Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Goddammit.  That was a terrific game, it just didn't end the way I wanted it to.

I am all about player safety, and erring on the side of it, but that was one seriously bullshit roughing the passer call on Matthews late in the game; that was pure shoulder-to-shoulder, and it being called casts a pall on my utter enjoyment of this close, back-and-forth game.   Not because of any direct impact on the outcome, just that it was pure crap officiating in a match that was otherwise about what the teams did and did not do in a division rivalry game.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Speaking as a neutral observer, I have no idea how Clay Matthews has become a magnet for questionable roughing the passer calls these past few years. There'd seem to be a bevy of better candidates for that. And yet I can recall three or four go against him with GB and now the Rams.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Speaking as a neutral observer, I have no idea how Clay Matthews has become a magnet for questionable roughing the passer calls these past few years. There'd seem to be a bevy of better candidates for that. And yet I can recall three or four go against him with GB and now the Rams.

I noticed that too.   Matthews hardly has a rep as a "dirty" player, yet he gets some bullshit calls.   Even Troy and Joe (shut up Joe) were saying it was not a good call.   

Damn, it missed.   Soooo close.   The Rams came back from a bad loss on Sunday on a short week and really played the Seahawks tough.   Then lost by one lousy point.  

Also it cannot be said enough, the Seattle color rush uniforms are ugly as hell.   I should not have to watch a night game with sunglasses on.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Even Troy and Joe (shut up Joe) were saying it was not a good call.   

Troy is a twit, but I pay attention when quarterbacks question a roughing the passer call.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Also it cannot be said enough, the Seattle color rush uniforms are ugly as hell. 

Just be grateful they don't still make both teams wear the color rush on Thursday night.

7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Troy is a twit, but I pay attention when quarterbacks question a roughing the passer call.

I was thinking the same thing last night.  If Aikman thought it was a bad call then you know it was.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I like the Seattle highlighter unis. Between them and Oregon I really wonder what is going on in the Pacific Northwest.

I don’t.  Too much.  Maybe make the unis that color bright green, but the shoes/helmet a darker color, or muted color.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:14 AM, merylinkid said:

Also it cannot be said enough, the Seattle color rush uniforms are ugly as hell.   I should not have to watch a night game with sunglasses on.

I couldn't even watch much of the game.  I swear, those uniforms gave me a headache.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Whose bright idea was this to have ten early games and two late games????

They always do this in October when there are MLB playoff games.

Roethlisberger got fined $5K for having an Apple watch on while on the sidelines.  Apparently you can't have anything on the sidelines capable of messaging.   His defense:  "My wife dressed me because of my injury and i didn't even know I had it on."  Did the injury to his right elbow cause him to lose feeling in his left forearm?   And can you imagine the speculation and "once a cheater, always a cheater" type of tweets and posts if this had been a Patriot?

FOX, was it really necessary to show us Hakeem Nicks' elbow dislocation?  At least they gave a warning so I was able to turn my head.  They reported his audible moaning while in the medical tent, they took him to the locker room while keeping his arm immobile, but hey, thanks for letting us know his return is questionable.  I'm not sure we could have figured that out.  

• Love 5

His defense:  "My wife dressed me because of my injury and i didn't even know I had it on."  Did the injury to his right elbow cause him to lose feeling in his left forearm?

or his eyesight?  I mean I assume he can see it.  Idiot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Jabrill Peppers took off his helmet and hellllloooooo fine sir!

And then he immediately put it back on because Pat Shurmur called the DUMBEST play from the one yard line.  Idiot.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Vikings are ahead so far. It's halftime now. It seems like we do better when Vikings have first possession of the ball.

In the meantime, Raiders are pummeling Chicago (hurray!). I normally don't cheer for the Cowboys but I hope they take care of Green Bay later on today.  Detroit has the bye. Interesting if we end the day with a 3-way tie for first at 3-2 between Vikings, Bears and Packers. Or would Detroit still be in first place at 2-1-1?

I  can’t even think what would have to be happening for me to root for the Cowboys.

What I don’t understand about the NFL scheduling is why send teams to London if the entire country can’t watch it?  What happened to nine a.m. games?  And yes I get that would mean Oakland would have to get up at six blah de blah blah.

• Love 2

I'm still stuck on the question "why go to London?" 

After this season, I believe the Packers will be the only team not to play an international game.  Regular season game, that is; the 80-yard field game in Winnipeg this preseason doesn't count.  The league has been reluctant to require the Pack to give up a home game, because of the economic hit it would mean for Green Bay.  It's not like Charlotte or Nashville, who would say whatever, let's just book a another national convention.  And no one wants to give up one of their home games against the Packers since Pack fans buy a lot of tickets.  But the current management in Green Bay seems in favor of a London game, and I think the league would like to feature them while Rodgers is still playing, so perhaps it will happen in 2020.  It could even be a Packers home game, since the Wisconsin Badgers play at Lambeau next October, so all the hotels/restaurants etc. would still have 10 football weekends.  

I just listened to the end of the Chicago/Raiders game. One of the Raiders announcers says, "It's the silence of the Bears!" Now for Cowboys to do their job.

Has there been a NFL game in Iceland? I was thinking it would be a good location for the Vikings to play because Vikings - Iceland plus it's an easy international flight w/reasonable round trip fares. It's 5-6 hours from Minneapolis. Maybe play the Packers and have a Scandinavian international game since there is a strong Norwegian population in Wisconsin as well as Minnesota.

And thank you, Raiders!

Interesting game between the Raiders and the Bears.  I wouldn't have woken up earlier, but had I known I could actually see it (last I'd looked yesterday, I still didn't have FOX thanks to the dispute with Dish), I'd have got out of bed earlier to see more of it.  (There was no morning game on CBS in my market, so I thought there was no morning game for me at all, and lounged around in bed watching the rest of the DVD I fell asleep to last night, not realizing until noon I actually had a game available to watch.)

I thought the Raiders were in for a second half implosion, but they pulled it out.  Two wins in a row, wow.

Not so much for the Giants, of course.  I'm not exactly eager to watch "highlights" of that game.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I  can’t even think what would have to be happening for me to root for the Cowboys.

My cat's life would have to somehow depend upon their victory.  And since that will never happen, I can happily live out my days rooting for them to lose.

Thus:  Go Pack Go! 

• Love 6

I hope that Mason Rudolph ends up being okay. That was a very scary looking hit that he took.

I thought that the Panthers/Jaguars was an interesting and entertaining game. Christian McCaffrey was excellent today and helped guide the Panthers to the win. The Jags defense really struggled with containing him and the run. (They also hurt themselves with the penalties they kept incurring. If they even stopped a few of those runs, they could have won that game. But he played extremely well and led the Panthers to the win.

Even though he had some turnovers, I continue to be impressed by Gardner Minshew. I thought he remained composed and did a nice job throughout most of the game of keeping the Jags in the game. DJ Clark also continues to be very impressive. He's made some awesome catches this year. He has really grown since last year and is emerging as a great weapon for the Jags. 

That was also a good win for the Raiders against the Bears. The Bears tried to make a comeback but the Raiders ended up pulling it out, even though a lot of people and most analysts picked against them. The Raiders have been performing better than I thought they would this season.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Traumatic brain injury?

I have (and I imagine most people have) a relative hierarchy of whom to root for when your team is not playing, and in every scenario, every damn time, Dall-ass comes in last.  Even behind da Igglz and and the Cheatahs.

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

The league has been reluctant to require the Pack to give up a home game, because of the economic hit it would mean for Green Bay.

So why can't they be the road team?

What I don’t understand about the NFL scheduling is why send teams to London if the entire country can’t watch it?

I think the novelty wore off after the first year or two.  And today, there were nine other games on at the same time.  So even if you have Sunday Ticket, your attention is going to be diverted.

Knowing that their team is absconding to Sin City, are Oakland fans really still as rabid as they've always been?

2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Traumatic brain injury?

I have (and I imagine most people have) a relative hierarchy of whom to root for when your team is not playing, and in every scenario, every damn time, Dall-ass comes in last.  Even behind da Igglz and and the Cheatahs.

So why can't they be the road team?

I think the novelty wore off after the first year or two.  And today, there were nine other games on at the same time.  So even if you have Sunday Ticket, your attention is going to be diverted.

Knowing that their team is absconding to Sin City, are Oakland fans really still as rabid as they've always been?

Some teams are reluctant to give up a home game of their own against the Packers since the Packer fans show up.  Teams like Jacksonville - hosting the Packers would be their biggest selling game of the year.  Back when the Buccaneers were in the same division as the Packers, there would be 20,000 - 25,000 Packer fans in the stands for the game in Tampa.  Of course, when the Bucs got better, they stopped selling tickets to buyers with Wisconsin zip codes and area codes.  After all we did for them 🙂  no gratitude at all from the Bucs!

4 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Teams like Jacksonville - hosting the Packers would be their biggest selling game of the year.  Back when the Buccaneers were in the same division as the Packers, there would be 20,000 - 25,000 Packer fans in the stands for the game in Tampa.

Isn't the NFL mostly on a revenue-sharing model?   Without it, the tiny markets like Jacksonville would never be able to compete with revenue monsters like Dall-ass. 

Were the Bucs happy with practically playing a road game at home?  

4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Isn't the NFL mostly on a revenue-sharing model?   Without it, the tiny markets like Jacksonville would never be able to compete with revenue monsters like Dall-ass. 

Were the Bucs happy with practically playing a road game at home?  

Yes, but they do think of the impact on a community, especially one like Green Bay, which supports the Pack in a unique way.  It's not just the revenue to the team, but the hotels, restaurants, etc. that profit from a home game.  

The Bucs were just happy to have butts in the seats.  The beer vendors were almost certainly ecstatic.  

5 minutes ago, Calvada said:

It's not just the revenue to the team, but the hotels, restaurants, etc. that profit from a home game.  

To a different point, isn't that the excuse the owners give when they extort taxpayers into buying them billion dollar stadiums that almost none of them can afford to attend?

42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am pretty sure that I can sneeze farther than Gardner Minshew can throw the ball.

I was watching the last drive of the Jacksonville/Carolina game, and he just couldn't put much on the ball at all.   

Though he didn't get a TD at the end, he made multiple good and deep throws in the game today. He has shown he can throw a nice deep ball and has made a lot of good (and accurate) throws in general. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1

It felt the Packers/Cowboys game went by fast. Great win by the Packers. Aaron Jones was fantastic for them today and their defense also played well. And overall a pretty rough game for the Cowboys. Green Bay has often gotten the better of them (though they've had competitive match ups),

But in today's game in particular it felt like the wheels were coming off the wagon for them. They had a lot of issues/jitters throughout most of the game and couldn't fully get things together. (Even though they tried to make a comeback in the fourth quarter.)

They should bounce back next week against the struggling Jets, but this loss today against the Packers definitely could be cause for concern. (And an indicator of the challenges they could face again should these two meet in the playoffs again).

Edited by Jx223
13 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

It felt the Packers/Cowboys game went by fast. Great win by the Packers. Aaron Jones was fantastic for them today and their defense also played well. And overall a pretty rough game for the Cowboys. Green Bay has often gotten the better of them (though they've had competitive match ups),

But in today's game in particular it felt like the wheels were coming off the wagon for them. They had a lot of issues/jitters throughout most of the game and couldn't fully get things together. (Even though they tried to make a comeback in the fourth quarter.)

They should bounce back next week against the struggling Jets, but this loss today against the Packers definitely could be cause for concern. (And an indicator of the challenges they could face again should these two meet in the playoffs again).

Fast???  For this Packers fan that 4th quarter felt like there was about 45 minutes on the game clock.  

Way too many injuries for the Packers.  I was very nervous with Linsley out, especially on the shotgun snaps. And I hope Savage's injury isn't as bad as it looked.  Aaron Rodgers always seems to enjoy playing in Dallas and now I think Aaron Jones feels the same.  He's a Texas guy so I bet he had tons of family and friends in the stands.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I hope that Mason Rudolph ends up being okay. That was a very scary looking hit that he took.

I thought that the Panthers/Jaguars was an interesting and entertaining game. Christian McCaffrey was excellent today and helped guide the Panthers to the win. The Jags defense really struggled with containing him and the run. (They also hurt themselves with the penalties they kept incurring. If they even stopped a few of those runs, they could have won that game. But he played extremely well and led the Panthers to the win.

Even though he had some turnovers, I continue to be impressed by Gardner Minshew. I thought he remained composed and did a nice job throughout most of the game of keeping the Jags in the game. DJ Clark also continues to be very impressive. He's made some awesome catches this year. He has really grown since last year and is emerging as a great weapon for the Jags. 

That was also a good win for the Raiders against the Bears. The Bears tried to make a comeback but the Raiders ended up pulling it out, even though a lot of people and most analysts picked against them. The Raiders have been performing better than I thought they would this season.

That hit on Mason Rudolph was very scary.  I Immediately thought of Ryan Shazier and it was eerie seeing him on the sideline    So glad Mason is going to be ok   I admit I got teary eyed when he was able to walk off the field with assistance   

Since my team sucks so bad this year I joined the Chiefs bandwagon but I’m surprised how poorly they are playing tonight, especially Mahomes and Kelsey.  I’m impressed with the Colts, especially their defense and don’t miss Luck at all.  

• Love 1

That hit on Mason Rudolph was very scary.  I Immediately thought of Ryan Shazier and it was eerie seeing him on the sideline    So glad Mason is going to be ok   I admit I got teary eyed when he was able to walk off the field with assistance   

It was scary to see close-ups of his face after the hit, though. The lights were on but absolutely nobody was home.

• Love 1

I didn't care for Jay as a Head Coach. I didn't like his attitude in general. Including his attitude and treatment of some of his players including his QB's. (RGIII and Dwayne Haskins). I didn't like his attitude and treatment of RGIII and the way he handled that QB situation with him and Kirk Cousins. He didn't seem supportive of Dwayne Haskins either (Even though Dan wanted to draft him). I read there were reports he didn't want Dwayne and I felt that is the way he was acting regarding him.

A coach that doesn't believe in players, especially ones that play at the most important position, is not good for any team. He got more seasons than a lot of coaches get to coach this team and in the past few years they haven't been doing well.  Granted, I understand this team was dealing with things like being plagued by injuries,but I don't blame the organization from moving on from him.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

The Cowboys came back from a 31-3 deficit.   They got the jitters under control.   But you can't beat the Packers AND the refs.  They also need to fire their kicker.   I said when they did it that getting rid of Dan Bailey for the younger guy was a mistake.  I know it was a costly penalty but DAMN it was nice seeing Jason Garret get MAD about something.   The way he threw that challenge flag right in the ref's face was a thing of beauty.  We still gotta play the Patriots this season.    Oh dear.   

I am so glad that Mason Rudolph is already home from the hospital.   You saw he was out before his head even hit the ground a second time.   Earl Thomas needs to watch the hits.   This is the second time this season he has mashed a QB too hard.   

I wish the Bears/Raiders game was on at 9:30 a.m. too.   Next week's London game will be.   So 14 HOURS OF FOOTBALL.   

KC better come up with an answer for its offense other than Mahomes flinging it.   You could see they were lost when he was hurt.   Either come up with another game plan or get a better O line.

Hear the Panthers referred to as Christian McCaffrey's team yesterday.    Like "Cam WHO???"   When he comes back from his injury he might find out that he is expendable.   Especially if Kyle Allen keeps doing well.   Tis truly the year of back ups.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 1

Dallas lost, KC lost, and Jay Gruden finally got fired.  All in all, a great football day for me.

Now all we need is for some grown ass man or woman to buy the team from Little Danny Snyder and I'll be doing cartwheels.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Patriots go up against the Giants this Thursday night.   Does anyone really want to see that game?

Giants fan here.

Answer: Nope. 

Although if Saquon is back, I'll stick around long enough to watch him for a bit. 

• Love 2

Wow, Washington called Gruden on Sunday night to tell him to come to the team facility at five freakin' am on Monday. When he showed up, he was fired.

He had to know what was coming. When he received the phone call, he should have just told them to fire me now so I can start drinking and sleep in on Monday.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7

"Five AM? Am I getting fired?"

"No, we just want to talk."

"Cause if you want to fire me, let's just get it over with. I don't want to have to get up at four in the morning to get fired"

"I promise you, we are not firing you."

CUT TO: FIVE AM THE NEXT DAY

"You're fired."

@(#*$^!(*^!

• LOL 14

I had thought that the Browns would have a better performance tonight, but that was a very rough game for them. The 49ers played very well overall, especially their defense. They did a great job of getting to Baker and irriatating him and the offense. (As well as generating a lot of turnovers.)

Really bad loss for the Browns with a tough stretch of games coming up including match ups against the Patriots, Seahawks and Bills who have been doing a nice job this season. I hope they can bounce back and get some wins, in spite of this tough part of their schedule. 

• Love 2