Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I

2 hours ago, emma675 said:
3 hours ago, Popples said:

WHY????

Read more  

Nooooo, this is not needed at all. I hope it doesn't interfere with watching the game normally. 

According to earlier reports, that's for the Nickelodeon broadcast and not the actual network.  Maybe it's subject to change; I don't mind the playoff expansion (in fact, over the past week or so I'm actually admiring it), but do it for more games.  I don't need to see unnecessary nonsense during one of the most important games of the entire NFL season.

On the other hand, that garbage would be reversed for the other AFC South playoff team not playing a noon game on ESPN

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Chad Johnson leaves a huge tip for coming late to a restaurant.

Chad may have been a bit of a goofball, but it's good to know that he's one of the ones who get it. I hated people who showed up to a place just as they were closing.

Maybe religious fundamentalists can learn something from this. They're notorious for leaving bible tracts as tips, even for large parties. I'll keep that bible verse in my back pocket to deploy the next time I hear of some cheapskate tipping.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I wanna know what he bought for dinner that was only $2.12 yet he kept them there 13 minutes after closing?

He.  Curiosity got the better of me.  At first I thought that was just tax but you're right, it was the total.

The only thing on the menu that fits that total is a drink.  I'm guessing it must be Materva since everything else is easily bought at a gas station.

Just finished watching the Chargers/Raiders game. The Chargers won in overtime, 30-27. Two takeaways from the game:

• The Chargers' kicker caught the Dan Bailey disease and missed two field goals. The Raiders' kicker missed one, but that was a 65-yard attempt.
  • Gruden caused quite a stir - almost a scandal - when he wore his OAKLAND Raiders hat to the game. It was swapped out later for a Las Vegas Raiders hat.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

My own takeaway is that Justin Herbert is a future superstar in the league. He is so fun to watch, never gives up, and is poised as hell. He would be in the playoffs this year if he had even a mediocre group around him and a decent coaching staff. He's finally starting to see some light and has gotten back to back wins basically through sheer force of his will.

Gruden's hat-gate was too funny.

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The Chargers' kicker caught the Dan Bailey disease and missed two field goals.

This is not new. He's been doing that all season. Why he's still there I do not know.  

On 12/14/2020 at 8:05 PM, mojoween said:

How old do you have to be, I wonder, for the name Wink Martindale to mean nothing to you other than football?

It makes me giggle every time I hear it.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:35 PM, doodlebug said:

I'm old enough to wonder if he was Wink Jr or something.

I wondered that too.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, vb68 said:
7 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The Chargers' kicker caught the Dan Bailey disease and missed two field goals.

This is not new. He's been doing that all season. Why he's still there I do not know.  

Because replacing a kicker is harder than it looks.   Some teams are on their third or fourth kicker THIS YEAR.   So you might have a guy who misses a couple, every game but makes the rest.   You stick with him because the next guy might miss even more.   WHY teams don't spend more time on developing a kicker I don't know.    So many games come down to a last minute field goal you want a reliable guy.   but nope, teams treat the kicker as an afterthought -- then complain when he is not 100% accurate all the time.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Because replacing a kicker is harder than it looks.   Some teams are on their third or fourth kicker THIS YEAR.   So you might have a guy who misses a couple, every game but makes the rest. 

But still when a team is losing more than a couple of games-  arguably as many as 4 or 5 games-  because of a kicker, it would stand to reason replacing that kicker might be something of a priority. 

Edited by vb68

Have the Chargers always had cursed special teams? Off the top if my head, I can think of the two special teams scores given up against the Patriots this season, Nate Kaeding playoff misses, the time a punt returner ran 15 yards backwards to give up a safety, and a year The Chargers had a #1 offense and defense but missed the playoffs due to special teams. Did they ever have good special teams?

My husband doesn’t purposefully watch football but he lives here so has no choice, and during the first half Stink was talking about Buffalo and saying “Josh Allen Josh Allen Josh Allen” and hubs was like is he obsessed with him or something?

After halftime I noticed that Stink says Josh Allen and Drew Lock almost every time and now I can’t not hear it.  Do the announcers do that with every quarterback?

On 12/15/2020 at 6:30 AM, merylinkid said:

Yes because the MNF tv crew showed him running down the hall and into a room.    Might have been the locker room, who knows.    I looked at hubby and said "Cramps is tv talk for diarrhea."  He had that walk when you hope to get to the bathroom on time.   

Then he ran out onto the field and made the play when McSorley got hurt.    Because ... Lamar Jackson.   

When they said that Justin Tucker was so reliable I said "unless Joe Buck is making the call.   Then he jinxes him."   

Absolutely wild game.   Browns got nothing to be ashamed of.   They went toe to toe with the Ravens and damn near pulled it off.   1st year under Stepaniski.    Next year -- especially if they get an offseason -- they will hold their own in that division which is a tough one.  

As well, "flu-like symptoms" means the player is hungover.  Or at least it did pre-pandemic.    

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

My husband doesn’t purposefully watch football but he lives here so has no choice, and during the first half Stink was talking about Buffalo and saying “Josh Allen Josh Allen Josh Allen” and hubs was like is he obsessed with him or something?

After halftime I noticed that Stink says Josh Allen and Drew Lock almost every time and now I can’t not hear it.  Do the announcers do that with every quarterback?

well at least both were mentioned. It was like that yesterday, though being from Buffalo, there are times (mainly in past years) where they seemed to forget we were on the field at all. I don't particular like the national coverage of any sport as this happens, or worse they start talking about someone's grandfather (generally this applies to Hockey). I rather them focus on the game and the actual play.

8 hours ago, twoods said:

First AFC East title in 25 years! Thanks Tom Brady. 

Finally he's gone. I was a little kid the last time this happened and Josh Allen I believe wasn't even born yet.

When the vote comes up the owners are highly likely to vote for the 17 game season and if so, it will start in 2021.

A 17 game season is SO STUPID.  As is 7 teams per conference in the playoffs, but that ship has sailed.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When the vote comes up the owners are highly likely to vote for the 17 game season and if so, it will start in 2021.

A 17 game season is SO STUPID.  As is 7 teams per conference in the playoffs, but that ship has sailed.

It's already been voted on.  It's happening.  Very possible in 2021, but that is not set in stone yet.  The league could wait until 2023, the first year of the new TV deal.  I agree; 17 games is dumb as all hell (unless the 17th game is out of conference).  7 team playoff?  Meh

4 hours ago, blueray said:

Finally he's gone. I was a little kid the last time this happened and Josh Allen I believe wasn't even born yet.

That is correct.  He wasn't born yet.  For the record, the Bills were rather close to dethroning the Patriots last year with Brady still on the team (and starting, unlike in 2008).  During that run, the Jets of all teams in the AFC East might've been the team that had the bragging rights over Buffalo and Miami.  They actually knocked off New England when it counted the most

San Francisco, Seattle, Minnesota, Miami, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Kansas City, and Cleveland win in Week 15, I think

Whyyyyyy is it that I'm forced to listen to Tony Romo at least once a weekend? Why can't he ever be assigned to games I don't want to watch? I just loathe him as a broadcaster. He never stops talking, he makes the stupidest jokes and drags them out to death, and he just generally says weird stuff that I never hear another commentator say (not even Joe Buck and that's saying something). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Because it bears repeating...

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fuck Dallas.

Always & forever. The fact that they're still alive for the Playoffs makes me sick to my stomach.

Can we also say the same thing to the sorry ass Rams? They just fell flat on their face losing to the Jets (23-20). 0-16 is over. As if I need another reason to hate Jared Goff, mush for brains Sean McVay, & the sorry Rams. I will never root or count on them for anything ever again.

I am absolutely infuriated right now. My NFL week (and possibly season) is absolutely ruined. My Christmas is already ruined (for different reasons) & the Rams just put an icing on that cake. Thanks for nothing again, Rams.

Edited by Magog
22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Poor trevor lawrence.   

Suddenly going to the jets doesn't look so bad.  

At least he'd be in new york rather than jax.  

I think he dodged a bullet, tbh. The Jets could ruin any sure thing.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also Jacksonville means no income tax.  I’m assuming that the Jets players pay New Jersey taxes regardless of the letters on their helmet.

Well for half the games yes.  

Road games they pay taxes of states the games are in

Though indiana, texas, Tenn. In division I'm sure are lower than florida, mass and new york 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You really think jax is that much of a step up as a franchise,?  

Lesser of two crappy evild

Yes. I believe the Jets' overarching problem is the owner, and he remains in place. They will shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. Draft a great left tackle? Great! Let's make him play hurt and aggravate his injuries in the middle of a lost season where you want to lose.

Whereas if Jax lucked into a winning combination, they might not totally fuck it up. Or I might just not know enough about their brand of bullshit. They did have a zillion draft picks who left their team and were happy to go.

In any case, I don't think they are worse than the Jets. They might approach "as bad" as the Jets, but I don't think they're worse.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Yes. I believe the Jets' overarching problem is the owner, and he remains in place. They will shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. Draft a great left tackle? Great! Let's make him play hurt and aggravate his injuries in the middle of a lost season where you want to lose.

Whereas if Jax lucked into a winning combination, they might not totally fuck it up. Or I might just not know enough about their brand of bullshit. They did have a zillion draft picks who left their team and were happy to go.

In any case, I don't think they are worse than the Jets. They might approach "as bad" as the Jets, but I don't think they're worse.

Well since jax managed to make an afc title game 3 years ago they have since traded their two best players from that team and managed to finish 4th in the division 3 years on a row.  

And the jets actually have a lot more total wins over the past decade than the jags 58 to 44.  That's still only 6 vs 4-5 wins a year on average but it's significantly better

5 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Well, the Giants in their first possession of the game, decided that instead of kicking a field goal, the punter should throw the ball to the center in the end zone. That didn't work.

To a WR who was triple covered no less

• Love 1

I'm kinda glad the Vikes playoff hopes are dashed at this point. They choke way too often at playoff time so it's better to suck now. Plus, their record, their uneven playing all year, they haven't earned it. Now, Packers and Chiefs, there's so decent football to watch...and I still loathe any time that hires Tom Brady...

Anyone see the end of the TB Atl game?  

Most likely it would have made no difference but still.....TB runner CLEARLY a half yard short on the run and given a spot closer for the first down.  Then they measure and he clearly, though it's close, appears to be short even WITH the questionable spot, but they say it's a first down anyway.  They showed them measuring for it on tv and it was close but short. Even reviewed it, not overturned

I mean, WTF?   

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Now, Packers and Chiefs, there's so decent football to watch...and I still loathe any time that hires Tom Brady...

Actually I was feeling that the Chiefs/Saints game today was a preview of the Super Bowl.

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

So, why do you think it's stupid?  Because it's different?  I haven't decided how I feel about it, so maybe you can convince me.  I am interested in where they are getting that extra game from.  I'm thinking besides the entire division in the other conference that your division plays on a rotating basis, your division plays a different division in the other conference, each team only playing the team that placed as they did...much like you do with the two divisions in your own conference that your not playing each team in.  Kind of hard for me to explain, so let me know if I'm not making sense.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Johann said:

I am interested in where they are getting that extra game from. 

This article seems to think the game will come from out-of-conference and it could be a foreign game/neutral site game.  The vote will come soon and likely pass.  The season would just start a week earlier with one less pre-season game since this season seemed to do okay without a preseason.

I would have liked to see an addition bye week added into the season.

17 games is dumb but inevitable.  

It will be inter conference and much the same as now based on division rotation and finish

Also will be netraul site or the will rotate nfc all home games one year afc the next.  That way no team in conference will play an extra home game 

They should add a bye week too I agree. Though this means the superbowl will now be mid Feb at earliest.