Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

0.8 for hour 1 and 0.7 for hour 2 in the finale. Fine results all things considered. The 10 PM hour is always lower, and the show stayed remarkably consistent once it settled into the 0.8/0.9 range.

Big Brother scored a 1.1 rating at 8 PM last night, better than what Race has been doing. If you ever wonder why CBS gives special treatment to shows like that, look no further. Much, MUCH cheaper to produce and yet better ratings. 

Here's hoping TAR32 doesn't wait another year to air, but I definitely don't think we're seeing it in 2019. Would love to be proven wrong. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

0.8 for hour 1 and 0.7 for hour 2 in the finale. Fine results all things considered. The 10 PM hour is always lower, and the show stayed remarkably consistent once it settled into the 0.8/0.9 range.

Big Brother scored a 1.1 rating at 8 PM last night, better than what Race has been doing. If you ever wonder why CBS gives special treatment to shows like that, look no further. Much, MUCH cheaper to produce and yet better ratings. 

Here's hoping TAR32 doesn't wait another year to air, but I definitely don't think we're seeing it in 2019. Would love to be proven wrong. 

Ah but chicken/egg.  CBS promotes BB far FAR more so they should get a bigger audience.  They have never done any decent promo campaign for TAR ever.  If they were creative in the marketing and ads who knows what TAR's ratings would be.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, TheRabbi said:

It seems very odd that the finale of a competition would have fewer viewers in the segment that actually reveals the winners. What would motivate people to turn it off before they know the outcome unless all they wanted to know was whether Nicole and Victor were in the final?

9 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

It seems very odd that the finale of a competition would have fewer viewers in the segment that actually reveals the winners. What would motivate people to turn it off before they know the outcome unless all they wanted to know was whether Nicole and Victor were in the final?

There’s a history for TAR where airing at 9pm or then 10pm generated lower overnight ratings than 8pm. We’ll know better in a couple of weeks, but TAR has shown and uncanny ability to gain time shifted viewers to the same levels consistently at live plus seven day viewing in both season 30 and 31. Especially when the finale had an hour of a Big Brother premiere before it.

Question: is there a surefire way for TAR to increase its ratings and still maintain some measure of respectability? Survivor: Island of the Idols has mostly been a disaster, but the ratings have probably inched upward.

I think it's great that TAR will take over the Survivor timeslot. They could have thrown it to the curb on a Saturday night but it's on Wednesday and 8pm which is great. Of course, it was done over a year and a half ago but I'm sure the winners will be happy to get their money. Boy! That was a long wait for them.

0.7, 3.4 million viewers for the premiere. I'm sure at least part of that is the lousy lead-in from BB (it got just over half of what the Survivor episode immediately before TAR31's premiere got) and part of it is people just not wanting to watch a show about travel right now, but still, that's the lowest rating TAR has ever gotten.

1 hour ago, Balmafula said:

Because it's confirmation, not speculation. 

Thanks. I had no idea. I watch it live anyway but it’s always good to know. I do wonder if it’s an extended episode or just another self contained episode?! I’m not complaining but I don’t want it to end early. I’m good with one episode a week. I’ve been enjoying seeing the newbies run the race. Some of the challenges have been a little weak but are still making mistakes. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, katalizt said:

Check your DVRs - I just realized mine didn't have tomorrow's episode scheduled, presumably because it thinks that episode aired last week. 

Same here. I thought it was off for a week and a double next week but it wasn’t. It’s supposed to be one episode on the 11th and 2 episodes on the 18th......I think. I think I’m set now with the DVR. I usually watch it live anyway while taping. I’m that lame. LOL!!!!

7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yeah, I had to add it manually. But is there another one floating around the schedule? This episode is showing as 05, and the two next week say 07 and 08. What happened to episode 6?

Episodes 6 & 7 are airing next Wednesday 11/18. 

• Love 3

The "this week 05, next week 07 & 08" guide probably wasn't updated. I assume 04/05 was (supposed to be) last week, making 06 this week and 07/08 next week. When 05 got bumped last week, it moved to this week (guide is correct), moving 06 to next week (along with the already scheduled 07), which your guide hasn't updated yet.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, Lantern7 said:

Is there a date for the season finale?

I think I heard it was Dec. 16th. I think that’s why they’ve been doubling up. Which I find odd since they don’t gave much content. While some of the hour dramas and comedies have returned I don’t know why they are in a rush to burn off TAR. It’s not like they have another season of TAR or Survivor waiting in the wings. They also don’t appear to be doing a winter season of Big Brother. 

Noticed that season 2 of tough as nails is getting the time slot in February while Survivor is still unable to film. Such a shame about TAR 33's filming. If they had started just a week or two earlier and managed to get the season in, then we almost certainly would have kept this timeslot for the spring, with tough as nails kept for the summer. TAR 32 rated fairly solidly all around given the state of broadcast TV.

TAR has a fast taping schedule compared to Survivor. TAR Season 32 filming dates were from November 10 to December 3, 2018 about 24 Days versus 39 Days for Survivor. If they had just started started a little earlier for Season 33 they might have been able to get the season in the can. Of course, no one could have predicted what would happen in March. I do wonder if and when it returns will the teams return?! Who knows   what the state of the pairs running will be when filming resumes. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

Yep, I feel like if they had made it out of europe before the world situation started to deteriorate (since Europe was the first hotspot outside China), then they probably would have tried to keep going and finish it off. Maybe even just starting a week earlier would have been enough. Terrible timing. Oh well

Edited by TheRabbi
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

Would it be practical to continue the race after all this time? Or would they have to scrap what they have and restart from the beginning?

I would think for the integrity of the game they would leave where they left off with who got eliminated. Although, where they would start/end from could be a whole different story. It all depends on who is open for business and is it safe. I just have a feeling it will be a very long time before TAR starts again. Whereas if Survivor gets the go ahead for one designated location they would be able to complete their schedule faster. There are greater things in the world to be worried about than TAR but from an entertainment point I am very curious how it all plays out for all things reality tv. 

i suddenly wondered, did the S32 teams have to wait until the season was shown on TV to get their prizes?  How did that affect the travel prizes?  Did they offer a cash equivalent instead due to all the travel problems?  Or just say, let us know when you want the prize?

Last season, The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal (both of which rely heavily on travel prizes) had trips almost exclusively within the US.  This season I they've reintroduced international trips.   I know last season they mentioned that the time the winner was allowed to redeem their trip was extended due to COVID uncertainties.    

7 hours ago, Hanahope said:

i suddenly wondered, did the S32 teams have to wait until the season was shown on TV to get their prizes?  How did that affect the travel prizes?  Did they offer a cash equivalent instead due to all the travel problems?  Or just say, let us know when you want the prize?

I think when the world was battered by travel restrictions during the first half of 2021, I wonder they refunded with cash in lieu of the vacation prizes they won in every leg during S32.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:15 PM, Hanahope said:

i suddenly wondered, did the S32 teams have to wait until the season was shown on TV to get their prizes?

Probably, but it depends on the contract. 

As I understand it, most shows like TAR and Survivor have a "show must air in its entirety before prize payouts" clause in the contract, and all contestants are made fully aware of said clause before signing and competing.  That means that if the season gets delayed in airing, the winners will be waiting longer to get their checks.

Newer shows trying to get off the ground may also have a clause about winners getting paid after X amount of time if the show does not air completely or at all. 

4 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So is this going to be a full season? Does anyone know what the end date is supposed to be?

I'm trying to figure out how long I have to subscribe to Paramount +

Yes. Finale will be in early March. Survivor returns a week after TAR 33 ends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I hate that they pushed it back an hour for The Real Love Boat 🙄 I guess I’ll be watching it on On Demand the next day…

Once again: I don't think CBS cares for fans of TAR. They took a show that's based on a fictional series from way back, slapped a "Real" in the title, and they're putting it after Survivor. And really, if it's supposed to be "spicy" like Love Island, wouldn't a 10 p.m. slot better suit it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Once again: I don't think CBS cares for fans of TAR. They took a show that's based on a fictional series from way back, slapped a "Real" in the title, and they're putting it after Survivor. And really, if it's supposed to be "spicy" like Love Island, wouldn't a 10 p.m. slot better suit it?

Like I said in this post:

this rescheduling is most likely an attempt by CBS to get an audience for this ridiculous dating show.  Putting it after the continuously popular Survivor and before TAR with its die-hard audience is their best bet.  There will probably be another change in the schedule later, assuming cancellation (likely) or complaints (also likely).

I could maybe understand that logic "once upon a time" but not anymore.  I have other options, and will use them, to avoid this stupid love boat show.  It's not like the old days where if you didn't have a lot of choices but sit there and watch or you might miss something.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I could maybe understand that logic "once upon a time" but not anymore.  I have other options, and will use them, to avoid this stupid love boat show.  It's not like the old days where if you didn't have a lot of choices but sit there and watch or you might miss something.

It’s cheap, crappy programming. Any original ideas are not on broadcast TV anymore. Bachelor/Bachelorette, Love Island, Big Brother…and the alternate is whole evenings of Law & Order, FBI, Chicago whatever, and now a new The Rookie series, it’s all the same….

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Applause 1