Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm thrilled the Packers won. Don't get me wrong but I will give that QB props for not shitting his pants while out there. To have your first NFL game against Rodgers IN Green Bay? I would be heaving on the side...but that's why I don't play the game.

I normally tolerate Nantz and Romo but after catching a few FOX games this year, I find myself liking that team of announcers better. Anyone is better than Joe Buck....

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Romo is never *not* on my shitlist, but he’s just so extra today.

He says “expecially” and he says “Rodgers will either hand it off or the right or throw to the left”.  And Rodgers … throws to the right. And Romo tries to play it off like wowowowowow I can’t believe Rhule made that call and it’s more like no, you asshat, you really don’t know everything even though everyone blows smoke up your ass.

At one point, Jim Nantz said to Romo, "Tell us more about . . ."  All of America in response:  NOOOOOOOO,

Packers very fortunate to get the win.  Rodgers has been so erratic this year; rather than lack of a #1 WR, i think he's showing his age.  The Packers special teams are so-so, and their defense, which is supposed to be the strength of their team, has had surprising lapses. In the past Rodgers was able to make the plays to overcome that, but it's getting more difficult.  The Packers radio guy (can't tolerate Romo for more than a few minutes at a time) compared the game to having dental work done without Novocain.    

The officials were so concerned about watching the players for signs of concussion they forgot to watch the clock.  The one Patriots TD should have been called back because they got about an extra 3 seconds on the clock.  

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Anyone is better than Joe Buck....

This is a very low bar.

I had to turn off the Pats/GB game, Romo was annoying me even more than usual. He sounded like he downed a case of Red Bulls before the game started, he was even more talky than ever.

59 minutes ago, Calvada said:

their defense, which is supposed to be the strength of their team, has had surprising lapses

Sure.  But 7 of those points they weren't able to even try to prevent.  17 points usually will win you the game in the NFL.

One thing you can trust the Packers to do, however, is look like crap against a second or third string QB.

Chiefs offense looked great, they moved the ball with ease against a good Bucs defense. Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL at the moment and the Chiefs are still explosive even without Tyreek. The Bucs can’t seem to put together a complete game, Brady played his best game of the season tonight but the defense sucked. They are still the favorites in the NFC South but they need to be more consistent and put together a complete game. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am seriously wondering if Tom is regretting unretiring.   Unless the team really starts to gel, this is not a Super Bowl team.   So he came back for what then?

The Steelers are just sad.   I think this is Mike Tomlin's last year.   They need some shaking up.

• Love 2

So John Harbaugh bleats out a word salad answer about why he foolishly left points on the field, then ends with something about “analytics”.  Analytics will lose you more games than win them, buddy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

The Falcons, after going 3 and out on 3 drives in a row, deciding that they didn't need a passing game anyway and just running the ball on, 14 consecutive plays including a touchdown, then just continuing to almost exclusively run for the rest of the game was probably the best coaching adjustment that I've ever seen from this franchise.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

The Falcons, after going 3 and out on 3 drives in a row, deciding that they didn't need a passing game anyway and just running the ball on, 14 consecutive plays including a touchdown, then just continuing to almost exclusively run for the rest of the game was probably the best coaching adjustment that I've ever seen from this franchise.

Ok so I didn’t know all this minutiae about the game, but does this say more about Atlanta finding something that worked, or Cleveland’s apparently complete inability to make adjustments on defense.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I am seriously wondering if Tom is regretting unretiring.

I really don't think Tom Brady will retire until it's patently obvious that he can't play anymore. It's why I didn't think his "retirement" earlier this year was going to stick- he's too competitive a guy to hang up his cleats when he can still go out there and win games. If the Bucs don't want him anymore, he'll just find another team, like he did with the Patriots.

Brady will go out the same way Peyton Manning did- the team wins in spite of him, or the team doesn't win because he's no longer useful. As long as he can go, he'll go.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, mojoween said:

or Cleveland’s apparently complete inability to make adjustments on defense

Cleveland was missing 75% of its defensive line; I don’t know why Atlanta ever threw the ball.

20 hours ago, Carey said:

Yeah, hats off to Andrew Luck getting out when he did.  With Brady there a little bit longer + Mahomes surge, it wasn't going to happen in terms of a title.  That doesn't even factor in the following years with Jackson, Allen, Burrow, etc making noise.

I thought back to Barry Foster.  While I think Pittsburgh in the 90s was closer than Indianapolis was in the past decade, with proper saving & the position Foster played, I think he was okay going forward.  He got his money + a decent life moving forward

If luck stayed with the colts they would very much be in title contention. He was a player that made you a contender every bit as good as mahommes and the others. The divisionn is weak and he'd easily be the best qb in the afc south. 

Now it's hard to predict everything because if he stays the whole draft pucks and how the standings play out are completely different. 

In terms of him retiring I still say he just lost the desire and it had little to do with his physical health. At the time he retired he was healthy......he was claiming some type of foot or ankle issue but no one could find anything  wrong with his foot / ankle at the time.  The Colts OL was great the last year he played. 

No doctor was telling him it was imminent he retire for his health or because of his ankle, put it that way.  Yes he had sustained injuries but he had no major health issues at the time he retired that any doctor could find causing his symptoms. 

I think he just lost the desire to play. Which is fine, up to him. If you are not 100 percent into the game you shouldn't step on the field. But that is different than implying you have to retire for your physical health which is what he did and the impression everyone recalls based on what he said and how he did it.  Yes it's a dangerous game and all players long term have to and should consider the damage it takes. But personally I think he used the injuries as a reason when it was more lack of interest.  

But good for him he made his choices got out healthy and rich.  He has other talents and interests, and is a smart guy I'm sure will be a success post football. 

I don't begrudge him retiring. I just dont like when he did it right before the season or how he did it. 

• Useful 1

Dear networks:  Please quit putting the Buc's games on a Sunday or Monday night.  That's our Achilles heel.  They tend to SUCK when in primetime!!  Of course, Mahomes was on a mission since he got his butt kicked by the Bucs a couple of years ago, so it wasn't unexpected that they came in with guns blazing.  Unfortunately, the Bucs didn't come in with cannons blazing and fumbled 5 seconds into the game.  C'mon, guys!  Get your act together!  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I am seriously wondering if Tom is regretting unretiring.   Unless the team really starts to gel, this is not a Super Bowl team.   So he came back for what then?

The Steelers are just sad.   I think this is Mike Tomlin's last year.   They need some shaking up.

We'll be OK once TJ is back. The o-line will still suck, but the d won't. 

• Love 1

On the catch no catch thing : 

This was a two point conversion last week by the chiefs. Reviewed and stated yes good it's a catch. 

https://www.chiefs.com/video/two-points-patrick-mahomes-finds-travis-kelce-on-two-point-conversion

Now this yesterday was no catch....sorry had wrong video can't find a link

Now tell me why one is a catch and a two point conversion and one is not. 

The rule is if you in the end zone and standing the MOMENT you touch the ball in the end zone its a catch and counts. No matter you then bobbled it, stepped out, knee went down outside the end zone then dropped it going to the ground, fir a split second you're standing in the end zone with the ball it's good

But you catch it, two feet on the ground fall to the ground in the end zone then drop it no good. 

By rule they made the corrects calls no dispute. And the calls did not affect the outcome 

But still look at those one is a good conversion. And the other a drop no TD.  The dropped ball he held onto it much longer than on the verified two point conversion

Edited by DrSpaceman73
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

We'll be OK once TJ is back. The o-line will still suck, but the d won't. 

I'm sorry, but it is just unacceptable when the Defense goes from hero to zero over the absence of one guy

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Dear networks:  Please quit putting the Buc's games on a Sunday or Monday night.  That's our Achilles heel.  They tend to SUCK when in primetime!! 

Well, good, if that holds true, that will be the one thing that makes having Tom Brady in five prime-time games this season (including one on Christmas; thanks a lot for the lump of shit in my stocking, Santa) bearable.

I missed most of the second half, coming back for the final minutes, but watching the Chiefs beat the shit out of the Bucs in the first half was sure fun.  I detest their fans' "tomahawk chop" routine and have a general disinterest in the team, but I really enjoy Patrick Mahomes.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2022 at 11:39 AM, Carey said:
On 9/29/2022 at 10:57 AM, Xeliou66 said:

Chiefs over Buccaneers.  

Kansas City is not being Tampa Bay, period.  Unless they have another threat to fill in the void left by Hill. 

"How do want that payment?  By check, money order, or zelle?!"

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Carey said:

"How do want that payment?  By check, money order, or zelle?!"

Well if it were me, a life-size replica of the Colossus of Rhodes would be enough, but maybe @Xeliou66 would think differently.

Edited by Danielg342
  • LOL 2
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No doctor was telling him it was imminent he retire for his health or because of his ankle, put it that way.  Yes he had sustained injuries but he had no major health issues at the time he retired that any doctor could find causing his symptoms. 

I'd think daily pain is a major health issue. 

• Like 8

Ugly loss by the Rams. The Niners defense made them look silly. Looks like they have to start relying on someone other that Cupp. Where has Robinson been?

Edited by twoods

I think I finally got it right in terms of picking Niners/Rams games (after being wrong for 4 years).  The NFCCG had the potential to go either way, but given the success the former 5-Time Super Bowl champions have had against the reigning champions, this felt rather easy.  Plus it was at home & Los Angeles hasn't been as dominant

• Love 1

Niners win it 24-9. Niners defense dominated the game, they harassed Stafford all night and forced 2 4th quarter turnovers. Garoppolo was solid and the Niners pretty much controlled the game. The Rams have some issues - they’ve got to get other guys besides Kupp involved on offense and their O-Line is shaky. 

• Love 1

Goddamn, Rams.  At this point I still expect them to be in the playoffs, but they have some serious inconsistencies - and consistent problems that will absolutely not survive a post-season - to address.

With all their inabilities this game, I thought the failure to stop SF on 3rd and long with around 10:30 to go in the game was going to be the nail in the coffin, but then they wound up still only down by eight and it was still possible not just on paper but even within the reality of their ineffectual play in this game.  Then came their pick six with 6:30 left.  And everything that happened afterward, yeah, this was going to be a loss, and an ugly one. 

• Love 1

Okay, so now I know why Tom Brady got "work" done over the summer.  It's still questionable, but you have to do what you have to do to be the better looking quarterback during the game on December 11

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I don't dislike the Rams, but I enjoyed watching the Niners spank them. I just can't help but root for Jimmy G. 

I love Jimmy G('s face and body), but my hatred for Nick Bosa overrides everything, so fuck the Niners.

44 minutes ago, Carey said:

Okay, so now I know why Tom Brady got "work" done over the summer.  It's still questionable, but you have to do what you have to do to be the better looking quarterback during the game on December 11

I've always thought Brady was pretty hot, but he'd need a face transplant to be hotter than Garoppolo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I just hope all of the vultures who are going to start circling around them remember that they have kids.  I mean, I know they won’t considering what is STILL going around about his son with Bridget, but one can hope.

And that’s the last nice thing I have in my quiver about Brady.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

"I've always thought Brady was pretty hot, but he'd need a face transplant to have a chance to be hotter than Garoppolo."

Corrected that for you, NUguy.  You're welcome.

20 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I love Jimmy G('s face and body), but my hatred for Nick Bosa overrides everything, so fuck the Niners.

I get the hate for Bosa.  While I don't share it, I totally see it.  Part of why I don't hate the guy is how he boasted & trolled Baker Mayfield three years ago.  That put a smile on my face.  The other thing is the guy can and has hustled.  Definitely a very good player.

What he does or how he is outside of the sport means nothing to me.  Not just him, but that goes for everybody in the NFL and in other sports.  In brief, what you see on the field, court, rink, or course isn't (necessarily) the same as off of it.  If San Francisco wins their sixth superbowl, I'll be happy for Shanahan, Jimmy G, Jed York, and that's about it.  Everyone else?  Meh.

As for the Tom & Gisele stuff nittany cougar posted, I don't know what to think.  In general it is sad, since it may have been at the point where it was "Til death do us part" given how long they were together.  The fact that two juggernauts were a married couple for that long is amazing.  I guess it is what it is, plus Brady playing until further notice.

I don't know how credible Page Six is (compared to TMZ and the like) but might as well prolong the inevitable.  I'm not Tom Brady or close to it, but if my wife said you have to quit in order to stay married, I'd be the one pursuing divorce (right away).  No one should be quitting what they love to do, especially when it's legal and resulting in a lot of money AND if you're doing it at a prime level

• Love 3

I don’t know, I would side with the wife who did have husband say he was going to retire so he can be with his family, then have husband un-retire for who knows whatever reason. He has won more championships than any active player, so what does he have left to play for? He has more money than he will ever need and had a ton of money waiting for him with his broadcasting contract. I don’t blame her at all for thinking “Enough. He’s never placed his family above his own needs so I’m done with him.”

Edited by twoods
  • Love 13
24 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t know, I would side with the wife who did have husband say he was going to retire so he can be with his family, then have husband un-retire for who knows whatever reason. He has won more championships than any active player, so what does he have left to play for? He has more money than he will ever need and had a ton of money waiting for him with his broadcasting contract. I don’t blame her at all for thinking “Enough. He’s never placed his family above his own needs so I’m done with him.”

From what I've seen, Gisele, who also has a career that she is going to age out of, has turned down jobs and opportunities in order to keep the household running and take care of the kids.  She isn't going to be in demand as a model forever, either.  It sounds to  me like she had some business opportunities that she planned to pursue once he retired and now those plans are back on hold for at least another year, if not gone forever.  He unretired once, I can see her feeling it is unfair that she has to put her career on the back burner yet again when the clock is ticking for her, too.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Tom and Gisele have both talked about how much Gisele gave up to be the primary parent while Tom played football. Gisele has talked about her concerns for Tom's health. Tom promised to retire when he turned 45. That lasted 40 days. If I were his spouse, that would pretty much signal to me that football was more important to him than me or his family, fair or not.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Evie said:

Tom and Gisele have both talked about how much Gisele gave up to be the primary parent while Tom played football. Gisele has talked about her concerns for Tom's health. Tom promised to retire when he turned 45. That lasted 40 days. If I were his spouse, that would pretty much signal to me that football was more important to him than me or his family, fair or not.

I think Tom said he wanted to play until he was 45, and this season is his 45-year old season.  The retiring/unretiring thing was not cool (and I was actually pissed about it when it started BTW).  However, that 40-day stretch was a time when Brady was still 44.

Anyway, that aside, you can't flip flop like that in a marriage.  I don't know whether the following would've led to a separation, but TB12 would've been better off being a man and saying he's playing this year.  He's under contract & doesn't want to bail.  Just tell the truth; be honest.

BTW, I thought Gisele was done in terms of her career.  She's made a ton herself.  I don't know how much more that would've changed for a 42-year old.  At the end of the day, I guess a baby-sitter wasn't in the cards.

So, while I said what I said, I would have to side with the wife here if the husband flip-flopped.  But I'd do the opposite if the dude was forthcoming.  It might work; it might not.  While it's easier said than done, take the chance

• Love 1
3 hours ago, twoods said:

I don’t know, I would side with the wife who did have husband say he was going to retire so he can be with his family, then have husband un-retire for who knows whatever reason.

I'm wondering if something happened between them once he retired that made him rethink his situation and un-retire.  Maybe something has been brewing for months. 

I feel bad for her if she was expecting him to be there so that she could pursue her projects, but I could see his point of view if she gave him an ultimatum about retiring.  We'll probably never know the truth, so it's pretty much all speculation.  It would be frustrating if she was doing the heavy lifting at home while he pursued his passion of football, and if there wasn't any consideration of her feelings.  It's a tough situation.  Hopefully the kids will be okay throughout this.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Mike Tomlin may have a shit team this year (and I would never actually *root* for Pittsburgh in any way), but the way he described the reason they went with Pickett was the kindest way he could have ever talked about the underperforming Trubisky.

• Love 3

If Gisele Bundchen has issues with Tom Brady now, they likely came just recently. Perhaps she was just keeping up with appearances, but on Tom's birthday- August 3- Gisele wrote a length love letter to Brady on her Instagram.

To be honest, this feels like a situation where I really can see both sides of it. If the rumours and innuendo are true, Gisele is right to want the father of their children in their lives a bit more often and Tom is definitely right to want to continue to play football. They're just not seeing eye to eye anymore and that happens, unfortunately.

The only thing that really gets me about all this is that I'm probably certain that Gisele knows Tom better than I do. I'm sure she knows- as what I believe- that Tom will never hang up his cleats as long as he's still a useful player having success in the NFL. He's just too competitive a player to leave another chance at a Super Bowl on the table.

Unless there's something about Tom that Gisele knows that I don't, I don't see how she could be at all surprised that Tom is back in the NFL this season (and will likely be back next season too).

Perhaps Tom made a promise to Gisele to spend more time with the kids (hence his "retirement") but then Gisele told him that he can go back to football and they'll figure out a schedule that works (which is why Tom was away from the Bucs during training camp). Perhaps the two of them thought the compromise could work and now they realize it doesn't.

I do hope they sort things out amicably because the failure of a marriage is always a sad situation. It doesn't need to get any sadder.

• Like 1

Mike Tomlin has a shit team, period.  I have to put time & effort toward a decent, substantial post about it, so I'm not going to rant on it here.  Might be fitting to do it on Sunday/Monday.

A reason (or reasons) why the problem is what it is is due to being cheap, inconsistency, and procrastination at a level similar to a school student waiting until the eleventh hour to complete a paper or prep for an exam.  The pass the man gets is too extreme and that's the frustration amongst the fans of Pittsburgh.

The best chance right now of his exit being sooner rather than later is if the records show how bad it is.  It needs to be very, very bad both in 2022 and in 2023

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Mike Tomlin may have a shit team this year (and I would never actually *root* for Pittsburgh in any way), but the way he described the reason they went with Pickett was the kindest way he could have ever talked about the underperforming Trubisky.

Edited to clarify whose post I was responding to as Danielg's post showed up outta nowhere right before mine which would've been just under mojoween's reply

I don't think Tom's divorce will be messy.  Remember how things went with Bridget.  There was no court case.  They quietly worked out custody and child support.  Any disagreements were kept private.  No "sources close to" were leaking things to the tabloids.

Tom may know since he is a public figure do is his family but that does not mean he will hand the tabs anything to use if he can help it.

20 hours ago, Carey said:

Tom Brady could get a new face and still not look better than Jimmy G.

• Applause 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I don't think Tom's divorce will be messy.  Remember how things went with Bridget.  There was no court case.  They quietly worked out custody and child support.  Any disagreements were kept private.  No "sources close to" were leaking things to the tabloids.

Tom and Bridget weren't married.  There were no assets to be divided.  When money comes into play things can get messy quickly.  

1 hour ago, Carey said:

The best chance right now of his exit being sooner rather than later is if the records show how bad it is.  It needs to be very, very bad both in 2022 and in 2023

The Steelers have had three coaches in 53 years. His record through last year is 154-85 with 2 ties for a winning percentage of .643.   We knew this year was going to suck.  I think they can turn things around next year.

• Love 5