Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I also think the coaching staff doesn't over think like most coaches do. It's not really that complex of a game as most make it out to be.

Belichek exploited the rule about consecutive delay of game penalties by inserting a false start penalty in between the Pats TWO DELIBERATE delay of game penalties on a 3rd down solely to take time off the clock  -- and mess with field position for the punt.   He overthinks to the Nth degree.  The difference is he doesn't overthink so much he doesn't act.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, meowmommy said:

You play in a quagmire.

Reminds me of one of my favorite bad weather games.

It was twenty seconds away from going into overtime 0-0.

ETA I watched Saints/Bears Sunday and they showed an aerial shot of the city covered by a low cloud layer where only the tallest skyscrapers were visible. That reminded me of another great weather game. The Fog Bowl.

I still remember I sideline shot of a player coming out of the fog, running past the camera and disappearing into the fog.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Belichek exploited the rule about consecutive delay of game penalties by inserting a false start penalty in between the Pats TWO DELIBERATE delay of game penalties on a 3rd down solely to take time off the clock  -- and mess with field position for the punt.   He overthinks to the Nth degree.  The difference is he doesn't overthink so much he doesn't act.

I would call that calculating. Over thinking is a draw play on 4th down. Or going for 2 in a tight game early so you have to chase points because "that's what the chart says." 

Goal to go and the game on the line and you try to do something cutesy instead of just putting the ball in your best player's hands. 

That's why I think the superbowl was actually good. The Rams didn't overthink. 

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:
8 hours ago, Jx223 said:

It looks like the Patriots have gotten even more good fortunate, because according to Ian Rapoport on Twitter, they have traded a second round pick to the Falcons for Mohamed Sanu. I had read that the Falcons may be looking to upload players before the trade deadline. I wonder if they may end up trading anyone else before then. 

The Falcons' ownership needs to clean out old management and bring on new management and let new management decide who to keep and who to let go.

That's what those wretched losers get for choking up that 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl a few yrs ago. The Falcons deserved even more misery because of that. They're just like the Cowboys & Patriots in that I can never ever root for them. I wish that the Falcons can go 0-16.

Speaking of 0-16, is there any chance of 2 teams getting to 0-16? The Dolphins & Bungles haven't won a game yet & hopefully that will continue. We already have 2 teams that went 0-16 & I can certainly use another one reaching the peak of NFL futility. 

34 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I would call that calculating. Over thinking is a draw play on 4th down. Or going for 2 in a tight game early so you have to chase points because "that's what the chart says." 

Goal to go and the game on the line and you try to do something cutesy instead of just putting the ball in your best player's hands. 

That's why I think the superbowl was actually good. The Rams didn't overthink. 

The Rams couldn't think period throughout that game. That Super Bowl absolutely sucked on so many levels & the Rams pure incompetence was one of the reasons. 

8 hours ago, Magog said:

The Rams couldn't think period throughout that game. That Super Bowl absolutely sucked on so many levels & the Rams pure incompetence was one of the reasons. 

Wade Phillips had Tom Brady truly befuddled with his brilliantly diverse and disguised coverage, handling the Pats offense better than any team the entire season, so the Rams defense was hardly incompetent.  The Patriots came in averaging 27 points a game in the regular season and 39 in the playoffs, but the Rams held them to only 13.  

I blamed my first migraine in quite some time on the Rams offense, and their run defense petered out in the 4th quarter, but looking at the game as a whole, the defense was quite impressive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
On 10/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, mojoween said:

That dead punt makes me laugh every time.

The newspaper said that a tornado touched down at Love Field Airport in Dallas Sunday night.  Is that near the stadium?  

No, that’s about 20 miles away.

Oh thanks!  I was just wondering if they were in danger of a tornado warning evacuation at 8 p.m. during a nationally televised football game.  I mean I know football is immaterial at that point, but with that many people I can only imagine the chaos.

The stadium was never in danger, but I wonder too when I found out about the warning.

However, one Dallas station refused to interrupt the game with the warning to seek shelter.   They have been roundly criticized for it.

I finally finished re-watching the Raiders/Packers game.  I had to watch it again after all the articles talking about how it might have been Rodgers' best game ever.  I'm a diehard Pack fan, love Rodgers, and my reaction was really?  He was very, very good, but he's had lots of similar games.  Was it just the passer rating?  Do people put that much stock into that?  I think the best game I've ever seen him play was the divisional playoff game at Atlanta in the Super Bowl season of 2010.  He threw for three TDs and ran one in, didn't throw a pick, evaded pressure multiple times, threw only five incomplete passes.  The Packers didn't punt once.  I've been watching the Packers for almost five decades and it was the best game I'd ever seen a Packer QB play.  But his passer rating was "only" 136.8 so I guess it cannot equal Sunday's game! 

Mahomes participated in practice today in a limited fashion - will he play Sunday night?  Or is it just the Chiefs trying to give the Packers something to think about?

On 10/22/2019 at 3:47 PM, Magog said:

Speaking of 0-16, is there any chance of 2 teams getting to 0-16? The Dolphins & Bungles haven't won a game yet & hopefully that will continue.

The Dolphins and the Bengals play each other in the second to last game of the season, so one team may end up 0-16 and the other 1-15, or they both end up 0-15-1, but they can't both go 0-16. And they're the only remaining winless teams this season.

• Love 1

According to people like Adam Schefter on Twitter Michael Bennett has been traded by the Patriots to the Cowboys. He was traded for a 7th round pick that could turn into a 6th round pick in 2021.

There has already been some tension happening this month between the Patriots and Michael. He got into a disagreement with a coach and was suspended for one game for conduct detrimental to the team. 

Edited by Jx223
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Agreed, they are not tanking.  They just suck.

Yeeeeeahhhhhh...right after I posted that Haskins threw a terrible interception and it was all downhill from there.  But they didn’t let the Vikes tromp all over them which is more than other teams have done!

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yeeeeeahhhhhh...right after I posted that Haskins threw a terrible interception and it was all downhill from there.  But they didn’t let the Vikes tromp all over them which is more than other teams have done!

Yeah, they suck and I didn't even want to watch the game.  However, I have to admit that when I saw the 19-9 score on Sports Center I chuckled and said, "well, at least the beatdown wasn't that bad."  😂

Edited by Ohwell

Case Keenum was pretty good and they might have won except Case got a concussion and was out the second half. The backup quarterback, Haskins, was not good. 

Now Sunday night Kansas City has to rise to the occasion and beat Green Bay. And I'd like Cleveland to win.

Edited by Lamb18
On 10/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, Constantinople said:

The Dolphins and the Bengals play each other in the second to last game of the season, so one team may end up 0-16 and the other 1-15, or they both end up 0-15-1, but they can't both go 0-16. And they're the only remaining winless teams this season.

I didn't know that the Dolphins & Bungles play each other in week 16. That really makes me very sad. Now I have to hope that both teams are 0-14 when they meet. I need a reason to find that game remotely watchable. 

The Dallas Cowboys are off this week. Whatever shall we do to cope that the Cowboys are not on TV today?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Tony Romo is #1?  He is worse in the booth than the Browns are on the field!

Technically, Nantz/Romo is the lead announcing team for CBS, so they're supposed to cover the marquee games.

Now, I'm surprised that Cleveland isn't getting blown out after that start.

8 hours ago, Magog said:

The Dallas Cowboys are off this week. Whatever shall we do to cope that the Cowboys are not on TV today?

Huzzah!  No dumb Cowboys takes the sting out of the Giants losing.  Again.

But just for kicks and giggles...fuck Dallas to the moon.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

The team I follow plays tonight, so I was running errands and doing home chores early today, then turned on the TV to settle in for the prestige late afternoon game, and discover the only game being broadcast in my area is Browns/Patriots.  What the hell NFL? 

I might have watched Panthers/49ers, even though that's a blowout, only because the Packers play both those teams in coming weeks.  Instead I cleared out a couple hours of shows on my DVR.  Probably not what the NFL wants from it diehard fans.  

I'm sure NBC is gnashing their teeth, since the Mahomes/Rodgers matchup against Game 5 of the World Series is not going to happen.  It will be interesting to see what the ratings are.  The WS can't be clinched tonight so will football continue to be more popular?

I had thought that the 49ers would beat the Panthers but I didn't expect them to score over 50 points against them. They played incredibly well as a team today. 

I wish they played the Patriots in the regular season, so maybe they could hand them their first loss, lol. The Browns looked better against the Patriots than the Jets did, but the Patriots still beat them comfortably (and the multiple turnovers and penalties the Browns had including early on in the game hurt them. ) Freddie Kitches also continued to make bad decisions as a coach and that also hurt the Browns. 

I wonder which one of these undefeated teams loses first. The 49ers still have some games left they should definitely win like two games against the Cardinals and one against the Falcons. But they also face off against the Packers, Saints and Seahawks. Maybe one of the last three teams will give them their first loss. Regardless thought they have been doing a great job and are roaring at  7-0 right now.

I'm not sure who the Patriots may lose to. They have games against teams like the Ravens, and Chiefs, which I think could be interesting. 

Also, I was glad to see how Gardner Minshew and the Jags have a good game today. He was impressive and their defense did a really nice job today.

And Deshaun Watson threw a very cool looking TD in the fourth quarter of the Texans/Raiders games. He continues to make impressive plays and keep the Texans competitive in the AFC South. That division is definitely one of the most competitive divisions this year. Every team in it is currently .500 or better. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

I'm sure NBC is gnashing their teeth, since the Mahomes/Rodgers matchup against Game 5 of the World Series is not going to happen. 

They can thank Andy Reid in his infinite wisdom to have injured Mahomes have to sneak That One Time in week 7 because that was the Game Of The Season and he needed to completely leave everything on the field. I mean, the season was on the line. In Week 7.

I listened to the Patriots/Browns game today and the Patriots announcer called the Cleveland coach "Freddy Kittens." Now I'm listening to the Chiefs/Patriots game and the Chiefs announcers keep referring to a GB player as Honey Badger. Does anyone know who that is?

• LOL 1

According to Tom Pelissero from NFL Network the Bengals are going to bench Andy Dalton after the bye week. Rookie Ryan Finley will start then. It looks like it's a race to see who can get the top pick between the Bengals and the Dolphins. (Though, I did see another reporter write some very complimentary things about Ryan Finley,and his skill set. So maybe he will play well enough to give the Bengals some optimism for the future).

Also according to various reports the Redskins are looking to Trade Trent Williams and the Jets are actually looking to possibly trade Le'Veon Bell and also safety Jamal Adams.

One of the teams interested in getting Jamal Adams is the Cowboys. 

If Le'Veon is traded, I hope he goes to a good situation. Though, the Jets have been really struggling this year, he has tried playing hard and tried to pull them out of the rut they are in. Unfortunately, they have a lot of things going wrong with their organization right now, and he can't really thrive there. 

Edited by Jx223

Is anyone gonna beat the *patriots?   The Ravens this week seems to be the best hope.......if that doesn't happen,. they have Dallas at home coming up......there's the Chiefs maybe if Mahomes is back....but that's a home game too.   Buffalo might have the last shot at them ....I can't handle them going undefeated ....if the '72 Dolphins are to be topped.....please let it not be the *patriots......we don't need the record book scarred with ****asterisks*****.......

The Dolphins get the absolute last chance to defend the franchises honor when they visit the *patriots the final week of the season.    But that too is in Foxbourough......maybe *bellichick will rest the starters assuming they are 15-0 not wanting to get anyone hurt?   BAHAHAHAHA!......he'll turn things up and beat the hapless fish silly.  He's gonna put a stamp on this manufactured legacy.

But wouldn't it be some kind of poetic justice if it were *bradys former backup Jimmy G who should've assumed the starting job there who gets it done?

Edited by Sounder
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

According to Adam Schefter the Rams have sent Aqib Talib and a 5th rounder to Miami for a future round pick. 

What!? Miami is acquiring talent?

ETA Now I understand, Talib is on the IR and might not be healthy to play this season at all. (Wink, wink)

This is truly a Sam Hinkie move. When he was running the Sixers' tanking effort, in addition to using their high lottery picks to select players like Embiid and Simmons, he also made trades for second round picks. They probably weren't going to make the team, but his philosophy is that the more picks you get, the more likely you are to hit.

Edited by xaxat

Rivers has been commuting from San Diego to LA ever since Spanos took his football and went to LA.    He didn't want to move his NINE kids.    I can see him saying "This commute is NOT worth it if we aren't winning."   Not sure the status of his contract.

Well a ton of trade rumors did not happen.   But there is a hell of a lot of fallout.   Jamal Adams is PISSED that the Jets were looking to trade him after he sat down with the GM and said he was committed to the Jets.   But wanna bet when it comes contract time they remind him of this and ask him to take less money?   I hope he looks them straight in the eye and says "Show me the money."

Dallas is not going to be the Pats in Foxboro.   Dallas will win the division but that is it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Sounder said:

Is anyone gonna beat the *patriots?   The Ravens this week seems to be the best hope.......if that doesn't happen,. they have Dallas at home coming up......there's the Chiefs maybe if Mahomes is back....but that's a home game too.   Buffalo might have the last shot at them ....I can't handle them going undefeated ....if the '72 Dolphins are to be topped.....please let it not be the *patriots......we don't need the record book scarred with ****asterisks*****.......

The Dolphins get the absolute last chance to defend the franchises honor when they visit the *patriots the final week of the season.    But that too is in Foxbourough......maybe *bellichick will rest the starters assuming they are 15-0 not wanting to get anyone hurt?   BAHAHAHAHA!......he'll turn things up and beat the hapless fish silly.  He's gonna put a stamp on this manufactured legacy.

But wouldn't it be some kind of poetic justice if it were *bradys former backup Jimmy G who should've assumed the starting job there who gets it done?

If the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl at 18-0 and their opponent happens to be the Giants (LOL), I think the Giants should start Eli and hope he can get into the Patriots' heads again to spoil the undefeated season. Again. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, topanga said:

If the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl at 18-0 and their opponent happens to be the Giants (LOL), I think the Giants should start Eli and hope he can get into the Patriots' heads again to spoil the undefeated season. Again. 

Eli-Wan is our only hope.

giphy.gif

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I love Baker Mayfield’s response to his whatever with the reporter.  Normally people would be like “if I offended anyone I am very sorry” but nope, not our Baker!  His response was “if I offend someone...too bad.”

It’s refreshing, really.  I love having a non-robot infiltrating NFL locker rooms.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, topanga said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12350931

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love Baker Mayfield’s response to his whatever with the reporter.  Normally people would be like “if I offended anyone I am very sorry” but nope, not our Baker!  His response was “if I offend someone...too bad.”

It’s refreshing, really.  I love having a non-robot infiltrating NFL locker rooms.

Yeah, no.  He's every straight white fratty douchebag asshole stereotype rolled into one pile of extremely privileged shit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, topanga said:

Oh, I adore this.  There is zero chance of it happening, of course, but if it did (and the Giants beat them, yet again, as nature intended), it would be among the greatest things to happen in my life, and I'd babble about it from my death bed.

• Love 7

Will that also be while you are thrusting a fist to the sky lamenting “why, Ben McAdoo, WHYYYYYY?”

When I heard that San Fran was one of the teams playing on Halloween, I was wondering if some leftover Raiders fans from the Black Hole would be infiltrating Candlestick in costume, and then I realized that the 49ers haven’t played at Candlestick in years.  And they don’t even play in the same suburb.

Aaaaannnnnnd the game is in Arizona.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, I adore this.  There is zero chance of it happening, of course, but if it did (and the Giants beat them, yet again, as nature intended), it would be among the greatest things to happen in my life, and I'd babble about it from my death bed.

It's like the elderly Cubs fans who finally saw them win a World Series: "I can die now." 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Will that also be while you are thrusting a fist to the sky lamenting “why, Ben McAdoo, WHYYYYYY?”

Gods, that fucker.  I hate to waste some of my last energy on him, but I am never.letting.that.go so, yeah.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3