Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On one hand, I don't like the Patriots and root against them every game. On the other hand, I really appreciate the level of sustained excellence they have maintained during this run. 

When it ends, I'll miss it. And I'll be glad it's over. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Some of us in Northern California loathe and despise the Raiders.  :)

LOL...well yeah, that goes without saying.   

As I’m not either a 49er or Raider fan, it makes for  interesting conversations with friends and familes.

I would say that the 85 Chicago Bears, who IMO had  hands down the best and most dominating single season in the SB era was a team I so despised.  Hated their hubris in creating the SuperBowl Shuffle video during the season, hated  the singularly Jim McMahon QB Douchebag extraordinaire, and  Dikta (media whore coach) relegating the one player of there’s I did admire, Walter Payton,  to be the handmaiden for Refrigerator Perry in the SB didn’t endear the Bears to me any more.  Of course they crushed my PATS mercilessly.

THat should have been the start of their dynasty, but they read their own press clippings and essentially imploded after that (how they lost to the Redskins the next year is beyond me)  and never made another SB with that crew.   Hehhehe.

Still Has to be the most impressive playoff record ever.

Divison Game.  Versus Giants 21-0

NFC Game.  Versus Rams 24-0

SB Game.  Versus Pats 46-10.

3 Games, 91-10 PF versus PA.

Fuck.  Those games were even more lopsided watching them at the time. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

On the other hand, that season wouldn't have given us the great Squish the Fish game where the Pats went to Miami on Monday night and beat them for the first time on the road in forever. 

I have a bottle of champagne in my fridge, left over from NYE.  If anyone beats the Pats I will pop that thing to celebrate.  Not kidding.

(I have a feeling it will still be in my fridge next NYE.)

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

What Ditka did to Sweetness in the actual SB was criminal though.

I saw the 30 For 30 on that Bears team and yeah, that was one of the biggest dick moves in the history of football. What's even worse was how Ditka tried to be all fake-naive like "Payton? Nah, it never occurred to me to give him the ball on the goal line." What an asshole.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

Ooh it sounds like there is some discord in the Steelers locker room and is surprising because I thought Tomlin was a disciplinarian.

Apparently Bell is continuing with his temper tantrum about not wanting the franchise tag and last weekend he showed up late to both Saturday and Sunday walkthroughs and practices.  And other players also flout Tomlin’s rules about when to get to practice without any apparent discipline.

I am so here for the spotlight on other screwup teams.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ooh it sounds like there is some discord in the Steelers locker room and is surprising because I thought Tomlin was a disciplinarian.

Apparently Bell is continuing with his temper tantrum about not wanting the franchise tag and last weekend he showed up late to both Saturday and Sunday walkthroughs and practices.  And other players also flout Tomlin’s rules about when to get to practice without any apparent discipline.

I am so here for the spotlight on other screwup teams.

Tomlin is not controlling that team if stuff like that is happening and nothing -- that we know of - is being done.    Who knows what is being done that stay sin the locker room.   But if it is getting out that it happens, then the discipline needs to be leaked too.

I think Tomlin is past his coach by date.    Lack of discipline on the team, horrible clock management, horrible play calling.    It was just all there on display this year.   On the other hand, Ben has one year left, maybe.   Why bring in a new coach when you have to get a new QB soon anyway.   Let the new coach pick the next QB.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I think Tomlin is past his coach by date.   

This can't be said enough. I don't blame Bell for wanting to capitalize on the relatively short amount of time he's going to have in the League, but no matter how pissed off you are at management, you still have to do your job. I don't know if Tomlin tries to be too buddy-buddy with guys and they don't respect him or what, but it's clear he has no control of the locker room and that does nothing but create dissention. He needs to go. 

• Love 3

I agree that Tomlin needs to go in Pittsburgh, but I suspect that if you’re the Steelers, the question/problem is then what? Tomlin has been overrated for a long time, I agree, but he is still better than many coaches, and you’ve won with him. There would be a lot of egg on a lot of faces if a new coach comes in and is terrible.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I agree that Tomlin needs to go in Pittsburgh, but I suspect that if you’re the Steelers, the question/problem is then what? Tomlin has been overrated for a long time, I agree, but he is still better than many coaches, and you’ve won with him. There would be a lot of egg on a lot of faces if a new coach comes in and is terrible.

The Rooney family has a tendency to stick to their coaches. No matter what.  I think it would take some terrible rule-breaking for them to break away from Tomlin, not anything done on the field.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I agree. They will likely downgrade if they get a new coach. He needs to reign in those players because there doesn't seem to be much control in the locker room. 

On 1/18/2018 at 9:42 PM, ganesh said:

On the other hand, that season wouldn't have given us the great Squish the Fish game where the Pats went to Miami on Monday night and beat them for the first time on the road in forever. 

First time ever.  And those two games (the regular season you mentioned and the AFC Championship 4 weeks later) were the only two games they ever won in the Orange Bowl, as the Dolphins moved to Joe Robbie the following season.  I still have my Berry the Bears shirt, as well as a shirt from the prior Pats-Jags AFC Championship game, both in my "shirts I will probably never fit into again" collection.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:35 AM, BitterApple said:

I saw the 30 For 30 on that Bears team and yeah, that was one of the biggest dick moves in the history of football. What's even worse was how Ditka tried to be all fake-naive like "Payton? Nah, it never occurred to me to give him the ball on the goal line." What an asshole.

Was there something going on between the two of them (I didn't see the 30 for 30)?  I agree that it was heinous that the Fridge has a SB career touchdown and Payton doesn't.

• Love 1

Boomer and TJ are going to be on Primetime Sunday night which I actually am excited about but I don’t know when it’s supposed to be on.  Does it air directly after the end of the NFC Championship game?

Hell, at this point, if he's not going to continue with the Pats I'd be happy if he took over the RPI hockey team!  He can't do worse than, well, anyone who's been there since Mike Addesa.

Oh my god Tony constantly says “jagwire” and Jim occasionally says it and I swear I feel like I could fly to Foxboro on a cloud of my own indignation and slap them both.

Jim is also annoying because it feel like any time Jacksonville swipes away a ball from a New England receiver he says “no flags” like he feels there should be one every single time.

Goddammit.  Jacksonville failing to get the play off in time - coming out of a timeout - negating the third-down conversion was a huge mistake, and I knew the Patriots were going to wind up scoring.  Total momentum shift.

Nerve wracking enough checking out the score online- don't know how you guys are doing this. Like others have said, we have seen this script before and it's inevitable what's going to happen. 

I truly truly TRULY do not understand the media slobbering over Tony Romo.  To me, he sounds like Jim took his kid to work for Take Your Kid to Work Day.  Some may find that charming, I absolutely do not.

Also, when he calls out plays before they happen, it sounds more to me like someone trying to show off how much they know.

Yes, I understand that I am most likely suffering from Dallas Bias-itis, but I don’t care.

I'm in love with the forced fumble that just happened.  Too bad they couldn't turn it into points.

"Give New England credit - no timeout called there."

You mean the timeout you were yelling at them to call?  Shut. Up.

Edited by Bastet
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I truly truly TRULY do not understand the media slobbering over Tony Romo.  To me, he sounds like Jim took his kid to work for Take Your Kid to Work Day.  Some may find that charming, I absolutely do not.

Also, when he calls out plays before they happen, it sounds more to me like someone trying to show off how much they know.

Yes, I understand that I am most likely suffering from Dallas Bias-itis, but I don’t care.

Heh

http://dailysnark.com/guy-sitting-next-booh/

I am so with you. And it's not even because I can't stand the Cowboys, (Troy Aikman is one of my favorite booth guys) it's that he's super ANNOYING!

Why has Bortles become ineffective this half? 

Im still looking at the end of first half. They committed stupid penalties that gave NE the ball back. Then they committed stupid penalties that allowed NE to score. That changed the entire game. 

God fucking dammit.  The AFC needs to get its fucking shit together so they can have some goddamn balance in that shitass conference.

Watching Bill Belichick celebrate makes my dinner want to make a repeat appearance.

Fuck the Patriots.  Fuck Tom Brady specifically.

How fucking random would it be if Philly wins, so the SB is a repeat of the last time Timberlake was part of the halftime show?

Fuuuuuuuuuck the Patriots.

Edited by mojoween
Just now, magdalene said:

What can you say - they really are better under pressure than any other team.

So New England doesn’t get called for obvious holds on linebackers? Yeah, okay. 

But ultimately, Jacksonville gave NE this game. The Patriots didn’t really  win it. 

1 minute ago, basiltherat said:

aaaaand, once again, Evil is more powerful than Good.  And Tony Roma is definitely more annoying than even Bucky or Chucky.

Go, whoever from NFC, pleez pleeze pleez win the SB over the fcking Pats!

True dat. I will be rooting for who ever comes out of the NFC

• Love 1