Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

In addition to how that's not going to work, IMO, that's a little messed up.  I could be wrong with that though, but I haven't heard any off-season news that Washington was planning on retiring on October 17.  Really, this is the first I've heard of it; usually whenever someone's number is retired, there's an announcement of some sort well in advance of the ceremony

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Again the leaked emails aren't from the nfl.  They are from a court case involving Dan Snyder.  

The emails are part of the evidence compiled in an "independent" investigation that was first started by the WFT and then taken over by the league. The league has control of the content.

The lawsuit by the cheerleaders against Daniel Snyder and the WFT was settled earlier this year. 

Sure sounds like the league made Mark Davis fire Gruden. Not his choice.

I don't know who the leaker was, but if they want to really blow up the league, I'd bet money there is evidence of how TPTB have circumvented efforts to make the league more diverse.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The emails are part of the evidence compiled in an "independent" investigation that was first started by the WFT and then taken over by the league. The league has control of the content.

The lawsuit by the cheerleaders against Daniel Snyder and the WFT was settled earlier this year. 

Sure sounds like the league made Mark Davis fire Gruden. Not his choice.

I don't know who the leaker was, but if they want to really blow up the league, I'd bet money there is evidence of how TPTB have circumvented efforts to make the league more diverse.

See link above. There is a separate lawsuit involving Snyder and a media firm that is a potential source for the leak. The NFL has the emails but truly may not have leaked them.  Conflicting reports but it's not been proven the NFL is the source of the link. 

• Love 1

I would love to think that Mark Davis took the time to find out that the locker room felt it was more important to support Carl Nassib and POC on the team rather than keep a mediocre coach.  I'm not a huge NFL person but I do find it ironic that the only team with an openly gay player had a coach who was willing to put his feelings in writing and thus, lead to his outster.  

I think that's possible, but IMO, it could be Mark Davis trying to reverse his decision to give an average coach a $100,000,000 contract (when he already had a rather decent coach in place and under contract).

In the 10th year of full-season TNF, the 8th on free TV, and 4th & final for FOX, the Thursday games actually have not been super bad this year.  Usually it's slated to be awful, and turns out to be awful.  Even Cincy/Jax was okay.  Seattle vs LA could've been a mess post-Russell, but it wasn't.

It's a complete toss with Tampa & Philly, but I'm picking the latter FTW.  Road game on a short week for a non 100% Brady.  I'm probably going to be wrong, but if the Bucs lose, the Top Seed is Dallas' to lose

19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Twitter slobbering all over Brady to AB for a TD is so super gross.

We've been Bucs fans since they came into the league, so we've seen a lot of losing seasons.  We get tired of the tongue bath of Brady by the media too, but after the years of frustration we've sat through, we let it go in one ear and out the other!!  We can deal with it because we finally have a team again!  I used to have sour grapes about Tom and the N.E. Patriots, but after listening to his interviews and reading up on him, he really seems like a decent guy.  YMMV, of course.  I don't think they're playing their best at the moment, but they've got a lot of injuries.  We'll see how it all plays out.  

As Bama fans we root for our guys who are on other NFL teams, but when the Bucs play them, we've got to go with the Bucs.  Sorry, Jalen!!  I think he's got a bright future in the NFL.  I didn't realize that Landon Dickerson wasn't playing Center for the Eagles, but he was on the O-line.   He was great at Center at Bama.  And Devonta Smith - he's a class act.  I wish them all much success.  I hope that Tua can get healed up and play soon.  He's certainly had some back luck as far as injuries go.  Sigh.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

We've been Bucs fans since they came into the league, so we've seen a lot of losing seasons.  We get tired of the tongue bath of Brady by the media too, but after the years of frustration we've sat through, we let it go in one ear and out the other!!  We can deal with it because we finally have a team again!  I used to have sour grapes about Tom and the N.E. Patriots, but after listening to his interviews and reading up on him, he really seems like a decent guy.  YMMV, of course.  I don't think they're playing their best at the moment, but they've got a lot of injuries.  We'll see how it all plays out.  

As Bama fans we root for our guys who are on other NFL teams, but when the Bucs play them, we've got to go with the Bucs.  Sorry, Jalen!!  I think he's got a bright future in the NFL.  I didn't realize that Landon Dickerson wasn't playing Center for the Eagles, but he was on the O-line.   He was great at Center at Bama.  And Devonta Smith - he's a class act.  I wish them all much success.  I hope that Tua can get healed up and play soon.  He's certainly had some back luck as far as injuries go.  Sigh.

MY PEOPLE! Another franchise-long, ride-or-die (long-suffering) Buccaneers fan here. I am over the media deification of TB12, much as I was over the media deification of Tim Tebow (Go Gators.) But I do love my Bucs, so I too ignore all that nonsense and focus on what happens on the field. 

And the garbage fire that has been both Gruden and Meyer makes me, as a UF grad and Buccaneers fan, disgusted, especially since their professional impact is personal for me.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, janeyjay said:

But I do love my Bucs, so I too ignore all that nonsense and focus on what happens on the field. 

It is pretty amazing though just how well Tom Brady is doing at his age (dinosaur in football years!!)  Maybe there is something to Giselle's lifestyle & the foods they eat!  Of course it helps to have a great O-line so that you don't get clobbered every other play.  I liked how Ryan Jensen came to Tom's aid when that Eagles player kept blocking him and wouldn't stop.  As we say in the South, they were about to throw down!  

We still think back to the days of John McKay.  He was quite the character!   Media:  "What do you think of the team's execution?  McKay:  "I'm all for it!"  Best line ever!  

Have you been to a Buc's home game?  We drove up to the stadium one summer just to see it, but we've never been to a game.  I'd love to see the pirate ship up close.  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Report: NFL finds no other current team, personnel implicated in Washington Football Team email investigation

Well, I for one am happy that they read all 650,000 emails and determined that the only racist, sexist, and homophobe in the NFL has been identified and removed! Phew!

Thank god they investigated themselves so thoroughly!

I'm sure they'll happily release all these emails now, so we can see how blameless everyone else is.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Thank god they investigated themselves so thoroughly!

I'm sure they'll happily release all these emails now, so we can see how blameless everyone else is.

Yep, if there is nothing there than why keep them secret?   Notice they said "no current" team personnel.   Which I find hard to believe.    Bruce Allen was probably corresponding with every other exec in the League.   SOME of whom just moved to new teams.   Or you know who might have then corresponded with their own subordinates who are still in the League in the same manner.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Report: NFL finds no other current team, personnel implicated in Washington Football Team email investigation

Well, I for one am happy that they read all 650,000 emails and determined that the only racist, sexist, and homophobe in the NFL has been identified and removed! Phew!

Isn't this kind of risky to put out since they're apparently not controlling the leaks?  If it really is from this other lawsuit, what are they going to do when something else is released?  (Unless they've caught the person leaking and paid them off?)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ChitChat said:

... , but after listening to his interviews and reading up on him, he [Tom Brady] really seems like a decent guy.  ...

I actually agree.  A lot of us consider him a big baby for crying for a flag on every play and, of course, we are jealous of his success and tired of the media slobbering all over him, tired of NE winning all the time...

BUT, when you just look at Brady, he seems like a decent guy.  He doesn't throw his team under the bus (Giselle did that once and you never heard her comment again; I wonder if Tom talked to her or she just had a frustrated moment and realized it herself), he is always complimentary of other teams and generally seems like a nice guy.  It might all be an act, but then you still have to give him credit for knowing how to play the media game.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Johann said:

A lot of us consider him a big baby for crying for a flag on every play and, of course, we are jealous of his success and tired of the media slobbering all over him, tired of NE winning all the time...

That was our reasons, exactly!!  Once he came to the Bucs though, I started reading & listening to his interviews, and learned that while in NE, he didn't demand as high a salary as he could've so that the Patriots could retain those great players around him.  He did the same thing with the Bucs, and now after winning a SB, some of the Bucs players did the same thing for this season.  I realized that he's a very smart man for doing it that way.  Keep good players around you to protect you and you might just be playing QB a lot longer than normal!  I still think he was a big baby in some moments in NE, but overall I think he's a good guy.  

I saw where TB commented about all of the hoopla about him and Belechick and their game a few weeks ago.  TB said that there was no need to pit them against each other.  It was ridiculous.  He said that he just wants to build people up, not put them down.  I respect that. I do wish that the broadcasters would tone it down though when it comes to the constant praise.  It's a bit distracting from the game!  

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Meh.  TB could walk little old ladies across the street from here to California while simultaneously saving puppies and I would still loathe him and the Bucs.  Fandom is what it is.

It's just nice for us Bucs fans to have a competent QB for a change!  I'm actually proud to say that Mr. Chat & I have never jumped off of the Bucs' bandwagon, as some others do if their team isn't doing well.  We're either very loyal people, or just plain crazy!  ;)    Plus, we have an awesome logo.    

• Love 2

As a Steelers fan, I think the most impressive thing Brady has done in the last couple of years (outside of that Super Bowl thing) is to get Antonio Brown back on Hall of Fame track.

In the span of two regular season games over two seasons, Brown managed to get cut from three teams. Brady recruits him to TB and he's not the same guy he was in Pittsburgh, but he's a contributor. And it appears he is no longer making the news for the wrong reasons.

Are we ever going to see Goodell give an interview again? Is the rest of his public career going to be shots of him in an owner's booth and dapping up guys at the draft? 

• Love 5

The only time we'll see Roger give another interview or talk in public will be during the Super Bowl events around that time.  OTOH, if somehow those emails (especially certain meaningful ones) get leaked or hacked or whatever, we'll probably see the 2014 of Roger as he struggles to answer questions in the aftermath.

Yeah, I think what TB has done with AB is amazing.  Total trust in a player that was actually on track to become the greatest WR in NFL history (or second best outside of Jerry Rice).  With Gronk out, looks like he's more than a contributor.  Might be the top target (or second outside of Evans).

Triple header day for CBS.  First for the NFL, I believe.  Though they're still calling it a double header after their opening game (which I think Miami wins to end the Urban Era).  Loving these 15-16 hours of Sunday football.  I think it's the last one of the year though!

Normally if I don’t have a horse in the race I’ll root for someone else’s fave, which in this case would be Miami because of the LeBatard show.  But man for some reason I’m really pulling for Jacksonville.

Part of it is because I’ve never really liked Miami and have never found anything objectionable about Jax, and also for some strange reason I’m fond of Trevor Lawrence.  It’s certainly not because of any goodwill towards Urban Meyer.

• Love 2

Yeah, I sorta would be happy with a Jacksonville win.  Miami might be the opposite of polarizing, but they don't move the needle for me.  Not that the Jaguars do either, but I think Lawrence can take this team into a positive direction, maybe beyond the 90s and 2017.  Meyer probably won't get fired here since it's not a blowout, but despite this year, I never actually hated the man.  Didn't really admire him, but respect him since he's a winner.

Meanwhile, Miami is sorta trying to blow it with meaningless back-to-back challenges (both unsuccessful).  Probably dumb second one even though the reward was great.  It's a 3-point lead.  Flores had to take the L there, play defense and go from there.

Week 6 picks: Vikings, Ravens, Rams, Colts, Washington, Bears, Lions, Browns, Cowboys, Broncos, Seahawks, Bills.

Pittsburgh should win, but the history is what it is.  Moreover, Pete Carroll is coaching tonight.  Buffalo's redemption/revenge continues after last week's crushing of Kansas City.  Baltimore is rolling, and Cleveland/Arizona is a toss.  This is the best shot of Dallas prevailing over New England (despite the venue)

Urban hung his head when that crazy kick went in like he had bet Miami with the under.

Also that kicker cannot be a day over 18 and I won’t believe you even if you show me his license.  Good for you, kid.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Urban hung his head when that crazy kick went in like he had bet Miami with the under.

He's not hanging his head in shame anymore because his kicker has just won the game for the Jaguars. Urban Meyer is finally going to sleep well tonight.

The only bad thing about the Jaguars winning is that it ended the 2nd longest losing streak in NFL History (20). Since 0-17 is pretty much impossible to get (sadly), I wanted them to get that NFL Record for the longest losing streak (26 games by the 76-77 Bucs). 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Magog said:

He's not hanging his head in shame anymore because his kicker has just won the game for the Jaguars. Urban Meyer is finally going to sleep well tonight.

The only bad thing about the Jaguars winning is that it ended the 2nd longest losing streak in NFL History (20). Since 0-17 is pretty much impossible to get (sadly), I wanted them to get that NFL Record for the longest losing streak (26 games by the 76-77 Bucs). 

For Urban Meyer's demise.  I now will not be surprised if Brian Flores is the one left behind in London.  Maybe not, but no shocker if there's a new HC for Miami.

I actually hope no one breaks the all time record from the Bucs.  Of course, the Tampa community moved into better territory with Multiple Superbowl titles, while Jacksonville & Cleveland have yet to appear in the big game.  Cleveland nearly did set a new mark in 16-17; had they done so, that would've been awesome!

The Rams are a better team.  I have no quibble there.

But fucking Christ the mistaaaaaaakes.  They’re vomiting all over themselves again for cod’s sack.  Can any of the guys celebrating SB 46 suit up and play today?  Fack.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Isn’t there something in the Geneva Convention that says having the Cowboys AND Tony Romo foisted on an unsuspecting public week after week is cruel and unusual punishment?

My sympathies. Our market (SF Bay Area) has Raiders/Broncos.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Isn’t there something in the Geneva Convention that says having the Cowboys AND Tony Romo foisted on an unsuspecting public week after week is cruel and unusual punishment?

I hate Tony Romo as an announcer more than I hated him as a Cowboy, which is saying something.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Lord help me, I am rooting for the Pats. 

I feel dirty. 

Swear to fuck I am more pissed about the outcome of this game than I am about the Giants getting obliterated.  FUCK the Cowboys.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

And add me on the FUCK DALLAS train. 

I'm always on that bandwagon. Always & forever. I would rather fall on a pool of cactus head first than root for the Cowboys to win a game.

A very happy Jerry Jones makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. He is very loathsome & very unrootable.

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I lost count of how many times Romo said that the Cowboys could go all the way this year. Dude, they barely beat a 2-3 team in overtime. Dial it back. 

I know that several people on ESPN & a certain dumbass on Undisputed are already thinking that & hoping that it would happen.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I lost count of how many times Romo said that the Cowboys could go all the way this year. Dude, they barely beat a 2-3 team in overtime. Dial it back. 

The best time was when he started talking about them as a Super Bowl team after the pick six and on the first play after the kickoff Jones lit them up for that seventy five yard go ahead touchdown.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm a Cowboys fan, I won't deny that. But I'm not a Jerry Jones fan and definitely not a Romo fan. I think former players who are now announcers should not be allowed to call games for their former teams. There's too much bias and Romo sucks.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm a Cowboys fan, I won't deny that. But I'm not a Jerry Jones fan and definitely not a Romo fan. I think former players who are now announcers should not be allowed to call games for their former teams. There's too much bias and Romo sucks.

Ditto. I can't stand Jerry Jones or his stupid son but I will keep loving the Cowboys. Romo is also stupid. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

You have to like Mac Jones coming back from the pick-six to throw a 75 yard TD pass. Bodes well for the future.

I never thought that I'd be pulling for the Patriots, but as a Bama fan, I'm going to root for our past QBs (not when they play the Bucs though!)  I was glad to see Tua back out on the field today.  Roll tide, Bama players!  

• Love 2

Sean McVay converted a fourth down up 31-3 and I didn’t hear a peep about it by NFL insiders, which is weird.  I can assure you there was quite a bit of peeping about it going on in my living room.

I see you, NFL.  Taunting was the scourge of the league for the first few weeks of the season.  Yet the Cowboys, BASED ON YOUR RULES, were blatantly taunting the last two weeks and received complete radio silence.  NFL’s twitter even put up, then deleted, a picture of Lamb waving like a jackass after the game-winning TD.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

NFL’s twitter even put up, then deleted, a picture of Lamb waving like a jackass after the game-winning TD.

the game was over.   Taunting is a dead ball foul which means it would have been enforced on the next play.   There was no next play.   Doesn't mean he won't be fined for it.   In fact, more likely he will to cover up the NFL's own jackassery with posting the picture.

I really hope tonight's game doesn't go to OT.   I'm getting a little tired of these thrilling finishes that go into the wee hours of the next day.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ohhhhhh bad Daniel Jones has shown up today.

Too be fair:

Before the season: "Daniel, we're going to get you some more help this year, more weapons,; you'll get Barkley back, and we're going with the same young combination of offensive linemen we had last year to give them the consistency a line needs."

Week Six: "Daniel, good luck today, you'll be handing off the backup running backs, behind the sixth different combination of backup offensive linemen and throwing passes to the practice squad receivers. I'm sure you'll do great."

The defense still sucks though.

This is why I love football despite the myriad issues; tonight wound up being a hell of a game between two teams I don't give a shit about.

I was rooting for the Titans just because a) I enjoy visiting Nashville (Buffalo was perfectly fine the one time I was there, but I used to travel to Nashville on business semi-regularly and really liked it) and b) I want no good things for Cole Beasley.  But I wasn't invested in it like when one of "my" teams is playing or I hate one team and will thus root for almost anyone against them.

So I didn't expect to get so caught up, but that was a good match.

• Love 3