Ravens
Browns 
Steelers

AFC West

Chiefs
Chargers
Raiders
Broncos

What does everyone think of my predictions? 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

What does everyone think of my predictions? 

They suck! I would probably swap a few if I had to choose right now, but based on injuries, the annual surprise, and a new structure based off of trades, this could play out.  You'd have to factor in discipline and luck too.  In addition, the culture of the organization is just as important, if not more, than a QB.

Kansas City could actually finish 4th with a winning record, and I wouldn't be shocked.  That may be the best division in the NFL, and maybe the only shot of every team within a division making it into the playoffs.

Swapping Pittsburgh & Cleveland is a combination of bias, history, and DeShaun status.  Bias is what it is, but who knows what happens with Watson.  Pittsburgh hasn't finished last in its division since 1988, and they haven't had a losing season since 2003, which is the longest by a mile.  It's also overrated since they've had several 8-8 seasons in that period.  Impressive since it's not easy to win in the NFL, but at least slightly overrated.

I'd flip Philly and Dallas.  They lost a lot, didn't address the void, and someone other than Mike McCarthy will run things this time a year from now.  The Eagles actually made the playoffs with what they had to deal with last year, and I doubt anything special plays out in Washington or New York for now.

Finally, I might swap Green Bay and Minnesota.  It was all about the money for A-Rod, while the Vikings have been okay recently.  They needed a change in the HC.  Cousins ain't a legendary QB, but with a decent team, they probably should win big this season.

Pretty good list.  No win-loss total, but it's fair enough.  Of course, they have to play the games, which no one here can control in terms of the outcome

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

They suck! I would probably swap a few if I had to choose right now, but based on injuries, the annual surprise, and a new structure based off of trades, this could play out.  You'd have to factor in discipline and luck too.  In addition, the culture of the organization is just as important, if not more, than a QB.

Kansas City could actually finish 4th with a winning record, and I wouldn't be shocked.  That may be the best division in the NFL, and maybe the only shot of every team within a division making it into the playoffs.

Swapping Pittsburgh & Cleveland is a combination of bias, history, and DeShaun status.  Bias is what it is, but who knows what happens with Watson.  Pittsburgh hasn't finished last in its division since 1988, and they haven't had a losing season since 2003, which is the longest by a mile.  It's also overrated since they've had several 8-8 seasons in that period.  Impressive since it's not easy to win in the NFL, but at least slightly overrated.

I'd flip Philly and Dallas.  They lost a lot, didn't address the void, and someone other than Mike McCarthy will run things this time a year from now.  The Eagles actually made the playoffs with what they had to deal with last year, and I doubt anything special plays out in Washington or New York for now.

Finally, I might swap Green Bay and Minnesota.  It was all about the money for A-Rod, while the Vikings have been okay recently.  They needed a change in the HC.  Cousins ain't a legendary QB, but with a decent team, they probably should win big this season.

Pretty good list.  No win-loss total, but it's fair enough.  Of course, they have to play the games, which no one here can control in terms of the outcome

I agree with you about the AFC West - that’s a great division and all 4 teams have a shot at the postseason/winning the division, and I could see that division playing out in all kinds of ways. I think people are overlooking the Chiefs a bit given that the other 3 teams made big moves in the offseason, but the Chiefs still have an excellent roster.

I am just still not 100% sold on Hurts as an NFL franchise QB yet, so that’s why I have the Cowboys winning the division. But the Cowboys are thin at receiver and their pass rush is a question mark.

There’s something about the Vikings I just don’t trust - I think a new coach should help and they should finish with a strong record, but they frequently come up short in big games. The Packers will really miss Davante Adams IMO, they no longer have a star receiver, but their defense is arguably the best in the NFL and Rodgers is an elite QB.

I take it you are a Steelers fan? The Steelers are not a bad team, but the uncertainty at the QB position, the weak O-Line, and the fact that they have no RB’s behind Najee Harris are why I have them last in the North. They could be better than I expect if Pickett takes over at QB and has a good season.

Really I think every team aside from the Texans, Falcons, Bears and maybe Seahawks have something to look forward to/some hope for this season. Unfortunately I’m a Falcons fan, it’s going to be a long season for them, but I love the NFL period and will still love watching it even though my favorite team will suck.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 2

@Xeliou66, your divisions and mine would be roughly the same. I'm with @Carey in flipping the Cowboys and the Eagles, because lately the Cowboys tend to regress after big years. The AFC West might be too difficult to call, but I'll also say that I won't pick against Kansas City to win that division unless it's obvious.

The Browns are a real wildcard. If DeShaun Watson only sits out six games, they might not finish last. If it's twelve or the whole season, it will be a long year in Cleveland. I would be more comfortable picking the Browns to be in last, if I'm being honest.

Lastly, as much as it pains me to say it as a Bills fan, the Dolphins could be a fun team this year with Tyrrek Hill. Don't think they'll pose a real challenge to Buffalo but if the Bills lose a game in the division, it will be against Miami.

Personally I'm just glad at the prospect that the Bills-Dolphins rivalry is back. It just isn't fun when one or both clubs are in the toilet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

@Xeliou66, your divisions and mine would be roughly the same. I'm with @Carey in flipping the Cowboys and the Eagles, because lately the Cowboys tend to regress after big years. The AFC West might be too difficult to call, but I'll also say that I won't pick against Kansas City to win that division unless it's obvious.

The Browns are a real wildcard. If DeShaun Watson only sits out six games, they might not finish last. If it's twelve or the whole season, it will be a long year in Cleveland. I would be more comfortable picking the Browns to be in last, if I'm being honest.

Lastly, as much as it pains me to say it as a Bills fan, the Dolphins could be a fun team this year with Tyrrek Hill. Don't think they'll pose a real challenge to Buffalo but if the Bills lose a game in the division, it will be against Miami.

Personally I'm just glad at the prospect that the Bills-Dolphins rivalry is back. It just isn't fun when one or both clubs are in the toilet.

I think the Dolphins will be good - they went 9-8 last year and this year they add in Tyreek Hill plus 3 solid RB’s in Sony Michel, Raheem Mostert and Chase Edmonds, their rushing game should be solid this season after struggling the last few years, plus their defense is strong. If Tua stays healthy and elevates his game, the Dolphins will be really good, I’m not 100% sold on Tua but I think he definitely has the potential to be a strong franchise QB and if he lives up to his potential this season, the Dolphins will definitely compete with the Bills for the AFC East title.

The Browns are a team I have no idea what to expect from, mainly because I don’t know what the situation with Watson will be, but if Watson plays the whole season, but that’s unlikely, I think the Browns will finish with an average record.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Steelers are not a bad team, but the uncertainty at the QB position, the weak O-Line, and the fact that they have no RB’s behind Najee Harris are why I have them last in the North. They could be better than I expect if Pickett takes over at QB and has a good season.

Admittedly I am biased as I am a Steeler fan but I don't see the Steelers finishing last in their division.  If I turn out to be wrong I will eat crow. I predict Pickett to be as good as he is hoped to be.  And let's not forget the Steelers always seem to do better when less is expected of them.  Also as mentioned by others we have no way of knowing who is going to be injured. We don't know if Watson is going to even play one game with Cleveland.  I'm hoping we do better than 8-9.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Teams that get to play the last place schedule frequently win divisions (the old worst to first move).

Based on that alone, I'd slot the Ravens in as the AFC North winners. Plus, I actually think they'll be the division winner. When not ravaged by injuries, they're a really good team.

And heaven knows what's going to happen in the AFC West. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

And heaven knows what's going to happen in the AFC West. 

I would like to see someone other than KC win the division.  It's more enjoyable when it's not always the same teams winning divisions.  This is why I didn't hate on Cincinnati winning the AFC north last year.  If couldn't be the Steelers I was happy it wasn't Baltimore. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would like to see someone other than KC win the division.  It's more enjoyable when it's not always the same teams winning divisions.  This is why I didn't hate on Cincinnati winning the AFC north last year.  If couldn't be the Steelers I was happy it wasn't Baltimore. 

I think all 4 teams have a chance at winning the AFC West, and I think the Chargers have the best chance at unseating the Chiefs as division champs. The Chargers have shown they can beat the Chiefs and I really like their roster. 

Well, Kansas City did have some catching up to do, so if they win it this year & even next, so be it.

As mentioned, it's nice seeing someone new win it every year.  I couldn't imagine being a Bills/Dolphins fan & having New England hold the title for an entire calendar decade.  Speaking of Miami & Buffalo, it's amazing how they both were bad throughout most of that entire dominance.  Though even in years where they could've been their old decent selves, they would still finish behind the Pats, but only by a game or so.

Bluegirl147 is correct with the point about Pittsburgh not winning every season.  Though if even if Baltimore had won it, I still wouldn't have been that upset either.  At least they're competitive, have a great culture, and have actually knocked off the 2014 AFC North winners as a wild-card (first time the Steelers lost to a division rival in the playoffs after 10 attempts.  Post-merger of course).

Whatever happens in the AFC West, happens.  Same goes for the NFC West FWIW.  Given the new structure to the postseason, if you're good enough, that'll be enough to get into the dance as a wildcard.  If you're in, then you have a chance

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Carey said:

I couldn't imagine being a Bills/Dolphins fan & having New England hold the title for an entire calendar decade. 

Not just the Bills and Dolphins. It sucked for all the other AFC teams.  How many times did we watch NE take the conference?  It got to the point where I wasn't just rooting for the Steelers but any team playing the Patriots.  I hope we don't ever see a team that dominate again.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Not just the Bills and Dolphins. It sucked for all the other AFC teams.  How many times did we watch NE take the conference?  It got to the point where I wasn't just rooting for the Steelers but any team playing the Patriots.  I hope we don't ever see a team that dominate again.  

The ironic thing was that there was good that came from the Pats dominance, or so one thought.  Baltimore was part of the AFC, meaning that if they were going to roll over people, then the Ravens would be yet another victim.  It was sort of a troll job that New England just had to look as pathetic against the Steelers most competitive rival as Detroit just about every game, and that was mostly in Foxborough!

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think all 4 teams have a chance at winning the AFC West, and I think the Chargers have the best chance at unseating the Chiefs as division champs. The Chargers have shown they can beat the Chiefs and I really like their roster. 

Expanding a little bit on my "heaven knows" opinion of the AFC West, there are a few things I think are worth watching.

First, I think it's fair to say that even more than normal, team health will contribute to which team ends up on top an which one ends up on the bottom. They're all so loaded with talent and high end quarterbacks. All it should take to drop one of them to around .500 will be a bunch of injuries.

Second, the Raiders and Broncos have the disadvantage of new coaching staffs. Even if the new staffs are better than the old ones, it is still a lot of learning and thinking that the Chargers and especially the Chiefs don't have to worry about.

For example, the Raiders have really smart and creative guys in charge of the offense (Josh McDaniels) and the defense (Patrick Graham). But both of those guys run complicated, thinking man schemes. It's a lot on the players to absorb before they can just go out on the field and play without thinking.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I hope we don't ever see a team that dominate again.  

I love a good dynasty. I'm all about "Let the best man win", and if that "Best Man" is the best man for a very long time, it's everybody else's fault for not getting better. (Or cheating better... lol)

Unless the next dynasty, unlikely as it would seem to be given the last 25 years, is the Dallas Cowboys. Then I'll be all about the underdogs.

• Love 1

Watched the Untold Story on Manti T'eo.    I am just so mad at Naya.   She still is not taking responsibility.   This was all part of her "journey" to discover her identity.   Okay fine, but you don't get to take anyone else along on the ride without their consent.   Which is totally what you did.   Then she got all mad when Manti didn't stick to HER vision about how the journey should go and told his own side of things.   Like how DARE he?   Still making it all about her and what SHE went through.   Oh I didn't think I would ever be able to show my face in public again.   Well yeah, you LIED and you still won't take ownership of those lies.

the best part was when Manti was getting all the attention because his "girlfriend" "died."   She SAYS she was just really missing the Lennay part of her life and the connection she had with Manti.   No what she was missing was all the attention.   Manti was getting it all.   So she decided to fuck up his life some more by proclaiming herself alive just before the National Title Game.    

Manti T'eo is a bigger person than I will ever be.   he forgave her.   I wouldn't.   Not until I saw some REMORSE for ruining my life, and what she put my family through.   

Oh and we find out that T'eo is not the only guy she was talking to.   So it's not like T'eo was the love of her life.   He was just the most high profile fish on her string.   So it fed her narcississim the most -- this great college player is CALLING ME.    I am so special.   

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Watched the Untold Story on Manti T'eo.    I am just so mad at Naya.   She still is not taking responsibility.   This was all part of her "journey" to discover her identity.   Okay fine, but you don't get to take anyone else along on the ride without their consent.   Which is totally what you did.   Then she got all mad when Manti didn't stick to HER vision about how the journey should go and told his own side of things.   Like how DARE he?   Still making it all about her and what SHE went through.   Oh I didn't think I would ever be able to show my face in public again.   Well yeah, you LIED and you still won't take ownership of those lies.

the best part was when Manti was getting all the attention because his "girlfriend" "died."   She SAYS she was just really missing the Lennay part of her life and the connection she had with Manti.   No what she was missing was all the attention.   Manti was getting it all.   So she decided to fuck up his life some more by proclaiming herself alive just before the National Title Game.    

Manti T'eo is a bigger person than I will ever be.   he forgave her.   I wouldn't.   Not until I saw some REMORSE for ruining my life, and what she put my family through.   

Oh and we find out that T'eo is not the only guy she was talking to.   So it's not like T'eo was the love of her life.   He was just the most high profile fish on her string.   So it fed her narcississim the most -- this great college player is CALLING ME.    I am so special.   

Yeah I kind of feel bad for Manti T’eo, his life was turned upside down and made into a punchline, and I have no sympathy for the con artist who put him through all of that. It’s a bizarre story that I remember well - it was pathetic how ESPN and other sports networks didn’t do basic research on the story before talking about it nonstop, if they had done any follow up they would’ve known the girlfriend didn’t exist. The mainstream sports media just wanted a “feel good” sappy story, so they didn’t bother to do a shred of work on it, some of the worst “journalism” of all time and an example of what a joke a lot of media is. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Carey said:

I couldn't imagine being a Bills/Dolphins fan & having New England hold the title for an entire calendar decade.  Speaking of Miami & Buffalo, it's amazing how they both were bad throughout most of that entire dominance.  Though even in years where they could've been their old decent selves, they would still finish behind the Pats, but only by a game or so.

I've been a Bills fan since the Super Bowl years. I sat through Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson and the Music City Illegal Forward Pass (you won't change my mind on this one).

Nothing compares to The Drought, all 17 years of it (2000-2016). We finished over .500 twice- in 2004 when Drew Bledsoe couldn't find a way to beat the third string Steelers and ten years later when Buffalo blew a game in Oakland against the 2-12 Raiders. The Bills finished second in the division only one other time, in 2007 when, in the thick of a playoff race, the Bills lost three straight to close the season at 7-9 (started by a 8-0 loss to Cleveland in a blizzard).

More frustrating for me than New England's dominance was the fact that, every now and then, the Jets and the Dolphins actually found ways to get it together and snag the division or at least make the playoffs (yes, the Jets actually won the division once in the Brady-led Pats era). The Bills were just stunning in their mediocrity, I've never seen a team with more 6-10 and 7-9 seasons in my life.

I can't explain it, other than that 2017 felt like I won the Super Bowl (even though we weren't going to actually get anywhere near it that year).

9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

For example, the Raiders have really smart and creative guys in charge of the offense (Josh McDaniels) and the defense (Patrick Graham). But both of those guys run complicated, thinking man schemes. It's a lot on the players to absorb before they can just go out on the field and play without thinking.

Of the four AFC West teams, the one that I think may struggle the most would be the Raiders. They just barely made the playoffs and they regressed badly after the last time they were in the playoffs (going from 12-4 in 2016 to 6-10 in 2017). Not sure the bottom will fall out that badly this time around but I think they're more likely to be a 9-8, fight for the playoffs type team than one that poses a serious threat for the division.

• Love 1

The Browns quite cynically structured Watson's salary to be very small this year with the thought that he might be suspended without pay this year. So it's actually only $690,000 this year according to Spotrac while ballooning to $40M+ for every year afterward. $5M is actually much more than his salary this year would be.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

So much for the NFL not wanting Watson to play against the Texans.  Which sorta made no sense.  If they didn't want that, it's a year-long suspension.  Despite everything, it's still "good for business" to have a great player up against his former team, but man, it's the first game back

• Love 2

He comes back the week they play the Texans.  I wonder if that was on purpose. 

6 minutes ago, Carey said:

So much for the NFL not wanting Watson to play against the Texans.  Which sorta made no sense.  If they didn't want that, it's a year-long suspension.  Despite everything, it's still "good for business" to have a great player up against his former team, but man, it's the first game back

I won't be surprised if they make that the NBC game of the week.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

He comes back the week they play the Texans.  I wonder if that was on purpose. 

In my opinion, the LAST thing the NFL wants to do is celebrate Watson's return to play.  

Whether or not the TV partners want to make a spectacle of it, and whether or not the NFL can prevent them from doing so, is a completely different story.

And I wouldn't call the $5,000,000 fine chump change, but it's still not what 11 games of "salary" would be for him. His average salary per game over the life of the fully guaranteed deal is probably $2.5M-$2.8M (before taxes) per game. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, JTMacc99 said:

And I wouldn't call the $5,000,000 fine chump change, but it's still not what 11 games of "salary" would be for him. His average salary per game over the life of the fully guaranteed deal is probably $2.5M-$2.8M (before taxes) per game. 

Have the Browns paid him anything at all this year?  Or does he have to pay the fine out of whatever money he has from before he was a Brown?

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Doubtful.  Houston is a glorified mess.  No one's going to care about either one of those teams (at that point).

Just bet no in term of flexing that game to Sunday Night.  Best bet of the year.  If it's wrong, so be it, but the league is not going to boot Colts/Cowboys in favor of Texans/Browns.

As mentioned, $5 Million isn't nothing, but it is unprecedented.  It would target his Houston deal instead of his future Cleveland one, and sort of create a 17-game / full year suspension (and he sat out by choice of course)

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

The first year of his contract is only $1M.  By design, so that if the penalty was a % of that year’s salary, he would pay a minimum.  

I like the idea that the fine goes to charity, as long as it’s a battered persons charity, or a children’s charity.

And 11 games is much more palatable than six games.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Have the Browns paid him anything at all this year?  Or does he have to pay the fine out of whatever money he has from before he was a Brown?

Heh. Oh, the Browns definitely paid him money so far this year.

He got a HUGE cash bonus that I would assume has already been paid by the Browns. According to Over the Cap, which does a nice job of breaking down contracts so we, as fans, can understand how each player counts against the salary cap, Watson's $46,000,000 from the Browns in 2022 was structured as $1,035,000 salary and $44,965,000 signing bonus.  (So after taxes, he probably put about $25M in the bank, which is now $20M.)

Even for players who are not about to be suspended, it's not unusual for a team to structure a deal like this, as it helps them manage the salary cap.  For example, Davante Adams signed a big deal with the Raiders this year. His 2022 base salary is $3,500,000 and he received a signing bonus of $39,250,000.  Tyreek Hill has a 2022 base salary of $1,035,000 and received a signing bonus of $25,500,000.

So the structure of Watson's deal was hardly unusual, although it certainly had the added benefit for him due to the looming suspension.

Some of the problem the NFL had with the punishment being handed down to Watson for violating the personal conduct policy, was that it looks bad for the league that he was essentially going without a monetary penalty. Per the agreed upon policy with the union, the money penalty suffered by players would be losing the game checks for the games suspended. (So Watson would have been 11/17th of $1,035,000.) 

So that's why when they went the route of negotiating the punishment with Watson, they asked for a large fine in exchange for not suspending him for the full year. 

Eleven games is probably enough to hurt the Browns season, and $5M is probably enough to hurt Watson's wallet. Let's not forget that he's also paying off two dozen civil suits.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Any information on how much he paid out for those civil suits?

Nope. Probably never will be either, as they'll be confidential settlements.

If I remember correctly, he settled like 20 of the 24 in one pass, three more after that, and there is one left.

I'd read that to mean that the first 20 were for one amount. The next three held out for something else, which they may or may not have gotten, and the last one who knows?

We can pick a number out of thin air to get the scope of it. If he settled with each person for $150K, it's $3.6M.  

The Houston Texans were also sued for whatever they did or didn't do as part of this (by 30 women) and they settled all 30 suits.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

So the structure of Watson's deal was hardly unusual,

Oh, I want to modify this statement I made.

The part where Cleveland structured his deal to pay him his 2022 salary as $1M "salary" and $45M signing bonus is not unusual.

The part where the remaining four years are simply $46M salary, fully guaranteed, each year is unique.  The teams simply do NOT hand out fully guaranteed salaries across multiple years. It's fair to say that the other 31 owners were VERY upset with the Browns for doing this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The part where the remaining four years are simply $46M salary, fully guaranteed, each year is unique.  The teams simply do NOT hand out fully guaranteed salaries across multiple years. It's fair to say that the other 31 owners were VERY upset with the Browns for doing this.

The Browns fans were VERY upset by this.  Myself included.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

Browns leadership whining about DeShaun deserving a second chance and wondering if he’s never supposed to work again or be a part of society is rich.  YOU REWARDED HIS BAD BEHAVIOR.  That’s why people hate you, dumbass.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

The Browns fans were VERY upset by this.  Myself included.

And if Watson leads the team to success then they'll cheer when his number is retired one day while also getting very defensive about anyone who brings this up.  He's changed (i.e. he won, so shut up), everyone deserves a second chance (i.e. he won, so shut up), etc.

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Browns leadership whining about DeShaun deserving a second chance and wondering if he’s never supposed to work again or be a part of society is rich.  YOU REWARDED HIS BAD BEHAVIOR.  That’s why people hate you, dumbass.

That comment at the news conference was incredibly tone deaf.  My jaw dropped.

• Love 2

Basically it means he needs to seek treatment & get help.  The guy has to show signs of remorse & control because what he's been accused of doing is a problem.  Help is available; rehab exists for those that have issues, and they seek that care out to fix & recover what issues one has.

The thing is he is being forced to do it, and that's fair.  DeShaun has shown no remorse whatsoever, but the league is making him feel sorry for his actions whether he wants to or not

• Like 1

Watson still isn't show remorse.   Whoever let him put out that statement yesterday should be fired if they approved it.    "I stand by my innocence."   "Now I can just focus on football."   Treatment isn't going to help.    He doesn't see anything wrong with his behavior.

My ONLY reason I am okay with this suspension and him returning to the NFL is he knows he can lose it all if he screws up.     Of course, there will be no more club provided NDAs (I HOPE).   If he was kicked out of the League, he would have nothing to lose and he wouldn't care.    So he DEFINITELY would not change.   Then women would be MORE at risk.   It's not much, but this suspension reduces the risk to women by this predator SOMEWHAT.

But yeah the Haslams -- especially Deb Haslam -- can just STFU any time.   The NFL promising to add $2 million to the fine to create a whole whopping $7 million fund for education and awareness around sexual assault can also GTFO.    They just wanted the feel good PR, they don't really care.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

CBS Sports had an interesting article laying out how Watson's suspension could end up being longer. I hope it ends up playing out that way. I also hope this all blows up in the Browns' face one way or another.

From the article:

As for Watson, not only did he maintain his innocence, but he also added that he'd like to tell his side of the story one day. 

"That's definitely the plan, that's definitely the goal," Watson said. "I feel like through this whole process we've been trying to tell my side of the story, but a lot of people didn't really pay too much attention to it."

Don't we already know his side?  Either the women wanted it or the women are lying.  

41 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Treatment isn't going to help.    He doesn't see anything wrong with his behavior

Having been in therapy for a long time you have to admit there is a problem you are seeking therapy for.  This guy is so far in denial I don't think he could even fake remorse.

1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

And if Watson leads the team to success then they'll cheer when his number is retired one day while also getting very defensive about anyone who brings this up.  He's changed (i.e. he won, so shut up), everyone deserves a second chance (i.e. he won, so shut up), etc.

For Browns fans who are disgusted he is your QB I feel bad for you. But for any fans who think he is being railroaded or you simply just don't care about what he did I hope you someday see he is not worth defending. 

As a Steeler fan I never defended what Big Ben did. I was glad to see he cleaned up his act and we never heard of him doing anything like that again. But with Watson I think given the opportunity he would do this again. 

9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

As a Steeler fan I never defended what Big Ben did. I was glad to see he cleaned up his act and we never heard of him doing anything like that again.

Yeah Ben learned from it and became a better person.    Also one of the accusations against him was provably false.    Unlike Watson where its an ongoing pattern of behavior.    Coupled with he doesn't seem to want to change because he sees no reason to change -- except be more discreet so he doesn't get caught.  

Watson still has one civil suit outstanding, and he managed to escape all criminal charges. 

Seems like it would be a bad idea for him to go around saying, "Yeah, I totally did what they said I did. But now I realize it was wrong and I'm sorry!"

He didn't get caught on camera assaulting somebody. He didn't cause an accident driving drunk. Those things are violations of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy that get an apology, because the player can't deny he did them.

While showing remorse for his actions would help him out (a little bit) with his violation of the NFL's public opinion policy, it sure as hell won't help him out with what he's dealing with outside of his job.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

While showing remorse for his actions would help him out (a little bit) with his violation of the NFL's public opinion policy, it sure as hell won't help him out with what he's dealing with outside of his job.

Which may make it very difficult for him to comply with the terms of his reinstatement to play and thus avoid an extension of his suspension. A real Catch-22 for him. My reaction to his predicament:

grinch smile GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Pretty sure Texas passed a law that says saying sorry can't be used against you in a civil case.

The criminal charges were all no billed.   Not sure if double jeopardy attached but its pretty unlikely the DA would go back to a grand jury just because Watson issued a "I'm sorry for any misunderstandings" statement.   

So the only thing stopping Watson from even admitting that he might not have acted perfectly in all situations is Watson.    He did not have to say "I stand by my innocence."   And talk about how he wants to get "his side of the story out there."    He had his chance in arbitration.    If he didn't put something in then, that's on him.   

6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

So the only thing stopping Watson from even admitting that he might not have acted perfectly in all situations is Watson. 

He might think he can get his reputation back.  He might be looking to have endorsement deals again.  Or maybe he just 100% believes he did nothing wrong.  When did he settle with the women?  That might have been a prerequisite to Cleveland signing him.  

From The Daily Beast,

Why I’m Refusing to Settle With NFL Star Deshaun Watson

I have rejected all settlement offers, in part because they have not included any sincere acknowledgment of remorse and wrongdoings, nor have they included any promises of rehabilitative treatment. Watson still refuses to admit that he harassed and committed indecent assault against me. Any settlement offer he has made has been a dismissal of his evil actions, and I know that unless there is an authoritative intervention, he will continue his destructive behavior.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah Ben learned from it and became a better person.    Also one of the accusations against him was provably false.    Unlike Watson where its an ongoing pattern of behavior.    Coupled with he doesn't seem to want to change because he sees no reason to change -- except be more discreet so he doesn't get caught.  

Which accusation are you referring to?  If it's the 20-year-old he raped in the bathroom of the nightclub in Georgia, authorities cited insufficient evidence as their reason for dropping the case, which is what happens in the vast majority of rape cases and is not the same thing as the accusation being "provably false."

There is one place Rapistberger should have learned not to rape women and grown as a person or whatever: jail.

• Love 3

The browns and watson knew this fight and expected response were coming and they still just royally screwed it up.  

They had months to plan for this. How does it go this bad?  

Yet again evidence of inept Cleveland fron office. 

• Love 2