Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

They played the It's All Coming Back to Me Now commercial often last night.   I blubbered Ever. Single. Time.    In July I truly believed there would be no season, to actually see games played is great.    

Every first week rough even when they have preseason games to work some kinks out.   They didn't have that this year so it was rougher than usual.   They'll figure ito out.   But there's a reason Jason Garret, despite being head coach hasn't called plays for a game since 2012.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Every first week rough even when they have preseason games to work some kinks out.   They didn't have that this year so it was rougher than usual.   They'll figure ito out.   But there's a reason Jason Garret, despite being head coach hasn't called plays for a game since 2012.   

That's the thing.  It's one week.  Sure it might make the difference in the end, though at least most times other factors lead to a teams placement after all is said and done.  It might take until November 5-9 which is the mid-point of the season for teams to figure out everything and stay fit for NFL football.

Personally, my concern is more than the lack of pre-season games, off-season workouts, and watered down training camp, leading to a watered down product.  The Giants did not look great last night, but the team that beat them wasted no time losing players due to injury.  That could have a domino effect throughout the season

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I think it’s perfectly sane and reasonable after one game to decide that Joe Judge and Jason Garrett have no idea how to call a game for Saquon.

There was a lot going on that contributed to the complete absence of a running game for the Giants. I do think a lot of it was an X's and O's problem, which is on not just Garrett, but also the OL, RB, and TE coaches. Some of it had to do with Gates and Flemming not being particularly great. And of course, the fact that the Steelers defense is really good should be acknowledged. 

On the bright side, Andrew Thomas looked pretty darn good. Didn't hear his name called, which is good thing for an OL.

There was one play where Bud Dupree practically took the handoff from Jones himself. When you watch the play again, you see that the call was for Thomas to work with Hernandez to take out the Steelers linemen, while Zeitler was to drop back from right guard and pick up the pursuing Dupree.  But all Zeitler could do was wave frustratingly at Dupree who was already bringing down Barkley. Other times Thomas was assigned somebody else on the Steelers line, and a RB or a TE was supposed to slow down Dupree on either run or pass plays. And they also failed. 

So like I said, there was an entire coaching staff who could have recognized that Dupree was too fast, and too talented, to let him run free right into the backfield. 

Regardless of all that, the Giants looked better prepared and more full of fight than I've seen from them in a long time. Teams like the Steelers, the Ravens, the Seahawks (and realistically the entire NFC West), are all going to be tough games for them this year, but they did look like they'll be easier to watch and root for this season.

• Love 1

Which leads me to the other side of the coin.....Tom Brady. Yikes, that was painful. I know there was no preseason and they were going up against a very strong Saints team, but man, the Bucs are sloppy and undisciplined. It's a complete 180 from New England and Tom looked like he was contemplating retirement by the third quarter. I also think he needs to get off that ridiculous diet his trainer has him on. I thought he looked frail and brittle, especially in comparison to Brees, who's not much younger

Sports critics praised him for his performances even after 35, but you have wonder if his longevity was due to the Belichek. Sure he was a dick coach but he was good at making sure he got players to protect/support Brady and it reduced any career ending injuries.

• Useful 1

Brady and Belichick had a wonderful but very particular symbiosis together. The offense they and McDaniel created played to Brady's strength: Processing information. From the personnel on the field to how they line up to presnap movement to postsnap actions, it was all to give Brady information to help him make decisions as late as possible, after the defense declared itself. That's one reason why Brady melding with his wide receivers was always very hit and miss. It's not enough for a receiver to be physically dominant. They have to see exactly what Brady sees and adjust on the fly to it. Whether they can recreate that with a different coach in Arians is anyone's guess. I'd guess that they'll be OK but not great. Like 8-8 to 10-6 by the end of the year. I actually think the best fit for Brady would've been the Colts, with a strong line and coach who protected Luck well with a short passing game in his last year. Arians wants to be a mad bomber but has a mediocre line.

Meanwhile Belichick gets to rebound from Brady with a former league MVP who's apparently feeling fine now and is flexible enough to ask him to play like Cam and not Brady. I'm not one to play the "Who was more important?" game but it seems early on that Belichick came out better in the divorce than Brady.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Brady and Belichick had a wonderful but very particular symbiosis together.

Isn't that the way with all the HOF superstar QBs and coaches though? I'd like to see them both succeed, but you look at Montana moving on, and he wasn't in the Walsh system where he was successful. 

I mean, the guy played at the highest level into his mid 40s. I think he's playing with house money at this point. 

26 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Isn't that the way with all the HOF superstar QBs and coaches though? I'd like to see them both succeed, but you look at Montana moving on, and he wasn't in the Walsh system where he was successful. 

I mean, the guy played at the highest level into his mid 40s. I think he's playing with house money at this point. 

Montana made it to the afc title game his first year in KC. Also made a pro bowl. 

Manning went to 4 Superbowls with 4 different coaches over two teams.  Only one of the coaches is likely a HOFer. (Dungy already in then fox kubiak and caldwell)

And won division titles with five different cosches ( throw in jim mora)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Brady and Belichick had a wonderful but very particular symbiosis together. The offense they and McDaniel created played to Brady's strength: Processing information. From the personnel on the field to how they line up to presnap movement to postsnap actions, it was all to give Brady information to help him make decisions as late as possible, after the defense declared itself. That's one reason why Brady melding with his wide receivers was always very hit and miss. It's not enough for a receiver to be physically dominant. They have to see exactly what Brady sees and adjust on the fly to it. Whether they can recreate that with a different coach in Arians is anyone's guess. I'd guess that they'll be OK but not great. Like 8-8 to 10-6 by the end of the year. I actually think the best fit for Brady would've been the Colts, with a strong line and coach who protected Luck well with a short passing game in his last year. Arians wants to be a mad bomber but has a mediocre line.

Meanwhile Belichick gets to rebound from Brady with a former league MVP who's apparently feeling fine now and is flexible enough to ask him to play like Cam and not Brady. I'm not one to play the "Who was more important?" game but it seems early on that Belichick came out better in the divorce than Brady.

Both of them together were better for some reason.   brady is a good QB but he is also old.    Favre over 40 wasn't that great when he left the Packers.   (I would argue he wasn't that great to begin with me, but that's me and I've been saying it since 1996).   Belichek will do well without Brady.   But he does better WITH Brady.   Brady won't do poorly without Belichek but he was GREAT with Belichek.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

OMG! The Cardinals have a winning record. ... ... I thought I better say it now while I have the chance.

I don’t blame you.  If the Giants had a winning record I would buy a billboard.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Both of them together were better for some reason.   brady is a good QB but he is also old.    Favre over 40 wasn't that great when he left the Packers.   (I would argue he wasn't that great to begin with me, but that's me and I've been saying it since 1996).   Belichek will do well without Brady.   But he does better WITH Brady.   Brady won't do poorly without Belichek but he was GREAT with Belichek.

Well-put.  People will say that Belichick isn't as good because of what he did in Cleveland.  The thing is that he turned it around, and sorta got unlucky due to non-field nonsense.  That was Bill's first stint as a head couch.  The guy still did very well as a defensive coach; he was part of every coaching staff Parcells had when you talk about Bill Parcells' playoff victories.

With Brady, he didn't coach the defense, though he was a leader to those guys, a great motivator.  I totally admire Tom's work ethic. Went from not much to the best football player ever.  During those 20 years, he kept improving and got ready for the whatever was next (though so has Bill).  Reminds me of Ryu from Street Fighter, except Brady celebrated his titles upon winning them.

The good news for Tom is that it's one game, a tough loss to the best team within that division in their place.  The thing Belichick has more than Brady is more time to do what he's done best in 20 years

Well Green Bay beat the Vikings 43-34, but despite the humiliation I thought 1) there was good stuff happening for the Vikings and 2) both teams didn't play that great although GB played better. I thought Cousins was more flexible in the pocket than in the past and he made a couple of running plays, too. So he is working on scrambling. (Keenum was like a waterbug, darting all over the place.) I liked seeing Jefferson catching his first passes, getting better at it as the game progressed. Plus Bisi Johnson, Irv Smith, and Mattison contributing, too. And of course Adam Thielen and Dalvin Cook. (I like Dalvin. Besides being a good player he is always smiling.) The weakest part is defense against the passing game. Dantzler was beginning to get it a little by the end of the game but he is on the injured list this week. Danielle Hunter being out didn't help. Kendricks and Smith must have been exhausted by game end. 

I watched the Buffalo and Browns games because I wanted to see how Stefanski and Diggs did. I felt bad for Stefanski. Maybe he should grow his whiskers back. Diggs did fine but he is one of many good players on that Buffalo offense. I'll watch the Colts today since we are playing them next. And I also plan to watch the Patriots/NO game. My boss is a big Patriots fan (she lives in MA) and was glad Brady didn't do well!

10 hours ago, Carey said:

The good news for Tom is that it's one game, a tough loss to the best team within that division in their place. 

You know there's going to be a few classic Brady drives that will win some games. I like the guy, but objectively, running through the AFC east wasn't that much of a challenge. They'll get into the playoffs, and who knows after that. 

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Bengals-Browns tonight!  Who’s excited?!?  Come on, you know you are dying to watch Burrow vs. Mayfield.

Strangely enough, I am interested in tonight's game and not just because both teams are in my team's division.  Bengals are supposed to suck, but supposedly played pretty well.  Browns, for the second year in a row, gave people high expectations before the season, but sucked last Sunday.  Interested to see which way both teams trend tonight.  Hopefully, neither are a threat to my Ravens.  Now, if they can just take the Steelers down with them...

• Love 3

I am looking forward to seeing Joe Burrow play.   He seems like a nice young man.   I hope he does well but I am realistic about his team's chances.   I would say one team has to win tonight, but the teams do have a history of ties.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:
9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Why do the Thursday games always suck?

Mostly, I think it's because they have very little recovery time for such a brutal sport.

Yet another example of someone or the league taking a rare/good thing and running it into the ground.  Pretty much pictured this in 2006.  Similar to the other AFC North teams when they played in 2014, the good news for the Ohio teams is that it's very early with their annual Thursday game done for the year.

It is sorta hypocritical that a player isn't allowed to play whether he wants to or not following a concussion, especially if the following game is a Thursday.  Though it's almost unlikely that they'd recover in seven days anyway

On 9/17/2020 at 10:08 PM, xaxat said:

So they just revealed the new HOF plaza with plaques engraved with the names of every NFL player in history. I wonder if they "accidentally" left off guys like Ray Carruth and Aaron Hernandez.

Probably not if Peter King had a say on who's included on it

Just finished watching the Super Stadiums special on the NFL network about building SoFi Stadium.  Amazing.  There's even a TV in the roof for the planes flying overhead - it's near the airport.  Can't wait to see the next stadium that's going to top this one.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Panthers v. Bucs today.   Teddy Bridgewater v. Tom Brady.   that should be interesting.   

Why? 

I think merklinkid was being sarcastic.

Though I'll have to get highlights or catch as much as possible through RedZone, it'll be interesting for me.  I don't imagine Teddy will do much, but maybe he could.  It'll be interesting to see what Tom and Tampa can do.  They'll be facing a far more inferior foe than in the past week

27 minutes ago, Magog said:

Those dumb ass Falcons are up 17-0 right now on the scummy Cowboys. Hopefully, those idiots won't find a way to choke it away. 

That's a 17-point lead.  That would hardly be choking it away, in my humble opinion.  As it's now a 19-point lead, it would be more tradition than unprecedented for Atlanta.  Though it is Dallas!

• LOL 1

Atlanta blowing a big lead, IMO, is the new Buffalo Bills and their special teams nightmare from a previous era.

I didn't follow the Giants game that much (I'm actually tuning into the US Open during the period of all the sports at the same time).  I did hear about it and saw an image of him being carried off, and I was not happy.  Wasn't sure of the injury, but before the fears set in, I didn't for once think it was a minor thing where New York was being cautious for their star RB.

That sucks for the Giants, but I though Barkley was in danger last Monday against Pittsburgh.  Speaking of which, New York is coming off of a short week playing a Sunday afternoon game following a Monday night game. This in a season where injuries are slated to occur more often than the norm

Now that my heart is finally beating again, I have just this to say "HOW 'BOUT THEM BOYS!!!!"

I was resigned to an 0-2 start.    They had a 2% probablity of winning the game.   Which is why they ACTUALLY PLAY THE DAMN GAMES rather than just input info in a computer and declare the winner.

But seriously TWO fake punts when the first one failed miserable.    On top of last week saving his time outs at the end of the game?   I think McCarthy is trying to hard to be "innovative" and he SUCKS at it.

• Love 3