Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

So Rihanna is headlining Super Bowl LVII this season.  At the end of the season.  I think that is a pleasant surprise.  Last week, when news of Apple taking over from Pepsi broke, one of the first things I thought was that Taylor Swift would finally become eligible to perform in the Super Bowl Halftime Show.  Before I got around to it, there was an announcement that she was actually chosen to do that.  It was rather quick, and really obvious.

However, it appears that was just glorified speculation for that reason that she was no longer prohibited.  I guess the NFL might have her wait a year.  Sort of like a new stadium having to go through a year, a full season before it hosts a super bowl.  It would be fitting if Swift get the halftime show for Super Bowl 58; it'd be a CBS year, and the grammys are on CBS, which is likely to land on 02/04/2024, one week before SB LVIII

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

There was a reason the 49ers were willing to go with the unproven Jimmy G.  

But boy was last night an exercise in nepotism.  This is why minority coaches can't get a foot in the door, they aren't related to other coaches in the League.    A mediocre white guy who is the son of an NFL coach will be preferred to a good minority coach.   

It took me a moment to realize that you might not be flaming Kyle Shanahan but describing both coaches in the game, lol.

NFL 2022 Slogan: Is any team actually good and how the fuck is it Philly and Miami?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But boy was last night an exercise in nepotism.  This is why minority coaches can't get a foot in the door, they aren't related to other coaches in the League.    A mediocre white guy who is the son of an NFL coach will be preferred to a good minority coach.   

Bomani Jones charted all of the nepotism links in the NFL, and it is probably worse than you guessed. (It was for me.)

And last week, the Washington Post did a great, and depressing, series on how the NFL's efforts on diversity in the coaching ranks are failing.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I think it's kind of funny that the Cowboy catchphrase "How bout them Cowboys!" is from a coach that the owner drove out of town almost three decades ago and they have not had that level of success since.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Bomani Jones charted all of the nepotism links in the NFL

"Now, I know -- this looks like some QAnon shit, right?"

That was great; my favorite was his response to Chris Simms's "family business" nonsense:  The Sopranos is a family business.  Coaching is not.  You don't pull up to the stadium and see a big ol' neon sign that says "Belichick and Sons".

I also love him showing the win percentage is the same for legacy hires as for all the other guys so we need to "stop talking about these guys as if their DNA has the secret recipe for when to go for two".

And LOL at the ad for Rob and Rex Ryan School For Real-Ass Jobs

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

And last week, the Washington Post did a great, and depressing, series on how the NFL's efforts on diversity in the coaching ranks are failing.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that everyone read that.  It's laid out exceptionally well, and examines the numerous barriers to NFL positions for Black coaches, including showing how the issues that seem not to be race related are, surprise!, related to race (whether in cause and/or effect).  It's an excellent piece of journalism.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

What a boring game.

Now that the Bills have lost all their safeties and corners, they need to score 40 points a game to even have a chance since their D is going to get smoked. Good luck to them.

I also read that all the NFL got a memo that if anyone breaks a tablet there will be a fine. All because of one baby who can’t keep his shit together. They should have fined him to begin with, instead of ignoring it and sending a memo out for future tantrums.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Joe Buck and Troy Homer Aikman can fuck right the fuck off.

I hate Joe Buck - he would never have made it as an announcer if his daddy wasn’t a big name announcer, he’ll dull as dirt, he’s just an ultimate nepotism case, and Aikman is rather dull as well and yeah he has a pro Cowboy bias, always has and him and Buck called a lot of Dallas games on FOX. I’m so glad they will not be getting the Super Bowl anymore.

• Love 4

Nice win for the Cowboys - 2-0 now with Cooper Rush at QB, he’s doing well. The NFC East is always wild and wacky, but I have to think the Eagles and Cowboys are the favorites, I don’t trust the Giants, Jones is kind of a turnover machine, and their O-Line doesn’t appear to have improved at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Joe Buck and Troy Homer Aikman can fuck right the fuck off.

I don't know who I hate more, Joe Buck or Tony Romo. My own personal hell would be being forced to listen to them call a game together.

• LOL 6
16 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I don't know who I hate more, Joe Buck or Tony Romo. My own personal hell would be being forced to listen to them call a game together.

I actually love Romo - he’s one of the few analysts who really adds to the game with his knowledge and charisma IMO, and him and Jim Nantz play well off of each other, they’re my favorite announcing pair. Joe Buck is horrid - he never shows any excitement and I don’t think he gives a fuck about the games he’s calling or sports in general. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

We watch Peyton and Eli, and I learn more football from them than any other announcers while being highly entertained in the process.

If you want to play a drinking game every time Tony Romo said something obvious, make sure your affairs are in order before the game starts.  I think my favorite will remain “if team x can score touchdowns while holding their opponent to field goals, they might have a chance to win this game.”  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Nice win for the Cowboys

Again, no such thing.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I don't know who I hate more, Joe Buck or Tony Romo.

For me, it's Tony Romo.  If Romo spoke 50% less, it would be Joe Buck, because Romo has far more useful things to say than Buck, but he surrounds it with nonstop obvious and/or useless chatter, winding up more annoying than the guy who adds less insight but doesn't sound like he drank a case of Red Bull before the game and mis-read his contract to think he gets paid by the word.

(Romo would still be unbearable calling a Cowboys game, just like Aikman, but in general.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I'd probably hate Joe & Troy more if I didn't have the option for Peyton & Eli and Kevin & Kurt.  Couple that with the fact that for the most part the MNF booth had been a total dumpster fire for the six seasons preceding this one AND following Mike and Jon

Heard on the radio this morning that Tampa Bay will be practicing in Miami this week at the stadium and there is a good chance the TB/Chiefs game will be at Minnesota at US Bank stadium.

Where are Vikings on Sunday? London!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Popples said:

They should have done this ages ago.

I know the game itself is chintzy (just about every all-star game is), but I still think they should play an actual game. The allure of an all-star game is to see the "best of the best" go at it, and I think we need to find a way to make it work instead of discarding the idea altogether.

I've always thought an All-Star Game would be a great way to start a season as opposed to staging it midweek or at the end of the season. You're less likely to run into players complaining they're too banged up to play because they've hardly played to at that point. The only question would be what do you do with retired players, because I doubt they would be revved up about the idea of having to return for just one game after having last played a competitive game months ago, but maybe the allure of a grand send-off would be enough.

The other thing would be accepting that an ASG is an exhibition game anyway. I don't think we should be expecting playoff level or even regular season level intensity for a game like this. This should really be about having as much fun as possible. So I say lean on that.

How that would look I don't know but I still say "play the game".

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I know the game itself is chintzy (just about every all-star game is), but I still think they should play an actual game. The allure of an all-star game is to see the "best of the best" go at it, and I think we need to find a way to make it work instead of discarding the idea altogether.

I've always thought an All-Star Game would be a great way to start a season as opposed to staging it midweek or at the end of the season. You're less likely to run into players complaining they're too banged up to play because they've hardly played to at that point. The only question would be what do you do with retired players, because I doubt they would be revved up about the idea of having to return for just one game after having last played a competitive game months ago, but maybe the allure of a grand send-off would be enough.

The other thing would be accepting that an ASG is an exhibition game anyway. I don't think we should be expecting playoff level or even regular season level intensity for a game like this. This should really be about having as much fun as possible. So I say lean on that.

How that would look I don't know but I still say "play the game".

No one is going to want to play another game before the season and take the chance of injury. 

I'm fine with a flag football game. Not ideal but I understand in football it's just too risky playing a full contact game

I never watch anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

People that have actually played the game, if not been involved with the health & safety of the game, mainly PT folks, are going to have a better, more legit take on whether football or hockey is more brutal/tougher.

I talked to someone probably about a half decade ago, and he gave me a great take along with reasoning as to why hockey is a tougher sport when it comes to wear & tear.  It was a combination of "agree to disagree" & "Yeah, I think I can see why it can be more brutal than football"

The NHL still has its all-star game.  Now, a lot of veterans don't participate in it for various reasons.  Now it's 3 on 3 I think, so they've managed to lessen the game while making it entertaining.

Good on the NFL for still trying to make things entertaining & lessen it.  I guess I'll have to hold true judgement until after the Pro Bowl Games come & go.  As DrSpaceman73 pointed out, whether it's at the start of the year, mid-season, or the end, participation is going to be a no go.  From the players to the coaches and from management & front office to ownership, they're not risking anything on meaningless competition.  Plus they're not going to emulate the crap MLB did to force it toward meaningful competition.

The roster stuff is great.  Glad they're sticking to that.  Not to knock on Jameis Winston, but it was laughable when he played in the 2016 Pro Bowl.  Just an example; it took a ton for him to make it.  Now, you're no longer going to see down the liners as Pro Bowlers ever again

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

The allure of an all-star game is to see the "best of the best" go at it, and I think we need to find a way to make it work instead of discarding the idea altogether.

I just don't think that works for professional football, in today's era, the way it does for, say, baseball. Too much of offense and defense is dependent on guys playing together as a unit and being familiar with the system being used. QBs have to develop timing with their receivers. An effective OL works together. Plays have to be installed through repetitive practice so people understand their assignments. And that's all before we get into the "business decisions" players will make not to go all out. The idea that we were seeing the best of the best go at it in any meaningful sense was an illusion, IMO.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I actually love Romo - he’s one of the few analysts who really adds to the game with his knowledge and charisma IMO, and him and Jim Nantz play well off of each other, they’re my favorite announcing pair. Joe Buck is horrid - he never shows any excitement and I don’t think he gives a fuck about the games he’s calling or sports in general. 

I find Joe to be more animated when calling baseball games especially when he has a man crush on a player.  He was horrid when calling the 2016 World Series.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I've not watched 10 minutes cumulatively of Pro Bowls in my life. I won't miss it.

Still 10 minutes more than the time spent watching the 2022 preseason!

Ditto (about missing it).  More recently for sure, but since Day one, it's just been background music.  It still did okay in ratings, but at the end of the day? Glorified bleach!

• Love 1
On 9/26/2022 at 10:00 AM, Popples said:

They should have done this ages ago.

Ironically, the last time that NFL had a flag football game at the Pro Bowl, rookie RB Robert Edwards absolutely destroyed his knee, it was so bad that the doctors almost decided to amputate the leg and everyone thought his career was over at the time.

Granted that game was played on sand, which probably contributed to the injury, but still it's a dangerous sport and guys that big and just jumping, running, and cutting are always going to have injury risks.

Edwards did manage to make a comeback years later and played 1 more season in the NFL as a backup before having a couple of really good seasons in the CFL.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Useful 2

My favorite was Peyton announcing he is coaching the AFL side for the flag football game;  he said he’s been coaching one of his kids teams for flag football and the incredulity in Eli’s voice when they showed Peyton at a kids practice talking about their walkthrough was priceless and hysterical.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I saw a TikTok of Shannon Sharpe making some extremely good points about Brett Sleazeball Favre, and it really felt like Skip Bayless could have just kept his lips shut for two minutes.

Please don't tell me Bayliss was defending Favre.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

He actually wasn’t.  He was mostly agreeing with Shannon, but the noises he was making while doing so felt obtrusive.

Any noise of any varietal Skip Bayless makes for any reason feels obtrusive.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I've not watched 10 minutes cumulatively of Pro Bowls in my life. I won't miss it.

We used to watch it many years ago when it seemed to mean something to the players.  We gave up on it a long time ago and don't miss it either.  

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I saw a TikTok of Shannon Sharpe making some extremely good points about Brett Sleazeball Favre, and it really felt like Skip Bayless could have just kept his lips shut for two minutes.

I'm still kind of floored at what Favre is accused of doing. Taking money, welfare money, that was earmarked for underfunded public schools to build a volleyball facility at his daughter's rich, private college? And then trying to do it again for a football facility. It's sickening. It's just so slimy.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm still kind of floored at what Favre is accused of doing. Taking money, welfare money, that was earmarked for underfunded public schools to build a volleyball facility at his daughter's rich, private college? And then trying to do it again for a football facility. It's sickening. It's just so slimy.

It’s appalling, but I’ve always found Favre to be extremely unlikable, so I’m really not surprised he’s a steaming turd.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, emma675 said:

When I heard about this I thought yep not surprised at all. He has done other shitty things and always manged to shrug them off.   Which I never understood because

16 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

It’s appalling, but I’ve always found Favre to be extremely unlikable, so I’m really not surprised he’s a steaming turd.

What @Xeliou66 said. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 4

Myles Garrett was the driver in a single-car rollover crash yesterday afternoon (no impairment is suspected), and has been released from the hospital.  The Browns said today he sprained his shoulder and bicep and sustained minor lacerations and bruises. He has cleared the NFL’s concussion protocol (like that's hard), but his status for Sunday’s game is not yet known:

“Currently, our focus is on providing Myles the medical care needed for him to return to football activity,” said Andrew Berry, Browns executive vice president and general manager. “Although we hope to have him back soon, his availability for Sunday’s game in Atlanta will be evaluated by team doctors throughout the week.”

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

MIchael Irvin is insufferable PERIOD.   As Deon Sanders once said when Irvin was homering for the Cowboys "You're probably wearing Cowboy underwear right now."

Why the NFL network keeps him I have no clue.   He contributes nothing to actual analysis and is just loud and obnoxious.   but that seems to be what they like to do on the Sunday Morning Show.   I've stopped watching it because its just Irvin and Mooch doing loud schticks.  

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Why the NFL network keeps him I have no clue.   He contributes nothing to actual analysis and is just loud and obnoxious. 

His list of "controversies" is almost as long as his list of on field statistics.  Whenever I hear or see his name I think of the controversies.  He is not a good guy.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 1:48 PM, emma675 said:

I haven't watched the Pro Bowl in years and I totally understand why the players don't want to risk it. But a flag football game? Why even bother having a game at all? It seems pointless. 

I don't watch those sorts of shows in ANY sport.  Don't watch MLB or NHL All-Star games.  As far as I'm concerned,  it's just another opportunity for season ending injuries. 

If Tampa Bay/ Kansas City can't play in Tampa on Sunday, then the game will be in Minnesota. The TB stadium might not be available on Sunday because it's being used as a staging area for emergency vehicles and the power company.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

If Tampa Bay/ Kansas City can't play in Tampa on Sunday, then the game will be in Minnesota. The TB stadium might not be available on Sunday because it's being used as a staging area for emergency vehicles and the power company.

My understanding is that the emergency stadium would be Hard Rock before Raymond James Stadium.  I haven't heard of anything that confirms the use of the stadium in Tampa, which might have its own issues.  The league is going to want to play the game there as scheduled if it's safe enough to operate.  However, Miami would be the best place to help out in such a difficult time.

Honestly, it would make sense.  There's little-to-no chance things are going to be ready in time for a big game, and the NFL would prefer not to push the game back a couple days, especially with another option.  I imagine we'll know by Friday.  FWIW, the league pushed a game back (also involving Kansas City) from morning to night early in 2017 over much less weather conditions with south of 48 hours notice

that game is not being played on Sunday in Tampa even if the stadium is not being used for emergency personnel and is in good shape.   The roads are going to be closed and people will be urged to stay home.   

I heard the Minnesota thing too.   Closer for the Chiefs to travel but farther for the Bucs.   I don't see Miami being used because that city was affected by Ian too and is also being used as a staging area for clean up efforts (yes its a hike from Tampa but it is outside the continued path).

Here’s my predictions and preview of Week 4

Bengals over Dolphins.  
Vikings over Saints. 
Browns over Falcons   
Cowboys over Commanders. 
Lions over Seahawks.  
Colts over Titans. 
Giants over Bears.  
Eagles over Jaguars. 
Steelers over Jets.  
Bills over Ravens.  
Chargers over Texans.  
Cardinals over Panthers. 
Packers over Patriots. 
Broncos over Raiders.  
Chiefs over Buccaneers.  
Rams over 49ers

Best games this week are the Thursday night, Sunday night and Monday night games, along with Bills/Ravens, which should be the late afternoon game Sunday instead of Pats/Packers. A lot of intriguing matchups.