Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, xaxat said:

James Brown lost a lot of weight in the off-season.

I thought he looked different; especially in the face. It was weird seeing Phil Simms in the studio.

Watched some of the Raiders/Titans game and Tony Romo was not that bad IMO.

Are the LA Rams that good or is Indianapolis that bad especially without Andrew Luck? If I were a Colts fan I'd be very worried.

5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I'm fine with Collinsworth, but wish a season-long bout of laryngitis of Terry Bradshaw. 

I can't watch the Fox pregame show and Bradshaw is the main reason why. He just grates. As soon as he starts talking I change the channel. However, I've always liked Howie Long.

After today's humiliation of the Texans by Jacksonville, I wonder if Bill O'Brien is going to lose his job. He can't make a decision about the quarterback he wants to use. It's been this way during all 4 of his years at Houston.

1 hour ago, pennben said:

Stray non-football observation, but a simple trumpet solo of the National Anthem (as in the Giants/Cowboys game) is just more lovely and moving than the musical machinations singers have begun doing to outdo each other since Whitney Houston's sterling performance at the Super Bowl all of those years ago.  

I too really enjoyed the trumpet solo.  And yes, most anthem singers try to outdo Whitney Houston, but fail to realize they don't have her pipes.  I always prefer a simply sung anthem.  One of my very favorite renditions was by Luther Vandross before Super Bowl XXI, Packers v. Patriots.  It was just beautiful.  

• Love 1

I am glad that the Cowboys won tonight. I thought their defense played well. I was happy to see Jaylon Smith makes plays. He seems like a nice young man. Dak started out a bit shaky but I am glad that things worked out for them. It seemed like quite a few players played shaky in a lot of these games today. Some of them like Dak and Cam Newton became more settled after a bit and were able to help their teams get wins. ( I was also glad that the Panthers won) Others were not able to overcome their shakiness and played poorly. Andy Dalton played very poorly and Carson Palmer didn't play extremely well either.  Tom Savage had a lot of trouble, but the Texans Oline didn't really help him much. There was some ugly sequences in the Texas/Jags game, that the Texans Oline was largely responsible for. 

I thought that the one of the worst games of the day was the Colts/Rams game. The Rams bulldozed the Colts. Maybe they will start Jacoby Brisset, who I think looked better than Scott Tolzien, until Andrew Luck is ready to play.  

The Bears/Falcons was one of the best games today. The Bears were competitive in that game and I thought they were fun to watch. Especially Tarik Cohen. He was really fun to watch and I hope he continues to play well.  I also thought that rookie DeShone Kizer did a nice job hanging in there as the Browns starter and trying to bring the Browns back into their game against the Steelers.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

That was an embarrassing performance by the Giants offense.  That would have ruined my opening weekend against any team, but against Dallas?!  Ugh, just the sight of Jerry Jones makes me angry.

The Raiders won, but Seattle lost, too.  Overall, I did not have a good football day.

• Love 4

Colts are atrocious and a mess, from the coaching on down.  And its not just Luck being out and the injuries, though missing your center, QB and #1 corner certainly hurts. 

But it starts with Pagano.  Should have been fired two years ago.  No idea how he is still the coach.  Consistently gets the team behind by double digits before they decide to do anything

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Tell me again why Los Angeles needs two teams?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJZSWMHUIAAjKgP.jpg:large

I know I was watching this game and it was awful......I thought at first it was just people getting there late, its 1 PM in LA.......but no, the whole game, less than half filled stands.  Granted it was not much of a game, but the home team won. 

The Bears/Falcons was one of the best games today. The Bears were competitive in that game and I thought they were fun to watch. Especially Tarik Cohen. He was really fun to watch and I hope he continues to play well.  I also thought that rookie DeShone Kizer did a nice job hanging in there as the Browns starter and trying to bring the Browns back into their game against the Steelers.

Two dropped passes that would have been or could have been TDs to win it for the Bears

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But it starts with Pagano.  Should have been fired two years ago.

That weird, hilarious point last year where they unexpectedly kept both Pagano and Grigson when everyone expected either one or the other to be fired. In truth, both should have been fired right then at the latest.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

That weird, hilarious point last year where they unexpectedly kept both Pagano and Grigson when everyone expected either one or the other to be fired. In truth, both should have been fired right then at the latest.

Yes they both should have been gone then.  I have no idea how Pagano talked Irsay out of firing him.  Unless it was some good drugs irsay liked. 

In truth what would be best is if Irsay just turned almost all control of the team over to his daughters. 

Didn't they just strike out on very publicly trying to hire another coach before reupping Pagano? Like Jon Gruden or something like that? Then when that fell through it was "Hey, Chuck, we want you here for the long haul!" 

Grigson may be the worst GM in recent memory, but even so the combo of Grigson and Pagano was totally unworkable by that point, and one or the other should definitely have been canned.

14 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

After today's humiliation of the Texans by Jacksonville, I wonder if Bill O'Brien is going to lose his job. He can't make a decision about the quarterback he wants to use. It's been this way during all 4 of his years at Houston.

O'Brien and the GM should've been fired a looooong time ago. Along with Pagano, I can't figure out how they still have jobs.

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Didn't they just strike out on very publicly trying to hire another coach before reupping Pagano? Like Jon Gruden or something like that? Then when that fell through it was "Hey, Chuck, we want you here for the long haul!" 

Grigson may be the worst GM in recent memory, but even so the combo of Grigson and Pagano was totally unworkable by that point, and one or the other should definitely have been canned.

There were rumors they were looking for a different coach but nothing confirmed.  Most Colts fans feel that is what happened.  Irsay reached out to some other coaches he wanted and was turned down, so he stuck with Pagano.  But that has is not definite, just suspicion

Grigson was fired after this part season, so they have a new GM.  Ballard came over from the Chiefs.  And the draft was good I think, just the rookies, Hooker from Ohio State and Wilson at safety from Florida, need to learn the system.  The DL was better yesterday, they stopped the run game for the most part.  Pass D just sucked. 

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know I was watching this game and it was awful......I thought at first it was just people getting there late, its 1 PM in LA.......but no, the whole game, less than half filled stands.  Granted it was not much of a game, but the home team won. 

Random thought. How does the LA Galaxy do attendancewise? Will it outdraw one or both of the football... er, American Football teams?

16 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Random thought. How does the LA Galaxy do attendancewise? Will it outdraw one or both of the football... er, American Football teams?

Looked it up and the Galaxy average 25000 a game. 

The stadium holds 90000 and looked less than half full yesterday, so they probably are not drawing a whole lot more than that.  And that was with tickets as low at $6 each

2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Looked it up and the Galaxy average 25000 a game. 

The stadium holds 90000 and looked less than half full yesterday, so they probably are not drawing a whole lot more than that.  And that was with tickets as low at $6 each

Apparently the Galaxy outdrew the Chargers in preseason.   Granted it was preseason but for a city supposedly starved for football it was not good.

Wait for the Chargers home opener at Stub Hub center.    That should be down right embarassing.

It felt like the Rams filled more seats last season. The Colliseum definitely looked different than the night before when it was packed for the USC/Stanford game. The Rams tend to fill more when they are playing opposing teams with heavy fan bases in the area (Niners, Seahawks, etc). It's also a pain in the ass to park there, so that may have deterred people this season. I'm sure once they have their fancy stadium they will do a decent job filling their seats, especially if their offense and defense play as well as they did Sunday.

Tried to look up tickets for Chargers/Bills and the cheapest were for 140. Are they kidding me? Lower the prices and people will show up!

Edited by twoods

Problem is the coliseum is a big-ass stadium, so it's going to look bad.

I was outside yesterday (about 8 miles from the L.A. Coliseum) and it was hot, hot, hot. I couldn't imagine sitting in that old-ass stadium. (I DVR'd the game.)

Also, they charge $80 to $100 for parking. There is an above-ground metro subway that goes by the stadium, but it's tiny.

USC attendance looked terrible during the down years. (But playing in primetime helps a lot with attendance. Also being good helps a lot.)

I think the Rams can receover if they are decent. I went to the first practice in the Coliseum last year, and it was crowded as fuck. Then people stopped showing up after last year's shitshow. They just need to not be entertaining. 

(People are shocked by Jared Goff's play, but his head coach last year was Jeff Fisher, his offensive coordinator  first became an offensive coordinator 4 months before Goff was drafted, and his QB coach was never a QB coach prior to the 2015 season. Meanwhile, Goff this year has an actual offended-minded guy with experience -- albeit, he's only 31 years old -- and his QB coach was a QB coach during the 1994 season, when Goff was born.)

Meanwhile, the 49ers attendance issues are due to it being in a baking oven and really, really hard to get to from other parts of the Bay Area.

Don't know how accurate this is: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/attendance.htm

zu4a9m5.png

It is so nice hearing Hank Williams Jr voice again for Monday Night Football. It just gives me another thing to mute on my television. What was ESPN thinking bringing this idiot back?

Edited by Magog
  • Love 5

Wow.  I just turned to MNF and was completely taken aback hearing a woman call the game.  I thought it was Linda Cohn but just looked it up and it's Beth Mowins.  Either way, I'm impressed.  She sounds quite at ease too.  Nice!

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
Stupid auto correct
  • Love 5

That poor Sergio Dipp guy got hammered on twitter. I didn't watch when he was on, but saw the clip and he seemed terrified (and English is his second language). The armchair assholes on social media are heartless jerks. Poor guy.

The Chargers do what they usually do- come back and come up so close to winning. I'm tired of the Broncos and their stupid showboating that I hope they suck the rest of the season. Come on Raiders, win the division.

2 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Wow.  I just turned to MNF and was completely taken aback hearing a woman call the game.  

I take it as a positive sign of the times that I tuned into the immediate pre-game shot of Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan and asked, "What the hell is Rex Ryan doing in the booth?"

I mostly watched the game during breaks in other programming, so I don't know if he mansplained, but she did well in the bits I heard.

Rex Ryan was tolerable.   He didn't take over the announcing.   Beth did an awesome job and I heard her more than him.

Sergio Dipp might not have English has his first language, but TPTB should have thought of that before they put on the sidelines in a national broadcast.   He's also a grown man.   If women can take freaking DEATH THREATS and threats of rape on twitter for merely expressing an opinion he can take some teasing for sounding stupid.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 1

I'm surprised people liked Mowins. I thought she was awful. She seems knowledgeable enough, but her voice is too nasal and twangy. It grated my ears. Rex was equally as bad, and bless poor Sergio Dipp's heart. The game was like a sideshow to that disaster of a broadcast.

10 hours ago, twoods said:

That poor Sergio Dipp guy got hammered on twitter. I didn't watch when he was on, but saw the clip and he seemed terrified (and English is his second language). The armchair assholes on social media are heartless jerks. Poor guy.

I kept hearing about this so my curiosity got the better of me and I just checked out the clip.

Ok, it was awkward as hell but am I the only one who didn't think it was that bad??

The Interwebs.  Man.  She is one ruthless taskmaster.

• Love 3

Watching the Chargers - Broncos last night, I was shocked that Mike McCoy found another job in the NFL being the OC of the Broncos. You would think that the Broncos would of been smart to stay away from this jerk knowing how much he sucked as a coach for the Chargers. I still haven't forgiven him or the Chargers for messing up on the Browns trying to go 0-16. I hope they enjoy being irrelevant & not getting any new fans in LA. 

Wow.  I just turned to MNF and was completely taken aback hearing a woman call the game.  I thought it was Linda Cohn but just looked it up and it's Beth Mowins.  Either way, I'm impressed.  She sounds quite at ease too.  Nice!

I thought Beth Mowins did all right. I wouldn't mind hearing more of her doing NFL Games. Joe Buck can learn a few things from her. 

15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

And Vikings optimism lives to see another week! Bradford looked good.

I thought that Sam did a nice job last night. He looked a lot more comfortable behind the O-line and made good throws. I am glad that they are giving him much better protection. I also thought that Stefon Diggs did a great job last night. He was very impressive and bounced right up after that really hard hit he took in the game. If the Vikings can keep this type of play up they could end up doing well this season.

Also, it looked Adrian Peterson was upset with Sean Payton. I wonder how many touches he will get in future games. He really wasn't utilitzed a lot last night, but maybe that will now change. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

it was awkward as hell but am I the only one who didn't think it was that bad??

I happened to turn on the tv right as they threw to him.  I was busy with other things and didn't look up.  I first thought maybe mic/earbud foul up and then wondered briefly if he was on the spectrum and the NFL was highlighting a make-a-wish type cause(I have two kiddos on the spectrum and they can get the same rambling halting speech when flustered).  Only after I looked up did I see the Spanish ESPN logo behind him and it all became clear.

It looks like he has a sense of humor about it, tweeting out "and a legend is born".

• Love 2
On 10/09/2017 at 7:50 PM, Calvada said:

Packers defense looked really good - Mike Daniels especially.  Although at times the Packers DBs were bailed out by drops by Seattle (Jimmy Graham - what has happened to him?  Used to be so sure-handed) and by their front 7 pressuring Wilson into some bad passes.  The 'hawks o-line was really back on their heels a lot.  But then so was the Packers o-line, especially in the first half..  I don't think FOX thought it would be this defensive battle when they made it the game of the week.  

As a Packers fan, what I love about Rodgers is how pissed he looks when he throws an INT.  Never just shrugs it off like Favre did.  That drove me nuts. 

As a semi-regular follower of the Seahawks, the GB defense was good but the Seattle O-line is carrying on with last season's form, which was horrific. Idk why the Seahawks are risking their franchise QB like this but he's one slightly slower step away from a bad injury, all because of the cones they call offensive linemen he has in front of him.

As for my Steelers, Ben was off especially with Bell but that's understandable considering it's Game 1. Our secondary still worries me a lot though. Like the look of TJ Watt, he's definitely playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Edited by kdm07

Welp, it's been five years and Murderin' Ray is now Hall of Fame-eligible which means I am already looking forward to not watching the HOF inductions.

I know Sheriff Goodell wasn't commish at the time but still the hypocrisy of THAT GUY as the face of the NFL is galling. I have no interest in hearing the media slurp Lewis's jock in the run-up to the ceremony while glossing over what he did.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Welp, it's been five years and Murderin' Ray is now Hall of Fame-eligible which means I am already looking forward to not watching the HOF inductions.

I know Sheriff Goodell wasn't commish at the time but still the hypocrisy of THAT GUY as the face of the NFL is galling. I have no interest in hearing the media slurp Lewis's jock in the run-up to the ceremony while glossing over what he did.

Thanks for the reminder.   That he is out there talking about how players should behave now is just galling.   Even more galling is how the media acts like his opinion matters.

The only one that annoys me more right now is Michael Vick got hired for an in studio analyst job.   First of all, the guy admitted not paying attention and not studying while he was playing so how anyone thinks that someone who relied solely on natural talent can analyze anything is beyond me.   Then there is the whole dog fighting and prison thing.    There was not ONE former player who had not been to jail they could hire?

• Love 3

As if the Texans didn't have enough troubles, now veteran linebacker Brian Cushing has been suspended for 10 games for using illegal substances as yet unnamed. Management is supposedly gobsmacked - totally surprised.

• Love 1

In honor Brian Cushing's 3rd suspension for PEDs, 10 games this time, just a reminder of how he reacted to the FIRST of his 3 suspensions back in 2010

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/brian-cushing-blames-posi_n_675903.html

It was OVERTRAINED ATHLETE SYNDROME, he never took ANYTHING. Definetly a mistakes.  The team OWNER came out and insisted it was a mistake.  It was appealed.  He lost, not surprising.  I recall him and his posse/PR people giving MULTIPLE interviews all over sports radio insisting he never did PEDs and it was a physiologic HGH response.  This despite rumors of his PED use going back to even college

So now his 3rd suspension.  Doesn't learn not to use them, but learns to keep his mouth shut and isn't protesting this one, I don't think. 

Just a reminder, in case you ever doubted it.  These athletes lie.  About anything and everything, just BLATANTLY.  Even when its obvious they are lying, they still do it. 

Its one reason I can't be too hard on Goodell about the suspensions, even though he has made mistakes and I have stated many times, the whole process needs to change to basically take him out of it. 

But the athletes lie, all the time, my guess is about all these cases.

• Love 2

I am glad that DeShaun Watson got his first win on his first start as a rookie. It was a nice birthday present for him. He has a lot of growing to do as a young QB, but he did a nice job of helping the team by doing things like using his legs to help them score.   DeAndre Houston also did a nice job fighting to help the team get yards.

Andy Dalton and the Bengals have been having a rough couple of weeks. I think that Andy is definitely better than the way he has been playing in these last two games. Maybe he will snap out of his funk soon.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

I am glad that DeShaun Watson got his first win on his first start as a rookie. It was a nice birthday present for him. He has a lot of growing to do as a young QB, but he did a nice job of helping the team by doing things like using his legs to help them score.   DeAndre Houston also did a nice job fighting to help the team get yards.

Andy Dalton and the Bengals have been having a rough couple of weeks. I think that Andy is definitely better than the way he has been playing in these last two games. Maybe he will snap out of his funk soon.

Surprisingly, a good Thursday night game!

DeShaun Watson is one grinning quarterback. He even grinned after getting knocked down hard after a pass. I guess he's happy to be in the NFL. And it's his birthday!

Andy Dalton has a great arm. Too many of his throws were slightly inaccurate, however. And that made the difference in the outcome of the game. 

I think DeShaun Watson played well too.   But his teammates have to help him out.   His legs won't last forever.   And he can't keep taking hits.   Amazingly, what 20 years after David Carr had to leave the league from getting sacked too often the Texans still haven't fixed their OLine.  

Do not know what happened to the Bengals.   But they better figure it out.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Hilarious that JJ pancakes the center on that last play.  He was ready to go home!

I thought he looked really annoyed when he took his helmet off at the end. He was like, "I've had enough of this nonsense!"

Deshaun Watson made the one great play on his run that basically won the game.  That was the difference. 

His passing left quite a bit to be desired, though it improved in the second half.  He missed two guys wide open in the first half and his passing stats for the whole game were pretty bad.  As Simms mentioned he was not giving the plays time, his first read was out and he would immediately start scrambling or looking to move.  Again, was better in the second half, its his first start.  Its something he has to work on though. 

But then Andy Dalton is a multiyear veteran and didn't look that good either, also missed on passes and the Bengals have yet to score a TD.  They have 9 points in two games.  4.5 points a game.  Tough to win games 4-3 or 4-0 in the NFL

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Did Kizer have migraines before?   Or is this something that developed when he went to Cleveland?   

That team is snakebit I swear.

The Browns give me migraines.  Wouldn't you get a headache if you had to lead that offense?

• Love 2

Rough game for the Cowboys. I had hoped they would win this game, but I had figured that some of the games they had on this schedule (especially the ones against the AFC West) would be tough. Today was a tough matchup for them against the Broncos. The Broncos played well on both sides of the ball. Trevor did a nice job (I think he is showing he's a decent QB) and the Broncos D was very tough, they pressured Dak and did really good job of containing Zeke. Dallas defense which did a nice job last week looked slow today and their offense couldn't get much going. Hopefully the Cowboys will bounce back next week.

Also, I thought that the Chiefs did a nice job again today. Kareem Hunt continues to be impressive and the Chiefs really fed of their crowd's energy in today's win. They are showing they are serious competitors.

I am also glad that the Panthers are 2-0. I'm glad Cam ended up being okay after he was hit by the Bills defenders. I also thought that the Bucs played very well and that Jacoby Brisset played with some poise in spite of the Colts losing. 

• Love 1