Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Family Business Trip

Amazing episode. I laughed my ass off so many times. John Stockton wearing the Reebok Pumps, so they're over. Jessica's handling of the hotel bill. $2 off if you bring your own cat to feed to the gators. Hope they keep up this momentum all season!

• Love 4

LOVE it! Best actors in the family are "Baby" Evan and Dad (who has great mini-expressions!)!

I think Mom was transformed way too early in the season, though! A super-saver persona is good for many laughs!

Yes, "bring a cat!" And the lady next in line HAD one! Hahaha!

And yes again to the kid as The Mask! "Jim Carrey! Ssssmokin'!"

ETA: Wait, what? I've missed episodes already?! Must. Catch. Up!

Edited by LennieBriscoe

Well, I guess this solves the "Will IRL Eddie be back as narrator?" question. I kind of miss his narration. He had good comedic timing.

Jessica reminds me of my mom (as I'm sure she does for many others). My mom would totally micromanage the bill. Not to the point of pulling my tooth out, but close.

Hudson Yang's voice has deepened a few octaves. He and the kid on the Goldbergs are transforming into young men before our eyes.

"Woman, I been soft!" Hehe.

Jessica frugalizing the room and Grandma disparaging the tanners were so accurate. I recall when my friend's Chinese grandma said, "People who tan are dumb. They look like drumsticks."

The most accurate though was the massage room scene--OMG. My mom right there.

• Love 3

Constance Wu tweeted that the food choices at the pool (thousand year old egg and grass jelly drink) were her suggestion.

I feel like Pumps were kinda over by 1995. I mean, I had Pumps in the early 90s and they weren't that hot then.  So I looked it up on Wikipedia and yeah, I think Pumps' biggest years were 1991-92 or so.  That said, loved the Stockton burn.

I missed this show and I regret semi-dropping it.  I should try to catch up with all the episodes I missed.

This is barely relevant but I wanted to share it anyways. When Evan asked to be picked up and carried, this reminded me of a story my sister told me about my nephew. He's the middle kid of three boys, was about three at the time this happened, and his younger brother is two so he didn't get much time to be the baby.  Anyways, he asked his mom in Chinese to pick him up, basically the same words as what Evan used, and when she said no, he said something like "but I don't know how to [pick up and carry] myself".  One of the best lil kid guilt trip moves I've ever heard.

Edited by arc
  • Love 3

This episode had so many good small moments. I loved when the Gatorworld guy said that you could get a discount if you brought your cat to feed the gators and then two people walked by in the background carrying cats into the park.

My parents always brought snacks from home so we wouldn't have to spend money on food while we were out. As a result, the first time I went to Disneyland as an adult (meaning without my parents when I was in college), I could not believe how much it cost to buy a burger and fries - and not even a good burger and fries!

I loved that the tooth fairy leaves the kids notes admonishing them to clean their rooms. I also loved that Jessica knows her family so well that as soon as she saw that particular empty hanger in the closet, she knew Louis had packed his bathing suit.

Jessica wearing her clothes for her massage was hilarious, partly because one of my friends hates being touched so when he went for a massage he left his jeans on. I liked that the masseuse totally rolled with it and just tried to get Jessica to relax enough to let go of her purse.

I thought that Eddie's parents were going to come running into the park and make Eddie leave before he could go on that ride, so it was a nice surprise to see Eddie choose not to go on the ride himself.

Loved grandma rolling into Gatorland for free and riding the roller coaster without the rest of the family too!

I thought it was true to life that all it takes is one cool kid like Nicole to get all the other kids to change their minds about Eddie's summer being cool. You just need one cool teenager to bestow coolness upon another. Man, I do not miss being 13 years old!

• Love 9

Jessica reminds me of my mom (as I'm sure she does for many others). My mom would totally micromanage the bill. Not to the point of pulling my tooth out, but close.

My mother in law would have pulled the tooth in a heartbeat had she thought of it. 

The most accurate though was the massage room scene--OMG. My mom right there.

I work in aesthetics, and this happen more often than you think : )

LOVE THIS SHOW!!! The cast is great and the writing is amazing. If this show doesn't win best comedy at next year's Emmys, then there is no justice, especially when you consider how many years that unfunny crapfest Modern Family won.

• Love 3
I thought it was true to life that all it takes is one cool kid like Nicole to get all the other kids to change their minds about Eddie's summer being cool. You just need one cool teenager to bestow coolness upon another. Man, I do not miss being 13 years old!

Not only a "cool kid" - an older woman!

Amazingly funny episode.  So many parts of it made me laugh so hard, but particularly when the family entered the hotel room and the quick sequence showing all the things Jessica did exemplifying her cheapness.  Sweeping all of the little bottles of shampoo and lotion into her big bag.... I couldn't stop laughing.  The quick cuts of each scene were perfect.

Now that the show is starting the season on the fall schedule, I really hope it gets some award recognition.  Constance Wu is golden, and I hope the Golden Globes and the Emmys see that.

• Love 2

Great start to a new season! I was laughing all the way through, from the cheapness at the hotel, to Gator World, to John Stockton's pumps. Constance Wu deserves more recognition for this show. Hopefully, with the Eddie Huang controversy out of the way, the show will be looked at a more favorable light by the GGs and Emmy's.

I love how coolly Jessica handled the bill after Louis freaked out. I loved how the writers didn't make her go back to tight and tense Jessica after the ridiculous bill, because that would be the totally predictable way to do it.

• Love 1

I've been watching the reruns this summer and was really looking forward to new episodes, but for some reason this one felt off to me. I think the lack of adult Eddie's narration does hurt it a bit. There were moments when you would expect to hear him chime in with some wry bit of commentary, and I missed that when it didn't happen. I understand why Eddie Huang doesn't want to do it, and having another character do it doesn't work either (I love Evan, but the opening was weird last night) but I don't know why they can't hire another actor to be the adult Eddie doing voiceovers.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the "hot sneaker" part. I didn't realize the pumps were out of fashion in 1995, but getting the latest sneakers was definitely the 90s. I basically stopped growing at age 12 and had the same size feet, but my brother had a growth spurt (as many boys do). He went through several pairs of $70+ sneakers because he outgrew them. And he always insisted that he needed the "hottest" (expensive) pair.

My parents always brought snacks from home so we wouldn't have to spend money on food while we were out.

We went to a lot of amusement parks (for those in PA, Dorney Park was the bomb growing up). We always brought food with us. Packing lunch for our one week trip to Disney World saved so much money and time!

• Love 1

I've been watching the reruns this summer and was really looking forward to new episodes, but for some reason this one felt off to me. I think the lack of adult Eddie's narration does hurt it a bit. There were moments when you would expect to hear him chime in with some wry bit of commentary, and I missed that when it didn't happen. I understand why Eddie Huang doesn't want to do it, and having another character do it doesn't work either (I love Evan, but the opening was weird last night) but I don't know why they can't hire another actor to be the adult Eddie doing voiceovers.

Although I really enjoyed the episode, I agree with you that I missed adult Eddie's commentary.  I love those bits last season when he would chime in with a funny comment.  I agree that they could have just gotten someone else to play the voice of adult Eddie.

• Love 2

I'm not sure why, but I didn't find this ep as funny as last season.

Same here. And I had recommended the show to new viewers, so I hope that maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, or that the jarring new narrator (to my ear) wouldn't bother new people. I just loved this show so much last year, I hope I am back into it next week.

• Love 1

I didn't find it as funny as last season, but we'll see how it develops. Constance Wu is everything.

I didn't laugh and I am a fan of this show. I was disappointed. Maybe it was too on the nose for me (I'm not Asian) but the cheap vacation thing went on and on. They cant have anything or any special day unless they are putting the screws in someone. *sigh* Maybe it is bad memories for me. The great part for me is when the dad said " the best part of vacation is enjoying yourself." That is so true. That is the whole point!! Micromanaging .... ugh.... bad memories. For further moaning I'll go to the small talk thread :)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

Although I really enjoyed the episode, I agree with you that I missed adult Eddie's commentary.  I love those bits last season when he would chime in with a funny comment.  I agree that they could have just gotten someone else to play the voice of adult Eddie.

I was always totally baffled by the fact that adult Eddie seemed to have some kind of crazy Brooklyn accent thing going on, despite being from DC and then Orlando. Very distracting.

• Love 3

I didn't laugh and I am a fan of this show. I was disappointed. Maybe it was too on the nose for me (I'm not Asian) but the cheap vacation thing went on and on. 

That's how I felt, too, so when it turned out that Louis and Jessica each thought the other wanted no vacation, the ep improved for me.

I missed this show a lot, actually more than I thought I did. 

The tee shirts with "black men" on it, Jessica and the whale sounds, lots of laugh out loud moments. 

My mom is not QUITE as obsessive about savings as Jessica, but I do have strong memories of sneaking food into movies amusement parks to avoid paying for food there. 

I have to wonder why Hudson Yang couldn't do it. I don't care much for the character of Eddie, but he's certainly a better actor than the boys who play his brothers.

I have to wonder why Hudson Yang couldn't do it. I don't care much for the character of Eddie, but he's certainly a better actor than the boys who play his brothers.

Maybe I missed something in the back half of s1, but I find Yang no better - and often slightly worse - than the younger brother actors.  This might be colored by how I like the brother characters a bunch more than Eddie, though.

• Love 1

IMO Yang's a decent actor, it's just that his role is a thankless one because his character is often insufferable. Forrest Wheeler and Ian Chen are adorable, but their acting leaves a lot to be desired. So far they've been coasting by on cuteness, which I'm okay with because their characters aren't that demanding. I just hope that the show doesn't drastically expand their roles the way some viewers have been asking for. That's generally my feeling when it comes to peripheral side characters (with a few exceptions). There's usually a reason why they're peripheral side characters, and more often than not I end up hating the results when a side character ends up taking over the show. I'm okay with the occasional "day in the limelight" episode, though. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 7

I know they were trying to be comedic about Jessica's penny pinching, but I do think a hotel trying to charge guests for bringing kids' snack food to the pool patio is unreasonable. Particularly for a pool that apparently didn't have a lifeguard—what, were they dropped so the place could afford the salaries of the contraband patrol officers who were monitoring what all the guests eat and drink? Jessica should have started grilling the guy about allergy precautions for the resort's food and put the fear of litigation into him.

Some of my favorite moments from the premiere:

- Grandma riding the coaster all by herself and getting a poolside hairdo. Hee!

- The running joke when both Jessica and Louis mistook a whale's voice for John Tesh. I don't know who he is, but that's hilarious.

- The cashier at the hotel, "Those are our hidden fees. That's how we get ya!"

- "They're all 5 and under." "........" "Okay these two are 5 and under!" "........."  "This one is under 5!" "Good eye. Can't get anything past this guy!"

- At the restaurant, all the men shouted their wives' name when Jessica yelled. Lol.

- "I died and they bring me back!" xD

- The running joke when both Jessica and Louis mistook a whale's voice for John Tesh. I don't know who he is, but that's hilarious.

Back then he was still an anchor on Entertainment Tonight, maybe his last year, with the side career of making New Age, Yanni type music later he became primarily a musician and would mix in Contemporary Christian Music.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 3
Well, I guess this solves the "Will IRL Eddie be back as narrator?" question. I kind of miss his narration. He had good comedic timing.

Well, considering how much he bitched about how the show, even to the point of penning an op-ed piece, it's no surprise they wouldn't want him involved anymore.

Eddie really annoyed me last season -- I disliked the character and didn't care for the young actor -- but I have to say, in this episode he didn't annoy me as much. As much as I like Jessica, she got on my nerves this time. The desk clerk reminded me of Rebel Wilson. I also don't care for the "older" girl. There was something sad about how blase she was about having to repeat a grade.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Ugh, I don't agree with that.  Randall is adorable.  He reminds me so much of someone I dated.  Anyways, Jessica's character probably wouldn't look for a husband based on hotness quotient; she'd probably be like my own mother who has advised me that I shouldn't marry someone too good-looking, after all, she didn't.  :)

No narration is a great thing for me, always.  Narration, like laugh tracks and studio audiences for sitcoms, are things I just wish would die away.  Gossip Girl is a show I really think would be perfect without the narration, for example.  Anyways, I didn't even notice!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I think Louis is a catch - he's successful, fairly sweet, doesn't suffer overly from Sitcom Husband Idiocy Syndrome, and Randall Park is hot!

I don't get it either with have two normal attractive people with both actors. We don't have the trope of the overweight blue collar worker who shouldn't be able to afford the single family house with the stay at home swimsuit model wife going on here.

• Love 5

Ugh, I don't agree with that.  Randall is adorable.  He reminds me so much of someone I dated.  Anyways, Jessica's character probably wouldn't look for a husband based on hotness quotient; she'd probably be like my own mother who has advised me that I shouldn't marry someone too good-looking, after all, she didn't.  :)

No narration is a great thing for me, always.  Narration, like laugh tracks and studio audiences for sitcoms, are things I just wish would die away.  Gossip Girl is a show I really think would be perfect without the narration, for example.  Anyways, I didn't even notice!

I think Randall Park is adorkable.

• Love 2