Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I heard the day after he was fired he was up at Grand Park all by himself practicing kicking field goals.  What a sad picture.  I hope he fixes whatever is wrong and lands somewhere.

Hadn't heard that.  It is sad

For his sake hope he gets another chance. 

But my feeling is career is over from the Injury last year. 

Time for petty predicting!

Chargers at Chiefs.  Kansas City favored by 3.5.  Over / Under is 52.5

I think the line drop from 4.5 not too long ago as of this post.  Info courtesy of FanDuel

Chiefs win but LA covers.  Over hits for sure.  This is not that easy of a pick.  Not difficult at all since Mahomes is almost undefeated in September & still hasn't thrown a pick this month.  It's at Arrowhead in a short week.  Los Angeles did beat then there last year, but that was a rare case where Kansas City had their struggles (with the AFC West Champs losing by 6).

Pro Football Reference probably has me covered, but I might look of the point differential in KC games since 2018.  If someone doesn't already do it.

KC may be a bit pissed, still pissed, but LA, the best SB pick IMO (if being different) was decent last year as an 8th place team, and got better this year.  Whatever happens, these two teams should be the cream of the crop in the AFC West.  Sorta like Steelers Ravens (but on an offensive POV).  Vegas might be that Cincy team, we'll see

I'm really pissed.  I just went onto AP, where it said, "Recording available," and it asked me did I want to watch live or watch from the beginning.  I picked watch from the beginning, but it dropped me right into the live action.  The only way to watch from the beginning is to go into live action and rewind it -- slowly -- to the start.  And of course now I'm spoiled on the score.  There's no preview as I FF so I have to guess where the pregame ends or how long the commercials or the halftime break will be. 

• Useful 1

Meh re: Amazon Prime.  I'm able to view it OTG (on the go).  Sure I'm not going to be able to rewind the original broadcast, but this game will be rerun on NFLN and/or elsewhere.  First game here, and there's time for tweaks & adjustments

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Carey said:

Sure I'm not going to be able to rewind the original broadcast, but this game will be rerun on NFLN and/or elsewhere.

Yeah, that might be a better bet.  Looks like NFLN will have it up around 9:30 local time.  If this is how Amazon will handle a full slate, though, I hope they don't get the Sunday Ticket contract.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:
12 minutes ago, Carey said:

Sure I'm not going to be able to rewind the original broadcast, but this game will be rerun on NFLN and/or elsewhere.

Yeah, that might be a better bet.  Looks like NFLN will have it up around 9:30 local time.  If this is how Amazon will handle a full slate, though, I hope they don't get the Sunday Ticket contract.

For real.  Only time will tell.  Of course, if it's a nightmare for the Sunday Ticket so be it.  I'm pro RedZone (Scott Hanson over Andrew Siciliano)

• Love 1

I remain in clear acknowledgment this is very much a first world problem, and specific to how I watch television in a house with no smart TVs, but I hate that the Thursday games are now only available to stream.  I never realized how much I moved around and watched bits and pieces of a game on different TVs until I was stuck only being able to see it on one (unless I carry my Fire stick around and keep hooking it up to different TVs).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I hope Herbert is okay and just got the wind knocked out of him and it’s not any damage to his ribs.

This game is closer than I thought it would be considering it’s in KC. I hope the Chargers beat them in LA, though most of the fans will probably be Chiefs fans at Sofi.

• Love 1

I still don't have any issues with my Super Bowl pick.  It's a moot point if Herbert is hurt, but at the same time, it was a field bet.  I probably could've committed to Tampa Bay since I believe that the goat's final game features him raising another trophy.  However, there are issues, which, while they can be addressed, don't add up to being right.  Cincy, Buffalo, etc, are more legit picks, so I'd didn't feel like doing a petty pick as had been the case for the past several even seasons.

Still a nice start to the Amazon NFL Era!

Terrific Thursday Night game between 2 very good teams - the Chiefs defense stepped up and got a couple of huge stops late plus the 99 yard pick six by the rookie Watson that was the key play of the game that led to the Chiefs win. Both Mahomes and Herbert made impressive plays and were good, and this is a great rivalry between 2 top tier teams, but the Chiefs defense was the difference in the end. Herbert was clearly hurting at the end but still kept them alive, I hope he’s okay going forward. The Chiefs have an excellent team once again, and the Chargers are very good as well, I think both of these teams will be Super Bowl contenders come season’s end. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was just sitting here, minding my own business, having a good day, when wham! Caught a stray.  Damn.

Sorry, though in my defence, I am just the messenger. The team is the one that's really at fault here.

Though, some perspective- the Giants are one of the NFL's oldest teams, so it's no surprise that they have so many blown leads.  The Giants have also not blown more than a two touchdown lead since 2018, which was the only time they did so after 2014, which was the last time they blew a 20+ point advantage.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2

I hate gambling and think that the attention networks give it is stupid, but since the lines are thrown in my face on the reg, I can say that San Francisco as an 8.5 point favorite against Seattle is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Max Kellerman and Jay Williams must have made a mistake because that can’t possibly be the line.

• Love 3

Chargers gonna Charger.

And Mahomes is still Mahomes.   That side arm throw for the first Chiefs TD was a thing of beauty.   You have to contain him to keep him from running, you don't want him to plant and launch a long one, oh hell he just whipped it out from the side.

• LOL 1
46 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I hate gambling and think that the attention networks give it is stupid, but since the lines are thrown in my face on the reg, I can say that San Francisco as an 8.5 point favorite against Seattle is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Max Kellerman and Jay Williams must have made a mistake because that can’t possibly be the line.

It is the line.  At least per FanDuel & as of 8:20 EST on 09/16/2022

• Mind Blown 1
On 9/8/2022 at 7:07 AM, Magog said:

More like summer vacation is officially over. 

The Vikings will fall flat on their faces this season like they usually do & Kirk Cousins will continue to suck for them. All I know from these losers is that they better not lose to the Cowboys like they did last season. I'm still pissed off at them for that. 

Eat your words, Magog! 😊

I stayed up from10:30 - 1:30 am in Loen, Norway to watch play by play on the Vikings app. It was well worth the lack of sleep when Vikings scored in the first drive and never lost their lead.

(Catching up on this thread as I haven't read it for weeks.)

6 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

The Giants have also not blown more than a two touchdown lead since 2018, which was the only time they did so after 2014, which was the last time they blew a 20+ point advantage.

I am pretty sure that my Giants haven't actually had any two touchdown leads to blow since 2018.

In Thursday Night Football news:

1. That throw that Herbert made on fourth down, at the end of the game, with obviously broken ribs, was amazing. Just wow.
  2. The Chargers need to get to the point where they win games like this as opposed to what they did. 
  3. I thought the broadcast and production was very good. As they're not my teams playing, I'm less engaged in the game. So it was easy for me to pop up the game on my phone to keep an eye on it while I moved around the house to do other things.  
  4. Also nice was that I could slide back the coverage to any point in the game just like it was on a DVR, and then go back to live.

Trent Dilfer was on “God Bless Football” (LeBatard and Friends podcast) and does he still work for ESPN?  I haaaaaaated his filthy Ravens teams, but loved him as an analyst.  I realized that I don’t think I’ve seen him recently.

Also he said he is a grandpa and OOF.

Dilfer exited ESPN over half a decade ago.  One of several former people that made the move to FS1 (though several left on their own terms unlike Trent, while it was mutual for a handful of others).

In addition, he coached a HS team

• Mind Blown 1
14 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Chiefs have an excellent team once again, and the Chargers are very good as well, I think both of these teams will be Super Bowl contenders come season’s end. 

After last night's game, it is over for the Chargers. They had chances to put that game away & as usual to them, they found a way to fail. And they will keep finding ways to mess it up in big moments as the season rolls along. 

5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Eat your words, Magog! 😊

I stayed up from10:30 - 1:30 am in Loen, Norway to watch play by play on the Vikings app. It was well worth the lack of sleep when Vikings scored in the first drive and never lost their lead.

(Catching up on this thread as I haven't read it for weeks.)

Its Week 2 & the season has just started. There is plenty of time for that loser Kirk Cousins & the Vikings to mess it up. They just better not mess it up against the Cowboys in November like they did last season.

7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

That throw that Herbert made on fourth down, at the end of the game, with obviously broken ribs, was amazing. Just wow.

That was crazy.  He just tossed the ball down rather than simply keep running for an easy first down because he was in too much pain to move, and then on the very next down he delivered that pass?!  I actually had a moment of wondering if he was faking the severity of his injury on that third down play, so the defense would figure fourth down couldn't be anything other than a run.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I am pretty sure that my Giants haven't actually had any two touchdown leads to blow since 2018.

*puts on bulletproof vest*

Actually, according to the link you quoted, the Giants have blown three two touchdown leads since November 25, 2018 at the Eagles (the last time the Giants blew a larger lead). They did it a month later at Indianapolis (that 2018 year must have been ugly), then almost a year later at Philadelphia and then almost a year after that at Dallas (October 11, 2020). For good measure, the ugly 2020 campaign saw the Giants blow two more 11-point leads, away to Philly (those darn Eagles...) and at home to Tampa Bay.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I don’t want to look to see what happened to the Giants tens years ago on this date, because after a series of increasingly unhinged Facebook posts it culminated with this

I'm clearly not picking up what you're putting down.  Other than that was the infamous day the idiot coach for Tampa had his team go after Eli in the victory formation, it was a win for the G-men.  Was this a bad thing?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Huh.  Weird.  Someone even in the comments lamented whatever it was I was bitching about.  But you are totally right, and wasn’t the kneel down sack attempt a Greg Schiano thing?  Guess I better check the Yankees for that day and see if that was it.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Huh.  Weird.  Someone even in the comments lamented whatever it was I was bitching about.  But you are totally right, and wasn’t the kneel down sack attempt a Greg Schiano thing?  Guess I better check the Yankees for that day and see if that was it.

Well, to bring this back full circle and give the Giants a positive for a change, the Greg Schiano game was a game where Tampa blew a 14 point lead. So the Giants at least got one back (and many others I am sure).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Week Two Picks: Baltimore, Cleveland, New England, Jacksonville, New York, New Orleans, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Green Bay, Buffalo, Philadelphia

Here are some of the lines (along with my predictions) courtesy of FanDuel

Patriots/Steelers (Patriots favored by 2.5 with a 40.5 O/U)

I’ll take Steelers & the points, under hits

Bucs/Saints (Bucs favored by 2.5 with a 39.5 O/U)

Saints cover, and I’ll take the under

Rams/Falcons (Rams favored by 10 with a 46.5 O/U)

Rams cover & the over hits

Bengals/Cowboys (Bengals favored by 7.5 with a 41.5 O/U)

Bengals cover & the over hits

Packers/Bears (Packers favored by 10 with a 41.5 O/U)

Packers win, and I’ll take the under

Titans/Bills (Bill favored by 10 with a 47.5 O/U

I’ll take the Titans and the points

Vikings/Eagles (Eagles favored by 2.5 with a 50.5 over under)

Eagles win & cover.  The over does NOT hit

If there's ever a time Pittsburgh should stick it to New England, today's the day.  However, they just never pummel teams.  They pretty much slop stuff together.  They do the bare minimum.  More often than not, their wins are due to a winning FG by Boswell.  It's risky, and the Pats might get lucky once, which will be enough.

You can go ahead and bet the house on Tampa.  I'm 0-5 picking Bucs/Saints games since 2020.

LA is pissed.  They're not allowing Atlanta to gain a big lead with the plan to blow it.

A-Rod owns Chicago.  No INTs (on SNF I believe) against the Bears.

Bengals are pissed.  Not that it matters given their opponent!

• Love 1

Some good games on now 

Bucs continue to struggle against the Saints, Saints up 3-0 in the 2nd quarter.

Dolphins/Ravens is a good one, 7-0 Ravens, Fins just got a goal line stand.

Lions up 12-0 on the Commanders.

Pats up 3-0 on the Steelers.

And SundayTicket shits itself once again and has quit working. Suck my dick, DirecTV, you fucking suck!! It’s wonderful that next year DirecTV will no longer have the NFL package.

Anyway, the 2 games that I’m getting on tv - Fins/Ravens and Bucs/Saints, are good, Ravens up 21-7 on Fins, Lamar is playing very well with 2 TD passes and the Ravens have gotten some big plays. And the Bucs continue to struggle against the Saints, down 3-0. 

7 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

And SundayTicket shits itself once again and has quit working. Suck my dick, DirecTV, you fucking suck!! It’s wonderful that next year DirecTV will no longer have the NFL package.

Yeah, I've switched to Red Zone channel until they get it back up.  If it doesn't come back up today, I'm going to demand a refund.

But after Amazon's shitty performance on Thursday, I'm leery of how much better they can actually do with Sunday Ticket.  Guess that leaves Apple?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

That game had a sweet little TB12 montage with him screaming and throwing stuff. Pretty funny.

I like how the announcers commented on how the Microsoft Surface tablet TB threw has childproof packaging.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, twoods said:

Lamar Jackson making a case for why he deserves to get paid more than Watson. Wow. 

Lamar has put on a show today - over 200 yards passing, over 100 yards rushing and 4 total TD’s - the Ravens are blowing out the Dolphins. Disappointing outing for the Dolphins, their defense should be better.

• Mind Blown 1
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Lamar has put on a show today - over 200 yards passing, over 100 yards rushing and 4 total TD’s - the Ravens are blowing out the Dolphins. Disappointing outing for the Dolphins, their defense should be better.

Despite never having been to Miami, my nephew in Arizona is a diehard Fins fan. He's been sending me profanity laden texts all day. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Despite never having been to Miami, my nephew in Arizona is a diehard Fins fan. He's been sending me profanity laden texts all day. 

The Fins are still relying way too much on the pass - they’ve had no rushing attack the past few years, I thought that would change with the addition of Mostert and Edmonds, but they still are completely dependent on the pass, Tua has thrown it 38 times so far. And their defense has just had no answer for Lamar. The Ravens have a dangerous team, despite the fact that their receiving unit is just average and they’re still without Dobbins at RB, they have an explosive offense. 

Jameis Winston has imploded in the second half, with 3 picks including a pick six to Mike Edwards that pretty much seals it for the Bucs as they lead it 20-3 with 4 to go. Winston is a total bust, a turnover machine and a horrible human being, I can’t stand him.

Colts get shut out by the Jags and lose 24-0. Embarrassing loss for the Colts, they’ve been terrible so far this season, Matt Ryan has been a huge disappointment.

Lions beat the Commanders, Goff looked sharp, the Lions are a much improved team this season.

Jets upset the Browns, wow.

Ravens up 38-35 on the Fins but the Fins are driving it. What a game!!