Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

0.9 for hour one. 0.8 for the finale hour two. This is the same as last week.

Just my opinion, that I already established before, but I don't think poor ratings these past 2 weeks hurts that much. The show did fine at 8 pm, which CBS clearly had to take note of, and had substantial competition in the Olympics for the final 2 weeks. I think CBS will base their decisions off the January numbers. But we will see soon enough, they usually announce their first batch of renewals in early March. Last year we were held out of that as s29 hadn't even started yet, but now they have all the data.

• Love 3
(edited)

Nothing official yet, but the casting page has updated to reflect a race traveling between May 30th and June 30th 2018, after still being last October's race up until this week. With CBS likely announcing the bulk of their renewals in the next couple weeks (Always happens in March), this could mean they've been given the go-ahead and they just don't announce it until all renewals are announced at once. Just speculation of course, but certainly not bad news.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 3
(edited)

In case you didn’t hear, TAR isn’t on the fall schedule, but it seems certain to air midseason. And If this is the reality of TAR31, I might not even watch. If you can’t read the link or don’t want to click, I’ll boil it down to a brief headline: “CBS TO ‘RACE’ FANS: FUCK YOU!!!”

I know that I often make mountains from molehills. I think I’m justified here.

Edited because an iPad isn’t always the best thing to vent with . . . hence the typos.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Lantern7, Kindle isn't any better.

Anyhow, there appears to have been word from the casting folks for TAR 32 with a "final" selection of cast in July and filming in November.

if the supposition is correct that TAR 31 won't air until Celebrity BB 2 this winter, we may have the rarity of 2 seasons in the can at the same time. Could be CBS may need TAR 31 in cases fall series fails, as has happened in the past, or CBS is headed towards a cycle of Survivor-TAR-Survivor-TAR for the Wednesday 8pm time slot, which I could live with.

• Love 3

Wow. Thanks for the news, @theschnauzers. Of course, now I might have to go through the “Will CBS fuck this up?” thought process all over again. Without spoiling casting details, I can say that the lineup for TAR31 wound up being acceptable, even with the gimmicks.

• Love 1

This is good for TAR. It can’t hurt to follow Survivor in its last month. I’m not really sure who I’m picking to,win though. Just because you’re good at one show doesn’t mean you’ll be on another show. It will be interesting nevertheless. I miss the race and I’m happy my reality fix will now be two hours late JG on Wednesday’s. 

• Love 1

Will be interesting to see what this means for TAR32. Theoretically, the earlier start date means they have the option of airing right through the summer and still finishing before the fall shows come back. Or maybe 32 could air this fall? Hopefully it at least airs in 2019.

• Love 2

I thought it was on Tuesday. Looks like I'll be DVRing The Challenge, which . . . it's for the best. I like ranking on it, I like watching it "live" while posting on a Facebook group, but TAR takes priority.

• Love 1

While I prefer straight forward Amazing Race I’ll take what I can get. I’m curious who will work with each other and who are the real friends are. The Reality world is (kinda) big but they have their cliques. In fact, the Survivor people were considered heads above TAR and certainly BB but it’s more blurred now. I’m really happy it’s coming back so “soon” instead of next month. That said, they finished this 10 months ago. The winners must be dying for their paychecks. 

• Love 3
(edited)

By the time when the new season premieres on April 17, it will be four episodes at the 9 pm time slot until May 8. Once Survivor ends its 38th season, it may be expanded to 2 hours from May 22 until its finale to be scheduled for June 12.

Spoiler

Scheduled episode dates for TAR 31

• April 17 (Episode 1, Japan)
  • April 24 (Episode 2, Laos)
  • May 1 (Episode 3, Laos/Vietnam)
  • May 8 (Episode 4, Vietnam)
  • May 22 (Episode 5, United Arab Emirates)
  • May 22 (Episode 6, Uganda)
  • May 29 (Episode 7, Switzerland)
  • May 29 (Episode 8, Austria)
  • June 5 (Episode 9, Croatia)
  • June 5 (Episode 10, The Netherlands)
  • June 12 (Episode 11, England, UK)
  • June 12 (Finale, Detroit, Michigan)
Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Love 3
(edited)

Premiere garnered a 1.2 rating in the demo. For reference, Survivor got a 1.5. Season 30's premiere last year got a 1.6. All things considered I think it's an ok result.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1

There’s no confirmation of the show using two episodes a week after Survivor ends, an hour a week would still have this season end in early July.

Ratings. I did see something via a Google alert that TAR’s line plus 3 which includes everything shows TAR picked op 33% in the demo and total viewers. So the numbers for the premiere actual were in TAR 30’s range.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, TheRabbi said:

Episode 2 gets a 1.0 rating, down a tick from the premiere which is pretty standard. Still a decent result all things considered IMO

I visit a site devoted to The Challenge, and that includes ratings. I never read those, but now I'm curious to see how it holds up to TAR. Apparently, this week's tally was 883K. I know there's probably a different in gauges between network and cable, but both shows are in the same slot, and MTV doesn't rerun the hell out of it like it used. to. My concern is that TAR wouldn't be as good in terms of ratings. That series comes on whenever CBS feels like airing it. Meanwhile, The Challenge is a staple on MTV, filled with tragedies dressed as human beings. The good news about the current season is that the imported cast wouldn't be elligible to run on TAR because they're not American. So far, the only ex-Challenge to be on TAR is Victor, and that's one guy too many.

PS: If TAR goes to Turkey, and they bring out Turbo as a greeter? Wouldn't be a bad thing. The dude is a straight-up phenom, and you don't feel guilty watching him.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, theschnauzers said:

Ratings. I did see something via a Google alert that TAR’s line plus 3 which includes everything shows TAR picked op 33% in the demo and total viewers. So the numbers for the premiere actual were in TAR 30’s range.

This is such flawed logic though. That live plus 3 bump puts 31's premiere in the range of 30's same day premiere rating.  But 30 had a similar plus 3 bump, so 31's premiere was still down. I still think 31 did ok in the premiere ratings  but it was definitely down.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2019 at 11:44 PM, Lantern7 said:

I visit a site devoted to The Challenge, and that includes ratings. I never read those, but now I'm curious to see how it holds up to TAR. Apparently, this week's tally was 883K. I know there's probably a different in gauges between network and cable, but both shows are in the same slot, and MTV doesn't rerun the hell out of it like it used. to. My concern is that TAR wouldn't be as good in terms of ratings. That series comes on whenever CBS feels like airing it. Meanwhile, The Challenge is a staple on MTV, filled with tragedies dressed as human beings. The good news about the current season is that the imported cast wouldn't be elligible to run on TAR because they're not American. So far, the only ex-Challenge to be on TAR is Victor, and that's one guy too many.

PS: If TAR goes to Turkey, and they bring out Turbo as a greeter? Wouldn't be a bad thing. The dude is a straight-up phenom, and you don't feel guilty watching him.

I'm just praying that CBS won't draw from the MTV casting pool, because I can think of a few BB vets who will jump at the chance to move back to CBS if that happens, including what has to be the most cringeworthy current reality TV showmance.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:14 PM, ApprenticeFan said:

By the time when the new season premieres on April 17, it will be four episodes at the 9 pm time slot until May 8. Once Survivor ends its 38th season, it may be expanded to 2 hours from May 22 until its finale to be scheduled for June 12.

Reveal spoiler

• April 17 (Episode 1, Japan)
  • April 24 (Episode 2, Laos)
  • May 1 (Episode 3, Laos/Vietnam)
  • May 8 (Episode 4, Vietnam)
  • May 22 (Episode 5, United Arab Emirates)
  • May 22 (Episode 6, Uganda)
  • May 29 (Episode 7, Switzerland)
  • May 29 (Episode 8, Austria)
  • June 5 (Episode 9, Croatia)
  • June 5 (Episode 10, The Netherlands)
  • June 12 (Episode 11, England, UK)
  • June 12 (Finale, Detroit, Michigan)

Repost:

Spoiler

April 17 (Episode 1, Japan)

April 24 (Episode 2, Laos)

May 1 (Episode 3, Vietnam)

May 8 (Episode 4, Vietnam)

May 22 (Episode 5, United Arab Emirates) show will move at 8 pm for the rest of the season

May 22 (Episode 6, Uganda)

May 29 (Episode 7, Switzerland)

May 29 (Episode 8, Switzerland)

June 5 (Episode 9, Croatia)

June 5 (Episode 10, The Netherlands)

June 12 (Episode 11, England, UK)

June 12 (Finale, Detroit, Michigan)

Down a tick to a 0.9 rating last night. I'm more curious now to see how it does away from Survivor at the end of May and into June, to see if it can stay steady. 

• Love 1

Before I forget to ask: will the Survivor finale be held on a Wednesday? I'm guessing that Sundays have been out of the question for some time. I'd be good with a TAR break then, because Survivor and Probst's boner and all that.

Another plus The Challenge: War of the Worlds is wrapping up on MTV. I don't know how to measure their ratings with TAR. Honestly, I get the appeal of WotW, even with piles of garbage disguised as people.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

will the Survivor finale be held on a Wednesday?

Yes, May 15th, so I assume no Race that night (since it's usually the whole night).

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 5:27 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

Repost:

Reveal spoiler

Repost for today that CBS has recently given a final scheduling for TAR 31:

Spoiler

April 17 (Episode 1)

April 24 (Episode 2)

May 1 (Episode 3)

May 8 (Episode 4)

May 22 (Episode 5) show will move at 8 pm for a week that there will be no episode for May 15 due to Survivor finale

May 22 (Episode 6) second part of two-part episode

May 29 (Episode 7) one hour episode at 8 pm

June 5 (Episode 8 ) two hour episode

June 5 (Episode 9) second part of two-part episode

June 12 (Episode 10)

June 19 (Episode 11) two hour finale

June 19 (Finale) 

Edited by ApprenticeFan
remove locations in this post
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 10:54 PM, ApprenticeFan said:

Repost for today that CBS has recently given a final scheduling for TAR 31:

Reveal spoiler

April 17 (Episode 1, Japan)

April 24 (Episode 2, Laos)

May 1 (Episode 3, Vietnam)

May 8 (Episode 4, Vietnam)

May 22 (Episode 5, United Arab Emirates) show will move at 8 pm for a week that there will be no episode for May 15 due to Survivor finale

May 22 (Episode 6, Uganda) second part of two-part episode

May 29 (Episode 7, Switzerland) one hour episode at 8 pm

June 5 (Episode 8, Switzerland) two hour episode

June 5 (Episode 9, Croatia) second part of two-part episode

June 12 (Episode 10, The Netherlands)

June 19 (Episode 11, England, UK) two hour finale

June 19 (Finale, Detroit, Michigan) 

There is a confirmed 2 hour episode on May 22, but no evidence of any 2 hour episodes beyond that. Certainly no 'final scheduling' given, although if you have a source, I am happy to eat crow. You should also remove the locations, since this is a ratings and scheduling thread, and not a spoiler thread.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1
(edited)

Apparently, this is the week networks announce their plans for the fall. I'm guessing TAR wouldn't be locked in, though I believe TAR32 has already been filmed. Once again: I get irked that TAR gets shuffled around by CBS, while the network's lesser reality series (IMO, YMMV) are always locked into place.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
On 5/13/2019 at 11:49 AM, Lantern7 said:

Apparently, this is the week networks announce their plans for the fall. I'm guessing TAR wouldn't be locked in, though I believe TAR32 has already been filmed. Once again: I get irked that TAR gets shuffled around by CBS, while the network's lesser reality series (IMO, YMMV) are always locked into place.

Correct. CBS just announced their fall schedule and new series for the 2019-2020 season. TAR was unfortunately never mentioned, so we'll likely be buried somewhere in midseason again, either early 2020 or a slot like we have now. Just imagine those TAR 32 winners having to sit on it after it filmed in November 2018!

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

Correct. CBS just announced their fall schedule and new series for the 2019-2020 season. TAR was unfortunately never mentioned, so we'll likely be buried somewhere in midseason again, either early 2020 or a slot like we have now. Just imagine those TAR 32 winners having to sit on it after it filmed in November 2018!

Way to look out for us, CBS. 🙄

I interviewed Dorothy from the second season of The Mole in August 2002. The season kicked off in October 2001, but was shelved after three episodes, and ABC didn't bring it back until Summer 2002. She had to wait for the better part of a year to get $636K for winning . . . and when I interviewed her, she still hadn't gotten it. It's been almost two decades, so I don't know if people have to wait x amount of time after a season airs to collect winnings.

Can't wait to hear what exciting format awaits us for the next season of Survivor! TAR has had questionable themes, but Survivor seldom makes good with those. #BitterCakes

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
On 5/15/2019 at 9:28 PM, TheRabbi said:

TAR 32 will be more likely in midseason schedule to air around New Year's Day 2020, that will be Wednesday.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cbs-announces-plans-for-2019-20-season-schedule/

• Love 1

TAR has always been the "easy" show to slot in when needed. They wait for a show to tank and then put in TAR. It sucks for the racers and the viewers. If it wasn't for the Million Dollar Mile tanking TAR would have just started airing on May 22nd. I'm guessing the current season will end in June. After that, who knows when the next installment will air. A show with a lot of Emmy's sure gets screwed around a lot.

• Love 3

0.8 rating last night. Last week was 0.9 and 0.7 for the 2 hours. Seeing as we are now in the summer TV lull, I'd say it's still doing pretty good. 

As for scheduling, it appears we have 1 hour episodes in June with a 2 hour finale on 6/26.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Press Your Luck beat TAR. 

That's a discouraging sentence . . . until you remember that overstuffed primetime game show revivals are the norm these days. "Shit, I can't believe Celebrity Classic Concentration beat my show in the ratings!" "Sorry, I was busy bingeing Scrabble. No, not based on the board game., The one with the best-of-5 games and the plunger."

A strong finish next week would be nice, especially if we get TAR32 earlier because of it, even if the difference is a mere few weeks.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That's a discouraging sentence . . . until you remember that overstuffed primetime game show revivals are the norm these days. "Shit, I can't believe Celebrity Classic Concentration beat my show in the ratings!" "Sorry, I was busy bingeing Scrabble. No, not based on the board game., The one with the best-of-5 games and the plunger."

A strong finish next week would be nice, especially if we get TAR32 earlier because of it, even if the difference is a mere few weeks.

What's the over/under on TAR32? Has it already been filmed? I think they were renewed but I can't recall if Season 32 was finished or not.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

What's the over/under on TAR32? Has it already been filmed? I think they were renewed but I can't recall if Season 32 was finished or not.

From what I’ve heard, it’s already been cast and filmed. It’s a question of “when,” not “if.”

(edited)

I want to say it filmed last fall?  

FWIW, they were doing auditions in my area for TAR33 not too far back.  I know that auditions doesn't mean anything, but maybe a hopeful sign at least that it'll live to see another season.

Edited by LadyChatts
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

From what I’ve heard, it’s already been cast and filmed. It’s a question of “when,” not “if.”

Thanks. TAR is hard to keep track of compared to Survivor with their filming & airing. 

TAR 32 was filmed earlier this year. Filming was confirmed by Phil, Elise, and Bertram on social media and in interviews and podcasts.

Applications for casting is underway, and one of those who are involved in casting (a past TAR racer who ran in season 8 ) has indicated the selection process will take place in the autumn. Filming won’t happen until after Bertram and Elise complete filming a new competition show for National Geographic channel.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

TAR 32 was filmed earlier this year. Filming was confirmed by Phil, Elise, and Bertram on social media and in interviews and podcasts.

Applications for casting is underway, and one of those who are involved in casting (a past TAR racer who ran in season 8 ) has indicated the selection process will take place in the autumn. Filming won’t happen until after Bertram and Elise complete filming a new competition show for National Geographic channel.

Thanks but what TAR8 Racer?  The only one I liked was Mama Paulo.

Also what new show of NatGeo?

(edited)
2 hours ago, green said:
18 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Read more  

Thanks but what TAR8 Racer?  The only one I liked was Mama Paulo.

Also what new show of NatGeo?

Race to the Center of the Earth, which National Geographic announced this week. It’s currently casting for four teams of three to film in the October-November time frame. It has elements of the old NBC reality competition show Lost, where teams started at widely dispersed location around the world, and the Mark Burnett Eco-Challenge format with teams traveling across varied terrain. Teams of three is a new twist.

Jody. She’s been involved in reality competition casting for a few years now.

And if it wasn’t clear TAR is accepting applications for TAR 33 at the moment.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Race to the Center of the Earth, which National Geographic announced this week. It’s currently casting for four teams of three to film in the October-November time frame. It has elements of the old NBC reality competition show Lost, where teams started at widely dispersed location around the world, and the Mark Burnett Eco-Challenge format with teams traveling across varied terrain. Teams of three is a new twist.

Jody. She’s been involved in reality competition casting for a few years now.

And if it wasn’t clear TAR is accepting applications for TAR 33 at the moment.

I remember both of those shows.  Sounds interesting.

I don't however remember any Jody on TAR8 but like I said it it isn't Mama Paulo (and family) -- our beloved Lady of the Lasagna -- the rest were either totally forgettable or that crazy woman and her 3 kids from Florida.

(edited)

I don't remember a Jody, either (it's not Jody from S14 is it?  One half of the flight attendants?)  I know she does casting I think for all 3 CBS reality shows.  

I remember both those shows, too.  I only watched a couple of seasons of Eco Challenge, but it was kind of cool.  I really enjoyed Lost.

@green I had always hoped Mama Paolo would come back and race with DJ.  Maybe she'd get to go to New Zealand instead of Phoenix this time.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
(edited)
48 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

@green I had always hoped Mama Paolo would come back and race with DJ.  Maybe she'd get to go to New Zealand instead of Phoenix this time.

Me too.  Me too a hundred times over.  She is one of my all time favorites.

They started making Mama Paulo funny tribute posters during that season over on the TAR sub-forum of Survivor Sucks back before that site went to hell.  And her younger son, Brian I think it was (the sweet, quiet one anyway, not DJ), was reading about their season online and saw them and download them and had them printed up professionally and surprised his mom with them. 

Stuff like the Goddess of Lasagna and photo-shopping her into past seasons with some of the earlier famous Racers etc.  Some of them were really clever and extremely well done with funny captions as well.  I should have saved them to my computer but didn't, sigh.

Anyway Brian posted there and told us what he did and how much his mom was moved by all of it and loved and appreciated all of them.  They got framed and hung up in the house by a grateful and blown-away Mama P.

So come on, TAR. Get Mama to New Zealand like she dreamed of.  If not back on the Race itself at least as maybe playing "a lost American tourist in NZ" that teams have to help get somewhere in some task say.

Edited by green
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'd rather see her race with Brian, because I never liked the way DJ acted so disrespectful to her