Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Joe Buck on Bruce Arians:  "Wearing a mask and wrap around glasses for as much protection as possible."  As the mask is hanging all the way off the nose. 

The Saints are one of those teams that will really, really miss that home field crowd noise advantage.  And I find the piped in noise almost as distracting as it is with NHL games. 

• Love 3

Every time I think it sucks to be a Bills fan, I look at another lead the Lions have squandered and say “never mind.” That interception was so stupid, and then the drop in the end zone. Brutal, Lions fans.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

You guuuuuys.  I am rooting for Cam Newton.  And you know that means the corollary to that is...I am rooting for the Patriots.  I hate myself.

Welcome aboard! I'll send you the Spygate/Deflategate refutation talking point laminated sheet and the 3 Games to Glory DVDs.

• LOL 5
17 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Welcome aboard! I'll send you the Spygate/Deflategate refutation talking point laminated sheet and the 3 Games to Glory DVDs.

Ok.  Ok ok ok.  I will not be retroactively rooting for the Pats so you stop right there.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, twoods said:

Every time I think it sucks to be a Bills fan, I look at another lead the Lions have squandered and say “never mind.” That interception was so stupid, and then the drop in the end zone. Brutal, Lions fans.

On the opposite side, Trubisky saved his job. I don't know if that's good or bad for Bears fans.

ETA: Thank you, Randy Bullock (Hope he's OK). If there was a game I didn't need to go to OT, it was Chargers-Bengals. BTW, welcome to the Bengals, Joe Burrow. This kind of thing happens all the time.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • LOL 6

I still think Los Angeles Clippers when I see LAC.

I now fully believe Tom Brady is old.  When Troy was talking about the deficit, he said it was going to be too much for the Bucs to overcome.  Not “when you have Brady you always have a chance”. 

Ohhhhhh I just saw the Chargers unis.  Those are...bad.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Does anyone know what the rules are for masks on the sidelines? It seemed to be a crap shoot at every game I watched. Some coaches had them on, some didn't; some inactive players had them on, some didn't; most of the training staffs seemed to be wearing them. It didn't seem to be as unorganized as MLB's first few weeks but it didn't seem to be all that clear cut either.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

You guuuuuys.  I am rooting for Cam Newton.  And you know that means the corollary to that is...I am rooting for the Patriots.  I hate myself.

Yea- I have family in New England and our thing is that I hate the Patriots and they give me a hard time about it. As a life long Panthers fan it gives me an ulcer just to even contemplate giving the Patriots an ounce of my attention because Cam is on the team. I’ve also never had an irrational hatred of Cam like many other Panthers fans have. I wish nothing but the best for him it just sucks it has to be with the Pats.

• Love 6

Yes it’s beautiful, but 4 billion dollar beautiful? That is an obscene price for a stadium. I am enjoying looking at it (and Sean McVay) at the same time.

No player will make me root for the Pats. Ever.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yes it’s beautiful, but 4 billion dollar beautiful? That is an obscene price for a stadium. I am enjoying looking at it (and Sean McVay) at the same time.

The best thing about it is that owner Stan Kroenke paid for it, not the taxpayers. So if he wants gold plated toilets, more power to him.

ETA, watch out good people of Texas. Now that Jerry has seen Sofi, don't be surprised if he comes back asking for a billion dollars to upgrade his stadium.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm not a fan of the piped in crowd noise. It's SO loud. I am a fan of Brady throwing it away over and over and continuing his whiny little boy act with the refs.

At least in the Packers/Vikings game they didn't have that horn blowing every other minute.  One of the local writers tweeted that when the cart came out after one of the Pack's offensive lineman suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury, they turned off the crowd noise and he said you could have heard a pin drop in the stadium.  A friend texted me during the game asking why the coach with the play sheet was using it to cover his mouth as he called the play, since he had a mask on and his lips couldn't be read!  I said perhaps to muffle the sound?  More likely it was habit.  

Skip Bayless is an asshole.  As a Packers fan, I know that Bayless despises Aaron Rodgers and takes every opportunity to run him down, even when he plays well, leading the Pack to a win.  As an example, several years ago the Packers were playing at the Giants, the Packers got the ball on their 20 with just under a minute to go and the game tied.  Rodgers efficiently completes a series of passes that gets them to about the Giants' 20, calls time out with seconds remaining, Crosby kicks a field goal and the Pack wins.  Bayless said a "good" quarterback would have gotten the ball in the end zone.  But what he said about Dak Prescott is despicable.  I'd like to do my best Joseph Welch impression and ask him, "Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?  Have you left no sense of decency?"  Sadly, we all know the answer is no.  

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, xaxat said:

ETA, watch out good people of Texas. Now that Jerry has seen Sofi, don't be surprised if he comes back asking for a billion dollars to upgrade his stadium.

From what they were saying during the game, Skeletor was instrumental in getting this built, so I'm sure he's been planning for his own new palace for a while now.

I wouldnt say I cheer for the pats now but I want them to win more than tampa juSt because I've always believed BB has more to do with their success than brady. 

And apparently the 11-5 season they had before when he was injured isn't enough to convince so e people of that.  

Stat they just showed on SNF, no coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. I've never thought about it before but pretty amazing.

A few have won a SB and then lost one with another team but never two wins.  

Holmgreen came the closest, the awful calls in SB XL helped pitt beat seattle. 

• Love 1

I'm sure the Giants will ruin it for me tomorrow night, as they do, but so far I am loving opening weekend.  Rams and Seahawks win, and Cowboys and Bucs (sorry, Tampa Bay, never cared one way or the other about you, but now you have Brady, and must die) lose.  I just wish the Patriots had lost, too (like @twoods, I cannot fathom a player that could ever make me root for them; I can't even root for them when I need their opponent to lose in order to benefit one of my teams - then, I can only bring myself not to actively root against them).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/10/2020 at 9:06 PM, emma675 said:

I hope the cancel culture catches on to Skip Bayless and he's soon just a distant memory. Dak Prescott lost his brother to suicide just a few months ago and now he's opening up about something that is not widely talked about or acknowledged in the NFL. That's pretty brave to me. Skip can shut the hell up.

ITA. Idiots like Bayless are the reason why cancel culture exists in the first place. Dak Prescott showed the kind of honesty and courage that Bayless can't understand, so he dumps all over it, like the piece of shit he is. Part of being a great leader is leading by example and that's what Prescott did. As someone who has relatives who've struggled with mental health issues, the stigma is tough enough to deal with without the Baylesses of the world making things even worse.

By admitting his problems and getting help, Prescott has not only proven himself to be more of a man in a day than Bayless ever has, he's helped more people than Bayless ever will.

I would recommend that Bayless get suspended without pay for a month, but since he's apparently doubled down, then he should be suspended for two months without pay, if not fired altogether.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9

Weirdest thing I heard yesterday -- for the first time in 22 years, there is no Manning playing.   Wow.    

Hubby was off yesterday so watched the games with me.   He saw the Bucs/Saints game and said "Yeah Tom, you don't have Belichek to save you anymore."   Arians is a good coach.   He just needs to find a qb who can really take him all the way.   Carson Palmer aaaaaaalmost did it.   But Brady just looked OLD.  

The Lions lost to TRUBISKY.   Geez.    All because of a dropped pass in the end zone.

New coach, same result for the Cowboys -- so close and yet so far.   But some of those calls against the Cowboys were bullshit.   Right before the half, it took 3 times into the end zone before the Refs finally said "yeah, okay fine, he made it."   THen that stupid OPI with mere seconds left.   

I seriously worry about Ron Rivera.   If he needed an IV at half time, maybe he should step back from coaching and focus on his cancer treatment.  

• Love 3

OTOH, does "home" have any meaning this season?

It means not having to travel, which should count for something.   It's basketball where it's all irrelevant.

And it looks like nothing has really changed. Tampa's QB throws some picks, the Lions suffer a crushing defeat, etc.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

It means not having to travel, which should count for something.   It's basketball where it's all irrelevant.

And it looks like nothing has really changed. Tampa's QB throws some picks, the Lions suffer a crushing defeat, etc.

And the Browns continue to suck while the Pats continue to win no matter what the situations are.

Based on yesterday, looks like Cleveland is in mid-season form as it relates to their efforts to acquire Trevor Lawrence.  Meanwhile, if New England somehow gets the Clemson star, they'll do so in a different way

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

New coach, same result for the Cowboys -- so close and yet so far.   But some of those calls against the Cowboys were bullshit.   Right before the half, it took 3 times into the end zone before the Refs finally said "yeah, okay fine, he made it."   THen that stupid OPI with mere seconds left.   

How about not kicking the field goal instead of going for it on 4th down trailing 20-17 with lots of time left (around 11:45) in the game? 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, emma675 said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for masks on the sidelines? It seemed to be a crap shoot at every game I watched. Some coaches had them on, some didn't; some inactive players had them on, some didn't; most of the training staffs seemed to be wearing them. It didn't seem to be as unorganized as MLB's first few weeks but it didn't seem to be all that clear cut either.

The league protocol, updated shortly before the season began, requires all individuals with bench area access -- except for players -- to wear masks at all times. Coaches are allowed the option of a mask, neck gaiter and/or face shield.

NFL threatens discipline for coaches not wearing masks on sidelines

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I seriously worry about Ron Rivera.   If he needed an IV at half time, maybe he should step back from coaching and focus on his cancer treatment.  

And chemo messes with your immune system. 

I can't believe I'm admitting this, but the name "Washington Football Team" is growing on me. I like the retro vibe of the unis with the numbered helmets. 

As a Pats fan, I was happy to see Cam put on a decent performance. They need to step up their game for Seattle, but it's nice they got a win to take the Cam haters down a notch. 

Which leads me to the other side of the coin.....Tom Brady. Yikes, that was painful. I know there was no preseason and they were going up against a very strong Saints team, but man, the Bucs are sloppy and undisciplined. It's a complete 180 from New England and Tom looked like he was contemplating retirement by the third quarter. I also think he needs to get off that ridiculous diet his trainer has him on. I thought he looked frail and brittle, especially in comparison to Brees, who's not much younger. 

Panther fan. Teddy Bridgewater and the offense were fine, but the defense was as bad as expected. Will be a long season.

Can't root for the Pats, so I hope Cam plays well enough to get them 1 game short of the playoffs, and land a big contract somewhere else.  I really wanted to see him with the Chargers or Bears.

• Love 2

File under "things that make me feel old".

After a fifteen year stint in KC, punter Dustin Colquitt is now with the Steelers.

I remember watching his dad back when he had the same job in Pittsburgh.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

File under "things that make me feel old".

After a fifteen year stint in KC, punter Dustin Colquitt is now with the Steelers.

I remember watching his dad back when he had the same job in Pittsburgh.

I remember Craig well. He was an excellent punter.

16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why can’t the Giants ever let me enjoy myself for more than four minutes at a time?

It's still fairly early.  Pittsburgh has an annual tradition of losing to teams it has no business of losing to

Well, this Giants game has been about as frustrating as I figured it would be.

It's going to take me some time (and, ya know, some offensive success) before I get used to seeing Jason Garrett on my sideline.

@mojoween, I don't know if you watch Jeopardy!, but I know you'll relate regardless -- before answering this clue in a category about benched sports players, I yelled, "Fuck you, McAdoo!":

Eli Manning started 232 of 233 regular season games at QB for this team but in 2019, couldn't keep up with the (Daniel) Jones

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Someone earlier today (on Good Morning Football?) said their new team name should be The Washington First Place Team.

For at least two weeks, anyway.

Also thought it was funny during the  Browns/Ravens game, after a bunch of Brown's penalties, when one announcer asked the other what his 3rd and 41 go-to play was.

I'm easily amused.