Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

The late time slot is a killer for me. I want this on Friday or Sunday at 8pm. It will help the ratings. Can someone please make this happen? Thank you.

TAR didn't work that well on Sundays, though you could probably blame the sports-caused delays for that. On another network, the show would've run at 8. On CBS, they had to broadcast all of 60 Minutes, which I understand completely. It was just frustrating to get to TARCon at 7, see that the Packers were annihilating the Raiders, and that the fourth quarter was just getting started.

I'm guessing Friday nights weren't a good fit, either, since CBS decided to go to the Show Cemetery and dig up MacGyver. Of course, that worked out well for CBS, as did sitcoms with Kevin James and Matt Le Blanc.

Once again: given that Survivor is hit-or-miss with recycled players and locales, and Big Brother is still Big Brother, I would be very upset if TAR walks the plank. I know CBS is promoting it, and I'm still pissed that ABC didn't do that for The Mole, but I'm still ready to throttle somebody.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing Friday nights weren't a good fit, either

Could be that CBS were struggling to find a new home for TAR since MacGuyver made for a more natural lead-in to Hawaii 5-0, but the time slot is a killer. My 7-year old really got into the show last season and it was nice to watch one of my all time favourite shows with him.

At 11pm Bermuda time, it's now a no-go, maybe we'll catch it online on another date, but that's a more difficult task when you live outside the US or Canada.

I've been trying to interest CBS in a Reality Hour/Night for what seems to be forever.  Wed at 8pm would be ideal.  What I would like to see is alternating Survivor seasons with TAR seasons  -- two of each per year.

Also not helping chances, the looming writers strike was averted with an eleventh hour deal in the wee hours of the morning, a few minutes after the strike deadline. TAR would have been an easy plug-in to the fall schedule if there was no new television getting written. Instead, we'll have to sweat it out.

We will know at some point In the next 2 weeks, as CBS has their upfront presentation revealing their 2017-18 lineup

1 hour ago, TheRabbi said:

Also not helping chances, the looming writers strike was averted with an eleventh hour deal in the wee hours of the morning, a few minutes after the strike deadline. TAR would have been an easy plug-in to the fall schedule if there was no new television getting written. Instead, we'll have to sweat it out.

We will know at some point In the next 2 weeks, as CBS has their upfront presentation revealing their 2017-18 lineup

It was after deadline so wouldn't that be 13th hour? ;)

• Love 2

The (possible) writers strike was gonna work in their favor. Now, The Amazing Race is going to have to earn their spot for next season. This could be the final race. It's too bad. The Perfect Strangers season is actually pretty good. I'd still prefer the normal pre existing racers but I'm not hating this season. LOL!!! I wonder when we'll hear a yay or nay for next season?

12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The (possible) writers strike was gonna work in their favor. Now, The Amazing Race is going to have to earn their spot for next season. This could be the final race. It's too bad. The Perfect Strangers season is actually pretty good. I'd still prefer the normal pre existing racers but I'm not hating this season. LOL!!! I wonder when we'll hear a yay or nay for next season?

Whether CBS may decide that TAR will be renewed or not as on the show's fate. The producers still have a chance for a renewal up until before the 2017-18 schedule announcement by 2 weeks time.

(edited)
On 5/3/2017 at 11:40 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

Whether CBS may decide that TAR will be renewed or not as on the show's fate. The producers still have a chance for a renewal up until before the 2017-18 schedule announcement by 2 weeks time.

Not 100% true. They could wait until the season ends if it's not going to be on the fall schedule.

Edited by Skyfall

but that  was just first run viewers, yesterday Phil said on facebook chat that a lot of people watch on the weekend on demand. apparently they miss the Sunday night aspect.  Not sure but I think if you dvr or on demand it might have to be in the first 24 hours  watching that counts. 

The dvr numbers are ok. The 2 hour episode 2 weeks ago increased to a 1.5 rating after 7 days of viewing. The show is still down year to year even with dvr factored in. But it could be doing worse. I'm cautiously optimistic.

If they are going to film a new season won't they have to get started almost immediately?  I hope TPTB have a plan and all the production details underway so they can move quickly.

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

If they are going to film a new season won't they have to get started almost immediately?  I hope TPTB have a plan and all the production details underway so they can move quickly.

In theory, they would do it in June-July for a September start. If it's renewed but coming back as a mid season replacement it would obviously be later like August-September. IMO!!

But surely by now they'd have to have a route planned, travel arrangements made, tasks set up in each location, and a cast chosen in anticipation of running the race in a couple months. That's a big monetary investment by the producers. 

Just so there isn't a repeat of "they didn't advertise a 2H episode/yes they did"... on May 18th (not this week, the week after) there is a 2H (or rather a 2 episode) Amazing Race scheduled (the regular time & an hour earlier, like last time). 

Whether CBS does something with TAR or not, would that be determined before the fall schedule announcements? I'm seeing lots of renewals and cancellations, but I'm uncertain as to whether that applies to reality shows.

(edited)
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Whether CBS does something with TAR or not, would that be determined before the fall schedule announcements? I'm seeing lots of renewals and cancellations, but I'm uncertain as to whether that applies to reality shows.

We absolutely should know sometime this weekend. Networks are making all their decisions on bubble shows this week since their schedules are announced early next week. ABC got their hatchets out yesterday. NBC and Fox did on Wednesday, so of course CBS is holding out! Deadline has it listed as 'Bubble, looking good' , but take that how you will.

ETA: Another 0.9 last night

Edited by TheRabbi

It's really, really, really on the bubble. I wonder if they'll bring it back mid season again. I would like for it to return but an earlier timeslot. I'm for Friday's at 8pm. I'm old and need my sleep. LOL!!!

• Love 2

I must admit I'm a bit nervous and checking my phone every 5 minutes. CBS is at it tonight. They have picked up 7 pilots for next season. They just somewhat surprisingly canceled 2 broke girls. So don't count on some 'final season' warning just because a show has been around for a while. We will likely know soon

I'm ready to riot. Well, not really, but fans of The Walking Dead might be willing to get violent if Daryl gets killed . . . so why shouldn't I? If CBS didn't butt in and fuck with the formula, some fans might not express interest in bailing out.

1 hour ago, TheRabbi said:

I must admit I'm a bit nervous and checking my phone every 5 minutes. CBS is at it tonight. They have picked up 7 pilots for next season. They just somewhat surprisingly canceled 2 broke girls. So don't count on some 'final season' warning just because a show has been around for a while. We will likely know soon

I only watched 2 Broke Girls once but I'm very surprised it was cancelled. Now, I'm actually worried about AR.

Again mentioning for those who might have missed it...Next week AR runs 2 hours (likely 2 episodes, rather than one 2-hour episode), starting an hour earlier than its usual time (starting 9/8 central).

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Again mentioning for those who might have missed it...Next week AR runs 2 hours (likely 2 episodes, rather than one 2-hour episode), starting an hour earlier than its usual time (starting 9/8 central).

Thanks. I hadn't even heard that. 

10 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Yay! But please no more themes unless it's allstars.

I wonder if an All-Stars would be easier for them to cast due to a late renewal. Maybe, they have non returnees in their Rolodex and can cast it easily. Also, they didn't say if it was renewed for a September/October premiere or if it's later. Either way, I'm happy.

I'm guessing it will be a spring premier/replacement again.  I can't imagine they have time to do all that needs to be done to run the race and finish post production by Sept/Oct.

• Love 1

Happy the show is renewed, we can't end with this season with this group of racers with few likable teams. I'm hoping there are no themes and TAR goes back to basics with the teams. As we can see strangers just don't work. They did families, dating, social media and strangers. I tuned out on 3 of the 4 themes.

• Love 1

I actually liked this season's format. What would be even more interesting would be a switch-up where you could ditch your partner in case he/she was a turkey. If they went back to this format in future I wouldn't object. Another idea might be "Redemption." All the contestants would be an assortment of teams eliminated on the first leg throughout the history of the show and give them one more chance.

I'd also like to see far less time in India, China, Vietnam and other SE Asia locales and more in Africa and Europe, as well as Oz, Russia and Canada. It just seems that they beat us about the head and neck with SE Asia every season. That's another think I've liked about TAR-29 so far (though I'm sure that'll be coming as they keep going clockwise around the globe).

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2017 at 9:36 AM, Haleth said:

I'm guessing it will be a spring premier/replacement again.  I can't imagine they have time to do all that needs to be done to run the race and finish post production by Sept/Oct.

I'm guessing it will be a similar schedule to this year, but mainly because CBS has shown that they want their other shows on the fall schedule. If CBS wanted this on the fall schedule, it could absolutely be done. The fall season usually shoots in June or July which could still be done. Production likely already has a cast in mind and was just waiting on a go-ahead.

We'll know more on Wednesday when CBS unveils their schedule. But I'm predicting TAR will only get a tiny mention of 'held for midseason' like we did last year

Edited by TheRabbi
(edited)

I've been following the CBS and network ratings as usual with this very thought in mind. CBS is basically set on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Its Monday comedies are really struggling, and it's dragging down Scorpion at 10. Their Thursday lineup just premiered last week so it's too early to tell how the new 'Swat' will end up doing.

Sundays at 8 could be a possibility. Wisdom of the crowd is not doing very well, and coupled with the recent developments with Jeremy Piven, CBS might just cut ties and not order more episodes.

Sundays 9-11 are NCIS and Madam Secretary, and while neither is a ratings powerhouse, they have both been on long enough to probably not be going anywhere this season.

So I would say the slots available would be Sundays at 8, Wednesdays at 8 between Survivor seasons, and maybe Thursday at 10 depending on how Swat does. Monday could be a longshot depending on if CBS wants to upend the night.

As for the pecking order, CBS still has TAR30, as well as new seasons of Elementary, Code black, and Undercover Boss on tap for midseason,  as well as one new comedy and one new drama, whose titles are Instinct and By the Book. So CBS has several shows it needs to find slots for, and not many time slots that are great candidates. Some of the shows might very well get pushed to summer premieres, or at least late April or May, like TAR 29 was originally scheduled for last year before CBS made the 11th hour Thursday switch.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1

Wow!!!!! I am stoked! I need some time to think about what this means,  but I'm optimistic. CBS is NOT burning this off. January and February is prime tv real estate, even against the Olympics. Ratings are higher in the winter than the spring, plus airing during February sweeps. 

Bring on January!

• Love 1

Okay, this is doable. But running it against the Olympics? I know that the Winter Games aren't as hot (pun intended) as their Summer counterpart, but NBC can showcase Americans being competitive in most events, especially the newer ones. I get the feeling CBS is trying to drive the franchise into the ground . . . but, to be honest, I'm totally glass-half-empty on most subjects.

• Love 3

Only the last 4 episodes are against the Olympics (2 weeks of 2 hours each). This is GOOD news. It's much better than being held until April again and slotting after the season of MacGyver like what was scheduled last year. I think the January ratings can be pretty solid, before probably tailing off against the Olympics 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Premiere January 3rd.  A few notes: 

-will be done over SEVEN weeks

-4 out of 7 episodes will be 2 hours

-It will face off against the Olympics. 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/cbs-winter-2018-premiere-dates-celebrity-big-brother-amazing-race-instinct-but-not-elementary/

One minor correction: it's actually 4 out of 8 episodes. January 24, then 2/7, 2/14, and the 2/21 finale. 

Edited by TheRabbi

@Geenee: a few hours after I posted, I had an epiphany. When does TAR30 end? February. When do networks announce their fall lineups? May. Conclusion: If TAR30 gets decent ratings, especially against the Olympics, maybe . . . just maybe . . . we could get two seasons for 2018-19. I know, I'm setting myself (and others) up for disappointment, but the possibility is there. I reckon us fans have to get the word out. Better yet, I'd want TAR to put the numbers for Celebrity Big Brother to shame, because fuck BB. Really.

• Love 2

I thought that Cody and whoever his girlfriend is from  BB forced on them would make a horrible team I would hate in the next season.  The team I would root against to get eliminated immediately. 

But I took the time to read the intro stuff on all the other teams and there is now sooooooo much hate to go around.  They all pretty much seem recruited for some sort of "bring your work buddy to the Amazing Race season."  Another stupid theme season where even the other two "couples" teams are also work buddies as well.  I hate that.

And most of these people seem to LOVE the outdoors and rugged outdoor activity etc setting up endless athletic challenges instead of the more travel/cultural/people oriented ones I prefer.

And the recruits are semi-known people as in the hot dog eaters one of which is always mentioned on the news.  The music group are professionals in the public eye.  The ex-NBA guys.  The ski women with Olympics in the past.  And of course the "pink" models team.  We have never been mactor free on this show, sigh.  The only "recruits" that seem the least interesting are the goat yoga ladies so they will probably be out the first leg because such is my luck.

Damn it I want to see farmer Joe Smo who has never traveled outside the Great Plains and his beloved niece.  I want to see The Gutsy Grannies 2.0.  I want to see regular people who apply for the show and live normal lives.  And tons of different relationships among the teams.  Just not work buddies ... yawn.  In other words I want to see The Amazing Race return to when it was a great show again with great teams.  Don't think that will ever happen again though.

The one thing they always needed to improve on other than exterminating all mactors on sight is more diversity.  One lone Asian guy?  And the ex-NBA guys are it this season for Afro-Americans?  And what a stereotype.  Black basketball players. 

So disappointed with this season already.  Wish I could go back in time and axe all those teams except maybe the goat yoga ladies because, you know, if you have to have recruits that have some minor fame then make it about goats doing yoga.  (Well they actually don't but admit it, you hear that phrase and you immediately try and imagine goats getting into the full lotus position, heh). 

And I haven't forgotten Cody the Bigot.  He still gets axed first.

Edited by green
  • Love 5