Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS Tony Romo entered the game against Philly.

I don't know how I am posting this because my head has actually exploded from the inanity of that alert because I do not fucking CARE that a backup QB has entered the game.  Can't wait to get that alert for all of the rest of the teams!

Seriously I hate Dallas so much.

• Love 6

I am glad Tony did well on his short time on the field and didn't get hurt. (I'm glad that Dak didn't get injured either especially since Philly was coming at him with the blitzes). a He's a good QB and has gotten more criticism than he deserves. His biggest issue has been being injury prone but he can definitely throw it. I think that the Cowboys definitely have one of the best 1-2 Quarterback situations in the league.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Does anyone else think that Any Given Sunday is a valid hypothesis except for the chances of either the Texans or Dolphins winning a playoff game this year?

The Browns wouldn't do anything decent with the number one pick anyways so I hope they take down the Steelers today.

There should be some sort of rule that if a team drops someone because of bad behavior, they can't play for the rest of the season. Michael Floyd gets arrested for a DUI and may win a ring because of it- makes me sick. 

The Raiders look terrible without Carr. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Does anyone else think that Any Given Sunday is a valid hypothesis except for the chances of either the Texans or Dolphins winning a playoff game this year?

I think the Dolphins could surprise us (it's like a 1% chance but you never know), but the Texans have a snowball's chance in hell of beating KC or Oakland.

Edited by stealinghome
56 minutes ago, twoods said:

The Raiders look terrible without Carr. 

Watching that game was starting to cause me physical pain, so I'm glad CBS switched us - although I don't give a shit about San Diego/Kansas City, so I'll switch to FOX and further torment myself with the Rams' shitty play.  I wish we got the Giants game instead.

I appreciated Jack Del Rio's honesty and disgust heading into the locker room at halftime; if he was a different type of guy, we'd have been treated to a Jim Mora style "We couldn't do diddly poo ..." rant.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Watching that game was starting to cause me physical pain, so I'm glad CBS switched us - although I don't give a shit about San Diego/Kansas City, so I'll switch to FOX and further torment myself with the Rams' shitty play.  I wish we got the Giants game instead.

If you wait 15 minutes, FOX might also make the switch to Giants/Redskins for more competitive & meaningful programming

6 minutes ago, Carey said:

If you wait 15 minutes, FOX might also make the switch to Giants/Redskins for more competitive & meaningful programming

I'm in Los Angeles, so I'm stuck with this game.

The absence of Carr is no excuse for whatever the defense was (not) doing.

I have CBS on the TV (still no FOX, watching the G-men on the phone) and I'm glad they switched because watching the Chargers lose is always fun, and for reasons that I can't explain I am fond of the Chiefs.

DRC is my spirit animal!  However, the Giants anemic offense is giving me fits.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Tough loss for the Redskins but they(especially Kirk) just didn't do enough to win. Though good for the Lions for clenching a playoff birth.

I feel sorry for Oakland, I was hoping they would go far in the postseason. Derek Carr is so important to them and losing has such a big impact on that team. Maybe they will be able to get at least one more win against the Texans next week. I don't think that will be a high scoring game and maybe they will be able to get a win against them. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Feel bad as well. But it sorta sucks for Pittsburgh since a win vs Miami gives them a shot at Oakland. They probably would have had a better shot at the Raiders than at Kansas City, and had the Chiefs been the wild card, the Steelers would have hope at hosting the AFC Title game.  I think Kansas City is the only team that could knock off New England, but I really can't see that anyway. Pats probably going to NRG next month; New England could be the road team and would win. They are so prepared and answer the call toward whatever happens within their organization. Total respect for them

Still saddened for Pittsburgh, but it's meaningless. If you want the title you have to beat the best (sometimes in tough situations, a la Baltimore in 2012)

Im concerned that an offense that has one of the top 2 receivers in the game can only manage to score 13-16 points. The defense is lights out and once again came thru for us.  I cant believe Mcadoo played the starters for so long....lucky for him we ended up winning the game with no injuries because if either of those two things went the other way he'd have some questions to answer.

I hope the Pack and the Lions still put some effort into their game tonight despite knowing they're both in. 

I also feel bad for Oakland.  Man what a tough break.  KC is now the only team I see with a legit chance to stop the Patriots from rolling thru the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

He had a hell of a game!  In August, who thought the Giants would be 11-5 and in the playoffs? Big Blue!

Not me, I was just hoping they wouldn't start 0-6 and actually end up 8-8 or 9-7. 

I'm very happy with 11-5 and hopeful for the playoffs but, I'm keeping my expectations in check. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Tough loss for the Redskins but they(especially Kirk) just didn't do enough to win. Though good for the Lions for clenching a playoff birth.

I feel sorry for Oakland, I was hoping they would go far in the postseason. Derek Carr is so important to them and losing has such a big impact on that team. Maybe they will be able to get at least one more win against the Texans next week. I don't think that will be a high scoring game and maybe they will be able to get a win against them. 

Well, they not only didn't have Carr, they lost McGloin, too.

It would be nice for the league to do away with endzone celebrations, or modify them. However, I can't say I have a problem when people get penalyzed for it.

Well, several people are upset that they didn't announce the schedule yet. IIRC they usually wait until postgame & not halftime.  As mentioned, I think it's a lock for Pittsburgh to host Miami Saturday night at 8:00.  ESPN is supposed to get an NFC game, but I think the league will switch it up because they can. Oakland/Houston is perfect for ESPN. So sorry to see Oakland's fall, but I like their chances more than Houston (albeit small)

2 hours ago, absolutqt said:

When did DRC become such a ball hawk??  I don't remember any of that when he was in Philly.  Cuz damn if we can't use some good corners right about now.

That first interception was his 5th of the year and it made DRC an additional $500,000.  He had a monster game today and I'm impressed once again by the Giants defense because in a meaningless game to them, they shut down a high-powered offense who were playing for a spot in the playoffs.

I only wish the Giants offense would play better.  The Giants D can play with Rodgers and the Packers offense but the Giants offense may very well cost them the game.

Derek Carr's injury reminds me of Kenyon Martin breaking his leg right before the NCAA tournament - Cincinnati ranked #1 in country and then they lost their best player.  Or for a football comparison, Carson Palmer's knee being taken out on the Bengal's first pass play in a playoff game.  What a demoralizing thing for a team to go through. 

Giants' offensive coordinator must be drooling over facing Packer secondary made up of practice squad players.   The Pack was losing corner after corner tonight.  Early reports on Rollins are encouraging - conscious, with movement - which was such a relief to hear. 

Big picture: Packers secondary falling apart ranks high on what Dallas did not want to see. Unless of course the Packers actually win the game since I can't picture Detroit winning at CenturyLink.  Speaking of which, if Seattle gets fortunately enough to escape Atlanta, and New York wins twice, it should make for an interesting game between the Seahawks & Giants. Seattle has humiliated the GMEN several times; but the Seahawks have yet to face a postseason version of New York based off of past decade

Guess I was wrong about the schedule, but correct in their edit to put the awful Oakland at Houston game on ESPN. Bad news for Miami though if they win; short week heading to chilly Foxborough. Still a bit salty over no Steelers on Saturday night, but if they win, Arrowhead in the afternoon might not be as painful as Arrowhead at night.  Still tough since it's Kansas City's first home playoff game in 6 years

The Pats set a few nasty records this year....

First,  least amount of INTS in a season, 2 count em, between all 3 QB's that played the 16 game schedule.

QB Brady set the record with highest TD to INT ratio in a single season; 28 TDs to 2 INTs for a whopping 14.0.

However the most impressive has to be the Pats 7th consecutive year of at least 12 regular wins in a season.

Now their consecutive streak of 14 seasons of 10 or more wins is second to the 80-90's NINERS 16 straight, but that streak was accomplished over two overlapping Hall of Fame QB's at the helm...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

The Pats set a few nasty records this year....

First,  least amount of INTS in a season, 2 count em, between all 3 QB's that played the 16 game schedule.

QB Brady set the record with highest TD to INT ratio in a single season; 28 TDs to 2 INTs for a whopping 14.0.

However the most impressive has to be the Pats 7th consecutive year of at least 12 regular wins in a season.

Now their consecutive streak of 14 seasons of 10 or more wins is second to the 80-90's NINERS 16 straight, but that streak was accomplished over two overlapping Hall of Fame QB's at the helm...

And two different coaches at the helm for the Niners in that stretch. 

Giants Packers is the game of the weekend. 

Not at all shocked at Lions losing to the Packers.  Its just how it is for those two teams.  You just knew Rodgers and the Packers were not losing to the Lions.  They still make the playoffs, but now go to Seattle as opposed to a home game vs. the Giants.  I know Seattle is a hard place to play but this is hardly the Seattle Superbowl teams, so I am not sure its such a bad things getting the Seahawks instead.  Beating the giants will be tough for GB, especially with the decimated secondary the Packers have right now. 

AFC match ups are awful this weekend.  Houston and Savage/OSweiller vs. Oakland and Connor Cook.......ugghh.   Pick the less competent QB, first team to 10 wins the game.  And Steelers Dolphins, that would have been a great game 40 years ago.  I can't see how Miami has any chance in that one with Matt Moore at QB. 

KC looks very good right now.  KC Pitt in the divisional round, assuming that is the match up, should be a great game. 

Despite their record I have little confidence in the Falcons.  Would not be shocked if they are upset  by whoever they play in the divisional round. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

AFC match ups are awful this weekend.  Houston and Savage/OSweiller vs. Oakland and Connor Cook.......ugghh.   Pick the less competent QB, first team to 10 wins the game.  And Steelers Dolphins, that would have been a great game 40 years ago.  I can't see how Miami has any chance in that one with Matt Moore at QB. 

The Steelers have been known to make mediocre quarterbacks look like the next coming of Joe Montana (much to my chagrin), so I wouldn't be too surprised if that game is much closer than what most people would think.

Supposed to be high of 19 in Green Bay next Sunday.  I wonder if Ben McAdoo's face will get as red as Tom Coughlin's did.  Although 19 is pretty balmy for January 8.  Fill the flask with brandy (this is Wisconsin, after all; we love our brandy) and you're good to go!

The Steelers have been known to make mediocre quarterbacks look like the next coming of Joe Montana (much to my chagrin), so I wouldn't be too surprised if that game is much closer than what most people would think.

The Steelers do have that negative history, but that typically doesn't happen in the postseason and the month leading up to that.  But being down double digits and a dozen defensive errors is a trend that Pittsburgh needs to get fixed in a hurry or they'll be out quick. The offense probably isn't going to score on every possession; while they have done well late in games, the AFC North isn't as good as Miami (who is also a great 4th quarter team).  Could be a blowout, but could also be in a different way, but I think either team can win

Guess I didn't miss very much from those 1pm games. That nap was very refreshing. 

It's official: Mike McCoy has been dismissed from the Chargers.

Good. Not only should he never get another Head Coaching job in the NFL ever again, but he should never ever get another job in the NFL or in College Football in any capacity ever again. Those idiots also need to kick their sorry GM to the curb too.

As for the Redskins, there was a chance for them to get in the playoffs with a win against the Giants & they didn't get it done. Somehow, I'm not surprised about that. I can't imagine how that loser Josh Norman feels about that. Hopefully, we won't hear anything from this fool till next season. And I sure as hell don't want him anywhere near ESPN, NFL Network, & any other network during Super Bowl Week. 

Edited by Magog

And now begins my least favorite season: Self-Important Sportswriters/THs Pick Their Favorite Cowboys & Patriots as Players Not Just for Now, But for All-Time.

Can't a Poe Man get some love??

edited to add: Yes, I am just bitter on behalf of my fellas.

Edited by voiceover
Bitter party of one
3 hours ago, Magog said:

As for the Redskins, there was a chance for them to get in the playoffs with a win against the Giants & they didn't get it done. Somehow, I'm not surprised about that. I can't imagine how that loser Josh Norman feels about that. Hopefully, we won't hear anything from this fool till next season. And I sure as hell don't want him anywhere near ESPN, NFL Network, & any other network during Super Bowl Week. 

They had one job.  ONE JOB!  And I don't want to even look at Josh Norman, much less hear from him.  Kirk Cousins, too. 

• Love 1

Looking at next season's schedule I think Pittsburg, Houston and Indy are three teams that have easier schedules. Especially Indy.The Cowboys, Chiefs and Raiders are teams that I think got some of the hardest schedules.

Edited by Jx223
49 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Somehow we didn't play the Colts this year!

Yeah, I think there have only been a couple of seasons since they changed the divisions that we haven't gotten the Colts.

I've heard that they're taking about going to an 18 game season. About the only way I can see that working without breaking the elegance of the current scheduling format would be if the "other two" - the two teams from your conference whose place on the schedule is based on finishing in the same position as your team - went to home-and-home.

3 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I've heard that they're taking about going to an 18 game season. About the only way I can see that working without breaking the elegance of the current scheduling format would be if the "other two" - the two teams from your conference whose place on the schedule is based on finishing in the same position as your team - went to home-and-home.

I think if the division winners played the 2nd place finishers as well as the other division winners, and the 3rd place finishers also played the 4th place finishers, you could add 2 games to each schedule.

Alternatively, if they eliminated inter-conference play -- which I don't think will happen -- you could play the 3 other teams in your division twice and the other 12 teams in your conference once.

4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

As a Patriots fan, why does it seem like we play the same five teams on rotation every year? 

Because a lot of the schedule is based on where you finish the year before.   So if teams are consistently first in the division, the Pats will consistenly play them.   That's why Brady and Manning met up so often.