Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The funny thing about the Mahomes contract to me is that the announcement came out of nowhere.  He still has time on his rookie deal, does he not?  And suddenly he’s extended for a decade.

All of the contract negotiations should be like this, where we don’t hear one damn word and then boom, it’s done.

• Love 4

Analysis I've seen says that while the numbers look mind-boggling Mahomes' deal still somewhat team friendly. Of course, that's assuming the salary cap continues to go up. If the cap goes down due to pandemic related lost revenue, all bets are off.

DeSean Jackson’s apology was just *chef’s kiss*.

Basically - I used a quote from Hitler but wasn’t trying to put anyone down and I’m sorry you took it the way you did and I wasn’t trying to make anyone feel some type of way.

• Love 3
On 7/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Fukui San said:

Analysis I've seen says that while the numbers look mind-boggling Mahomes' deal still somewhat team friendly. Of course, that's assuming the salary cap continues to go up. If the cap goes down due to pandemic related lost revenue, all bets are off.

It's interestingly team friendly (for example the roster bonuses can be turned into signing bonuses in any year they need some cap relief) but the way I see it, also pretty good for him.  Remembering that he's still got two years left on his rookie deal, the ten year extension takes him out through twelve years. The way it works is he gets his "salary" in the form of roster bonus plus salary. In the beginning, it's stuff like $2.5 million salary and $35 million roster bonus. Towards the end it's $20 million salary and $24 million roster bonus. 

The cool thing is that the future salary + roster bonuses are fully guaranteed two years in advance in the beginning of the contract. So I'm just looking at it from the only thing that matters to a football player, and that's "guaranteed money". The part of the contracts that work like a baseball player's contract.

When he signed the deal, he was officially guaranteed his base salary and the big roster bonuses for 2020, 2021, and 2022. That means that at signing, he is now guaranteed $63 million. So that pretty much takes away any risk he would have played under this year of some sort of career altering injury, which unfortunately is a real thing for NFL players.

But what happens for the next few years is that on the third day of the league year in 2021 is that he's guaranteed the salary and roster bonus for 2023. Same deal in 2022 where he's guaranteed all the way through 2024.  It flips around a little bit in 2024, when in that year his guaranteed money only increase by $3 million, but after that the guaranteed money goes up $40-$50 million every year.

It feels like it is a contract that kind of works like a baseball contract but also lets the club terminate it (painfully from a cap perspective) early if they want to do so. 

In the end, given that cap numbers will almost certainly go up significantly over the next 12 years, the average amount of his contract extension years (which is $45 million/year) will probably end up being less than what the top quarterbacks would have earned. But he's trading off wagering that he could make more with a few shorter extensions than this one big one with a deal that kind of always has him guaranteed money starting two years before the team had to guarantee him anything.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Amazon and Wal Mart have pulled Washington jerseys. Nike I can see doing it for the politics, but not those two. So my guess is that the decision has officially been made and partners have been informed even though it has not bee announced to the public. Maybe they are waiting for trademark clearance and creation of new merch.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's interestingly team friendly (for example the roster bonuses can be turned into signing bonuses in any year they need some cap relief) but the way I see it, also pretty good for him.  Remembering that he's still got two years left on his rookie deal, the ten year extension takes him out through twelve years. The way it works is he gets his "salary" in the form of roster bonus plus salary. In the beginning, it's stuff like $2.5 million salary and $35 million roster bonus. Towards the end it's $20 million salary and $24 million roster bonus. 

The cool thing is that the future salary + roster bonuses are fully guaranteed two years in advance in the beginning of the contract. So I'm just looking at it from the only thing that matters to a football player, and that's "guaranteed money". The part of the contracts that work like a baseball player's contract.

When he signed the deal, he was officially guaranteed his base salary and the big roster bonuses for 2020, 2021, and 2022. That means that at signing, he is now guaranteed $63 million. So that pretty much takes away any risk he would have played under this year of some sort of career altering injury, which unfortunately is a real thing for NFL players.

But what happens for the next few years is that on the third day of the league year in 2021 is that he's guaranteed the salary and roster bonus for 2023. Same deal in 2022 where he's guaranteed all the way through 2024.  It flips around a little bit in 2024, when in that year his guaranteed money only increase by $3 million, but after that the guaranteed money goes up $40-$50 million every year.

It feels like it is a contract that kind of works like a baseball contract but also lets the club terminate it (painfully from a cap perspective) early if they want to do so. 

In the end, given that cap numbers will almost certainly go up significantly over the next 12 years, the average amount of his contract extension years (which is $45 million/year) will probably end up being less than what the top quarterbacks would have earned. But he's trading off wagering that he could make more with a few shorter extensions than this one big one with a deal that kind of always has him guaranteed money starting two years before the team had to guarantee him anything.

Yes that is a pretty good summary.  one article I found did a very detailed breakdown if it, sounds like you read the same thing. 

I was surprised too that they redid his deal so early in his current one, I would have ridden his rookie deal longer to take advantage the next few years.  But overall its not a bad deal for either side.  His cap number in 2021 the next year is about $25 million, then 31.5 million, then for 5 years it stays about $40 million.  Those next few years are big but not huge in comparison to the current top QBs, they are all getting into the 25-30+ range, and if the TV revenue increases like expected the cap hit of $40 million will be under a projected total salary cap increase from current 200 million to 300 million, so its still reasonable. 

its like they redo it before 2026 or so, before his cap number of 60 million hits in 2027 as guarranteed.  I think that is a year before the 2027 season.  It changes from 2 years before to one year before I think then. 

I am not a Chiefs fan myself but I like Mahommes.  He can certainly end up being one of the all time greats.  but I also think some of the praise is a bit premature.  3 years in the league.  even FIVE years is an eternity in this league.  A whole lot can happen.  Injuries, team turnover, etc.  He pretty much signed into an ideal situation with KC in terms of coach and offensive talent at the time.  Sustaining that, keeping that talent, staying great over a decade, its not easy. 

Give years ago Cam Newton was a league MVP  Now he is signing a deal $1 million plus bonuses just to be able to keep playing in the league. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's guaranteed money for Mahomes and the team has room to pay for good players around him.    Now, I am not against players getting all they can while they can.   Careers are short and they have to live with live long effects on their bodies.   Not everyone goes into broadcasting or motivational speaking.   But, on the other hand, how many millions does someone need to live comfortably.    When all is said and done, IF Mahomes plays through the life of the contract, he will STILL have made over half a billion.   Given who his dad is and how Mahomes seems in general, I don't think he will be investing in friend's outlandish schemes and buying a fleet of fancy cars.   So that money will be invested safely, leaving him a nice chunk of change when he retires.   He knows this.   So he made sure that all that money he COULD theoretically get when the salary cap goes up and the franchise tag, etc. will still be available to the team to sign other good players around him.   They can build a team, rather than have one guy be 25% of the total salary cap.   Smart move all around.

This is also only his football money.   He has and will have a lot of good endorsement deals.   Mahomes is not going to be hurting for cash.  

Fun Fact:   Peyton Manning who retired in 2015 has the biggest payout on football related merchandise and jerseys of ANY player, current and retired.   Not to mention STILL doing commercials because he has name recognition.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Now, I am not against players getting all they can while they can.   Careers are short and they have to live with live long effects on their bodies.   Not everyone goes into broadcasting or motivational speaking.   But, on the other hand, how many millions does someone need to live comfortably. 

The Hunt family, who own the Chiefs, are worth $15.3 billion. How may billions does someone need to live comfortably?

• Love 4
22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Give years ago Cam Newton was a league MVP  Now he is signing a deal $1 million plus bonuses just to be able to keep playing in the league. 

That is crazy.  OTOH, no a super-shocker.  Nearly forgot that he didn't win a playoff game until his 4th season.  Even after his 17-2 MVP year, he and his team were in contention.  Maybe not so much 2016, but from 2017 to later in 2018 before a trip to Pittsburgh, he was relevant.  If New England wins and Cam is on the field throughout, that should change his worth

Speaking of Cam, as it relates to his original team, I didn't even know someone put a statue of Jerry Richardson at Bank of America Stadium, let alone forgetting it outright

13 hours ago, Carey said:

That is crazy.  OTOH, no a super-shocker.  Nearly forgot that he didn't win a playoff game until his 4th season.  Even after his 17-2 MVP year, he and his team were in contention.  Maybe not so much 2016, but from 2017 to later in 2018 before a trip to Pittsburgh, he was relevant.  If New England wins and Cam is on the field throughout, that should change his worth

Speaking of Cam, as it relates to his original team, I didn't even know someone put a statue of Jerry Richardson at Bank of America Stadium, let alone forgetting it outright

Yeah.......I think Jerry Richardson decided to put a statue of Jerry Richardson outside BoA stadium.  No fan or former player was clamoring for that one. 

I am not sure Cam will ever physically be what he once was as far as a runner and athlete and he relied on that to be successful to a large degree.  He will have to change his game to succeed in NE.  But if any coach can get that out of him its BB. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think Jerry Richardson decided to put a statue of Jerry Richardson outside BoA stadium.  No fan or former player was clamoring for that one. 

Reportedly, the statue was a gift to Richardson from the team's limited partners for his 80th birthday. When David Tepper bought the team, he stated he was "contractually obligated" to leave the statue in place. It was removed "in the interest of public safety" during the protests following the murder of George Floyd. While the Panthers have not commented publicly, it is believed the team has no intention of restoring it to the stadium.

• Useful 1

I just read that no fans can attend Vikings training camp and that it is an NFL thing. I'm not suprised but am disappointed. Night practice was fun to watch. They'd have a scrimmage and then fireworks afterwards.

• Useful 1

Done or not done, I don't see the rush to get it done today.  I imagine it'll get done as soon as possible unless they're okay losing FedEx.  Would it be great to have a new name by the start of the season? Of course!  They probably have to; while they could say the new name is effective 2021 but it's written in stone, there won't be any sales as everyone's taken Washington's gear out of their stores.

As mentioned: As much as money doesn't talk, money talks

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I would think they'd want a new name by the start of the season if only to sell the new merch for people to wear to the game. 

Are they expecting fans at the start of the season, assuming there is a season?

I think they should come out with totally generic grey uniforms (which people will buy) and announce the name after the season.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the Pittsburgh sports radio stations had a debate/listener poll on the current Steeler uniforms verses their official throwbacks. ('Cause there is nothing to really talk about.)

Current jersey

ff_2998275_full.jpg&w=340

Throwback

ff_3036456_full.jpg&w=340

I understand if you don't see the difference, but people in Pittsburgh are really passionate about the block letters.

Personally, I miss the bumble bee.

steelers-throwbacks.png

Although I don't really miss Antonio Brown.

• Love 5

Washington Renegades has a nice flow but I have no idea what the mascot would be. Red Tails seems to be mentioned a lot but that sounds like a baseball team.

There's been some cryptic tweets from Washington media about a big story about to break that doesn't have anything to do with the name change in Washington. The Post should be breaking the story Thursday or Friday. Rumor has it that it's big enough to force Snyder to sell the team... 🍿🍿🍿

Red Wolves doesn't really flow as a name, but the species (like so many) has been almost wiped out so I guess this could end up being a mealymouthed epitaph to another animal that humans have sent into exctinction?

Red Tails would be nice because it's not only a reference to the Tuskegee Airmen but also to the Red Tailed Hawk which is native to North America.

Generals, Soldiers, 'Generic militaristic name' all sounds very much up the alley of your stereotypical NFL fan. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they go for something as crass as that, in a time when the political allegiances of owners and players is coming under more scrutiny than ever.

• Love 2

I actually don't care what they name the team because I think nicknames are kind of silly, although I fully agree that all the offensive ones should have been wiped ages ago. 

I have no doubt that the decision will be made for the most blandly derivative option to placate the dudeflakes. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

There's been some cryptic tweets from Washington media about a big story about to break that doesn't have anything to do with the name change in Washington. The Post should be breaking the story Thursday or Friday. Rumor has it that it's big enough to force Snyder to sell the team... 🍿🍿🍿

It's beginning to leak out, although the Post hasn't dropped their story yet.

Oh, and

Within the past week, front-office members Richard Mann III and Alex Santos, as well as radio play-by-play voice Larry Michael, left the organization.

ETA Here it is.

From dream job to nightmare

More than a dozen women allege sexual harassment and verbal abuse by former team employees at Redskins Park

Dan Snyder is almost at Jerry Jones levels of hands on. No way he didn't know what a cesspool his organization was.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
(edited)

Personally, this latest news should be enough for FedEx to separate itself from Washington.  Doesn't matter whether or not Washington changes its name, this is just about as bad.  As for Dan Snyder, I do not think there is anything for the NFL to gain from keeping him around

Edited for grammer.  Think and thing aren't really alike

Edited by Carey
  • Love 6

Owner of Fedex is a minority partner.   He's been trying to sell for months -- no buyers.   No one wants to work with Snyder.

Honestly this is not surprising news.    I believe the women.   But I would bet you could find 15 women at least at any other team.   The whole LEAGUE has a problem.   Richardson was forced out because he was the harasser.    Everyone else just needs to clean up the culture.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

It's bullshit, but entirely predictable, that Snyder is hiding behind Ron Rivera.

It's also bullshit, but entirely predictable, that Goodell let Snyder hire the firm to lead an "independent" investigation instead of the league taking over. (Not that I trust either of them.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

It's also bullshit, but entirely predictable, that Goodell let Snyder hire the firm to lead an "independent" investigation instead of the league taking over. (Not that I trust either of them.)

Beth Wilkinson, IIRC, is the same lawyer who's arguing on behalf of Judge Emmett Sullivan in the appeal of Michael Flynn's dismissed charges.  Don't think she's gonna roll over and do Danny's bidding.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Beth Wilkinson, IIRC, is the same lawyer who's arguing on behalf of Judge Emmett Sullivan in the appeal of Michael Flynn's dismissed charges.  Don't think she's gonna roll over and do Danny's bidding.

Yeah but she was hired by Snyder.    He is her client.   She has an ethical duty to protect her client and NOT throw him under the bus.   Every other investigation the League hired the attorney to investigate so the duty was to the League, not the individual owner/team.     The big key is whether or not the women are released from their NDA's for the investigation.   If they are Snyder is serious.   If they are not, Snyder wants a report that blames everyone but him.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 5
On 7/17/2020 at 7:47 AM, Carey said:

Personally, this latest news should be enough for FedEx to separate itself from Washington.  Doesn't matter whether or not Washington changes its name, this is just about as bad.  As for Dan Snyder, I do not think there is anything for the NFL to gain from keeping him around

Edited for grammer.  Think and thing aren't really alike

Dan Snyder is the Donald Sterling of the NFL. I can totally see him being forced to sell the team.

Meanwhile, our local sports guys in Cleveland are speculating about a possible NFL players' strike due to concern over Coronavirus safety issues. In a weird way, it's actually refreshing to hear of a potential strike where money is not the issue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Dan Snyder is the Donald Sterling of the NFL. I can totally see him being forced to sell the team.

Dan Snyder -- at this time -- is not personally accused of anything -- unlike Sterling who used those words himself.    Unlike Richardson formerly of the Panthers who was the harasser in his organization.    If all the OTHER stuff Snyder has done has not forced a sale of the team, this won't either.

• Love 2

Antonio Brown tweeted that he is done with football, maybe? I think this one will stick, because I'm not sure any team wants him.

Speaking as a Steelers fan, there is no doubt he wore out his welcome. But it really is unfortunate because he was a truly great receiver, no doubt future HOFer. The last game he played for Pittsburgh, he caught 14 balls for 185 yards and two TDs. He played that game for the Pats, and then it was all over.

• Love 3
On 7/13/2020 at 10:28 PM, xaxat said:couple of weeks ago, one of the Pittsburgh sports radio stations had a debate/listener poll on the current Steeler uniforms verses their official throwbacks. ('Cause there is nothing to really talk about.)

Current jersey

ff_2998275_full.jpg&w=340

Throwback

ff_3036456_full.jpg&w=340

I had to look at these pictures A LOT to notice the difference, and as much as I don’t really care about the Steelers, that bottom jersey is way better.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I had to look at these pictures A LOT to notice the difference, and as much as I don’t really care about the Steelers, that bottom jersey is way better.

That would be the correct answer. 😀

The jerseys of the seventies dynasty used the same block numbers.

• LOL 3
(edited)

NFLPA tells players there will be no preseason games in 2020

The NFL Players Association on Tuesday told its players there will be zero preseason games in 2020, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Tom Pelissero and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Union leadership shared this information with its players during a conference call one day after the league proposed a one-game preseason slate to the union, then followed that up later Monday with an adjusted offer that included zero preseason games. The NFL and NFLPA previously had been split on a preseason slate, with the league sticking to a desire to play half of a typical four-game preseason schedule before acquiescing this week.

The NFLPA also told its membership it is still pushing for a longer ramp-up period for players to physically acclimate to the training-camp demands of professional football, and it expects rosters to stand at 80 players per team. The NFL has not yet signed off on an 80-man roster for training camp, per Pelissero, and though there was a discussion on giving teams an option to divide the roster (i.e., 80 active and 10 on standby), the union told players it wanted all teams to follow one rule.

Edited by Moose135
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

So Woody Johnson sounds like a pig, when do the Jets get a new owner?

Can I echo the sentiment a few posts above from the Giants fan who fervently wishes for Dan Snyder to retain ownership of the Redskins forever? </Patriots Fan>

• Love 3