Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Run

I say it's the best pilot I've seen in the last week,

Actually I think so as well. I've been thinking about the other pilots I've seen so far and most of them have been pretty yawn-worthy or plain stupid. This may have been a bit OMG FBI but at least they had a good plot and set up some decent characters. Plus it was kind of fun without being too smug or in love with itself (Scream Queens). 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1

The character who claims to be gay, I feel really isn't.  In the beginning of the episode, he's in NYC, he kissed and took a selfie with a random guy that he met and bought coffee.  I think the guy he bought coffee for was gay, but he, the FBI recruit isn't.  

• Love 6

Small pet peeve:  Clearly Alex is of South Asian decent.  You just would need to look at her and know.  So why would they choose a name such as Alex Parrish for her?  Maybe a somewhat South Asian name would have been better.  Even just an attempt at a better first name would have been better than Alex.

• Love 4

Is her father supposed to be white, though?  The first name is silly though I'll give you that.  Maybe it's part of Alex being mysterious and trying to make her identity more generic.  Although the full hair and makeup doesn't really agree with that.

Agreed with Netfoot in that I try out a lot of pilots in Pilot Season (actually in a lot of times of year) and this one was by far my favourite.  I guess Minority Report would be the distant second.  I was really upset when the episode ended (only 1 hour pilot - I've watched quite a few 2 hour premieres this month) and I really wanted to just keep watching the show.  I feel an addiction, and it's only been one episode!

Love the nickname "Agent CougarTown".   Did they really recast Dougray Scott with Josh Hopkins, because that seems like a huge downgrade in acting skills and resume.

Absolutely came to love the character Miranda in the rescuing scene, kind of obsessed with her now.  Guess I have residual goodwill towards Aunjanue Ellis from The Mentalist even though I remember that character was not supposed to be likeable.  Hmm.   Although I thought after that Miranda would be shot dead approximately 400 times.  They just let her off the hook?  Can someone explain the logic of that?

Thank you for providing me with Anthony Ruivivar's name.  I really don't think it's that he "likes" playing FBI characters (though that may have been a joke) but unfortunately his very unique background seems to have limited his options.   Just caught up on his Wikipedia.

Agree with the poster early on who fingered Simon as the terrorist.  The points about how he seems a lot smarter than he puts on and is hiding a whole bunch of stuff that we can't even guess to.  I actually thought it was pretty obvious.  BUT -- I am always wrong in these things. Though I found it really obvious that Alex shot her father in that fake flashback.

I like Alex's 'love interest' already.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I don't know: on one hand, I can't help imagining that the main character's name was created before the role was cast (or even the gender decided on?), and at the same time, I figure that it's not impossible (in-story) that her parents named her "Alexandra" as a consciously "American" choice (I don't actually know how much first-generation American families want to assimilate, currently.)

So, take my comments with a large grain of flaky sea salt...

• Love 1

I don't know: on one hand, I can't help imagining that the main character's name was created before the role was cast (or even the gender decided on?), and at the same time, I figure that it's not impossible (in-story) that her parents named her "Alexandra" as a consciously "American" choice (I don't actually know how much first-generation American families want to assimilate, currently.)

All that is entirely probable, but they could have easily changed the (first) name once they cast Chopra.

• Love 1

Speaking as one who is First Generation American (of East Indian descent), my parents did not Anglicize my name, and this was over 30 years ago, so yeah, it made me raise my brows that Alex's name gives no indication of her heritage--

All that is entirely probable, but they could have easily changed the (first) name once they cast Chopra.

Yep.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

About the whole secret thing, I read an interview with a show runner or producer that the FBI knew the "secret" but it was blacked out from the file for the test. It was up to the newbie to figure it out. This interview about stated It is also not a real FBI thing and was created for the show.

I should hope not! Let's see, these recruits are going to be closely working a difficult job together, so let's have them taunt each other about their most sensitive secrets in front of the whole class. Team-building!

Would never argue Mormon guy shouldn't feel bad or be heavily judged, but the whole, how did this SOCIOPATHIC CAREER CRIMINAL ever pass the background check?! reaction seemed out of step with what actually happened.

Another Shonda comparison for me was Alex's characterisation and reaction to the one night stand. Actually a bit unrealistically overdone here, with Alex announcing the ons to the coworkers she's just met like slut-shaming is no longer a thing. But Meredith Grey was notable as a sex-positive lead character who didn't need no man (except for the one thing), back when the show was new.

Am way more of a Grey's fan than a fan of terrible people doing creepy things, so this may not be for me.

Would never argue Mormon guy shouldn't feel bad or be heavily judged, but the whole, how did this SOCIOPATHIC CAREER CRIMINAL ever pass the background check?! reaction seemed out of step with what actually happened.

Done for shock value to show how you can't trust anyone for the plot twist of the suspect when it's revealed, that and the actor wasn't a series regular so he was easily expendable.

Edited to say that I misread innocuouspuff's post rather badly; sorry, everyone. I think the background checks *could* have been more rigorous, maybe, in Alex's case as well as Eric's, but I agree the ethics/morality of his marriage was weird, but not on the level of career criminality.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I don't think he was either? It was sarcasm because the shock and horror and how did he ever get accepted to our prestigious program and shouldn't this have been obvious in the background check seemed pretty over the top to me. Why would it have been obvious in the background check? I'm wary of accidentally implying everyone should go sleep with 14 year olds, but it just ended up being weird moral handwringing rather than a truly interesting revelation worthy of the drama it was meant to anchor.

Edited by innocuouspuff

Small pet peeve:  Clearly Alex is of South Asian decent.  You just would need to look at her and know.  So why would they choose a name such as Alex Parrish for her?  Maybe a somewhat South Asian name would have been better.  Even just an attempt at a better first name would have been better than Alex.

It looked to me in the flashbacks that the father was white.  Hence the last name Parrish.  I find it hard to believe that they would build a show around an actress relatively unknown in the U.S.  It makes more sense that there was a script and a slate of characters and then they cast her.  I do agree that they could have changed the character's name after she was cast, but I kind of like that this obviously Indian-looking woman has an all-American name like "Alexandra Parrish".  It makes it seem like they cast a woman of colour in a race-blind role.  Similar to how Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating could be played by women of any colour, but just happen to be played by two sensational black actresses.

I also like the fact that unlike with the Middle Eastern recruit, who we saw faces prejudice in her everyday life (gas station attendant doesn't trust her), the other recruits aren't treating Alex any differently.  She's not an Indian woman trying to infiltrate the FBI.  She is an American woman applying to be part of the FBI just like her other fellow American recruits.

• Love 6

Such a Greysesque show, from the oopsie coworker hookup to the emo coda song at the end. What song was that by the way? It was really good.

Nice to see Johanna Brady get more work but something about her voice really grates on my nerves. I do like her and all the other recruits though. I didn't think I'd like the lead actress based on the promos but I'm surprised by how much I like her so far. I really didn't see the twist coming with Eric and am slightly disappointed as he thought he was one of the more interesting characters.

I'm wondering why the boss and Booth are investigating her... (Gross if they've both hooked up with her).

It was sarcasm because the shock and horror and how did he ever get accepted to our prestigious program and shouldn't this have been obvious in the background check seemed pretty over the top to me.

This show wants to do over the top moments with its' continued usage of the Shonda Rhimes playbook.

Such a Greysesque show, from the oopsie coworker hookup to the emo coda song at the end. What song was that by the way? It was really good.

The last scene?

Cold War Kids: "First".

• Love 1

It looked to me in the flashbacks that the father was white.  Hence the last name Parrish.  I find it hard to believe that they would build a show around an actress relatively unknown in the U.S.  It makes more sense that there was a script and a slate of characters and then they cast her.  I do agree that they could have changed the character's name after she was cast, but I kind of like that this obviously Indian-looking woman has an all-American name like "Alexandra Parrish".  It makes it seem like they cast a woman of colour in a race-blind role.  Similar to how Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating could be played by women of any colour, but just happen to be played by two sensational black actresses.

I also like the fact that unlike with the Middle Eastern recruit, who we saw faces prejudice in her everyday life (gas station attendant doesn't trust her), the other recruits aren't treating Alex any differently.  She's not an Indian woman trying to infiltrate the FBI.  She is an American woman applying to be part of the FBI just like her other fellow American recruits.

blackwing, I understand your point, and I...don't think I would have thought twice about the name of Alexandra Parrish, had her mother not been of East-Indian descent and her name is Sita. So while I can understand her surname being Parrish, because her father was White, her mother isn't.

But it's not a huge deal, so I'll just shut up now and go back in my corner.

• Love 1

I did, too. Who played him?

Brian J. Smith's breakout role was as Lt. Matt Scott on Stargate: Universe. He was also in a number of episodes of Pretty Little Liars. He received a Tony nomination for playing the Gentleman Caller in the most recent revival of Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie.

His guilt came not just from the sexual indiscretion but that he urged the girl to get the illegal abortion that killed her. Although he took advantage of a teen-aged girl in a country where that wasn't illegal, we don't know for sure he is a pedophile, someone with a mental illness who is only attracted to children or adolescents. Coming from a regimented US religious culture, he may just have succumbed to temptation while in Malawi.

I'm with the group that thinks Simon is faking being gay, perhaps to gain the trust of some gay man he's targeting for either good or bad spy purpose. Why his group couldn't just find an actual gay man as an operative is an obstacle, but realistic thinking is not in this show's DNA. My nominee for the terrorist is the certainly not dead CarSex guy, with fake-inept, used to be cringeworthy Danny as second choice.

• Love 1

I felt like this went downhill as the hour went on. It didn't start off well at all by starting in the middle of the story. Would have played better if it opened cold with her running.

They absolutely must have pitched this as Grey's Anatomy meets spy world. Not only did the young group of trainees comes through the ranks mirror the beginning of Grey's, but the instructor speech was a weak facsimile of the opening speech the chief gives in the Grey's pilot.

I didn't catch the line from the twins about working for the boss. I did pick up they were twins a good 15 minutes before the reveal. My uses is either on the blonde orphan, or the guy who is a kid of two agents. They'll both blame the US or the agency for having crappy childhoods and losing their parents; in turn sympathizing for a terrorist group.

I also think  the episode felt very rushed and chopped up. It literally felt like portions were left on the cutting room floor that would have at least given a glimpse into the background on more of the trainees. Also convenient that the class is 50, and the focus is on a handful.

I'll record a few episodes and either wait for a fall lull, or to hear about word of mouth but this currently won't be on  regular rotation.

• Love 1

Also convenient that the class is 50, and the focus is on a handful.

This gives them 40+ others to use as cannon fodder if required.  Like all the other passengers in Lost, who only got screen-time if they needed someone to be eaten by the Komodo lizard.

• Love 3

Yes, you're correct that her father was shown as white, and so the last name fits.  I understand your point that she has an all-American name like Alexandra, but I just find it a little jarring when I hear her name on the show, and I see an actress of Indian background.  Not to say I find anything wrong with the name - I just feel if you're going to cast a South Asian woman, at least give her a South Asian name.  And yes, like others have said, TPTB could have easily changed the first name after they cast Priyanka Chopra.

Anyways, just a little nitpick on my end.  All's good.

• Love 1
Although he took advantage of a teen-aged girl in a country where that wasn't illegal, we don't know for sure he is a pedophile, someone with a mental illness who is only attracted to children or adolescents. Coming from a regimented US religious culture, he may just have succumbed to temptation while in Malawi.

Well, more accurately then, with a 14-year-old he's just catching the high end of 'hebephilia' rather pedophilia.  Not much better but until fairly recently, legal in Utah as well.  They upped the age of consent after a memorable incident with the Portland Trailblazers - it's now 16 for girls and 18 for boys.  With age restrictions - they also can't have sex with someone more than 10 years older.  The reason for the complicated arrangement is the crackdown on underaged polygamous wives.  Utah's a funny place, but still not one where everyone will be delighted to hear about a missionary nailing an adolescent while on the job. 

I felt like this went downhill as the hour went on. It didn't start off well at all by starting in the middle of the story. Would have played better if it opened cold with her running.

That would've been a better opening.

• Love 1

I would have loved to have Chopra's character named anything but a generic, "Westernized" name. I feel like they did it because shows, unfortunately, fall under the 'Western' ways of television. That being the main character must be somewhat Americanized. I love that they cast Priyanka Chopra as the lead female, but if they had an East Asian name, that's not 'Americanized' enough. I don't know, it makes sense in my head. I do think the showrunners feel like people would be turned off by a lead female by the name of Nisha or Preeti, to throw out some examples (apologies if these names don't fit with Chopra's particular region). I do not like that they kept the name Alex. The last name I can deal with. But how beautiful and unique would having an East Asian/Indian name be for a main character on an American show? We already have Nimah, and we also have Sita. Why not have Nisha Parrish or something like that? If they must give her some horrid 'American' nickname, then I'd hate it, but at least it wouldn't be a name that could be for any American female or male character. We already have too many generic names like that as leads. 

• Love 4

I'm fan wanking the "Alex" name as she was named Alexandra after Queen Alexandra, who was also the Empress of India while the Queen Consort of George VII. Alex's mother (this is all in my head, btw) married an American, and decided to name her daughter after Alexandra for...some reason. This all makes complete sense until I try to explain it. Then I realize I'm probably thinking too hard.

• Love 7

... The last name I can deal with. But how beautiful and unique would having an East Asian/Indian name be for a main character on an American show? We already have Nimah, and we also have Sita. Why not have Nisha Parrish or something like that? If they must give her some horrid 'American' nickname, then I'd hate it, but at least it wouldn't be a name that could be for any American female or male character. We already have too many generic names like that as leads. 

For goodness sake, I'm sure there are Indian names that are easy on American ears and/or similar to Anglo names that they could have used.

Anyway, it's a relatively minor nitpick.

• Love 3

For goodness sake, I'm sure there are Indian names that are easy on American ears and/or similar to Anglo names that they could have used.

Anyway, it's a relatively minor nitpick.

Maybe it is. But someone could easily write a lengthy essay on naming lead characters in movies and TV shows that go against racially diverse names due to them not sounding Westernized enough. Sure, supporting characters are more susceptible to being named more unique names, but leads? It's actually interesting to think about, now that I am, and it's a problem. 

• Love 3

Maybe Alex is a middle name and she chooses to use that instead of her first name for her own reasons. Or maybe Alex was just simpler for mass audiences to remember, or maybe the Creators just like it a lot. Its just a name.

I liked this show. I will keep watching, not like I need another show, but whatever.

I say it's the best pilot I've seen in the last week,

I wish I could be on the love train. To paraphrase Terry on Brooklyn 99, mandigirl loves love! But from the previews I thought the attack happened BEFORE Alex went to Quantico and she was imbedded in the class to root out the terrorist. I wasn't expecting a watered-down 'The Fugitive' rehash.  I really do think that would have been a more interesting show. 

Another Shonda comparison for me was Alex's characterisation and reaction to the one night stand. Actually a bit unrealistically overdone here

Of all the smug, "badass" female leads that have been trotted out this pilot season, Alex has got to be the smuggest and badassy-est yet.  When she went all 'Sherlock Holmes' on CarSex Guy at the beginning about her conclusions about him, I actually would have been kinda impressed, but she was so obnoxiously smug about it! Then her "badass" walk at the end.

• Love 2

I rewatched the first few minutes again (it was on after Agent of SHIELD tonight), and now I can see how the twin "twist" was set up by Nimah's first appearance.  She takes car keys out of the gas station toilet tank and then drives off in a different car than she came in, and then we see the car she came in driving off as well.

I'm sure some of you smart people caught this the first time around, but I didn't realize it was car keys she was taking out.

• Love 1

When I saw the name "NIMAH AMIN" on the door I thought, ooh, a palindrome! I wonder if they did that on purpose! After the twin reveal, I'm guessing they did.

Yeah, the showrunner is very good on structure, so I'm guessing it was purposeful.

Think I forgot to mention, maybe the people who think it's weird the agents in this crop concealed things from their friends, family, etc. as they departed for Quantico; now I'm wondering if that won't be the point.  Because I think it's weird, because I'm familiar with the process from prior fictional representations (IIRC they were quite strident back in the day that Thomas Harris did work and had actual FBI process input on Clarice Starling and Quantico, not to mention others); so maybe they're supposed to be secret sleeper agents.

I think the gay character is really the not-gay because I'm trying to figure out some way, why he would think he needs to display a fake relationship.  Any generic belief that his classmates might think "someone with no attachments to someone else is a psycho" (aka "a loner is alarming"), maybe; but it has to be there for a purpose of some sort.  My best guess on purpose is, he needs to be nonthreatening to a woman.  My money thus is on Nimah.

.I also think it's unlikely that Caleb (?) is actually a dud agent, or that we've seen the last of him.  I find it flat out implausible that the child of two agents, wouldn't have at least some genetically unified skills from the parents.  To stink at everything is unlikely, he'd at least have their good reflexes, or stamina, or something.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

Why is an ABC drama cribbing from a lame Big Brother twist?

This is better than Blood and Oil, which ain't sayin much, but I'm in for now.  I'm sure it's going to be like most shows of this type where they're making up the mystery as they go along and/or they try to stretch it out more than 1 season.

so I picked this show to invest in. I was thinking it was episodic in that each week a new adventure but this will drag out right? I get the Fugitive vibe? I like it so far and also agree with a few that something is up with the blonde girl and Agent CougarTown.

Edited by HappilyEverAfter

I'm confused about the layout of these dorm rooms.  You enter the door to the room.  There appears to be a "left side" and "right side", divided by a wall, with a bed in each.  Then just inside the entrance door, off to the side, somewhere there is a bathroom?  Is there one bathroom for every two rooms?  Is there just one long open inner hallway to the bathroom?  Do men and women share the bathroom?  I thought Ryan Booth was in his room, and seemed to look down towards the bathroom and saw Alex / Taylor Swift.

I went to a college that had "dorm suites" like this. It is basically as you described it: one dorm room (divided in separate sleeping quarters by a wall) connected to another dorm room by a Jack and Jill bathroom.  

I fully admit my that my view is tainted by everything going on lately with police brutality and such but I find myself actively hating Caleb. He's a mediocre white guy who had an amazing opportunity handed to him like it was a participation award thanks to nepotism and has shown that he turns to bullying and taunting when feeling insecure about his abilities. Yup, totally the guy you want to have a gun and badge.

• Love 3

Caleb was the guy that came out of the bathroom wearing a towel and got ogled by the blonde girl and the supposedly gay guy, right?  Because he seemed pretty fit.  Not sure if I buy that he's supposed to be this physically inept guy.  I'm thinking that perhaps it's an act.  It seems that nobody is really what they seem.  What I'd like to know is if every single recruit has this mysterious/duplicitous side, or just these six.

• Love 1

I liked it minus the gratuitous car sex scene. I got the Grey's vibe which I liked the first season and the How to Get Away With Murder vibe which I couldn't take after the premier episode as I was lost by the end of it.

For those of you that are into Government/Espionage/Historical shows, check out The Americans on FX.  Season 4 starts in January.  It is one of the best shows!     

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 2

It looked to me in the flashbacks that the father was white. Hence the last name Parrish. I find it hard to believe that they would build a show around an actress relatively unknown in the U.S. It makes more sense that there was a script and a slate of characters and then they cast her. I do agree that they could have changed the character's name after she was cast, but I kind of like that this obviously Indian-looking woman has an all-American name like "Alexandra Parrish". It makes it seem like they cast a woman of colour in a race-blind role. ...

I kinda like it too. While I understand the desire to represent, I personally would like to see characters on tv with a variety of names and traits from the more traditional to completely 'Americanized'. I get tired of the assumption that many people have that certain ethnicities obviously are immigrants or first generation and can't possibly be 'real' Americans or have American-style names. I'm biracial and many of my friends are either mixed or full Asian. You get tired of these conversations:

Where are you from?

San Diego

No, where are you really from?

San Diego

No, where are your parents from?

San Diego

What's your name?

Jennifer Davis (not my real name, but my name is that generically "American")

How'd you get a name like that?

My dad's last name is Davis.

What about Jennifer? What's your real name?

It's Jennifer.

But that's your western name, right? What's your Asian name?

I only have the one name. It's Jennifer. Gah!

A quick google tells me that the FBI is 83.27% white. Therefore, there are far too many non-white actors cast in this show, if realism is any sort of desirable goal.

Yeah, realism is what this show is striving for.

It just follows in the long tradition of hospital shows not having enough Asians and shows based in NYC not having enough of any minorities.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 8

I think the gay character is really the not-gay because I'm trying to figure out some way, why he would think he needs to display a fake relationship.  Any generic belief that his classmates might think "someone with no attachments to someone else is a psycho" (aka "a loner is alarming"), maybe; but it has to be there for a purpose of some sort.  My best guess on purpose is, he needs to be nonthreatening to a woman.  My money thus is on Nimah.

The fake relationship may be to give him a non-loner status, as you point out, which is more comfortable for those around him. It might also be to camouflage that he is a) not gay at all, b) that he IS gay, AND in a relationship, but that person might not be someone he wants revealed, or c) he IS gay, but single, and afraid that might make others uncomfortable because either 1) loner  or 2) "on the prowl", and therefore a threat, or 3) too focused on work/education, and therefore a threat

If he IS faking, it gives him cover when questioned on anything, as a protected minority (as I stated earlier, it's the only protected class that must be accepted on the person's word alone, and has no visual cues other than, for example, the photograph). On the other hand, it gives him cover if he shows too much interest in the other males or with the females, as he can  propose that he is non-threatening because of his orientation, which Nimah was not buying.

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 3

I heard them state her full name as Alexander, when she was being arrested.

As soon as they showed Alex's mom smoking a cigarette (which I thought they couldn't do anymore on network TV?), I figured she was probably a baddie. I doubt Alex's Dad willbe in the wrong.

I'm so glad to see many people here who think like me. When the show started I said to hubs,"Oh look! It's Agent Tiny Eyes!." The man who watched all seasons of Cougar Town with me looked like I had lost my mind.

I'm in for now, but I am getting a Dynasty crossed with Criminal Minds vibe. While I will watch either one if nothing else is on, I don't go out of my way for it.

Having never seen How To Get Away With Murder, or Grey's Anatomy, I'm unsullied as to 'old hat formulaic retread'.  I was interested enough to add it to my DVR, because I'm curious to see who the terrorist really is.  I clearly wasn't paying close enough attention, because the gay/maybe not gay agent kissing scene seemed off to me, but I couldn't tell why.  I realize after reading that the man essentially took a selfie while kissing a total stranger, which explains the baffled expression as the recruit walked away.  I thought he was just being a jerk.  His overly obvious interest in what turns out to be the twins in the single room is interesting to me. There's something going on there!

Thank you to whomever pointed out the Stargate: Universe role.  That was driving me insane.  I knew I'd seen him somewhere and couldn't for the life of me remember.

The fact that the FBI failed to notice that a recruit hadn't turned in his pistol and retrieved his "red handle" was a huge issue for me.  To make their plot work, they made the elite academy look inept.  That would have been spotted almost as soon as the last recruit left the armory, triggering a 'lockdown' and a search.  

Still, I'm in...for now. 

• Love 1

Using Quantico as the backdrop for a soap opera wastes its potential as a basis for a proper adult drama about what recruits actually experience. I don't care about the dishy 'secrets' of the well-scrubbed pretty young things, who are so carefully diverse and pleasing to the eye yet inoffensive. None of them look like real people who would last a week out in the real dirty world, and the whodunit aspect is tedious already. Pity.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 2
A quick google tells me that the FBI is 83.27% white. Therefore, there are far too many non-white actors cast in this show, if realism is any sort of desirable goal.

Yeah, realism is what this show is striving for.

It just follows in the long tradition of hospital shows not having enough Asians and shows based in NYC not having enough of any minorities.

How many is enough?

It strikes me that while TPTB are happy with a diverse cast, and (in this case) leading lady, they feel that they can't push the American viewing public too far, so they "soften the blow" by giving the character a very westernized name.  I personally think it's bullshit, but I'm not making the show.  Priyanka Chopra has a lovely name, and I'd have been perfectly satisfied for the character she plays to have been given a name appropriate to her ethnicity.  But then, I was born in a country with a fairly large east-indian population, so I guess I'm more accustomed to such names.

It's nothing new.  American backers generally won't become involved in any cinematic production unless the lead character (or a top henchman) is recast as an American.  How do you suppose Sullivan Stapleton ended up on a British special forces team?  Or Robert Wagner ended up in a show about British POWs escaping in WW-II?  It's because if they don't do it, Americans won't watch!

• Love 1

How many is enough?

It strikes me that while TPTB are happy with a diverse cast, and (in this case) leading lady, they feel that they can't push the American viewing public too far, so they "soften the blow" by giving the character a very westernized name.  I personally think it's bullshit, but I'm not making the show.  Priyanka Chopra has a lovely name, and I'd have been perfectly satisfied for the character she plays to have been given a name appropriate to her ethnicity.  But then, I was born in a country with a fairly large east-indian population, so I guess I'm more accustomed to such names.

It's nothing new.  American backers generally won't become involved in any cinematic production unless the lead character (or a top henchman) is recast as an American.  How do you suppose Sullivan Stapleton ended up on a British special forces team?  Or Robert Wagner ended up in a show about British POWs escaping in WW-II?  It's because if they don't do it, Americans won't watch!

We Americans are far more interested in being entertained than in anything else. You'll find that most viewers don't even recall characters' names until a couple of episodes in, instead relying on identifiers like "Carsex", previous TV roles, or other identifying characteristics. I had no idea the POV character's name was "Alex" until reading through the comments here. Nimah, a not-very-common American name, stuck with me mostly because it IS less common.

Frankly, I was confused over Caleb/Eric, as Caleb is a Mormon sounding name.

• Love 1

We Americans are far more interested in being entertained than in anything else. You'll find that most viewers don't even recall characters' names until a couple of episodes in, instead relying on identifiers like "Carsex", previous TV roles, or other identifying characteristics. I had no idea the POV character's name was "Alex" until reading through the comments here. Nimah, a not-very-common American name, stuck with me mostly because it IS less common.

Frankly, I was confused over Caleb/Eric, as Caleb is a Mormon sounding name.

Old Testament name, Jewish before Christian/Mormon parents started choosing Biblical names for their children.
  • Love 1

Wow..I just finally watched.  I have to say I'm very confused.  There's way too many cast members and the going back and forth in time gives me a headache.

However, those things aside, I will watch again on Sunday and give it a chance.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1

Caleb was the guy that came out of the bathroom wearing a towel and got ogled by the blonde girl and the supposedly gay guy, right?  Because he seemed pretty fit.  Not sure if I buy that he's supposed to be this physically inept guy.  I'm thinking that perhaps it's an act.  It seems that nobody is really what they seem.  What I'd like to know is if every single recruit has this mysterious/duplicitous side, or just these six.

Being a horrible shot or an inept fighter might be plausible, but a guy with *that* build is not going to be physically weak.