Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

You know, (I think) it's more probable than not that you'd get a nice, well displayed 404 page if you did a command that featured some requested Detroit keyword.  For instance:

START:

Lions Playoff Wins = START: since the short lived AFL era {LESS 1991} STOP: FOREVER

END

• Love 1

It's their only playoff win since their 1957 championship win.  The period between their last title and 1991-1992 even exceeds Cincinnati's recent but now expired playoff victory drought!

Ah yes, thinking fondly back to that one year that it seemed that the Run and Shoot offense was going to be the future of football, with two teams reaching the conference championships. But of course defenses caught up, and gimmicky spread out offenses based on passing would never again gain prominence in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

With the exception of some short running back whose name I can't recall drafted with Peete, it looks like the Lions have always been the Lions.

LOL.   Who was that guy again?

Yeah if that short running back had been on a real team, he might have played longer.   What a career it COULD have been.   As it was, he STILL made it into the HOF after saying "why am I killing myself for the LIONS?"

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Jimmy G is an odd guy for a QB as he seems quite satisfied being a backup while being skilled enough to be an above average starter.

I was thinking something similar about him yesterday. He's probably collected $110M so far in his career, so that he's not hurting for a big deal right now. 

Taking this backup role this year is probably a good thing for him when he hits the market as an UFA next year. Going to lesser team right now, trying to learn their playbook, and possibly not looking great in 2022 is less preferable than having people remember that he was pretty darn good in 2021.

Plus, he's had a pretty sweet deal as far as situations that are QB friendly. 

• The Patriots and the 49ers have stable situations with coaches and systems in place for a while
  • He typically plays behind a good to very good offensive line
  • In his two seasons when he wasn't hurt, the 49ers had good to great running games
  • The 49ers also had good defenses those two years.

He's had a pretty sweet deal as far as situations that are QB friendly. It makes sense to me for him to take the 49ers money and backup role this year, and then pick his destination next year.

If he's going to go someplace where the team is building, as opposed to built and just needs a good QB, seems like the best plan for him would be to do it next year with a nice deal and a bunch of guaranteed money.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

1992 that was the year of the only lions playoff win in the superbowl Era. Beat the Cowboys. 

Since then 9 straight playoff losses. 

Not really a Lions fan but I feel for their fans.  I thought it was cool after the Buffalo 7 foot snow storm in 2014 the Lions lent their stadium to the Bills.  

some years back maybe 2014 or 2015 I read they got screwed by the refs in a playoff game against the Packers.  I can't say for certain but it don't surprise me.

4 hours ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

I’m not doing a great job of posting items from Twitter, apparently, lol! FYI, Tom Brady from July looks quite different than Tom Brady from August!! 😂

OMG.  This is the personal reason he stepped away from the team??  Who told him this would be a good look?  He went from being a really good looking guy in early middle age to the lovechild of Derek Zoolander and late-stage Mickey Rourke...and by choice.  Hideous.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

There are now people in the league that are now playing or scheduled to participate in the NFL simultaneous to Tom Brady who is more than old enough to be their father.  It's a safe bet to say that it's a no-go that anyone is going to have the career that TB12 has had.  However, I guess I have to say "oh well" toward the guy's effort to look/appear younger than many of those players that weren't even born when the GOAT started

There was nothing wrong with Brady’s face but then he botoxed last year and now he did THAT. He keeps looking more and more like his wife every day, which may be where his end point is.

Edited by twoods
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:
14 hours ago, Carey said:

Close enough.  That season, the Packers win against the Cowboys was questionable.  That was a week after the Cowboys win against the Lions, which was also questionable

Dez. Caught. It.

And then future Super Bowl champion Matt Stafford said, "Dez caught it. In a fictional NFL game."

IMO that 2014 postseason for the NFC side was a playoff full of major Karma.  Speaking of that, and the people involved on that side of the league...

• Love 1

There have been many good-looking quarterbacks in 100 years of the NFL (13 year old me became a Giants fan because she thought Phil Simms was dreamy).  Keyshawn Johnson has declared that Jimmy G is the best-looking of the entire bunch.

I can’t disagree with him.  I mean, Subway added him to their stable of athletes just because he’s hot.

• Love 1

Tough break for the Titans - LB Harold Landry tore his ACL this week, he led the team with 12 sacks last year and is a key player for their defense. 

This sucks.  We'll see how he recovers going forward.  To add to what Xeliou66 posted, Tennessee is still familiar with this spot (overcoming injuries).  People will have to step up; BTW, Landry was hurt in practice.  Still not good but practice has more validity than a preseason game (especially for Harold).

I still thought Indianapolis may be tops for the AFC South this season before he went down; still it'll be interesting to see how the year progresses.  I should be & plan on making my picks/predictions here soon.

Speaking of which, I'd love for there to be the return of the NFL picks contest.  It's been sometime since we've done that here.  I guess I'd have to run it if I want it so much (if a mod can't do it).  Those were a ton of fun; put a ton of interest in the game more than actual betting sometimes.

I haven't checked FanDuel for the opening line, but I believe with a week to go, CBS Sports has Buffalo favored by 2.5.  Over/Under is 53.  I don't see Buffalo covering without winning outright since I think the over will hit.  OTOH, it could be a quick defensive game with a substantial amount of running more than I'd guess.  So the under would be more likely, and the Bills could lose a very close game at the last minute in Los Angeles (at which point they'd cover)

Edited by Carey
Adding Bills at Rams Opening Line
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

(13 year old me became a Giants fan because she thought Phil Simms was dreamy)

Poor child; I hope your parents eventually got you the glasses you so desperately needed.

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Poor child; I hope your parents eventually got you the glasses you so desperately needed.

I’ve been wearing glasses since 1995.  So they came too late.

There is still a poster of Phil Simms on my childhood bedroom wall from like 1987 and every time I look at it it reminds me how cute he was, heh.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

There is still a poster of Phil Simms on my childhood bedroom wall from like 1987 and every time I look at it it reminds me how cute he was, heh.

I remember thinking how cute Lynn Dickey was.  Sometimes when they are on your team, they appear cuter.  I remember a friend swooning over Don Majkowski.  Not me though; the Majik Man had that semi-mullet during those years with the Packers and that's not something I can overlook.

What is going on with Brady?  He looks gaunt - did he have plastic surgery?  In the middle of training camp?  Unless he had an accident requiring immediate facial surgery, why would he have it done in August?  

9 hours ago, Calvada said:

What is going on with Brady?  He looks gaunt - did he have plastic surgery?  In the middle of training camp?  Unless he had an accident requiring immediate facial surgery, why would he have it done in August?  

Maybe it's a gift to self to mark 45

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Carey said:

Speaking of which, I'd love for there to be the return of the NFL picks contest.  It's been sometime since we've done that here.  I guess I'd have to run it if I want it so much (if a mod can't do it).  Those were a ton of fun; put a ton of interest in the game more than actual betting sometimes.

Yes- I use to love doing that here! I’d offer to run it but I’m too busy to head that up. I’d participate though :)

22 minutes ago, Johann said:

I wasn't here then, could someone explain the NFL picks game?  I'm intrigued.  And it reminded me to play Survivor on NFL,COM...

...which I can't seem to find...

Yea. You pretty much just pick what team you thought would win each game. At the end of the regular season if you got enough picks right you could participate in the playoff bracket. Pretty easy in regards to Fantasy Football in that you don’t have to worry about picking players, etc. only what teams you thought would win for that week. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah it was pretty basic.  Not complex enough like the games I used to run for Survivor, The Amazing Race, and American Idol (though those who participated needed to think a little bit & put some effort).  To be specific, I ran survivor type games, which were much easier than a sports pick game or bracket, related to the cast, AND I ran one related to what would happen on the show themselves.

But yeah, as mentioned, you just had to pick the games.  I probably would've worked in something related to the spread and maybe the O/U (not all of them of course).  Come playoff time, I would have included everyone that played.  I'd make it more prestigious (not by much).  That way, it keeps the interest for participants throughout the entire season all the way to the Super Bowl.

That being said, the game that was played here some time ago was a blast

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Carey said:
14 hours ago, Calvada said:

Maybe it's a gift to self to mark 45

It's too bad he can't return this particular gift to self.

• LOL 8
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought Phil Simms was dreamy back in the day.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I imagine that the Baltimore brass has thrown up their hands and is telling Lamar “stop mentioning Watson, that deal is crap, Cleveland’s owners are crap, and we’re not doing that so stop asking”.

I agree but I can see Lamar saying "I'm not a accused of any sexual misconduct so why can't I get paid Watson money?"  Cleveland really did fuck all the other teams giving Watson that contract.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 9/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, Carey said:

I can't keep track of a weekly picks type of game, but I would happily start a Survivor Pool here. It's a little late to have it start week 1, so we could get rolling and start it for week 2.

For those who do not know, a Survivor Pool is where you pick ONE game each week. If your team wins that game, you survive to pick again next week. If it loses, you are eliminated.  Once you pick a team to win, you may not pick that team again for the rest of the season.

• Useful 1

Someone actually spent precious seconds with the speculation that Art Rooney was going to retire Roethlisberger's number.  C'mon man!

Big Ben had his glorified moments, but I'd be surprised if they retired his number before Bradshaw.  TBH, Terry & the Bus, but to be fair, I'd be shocked if they re-issued number 7.

It was spot on in terms of retiring the number.  I'll give Pittsburgh a 50/50 shot at the win on Christmas Eve, as of September 6th

• Love 1
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

I imagine that the Baltimore brass has thrown up their hands and is telling Lamar “stop mentioning Watson, that deal is crap, Cleveland’s owners are crap, and we’re not doing that so stop asking”.

Jackson's contract isn't done because he doesn't have an agent.   Kinda like representing yourself in court.   Sure you can do it, doesn't mean it will go well.   An agent deals with the contract while the player focuses on football.   An agent can tell a player what is realistic for that position with their skills (usually, remember the stupid Ricky Williams first contract because he went with Roc Nation who had NO idea how football contracts work?).   An agent knows what the real market is, not the one hyped in the media because they are doing deals and working with the teams ALL the time.   A player representing himself has to do football AND the legal stuff of a contract, all while not ruling knowing what was going on.    A google agent is about as good as a google lawyer.

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Jackson's contract isn't done because he doesn't have an agent.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. There is nobody working with him who will tell him "This is as good as you're going to get."

Players who work without an agent do get significant support from the NFLPA and almost definitely have an attorney who will review the contract for him. So they aren't operating completely in the dark, but it is a significant disadvantage in several ways. 

Perhaps the worst way is that the player has to hear directly from the team the things that aren't so great about him. Things like, "When we compare you to Russell Wilson, you aren't as accomplished as he is in the areas of A, B, and C."

It's my understanding that Jackson could, given the size of the contract he's going to get, easily find a good agent who would work this deal for less than the standard agent percentage cut. It just feels like he's making this harder on himself than it needed to be. 

• Love 1

Here’s my predictions and preview for Week 1 (I plan on doing this for each week of the season) 

Game Predictions

Rams over Bills.  
Saints over Falcons.   
49ers over Bears 
Bengals over Steelers. 
Eagles over Lions. 
Dolphins over Patriots. 
Ravens over Jets.  
Jaguars over Commanders. 
Panthers over Browns.  
Colts over Texans. 
Titans over Giants. 
Packers over Vikings.  
Chiefs over Cardinals.  
Chargers over Raiders.  
Buccaneers over Cowboys.  
Broncos over Seahawks 

It’s a very good slate of games this week - The games I’m most looking forward to are Bills/Rams, Chiefs/Cards, Pats/Dolphins, Packers/Vikings, Raiders/Chargers and Bucs/Cowboys. Bills and Rams is a great opener between 2 excellent teams. The 4:00 games on Sunday are outstanding, all of them should be fun, the AFC West is going to be really exciting to watch play out and I wish either Chiefs/Cards or Raiders/Chargers was the Monday night game instead of the rather weak game we get on Monday night. Packers/Vikings is a huge divisional battle right off the bat. And Bucs/Cowboys is very intriguing as I’m curious to see how Brady plays after a tumultuous offseason and with 3 new starters on the O-Line, and the Cowboys will be interesting as well. Overall this is a strong week and I’m thrilled to have the NFL back!!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Here’s my predictions and preview for Week 1 (I plan on doing this for each week of the season) 

You left out the info ATS Xeliou!  LOL!!

I think you and I may end up with the same exact picks.  I do have to double check stuff (matchups, history, & locations).  Seems chalky but I can't see much of a scenario where I'd pick the other team.  If it's half right, that's not a big deal since every year is different.  Unlike the collegiate game where it's mostly the same

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Seems chalky but I can't see much of a scenario where I'd pick the other team.

I see two upsets in @Xeliou66's picks, I think.

Rams are home underdogs versus the Bills and the Jaguars are 3.5 point underdogs at the Commanders. Both of those seem like pretty solid underdog picks. I can see Minnesota at home upsetting the Packers, although I can also see the Packers winning by 20.

My work pool has us picking with spreads. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the Steelers getting 6.5 from the Bengals. Pittsburgh has been very good on opening day the last several years (unless they're playing the Patriots), and division games are hard to predict. 

• Love 2

Well, Merry Christmas I guess.  To be more accurate, Back to football!  Woo hoo!

Yeah, I agree about a couple upsets as well, as least against the spread.  Pittsburgh might be able to keep it close if Watt is healthy enough to go and the defense performs better.  Plus, if the offense can surprise people, they shouldn't lose by more than 6 (if at all)

I actually have the Vikings winning the division, though you can't count out A-Rod.  Feels like a split this season.

Before I forget, Rams survive vs Buffalo.  Home team in the NFL kickoff wins at least 80% of the time, I believe

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Carey said:

Well, Merry Christmas I guess.  To be more accurate, Back to football!  Woo hoo!

3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Tonight's the night.    Football is back, baby.

More like summer vacation is officially over. 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I actually have the Vikings winning the division, though you can't count out A-Rod.  Feels like a split this season.

The Vikings will fall flat on their faces this season like they usually do & Kirk Cousins will continue to suck for them. All I know from these losers is that they better not lose to the Cowboys like they did last season. I'm still pissed off at them for that. 

• Love 1