Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 9/7/2020 at 8:10 AM, merylinkid said:

They signed him to the practice squad.   Teams are stashing a lot of experienced players on the practice squad this year because of Covid.   That way they have someone who knows the playbook well who can step in if someone tests positive on Friday before a game.   If it gets close to the end of the season and things have shaken out okay safety wise, look to a lot of those players being put on the active rosters.

Right. This year practice squads are 16 players, which I think is 6 more than normal, AND you are allowed to keep veterans on the practice squad.

They'll be doing things like making sure they've got somebody who can long-snap, possibly someone who could fill in for the kicker/punter. They'll need to fill up the practice squad with all of the contingency plan players they can, should somebody's Saturday COVID test turn up positive when they get the results back before the game.

Also, related to the travel topic, the teams will fly the entire active 53 man roster AND the entire 16 man practice squad to away games. All 69 players, coaches, trainers, staff will get on a chartered flight, go to a hotel where they will almost certainly be NOT allowed to go out on the town. They'll take a bus the game, play the game, and then a bus back to the charter.  The league has (as you might expect) has a lot of rules in place and have discussed all sorts of things. For example, teams will be allowed to send an advanced scout to games. That means that the Cowboys and the Ravens can send a scout to watch the Giants/Steelers game. But there will be rules about how many scouts and how they are allowed to be in contact with anybody.

• Useful 2

Is anyone watching Hard Knocks this season? Just wondered if it was worth watching.

I hope they don't play canned cheering during the games like they are doing for US Open tennis. They have a catalog of crowd cheers they play after every freaking point. After a while I'm like, of they are using that clip again. It's absurd. Like, we can see the stadium is empty, it's okay for it to be quiet, we get it. I was actually looking forward to being able to hear more talk/sounds from the field during play. 

• Love 1

I like piped-in crowd noise at Yankee Stadium because it feel unobtrusive to me.  Also they do the strikeout whistle which is wonderful.

The other teams crowd noise?  Is obnoxious.  And I am scared for football season because whateverthehell FOX did was atrocious.

I am not excited to watch the two teams tonight, but I am SUPER excited for football.  Something normalish is just what I need.

• Love 2

Ok so it’s not a secret that Skip Bayless sucks as a sportsperson and a human, but he just keeps trying to find the bottom, and breaking right through.

As always, I wish Dak Prescott played for literally any other team, because he is absolutely someone I could root for.

• Love 10
On 9/8/2020 at 6:38 AM, mojoween said:

They keep hyping the opener as “Tune in for Patrick Mahomes vs. DeShaun Watson!” and didn’t we JUST see this?  We know how the movie ends.

Though we might not know how it begins!

The NFL typically has the champion host a team that it beat in the postseason round (several times in the same place) the year before.  It's rather amazing how the schedule works out that way more often than not

Colin Kaepernick does not have a job in the NFL.  How dare they use him in their “Lift Ev’ry Voice” video to show how they are NOW respectful of what he was kneeling for.  HOW DARE THEY.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 17

The NFL's PR firm just earned every dime the league pays them because they just managed to co-opt the hell out of the meaning of Kaep's original protest. Unity and equality, that's what this is all about! (Collinsworth was literally like "More unity and equality. Now let's play some football!")

Not only did the NBA, WNBA and every other professional league in the US address the specific issues at hand, so did international leagues like F1 and the Premier League.

I'm disappointed that the players allowed the league (no doubt led by Jerry Jones) to wallpaper what this summer has been about.

• Love 6

I turned the TV before kickoff (fine, I was watching Big Brother, shut up) so only saw the Moment of Unity on Twitter.  Am I misinterpreting the fans in the stadium booing the entire way through the moment of silence?

I hope the cancel culture catches on to Skip Bayless and he's soon just a distant memory. Dak Prescott lost his brother to suicide just a few months ago and now he's opening up about something that is not widely talked about or acknowledged in the NFL. That's pretty brave to me. Skip can shut the hell up.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I hope the cancel culture catches on to Skip Bayless and he's soon just a distant memory. Dak Prescott lost his brother to suicide just a few months ago and now he's opening up about something that is not widely talked about or acknowledged in the NFL. That's pretty brave to me. Skip can shut the hell up.

Skip Bayless acting like an asshole? No....

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Am I the only one who was offended by millionaires Al and Cris repeatedly harping on how wealthy Patrick Mahomes and other stars are?  I never like it under normal circumstances, but when you’re in a national economic crisis with tens of millions out of work and millions more underpaid, giggling about how a 24 year old kid will be pulling in half a billion dollars seems particularly insensitive, even for those two.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Johann said:

I'm all about the Skip Bayless dislike.  What did he do this time?

Went on an ignorant, shaming rant about Dak Prescott speaking about dealing with depression, saying things like a QB showing “weakness” is inappropriate because it "can affect your team’s ability to believe in you".  If you search Skip Bayless Dak Prescott, you'll be inundated with results, thankfully all reading Bayless for filth.

• Love 15
On 1/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, Lamb18 said:

Maybe he hasn't, but I remember Pat Mahomes pitching for the Twins. I watched and listened to those games.

You still think Mahomes gives a shit about MPLS?? 🤣🤣🤣.  He’s now invested in the Royals and in our community here.  🤘🏼

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I turned the TV before kickoff (fine, I was watching Big Brother, shut up) so only saw the Moment of Unity on Twitter.  Am I misinterpreting the fans in the stadium booing the entire way through the moment of silence?

Very classy, Chiefs fans.

• Love 6

Maybe its not all fans, but the the fans who were willing to be in a large crowd right now were willing to boo.    Even if you don't agree, you stay respectful during a moment of silence.   It's less than a minute.  

We've lost the Collinsworth slide for the duration.    Can't slide in and maintain 6 feet distance.

But awesome game.   Mahomes is still great.   Bill O'brien still sucks.   I mean you have an awesome team and you can barely find the end zone.  

• Love 7
6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Am I the only one who was offended by millionaires Al and Cris repeatedly harping on how wealthy Patrick Mahomes and other stars are?  I never like it under normal circumstances, but when you’re in a national economic crisis with tens of millions out of work and millions more underpaid, giggling about how a 24 year old kid will be pulling in half a billion dollars seems particularly insensitive, even for those two.  

I didn't have a problem with it.  I think Al & Cris are very much aware that so many people are struggling, from loss of income to loss of necessities, and from a loss of assets to a loss of life.  Maybe not ranting about it over and over again would have been respectful during this period, but I was okay with it.  Pat Mahomes got paid, and they have a job to do.  It's a pattern to acknowledge that in addition to the whole picture.

Al & Cris have done that and similar stuff over the years.  Yes where in a pandemic, but I figured they needed to go about their lives.  It's business as usual.  That's just me; I was okay with it under normal circumstances, probably due to the fact that I'm more concerned with my own wealth than that of the stars.

Speaking of "The Best Team" I think they did quarantine well enough to be less than 6 feet apart.  I probably would've still followed proper protocols, though given every location, they're not all the same

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Maybe its not all fans, but the the fans who were willing to be in a large crowd right now were willing to boo.    Even if you don't agree, you stay respectful during a moment of silence.   It's less than a minute.  

We've lost the Collinsworth slide for the duration.    Can't slide in and maintain 6 feet distance.

But awesome game.   Mahomes is still great.   Bill O'brien still sucks.   I mean you have an awesome team and you can barely find the end zone.  

But it’s still not an accurate or fair portrayal of our city and our citizens.  And no one else’s fan base will get judged on this because there are no fans at any other games this weekend.  I am proud to live here and I am beyond content to raise my child here.  Don’t shame an entire city / metro area on some ignorant assholes who got a moment on TV ( and were probably enhanced due to mikes and whatnot).   Don’t call us all classless assholes who need to fuck off.  Because there’s plenty of good here.  ✌🏼

Chiefs fans at the game booing their own players and booing at all during a moment of unity was tacky as hell. I felt bad for the players and coaches who took part and came up with that only to be disrespected by their own fans.

• Love 9

Well the Chiefs picked up right where they left off.  And the offense might be even better with Clyde Edwards-Healire at running back.  From the first quarter on they just dominated that game.  Houston stopped them on the opening drive, thanks to two dropped balls by the chiefs, and then basically didn't again until late in the second half.  The WR dropped a TD to stop one drive, that's on the Chiefs, he should have caught that and had two stops on the corner he beat before the drop. 

As a Colts fans glad the Texans lost.  they might start out 0-4 or 0-5.  Their schedule is ridiculous the first half.  The colts schedule is easy to start and hard to the second half of the season

11 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I wasn't offended.  There is no way they can't bring it up.  The Mahommes and Watson contracts were some of the biggest signings during the preseason. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

There is no way they can't bring it up.  The Mahommes and Watson contracts were some of the biggest signings during the preseason. 

For me, there's bringing it up in the context of sports news, and then there's harping on it, going back to it repeatedly, and chuckling about it.  Like when they laughed about the teammates not using the word "rich" to describe Pat Mahomes. 

YMMV.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2020 at 9:06 PM, emma675 said:

Agreed. It isn't widely talked about overall and when it is depression and suicide are so misunderstood. I've had people just tell me to tell my kid to be happy and get him active and he won't be depressed. This isolation has taken a huge toll on his mental health and people don't understand that the quarantine absolutely puts his life at risk. He's 12 and has been hospitalized 4 times for severe depression, self harm, suicidal ideation and a suicide attempt. 

He's in a really good place right now but I can't say the same for me. I live in constant fear for him.

Back to the subject at hand, Bayless is an asshole.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:39 AM, Haleth said:

Dr Spaceman, I still can't wrap my head around rooting for Phil Rivers.  That's 2020 for ya.  Nothing feels right.

I never had any strong hatred or dislike for Rivers.  Not a fan before he came to the Colts  but  didn't hate him. 

Its the same as my view of his legacy.  He is not quite a HOF QB in my mind.  I don't think he is bad or chokes in the playoffs, you win and lose as a team in the playoffs.  Also don't think he is a HOFer though, which some say is supported by his career numbers.  Outside of a few years in his career he has never been even a top five QB in the league. 

Will be curious to see how he can do.  I don't expect him to carry the team like Manning/Luck did for many years.  He has to be good, rely on the running game, be accurate, not make mistakes.  If he does that, Colts will be in and/or win almost every game.

• Love 1

My NFL vacation ends today. Normally, it would of end after Labor Day. But, I decided to stretch it out for several more days. 

Cowboys - Rams will be an interesting game for me tonight because neither of them are rootable. The Cowboys are their usual scummy selves. The Rams suck, Jared Goff sucks, & Sean McVay is not as smart as he thinks he is. 

Does any knows if the Cowboys & Buccaneers meet each other this season. That would be a definite vomit-inducing game for me. Its bad enough that we're get Brady vs Rodgers this season.

Edited by Magog
2 hours ago, Magog said:

My NFL vacation ends today.

Kinda says something about my level of interest that I didn't remember there were games today until I saw mention of them online about fifteen minutes ago.  And hurriedly had to go log into my Sunday Ticket account.

Remember when the controversy about the "Redskins" name a number of years ago led many announcers to say they'd stop using the word?  Which lasted about a nanosecond?  Can't wait to see how Kevin and Moose handle covering an entire game without reference to a team nickname.

I’m still sad Washington Team Football didn’t catch on.

I’ve been watching football for 34 years and I’m never going to like home teams in white jerseys.  It’s not hot out Buffalo.  Why are you not wearing blue?

Speaking of WTF, the Yankees are playing an important game, and here I am, watching of all things the Bills and the Jets.

Although, if FOX in Syracuse had broadcast New Orleans/Tampa instead of Philly/Washington, I would be watching that instead.

19 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’ve been watching football for 34 years and I’m never going to like home teams in white jerseys.  It’s not hot out Buffalo.  Why are you not wearing blue?

IIRC, like almost every sacrilege in the league, wearing white at home started with the Cowbungs.

OTOH, does "home" have any meaning this season?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Buffalo looks legit. I know it's against the Jets, but still.

I will shout from the rooftops on my deathbed, right after cursing Ben McAdoo, that picking Barkley over Darnold WAS THE RIGHT DECISION.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’ve been watching football for 34 years and I’m never going to like home teams in white jerseys.

Is that a thing this season? I hadn't heard that. I'm watching the Panthers/Raiders game here in Charlotte, and I saw the Panthers in white, and was wondering why.

By the way - this is the first road trip by the Las Vegas Raiders. They flew in Friday night in this Hawaiian Airlines A330.  Hawaiian has flown NFL charters for a number of years - they flew the Seahawks for several seasons, including last year when they came to Charlotte as well.

JM_2020_09_12_N370HA_002-L.jpg

• Love 5