Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

Bengals tie the Steelers but the game winning XP is blocked!! Holy shit!!

The announcers nailed that one.  They spent the interim after the tying TD talking about how the change in long snapper might negatively affect the kick, and that's exactly what happened.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Falcons shit the fucking bed once again in the 4th quarter, blowing a 26-10 lead and they trail 27-26 with 19 seconds. Fucking unbelievable. We are fucking cursed. Fuck fuck fuck.

That is as surprising as water is wet. You should be used to their incompetence by now. 

And its official. The Falcons choked again 27-26. They're such absolute losers.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

With about 10 minutes to go, I totally forgot about the spread for SNL & the games of the week (both on CBS & FOX as will be the case in Week 18):

Chiefs favored by 6 with a 53.5 O/U: (Cards cover & the over hits)

Packers favored by 1 with a 46.5 O/U: (Vikings cover, but the under is it)

Bucs favored by 2.5 (Cowboys cover, though the over does NOT hit)

The data comes courtesy of CBS Sports (except for the Green Bay game; that's from USA Today).

ETA: Jacksonville still sucks, Carolina is not good & Rhule still gets tossed by year's end, and Indy? Forget about them

ETA2: Man, as mentioned, San Francisco blew it, though they were sans Kittle.  Still, it's Week One, but they gave position back to Los Angeles (where a tie-breaker wouldn't favor in too much barring a better AFC mark from someone else in the NFC West or if someone like the Packers or Vikings beat Buffalo)

Edited by Carey
How awful I've performed thus far
  • Love 1

Falcons lose. It’s truly astounding how fucking awful they are in the 4th quarter, I mean I knew that had a bad team this year and won’t be good, but they had this game won and shit themselves. They do this all the time, every since Super Bowl 51 this has been a common trend. Worst chokers in sports, what a joke. 

Matty Ice led a comeback and the Colts and Texans are in OT. 

Cincinnati has one of the best kickers in the league and he can't catch a break because of the fill-in long snapper.  Argghh.  Just shows every spot on the roster is important.

And the Colts' kicker hooks his kick to the right.  Not the snapper in this case.

Random hypothetical question:  say a team marches very slowly down the field and retains possession of the ball for the entire OT period, then kicks a FG on the last play of OT.  Does the other team get a play, since they're each supposed to get a possession?

• Love 1

McPherson misses the game winning FG and now the Steelers are in Bengals territory. And Blankenship misses the game winning FG for the Colts, giving the Texans a chance to win. This is why I love the NFL, lots of wild and wacky stuff happening! 

• Love 1
Just now, Carey said:

Well, at least Pittsburgh will cover...

About 40 years ago I entered my first and only football pool, which, astonishingly, I won.  I decided, though, that participating made me root for the teams I'd picked, rather than the teams I liked.  So I never did it again.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
6 minutes ago, Carey said:

Well, at least Pittsburgh will cover...

About 40 years ago I entered my first and only football pool, which, astonishingly, I won.  I decided, though, that participating made me root for the teams I'd picked, rather than the teams I liked.  So I never did it again.

Fair enough LOL!  I usually run the pools as opposed to participating in them.  I've had my fair share of wins, but I'm sorta glad I didn't win off the bat.  The undefeated thing is decent, but I do love the competition & being able to win a ton (5 to 10 titles).  Perfect example is the NCAA Tournament

• Love 1
Just now, Magog said:

Man I need a nap. The Steelers kicker redeemed himself at the end. 

Though I'd give him a pass.  Especially in this game with the predictions and likely outcome.  He'd never missed in that building, and Boswell is a big reason why Pittsburgh has been what they've been (especially in 2017)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

And meantime, Kansas City's safety is pulled into duty as a kicker and nails the PAT.

Never, ever take your kicking game for granted.

Speaking of Kansas City, their game is on pace to where when everything's over, Mahomes is killing me (for picking them to finish in 4th place)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Steelers fear that TJ Watt has a torn pec. He was definitely injured, but I guess we'll have to wait for official word.

If this is confirmed, then the Steelers will finish in last place.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Steelers fear that TJ Watt has a torn pec. He was definitely injured, but I guess we'll have to wait for official word.

He was definitely in pain, he kept moving one arm around like he was trying to push something back into place.  That sucks to be injured in the first game of the season. 

• Love 2
Just now, emma675 said:

He was definitely in pain, he kept moving one arm around like he was trying to push something back into place.  That sucks to be injured in the first game of the season. 

I hate seeing star players go down. The NFL is so much better when all of the elite players are on the field. It really sucks for Watt and the Steelers.

• Love 1

The Packers look lousy on offense - they clearly miss Davante Adams. And their defense, which I thought would be arguably the NFL’s best, has given up some big plays, Justin Jefferson already has over 100 yards receiving. Vikings up 10-0.

Chiefs offense hasn’t slowed down at all, they are up 20-7 on the Cards and Mahomes has 3 TD passes. 

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Packers look lousy on offense - they clearly miss Davante Adams. And their defense, which I thought would be arguably the NFL’s best, has given up some big plays, Justin Jefferson already has over 100 yards receiving. Vikings up 10-0.

Chiefs offense hasn’t slowed down at all, they are up 20-7 on the Cards and Mahomes has 3 TD passes. 

Arizona is driving, so we'll see whether they can close the gap (or if Murray will turn it over).  With the Steelers & Bengals game taking forever, some people may not know whether Kansas City started with the ball or kicked to start the first half, and that is a big factor.

The Packers struggle is why I went with Minnesota

2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jeezus, how many people from Pittsburgh post here? 😁

I'm surprised too.  Other than xaxat, I didn't think there was anyone else!

Speaking of surprises, there are some pleasant ones.  For example, Little Caesars becoming the official pizza of the NFL!

• Love 1

Chargers up 17-3 on the Raiders just before half, Herbert looks fantastic so far. I think the Chargers are the biggest threat to knock the Chiefs off of the AFC West throne, they have a really talented team. I don’t trust the Raiders or Derek Carr, I think Carr is just a middle of the road QB most of the time and there’s something about the Raiders I just can’t trust and I don’t think McDaniels is a great head coach.

• Love 3

Vikings score again!  Woo hoo!

I don't even hate Aaron Rodgers, but this is just refreshing.  Meanwhile, there's a memes featurning Davante Adams calling A-Rod.  That could probably be the edit to add the same thing but swapping names

ETA: Aaron barely missed 400 passing attempts against the NFC North without in INT

Edited by Carey
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Chargers up 17-3 on the Raiders just before half, Herbert looks fantastic so far. I think the Chargers are the biggest threat to knock the Chiefs off of the AFC West throne, they have a really talented team. I don’t trust the Raiders or Derek Carr, I think Carr is just a middle of the road QB most of the time and there’s something about the Raiders I just can’t trust and I don’t think McDaniels is a great head coach.

ITA, and I am a lifelong Raiders fan. They should bring up the cellar in the AFC West.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

And Rogers just hit a sure TD to his rookie WR right in the hands and he dropped it. I'm sure Aaron will never bring it up.

If Rodgers doesn't, the fans will!  The rookie will never have an easier catch to make.  He was 2 yards in front of the defender and the ball was dropped into his hands beautifully.  However, all the offensive players went over to him on the bench after the punt to offer some  encouragement.  The Packers offense looks awful, which is not surprising, since most of them haven't played together in a game since January.  I realize they don't want injuries in the preseason, but there's a price to be paid, especially with all the new WRs.  What has surprised me about the Packers is that the defense is playing so lousy.  They gave up 262 yards in the first half.  That's awful.  The Packers' corners are supposed to be some of the best in the league, but Jefferson is making them look like clowns.  Time to see what the 2nd half brings. 

A lot of significant injuries this week.  

• Love 3

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things, but did Rodgers finally get a hair cut? That unwashed hippie look he was sporting last year was the worst. 

Mahomes and the Chiefs look to be rolling, even with his potential left wrist injury.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jeezus, how many people from Pittsburgh post here? 😁

Steeler nation is a real thing.

Not from Pittsburgh but live in the northern panhandle of WV which is more or less a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Glad they won but if we had won in regulation Watt wouldn't have gotten hurt.  

• Love 2

Vikings dominate the Packers from start to finish and win 23-7. Lousy start for the Packers as they looked bad on both sides of the ball, while the Vikings looked great, their defense was much improved from last season and the offense had a solid, balanced attack, with Justin Jefferson looking great.

Giants beat the Titans 21-20 as Brian Daboll elects to go for 2 and the win after a late TD, gutsy move that I liked and the Giants get a nice win.

Chargers beat the Raiders 24-19, Herbert looked very sharp while Carr didn’t, 3 INT’s for Carr, Raiders still managed to keep it close but I have no confidence in the Raiders or Carr.

Chiefs showed they still have a great offense as they blow out the Cards, I think people are forgetting just how strong of a team the Chiefs have still, they looked great.

• Love 1

Is the Giants game real life? That has to be the wildest finish I've seen in years.

I was ready to roast Brian Daboll for going for two after that final touchdown, but, gosh, did it pay off. Who knows how good the Giants will actually be this season but if Daboll does the unthinkable and actually rights this ship, we can all point to this victory to where it all started.

Also, I'm not sure I want to rank the Packers among the elites anymore. They looked like an absolute train wreck. Aaron Rodgers looks like a guy who doesn't know who he can throw the ball to. This could get ugly in Green Bay.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Is the Giants game real life? That has to be the wildest finish I've seen in years.

I was ready to roast Brian Daboll for going for two after that final touchdown, but, gosh, did it pay off. Who knows how good the Giants will actually be this season but if Daboll does the unthinkable and actually rights this ship, we can all point to this victory to where it all started.

Also, I'm not sure I want to rank the Packers among the elites anymore. They looked like an absolute train wreck. Aaron Rodgers looks like a guy who doesn't know who he can throw the ball to. This could get ugly in Green Bay.

I don’t want to overreact cause it’s just Week 1 but that was a lousy performance from the Packers, and their offense looks like it could be in big trouble, Adams made up such a huge part of their offense last year that they just looked lost without him. And I expected a lot more from the defense but they gave up quite a few big plays.

5 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Chiefs showed they still have a great offense as they blow out the Cards, I think people are forgetting just how strong of a team the Chiefs have still, they looked great.

Kyler Murray also looks like he isn't doing his independent study. That play on fourth down near the end of the 2nd quarter where he missed a wide open receiver? Maybe Tony Romo was right and the play happened so fast that Murray never saw him but the play was designed that way so I'm not sure that's much of an excuse.

The Chiefs look good- I don't think there's any doubt on that. They do need a running game and they need a receiver who will take the load off of Travis Kelce. JuJu Smith-Shuster had some nice numbers but he's no Tyreek Hill and he needs to be better holding on to the ball.

3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t want to overreact cause it’s just Week 1 but that was a lousy performance from the Packers, and their offense looks like it could be in big trouble, Adams made up such a huge part of their offense last year that they just looked lost without him. And I expected a lot more from the defense but they gave up quite a few big plays.

I know, I shouldn't overreact because it's Week 1...but the Packers looked beyond sloppy. There seems to be a lot of chemistry issues on that offence, and it could be a while before they sort it out, if they ever do. Will the season still be salvageable by that point?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Steeler nation is a real thing.

Not from Pittsburgh but live in the northern panhandle of WV which is more or less a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Glad they won but if we had won in regulation Watt wouldn't have gotten hurt. 

I'm not sure about that.  It seemed like a cumulative thing.  Maybe if the game ends faster there's time to rest, but it feels like this was going to happen down the road.

The worst-case scenario is that Watt is done, but it would've been worse if this had occurred late(r) in the season.  There's still time to adjust, so there's slight optimism.  While on the opposite side, Ben went down, and a winless season was brought up, but then Pittsburgh found themselves in a spot where they needed to win one of their last 3 games to finish with a winning record (following some painful losses to Seattle, San Francisco, and Baltimore)

2 minutes ago, Carey said:

I'm not sure about that.  It seemed like a cumulative thing.  Maybe if the game ends faster there's time to rest, but it feels like this was going to happen down the road.

The worst-case scenario is that Watt is done, but it would've been worse if this had occurred late(r) in the season.  There's still time to adjust, so there's slight optimism.  While on the opposite side, Ben went down, and a winless season was brought up, but then Pittsburgh found themselves in a spot where they needed to win one of their last 3 games to finish with a winning record (following some painful losses to Seattle, San Francisco, and Baltimore)

You never know what is going to happen after a starter gets hurts.  If Tommy Maddox hadn't got hurt in the second game of Ben's rookie season most likely we wouldn't have played in the AFC championship game. And Ben probably wouldn't have had the career he had.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Aaron Rodgers looks like a guy who doesn't know who he can throw the ball to. This could get ugly in Green Bay

You say this like it’s a bad thing.  

16 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

You never know what is going to happen after a starter gets hurts

Four words:  Drew Bledsoe.  Mo Lewis.   

• Like 4
  • Love 1