Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/14/15

buffynut
  • Start Topic

Let's not hang her in effigy yet - when you see the larger photo, she's actually dressed as Charlie Chaplin.

https://www.facebook.com/ravensymone/photos/a.281793598637750.1073741829.268695659947544/374102039406905/

Oops...Cosmo beat me to it, but the link above also shows her in the hat and suspenders.

But here's an article that breaks down where she made her cash:

http://www.alphalife.me/raven-symone-net-worth/2

(Be sure to read both pages...)

• Love 3

She should still change out that cropped picture on her facebook page.  It gave me a jolt when I first saw it.  How can she not see what it looks like? 

Thanks for the info on where Raven made her money ... it must sting that she won't be earning any more residuals from Cosby any more.  I bet she was raking in some cash from that. But not any more. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3

Oh, Celia ~ I usually agree with about 99% of what you say (and I flove your avatar), but a page back you said:

I am willing to cut her some slack for her apparent unfamiliarity with the John McCain question/answer thing where he shut down the old lady who called Obama an Arab.  That was a few years ago, and she is not that old.

when, in actuality, R-S was of voting age - 22, almost 23, at that time.  However, I'll grant her the excuse of "youth" especially since she didn't have the benefit of having the Hasselbeck family educating her as our Bitsy did.

But if you really feel that she was too young at that time to be aware of McCain's diplomacy, we have to give her some leeway on her knowledge of the Hitler years when she wasn't even a twinkle in her mother's eye!  LOL

She should still change out that cropped picture on her facebook page.  It gave me a jolt when I first saw it.  How can she not see what it looks like?

Frankly, I think she's just downright dumb.  The problem I have is that I may be older and wiser, but I'm sure not worth $55 Million!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 5

But if you really feel that she was too young at that time to be aware of McCain's diplomacy, we have to give her some leeway on her knowledge of the Hitler years when she wasn't even a twinkle in her mother's eye!  LOL

ha! 

Now you stop it, Tunia!  She has to know who Hitler is.  Doesn't she?  Right?  Anybody?  Bueller? 

Sigh.  She probably think Mussolini was an Italian shoe designer.

• Love 6

I have asked the question before and I will continue to ask it until I receive a satisfactory answer:  Why is she on this show?

Perhaps you should direct that question to ABC Executives….they'll know.  Repeating it here, not so much.

• Love 1

Raven needs to pick up the slack. I get it. She grew up in the bubble of the entertainment industry and probably didn't see the need to and/or get a rigorous education. She's worked very consistently and probably has good bank from it. Some celebrities are really, really dumb when you put them in that sort of situation - they related everything back to the world they know because that's all they know. Raven talked about PR because that's what she knows.

Right. This relates back to what she said about the GOP debates. She said that she wants to be ENTERTAINED. That as far as she's concerned, that is the sole purpose of television. If something isn't entertaining, she won't watch.

Now, I agree that much of the time, we watch Tv to be entertained. But when it comes to news, political debates, etc. We watch to be INFORMED.

I'm not sure where The View figures into this, though. It's not very informative, but it's not very entertaining either.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6

Immediately thought Charlie Chaplin-esque.  I don't think emulating Adolf Hitler is really on Raven's radar (not that I'm a Raven fan, but, clearly, she's not on that ugly page).   

Emulating Hitler does not necessarily come from a place of ugliness 100% of the time.  Prince Harry certainly thought if was funny enough.  Sometimes it just comes from a place of foolishness, an area in which Raven happens to be gifted imo.  

That hand does not AT ALL look like a heil Hitler salute.. Wow. Who the hell thought that was supposed to be Hitler? Oh well, another day, another faux fucking outrage. 

I don't think anyone has expressed outrage as much as simple surprise at the carelessness of the cropped image which at first glance looks a little off to some.   It has been established by me and several other people that she was actually portraying Charlie Chaplin.  Let's move on.

Perhaps you should direct that question to ABC Executives….they'll know.  Repeating it here, not so much.

If only they would respond to the endless questioning of their casting of the show. But they won't.  

Maybe it is just too hard to explain how they decided to add to the cast a person who defended someone saying Michelle Obama looks like she belongs on Planet of the Apes.  Some things are just impossible to explain, I guess, so they don't bother even trying.

• Love 2

Emulating Hitler does not necessarily come from a place of ugliness 100% of the time.  Prince Harry certainly thought if was funny enough.  Sometimes it just comes from a place of foolishness, an area in which Raven happens to be gifted imo.  I would put nothing past her. 

I don't think anyone has expressed outrage as much as simple surprise at the carelessness of the cropped image which at first glance looks Hitler-esque to some.    

Well, it is the American way. Be outraged before you know what the hell you are talking about. Then, when proven wrong, say oh well it COULD look like this and people COULD take it this way. Blah blah blah. 

• Love 2

On CNN someone just said a poll shows 43% of Republicans believe Obama is a Muslim.  

And Raven thinks Trump needs PR lessons, ha.  He should be giving them.  The scoundrel. 

Someone above posted that the guy in that audience might have been a Trump plant.  I have to go back and find that post and give it a thumbs up.  I'm starting to wonder myself ... 

• Love 3

Please stop with the talk about how Raven looks like Hitler.  It has now been established that she is supposed to be Charlie Chaplin and this is the episode thread.  Also, Athena has already asked one time today to stop talking about the nurses scandal and to remember to follow our Social Contract of be civil.

Thanks for the info on where Raven made her money ... it must sting that she won't be earning any more residuals from Cosby any more.  I bet she was raking in some cash from that. But not any more. 

It doesn't surprise me that Raven is pretty rich. Sometime last season (I can't remember if it was when I was watching or when I was just reading the comments), but she talked about only buying a certain brand of bras that cost $400 each. Pretty crazy.

I'm actually glad for her. She deserves some benefit since her parents must've really pimped her out if she started working at 3 years old. Going by her education (or lack thereof), she clearly suffered from working so early and for so much of her life in some ways.

I had thought at the end of last season when I tuned back in for Rosie Perez's final weeks that Michelle could possibly be good with some work. Then the new season started and she was so anxious and the jokes were nonstop. She's calming down and if she's willing to be serious at times, I might start going back to that earlier opinion. Still, I can't help feeling she's a little pointless with Joy there.

• Love 5

Raven has no intellectual curiosity. She relishes being ignorant. Michelle doesn't add a thing and I had hoped the pawing the male guests had ended with Sherri. Michelle doesn't paw them, but, she always acts like being close to them is giving her the vapors. Stop it!

• Love 8

That article refers to Arbour as a "guest host".  No, she was a guest.  A guest they all hated and criticized.  Wonder if she has an agenda to lie, maybe? I'm no fan of the show, but I don't believe that article for a second.

• Love 3

How funny that Ellen jumped on the controversy and exploited it.

And it's hilarious to see Arbour in the role of tattle tale, biting the hand that extended her 15 minutes of fame.

Ellen never brought up the controversy.  She had Miss Colorado on the show because of the question she answered during the pageant.  A judge asked her what woman she'd like to see on the $20 bill and Miss Colorado answered Ellen Degeneres because of her kindness and ability to be funny without insulting anyone.  That's why Ellen asked her to be on the show.

• Love 8
Thanks for the info on where Raven made her money ... it must sting that she won't be earning any more residuals from Cosby any more.  I bet she was raking in some cash from that. But not any more.

I'm sure there's still money to be made. The show isn't on TV for the moment, and may not be for a while, but I'm sure the DVDs are still for sale. In spite of what we've learned about Cosby himself, it was a wildly successful, ground-breaking, long-running sitcom and it won't just disappear forever.

Raven has no intellectual curiosity. She relishes being ignorant.

The thing that irks me about Raven is the same thing that annoys me about Whoopi - she gives the impression that her opinion is the only one that could possibly be valid. I mean, I have strong opinions -- most people do on at least a few hot-button issues -- but I also realize that other people may disagree, and while I may secretly think they're idiots, I realize that there are other opinions out there. I'm also open to hearing them out, and have on occasion changed my mind on issues. (Shocking!)

But I think Raven is one of those people with a locked-down mind: that's it, it's set in stone, period. Ditto for Whoopi and her pronouncements-from-Mt-Sinai demeanor. They don't want to be challenged, they don't want to open their minds to anything different, they don't want to freaking HEAR anything different.  (Don't write me, don't tweet me, I don't care! or Raven literally shaking her blue card in the face of whatever host disagreed with her.) And that's what I find so very annoying. If you have that strong an opinion, share why you do. Listen to someone else and tell them why you think their opinion is wrong. Don't shut down like a bank vault and keep repeating the same thing over and over. Damn, I'm getting worked up thinking about it! ;-)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 8
That article refers to Arbour as a "guest host".  No, she was a guest.  A guest they all hated and criticized.  Wonder if she has an agenda to lie, maybe? I'm no fan of the show, but I don't believe that article for a second.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Collins get the ax, but I too seriously doubt the veracity of the story. All we have to do is consider the source. Hopefully that is the last we hear from this Nicole Arbour Day woman and she goes back to the obscurity from whence she came, posthaste. 

As for Raven's Facebook photo, in the cropped version that appears on her home page, it is easy to see why someone would get mixed up about it. But I think Raven should take the advice she gave Trump about PR and apply it to herself. After all, PR is all about appearances more than reality. 

• Love 5

I didnt realize that talking was a talent

Let's not underestimate Miss Colorado's talent. Her sentences were not littered with "like" and she did not have the nasal voice of a Kardashian. 

I am from Colorado so I need to get this off of my chest: the contestant knew when she entered that she would have to compete in the talent portion. Woman, prepare! Poetry reading would have been better that her self-serving crap fest. And Ellen on a $10 bill? I was yelling at my TV.

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 8
I am from Colorado so I need to get this off of my chest: the contestant knew when she entered that she would have to compete in the talent portion.

We can't blame Miss Colorado.  If I knew her and she explained what her talent was, I'd have told her it would NOT work.  Apparently many did but she didn't accept their advice.  A series of judges in a series of pageants seemed to be happy with it.  She got farther than most of the thousands of young women who try.  I'm surprised she didn't have better stories to present--every nurse I know does!    Also, will that area of talent continue...on-the-job stories?

• Love 6

I am just amazed that this particular gaff has created such a shit storm primarily based on mischaracterizations of what was said, when there have been perfectly clear (and perfectly sickening) things clearly stated at length more than once on the show and the reactions paled in comparison.  

• Love 14

Johnson & Johnson is one of the companies who pulled ads in support of nurses.

But, J&J are currently facing a HUGE PR problem due to mis-reporting incidence of serious side effects of a psychiatric medication. I think they are just deflecting criticism. "Yeah, we fudged numbers, but look over there! Those people dissed NURSES!"

Edited by backformore
  • Love 15

Maybe the term means something else in this context, but in the Daily Mail article, all the advertisers' statements said they have "paused" advertising. Which means, as I've guessed, that they'll eventually return once people find something more meaningful to be outraged over?

Btw, the Daily Mail again? Nothing'll sway me from thinking that Whoopi has connections with them. Have any of the hundred thousand write-ups they've had since the beginning of last season ever portrayed her negatively?

I wouldn't be surprised if the executives took advantage of this to excuse Michelle from the table. I'd feel bad for her, but wouldn't really care either.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7

Where did they dig up this Michelle person anyway?   I never heard of her before she showed up on the View.  Is she some kind of internet comedian? 

FYI, more companies have dumped the View.  Snuggle, McCormick Spices, and Party City joined the fray. 

Roger, in response to your comment about Bush protecting the US from terrorism, the 9/11 attacks were planned way before his presidency, most likely planned during Clinton's administration.  

Lets face it. This show is not long for this world.  Loss of viewers coupled with loss of sponsors, and the employing of substandard talent all points to this being their last season.  Actually, this show should have been killed 5 years ago. 

Edited by KLovestoShop

There may be more to why companies are pulling advertising dollars from the show. Purely speculation on my part ( I am not a lawyer or a nurse !) , but maybe the small print in their ad contracts with The View would allow big companies to legally get out of contractual obligations to pay for advertising if the show does something that can be construed as bringing negative attention to it. So companies that are paying big bucks for advertising and see this new season as not living up to there expectations to draw a huge audience can use the "nurses nationwide have been villefied" argument to easily break their contract, pull out their advertising money and financially benefit from this fiasco.

• Love 6

I'm sure there's still money to be made. The show isn't on TV for the moment, and may not be for a while, but I'm sure the DVDs are still for sale. In spite of what we've learned about Cosby himself, it was a wildly successful, ground-breaking, long-running sitcom and it won't just disappear forever.

While Cosby was wildly successful in its original run, I don't think it was ever a big syndication hit. Raven was also only on it for 3 seasons, I believe. While she certainly made money from it, I'm sure the vast majority of her bank has come from her other ventures. 

• Love 4

Where did they dig up this Michelle person anyway?   I never heard of her before she showed up on the View.  Is she some kind of internet comedian? 

FYI, more companies have dumped the View.  Snuggle, McCormick Spices, and Party City joined the fray. 

Roger, in response to your comment about Bush protecting the US from terrorism, the 9/11 attacks were planned way before his presidency, most likely planned during Clinton's administration.  

Lets face it. This show is not long for this world.  Loss of viewers coupled with loss of sponsors, and the employing of substandard talent all points to this being their last season.  Actually, this show should have been killed 5 years ago. 

Where this is probably true.... during the transition from the Clinton Administration to the Bush Administration there was intelligence shared..... A report titled Bin Laden was determined to attack America.... it was presented to the White House by the CIA.

There was intelligence available that could have been used to thwart the attacks..... we were not kept safe during the Bush Administration.

But this is a episode thread about The View..... we should save this discussion for when they chat about it on The View again.

Edited:

Oh.. about Michelle.... I saw a video of her being a guest on a few obscure talk shows....so people in the industry knew who she was.... but I never heard of her until she was on The View...... Im sure that montage video is on YouTube somewhere.

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 8

Johnson & Johnson is one of the companies who pulled ads in support of nurses.

But, J&J are currently facing a HUGE PR problem due to mis-reporting incidence of serious side effects of a psychiatric medication. I think they are just deflecting criticism. "Yeah, we fudged numbers, but look over there! Those people dissed NURSES!"

Dead on! This is J&J working to bury the negative press about that medication by releasing this new wave of pr support for nurses. Well played.

Snuggle, McCormick Spices and Party City have a seasonal sales to consider, so why not jump on the bandwagon. We won’t remember, after all.

• Love 3

I have asked the question before and I will continue to ask it until I receive a satisfactory answer:  Why is Raven on this show?

Before she came on "The View," Raven was a regular fixure on a number of talk shows - Wendy Williams in particular - and she always interviewed well. It always threw me off because her character on "That's So Raven" was so ditzy and silly, but Raven the person was nothing like that at all: she was openly ambitious, was always very direct and to the point, and she was a breath of fresh air from a lot of the vapid starlets we see on talk shows who can't string together a coherent sentence (see also: Lohan, Lindsay.)

I think part of the problem - aside from the fact that she is obviously very sheltered or willfully ignorant - is that Raven is only "good" at fluffy topics. When she was on Wendy and was asked about the Kardashians, she was entertaining. But when she's asked about hard-hitting news stories on "The View," the results are cringe-worthy. IMO, they should keep her as a rotating 'guest host' for fluffy celeb features, and hire someone more competent (i.e. a Lisa Ling,) for the main table.

• Love 3

And Clorox so I don't have to see a kid crap somewhere but Clorox will sanitize the area ad while I'm eating lunch. Hopefully this topic, which educated me on the pettiness of many in the profession, will not be addressed any more on the show. And, I'll give the moderators here a break by not commenting on it again.

• Love 9

I want to move on too, Bronzedog.  But I just have one more thing to add.

Here is Party City's statement about "pausing" their advertising on The View:

“In response to recent comments made on ‘The View,’ Party City has decided to pause its advertising accordingly,” wrote Party City on Facebook.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-view-loses-3-more-advertisers-over-nursesunite-controversy/

Yeah, right Party City is so upset by the statements made on The View, lol.  But I guess this little "statement" they sell on their website is no problem

f3ccc9516ca06f511c0d8b243fd43235.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I find the above "statement" a lot more insulting to the nursing profession than anything Joy said. Talk about hypocrisy....

• Love 24

Celia R.,

The above post is fabulous. Spot on! I am not on Facebook so I can't do it, but someone should certainly comment on Party City's Facebook regarding their tacky nurses uniform being more insulting than a couple comments about an unusual pagent "talent".

• Love 3

Thought I would read the comments again before commenting on this faux pas they made the same day they made the nursing comment.

Did anyone catch the comments after the audio played of Kim Cattrall talking? One of the panelists mentioned that she was starting to sound like Madonna. And a few more snipes before they moved on.

I can't believe that not one of the panel knew that Kim was born in England and that her "acting" voice and intonation and inflections is different from her normal speaking voice..

According to google, Kim moved from England to Canada when she was three months old, then back to England when she was ages 11-16.  I'm not sure what her non-acting voice sounds like, but her formative years were spent in Canada.  I would find it odd if she had a full blown English accent.  I know Mark Ballas was born in the US, but spent a great deal of his formative years in England.  It gave him the type of accent that has caused many to accuse him of affecting the accent.

According to google, Kim moved from England to Canada when she was three months old, then back to England when she was ages 11-16.  I'm not sure what her non-acting voice sounds like, but her formative years were spent in Canada.  I would find it odd if she had a full blown English accent.  I know Mark Ballas was born in the US, but spent a great deal of his formative years in England.  It gave him the type of accent that has caused many to accuse him of affecting the accent.

She doesn't have a full blown accent. They were joking that she was starting to sound like Madonna's fake accent. I was sort of perplexed that they would make fun of her and not one of them seemed to know her background.

She may have moved from England to Canada and then back to England however she was always around her parents who had full blown English accents and she was learning how to talk around folks who had English accents so they would naturally pass that on to her. My mother had a pronounced Gaelic "lilt" to her voice and could speak some Gaelic because her mother was born and raised in Ireland. So did all of her sisters.

In fact, just saw a friend of mine from where I used to work. He is from Taunton, England and has two children. Both of them speak with English accents. And they haven't set foot in England yet.

I have cousins in Ireland who were born in the US and moved to Ireland with their Irish born parents. They now have pronounced Irish accents and I would be the last person to say that their accents were "Madonna fake."

Edited by maryis1
  • Love 3

My nephew's wife is Welsh, and their kids don't have English accents, but there is a distinct difference in the way they speak.

Same with my mom. One of those "I can't put a finger on it but it is different." A long time ago I was reading up on why accents are so hard to lose. I don't know if it is still thought to be this reason but it is food for thought. When we learn to speak, we develop the muscles in our mouth and tongue in certain ways and those ways include the accent that the person has who we learn to speak from. For some people, they have more elasticity in those muscles and are able to more easily mimic accents that are initially foreign to them.

Native Spanish speaking populations are said to be some of the hardest to overcome to speak in an "American" accent because of the intricacy of the Spanish language and how speaking it entails musculature that is difficult to override.

Edited by maryis1