Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Vegas Finals, Part 3

• Start Topic

In the Season 7 finale, contestants tackle the final three stages of the Mount Midoriyama course in Las Vegas. Stage 2 features a new obstacle, Roulette Row; and Stage 3 has the new Psycho Chain and Area 51 obstacles.

Two finishers?!?! That was awesome. I was good with either of those guys winning. I would have preferred Geoff but Caldero is one of the least offensive wolf pack.

I love how excited the others are for the finishers. I have to give Geoff props for handling the loss of a million dollars well. That has to suck.

• Love 5

Finally a winner, yay! Definitely need a course redesign last year, several got past the cliffhanger and the other obstacles didn't produce any failures except the rock climbing wall and it was definitely smaller than last year. I'm surprised only 8 out of 38 people made it past stage 2. Wasn't sad to see Brent fall, he and Kacy are the only contestants that really annoy me. Bummed for Joe M. but he had a good attitude. All in all, good episode. Still no excuse for not showing runs of people that finished S2, seriously, only 8 finished, don't put them in a montage.

• Love 6

Caldiero is the man! That was awesome! Britton was amazing too - the scene at the end w/ them congratulating each other was just beautiful. Love this show!

I think it was a great season - I think like someone said them making the finals courses more difficult they had a stronger set of competitors in Vegas.

Wonder what Isaac C. will do with the money?

• Love 5

What a way to end the season. No "USA Vs. The World," but we have two American Ninja Warriors. And Matt and Akbar didn't orgasm themselves to death over the double finish.

Back to the drawing board . . . for the ninjas (to get stronger) and the obstacle designers (38 entrants for Stage Two? Eight for Stage Three?!?). At least this was a more fulfilling show than Last Comic Standing. Forget Clayton English . . . let's give Geoff Britten his own family sitcom! Or Isaac Caldero as a busboy by day, rock-climbing private detective by night.

• Love 3

I came here to check out spoilers.  Hubby never wants to know what's going to happen.  But when I read that Isaac won the money, I said to him, "I can't NOT tell you this!"  He's finished Stage 3 here.  Can't wait to watch him do Stage 4.

WTG, Isaac!!!

As far as I'm concerned, Geoff Britten is the better American Ninja Warrior. Not only did he complete both city courses, he also beat all four stages of the Vegas finals course. Isaac Caldero failed to complete his city finals course. Plus, Britten displays much better sportsmanship than Caldero. I'll eat my words if he were to share half, or even some of that prize money with Britten, but I doubt that will happen. Since this is a roll-over jackpot from two seasons if I recall correctly, then it's not that much of a stretch. Of course, rules may also prohibit this from happening.

Regardless, Caldero is a great athlete. Unfortunately, he's a cocky showboater as well, and I just don't like that. Nor do I like his Wolf Pack clique. I think Kevin Arnold annoys me the least of that group, though Caldero is probably second. Therefore, Caldero may have won Season 7, but Britten is still the first American Ninja Warrior, and he did it by finishing all courses and stages.

I'm also glad there were multiple ninjas competing at stage 4. It would have been heartbreaking for someone to get to stage 4, but not complete the climb before the time ran out. As it was, Caldero finished stage 4 over 3 seconds faster than Britten. I would have been more upset if it had been less than a second in difference between their finishes, which can be attributed to better start timing.

Otherwise, there were a lot of unexpected exists of veterans in odd places, especially those that stumbled on Stage 2's opening rope obstacle. I was especially disappointed by the exists of Lance Peekus and Kevin Bull, both of whom I had hoped would became the first ANW. As far as the military veterans go, I was also saddened that Dustin McKinney didn't make it further, as I liked him a lot more than Ryan Stratis. I tried getting into a panel at Dragon Con to see Statis, but the room filled to capacity with about a dozen people in front of me. Since that was just on Labor Day weekend, I wonder if he spoiled the outcome during his discussion, either intentionally or not, or if there's some sort of non-disclosure agreement that prevents that.

Finally, it was blindingly obvious how pale and white Kevin Bull is compared to the other ninjas when they showed the group shot. I wonder if he has some albinism going along with his alopecia. Regardless, he was rocking that red singlet in his background story, one of the few I actually watched.

Glad to hear there will be a season 8 (according to the Vegas Finals Part 2 thread). See you folks next year.

• Love 3

What was making me jump up and down was how many came close to completing Stage 3.  I was rooting for Jeremiah Morgan because he lives so close to my parents and he didn't get as much publicity as some of the others.  I also wanted Ian Dory to complete Stage 3.  However, I knew that once Isaac Caldiero and Geoff Britten completed stage 3, that they would complete stage 4!!!  Congratulations to both of them (and I hope there is some money going to Geoff).

I was hoping that Ryan Stratis, Lance Pekus, Dustin McKinney, and Neil Craver would have gone further.

Did anyone else hear Brian Arnold say that he wouldn't be able to train as much for next's year completion?  BTW, I could have sworn he'd always been referred to as a stay-at-home husband. 

Kudos to Caldero for winning, and kudos to Geoff for being the only guy to hit all 6 buttons (metaphorically anyway -- there was no button at the end of Stage 3). Boy, the end of Geoff's Stage 3 run was a real nail-biter! I watched the whole last hour over again after it finished. Joe Joe Joe, what were you thinking?!?  Oh well, you're still my favorite. And hey, more kudos to Ian Dory and Drew Dreschl for their 3rd and 4th place finishes. Those guys should get some of the spotlight too.

• Love 2

Wow to Geoff and Isaac! I was also definitely rooting for Joe though and I'm glad he's planning on returning. Hope the ninja cowboy comes back too.

Geoff was amazing in Stage 3 - I missed his hanging by his fingertips until they showed the replay.

One of the awesome things about this show is watching the other competitors cheer everyone on even after they themselves are out. Love it.

I have no clue how they have the strength to do Stage 4 after 3.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1

As far as I'm concerned, Geoff Britten is the better American Ninja Warrior. Not only did he complete both city courses, he also beat all four stages of the Vegas finals course. Isaac Caldero failed to complete his city finals course. Plus, Britten displays much better sportsmanship than Caldero. I'll eat my words if he were to share half, or even some of that prize money with Britten, but I doubt that will happen. Since this is a roll-over jackpot from two seasons if I recall correctly, then it's not that much of a stretch. Of course, rules may also prohibit this from happening.

Regardless, Caldero is a great athlete. Unfortunately, he's a cocky showboater as well, and I just don't like that. Nor do I like his Wolf Pack clique. I think Kevin Arnold annoys me the least of that group, though Caldero is probably second. Therefore, Caldero may have won Season 7, but Britten is still the first American Ninja Warrior, and he did it by finishing all courses and stages.

I'm also glad there were multiple ninjas competing at stage 4. It would have been heartbreaking for someone to get to stage 4, but not complete the climb before the time ran out. As it was, Caldero finished stage 4 over 3 seconds faster than Britten. I would have been more upset if it had been less than a second in difference between their finishes, which can be attributed to better start timing.

Otherwise, there were a lot of unexpected exists of veterans in odd places, especially those that stumbled on Stage 2's opening rope obstacle. I was especially disappointed by the exists of Lance Peekus and Kevin Bull, both of whom I had hoped would became the first ANW. As far as the military veterans go, I was also saddened that Dustin McKinney didn't make it further, as I liked him a lot more than Ryan Stratis. I tried getting into a panel at Dragon Con to see Statis, but the room filled to capacity with about a dozen people in front of me. Since that was just on Labor Day weekend, I wonder if he spoiled the outcome during his discussion, either intentionally or not, or if there's some sort of non-disclosure agreement that prevents that.

Finally, it was blindingly obvious how pale and white Kevin Bull is compared to the other ninjas when they showed the group shot. I wonder if he has some albinism going along with his alopecia. Regardless, he was rocking that red singlet in his background story, one of the few I actually watched.

Glad to hear there will be a season 8 (according to the Vegas Finals Part 2 thread). See you folks next year.

First, I think you mean Brian Arnold. Secondly, Caldiero has the right to be cocky. He can be cocky all he wants as long as its backed up. Its confidence and sends a message to the other competitors to watch out for him and they should rightfully so after this season.

As with the ANW title, I think the title should stay with Cladiero. Although, Britten has cemented his spot in ANW history, he doesn't have the title in my book. He's a phenomenal athlete for sure. Sure he might have been the first one up, but he only went up first cause Caldiero let him. Plus, ANW has always been about going farthest the fastest (except for stage 3).

In the end, its a competition. Competition's generally only have one winner and officially that goes to Isaac Caldiero.

Edited by Phantomizer
  • Love 3

I was at the edge of my seat all night! What a great episode! I was thoroughly surprised that 8 ninjas made it to stage 3. A new record which seemed to be the theme the entire season. I figured that inexperienced ninjas like Drew Dreschel, Kevin Bull and Abel Gonzalez wouldn't get pass stage 3 but I was really impressed by Ian Dory. It was really heartbreaking when he fell right about where Brian fell 2 years ago. Nonetheless, Ian Dory is one to watch out for next year.

I was really disappointed with Steffenson's run tonight, though. He's my favorite ninja next to Brian Arnold. Ever since beating the Ultimate Cliffhanger, he's just never been able to duplicate that success. Brian Arnold really saddened me too; he was one of my picks to win it all. I think if Morvasky would have just turned around during the Ultimate Cliffhanger, he would have been joining Britten and Cladiero in stage 4. Oh well. He said he's done it many times during practice so it probably felt natural to him.

A huge congrats are in order though. Isaac Caldiero is the very first American Ninja Warrior. Until next season.

Amazing! I really enjoy watching both Caldiero and Britten and was happy for both of them. 

I'm glad we got to see so many attempt stage 3. Watching only 2 last year was such a disappointment. I was surprised how well some of the less experienced ninjas did on the course. What was Moravsky thinking with his blind backwards jump? Oh well, he won't make that mistake next year. I was so impressed with Ian Dory. He did great. You could see the horror on Brian Arnold's face when he fell in nearly the same spot he did.

I think not being able to compete in Vegas last year hurt Steffenson this year. Wasn't the rope obstacle new last year? I remember it taking too much time and wearing out several ninjas last year.  The roulette obstacle was a perfect obstacle to thin out the field because it needs to be done perfectly and there's no recovery if you miss the timing. 

The Rope was new last year, and a returning obstacle this year.

All told, it worked out almost perfectly. Ideally it seems that each stage should have 1/3 of the previous stage get through. So the finals start with 100, Stage 2 starts with ~33 (30 this time), Stage 3 starts with ~9 (8 this time) and Stage 4 should have ~3 contenders (2 this time). That both finished is fantastic.

Caldiero had the advantage going into Stage 4. He ran Stage 3 before Britten and let Britten go first, so he had about an hour more rest/recovery than Britten did. 

Still, fantastic runs by both of them and a great season. The City courses need a bit of easing in the design, but the 4 stages of the final seem to hit the sweet spot.

And Boo! on the producers. Even with just 8 Ninjas on Stage 3 AND having an hour to show their runs... they STILL clipped one of the ninja runs (not showing the corkscrew and doorknob grasp of one run)

• Love 3

I correctly predicted who would complete stage 3, so hooray! Both guys did a phenomenal job. Geoff really gutted it out. He was DONE at the end of stage 3, but pulled it together to complete stage 4, which was amazing. Sad he didn't get ANY money. I think there should be a 75/25 split of the cash. Isaac dominated the whole time, though. He looked relaxed and focused. His technique on that rope was breathtaking - just ratcheting himself up with the feet and arms like it was nothing. Kids in gym class should have to watch a video of that before they attempt rope climbs.

I was surprised to happen to turn it one right when the Jesus guy finished stage 3. I feel like it's unfair to the other guy who also finished stage 4 not to get anything when he basically got to the same place. Plus I liked him better.

• Love 1

Caldiero had the advantage going into Stage 4. He ran Stage 3 before Britten and let Britten go first, so he had about an hour more rest/recovery than Britten did. 

Yes, I thought the same thing. He had a lot more time, IF editing was to be believed regarding order. Issac went earlier on and got to watch several competitors and had more time to rest, get some glucose in, hydrate. I always liked Caldiero way back to the beginning, it felt like a deserved win. His rock climbing is way impressive. I loved when they reshowed him in the Jesus cape. I always thought that the guy could do the lead in Jesus Christ Superstar if he could sing! Geoff was a very worthy competitor (his daughter is cute). The fact that he is essentially a novice, shows his innate athletic ability. I hope he comes back next year, because he will be a force. It is so funny because I watched The Island earlier this Summer (show sucked btw), however the stars of the show were the cameramen that were also participants (basic premise-put some regular guys and camera guys -to document it-on a deserted island and see if they can make it with no help for 30 days. The camera guys didn't tap out, were in better shape, more resourceful, better attitude, very good looking, and saved a turtle!-long story, they made the show). It seems like camera guys are a hardy bunch.  I felt bad for Joe. Bone headed mistake. Looking forward to next season and the domination of Jessie Graff! Love her. 

• Love 2

One note about Joe's third stage run: I don't remember what the cliffhanger looked like last season, but in the current Japanese version it's a rule that you have to attempt that cliffhanger jump the way Joe did it.  In fact, Drew Dreschel competed in the last Sasuke and made it to the Crazy Cliffhanger where he performed the jump the way it was done most times tonight, by facing the obstacle before the jump.  The run was disallowed and he was made to repeat his third stage run and attempt the Cliffhanger the way that Joe did it, resulting in failing the obstacle.  He wasn't outright disqualified since they didn't adequately explain it to him due to the language issues. 

So I'm not sure what the Cliffhanger was like last year for ANW, but it might be reasonable for Joe to assume that you had to use the turnaround technique and practice it that way. 

I don't know why the producers can't arrange for either dual prizes or a secondary prize for finishing the course but not as fast.  Certainly they'll have to have prize insurance. I think every sporting event with a halftime contest like "Hit a full court shot and win $10,000!" has insurance to pay for the slim chance of a contestant winning.

• Love 3

as to the money - people who place in other reality shows get money, in this case, they have not had to pay our for 7 years, so you would think they saved up a little, so a second and third place finisher should also get something. 

I think to get past city finals is amazing, so my jaw is on the floor after watching the finishers, I just don't understand how the human body can do that!

My only question is if Caldero regrets allowing the other guy to go first, because the other guy will always be the first one to finish the course. 

I have to give Geoff props for handling the loss of a million dollars well. That has to suck.

It has to be especially galling that the guy who doesn't care about money is the one who wins the $1 million. Geoff was an extremely gracious competitor. And I liked that Isaac cheered him on during his run. 

It didn't surprise me that Isaac won. He's been very elegant throughout the stages.

• Love 1

It has to be especially galling that the guy who doesn't care about money is the one who wins the $1 million. Geoff was an extremely gracious competitor. And I liked that Isaac cheered him on during his run. 

It didn't surprise me that Isaac won. He's been very elegant throughout the stages.

Isaac may not care, but his girlfriend was shooting him an, "I'm tired of living out of the van," look before his run if I've ever seen one.

• Love 11

Although, Britten has cemented his spot in ANW history, he doesn't have the title in my book. He's a phenomenal athlete for sure. Sure he might have been the first one up, but he only went up first cause Caldiero let him.

Geoff is the ONLY one to finish EVERY course -- Qualifier, CITY FINAL, Midoriyama stages. 

There should be some penalty for not finishing a course.  Maybe a time penalty.

Did anyone else hear Brian Arnold say that he wouldn't be able to train as much for next's year completion?  BTW, I could have sworn he'd always been referred to as a stay-at-home husband.

He's not a stay-at-home husband.  He's mooching off his girlfriend and the mother of his 3 children -- all of whom looked to be school-age now.  

• Love 4

He's not a stay-at-home husband.  He's mooching off his girlfriend and the mother of his 3 children -- all of whom looked to be school-age now.  

THANK YOU! I am appalled by that guy. So he knocks up his girlfriend, won't marry her, and has the balls to live off her money and not work so he can exercise to be on a reality show? If someone wrote that letter to Dear Abby, Abby would tear that mofo apart.

• Love 13

He's not a stay-at-home husband.  He's mooching off his girlfriend and the mother of his 3 children -- all of whom looked to be school-age now.

I believe it was stated Brian "works" full-time on training for ANW. Whether that means he is mooching off of anyone, only he and his family know for sure.

I absolutely LOVE Isaac Caldiero and have since I saw him seasons ago on this show. He's the guy I would have dated in college, and still am attracted to all these years later out of college. But when did he turn into "Busboy" Isaac? He has been a "professional rock climber" every other time he was shown competing.

The flash back to his first appearance in the Jesus outfit was hilarious. I wish ANW would repeat some of its early seasons so we could see these guys before we "knew" them.

I was thrilled someone finally won this event. Think of all the money this show has saved by not paying anyone anything for ... how many years? Then for two to finish ... I was hoping Isaac tosses Geoff a few bucks. I can sort of see him spreading the wealth around with his Wolf Pack buddies. But who knows how much he'll really get, and how NBC will pay it out.

Weatherman did say jumping backwards is how he had been training, so I don't blame his downfall on that, even though that's when he fell and we can spec that if he had turned around he would have gone on to finish. Even the immortals like Weatherman get tired.

In all, an exciting finish. But how much time is given for ninjas to rest before stage 3 and 4? I'm surprised anyone can finish at all, so hooray for Geoff and (my tv boyfriend) Isaac.

Isaac and Geoff are on the Today show :).

I hope this gets posted online so I can see them. Thanks for the info, FavShow!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I was on the edge of my seat for much of the show and ran the gamut of emotions.  I've always wanted Joe Moravsky to be the first ANW and I was sure from the hype that someone was going to go all the way this year and hoped it would be him.  I was so so disappointed when he fell. 

I have mixed feelings about the outcome.  I really like Geoff Britten, a decent looking guy with no gimmicks, a nice family and a real job who had the skills to conquer every obstacle.  OTOH Isaac has worked for his victory for several years.  I have to give credit to the guys who try year after year and I'm sort of glad that a relative newcomer didn't beat all of them.  I'm still not sure how I feel about all of that.

I think there should be some formula for sharing the money among multiple finishers.  I hate that Geoff got nothing even though he was the first ever to succeed. 

Does anyone know if Isaac is now ineligible to compete again?  I wonder if not having the opportunity to be the first ANW will dampen competitors' enthusiasm or if they'll try hard to join Isaac in the winner's circle. 

• Love 2

Having a penalty for not completing a city finals course doesn't make sense considering the courses are not equal. Isn't that why they take the top 15 per course even if there are no finishers. It's hardly fair to knock Isaac for that. He earned his trip to Vegas by making the top 15. He has completed city finals courses and stage 1 in previous years. Geoff competed in a different city, right? We don't know how either of them would have done on a different course. I do wish there were some sort of runner-up prize for those who complete stage 4 but don't win. On the other hand I don't think either of the top two were doing it for the money but for the sense of accomplishment (although the money is great and I'm sure both could use it). I suspect they both would have competed and gone just as hard for the win without the million dollar incentive.

My guess is that both of them will be back next year to tackle the new obstacles. They both seem to really enjoy it and that's what makes them fun to watch.

If I remember correctly Brian Arnold quit his job to train full-time after nearly completing stage 3. I'm guessing he is going to have to go back to work since he has fallen on stage 2 the last two years. He can't justify to his girlfriend or himself that full-time training makes the difference. It sounds like Isaac Caldiero has always taken odd jobs to help support himself because professional rock-climbing doesn't pay the bills. A lot of the ninjas seem to have that sort of lifestyle and that's fine. I know skiers and surfers and golfers and actors who live similarly. It will be interesting to see how much the money affects Isaac's lifestyle.

• Love 2

I was on the edge of my seat for much of the show and ran the gamut of emotions.  I've always wanted Joe Moravsky to be the first ANW and I was sure from the hype that someone was going to go all the way this year and hoped it would be him.  I was so so disappointed when he fell. 

I have mixed feelings about the outcome.  I really like Geoff Britten, a decent looking guy with no gimmicks, a nice family and a real job who had the skills to conquer every obstacle.  OTOH Isaac has worked for his victory for several years.  I have to give credit to the guys who try year after year and I'm sort of glad that a relative newcomer didn't beat all of them.  I'm still not sure how I feel about all of that.

I think there should be some formula for sharing the money among multiple finishers.  I hate that Geoff got nothing even though he was the first ever to succeed. 

Does anyone know if Isaac is now ineligible to compete again?  I wonder if not having the opportunity to be the first ANW will dampen competitors' enthusiasm or if they'll try hard to join Isaac in the winner's circle. 

IIRC (and I could be wrong), I believe Iseman said that both Britten and Caldiero attempted ANW 3 times so they are both relatively newcomers; Caldiero was just showcased more because of his association with the wolfpack.

I do believe that Caldiero is eligible to compete again. If it's anything like Sasuke, they'll let him defend his title. Although I do feel that they will amp it up. Too many people got through stage 1.

• Love 1

So happy someone finally beat this course. These guys are amazing.

I don't have any feeling about the prize money. I doubt anyone really expected two people would make it to the end, but the rule about the fastest time makes sense.

It makes no sense at all to reward the person who was slower just because they were the first to finish. I don't really understand that logic. The order of finish isn't important, the time is what matters.

If they wanted to give incentive for second place on this show, they would have designed it that way. I think it's always been about who is the one best competitor.

Hubby tuned in the Today show this morning.  They showed Geoff climbing a rope there at the studio at the end of their show, and RAN OUT OF TIME and didn't show Isaac.  However, they did have time for 3 minutes of commercials.

Sheesh.  Producer fail.

• Love 5

It sounds like Isaac Caldiero has always taken odd jobs to help support himself because professional rock-climbing doesn't pay the bills. A lot of the ninjas seem to have that sort of lifestyle and that's fine. I know skiers and surfers and golfers and actors who live similarly. It will be interesting to see how much the money affects Isaac's lifestyle.

I hope the money doesn't affect Isaac at all. But a follow up down the road would be interesting. I know some rock climbers -- they are a different breed. They routinely put themselves in life-and-death situations, they can die from one slip of the fingers, and that sort of lifestyle creates a persona on a different level from the average joe on the street. It's also why they group together, away from the "normal" person who just doesn't "get it." Hence, the camaraderie of the Wolf Pack.

I respect each and every one of these ninjas. And as for showboating, they can showboat all they like, stand on their heads and write postcards from the top of the warped wall if they want. They are doing what I cannot. More power to them all. I was cheering for each one from home, just as hard as each of them were cheering for each other live from the grandstand.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11

Hubby tuned in the Today show this morning. They showed Geoff climbing a rope there at the studio at the end of their show, and RAN OUT OF TIME and didn't show Isaac. However, they did have time for 3 minutes of commercials.

Sheesh. Producer fail.

Yeah - I kept thinking they were going to go back to them, but they didn't - I figured the million dollars will Isaac won that Geoff didn't would make up for how he didn't get to climb on Today.

Matt Iseman was on too talking about the show and how they have a ton of applications for next season already, so that was cool.

• Love 1

I am glad that finally not one, but two people finally finished this thing.  I am shocked that it is not bigger news.  I sort of expected both guys faces to be plastered all over everything this morning.  I wonder now that is has been done, will this show become more or less popular?  I still think it showcases a type of athleticism and perseverance that is not often seen on American television.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

Having not watched the show before this, I was delighted that stage 4 was just climb a rope in under 30'seconds! No floating dangling things, no leaps, just climb!

I also don't see why they didn't both win $1M. - I thought the prize was for whoever beat Mt. Midoriyama, not the one who was fastest.

• Love 4

I never thought I would get so hooked on this show 3 years ago.  Now? I'm sad when the season is over!  

Showboating aside, Isaac is the real deal.  His upper body strength is crazy.  And Geoff..man what an ending for stage 3!  I think he was too spent to finish stage 4 faster (and Isaac had to figure he would be to have him go first.)  

And for the road...SHUT UP AKBAR.  

• Love 4

First, I think you mean Brian Arnold. Secondly, Caldiero has the right to be cocky. He can be cocky all he wants as long as its backed up. Its confidence and sends a message to the other competitors to watch out for him and they should rightfully so after this season.

As with the ANW title, I think the title should stay with Cladiero. Although, Britten has cemented his spot in ANW history, he doesn't have the title in my book. He's a phenomenal athlete for sure. Sure he might have been the first one up, but he only went up first cause Caldiero let him. Plus, ANW has always been about going farthest the fastest (except for stage 3).

In the end, its a competition. Competition's generally only have one winner and officially that goes to Isaac Caldiero.

Both of them have earned the title of "American Ninja Warrior" for having completed stage 4 in regular competition. The season 7 Wikipedia agrees with me citing that it's "the equivalent of Sasuke's title of Kanzenseiha, or 'Total Victory'" (but I understand that's not a reliable source, so take it with however much salt and/or sugar you feel necessary). The title of "winner of season 7" (and the prize money) goes to Caldiero for having done so quicker.

Given Caldiero's rock climbing superstar status, I doubt the outcome would have been any different had they switched the climb order. It was a good strategic move on Caldiero's part to give himself even more rest and recovery time. I still find Britten's accomplishment more impressive given he's not a professional rock climber, completed all the courses and stages, and did so without cocky showboating.

And yes, I did mean Brian Arnold. I probably was thinking of Kevin Bull.

IIRC (and I could be wrong), I believe Iseman said that both Britten and Caldiero attempted ANW 3 times so they are both relatively newcomers; Caldiero was just showcased more because of his association with the wolfpack.

A quick search on the rankings in the Wikiepedia entries shows Caldiero having competed at least 3 times (2013, 2014, 2015) and Britten competing twice (2014, 2015). I also recall someone referring to Britten's "sensational sophomore year".

-

Additional thoughts:

I wonder if both Britten and Caldiero will have ANW completion patches in addition to any city finals patches next year? Since I've never seen Sasuke, I don't know if patches appear in both competitions or is just an ANW thing.

It was interesting to see Lance Pekus competing in more activity friendly shorts instead of his trademark jeans. Yet, Kevin Bull remained in his slacks. Anyone know if his purple accessories represented anything in particular? City color representation maybe, or some cause perhaps? If they explained this in the parts I skip over, my apologies for asking here.

• Love 3

I'm sure the outcome would have been the same had Isaac gone first. They pointed out how he was using his legs to grab the rope while Geoff seemed to just let his legs dangle. I'm no rope climber but I think that gave Isaac an advantage.

• Love 1

I was surprised so many ninjas (like Ryan Stratis) went out on the Salmon Ladder, considering that's a classic obstacle that they all had to complete in the city finals course.  Are the rungs wider in the Vegas course? Is the pole perhaps of a different weight?

I was also surprised that so many competitors finished Stage 2 with so much time left on the clock -- I remember Joe only had like 2 seconds to finish last year. Did they have more time on the clock this year? Or was it because the Roulette Wheels actually took a lot less time than the spinning thing they had before? Or was it just because these ninjas were so familiar with this minimally tweaked course and trained so hard for it?

And again I was surprised by the changes made to Stage 3, particularly the absence of the Spider Flip, which seemed like a classic obstacle. Overall Stage 3 seemed easier than previous years, though again maybe it just seems that way because the ninjas prepared so much for it.

Both of them have earned the title of "American Ninja Warrior" for having completed stage 4 in regular competition. The season 7 Wikipedia agrees with me citing that it's "the equivalent of Sasuke's title of Kanzenseiha, or 'Total Victory'" (but I understand that's not a reliable source, so take it with however much salt and/or sugar you feel necessary). The title of "winner of season 7" (and the prize money) goes to Caldiero for having done so quicker.

Given Caldiero's rock climbing superstar status, I doubt the outcome would have been any different had they switched the climb order. It was a good strategic move on Caldiero's part to give himself even more rest and recovery time. I still find Britten's accomplishment more impressive given he's not a professional rock climber, completed all the courses and stages, and did so without cocky showboating.

And yes, I did mean Brian Arnold. I probably was thinking of Kevin Bull.

A quick search on the rankings in the Wikiepedia entries shows Caldiero having competed at least 3 times (2013, 2014, 2015) and Britten competing twice (2014, 2015). I also recall someone referring to Britten's "sensational sophomore year".

-

Additional thoughts:

I wonder if both Britten and Caldiero will have ANW completion patches in addition to any city finals patches next year? Since I've never seen Sasuke, I don't know if patches appear in both competitions or is just an ANW thing.

It was interesting to see Lance Pekus competing in more activity friendly shorts instead of his trademark jeans. Yet, Kevin Bull remained in his slacks. Anyone know if his purple accessories represented anything in particular? City color representation maybe, or some cause perhaps? If they explained this in the parts I skip over, my apologies for asking here.

U right, they both have the title. I guess winning the show =/= "total victory" as I read more into it.

BTW, I could have sworn he'd always been referred to as a stay-at-home husband.

I believe in maybe his first 2 seasons, Brian Arnold was head of maintenance at a nursing home.  It warmed my cold heart because he seemed to really love the residents and I'm a gerontologist.  So, he gets a lot of passes from me.  

It should also be noted that if I never hear 'wolfpack' again, it will be too soon.  Ugh - It must have been uttered at least 500 times this season.  

• Love 1

Since I've never seen Sasuke, I don't know if patches appear in both competitions or is just an ANW thing.

They're an ANW creation.

I was surprised so many ninjas (like Ryan Stratis) went out on the Salmon Ladder, considering that's a classic obstacle that they all had to complete in the city finals course. Are the rungs wider in the Vegas course? Is the pole perhaps of a different weight?

My guess would be that the safety-line and counterweights attached to the bar sometimes throw people off. Most don't seem to train with them attached, and there are no lines or weights attached to the bar in Japan. Only ANW attaches things to the bar.

I was also surprised that so many competitors finished Stage 2 with so much time left on the clock -- I remember Joe only had like 2 seconds to finish last year. Did they have more time on the clock this year?

Stage 2 was 150 seconds this year. It was 125 seconds last year.
  • Love 1

Wow. I did not know that. Thought he was still with his wife. It's so much better when I don't know about these people's personal lives. It's definitely time for him to get a job (even odd jobs) otherwise he's destined to become the American version of Mr. Ninja Warrior.

I am appalled by that guy. So he knocks up his girlfriend, won't marry her, and has the balls to live off her money and not work

You mean like when a woman doesn't work and her husband does? Is that "mooching"? Since we're not privy to the conversations between Brian and the mother of his children, we don't know what their arrangement is.
  • Love 6

And for the road...SHUT UP AKBAR.  

Aw, I like Akbar. He see Geoff Britten's name looks like "Britain," and he keeps shouting "Britten's got talent!!!!" for the dozens of people who would get that joke. I think he should be proud that he made it to a Stage 4 without a squeegee. Ditto for Matt.

It should also be noted that if I never hear 'wolfpack' again, it will be too soon.  Ugh - It must have been uttered at least 500 times this season.  

I was numbed to that when the term was used in the latest season of The Real World earlier this year.

• Love 2

Having not watched the show before this, I was delighted that stage 4 was just climb a rope in under 30'seconds! No floating dangling things, no leaps, just climb!

I also don't see why they didn't both win $1M. - I thought the prize was for whoever beat Mt. Midoriyama, not the one who was fastest.

You mean like when a woman doesn't work and her husband does? Is that "mooching"? Since we're not privy to the conversations between Brian and the mother of his children, we don't know what their arrangement is.

Yes, I'm sure they are a partnership. Plenty of people live together and have children together without marriage. I don't understand the vitriol regarding a strangers private life

Just wanted to add a supportive post.

Also, I always thought that the winner does the final stage the fastest. I recall that the winning time matters. It just isn't commonly thought of because just finishing is so extremely hard. Why a person who is slower and comes in second should be considered the winner is something I still don't understand.

Being the first historic finisher is still awesome and an incredible achievement.

These guys are so inspiring and make me want to work harder on my own physical fitness.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

I'd prefer a system where anyone who finishes stage 4 gets something like $100,000, and then the winner gets $1M.

Of course, very few of these people give me the impression that they are doing this for the money - I think if the prize was only $1 or a charity donation you'd see most of the same competitors.

I think the show adds the big money prize just to make it interesting for us the viewers.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 5