Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 12/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, merylinkid said:

Not well I imagine.   This is the first time the Cowboys have been flexed out of a Sunday night game.   Even in years when ratings are down, the Cowboys consistently pulled high ratings.     this is the consquence of 1) sucking and 2) not playing compelling football while sucking.   

Hopefully, we will get more of that next season. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Magog said:
On 12/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, merylinkid said:

Not well I imagine.   This is the first time the Cowboys have been flexed out of a Sunday night game.   Even in years when ratings are down, the Cowboys consistently pulled high ratings.     this is the consquence of 1) sucking and 2) not playing compelling football while sucking.   

Hopefully, we will get more of that next season. 

Or the NFL opts not to schedule the Cowboys in primetime at all

• Love 2
21 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Doesn't everyone get at least one primetime game? 

I think that was the original plan with the Thursday night games, mostly so everyone would be more or less equally disadvantaged by having to play on Thursday.  Not sure if that's how it's working these days.

It's the Sunday game that's considered a casting coup.  MNF doesn't get to flex, and they have gotten some real dogs over the years.

21 hours ago, Carey said:

Or the NFL opts not to schedule the Cowboys in primetime at all

Ha.  America's Team.  Yes, it's probably still America's team, since as a country, we're about 3 - 9 right now anyway.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Doesn't everyone get at least one primetime game? 

Oh they do, as mentioned.  I meant to say SNF.  So Dallas will have a primetime game; not necessarily on Sunday Night ("spoiler alert: they will in 2021).  The Cowboys typically have their Thursday night primetime game a week after Thanksgiving against one of the four teams that played in the Lions window or the NBC primetime game

15 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I think that was the original plan with the Thursday night games, mostly so everyone would be more or less equally disadvantaged by having to play on Thursday.  Not sure if that's how it's working these days.

It's the Sunday game that's considered a casting coup.  MNF doesn't get to flex, and they have gotten some real dogs over the years.

There's nothing good about this year.  Even if one had a good year, you're not going to boast about that.  In other words, 2020 sucked.  That being said, there may be some good that comes out of this.  IOW, there will be some changes made due to the pandemic that will become permanent.  I can totally see the NFL flexing Sunday games to Monday Night with enough warning.  It'll be similar to what they did or do for Week 15 & 16 with their Saturday slate

Tampa Bay, Arizona, Kansas City, Tennessee, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Las Vegas, Washington, New Orleans, Atlanta, Green Bay, Cleveland look like winners in Week Fourteen

Edited by Carey
Week 14 Winners
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am displeased.

Me too.  Being in Los Angeles, and the Giants not having the national appeal they used to have, I don't get to see too many of their games each season.  I get this one, and I was not expecting such a lopsided game.

Well, I spoke too soon earlier. Our offense did fairly well except for the kicks - lost 10 points from missed kicks. I don't know what's going on with Dan Bailey, the kicker. He's been fine until the last game; now he's fallen apart.

Makes me glad I dropped Bailey as the kicker on my fantasy team and replaced him with Blankenship.

Vikings have to win the next three games to have any chance at a playoff spot. New Orleans is tough, but we beat them twice last year.

Edited by Lamb18

I joke earlier about Bailey being thrown overboard by the Vikings before they departed from the Bay.  I don't think they were beating Tampa anyway.  Bad kicking days happen.

Miami looks like that one team that can upset Kansas City in the postseason if they make it.  Next year they would be a problem for the Chiefs for sure, but I don't think they'll be able to pass Buffalo before seasons end

Man, for the most part, at least, Philadelphia said no thanks to winning.

On a related note (related only because it's football): The Falcons said no thanks to the postseason.  Coincidentally, both Houston & Atlanta, both of whom had winless starts and booted their HC's, were both eliminated from playoff contention today for losing

Apparently, the Saints were looking ahead to Kansas City as much as the Chiefs were looking ahead to New Orleans.  The problem is the Chiefs are better at it in terms of a positive result

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

How does Buffalo not know that they look like 1980’s New England in these hideous red unis?

Ha!  Before the game started I told my son we have to cheer for the Buffaloes in the blue pants. Then they show up in all red and he’s like well that’s easy let’s just call them the Chiefs 🤣🥰.  

But if the Vikings move on, they really need to take a look at themselves.  It'd be the fifth kicker in Zimmer's 7 seasons.  Bailey had success elsewhere.  And Carlson is having success with the Raiders. 

I known fans think kickers are a dime a dozen but they're not. 

• Love 1

The Cleveland kicker's missed two kicks tonight. He missed a field goal and an extra point. 

OK, Cleveland, get it together and get ahead!!

Regarding Wink Martindale, one of the radio announcers said, "I know why Wink Martindale is such a great defensive coordinator. He plays with 13 men on the field." (Baltimore keeps on having extra guys on the field.)

Edited by Lamb18
28 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I turned the channel and missed something. What happened to Lamar?

25 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Ran back to the locker room with cramps

And came right back to throw a touchdown pass on his first play back. Then he led them to a game winning drive field goal. Final score, Ravens 47 - Browns 42

This game was a lot of fun to watch. It just sucks that the Browns didn't tackle very well & their kicker really sucked that led them to lose the game.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

That was a crazy game from what I saw.  I feel for the Browns fans.  And I guess Ravens fans too.  There's nothing worse than watching a team just march down the field.

Was anyone else rooting for the flea flickers to work just for a really wacky finale?

• Love 1

I had to tune out everything Monday for various reasons, but that Monday Night Football game was pretty awesome.  Not something you'd say over the past decade or so, but something that was the case back in the day.

A wacky finish benefitting Cleveland would have been pretty insane (especially if you were listening to Westwood One's call of the game).  While it didn't happen, the alternate did.  Just ask those that took Ravens -4 (or Baltimore -3).  FTR, I didn't check the most recent and valid spread, but when that safety happened, that was the first thing that came to mind over the significance of the results of the actual game

When Cleveland scored at  6 minutes left, I told hubby that the Ravens were and he said to just watch because Tucker can kick from anywhere. Then lo and behold, he kicked the winning 55 yarder in the cold. Unreal, along with Lamar Jackson saving the day and their season. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

So apparently Lamar’s cramps are that he needed to poop, according to Twitter?  Because the puns from every sports person I follow are what is going to end me.

Yes because the MNF tv crew showed him running down the hall and into a room.    Might have been the locker room, who knows.    I looked at hubby and said "Cramps is tv talk for diarrhea."  He had that walk when you hope to get to the bathroom on time.   

Then he ran out onto the field and made the play when McSorley got hurt.    Because ... Lamar Jackson.   

When they said that Justin Tucker was so reliable I said "unless Joe Buck is making the call.   Then he jinxes him."   

Absolutely wild game.   Browns got nothing to be ashamed of.   They went toe to toe with the Ravens and damn near pulled it off.   1st year under Stepaniski.    Next year -- especially if they get an offseason -- they will hold their own in that division which is a tough one.  

• Love 1

I don’t know what bothered me more - Ravens having 15 men on the field or the Browns having to use a challenge to get the refs to call the penalty for 15 men on the field.  Makes me want to rewatch and count uniforms on the field for every other play because apparently the refs weren’t.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

So apparently Lamar’s cramps are that he needed to poop, according to Twitter?  Because the puns from every sports person I follow are what is going to end me.

Lamar says that wasn't the case.  He did have the poop walk from what I could tell but he also just had COVID so I will let him retain his dignity and believe him.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Yes because the MNF tv crew showed him running down the hall and into a room.    Might have been the locker room, who knows.    I looked at hubby and said "Cramps is tv talk for diarrhea."  He had that walk when you hope to get to the bathroom on time.   

When they showed him sprinting down the hall, I first thought "he's moving pretty well for someone with cramps" and then I realized what kind of cramps he probably had, lol. Poor guy, at least he made it to the locker room in time, you do not want that happening on the field. 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

When they showed him sprinting down the hall, I first thought "he's moving pretty well for someone with cramps" and then I realized what kind of cramps he probably had, lol. Poor guy, at least he made it to the locker room in time, you do not want that happening on the field. 

Yeah, and a lot of people (including former players) are firmly on the side of pooping.  It must have been really bad because he was out for a long time.  And of course this happened against the Browns.  The universe does have a sense of humor.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Even tho we lost, I’m pleased that we were able to hang with the big boys.  But we need secondary help in the off season.

We’re still one game up on the Cravens for a wild card spot, and if we can win out (esp the way the Squeelers are playing lately), we have great momentum going into the playoffs and the next season.

None of the Browns & coaches have anything to be ashamed of, except the kicker.

• Love 1