Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

He’s MY bad quarterback, dammit.  He helped beat the Patriots not once but TWICE.  That’s why he’s a legend, man.

I'm not a Giants fan, but I'll always agree with this. WTH are they doing?

• Love 3

I thought Eli's streak was going to end this season because it looked like his O line was going to get him killed. Never thought he would be benched. 

What are the odds Geno pulls a "Nathan Peterman"?

I feel badly for Geno because as a human I’m sure he’s a nice guy but we’ve all seen him play QB.  I’m pretty sure the Jets benched him for performance too.

His first pass has to be a TD pass or the jackals will be out in force.  Good thing the game is in Oakland.

Also his name was being spelled as “Gino” all over Twitter which also makes me feel for the guy.  None of this is his fault.

• Love 5

Weirdly Geno was playing ok-ish at the very end of his Jets starting tenure before a teammate broke his jaw at the beginning of 2015 and having Ryan Fitzpatrick swoop in and take the job. The last four games of 2014 he had an acceptable 6-2 TD/INT ratio, with every game over 83.9 rating and 3 of 4 with over 60% completions and 7.0 yards/attempt.  Acceptable QB play. I expect mediocrity and not utter catastrophe, though you never know.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Aren’t the 49rs also starting Garrapolo?

I suppose the next waiting game is to see how far KC will stumble before they seriously consider benching Alex Smith.

Yeah, they are going to start to him and he will be replacing Rookie Cj Beathard who is dealing with an injury. I am interested in seeing how he fares. I think he could end up doing well.  He looked good in the very short time he played last week. They could win at least 2 or 3 of their last 5 games if he plays well enough. I also wonder how him playing will affect where they end up drafting. I think they could still end up drafting top 3.

5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Weirdly Geno was playing ok-ish at the very end of his Jets starting tenure before a teammate broke his jaw at the beginning of 2015 and having Ryan Fitzpatrick swoop in and take the job. The last four games of 2014 he had an acceptable 6-2 TD/INT ratio, with every game over 83.9 rating and 3 of 4 with over 60% completions and 7.0 yards/attempt.  Acceptable QB play. I expect mediocrity and not utter catastrophe, though you never know.

I think that Geno may end up being okay as well. He may have some decent games. I don't think he will end up being as bad as Nathan Peterman who definitely looked like he had never played at the professional level before.

I think this may be the start of the Giants moving on from Eli. It looks like ownership approved this change. There were also rumors from earlier in this season that mentioned that Eli might be traded to the Jags. The Giants could finish in the top 3 and could take one of the college QB's that will be available out there. (Rosen, Darnold, etc..) Eli has a nice personality, a good work ethic and is durable, so he could definitely end up on some other team. Maybe he will go to some team like the Jags/Broncos that won't draft as high, has good players but need a better QB.

Edited by Jx223
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

At this point, if the stupid Giants let Eli go I want him to win the SB in Denver.

I think I'd rather him go to Jacksonville, reunited with Tom Coughlin, and win the SB with them.

• Love 3

I just watched the footage of Eli being interviewed at has locker looking and sounding understandably emotional. 

But I couldn't help but be distracted by the loud laughter in the background, it seemed odd, does anyone know what that was about?

It’s a bummer that the Giants organization handled his benching so badly, but I’d actually think for next year his traded to another team would benefit Eli personally, particularly if he’s traded to a contender or at least someone with a decent OL.  

If he has a good couple of years somewhere else , it would probably improve his chances of getting to the Hall of Fame.

As of now, despite his 2 SB rings, I don’t think he cuts it.  (Shades of Jim Plunkett)   Brady, Peyton, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Big Ben, are the QB’s of this ERA who have the inside track.  Get him somewhere where he gets a third ring, however...

Edited by caracas1914

I'm almost wondering if Geno Smith is nothing but the sacrificial lamb. The O-Line can't block for shit, so instead of Eli potentially getting killed, they're going to let Geno take the risk instead. The season's done anyways, so maybe they're trying to protect their starter and regroup for next year. That's the only scenario that somewhat makes sense to me. 

Well, Geno is adept at scrambling so at least he can try to elude tackles if he has to. I also feel bad for Geno because he is being lambasted when he's actually been a good soldier in Blueville. Doesn't bitch and moan and isn't a distraction. This doesn't mean I want him instead of Eli but this is how the chips have fallen. Geno is not the bad guy here.   23 skidoo to McAdoo. 

• Love 5

Chris Collinsworth on a shot of Jerry Jones looking at his phone. "He's looking at highlights from their Super Bowl years."

Me "Oh, you mean those highlights from almost a quarter of a century ago?"

• Love 5

I am glad that the Cowboys won tonight. I was concerned they weren't going to win due to their recent struggles. But the defense did a great job tonight of forcing turnovers and helping the team get ahead and stay there. Special teams and the O-line also did a nice job in helping them get the win. I'm also glad their run game was working tonight as well.  

The Redskins lost but I thought that overall Kirk Cousins did a nice job. I think that he's a solid QB.

Edited by Jx223

God dammit Washington could not get out of their own way in the first half.  What a sucky game.  Any time Dallas gets slurped all over with praise is a game that holds no interest for me.

Also anything that makes Jerry Jones happy will have the opposite effect on me. Fuck him.

Watch out Cowboys!  Geno Smith And Davis Webb are coming for you next!

Sigh.

• Love 3

The Boys are Back in Town.  The Boys are Back in Town.

They just had to realize that Elliott is not going to suddenly show up and save them.  So everyone else -- especially the Defense -- remembered they had a job to do and did it.  

With 4 minutes left I was all "Don't blow it.   Don't blow it."

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, mojoween said:

What are the odds in our new world the voting committee makes a statement and doesn't vote Lewis in on the first ballot?

In other news, there are more than eight worthy candidates here. ‘Cept you, Lewis.

DPMwR0YW4AA3gyJ?format=jpg&name=large

I had an insanely busy couple of weeks, so am late to comment on this.  As a Packers fan, I would love to see Leroy Butler get in the HOF, but I know he won't.  A great player, a great guy, and he invented the Lambeau Leap.  My favorite play by Leroy Butler was in the Super Bowl win against the Patriots when he blitzed, RB Dave Meggett tried to block him, and Leroy just took him along for the ride and sacked Bledsoe with Meggett hanging on for dear life.  

Question on the benching of Eli - will he be active?  If he's active, what are the odds that the Giants' porous o-line results in Geno getting hurt and Eli trotting onto the field? 

13 hours ago, Calvada said:

Question on the benching of Eli - will he be active?  If he's active, what are the odds that the Giants' porous o-line results in Geno getting hurt and Eli trotting onto the field? 

I believe Eli is active.   However, he is the 3rd string qb this game.   Magoo wants to see how the other guys does too.    So both Smith and the other guy would have to get hurt for him to play.

I keep hoping Magoo will come to his senses and start Eli.   Just because it was announced doesn't mean that is who takes the first snap.

Correction:   Webb (previously "the other guy) is inactive.   So Eli will back up Geno.   Which could mean he ends the game he didn't start and ended the streak.

Edited by merylinkid
On 11/29/2017 at 3:44 PM, Moose135 said:

I think I'd rather him go to Jacksonville, reunited with Tom Coughlin, and win the SB with them.

Oh what sweet karmic justice this would be.  The Giants messed up when they fired Coughlin....then compounded that mistake by promoting Mcadoo. 

On 11/30/2017 at 1:14 PM, caracas1914 said:

As of now, despite his 2 SB rings, I don’t think he cuts it.  (Shades of Jim Plunkett)   Brady, Peyton, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Big Ben, are the QB’s of this ERA who have the inside track.  Get him somewhere where he gets a third ring, however...

Interesting you mention those names...because Eli is one of only 7 QBs to pass for over 50,000 yards.  The others? Brady, Peyton, Brees, Favre, Marino and Elway.  ALL HoF'ers. The only things I've heard people say as a negative is Eli's interception total...but all those other guys on the 50,000 list (minus Brady) have more career interceptions. Yes even Brees has more (only 3 more but still). Then we have him not making the playoffs every year.  But his playoff record is...8-4 (5 of those wins are on the road).  And IMO if Brady and Belicheck are going down as the greatest QB and coach of this or any generation...then Eli beating them TWICE has to count for something extra. 

I think if Eli doesnt play another down he gets in to the HoF. He's got the stats and the hardware.  And as the media proved with TO...its not only about the stats. Eli being a good teammate and professional and having a good rapport with them over the years will help too.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 9

The Browns are currently 0-11 & played those Chargers today. Hopefully, the Chargers won't piss me off like they did last season by messing up an 0-16 season in losing to the Browns. I'm still very angry about that game. 

I think Eli Manning would definitely get in the Hall of Fame if his career ended today. From that list, I wonder if were going hear some more whining from Terrell Owens if he doesn't get in the 2nd time around. I'm not here for his whining & crying if he doesn't get in this time. He also needs to keep quiet. 

imo Eli is a borderline Hall of Famer. I wouldn't personally put him in, but I do believe he'll get in because he played in a big market and is a Manning. And I will say that between Eli and Carson Palmer, who is the other name from this generation I've seen bandied about as borderline, I'd definitely put Eli in first, no question.

• Love 1

Nice to hear CBS halftime guys giving the Bears’s Tarik Cohen some love. He really is an excellent RB, right in the Bears tradition of great RBs. His punt return for TD got some hilarious commentary. He caught the ball on the Bears 39, but instead of going forwards, he doubled back to the 24 line to find some running room, where he finally found a hole and started to sprint. Commentator: “He is going the wrong way. Now he is REALLY going the wrong way! Wait, he has some room. He was going the right way! Now he is going all the way!” On the replay, he was just as funny, putting in the Bears coach’s presumed thoughts: “No! No!! What are you doing?! Get down! Wait, keep going! Oh yeah, just like we planned it...well, maybe not JUST like we planned it, but it works...”

• Love 5

Thankfully, the Chargers did not mess up today like they did last December. I don't know who the Browns play next week, but I'm certain that they're going to lose that game. 

Since Bob McAdoo is dead man looking, hopefully he won't get hired in any capacity in the NFL ever again. He almost makes that loser Mike McCoy look like a genius in comparison. 

Hearing Ronde Barber gurgle out “well some of the positive plays Geno made were because he’s able to get out of the pocket” made me want to take a flamethrower to the television.

Shut UP, Ronde.  Eli has proven for thirteen years that while he is OBVIOUSLY not a scrambler, he can get out of trouble when necessary.

I have no idea what I want to happen tonight.  I think I’m leaning toward the ‘Hawks, but only because they’re at home.  But every game the Eagles win puts them further out in front of Dallas.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Magog said:

Thankfully, the Chargers did not mess up today like they did last December. I don't know who the Browns play next week, but I'm certain that they're going to lose that game. 

Don't get overconfident yet......the Browns have to find a way to lose to the Bears in a couple of weeks; something that has become increasingly more difficult to do as this season has worn on:)

1 hour ago, pennben said:

Don't get overconfident yet......the Browns have to find a way to lose to the Bears in a couple of weeks; something that has become increasingly more difficult to do as this season has worn on:)

Hell, the Bears even lost to the 49ers!

Gronk should get at least a game, if not more, as a suspension for his hit today. 

That play was illegal even if it was DURING a play and not after it was already long over.  And he could have seriously, permanently injured the opposing player. 

Add it to the list of reasons why no one likes the Pats.  Along with the litany of excuses on social media of "yes it was a cheap shot, but Gronk gets held all the time", so semi-justify the play. 

They were up by 20 half way through the 4th quarter when it happened.  That excuse is another of the "something didn't go the pats way so they are being mistreated!" justifications

• Love 5

I thought that Philly was going to win the game tonight, but Russell Wilson played great as usual and the Seahawks pulled out the win. Their defense did a nice job against Carson Wentz. I think that Philly will clinch their division within the next couple of weeks. I am interested in seeing what happens between them and the Rams next week.

Also, I thought that Jimmy Garoppolo looked good today. Granted, the 49ers struggled in the red zone, but he seemed comfortable in the pocket and made nice throws. The 49ers racking up penalties prevented them from doing more but they still managed to get the win. Robbie Gould also did a really nice job of helping them get the win.

Speaking of penalties, the Chiefs came undone at the end of their game against the Jets with all the penalties they kept getting. I am glad that the Jets won, and have been entertained by them this season. They still have a chance to make it into the playoffs and could end up with a much better record than a lot of people predicted they would have.

I am also glad to see Josh Gordon back and hope he can stay on the field this time around. 

Will be interesting to see how Philly and Carson Wentz react to the added pressure now that the home field advantage has slipped to the Vikings and the rest of the schedule is “must” wins..

However 3 of those opponents are the Rams, Raiders and Cowboys.   

Forget home field through out, they could conceivably now even lose the bye week...

Gronk absolutely deserves a suspension and if he appeals Goodell should laugh in his face and say “seriously? Get your ass back to Foxboro and wait for the next game.  Dick.”

To say that was justification for constantly getting held?  Christ, there really are tiny birds living in his skull, aren’t there?

I didn’t see what happened after, did the INT stand?  Because that did look like PI by the Buffalo defender, or at least holding.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

The play did stand, but there were three other penalties thrown on the play for unsportsmanlike conduct elsewhere on the field and somehow that equated to Buffalo getting the ball and starting 1st and 25. 

The Seattle Philly game, blown missed challenge OF THE YEAR.  Russell Wilson clearly pitched the ball forward when running downfield on a key 3rd down play, wasn't challenged and it stood.

I thought it was a lateral in real time but on replay it was clearly a forward pass.  Was in the 4th quarter, Seattle ended up scoring and going up by two scores so pretty much ended the game. 

• Love 1

Gronk shouldn't have done it.   He knows it.   He apologized after the game.   Belichek apologized after the game.   That is more than most players do.   Usually the player and/or coach just complains about being unfairly targets for penalties.    If he hadn't done it, the PI might have been called.   But I don't think he should be suspended.   He's generally a good player and he just lost it for a moment.   And he apologized already.   

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Jebus, the Chiefs just melted down at the end of the game there, there should be some major house cleaning there.

The clown that threw the penalty flag into the stands?  Then returned to the sidelines sans socks?  I would've cut his ass right after that act.  Big Red is slipping with the discipline.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Will be interesting to see how Philly and Carson Wentz react to the added pressure now that the home field advantage has slipped to the Vikings and the rest of the schedule is “must” wins..

However 3 of those opponents are the Rams, Raiders and Cowboys.   

Forget home field through out, they could conceivably now even lose the bye week...

They will win their division but I could see them losing to the Rams next week. And I could see the Rams/Seahawks/Vikings being a problem for them in the playoffs and possibly beating Philly if they meet in them. I think that Seattle showed last night how you can beat them with good defensive play even with Seattle missing top defensive players.

21 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Peters is an All Pro. Talent earns you a lot of leeway.

I loved the reaction of the guy in the stands who caught the flag. 

Yeah, I doubt that Marcus is going anywhere. He's very talented and I think that frustration got the better of him. They probably talked to him about it, but I don't think he's getting cut. I think that the Chiefs have a bigger problem and need to look at why they are losing so many games. They should be at the top of their division alone, given how poorly Denver is playing, how Oakland is struggling and the Chargers starting off slowly. With the way things are currently going, the Chargers could actually end up winning this division.

Guess McAdoo’s key card stopped working!  He and Reese can take the same shuttle the fuck out of there.

It happened a week too late. Eli could have done exactly what Geno did yesterday and all this ill will never would have happened.

The Giants are a historic franchise, man.  This sort of shit should not happen to a team like that.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Sounds like GM Jerry Reese is following him out the door as well.

I just saw on ESPN that they are now reporting that Jerry has been fired too. I had read yesterday that Giants owners were thinking of firing Ben by today. It looks like they really didn't like the way he handled the situation with Eli in addition to the team struggling as bad they have this season.