Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

And Bucs/Cowboys is very intriguing as I’m curious to see how Brady plays after a tumultuous offseason and with 3 new starters on the O-Line, and the Cowboys will be interesting as well.

As Buc's fans, we question Brady's readiness for football too since everything's been so hush-hush.    FWIW, we're sick of the drama and constant media attention to his every move.  Stay and play the game or go and enjoy retirement.  Just make up your damn mind!!  ;)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Carey said:

Before I forget, Rams survive vs Buffalo.  Home team in the NFL kickoff wins at least 80% of the time, I believe

Interesting fact!  I like the Rams based on no other reason than the Bills are probably going to lose a few games this year, so why wouldn't a west coast game against the defending champions be one of those games?

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I am ridiculously excited to learn tonight's game is on network TV, so not until next Thursday do I have to deal with the annoyance at having to watch via Prime.

SAME.

Every time they show that ridiculous LA logo, especially next to the old St. Louis helmet, I hate it a little bit more.

Meh.  I don't think it's worth losing sleep over.  The Thursday slate usually sucks.  That said, it's still real football.  FWIW, the game 2 weeks from now, you can skip that.

I'll post my stuff sometime between Friday and Sunday before the early games kickoff.  I guess I'm late but it's not a big deal.  Right now, I have both Los Angeles & Buffalo winning their respective divisions, regardless of what happens.  Unless there's a significant injury, nothing matters tonight that'll make a difference whether I post everything before the first game or after it.  I do have the Rams beating the Bills tonight.  It's about 15-2 for defending champs winning their home opener to start the season, 16-2 for the team playing at home, and 15-3 for the reigning NFL Championship winners.

I actually don't have either team winning the Super Bowl.  It's tough to repeat; as for the Bills, they probably need to gain homefield advantage to have a chance (plus, avoid a premiere AFC North opponent that can win on the road).  If Tampa or San Francisco get it together, they could gain revenge on LA

• Love 1

Second turnover already for the Bills after a terrific opening drive. The sloppy play is killing the Bills, they have moved the ball very well and their defense has shut down the Rams. The Rams need to turn Stafford loose and let him throw some deep balls, the Bills corners are young and the Rams receiver have an advantage there.

And Stafford gets picked and the Bills have the ball back.

Game tied at 10 at halftime. Very good game, Bills played better for most of the half, but the 3 turnovers really hurt them and slowed their momentum. Rams struggled to get things going at the start but they’ve found a rhythm. Somewhat of a sloppy game, 4 combined TO’s, but that’s to be expected at the start of the season. 

• Love 1

The good news is that I can turn in early (as I have to be up super early despite having the day off).  15-2 is Buffalo's mark to lose; this game means nothing if the Bills croak against the Chiefs again to where it becomes a holiday tradition.  Not sure about the aftermath if they fall to Cincinnati.

Getting to the Superbowl should be simple, but I'll be fair: it's WAY too early to crown anyone.  Just saying it'll be a painful loss if they don't get to the Superbowl.  Despite 0-4, they don't have to win it (unless Tampa or Philly is the NFC Champion).  I don't know if I'll laugh more if the Eagles beat the Bills or of the Niners beat the Bills.

Way too early to crush the Rams as well.  They're still not New England, but the Patriots, the last team to lose its opener at the champs, nearly repeated (which would've been a 3-peat), as they were pummeled by Kansas City (Mahomes debut on the roster)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Finally we have ourselves a game

Or not.  Good gods.  I wonder if ODB Jr. has changed his outfit to something in the Bills colors instead.

When your QB's best play of the game is tackling the guy who intercepted him ... damn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Bills win it, they absolutely clobbered the Rams in the second half, Allen was fantastic, made some great plays in the air and on the ground, and the Bills had a great game plan, nice mix of rushing and passing plays. The Rams looked outmatched all around, it’s clear they need to find other receivers besides Kupp (where was Allen Robinson, and they missed Van Jefferson), and they need some guys to step up on defense, and their O-Line was weak, Stafford was sacked 7 times, they have a lot of work to do. The Bills looked great all around. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

That was a wonderful, exceptional and complete performance by the Buffalo Bills. If they can play like that all year, no one can beat them. Of course, it's a long season so I doubt they'll play that well in each game, but if they can play like that come playoff time, I just might Bill-eve they're Super Bowl contenders.

Only problem I really had tonight is ball security, because you can't win that many games turning it over four times. Josh Allen's interceptions I can let go because they were great plays by the Rams. The running backs, though, need to be better holding on to the ball.

I might also have a new favourite player. I love Josh and all (and I probably always will), but after how well he did today, how can you not fall in love with Boogie Basham? The name is enough by itself.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

If they can play like that all year, no one can beat them.

Well if they can get after the quarterback the way they did in this game, that will go a long way.  I think one sack was due to a bad snap, but other than that free one, the Bills were terrific up front, and that of course made it easier on the young DBs.

I'd like to see them figure out a way to effectively run the ball with running backs. It feels like they wanted to get Cook involved and he immediately fumbled. Heh, rookies...

As for the Rams, yeesh. Not a good performance from the offensive line. They better get that unit up and running quickly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Well if they can get after the quarterback the way they did in this game, that will go a long way.  I think one sack was due to a bad snap, but other than that free one, the Bills were terrific up front, and that of course made it easier on the young DBs.

I'd like to see them figure out a way to effectively run the ball with running backs. It feels like they wanted to get Cook involved and he immediately fumbled. Heh, rookies...

As for the Rams, yeesh. Not a good performance from the offensive line. They better get that unit up and running quickly.

Adding in Von Miller is clearly a huge boost for the Bills defense, and the Bills already had a strong defense last year.

The Rams have some holes, it’s just Week 1 so I’m not going to overreact, they are still a good team, but their O-Line needs to improve and they need to find other guys on offense besides Kupp. 

I was watching Queen Elizabeth reporting on The BBC and they did a piece on tributes around the world, and it made me giggle when they showed SoFi and said there was a moment of silence before “the opening match of the season for the National Football League”.  Wrong football term, BBC.

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think the opposite. The Bills missed having a good ground game last season, so an attempt to be less one-dimensional would be ideal. Devin Singletary had a good game but I want to see more if I'm going to believe he'll be the answer at running back. I'm also hopeful James Cook breaks out, just so the Bills have more options on the ground (and because I'm still not sold on Singletary).

Just like having a great defensive line will make all the difference on the other side of the ball, having a great ground game will be the difference on offence. As much as I love him as a player, especially his compete level and his willingness to win, I don't think Josh Allen is really all that great as a runner. He's got great vision but he's not very fast nor is he really that graceful. Good in spurts but not good enough to carry a running game.

So, someone needs to step up in that role big time for Buffalo.

• Love 1

I’m worried for Josh Allen’s health- he got beaten up a lot since he’s a mobile quarterback and was under a pile of linebackers a few times. If he is injured the Bills are toast, so I don’t know why they don’t try to protect him more. I love that he’s a mobile and versatile quarterback, but learn how to slide!

I think the bigger issue is the Bills offensive line isn't that great, but Allen can cover for them.  This is Josh's 5th season; I think he needs to tone it down, while Buffalo addresses whatever to help him do that.  Trend more toward Steve Young, and less toward Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger

I don't think Buffalo's O-Line is a problem because they make the running game better than it actually is. Plus, Josh Allen gets sacked about as often as Tom Brady is and less than Ben Roethlisberger, who is arguably a more comparable player to Allen is than Brady is.

That said, I do worry sometimes about Josh's health because he does take quite a few licks that he probably shouldn't. He's still fairly young (26), so he has several more years left before those hits will come back to bite him, but his style of play does leave him at a greater risk of suffering some kind of freak injury just because he stretches out weirdly trying to get one or two extra yards.

The conundrum is how do you mitigate that? Josh's fearlessness and his desire are what drives him as a player and drives his success- do you really tell him to "slow down and play it safe" when that's just not who he is and who he is has led you to so much success?

Plus, for how dangerous his style of play looks, Josh has yet to miss a game in his career (aside from not starting in Week 1 in his rookie campaign). Of course, that could be down to just simple luck, but that stat does stick out. I might be more amenable to saying Josh needs to tone it down if he'd already suffered a terrible injury at this point in his career and he hasn't.

So it's a bit tricky. On one hand, you don't want him to get hurt but, on the other hand, Josh Allen's fearlessness and desire is what makes him the player he is. I might just ride it out until it becomes a problem (and hope that it never does).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

At least those are legitimate dreams...stuff that can happen.

I remember a dream I had a decade and a half ago.  Basically the main part was Brady throwing a game-ending interception in Indianapolis.  It was batted in the air by both the WR & the DB and stayed in the air for a good 15 seconds.  The thing is that the game within my dream was at the same time; can't remember if it was NBC or CBS, but it wasn't called by Nantz/Simms.  Instead, it was called by Al Michaels (with John Madden on color).  It was spooky since it was a few days removed from Halloween, the previous game in the same venue had Tom throwing a pick to complete a blown 18-point lead, and it was on the weekend of November 3rd / November 4th.

NFL dreams are not unusual at all.  That I can agree with whoever has that thought

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Carey said:

At least those are legitimate dreams...stuff that can happen.

I remember a dream I had a decade and a half ago.  Basically the main part was Brady throwing a game-ending interception in Indianapolis.  It was batted in the air by both the WR & the DB and stayed in the air for a good 15 seconds.  The thing is that the game within my dream was at the same time; can't remember if it was NBC or CBS, but it wasn't called by Nantz/Simms.  Instead, it was called by Al Michaels (with John Madden on color).  It was spooky since it was a few days removed from Halloween, the previous game in the same venue had Tom throwing a pick to complete a blown 18-point lead, and it was on the weekend of November 3rd / November 4th.

NFL dreams are not unusual at all.  That I can agree with whoever has that thought

Oh the dream was more weird than what I described. Just I cant recall all the vague details. Colts weren't even playing the Texans I think the rams and the rams 'back up' qb finished the game but it was some guy I'd never heard of....other odd things. 

Sunday and Monday night games are the worst.  I can't sleep after them. Especially after a loss. 

But at least I'm not a jets fan. Can't imagine the nightmares they endure.  Some Freddy Krueger attacking your qb stuff

• LOL 4

MY 2022 STANDINGS

AFCW: Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs

AFCS: Colts, Titans, Jaguars, Texans

AFCE: Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets

AFCN: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers

NFCW: Niners, Rams, Cards,Seahawks

NFCS: Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Falcons

NFCE: Eagles, Commanders, Cowboys, Giants

NFCN: Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions

AFC Postseason

WC: Los Angeles over Kansas City // Indianapolis over Las Vegas // Baltimore over Denver

DR: Baltimore over Buffalo // Los Angeles over Indianapolis

AFCCG: Los Angeles over Baltimore

NFC Postseason

WC: New Orleans over Minnesota // Philadelphia over Washington // San Francisco over Green Bay

DR: New Orleans over Tampa Bay // San Francisco over Philadelphia

NFCCG: San Francisco over New Orleans

SUPER BOWL LVII: Los Angeles Chargers over San Francisco 49ers

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Carey said:

MY 2022 STANDINGS

AFCW: Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs

AFCS: Colts, Titans, Jaguars, Texans

AFCE: Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets

AFCN: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers

NFCW: Niners, Rams, Cards,Seahawks

NFCS: Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Falcons

NFCE: Eagles, Commanders, Cowboys, Giants

NFCN: Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions

AFC Postseason

WC: Los Angeles over Kansas City // Indianapolis over Las Vegas // Baltimore over Denver

DR: Baltimore over Buffalo // Los Angeles over Indianapolis

AFCCG: Los Angeles over Baltimore

NFC Postseason

WC: New Orleans over Minnesota // Philadelphia over Washington // San Francisco over Green Bay

DR: New Orleans over Tampa Bay // San Francisco over Philadelphia

NFCCG: San Francisco over New Orleans

I can't see trey Lance making a superbowl as basically a rookie starter.  It rarely happens. 

And I can't see the chiefs finishing 4th or missing the playoffs.  Mahommes is a qb like rodgers, manning brady, pencil them in for division title every year.  I know they rarely will miss out but I'm not betting on it happening. 

It looks like the bills year to win.  I know it's only one week but even before the season seems like it's all coming together for them. 

Nfc......I'll go against the recent trend and say rodgers and the packers.   He's a douchebag arrogant Maga prick but he's still talented. 

Bills win. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Details of contract offer for jackson he turned down

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lamar-jackson-rejected-133-124306100.html

Over $130 million guaranteed and about $50 million per year on par with contracts lately for qbs. More guaranteed money than anyone but deshaun Watson.  

Seems like a reasonable offer by the ravens. 

The above is why the rest of the NFL was super-pissed at Cleveland for what they did to get Watson.  To be fair, no one had a problem making fun of the Browns for their QB history (from 1999).  So the Haslams said, "I guess we better get one to get everyone to shut up."

Obviously, Baker Mayfield ain't no DeShaun Watson.  However Cleveland had a QB that topped everything they had in the 19 years before the 2018 Draft.  The Browns had their best season in a while (since years like 2002, 2007, and even 2014).  Mayfield was hurt, but his leadership wasn't that top notch.  Sometimes he showed it, but he is who he is.  Still, the Browns sorta screwed the league.

Chances are Lamar totally takes that deal had it not been for the Browns actions.  Can't blame either the Ravens or Jackson here.  Though I think the 2019 MVP still needs to do a bit more to give him more ammo to get such a deal.  BTW, the fact that the NFL doesn't do guaranteed deals but the other sports do is not that cool.  Smart business decision I suppose, but we're talking about the best position and one of the best players

Edited by Carey
Tags again
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

DrSpaceman73: I think San Francisco can get there in spite of Lance.  Especially if they (have to) go back to Jimmy G.  The NFC is weak this season.  Green Bay, Tampa, and Los Angeles are okay.  The Niners have a rather complete team with the QB situation their biggest question.  If they find fortune, they should be able to get over the hump.  They have had success against the Rams, and we know they can crush the Packers.  I don't think they can beat the Bucs, but if they can avoid tough matchups, it's possible.  BTW, my pick is exclusive of what happened on Thursday.  I don't think LA is going back, even if they looked great, but they certainly can.  Still put that over the other champions in the past (except New England and Kansas City).

As for Kansas City....

16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And I can't see the chiefs finishing 4th or missing the playoffs.  Mahommes is a qb like rodgers, manning brady, pencil them in for division title every year.  I know they rarely will miss out but I'm not betting on it happening. 

....yeah I don't see it either.  Yet I picked them to do just that LOL.  However, if it actually happens, it'll be with a winning record because I actually think the AFC West will be awesome this year.  The good news is that they face the AFC South, but the bad news is that they face the NFC West.  They could have a win in hand with Seattle, but they have to play the game.

To be fair, the Chiefs finishing last in its division is as likely as every team within a division making it into the postseason.  If there's ever a chance for that to happen, this would be the year, but I can't ignore the fact that Cincinnati & Miami (along with Baltimore, Tennessee, and Indy) will have a say.  The AFC North may be a flip between the Bengals and Ravens, with 2nd place as a wildcard.  Miami has a solid chance as the WC as well.

Once again, Thursday's game doesn't factor in to the following in terms of this possibly being the Bills year to win.  They could've lost (close or by a wide margin), and I'd still say this it's their season to lose.  I don't have them making it to the Super Bowl, but I have them as the AFC Top seed, which I think is not only necessary, but will help a ton.  The weather in Buffalo can be a total mess to where pretty much any team other than New England and Baltimore would falter.

Green Bay could get there (SB57).  TBH, I don't need to see A-Rod winning a third MVP in a row without getting to the big game.  I picked Minnesota over GB due to what the latter lost & how I think (and agree with the pundits) the Vikings should be trending upwards with someone that can work with Cousins

Packers' fans long nightmare is over - it's being reported that Aaron Rodgers got a haircut.  The bun is gone, quite short on the sides, a bit longish on top.  Now we can return to speculating on whether David Bakhtiari will  be able to play football again, whether any of the WRs will emerge as a reliable target, and whether their (un)special teams can reach a level to be called adequate.  Normalcy, at least for a couple hours.  

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
On 9/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Here’s my predictions and preview for Week 1 (I plan on doing this for each week of the season) 

Same with me (wanna go head-to-head? LOL!).

I'm not fond of picking games involving the Steelers.  But I might do so from time to time, if not every time.  Either way, I'll give reasons on their games & why one thing or another might play out.  In brief for Week One, Cincy got better & they're at home.  Pittsburgh really didn't but their defense might rise to the occasion this time like they did against Buffalo, who also has blown them out in previous games.

Week One Picks: Atlanta, Carolina, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Arizona, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Tampa, Denver

FTR, I probably would bet that the Steelers will finish ahead of the Browns, and never the opposite.  I don’t bet Pittsburgh stuff.  However, there always seems to be something that has Cleveland looking up to the Steelers.  Even though I’m predicting Baltimore over everyone else in the North, it would be hollow for the Browns to finally top them for nothing.  Win the North or that QB trade was for nothing.

Anyway, as mentioned, I’m not one to even pick Steelers games (I did last year for the first time in some time if not forever).  Whether they lose 59-0, 34-6, cover or win on the moneyline (outright), it’s still one game.  I think they’re in trouble because of the lack of seriousness toward the necessary stuff & even addressing.

Due to their O-Line and competition, I honestly can’t see any games where I can say they will win the game.  Almost similar to last year (save for Chicago & Week 17)!  BTW, Pittsburgh got a tough deal having to face Cincy right out of the gate, but then for the rematch, the Steelers, while at home, face the Bengals coming off of a bye week.  Steelers travel to Cleveland on a short week; the structure is not favorable.  Somehow, the Steelers might bottom out at 8-8-1, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s their first losing season in a long time

13 hours ago, Carey said:

Neither one of them is getting anywhere near the Super Bowl this season. The Chargers will find a way to mess it up like they always do. Plus other than their fans (if they have any left) who really want to see the Chargers in the Super Bowl anyway? As for the 49ers, something will definitely go wrong for the 49ers this season. Plus, I will never ever root for somebody (Kyle Shanahan) who was involved in that 28-3 epic choking in the Super Bowl. He really sucks.

And Bucs/Cowboys is very intriguing as I’m curious to see how Brady plays after a tumultuous offseason and with 3 new starters on the O-Line, and the Cowboys will be interesting as well.

As Buc's fans, we question Brady's readiness for football too since everything's been so hush-hush.    FWIW, we're sick of the drama and constant media attention to his every move.  Stay and play the game or go and enjoy retirement.  Just make up your damn mind!!  ;)

Just like last season on Week 1, it is a lose-lose type of game for me. Both of those teams are very unrootable & either team winning this game is a loss for me.

The 2022 season is about to start. Yay. Here's to another season of pure failure for Jerry Jones, the Cowboys, & their fans.

• Love 1

NFL Sunday Ticket is fucking impossible - first Sunday of the year and the app is down and is blacking out all of the games and apparently it’s happening for a ton of people. Fuck Directv, I am so happy the NFL package will no longer be on Directv after this season, what a goddamn joke.

Some interesting stuff so far -

Dolphins up 10-0 on the Pats as Mac Jones is strip sacked and the Fins run it in for the TD.

Steelers up 10-3 on the Bengals, Burrow with 2 picks already, lousy start for the Bengals, I wonder if the hangover of losing the Super Bowl will affect them.

Falcons go up on the Saints, let’s go Falcons! 

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

NFL Sunday Ticket is fucking impossible - first Sunday of the year and the app is down and is blacking out all of the games and apparently it’s happening for a ton of people. Fuck Directv, I am so happy the NFL package will no longer be on Directv after this season, what a goddamn joke.

RedZone > NFL Sunday Ticket

• Love 3

Most surprising result so far is the Steelers up 17-6 on the Bengals, Burrow with 4 TO’s so far.

Eagles offense looks strong, they’re up 24-14 on the Lions.

Falcons up 16-7 at halftime, maybe they can be better than expected. It would be nice to beat the Saints.

Colts have looked terrible against the Texans, they are down 10-3.

Joe Burrow was a turnover machine last year, was he not?  Felt like some of their playoff fortune was in spite of him.

Watching highlights during Philly/Detroit halftime (because I am sure as hell not watching Dolphins/Pats) and they went to Carolina. I was like yeah go Baker go … aaaaaand he threw an interception.

Also Terry Bradshaw’s voice sounds absolutely terrible; I hope it’s just a cold.

FOX is still using cartoons for player pics and it’s still stupid.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Joe Burrow was a turnover machine last year, was he not?  Felt like some of their playoff fortune was in spite of him.

Watching highlights during Philly/Detroit halftime (because I am sure as hell not watching Dolphins/Pats) and they went to Carolina. I was like yeah go Baker go … aaaaaand he threw an interception.

Also Terry Bradshaw’s voice sounds absolutely terrible; I hope it’s just a cold.

FOX is still using cartoons for player pics and it’s still stupid.

Burrow threw 14 INT’s last season, he wasn’t a huge turnover machine.

Texans are up 20-3 on the Colts now, Matt Ryan has played like shit, while the Falcons are now up 23-10 on the Saints and Mariota is playing well. This is what makes the NFL so fun to watch, you never know what will go down.

• Love 1

Falcons shit the fucking bed once again in the 4th quarter, blowing a 26-10 lead and they trail 27-26 with 19 seconds. Fucking unbelievable. We are fucking cursed. Fuck fuck fuck.

Bengals tie the Steelers but the game winning XP is blocked!! Holy shit!!