Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Another terrible roughing the passer call, this time against KC, this is totally absurd, that was not a penalty. Buck and Aikman are ripping the refs.

Agreed. It feels like they threw it to justify yesterday's call. Both are bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

That was the softest tackle on Mahomes I’ve seen. Tackle at the waist and didn’t get on him. Nobody wants a roughing the passer penalty.

Did I see an illegal pick that got Kelce open? Oh well, Chiefs winning and fans back to chanting and tomahawk chopping. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Yeah I was in the shower, thinking that either Kansas City would get a meaningful lead or Vegas would do something; either way a nice finish coming up.  I heard the TD and I was sorta thinking "It's Kelce Again" and I was right

• Love 1
1 minute ago, twoods said:

Why go for 2? Why are head coaches making dumb calls this week?

I didn’t really get either decision, but especially Andy Reid’s decision, that was just dumb. I guess McDaniels doesn’t trust his defense at all so he went for it, but I didn’t think that was all that great of a move either.

• Like 2

Chiefs stop the Raiders and get the win 30-29. McDaniels decision to go for 2 comes back and bites the Raiders in the ass - stuff like this is why I don’t trust the Raiders and don’t think McDaniels is a good coach. Nice win for the Chiefs, Mahomes was impressive once again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

He was trying to be cute (both of them were). These are big games on the line and these are professionals who make the worst decisions. I just don’t understand it at all. Wasted opportunity for the Raiders to steal a win in Arrowhead.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, twoods said:

He was trying to be cute (both of them were). These are big games on the line and these are professionals who make the worst decisions. I just don’t understand it at all. Wasted opportunity for the Raiders to steal a win in Arrowhead.

He was trying to be Harbaugh.  Hoping that he can hang w/the big boys.

It’s your first year as a HC, you don’t try trick plays or showboating, or taking chances until you can establish an identity and have the full faith of your team.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4

Fun fact: Jerome Boger is the NFL's longest tenured referee in terms of continuous service, having been a referee since 2006. Bill Vinovich did become a referee in 2004, but he also took six years off from 2006 to 2012.

Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

He was trying to be Harbaugh.  Hoping that he can hang w/the big boys.

It’s your first year as a HC, you don’t try trick plays or showboating, or taking chances until you can establish an identity and have the full faith of your team.

I feel like ever since Mike Shanahan went for two successfully as coach of the Broncos in Week 2 of the 2008 season against San Diego more people feel like they could try it. "If it worked for him, it can work for me", that kind of thing.

...and I guess some coaches just don't want to appear "passive", so they pull a gambit like Josh McDaniels did.

I just think they're overthinking themselves.

Going for two when an extra point is all you need to tie is one of those plays where, if you make it, you're hailed as "gutsy" but if you fail it, you're raked over the coals. For me, the risk is just too great, especially late in the game.

Imagine this loss is the difference between the Raiders making the playoffs or not making the playoffs...McDaniels doesn't look so bright now, does he?

• Love 5

Going for 2 was the right call.    You don't play to tie, you play to win.   A tie means OT.   And we all know what can happen with Kansas City in OT.   The KC D had trouble stopping Davante Adams all night.   It was the right call to make at that time in the game.   

• Love 2

I mean you could look back at the past few/several years and find some analysts that chose to waste a minute saying, "I wonder if coach/team should have gone for two there.  Because if the game goes into overtime & they lose the coin-toss, they might not get a chance in OT when a Mahomes or a Brady or a Peyton or an Aaron goes down the field & gets into the endzone."

For what it's worth, it's a damn if you do, damn if you don't scenario in the NFL.  Had they got it, then they win the game since they did stop the Chiefs.  As mentioned, they missed AND then made a stop.  They're driving for a WFG but turned it over on downs.  As worst, they play for OT, but at the same time they can't get too reckless where Kansas City gets the ball back with decent field position.

Just to be clear, I would've kicked the PAT.  Maybe going for two if this had happened toward/at the end of regulation would've been okay.  However, you have to take points.  This is McDaniels' second stint as a HC but he still isn't Harbaugh.  Not much of a HC resume to be trying for that.  The points left on the table isn't just Josh or John, but it's across the league passing up FGs and even when it's field position people go for it and don't get there.  The Chargers are a nice example.

So people today in sports media will be running that to the ground instead of ripping Vegas for blowing yet another big lead.  That's a bigger deal than going for 2.

Meh.  It was still a good game, but these games are 60 minutes.  Just like the Falcons/Bucs game.  Play better, and one play isn't brought up much, if at all, in terms of winning & losing

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Carey said:

Just to be clear, I would've kicked the PAT.  Maybe going for two if this had happened toward/at the end of regulation would've been okay.  However, you have to take points. 

Exactly

There were more than four minutes on the clock.  Enough time to stop the Chiefs (which they kinda did.  The FG was wide), and get the ball back. The Raiders did get it back, but stupid penalties and stupid routes, stopped them.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Going for 2 was the right call.    You don't play to tie, you play to win.   A tie means OT.   And we all know what can happen with Kansas City in OT.   The KC D had trouble stopping Davante Adams all night.   It was the right call to make at that time in the game.   

If this was college and I'm Tulane going for a signature win against Alabama, sure, go for two because I wouldn't be so sure of being able to hold off the Crimson Tide in overtime.

This is the NFL. No team should ever think another team is so scary that they can't stop them. The talent gap isn't that wide.

Furthermore, if the Raiders could put up 17 points on the Chiefs and stop them for almost a whole half, they certainly had within them at least the knowledge that they could hang with them and find a way to beat them. I'm fully aware of what the Chiefs can do in overtime, but it's no excuse. Las Vegas shouldn't think "we can't beat these guys"- they ought to believe that they can.

• Love 2

Well I was 7 - 9 on my week 5 picks, I suppose that's not too bad considering I picked who I wanted to win opposed to who is the better team. On to week 6!

Commanders* vs. Bears (looking forward to another enthralling game)
Vikings* vs Dolphins

Patriots* vs Browns
49ers vs Falcons*
Buccaneers vs Steelers*
Bengals* vs Saints
Ravens vs Giants*
Jets* vs Packers
Jaguars vs Colts*
Cardinals vs Seahawks* (don't really care but lime green highlighter suits are weird!)
Panthers vs Rams*
Bills* vs Chiefs
Cowboys vs Eagles* (I want the Cowboys' spirits broken before Vikings play them)
Broncos vs Chargers*

Edited by Lamb18
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-weighs-in-on-controversial-roughing-penalty-calls-grady-jarretts-sack-a-long-unwelcome-hug/

Weird.  The article I copied isn’t what pasted into my last post.  Here’s what I intended to share.  Dumb Safari.

What a fucking drama queen.  It's amazing how quickly my feelings about Brady plummeted after he reneged on his retirement.  He's the GOAT, but he's so goddamn tedious.

• Love 3
On 10/10/2022 at 6:55 PM, ChitChat said:

No need to rip the QBs a new one, because this is the ref's call, not theirs!!

Yes, it's on the refs, but when Brady is the QB whining to them in search of a bullshit call, as per his usual toddler self, that's part of the conversation, too.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, mojoween said:

The networks could do us all a favor and turn down the field mics when the Kansas City fans start the wretched tomahawk chop and also start talking while it’s going on,

I generally think it's better to include it and comment on its heinousness, but it happens often and game callers just let it pass instead, so as bad as that is I think at this stage of reality it may be it better to just not give it airtime during a game, period, but talk about it on analysis programs.  Pathetic, generally, and especially in this the year 2022.

It was only a couple of years ago they prohibited war paint and headdresses in the stadium (I don't know how well that's being enforced, though).  Good for them, finally, but, seriously, we're still listening to the "well, but ..." rationalizations for the name and chant with a straight face (I particularly love the no, it's about the white dude mayor argument, as if he didn't blatantly appropriate native culture)?!  Why should I be surprised, of course, in a league that only last season pushed hard enough for a team to change its name from a blatant ethnic slur?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

What a fucking drama queen.  It's amazing how quickly my feelings about Brady plummeted after he reneged on his retirement.  He's the GOAT, but he's so goddamn tedious.

I feel like he is now being talked about more for his diva attitude and his off the field life than his performance in the games.  

• Love 5

On Monday Night Football, Maxx Crosby's first sack of Mahomes was just a bear hug long enough to get the sack.  That's fair enough, I suppose.

It would be interesting to see TB12's reaction if the refs end the play (for the sack) if the defense gets to him without even trying to throw him to the ground

56 minutes ago, Carey said:

It would be interesting to see TB12's reaction if the refs end the play (for the sack) if the defense gets to him without even trying to throw him to the ground

I swear to god I won't be surprised if they eventually put a flag on QBs.  Pull the flag off then it's a sack.  

• Wink 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And so begins the complete demise of the Raiders' season. 🙄

I say this as a lifelong Raiders fan. 

Well, last year, they had a receiver who killed someone in a drunk driving incident.  So this may be an upgrade.

• Love 5

God Brett Favre is a piece of shit.  The more I read about his scandal the more shady and scummy he looks. 

And trying to claim he is being smeared and didn't know where the money was coming from. Even though he admitted it in one text 

Go to hell, giant douche. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And so begins the complete demise of the Raiders' season.

It's sad to see any of these guys make stupid decisions like that.  They should be grown up enough to make better decisions.  Sadly, we see this from players from almost every team.  The Buc's have had their share of them make an ass out of themselves:  Antonio Brown, just to name one!!

• Love 1

AB was a special level of crazy. 

This is the first time I have ever heard of anything from Adams, but TBH I didn't really follow him at all during his career in GB.

Just a stupid thing to do, likely borne of frustration. But you don't take it out on others. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

AB was a special level of crazy. 

I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he first came to play for the Bucs.  Boy was I wrong in my initial assessment of him!  Lesson learned.  I will now give a player about 6 months to prove that he's not a wackadoodle before I defend him!!

I'm no lawyer, but, since I assume that Davante Adams has no criminal record, he'll probably be able to plea bargain his way to a conditional discharge (stay out of trouble for X years and he'll have no criminal record). He may have to pay the medical fees of the photographer, Ryan Tepley, and make a public apology but I can't see it getting that much worse. It's pretty clear from the video that the shove was one borne of frustration and little more.

It's not something prosecutors will want to waste a lot of time on.

Adams may not be so lucky with the NFL. At the very least it's a bad look for players to be shoving cameramen, so I doubt they'll go easy on him. I mean, maybe he won't get DeShaun Watson's suspension but a suspension of at least four games seems to be in play.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Lamb18: Talk about early picks!  I say that b/c I was ready to post TNF on Wednesday, which is early enough, but not that early LOL!

I'll pick the other stuff on the weekend, but Bears vs Washington precedes it.  Chicago is favored over the Commanders by just 1.0.  37.5 is the O/U.

Prediction: Thursday Night Football ends in a tie.  Chicago is living garbage, but Washington would need to win here to spare Rivera's job there.  It would be more than a miracle if either team wins another Superbowl, but this is one of the two games I'd say you'd skip prior to Ravens/Bucs.  To close, ATS, Washington covers, but no way that over hits tomorrow night

6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

This is the first time I have ever heard of anything from Adams, but TBH I didn't really follow him at all during his career in GB.

Just a stupid thing to do, likely borne of frustration. But you don't take it out on others. 

I'm a Packers fan and this feels very shocking to me.  He was a pretty even keeled dude in GB.  He was confident but not a diva.  It makes me wonder if there's more frustrating him than just that one game.   He left a QB who always looked for him (sometimes hurting offensive production as a result) for his best bud. 

3 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I'm no lawyer, but, since I assume that Davante Adams has no criminal record, he'll probably be able to plea bargain his way to a conditional discharge (stay out of trouble for X years and he'll have no criminal record). He may have to pay the medical fees of the photographer, Ryan Tepley, and make a public apology but I can't see it getting that much worse. It's pretty clear from the video that the shove was one borne of frustration and little more.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fiscal settlement comes and the case gets dropped. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

It's pretty clear from the video that the shove was one borne of frustration and little more.

We're used to seeing these guys occasionally take out their frustrations on each other (not that it's okay to do that), but to push somebody on the sidelines like that really goes beyond the pale.  These players have a lot of strength and can hurt someone pretty easily.  I'm not saying the player needs to go to prison, but the NFL needs to come down swiftly with a suspension and fines to show that this kind of behavior is not okay in the workplace.  It's a job, players.  Treat it as such. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

but to push somebody on the sidelines like that really goes beyond the pale.  T

Somebody who was doing their job and just happened to cross Adams' path when he was pissed off.   Like the guy didn't even DO anything to Adams.   There are always camera crew walking around the sidelines.    Sometimes they get hit during the action, and that's just part of the game.   But for Adams to go off on the guy just because ADAMS was not happy is beyond the pale as you said.

The guy did the right thing filing a police report.   Maybe other players will think twice before taking out their frustration on somebody just doing their job.   Adams won't face more than a fine for this, even if he doesn't get a conditional discharge.   But it will let the players know this crap won't be tolerated.

Now the guy who filed the police report after Bobby Wagner tackled him when he ran on the field, should be laughed out of court.   Dude, you ran onto the field, what did you THINK would happen?   

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Somebody who was doing their job and just happened to cross Adams' path when he was pissed off.   Like the guy didn't even DO anything to Adams.   There are always camera crew walking around the sidelines.    Sometimes they get hit during the action, and that's just part of the game.   But for Adams to go off on the guy just because ADAMS was not happy is beyond the pale as you said.

The guy did the right thing filing a police report.   Maybe other players will think twice before taking out their frustration on somebody just doing their job.   Adams won't face more than a fine for this, even if he doesn't get a conditional discharge.   But it will let the players know this crap won't be tolerated.

Now the guy who filed the police report after Bobby Wagner tackled him when he ran on the field, should be laughed out of court.   Dude, you ran onto the field, what did you THINK would happen?   

Yeah, the guy was in his rights to file the report.  And the courts may do the right thing and throw the case out

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

We're used to seeing these guys occasionally take out their frustrations on each other (not that it's okay to do that), but to push somebody on the sidelines like that really goes beyond the pale.  These players have a lot of strength and can hurt someone pretty easily.  I'm not saying the player needs to go to prison, but the NFL needs to come down swiftly with a suspension and fines to show that this kind of behavior is not okay in the workplace.  It's a job, players.  Treat it as such. 

It's why I think the NFL will hand down a significant suspension (probably at least four games) but the courts will likely let him off. The players- and the rest of the NFL universe- need to be assured that what Davante Adams did is not OK and the players shouldn't ever think of doing what he did, but I doubt anyone thinks Adams won't learn from this and correct his behaviour. We're not dealing with Antonio Brown or Pacman Jones here- Adams clearly just made a mistake that was out of character for him. A big mistake where you have to send a message, but simply a mistake.

11 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I suppose the only out that fan has is whether or not he can argue that Bobby Wagner and the Rams security personnel used excessive force. I'm not sure because all it looked like was Wagner shoved him to the ground in an effort to get the fan to stop running (because the security personnel were having their own difficulties catching up to him). It's not like Wagner picked him up, slammed him to the ground, and then repeated the process a couple of times. What James Harrison did to the Browns fan (who reportedly turned his life around completely) was worse, and Harrison- to my knowledge- was never the subject of a civil or criminal complaint because of his tackle.

So if Harrison can avoid legal repercussions for that hit, I'm sure Wagner will too.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

It's why I think the NFL will hand down a significant suspension (probably at least four games) but the courts will likely let him off. The players- and the rest of the NFL universe- need to be assured that what Davante Adams did is not OK and the players shouldn't ever think of doing what he did, but I doubt anyone thinks Adams won't learn from this and correct his behaviour. We're not dealing with Antonio Brown or Pacman Jones here- Adams clearly just made a mistake that was out of character for him. A big mistake where you have to send a message, but simply a mistake.

Here is where I'll agree: Davante will win in court, but still face discipline from the league.  Here is where I'll agree to disagree: the length of a suspension.  At least four games?  Doubtful.  If they go heavy on him, really it's the league caring about its reputation before the cameraman.

If I'm Adams, I would take the NFL to court the second he gets that kind of suspension.  He might win there.  I think he'll have a case based on the fact that the league has failed bigtime in the area of security during their games (examples being The Rams/Niners game, years back with Harrison, and all those times the NFL "pocketed" the views of those calls Kevin Harlan made when a fan entered the playing area).  People are not supposed to be on the field.  It's not just the NFL; it's happened in baseball, and even outside of sports where celebrities have actually been killed.

Just to be clear, this is a bad look for Davante Adams, and he should get punished.  However, I can see how this could've played out.  Not a shocker from me.  Unnecessary and ugly?  Sure, but the heat of the moment made this not a stunning event

Edited by Carey
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Carey said:

Sure, but the heat of the moment made this not a stunning event

This was not a heat of the moment thing.   The camera guy was EXACTLY where he was supposed to be doing EXACTLY what he was supposed to be doing.   The game was over.   Adams was walking off the field.   Camera guys cross paths of players ALL THE DAMN TIME.   They should be safe from being shoved just because some PROFESSIONAL player decided to take his frustrations out on some innocent person.    

I do NOT agree it will get thrown out of court.    There was literally no justification for it.   It was a completely unprovoked attack.   Walking in front of someone is NOT justification for being shoved.   Being frustrated over the outcome of a game does not excuse shoving someone just doing their job.   Now if the camera guy had bumped Adams -- MAYBE -- that would be defense.   But that didn't happen.  Adams saw someone in front of him and CHOSE to shove him violently.   He could have walked around him, he could have slowed for a second to let the guy cross.   This was a deliberate act of violence on a person who had done nothing wrong.

Now having said that, like I said earlier, this is 1) only a misdemeanor and 2) he's looking at a fine at MOST and more like deferred adjudication.   This is not going to harm Adams career or make it unlikely he can find a job in his post football life.   But he does need to be held accountable.   And not just brushed off as "oh well he's sorry and it was out of character" or worse "heat of the moment."      

• Applause 3
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

This was not a heat of the moment thing.   The camera guy was EXACTLY where he was supposed to be doing EXACTLY what he was supposed to be doing.   The game was over.   Adams was walking off the field.   Camera guys cross paths of players ALL THE DAMN TIME.   They should be safe from being shoved just because some PROFESSIONAL player decided to take his frustrations out on some innocent person.    

2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He could have walked around him, he could have slowed for a second to let the guy cross. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that it's up to Davante Adams to stop walking for the cameraman to run across the pathway between the field and the tunnel?  The cameraman has every right not to wait until any player gets back to the locker room because said cameraman is a bigger deal than a high profile NFL player?

In defense of the cameraman, Adams needs to keep his head up and focus on what's in front of him.  That guy, likely a big part of the Chiefs organization, is working there too.  He has a job to do.  Obviously he has to be better, but maybe Kansas City needs to patrol their areas and the stadium.  How the cameraman didn't wait one second is a mess.  He is in the victim role, rightfully so.  Both people, if they could do this over, can be better.  I say this because next time, a cameraman can be seriously hurt or worse.  It wouldn't matter whether a player gets kicked out of the league and goes to prison when said person 1/3 the players side is down and out.

As mentioned, one of the reasons Adams has a case is that he could've said that I thought it was yet another fan, since the league struggles to control people running on the field that shouldn't be there.  It might not work since he wasn't looking at the cameraman, who does belong on the field. 

It really depends on what the punishment is.  If it's in the category of misdemeanor and a small fine, there you go.  If both parties settle, then the legal stuff is done and people move on.  As for the NFL, they would have to be significant enough with their discipline to where Adams can negotiate down to something less (EX. $150,000 to $50,000 OR 4-game suspension to 2 games).

Like pretty much everything else, I'm neutral & see both sides.  This isn't uncommon (and people that've played the game said as much, though not to the level of what happened on Monday).  However, this cannot happen; if this had been a female, then that's nothing but bad news for the Vegas WR.

Davante has no history of any bad behavior as mentioned.  That could help.  BTW, if he does get suspended, I think it's one of those that gets held off until the following season (a la Lev Bell, Brady, Blount, AB).  Otherwise he might've been suspended already.  A fine could take place tomorrow.  Then again, since charges were filed, I don't expect anything to happen until the case ends in (or out of) court

• Love 1

The guy had his CAMERA EQUIPMENT WITH HIM.   He had a lanyward around his neck.   I HIGHLY doubt Adams thought it was a crazed fan on the field.   The time their paths crossed, was a split second.   Adams could have slowed his step (not stopped walking and stand around waiting) just to let the guy crossing clear his path.   Like we ALL do all the time.   Instead Adams CHOSE to raise his hands and shove the guy.   They didn't just bump into each other.    Adams spotted the guy, raised his hands and SHOVED HIM.   It was a very deliberate act.   That literally all Adams had to do was NOT SHOVE THE GUY.   

There is no both sides here.   Even Adams has already apologized and admitted he was wrong to act as he did.   

• Like 1
  • Love 8

What if it hadn't been a cameraman?  What if it had been a coach or another player?  For me the issue isn't who he pushed.  The issue is he pushed anyone. I understand his frustration but  that is not the way to deal with it. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

There is no both sides here.   Even Adams has already apologized and admitted he was wrong to act as he did.   

Then why hasn't he been disciplined or arrested?  BTW, I don't know if that was sincere.

7 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

What if it hadn't been a cameraman?  What if it had been a coach or another player?  For me the issue isn't who he pushed.  The issue is he pushed anyone. I understand his frustration but  that is not the way to deal with it. 

That's the thing.  He shouldn't have pushed him.  I'm not saying he should have.  Maybe a light shove or a simple "Get the F outta the way!" would've been much better.  If it's me, I'm not stopping, but simply walking around the guy.  The frustration is real, and players would know more than most which is why I'm not as appalled as most people, but not shoving anyone was the easiest thing at Arrowhead postgame.

What I am appalled by is the fact that the case between Bobby Wagner and that loser is still a thing.  That is night and day compared to the cameraman.  More important, it's not funny.  Talking about legal stuff, I think it may be time to start filing a report against idiots that run onto the field

• Love 1

Why is a player's need to exit a field more important than anyone else's safety.   because that is what this was -- guy doing his job does not expect to be SHOVED.   Not even lightly by a player.  Nor should he be because he dared to cross paths with a player.   A player is NOT more important than the camera guy.

As to why he has not been arrested.   Well, a police report was filed.   They may arrest or they may just issue a notice for him to appear in court.   It's a misdemeanor so the latter is more likely.    As for discipline, the league is reviewing the issue and will most likely issue some form a discipline (I am thinking a fine) because again, people WORKING on the sideline have a right to be safe from DELIBERATE acts from players.   

• Like 4
  • Love 5