Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

@meowmommy  I'm not saying I agree with the reasoning, I'm just saying that was Disney's reasoning in conjunction with the NFL.   I don't think Disney could have pushed back too much.   The NFL has LOVED the idea of MNF double headers for a while.   So I think that was one of the requirements of the bid.   Disney then had to figure it out.   

I remember when games started at 9 p.m.   When they got pushed back to 8:20 the West Coast complained about the start time during rush hour.   But the East Coast complained about being up until after midnight.   Nobody was ever going to be happy with the time.

9 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Well Magog was right--for this game. I think Philadelphia was way better than anyone was expecting. I'm probably not the only one still in the mindset that the NFC East is easy to beat.

The Eagles made the playoffs last year...the Vikings did not.

The Eagles also upgraded in several positions.

Well, they're close to being complete.  Their offensive line isn't elite, so any run game might be impacted due to that.

We're still early in the year, and anything can happen.  For instance, Miami could be Kansas City's plant.  To explain, they might be able to knock the Bills down to where the Chiefs once again end up finishing ahead of Buffalo.  Though it does help that KC has to travel to Tampa.

It's currently looking like Buffalo vs Tampa, where a total BS scenario plays out with Josh Allen not being 100% due to his style.  Still a threat, but yet another break as TB12 gets a limited version of a dominant team on their way to a 3rd title.

Basically, I often think back to what Phil Jackson said as it related to Michael Jordan, his dominance, and the lack of role players.  Phil pretty much said, Mike can be Mike, but it helps to have other threats to take the focus off of the GOAT and respect other people.  The rest was history.  I think it'll help a ton if they establish a run game.  Their defense is really rolling so far.  However, if Josh gets hurt, it's not going to matter

16 hours ago, Carey said:

In addition, the Eagles played at home on a Monday night.  Kirk can't hack it in the dark

I heard somebody the other day say that Kirk Cousins is like Garfield. He hates Mondays. 

16 hours ago, shoregirl said:

The Eagles made the playoffs last year...the Vikings did not.

The Eagles also upgraded in several positions.

The 2021 Eagles beat like one decent team and lost to all of the other good ones on their schedule. But it helped them get a feel for winning, and they did put a lot of effort into upgrading the roster.

They have an excellent offensive line; they traded for an excellent wide receiver; they are extremely good at running the ball. The entire difference between the (healthy) Eagles offense being good and it being capable of winning playoff games falls on Jalen Hurts being as good as he's been so far this year.

• Love 1

Tonight's Thursday Night Game features the 24-Time Division Champs in the Pittsburgh Steelers on the road against the 1989 AFC Central Champs in the Cleveland Browns.

Cleveland is favored by 3.5, and the O/U is 38.5.  I probably would take the Steelers & the points with a full week to prepare and/or with a healthy Watt.  For some reason I moved to that against New England even though I originally wrote down Pats covering.  I picked NE to win the game regardless, and FWIW, the line moved & things were a push.

I'm going to go with the Browns covering.  Whether it's by a lot or not depends on how their depth is.  The Steelers are struggling a ton on offense, and with the travel on a short week, I don't think there's time to fix that.  No TJ to stop Chubb.  I'll go with the under.  Tonight's game could be over quick.  Not saying via blowout necessarily, just that if the Browns run it, it could be over before 11:00.  So they could score under 25 (at least 16) but Pittsburgh likely will not be able to get to 15-20 range

I know what the league claims but these Cleveland browns were not the 1989 afc central Champs. That was the Ravens. 

The semantics of it all was just to make it seem like Baltimore fans aren't hypocrites for stealing the Browns after whining about the colts leaving  for over a decade. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

Here are my predictions and preview for NFL Week 3

Browns over Steelers. 
Texans over Bears. 
Titans over Raiders. 
Chiefs over Colts. 
Bills over Dolphins. 
Vikings over Lions. 
Ravens over Patriots. 
Bengals over Jets. 
Eagles over Commanders. 
Panthers over Saints. 
Chargers over Jaguars. 
Rams over Cardinals. 
Seahawks over Falcons. 
Buccaneers over Packers.  
49ers over Broncos.  
Cowboys over Giants 

This is a very good week, a lot of intriguing matchups. I wish that either Bills/Dolphins, Rams/Cards and/or Packers/Bucs was a prime time game, those games are much better than Niners/Broncos and Cowboys/Giants. But there are a lot of interesting matchups this week - Rodgers vs Brady is always a big game, and the Bills/Fins game is huge in the AFC East and should be fun. Titans/Raiders is interesting as the loser will start 0-3 and that’s a massively disappointing start for either of those teams. And Lions/Vikings in kind of interesting also, the Lions are much improved and I’m still not quite sure how strong the Vikings are.

38 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Titans/Raiders is interesting as the loser will start 0-3 and that’s a massively disappointing start for either of those teams.

I may have said this before the season started, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself, I'm not shocked that the Raiders are off to a rough start. The new HC runs a complicated offense and DC Patrick Graham runs a complicated defense. 

It's a lot for the players to take in and start playing at full speed, and the Raiders are doing it on both sides of the ball. They'll get better as the year goes along, but it sure would help if they don't dig too deep a hole before they do.

42 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Bengals over Jets. 

There were a couple of tempting games for my survival pool this week. I just can't see the Bengals going to 0-3 with a loss to the Jets this week, so this is my game.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I never have any desire to root for Pittsburgh, but I am suddenly finding a desire to wave around a yellow towel.  JUST THIS ONCE.

Just don't step on it when things don't work out tonight

50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I never have any desire to root for Pittsburgh, but I am suddenly finding a desire to wave around a yellow towel.  JUST THIS ONCE.

They're my best friend's favorite team, and I like Mike Tomlin, so with Big Rapist gone it's nice to be able to root for them in solidarity with her or if they're playing a team I hate, so, yes, despite my grumbling about the Thursday night games only available via streaming, I am minutes away from being all in for the Steelers for an evening.

• Love 2

Just went on Amazon, and it asked me the same question it asked last week, did I want to watch live or from the beginning.  Despite asking to watch from the beginning, it once again dropped me into the middle of the live action.

I'll wait for the replay on NFLN at 9:15.

• Love 2

GF went out after work tonight, so I was going around looking for something to watch. I thought I'd put on the game, then remembered it was on Amazon. I watched a few other things, then after an hour or so remember 'I have Amazon Prime!' and I just put the game on. We don't watch a ton of stuff there, so I didn't even think to put it on until now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

They're my best friend's favorite team, and I like Mike Tomlin, so with Big Rapist gone it's nice to be able to root for them in solidarity with her or if they're playing a team I hate, so, yes, despite my grumbling about the Thursday night games only available via streaming, I am minutes away from being all in for the Steelers for an evening.

I wish you would stop with the big rapist comments.  It’s not truthful or funny.

• Applause 1

Decent Thursday night game, the Steelers offense got completely shut down in the second half. I think it is only a matter of time before Pickett replaces Trubisky, and the Steelers have some very difficult games coming up and I don’t trust Trubisky to get any better. The Browns have a good team and should be 3-0, their rushing attack was great and Brissett is doing a decent job as a game manager QB, they are in good position in the AFC North.

Jerry Jones needs better handlers.  So far this week he’s called Jalen Hurts “Hurd” and Cooper Rush “Kupp”.

Also why do we hear this much chatter from a team owner/GM?  We don’t hear this much babble from the other teams, not even Kraft.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:
9 hours ago, 6Lombardis said:

I wish you would stop with the big rapist comments.  It’s not truthful or funny.

It's not funny precisely because it's truthful.

Well, he's not on the team anymore.  I'm more focused toward those that are there, not people that aren't there

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Also why do we hear this much chatter from a team owner/GM?  We don’t hear this much babble from the other teams, not even Kraft.

Because Jerry Jones is a narcissist who needs the spotlight to keep existing.   Which there's the solution the Gm problem right there.   Stephen has shown a modicum of intelligence and might not take over as GM when it is his turn.    

Tomlin has never had a losing season.   that might change this year.    Trubisky is NOT the answer.

• Love 2
Just now, merylinkid said:

Tomlin has never had a losing season.   that might change this year.    Trubisky is NOT the answer.

Other than the bye week, where it may be too late, if there was ever a time to make a change, this would be the week.

Trubisky is not the answer, but Pickett changes nothing.  As long as Matt Canada is employed and in the OC role, it's nothing but failure for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

One of the problems Pittsburgh has is that they procrastinate like a champ.  Sure their culture is great.  Sure their standards are okay.  Though not really since the original one hasn't been reached in a very, very, long time.  The fact is, there is no urgency towards making moves toward achieving the ultimate success.  The only urgency is slopping together 8-9 wins to preserve years where you have never have more losses than wins.  Getting to the playoffs is the current goal.  Not even winning ONE game, just getting there.  That has to suck if you're a spectator.

Other than local media, Colin Cowherd, who has more or less "disrespected" the Steelers (not in a derogatory way, just not really praising them when SteelerNation thinks it's warranted i.e. 11-0 to 12-5), said that they're slow to adapt to the current era.  They went all in to get Kenny Pickett, who was built to play right away.  Then they don't even give him a chance for the starting job, but the person they inserted, Mitch, well, it's not exciting.

One more thing I'll say.  There's a "next man up" staffer in Mike Sullivan, who I think is better fit for the spot over Matt Canada.  If a move were to be made today or this weekend, he'd be the guy.  I'd prefer they look on the outside for people that are much, much better.  My concern is that rather than seeing what you have with Sullivan, they'll wait until 2023 to promote him.  Then if it doesn't work out, the Steelers will say it was his first year, meaning they'll bring back what didn't work for the full 2024 season before parting ways.

As a result, nothing more than blah by mid-decade.  Before the offense gets better, if ever, TJ Watt will be old, Cam Hayward will be old, Minkah may not be as dymanic.  You've wasted prime years on the defensive side.  It would help to have decency on both sides, but when you don't, you cannot achieve success

22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know what the league claims but these Cleveland browns were not the 1989 afc central Champs. That was the Ravens. 

My favorite game!

The Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers, not to be confused with the Houston Texans, who were birthed from nothing.

The Los Angeles Rams were the Los Angeles Rams until they moved to St. Louis as the Rams, which are not the Cardinals, who moved from St. Louis to Arizona.

The Las Vegas Raiders were the Oakland Raiders until they became the Los Angeles Raiders and then the Oakland Raiders.

And the saddest lament of all - the Los Angeles Chargers used to be the San Diego SUPER CHARGERS! until they abandoned Southern California.  Alas.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My favorite game!

The Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers, not to be confused with the Houston Texans, who were birthed from nothing.

The Los Angeles Rams were the Los Angeles Rams until they moved to St. Louis as the Rams, which are not the Cardinals, who moved from St. Louis to Arizona.

The Las Vegas Raiders were the Oakland Raiders until they became the Los Angeles Raiders and then the Oakland Raiders.

And the saddest lament of all - the Los Angeles Chargers used to be the San Diego SUPER CHARGERS! until they abandoned Southern California.  Alas.

And not to confuse these Houston Texans with the dallas Texans of the afl who moved to kc and became the chiefs. 

ALSO not the Dallas Texans of the nfl who lasted one season moved like 3 times and who assetts when it collapsed were awarded to the Baltimore colts. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

The only thing Skeletor loves more than winning is the sound of his own voice. Since they haven't been winning much, he has to talk more...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Carey said:

Getting to the playoffs is the current goal.  Not even winning ONE game, just getting there.  That has to suck if you're a spectator.

As a Steeler fan I would rather they not make the playoffs than lose in the first round.   Two years ago losing to Cleveland was brutal. I turned it off after five mins.  And last year losing to KC, while expected, still sucked.  As much as I love my team I don't watch them when they are not playing well.  It ruins my mood and I have better things to do with my time.  

36 minutes ago, Carey said:

As a result, nothing more than blah by mid-decade.  Before the offense gets better, if ever, TJ Watt will be old, Cam Hayward will be old, Minkah may not be as dymanic.  You've wasted prime years on the defensive side.  It would help to have decency on both sides, but when you don't, you cannot achieve success

Also they will have a hard time keeping good players.  Players want to win championships and if they have the chance to leave and go somewhere where they can win a championship they will.  

38 minutes ago, Carey said:

They went all in to get Kenny Pickett, who was built to play right away.  Then they don't even give him a chance for the starting job, but the person they inserted, Mitch, well, it's not exciting.

He was a Heisman finalist drafted in the first round and he is sitting on the bench.  I don't get it.  It would be one thing if Ben was still our QB and Pickett was watching him and learning how to win as an NFL QB.  Pickett ain't learning anything from Trubisky.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Because Jerry Jones is a narcissist who needs the spotlight to keep existing.   Which there's the solution the Gm problem right there.   Stephen has shown a modicum of intelligence and might not take over as GM when it is his turn.    

I don't mind hearing from Jerry Jones. As long as those Cowboys keep right on losing. His sadness on the press conferences when the Cowboys lose bring a smile on my face. As for his son, he's probably just as irritating as his father, Jerry. We just haven't seen it yet.

19 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Buccaneers over Packers.  

Yet, another NFL game where either way, I lose. Is there anyway possible that both of them can lose? Neither one of these teams are very likable or rootable & I'm not here for yet another Brady vs Rodgers debate & showdown. Both of them are very loathsome.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Magog said:

As for his son, he's probably just as irritating as his father, Jerry. We just haven't seen it yet.

Irritating yes, but better at football than the father.   Rumor has it, he's the one who tackled Jerry to keep him from submitting the draft card for Johnny Manziel (although I think Manziel would have done better in Dallas than Cleveland, he still was Manziel and would have flamed out eventually anyway).   

• Love 1
16 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Just went on Amazon, and it asked me the same question it asked last week, did I want to watch live or from the beginning.  Despite asking to watch from the beginning, it once again dropped me into the middle of the live action.

I'll wait for the replay on NFLN at 9:15.

When I first went to look at Amazon with regards to the NFL games, it asked me if I wanted to record the games for the entire season.  I said yes, assuming that it would let me watch the games from the start just like you were trying to do. 

I haven't actually given it a try yet, because I'm not invested in who won either game so far, so I've just been going to live coverage.  I wonder if my choice to record the games will allow me to start from the start or if I'll get what you got.

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

My favorite game!

And the weirdest part of your favorite game is how many commentators still refer to the "New York FOOTBALL Giants," even though the New York baseball Giants departed in 1958.

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

And adding to the six degrees of separation, the Rams were the Cleveland Rams before their first move to LA, and the Cardinals were originally the Chicago Cardinals.

• LOL 1

What is it with the Browns and crazy endings?  

Last week it was the defense collapsing the last 1.5 minutes of the game.

This week it went to our advantage and the Squeelers not knowing abt clock management with NINE SECONDS left,  that led to a Browns defensive TD.

I’m going to have anxiety attacks every time, aren’t I?  This is our punishment for Deshaun Watson.

Edited by roamyn
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1

Week 3 Picks include: 

Chicago, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Miami, Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, New York

The Big Nationals: GOTW, SNF, and MNF all have 1-point lines, with the Buccaneers, 49ers, and Giants being favored.  The Packers/Bucs one is questionable; I think the former is getting routed big time.  The weather, venue, Tampa defense, and questionable Packers’ offense may have FOX switching to Rams/Cards midway through the second quarter/half.  I’ll settle for the Over in SNF and the Under in the other two

• Love 1

DOINK!!! Detroit's first field goal attempt bounces off the post. Ha ha Vikings first attempt went off to the side.

What is with the refs? The play is over. Then a Detroit guy goes up to Jefferson and pushes him to the ground. Ref is there and does nothing. Next, Vikings guy is down on the ground. Detroit guy goes up and steps on and over him. Ref does nothing. 

I'm not used to number 4 being Dalvin Cook. I thought "Who's that?" when I saw him running. I miss Tyler Conklin, too.

• Love 2

Lions up 14-0 on the Vikings - the Lions are definitely turning things around, I like Dan Campbell and think he will right the ship in Detroit, they are probably the most improved team in the NFL this year. Goff is picking apart the Vikings secondary so far.

Bills up 14-7 on the Dolphins, Allen looks fantastic once again, 15/17 with 2 TD passes so far. Fins have barely had the ball, I’m curious to see if the Bills young secondary can do anything to contain Tyreek and Waddle.

Right now Vikings and Detroit are tied 14-14. Even if Vikings lose, it's nice to see the offense playing the way all fans know we can play. Glad to see Thielen finally used and Osborne also catching well. Having all three on a play will make the defense spread out more and hopefully open up Jefferson some.

Question: is there a new rule about when defenders can touch a receiver? It was sounding like the defenders were touching a receiver too early on some plays and getting flags. 

Thanks, Detroit defender! We might have a chance at another TD or field goal before the half.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Carey said:

While I'm glad Tua returned, you gotta question the concussion protocol.  Maybe he passed it and could do so again, but it's fair for someone to have cause for concern

That guy couldn't even walk in a straight line. Any concussion protocols that allow him back into the game aren't worth carrying out.

Reminds me of when the Steelers did the same thing with Roethlisburger against the Ravens, and he proceeded to immediately throw a terrible interception because his brain was so scrambled.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Don't muck up a perfectly good NFL commercial with a bunch of housewives!

Too late for me!  Though I've reacted.  In other words, flipping through the games during commercials, with additional options including the Presidents Cup & Red Zone

• Love 1