch 2 hours.

Source: showbuzz daily 

I thought I was ready for 2 hours but I'm fine with 1 hour. Maybe, because it has to do with the stupid head to head. Some like it and others don't. I'm hoping they are done with that. I haven't heard the over/under with the head to head. Does anyone want more of it? Do we think they are done with it? Overall, I am surprised that the ratings were down.

Edited by ByaNose

Checking this week's schedule, I am annoyed that Celebrity Big Brother is causing the Race to move to 9pm.  I finally get the Race at 8 pm where I like it, and it didn't last long in that spot.

• Love 2

It dropped a little week to week. It did a 1.2 rating at 9 and a 1.0 rating at 10. That's down from a 1.3 rating the prior week. Celebrity BB did a 1.8 (slightly better than any TAR airing so far, but it came back to earth on the second night).

I'm curious to see how much of a drop will happen against the Olympics the next 2 weeks. At this point, I don't think big drops will hurt us, since the audience has established itself and CBS knows the Olympics are substantial competition.  But if it can hang close to where it was, that's an even bigger vote of confidence for audience loyalty. We shall see.