Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Saints seem to have the Bucs number.

Well, that was painful to watch!  Besides shooting ourselves in the foot several times, the Bucs do seem to struggle against really good defenses.  They've got some work to do.  Our games against the Saints are always a grudge match.  Nothing new there.  Oh well, live to fight another day!

Trevor Conklin (83) was the first Viking I ever met. I was at a Vikings Women's Workout Wednesday and if you paid a small fee, you could get your picture taken with a Viking. So I was in line and saw Conklin and asked a cheerleader if that was Conklin. She said yes and that I was the only one who recognized him. (His rookie year) So I told him I recognized him from training camp. He asked if it was the tattoos. I said, no, it was the hair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Gee, thanks for nothing Vikings! What a bunch of losers. Made Cooper Rush the hero & he played very well tonight. Kirk Cousins & that Vikings defense can get bent.

And I have to see Jerry Jones celebrating the game-winning touchdown pass which is absolutely vomit-worthy. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Stop hating them and join the purple side. (Ha)

Sure.  That will happen as soon as you've cheered for Green Bay for ten years....and even then.

I'm going to need Dallas to lose soon. Because even though I like to see the Vikings lose, I just can't be happy about seeing the Cowboys win.

Torture, I tell you, torture. 

Big day for back up QBs.  It looks like Winston has quite a bad knee injury.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Jared Goff has now intentionally thrown a pass out of bounds on fourth down twice in the last three weeks.  In related news, the Detroit Lions are now 0-8.  If it wasn't bad enough that the opponent was doing things like nailing record breaking field goals, now their own QB is just giving up.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Jared Goff has now intentionally thrown a pass out of bounds on fourth down twice in the last three weeks.  In related news, the Detroit Lions are now 0-8.

I'm sure the Panthers think they can fix him.

Check It Out Tim And Eric GIF

• LOL 3

Soooo, I said the Lions would get their first win this week.  Missed it by that much.  Okay, really missed it.

But that wasn't as bad as picking the Bengals as my sure-win in the Survivor Challenge, because, how could they POSSIBLY lose to the Jets?

Not real upset by it though, since I'm a Ravens fan.  Now to pick the Browns or Steelers as my sure-fire-win so maybe they will lose.

That’s a blow to the Titans who are not as good just relying on Tannehill. To miss someone like Henry would be significant to any team because he’s so talented- I hope his surgery goes well and he can be back by the playoffs. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

On an unrelated note, what a bummer that Derrick Henry needs surgery.  He is SO fun to watch.

The Bama nation wishes Derrick a speedy recovery.  And yes, he is fun to watch!!   I'm really sorry to hear about his injury.   

Even as a Colts fan I'm sorry about Derrick Henry.  He's a force of nature.

(I was at the game on Sunday and except for a couple bonehead plays it was a great game to watch.  I never thought the Colts would keep it that close.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Because it took six hours to take down Halloween decorations yesterday, and those boxes were damn heavy, I shamefully fell asleep during the game.  I was disappointed at the result, but not shocked.

However, from what I DID see during the Manningcast before I fell asleep, it didn’t look like a very well played game on either side.  Don’t think we’ll see either of these teams in February.

• Love 2
Just now, mojoween said:

Because it took six hours to take down Halloween decorations yesterday, and those boxes were damn heavy, I shamefully fell asleep during the game.  I was disappointed at the result, but not shocked.

However, from what I DID see during the Manningcast before I fell asleep, it didn’t look like a very well played game on either side.  Don’t think we’ll see either of these teams in February.

I can put away my Halloween decorations in half an hour.  Now, when it comes to Christmas....

LOL.

Speaking of the Manningcasts...  I haven't seen all of the episodes or even an entire episode, and it pains me to say this, but from the guests I've seen, the two best were Gronk and Brady.

Does anyone else play Fantasy Survivor on NFL.COM?  I have two losses and they were when I picked the Titans and the Bengals, each to beat the Jets.  So, if the Jets want to win another game, they can pay me to pick an upcoming opponent as my winner.  They might have to pay big, because it will be my third strike and I'll be out of the game.

• LOL 1
51 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I will never understand how so many NFL players end up with DUIs. I will never understand the culture of thinking it's okay to drive drunk.

As one who's never had an alcoholic drink in her life but who comes from a long line of alcoholics, I would suggest that once you're inebriated, your judgment is already gone.  The things you'd never consider when you're sober become almost reasonable when you're drunk.

Add into that the mindset of the average young person who thinks they're never going to die, add onto that the average NFLer who thinks they're never going to be the one who gets a concussion or CTE or a spinal cord injury, who gets paid more in one week to play a game than most people make in a decade of work, who hears every minute of every day how superior they are to the ordinary physical specimen, and you begin to accept that Superman walks among us.  Until they drive drunk and kill somebody.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

As one who's never had an alcoholic drink in her life but who comes from a long line of alcoholics, I would suggest that once you're inebriated, your judgment is already gone.  The things you'd never consider when you're sober become almost reasonable when you're drunk.

Add into that the mindset of the average young person who thinks they're never going to die, add onto that the average NFLer who thinks they're never going to be the one who gets a concussion or CTE or a spinal cord injury, who gets paid more in one week to play a game than most people make in a decade of work, who hears every minute of every day how superior they are to the ordinary physical specimen, and you begin to accept that Superman walks among us.  Until they drive drunk and kill somebody.

If the NFL instigated a zero tolerance policy of 'one DUI and you're done' then I'm sure a lot of these guys wouldn't even get themselves into a position where driving drunk was an option. They'd use Uber or Lyft or private drivers to get them to the bars and strip clubs.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I will never understand how so many NFL players end up with DUIs. I will never understand the culture of thinking it's okay to drive drunk.

I feel so bad for the family of the person who was killed.  Having had 2 family members killed in separate accidents caused by drunk drivers years ago, I know the pain that the family will have to deal with (as with anybody else grieving a death), but knowing that it could've been prevented makes it that much worse.   No excuse for driving drunk; celebrity, athlete, or average Joe on the street.  I have no tolerance for drunk driving.  

14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Call. An. Uber. It's not that effing complicated. Especially when money is not an issue.

The NFL has a program where you can call for a ride -- at no cost to the  player.   So there really is  no excuse.

But, I want to say he "showed signs of impairment."   We don't know what that means yet.   Could be he was drunk, could be he had bloodshot eyes and was upset after the accident and the cops went with it.   Not making an excuse, he still most likely was at fault in an accident where a young woman was killed and his girlfriend seriously injured.  

My heart goes out to the young woman who is dead.

Also screw all the people who were going "but, but, but, now my fantasy team is all messed up."    They did the same thign when Calvin Ridley said he was stepping aside from football for his own mental health.   Like people give a damn about your FF team.   

the raiders are having quite the year aren't they?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

But, I want to say he "showed signs of impairment."   We don't know what that means yet.   

Correcting my original post.  I remember that the initial report was DUI.

Edited by ChitChat
4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Correcting my original post.  I remember that the initial report was DUI.

He was charged so you were correct.  But nothing was released to support that is all I was saying.  Yesterday at least.  Today his BAC came out twice the legal limit.  So yeah more rhan signs.  Also he was doing 127 when the airbags deployed.

• Useful 4

This Rodgers story is getting interesting.  Hard to tell what is real and what is speculation, but it seems like he is a lying liar who lies?  Who has also not been following unvaccinated protocol all season long?  Yeesh.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Holy crap apparently the rona is running rampant through the NFC North, and has taken Aaron Rodgers with it.

That is so heartbreaking.  Earlier on, it looked like Mahomes would miss due to his injury at Tennessee & that we'd miss out on something that was only possible due to 17 games.  Totally forgot about the possibility of him catching Covid.

OTOH, if he's not vaccinated, then I can't lose sleep over it.  Sucks we won't get to see Rodgers vs Mahomes ever, but IMO, it would've been an overrated game since Kansas City is not as dominant this year

ETA: Ruggs can go to hell.  Straight to hell.  Period

Edited by Carey
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He was charged so you were correct.  But nothing was released to support that is all I was saying.  Yesterday at least.  Today his BAC came out twice the legal limit.  So yeah more rhan signs.  Also he was doing 127 when the airbags deployed.

And 156 mph before the accident.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32543330/henry-ruggs-iii-drove-156-mph-seconds-fatal-car-crash-prosecutors-say

He should be in jail a long time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Carey said:

OTOH, if he's not vaccinated, then I can't lose sleep over it.  Sucks we won't get to see Rodgers vs Mahomes ever, but IMO, it would've been an overrated game since Kansas City is not as dominant this yea

He's not.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And 156 mph before the accident.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32543330/henry-ruggs-iii-drove-156-mph-seconds-fatal-car-crash-prosecutors-say

He should be in jail a long time. 

And, from what I read, the young woman who was killed was trapped in her car which caught fire. I pray to God that she was either already dead or unconscious.  Her poor family. Her dog was also killed in the crash.

Oh, and there was a loaded gun on the floor of Ruggs' car.

1 hour ago, Popples said:

Anyone who is secretly unvaccinated and doesn't have the guts to stand up and explain themselves deserves to be publicly excoriated.  Apparently, when asked by reporters, Rodgers said he was 'immunized' but didn't specify that he wasn't referring to the COVID vaccine.  Because he is a big, fat coward.  I hope the Packers don't have to pay him for the game(s) he'll miss. What a maroon!

To show just what an a**hole he is, Rodgers didn't wear a mask on the sidelines during games as is required of unvaccinated players because he is apparently above the rules and he was happy to perpetuate the lie that he was vaccinated.  There had better be a very massive fine and an example made of this sort of behavior.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17

I think Mike Florio is spot on (in the article linked above):

Why not just be openly unvaccinated?

Here’s why. Rodgers abhors criticism. If he’d been open about his unvaccinated status, he would have heard about it from the media. And so the guy who is so sensitive that he’s sensitive about being called sensitive chose to create the false impression that he’s vaccinated, all because he didn’t want anyone to call him out for not being vaccinated.

That makes it much worse. He deliberately violated COVID protocols in order to keep secret his status — in order to avoid being criticized. And he surely will now use his various platforms to argue that people like me shouldn’t have a platform to criticize him for not being vaccinated, and for endangering others in order to perpetrate his ruse. Which is exactly what he did.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14
12 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

And, from what I read, the young woman who was killed was trapped in her car which caught fire. I pray to God that she was either already dead or unconscious.  Her poor family. Her dog was also killed in the crash.

That's my hope, too - that, given the force of the impact at that speed, the victims (the woman and her dog) were killed instantly rather than suffering first, trapped in a burning vehicle.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

So did the Packers just take his word for it that he was vaccinated?  

Nope, I expect that they knew and allowed him to fake it with the press, etc rather than calling him out publicly.  The NFL doesn't announce a formal list of who has been vaccinated and who hasn't.  They chose not to comment on his lies. He's their big star, doncha know?  There's a certain amount of a** kissing expected.

20 minutes ago, scriggle said:

My heart goes out to the victim's family.

I'm surprised Ruggs and his passenger weren't killed/seriously injured given the speed at impact and the fact they were in a fucking corvette.

The passenger apparently has a serious arm injury and he could face additional charges for it.

Forget the fact that we're missing out on Rodgers vs. Mahomes again. Aaron could be in a ton of trouble with the league (as mentioned by Florio). He won't, but what's happened is grounds for discipline.  I guess we'll see.  There's the crime, and then there's the cover up.  Plus, his actions could've led to an outbreak, where the other team could get nailed through no fault of their own

• Love 4

What an idiot. Now he will have natural antibodies so be even more resistant to getting vaccinated. He’s an ass for not being more transparent and being maskless in the media room. I’m sure he will be dragged for this- serves his sensitive ass.

• Love 8

You know it might not be that he has nothing to do with his family.   It might be that his family has nothing to do with him.

His flat out lying about being vaccinated put so many other people at risk.   That is just some "fuck you I do what I want" energy right there.    

• Love 16