Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01/S17.E02: Devil's Dissections/Criminal Pathology

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The episode didn't have too much suspense for me. The second Rudnick opened his mouth I thought "creepy mofo is the killer". It was too obvious.

So I mostly focused my attention on how hot Carisi (WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?) and a scruffy Barba were. Damn.

• Love 4

Executive Assistant District Attorney, a.k.a. what both Ben Stone and Jack McCoy were under Adam Schiff, who was the DA (followed, obviously, by Lewin and Branch) on the Mothership before McCoy moved up and Cutter took McCoy's old job of EADA.

Which makes me wonder, if the case was this high profile (the ME is a serial killer) why wouldn't the actual EADA prosecute it?

Plus after they watched that video, why make a deal at all? Why not tell him he will plead guilty to all 3 murders or they will show the video to the jury?

• Love 2
Which makes me wonder, if the case was this high profile (the ME is a serial killer) why wouldn't the actual EADA prosecute it?

Leight couldn't persuade Linus Roache to make a cameo appearance?  :-)

Just kidding. That's a good question. And one we'll never have an answer for.

Dr Yates and the ME were creepiest villians that really belonged on Criminal Minds. Yates really made my skin crawl the actor was great.

I wished that the SUV team called Miami to inquire about similar deaths. A psycho like Carl must have killed there during the years he worked in Miami. Florida does use the death penalty a bit more than New York State.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 2

I think the baby daddy is going to be that 13th stepper AA guy

You need to read the Hollywood Reporter article, I posted it in the Media thread. They did chose between him and another one but they went with the other one.

Heh, I could live with that but my money's still on Amaro.

Nope. Definitely no. Pains me even more KG actually chose not to make him baby daddy. I like it much better when WL gives me something else I can be mad at him for, I can't really be mad at KG though ;)

I agree with Morbid Pet.

But Rollins is doing the most, with the Amaro denials.

Lol well over night I've actually changed my mind. Now I think it will be

Detective Dumas (Winters Jr)

as he will guest star very soon and well WL see chemistry, I just saw him shamelessly flirt with Rollins in the two short scenes they've shared over the years. It would be typically WL to dub that "good chemistry" and I love

Donal Logue

so that probably means I won't see him around, I'm never lucky when it comes to SVU ;)

Oh and I totally forgot to even mention Warner in my last post. How great wasn't it to see Tunie back!? Now that she's

dead

on Red Road I really hope she comes back more often on SVU. I like her a lot.

• Love 3

I'm just here for Kelli/Rollins, so I loved that the premiere was so focused on her.  Plus, I'm all about her partnership with Carisi.  I don't ever want it to take away from the special connection she has with Fin, but he's been a great addition to the cast.  

And ITA that it was nice to see Tamara Tunie back.  Love her.

• Love 3
Now that she's

dead

on Red Road

Red Road got cancelled so that was no longer a factor.

Pains me even more KG actually chose not to make him baby daddy.

Why would that have been her decision? Wah, I want Amaro! That baby would be so pretty with both of their genes.

What else what else... oh what was up with Lewis crazy cupcake lady being in the gallery? She was just there or is she stalking Liv? I didn't get it.

So glad all y'all picked up on her, too! I am catching up on the last few seasons (which, YIKES) and immediately recognized her. I thought maaaaaybe it was just a case of recycling an old actor, as they've done many times, but she was styled the same and in fact wearing the same (or an incredibly similar) dress. Given the convo between Yates and the ME at the very end plus her appearance, it seems obvi one or both of these dudes is going to have a recurring plotline this season like Lewis, and that she will return. Or God, if she's a harbinger of the return of a Lewis plotline itself, I may cry.

I'm glad this creepy ME turned out to be well...truly creepy! When they introduced him last season, I was like, welp, this guy is a weird murder ghost or something...

• Love 2

Given the convo between Yates and the ME at the very end plus her appearance, it seems obvi one or both of these dudes is going to have a recurring plotline this season

Well, Rita already alluded to it that all cases done by Rudnick will be re-opened. And as much as Yates helped the SVU in getting Rudnick, I'm sure that's also in the plan, getting his case re-opened due to Rudnick, psycho that he is. So definitely, this isn't the last we'll see of him.

• Love 1

Those two killers were the creepiest two killers ever! I was mesmerized by the first one and then Rudnick comes along I automatically think Chianti and fava beans (which I haven't drunk or eaten since the movie)...

Yea they creeped me out too! Only one that tops them imo was George Marks from Cold Case. There was a bit of a similarity too with Marks working at the police station in some capacity. The ending of that ep still gives me chills. The one from this episode of SVU comes in at a close second. 

• Love 3

Yates is one scary MF, It might be because his speech and voice is so very calm.

Seriously, even when learning his fiance and unborn child being murdered, he did not change his tenor. And when Rudnick asked him if he can sit with him during lunch, he just shrugged. You'd think a more "normal" person would have already lunged at Rudnick and beat him to a pulp after killing Susie and their child.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 2

Why would that have been her decision? Wah, I want Amaro! That baby would be so pretty with both of their genes.

The E! article made it sound that way but I honestly think WL would have the final say in well almost anything so I dunno if her input had counted had she gone against his wishes. I agree with someone over at Twitter who wrote that Kelli sorta sacrificed her own character to save another one (Nick). She didn't want him to have a third baby mama so instead Amanda continues to get the slut shame (which I find so unjust!) but I agree a Rollaro baby would've just been so perfect in more than the cute department!

• Love 1

Seriously, even when learning his fiance and unborn child being murdered, he did not change his tenor. And when Rudnick asked him if he can sit with him during lunch, he just shrugged. You'd think a more "normal" person would have already lunged at Rudnick and beat him to a pulp after killing Susie and their child.

Speaking of which, in what world does a psycho killer end up not only in the same prison, but eating lunch at the same time as another psycho killer whose wife he killed?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 7

Did Yates set Suzie up? That's the impression I got - that he encouraged her to call Rudnick with the blackmail scheme, knowing she was pregnant with his child. That's why he was so calm about her having died. What a monster.

I was a little weirded out by what was going on with Barba's facial hair. It came. It went. Something is definitely wrong with him - and maybe Calhoun is right about the migraines, but that could easily be a convenient excuse as suggested. We've never seen Barba turn up to work without even bothering to shave. Something is up with him.

Loved Carisi being all sweet and practical with Rollins' pregnancy. He's a good brother figure. I liked the lack of drama from everyone about it - it's just normal life, after all.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 5

Speaking of which, in what world does a psycho killer end up not only in the same prison, but eating lunch at the same time as another psycho killer whose wife he killed?

OMG YES! That's the one thing I totally forgot to post about.  I really don't think that would EVER happen.  Putting the victim's killer and significant other in the same prison is weird enough, nevermind that the fact that Yates essentially dimed on Rudnick and their crimes were somewhat connected.  I would think that's all totally against policy.

• Love 4

This sets up a possible scenario, ripped from the headlines of course, of the cupcake lady becoming a guard at the prison and helping them escape.  

• Love 8

I really liked this episode. Probably because it had a lot of Barba and Carisi in it. I wonder why nothing was made of the fact that Barba told Rollins to go see Yates without clearing with Olivia. It seemed like she picked up on it while Rollins was testifying but I guess that thread was dropped. I love ScruffyBarba,too, but I don't see it leading to anything. Esparza was joking about it on Twitter, so I don't think it was any big deal.

• Love 3

Was the cornoner the internal investigator from The Americans? Wasn't this the second currupt cornoner on L&O-LOCI did one where he used his position to cover up a murder. More Dr Werner.

I get the feeling part of this season will be about putting all the appeal winning freed criminals back in the box and might be the premise for the ever dreaded cross over-Doc goes back to Chicago to go for Detective Hank.

And yes if I want a family drama I'll Ozzie & Harriet.

I don't remember Lewis's cupcake lady situation, but I did wonder why that woman in the courtroom was getting so much camera time.

Could someone remind me about the cupcake incident?

(I'm on a diet and now I'm dying for a cupcake.)

• Love 3

I don't remember Lewis's cupcake lady situation, but I did wonder why that woman in the courtroom was getting so much camera time.

Could someone remind me about the cupcake incident?

(I'm on a diet and now I'm dying for a cupcake.)

She was the jury forewoman in Lewis' trial. During his trial he made a point to address her, probably because she seemed clearly sympathetic to him. When reading the verdict, she made it a point that the jury wanted it "in the record" that they had "serious reservations about the conduct of Sergeant Benson" despite finding Lewis guilty.

She later visited Lewis in jail "every day" and ended up bringing him cupcakes spiked with icing that contained high dosage of anti-anxiety drugs. He had a "heart attack" and went to the hospital; where he managed to escape.

• Love 6

Might I add (and I hate myself for it) that I found Dallas Roberts WILDLY attractive in this episode.  He's obviously a brilliant actor but something about the way they did his hair a lil messy and had him have some stubble made me insanely hot in the pants.  He's also ridiculously talented too, so that might be it.  That last scene, the way he acted/reacted to/spoke with Rudnick was amazing.

• Love 4

It's kind of a shame that SVU is so far off the award shows' radar.  Because both Dallas Roberts and Jefferson Mays would be really strong contenders for Guest Actor Emmys.

In all seriousness, that was one of the best (pair of) episodes the show has done for a long time.  I may be dumb as a stump, because until the dismembered body and the flight in women's clothes I didn't realize that they were doing Robert Durst, but that was Ripped From The Headlines in the way the show used to do it.  I was seriously impressed.  Now, have they done Serial yet?

They need to bring in a fourth detective.  With Amaro gone, the balance seems off.

• Love 3

She was the jury forewoman in Lewis' trial. During his trial he made a point to address her, probably because she seemed clearly sympathetic to him. When reading the verdict, she made it a point that the jury wanted it "in the record" that they had "serious reservations about the conduct of Sergeant Benson" despite finding Lewis guilty.

She later visited Lewis in jail "every day" and ended up bringing him cupcakes spiked with icing that contained high dosage of anti-anxiety drugs. He had a "heart attack" and went to the hospital; where he managed to escape.

Thanks!  Very kind.

I did not become acquainted with cupcake woman.  I hated the whole Lewis trial, with all the testimony about Olivia being written to sound so reasonable.  It made me feel kind of sick, actually, to have any brutalized woman so characterized--I stopped watching until the Final Showdown.

I'm on to her now, though.  Like a junebug!

• Love 3

Just saw this episode as other life events took precedence. It was ... interesting. It was well executed, but there were definitely some clunky parts and I can't say that it made me any more interested in this season than I already was. My biggest problem was that I'm bored with the whole evil super-criminal thing and there were a few too many moments that were reminiscent of the campy SVU era without the charm. Especially the prison meeting at the end. On the bright side we did get good writing for Carisi and it wasn't all Benson all the time (although it does seem that a Noah scene every episode it still mandatory). On balance it probably did it's job as a splashy event to open the season and we just have to hope that they can build on a solid cast and last season's improved writing to go from here.

• Love 2

It's kind of a shame that SVU is so far off the award shows' radar.  Because both Dallas Roberts...would be really strong contenders for Guest Actor Emmys.

I dunno. Dallas Roberts has been in The Good Wife, so maybe someone who matters will notice. He was in Rubicon too, which, while under-appreciated ratings-wise, did also garner some critical acclaim.
  • Love 1

This sets up a possible scenario, ripped from the headlines of course, of the cupcake lady becoming a guard at the prison and helping them escape.

HA HA HA HA this will totally happen. In the span of, like, a week because that's how justice moves in NYC: swiftly! (Not really! Jury selection when you're NOT picked takes longer than these cases!)

• Love 5
I can't believe Rollins is pregnant, but at least it wasn't Amaro's

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

It's been a while and my memory is fuzzy, didn't that idiot Stuckey turn out to be murderer as well?

Yes, and that one was called "Zebras." When Dr. Death said that line I flashed straight back. 

You'd be stressed too if Hannibal set you on fire.

I love how Esparza is so cavalier about the florid Grand Opera On A Tenament Stairwell that is SVU because he's DONE ALL THIS SHIT ALREADY. Drag killer? Bitch, I did that on Criminal Intent. Horridly gross bodies in horridly gross positions? Have you MET ME???

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
I love how Esparza is so cavalier about the florid Grand Opera On A Tenament Stairwell that is SVU because he's DONE ALL THIS SHIT ALREADY. Drag killer? Bitch, I did that on Criminal Intent. Horridly gross bodies in horridly gross positions? Have you MET ME???

I still find it morbidly fascinating that Esparza's CI character was also an ADA, albeit a dead-end one. I still say either Rafael Barba or Kevin Mulrooney were stolen at birth and Mulrooney is Barba's unstable twin! (Hey, this show? It could happen, if just to make Barba more miserable! LOL!)

• Love 1

I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen. Well there's no way that cupcake whore will get away with helping another serial killer escape...

• Love 2

He's not John Ritter's son, but he does look a little like John Ritter.

Right. John Ritter had four kids: Three from his first marriage, Jason Ritter - an actor who was in Parenthood, among other things; Tyler Ritter, who was last seen in the cancelled The McCarthys on CBS, and Carly Ritter. He also had a daughter with his second wife, Amy Yasbeck, named Stella.

Dr Yates and the ME were creepiest villians that really belonged on Criminal Minds. Yates really made my skin crawl the actor was great.

I wished that the SUV team called Miami to inquire about similar deaths. A psycho like Carl must have killed there during the years he worked in Miami. Florida does use the death penalty a bit more than New York State.

New York dropped it again in 2007. I think it is only cops that threaten the death penalty when a state politically drop it, as opposed to having judges throw it out. Those states and nations also normally  politically will try to fight extraditions to places with the death penalty.

While Dallas Roberts is as cute as a button (when not playing creepy Dr. Yates) and is an amazing actor (especially while playing creepy Dr. Yates), he is not related to in any way nor is he the son of John Ritter (R.I.P.)  The erroneous Wikipedia reference to that has apparently since been eliminated (an anonymous user updated the wiki entry 22 days ago as of this writing).  He has also been compared to Val Kilmer in the looks department, albeit a much younger and attractive VK.

Edited by CelticBlackCat