Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Alternative Ingredients

• Start Topic

The remaining bakers must bake without sugar, gluten or dairy - but thankfully not all in the same challenge.

First up, the signature challenge sees the bakers create a variety of sugar-free cakes, from an upside-down pineapple cake to carrot cakes. They use honey, agave syrup and fruit, but there's more to replacing sugar than just adding sweetness. For one baker, going sugar-free isn't enough as they take the healthy option one step further and bake a cake without any traditional forms of flour.

Paul picks the technical challenge, gluten-free pittas, which are made with a very sticky dough that tests the bakers' skill - but which of them can get the desired pocket within their pittas?

For their show-stopper, the bakers must make dairy-free ice cream rolls. Mary and Paul are looking for silky-smooth ice cream, surrounded by jam and a light sponge. Coconut milk provides the base for all the ice cream, tropical flavours are in abundance, and there's more than one desert island for the judges to try - and even a fondant sunbather.

I hate coconut; I was sorry that the one non coconut ice cream maker ended up going home - even if it kind of collapsed. Surely there are other possible ingredients? I don't think Italian ice cream is always dairy, why not make that?

The gluten free pitta bread looked very unappetising.

• Love 2

I was surprised that Paul called the peanut butter ice cream refreshing. I think of it as being rather heavy but I'm glad Ugne was at least able to go out impressing Paul with the PB&J flavors.

I was very happy to see Nadiya reach her potential this week - I should try the berry and basil seed sauce.

Warden Paul's showstopper design was cheesy but watching him sculpt a leg and some boobs genuinely made me laugh. It was also nice to see him in exposition mode during the technical, which usually means he's not completely lost in the weeds on a challenge. He, Tamal and Nadiya seem to be the most personable and good on the warden for helping Alvin out.

Adding to the Anglo-American divide...the word "sultana," and the pronunciation of "pita." Plus is oblong an acceptable shape for pita bread? I've only ever had round ones.

• Love 9

Seriously with the oblong pitas.  Are oblong pitas a thing?   I've never seen pitas that weren't at least going towards round.  I was so certain Nadiya was headed for another technical mess.   

I was certain Paul would be good on technical because I've made pita several times (although never gluten free) and his always looked right to me.  

I was so happy for Nadiya!   OMG, I adore her.  

Anybody else surpised Alvin didn't get dinged for doing something so simple with his pineapple upside down cake?  I guess it was one of those if you do something simple make it perfect moments, but he was done cooking so incredibly early.   

I'm lactose intollerent and only eat dairy free ice cream.  So I was super stoked for the show stopper.   What a let down.   So much coconut.  It makes sense because it is the easiest/creamiest to work with.  However, I've never had one that didn't taste of coconut.   I don't loathe coconut.   But when you want something that tastes of vanilla, or chocolate, or whatever and you buy that with a coconut base, you will never not get coconut with the other flavors.    The other non dairy options are (to me) less obtrusive.   

• Love 5

Anybody else surpised Alvin didn't get dinged for doing something so simple with his pineapple upside down cake?  I guess it was one of those if you do something simple make it perfect moments, but he was done cooking so incredibly early.  

I was, but I'm sure portions of the judging were edited out. Since he was never in any real danger this week it was probably just a non-issue.

Weird theme for an episode overall. Nothing I would have been terribly excited about eating... but the laughs I got watching Paul play with his little sunbather were the high point.

• Love 6

This is only the second episode of this show I've ever watched (I'm not at all interested in these 'competitive reality' type shows), but it's really enjoyable.

I'm only watching it because my girlfriend is friends with Tamal, so I'm supposed to support him. Along with Nadiya and Flora, he's one of the people who stands out as the most likable and fun. I'd be happy with any of those three winning. Both Nadiya and Flora have wonderful energy and personalities that make me smile. The only one I've not taken to is Ian, because I find his humility comes across as rather false. As for the baking side of it, I can't cook or bake worth a damn, so everything they all do looks impressive to me.

Generally, any time they talk about chocolate or caramel or a combination of the two, I'm thinking they're making something that I'd like to eat.

Paul Hollywood straddles the line between amusing troll and dick, it seems. Sometimes he doesn't straddle it well, and falls too far over to 'dick' side, but he's mostly okay. I'm not keen on Mary Berry. From what I've seen, she just pulls faces and offers little in the way of anything constructive.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

I almost did Tamal's happy dance when Alvin survived. I liked Ugne but like Sandy last week nothing was going right. The women this year have been felled like corn. Last year Kate, Chetna and Martha provided a warmth that is a little missing this year, it's a shame. I respect the show for making it all about what's presented week by week, and Mary and Paul have said in interviews the day the producer advises them who to put through is the day they stop judging, but it's hard when my guys crash and burn.

• Love 3

Danny Franks, welcome to the GBBO forum - it must be fun for you to be just a degree away from a current contestant. If you decide to watch more than this season, I suggest you next check out last year's group. One incident aside, I thought it was an especially warm, charming group of bakers.

I hate coconut; I was sorry that the one non coconut ice cream maker ended up going home - even if it kind of collapsed. Surely there are other possible ingredients? I don't think Italian ice cream is always dairy, why not make that?

I think almond and soy milks are used in dairy-free ice creams but the mixture will still need something like xanthan gum to thicken.

Seriously with the oblong pitas.  Are oblong pitas a thing?   I've never seen pitas that weren't at least going towards round.  I was so certain Nadiya was headed for another technical mess.   

On the cultural thread, posters responded that oblongs are regionally popular, including for gyros. I don't eat gyros often, but again, I've only ever seen round pitas.

Oblong is the common shape for pita bread in the uk. What's wrong with sultana?

I am not a raisin connoisseur, but I've only ever heard these called Thompson Seedless raisins.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 2

Danny Franks, welcome to the GBBO forum - it must be fun for you to be just a degree away from a current contestant. If you decide to watch more than this season, I suggest you next check out last year's group. One incident aside, I thought it was an especially warm, charming group of bakers.

Thanks. Yeah, it's certainly entertaining when I've got someone so biased sat next to me. I'd be happy with anyone of the three I mentioned winning, and Paul too. My gf is more of an expert on the show, and a bit of a cook as well, so she's giving me a running commentary, which helps. Apparently that polenta cake Tamal made is every bit as good as Mary and Paul said it was.

I find it curious that there's no sort of cumulative total for the bakers. That someone who was the best one week could be eliminated the next week, solely on the basis of how the judges feel about their three items. But I really like how supportive the contestants all are of each other, taking time to help out and give a bit of advice from time to time. There's another competitive cooking show that I've seen once or twice, with professional chefs, and they're so passive aggressive with one another all the time, that it's tough to watch.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

I find it curious that there's no sort of cumulative total for the bakers. That someone who was the best one week could be eliminated the next week, solely on the basis of how the judges feel about their three items. But I really like how supportive the contestants all are of each other, taking time to help out and give a bit of advice from time to time. There's another competitive cooking show that I've seen once or twice, with professional chefs, and they're so passive aggressive with one another all the time, that it's tough to watch.

Welcome, Danny! I was surprised to see you here today since this didn't seem like your kind of show, but we're glad to have your thoughts. I didn't even realize you lived in the UK. I agree with most of your comments in your posts except Mary is a national treasure hehe.

The judges only judge for that week alone and I think that's actually fair. There was one or two times in the history of the show where they had to go back and judge previous weeks because they were stuck on who to eliminate. I think to a certain extent they judge the contestant's overall ability for the final. They prefer  contestants who are improving on their previous week. One thing about GBBO and some UK shows is that the contestants are able to practice between episodes.

As halopub mentioned, previous groups have really gelled. Though, I still like this current batch. I do like Tamal and Nadiya and find no issue with most of the contestants. I can see what you mean about Ian. He seems to be the kind of man that does receive a lot of compliments. Not to say he isn't humble, but I think he has a lot more confidence in himself than the others do.

• Love 2

Welcome, Danny! I was surprised to see you here today since this didn't seem like your kind of show, but we're glad to have your thoughts. I didn't even realize you lived in the UK. I agree with most of your comments in your posts except Mary is a national treasure hehe.

Heh, thanks. It's really not my kind of show, although I do tend to enjoy cooking shows as long as they aren't centered around some macho chef trying to tell everyone that cooking is the most arduous profession ever known to man. The more chilled out ones like Raymond Blanc and Tom Kerridge are my medium. Though obviously, the stresses involved for these contestants are very different and feel much more real than Gordon Ramsey shouting because he likes shouting. I think the promise of cheesecakes in the previous episode was what won me over.

The judges only judge for that week alone and I think that's actually fair. There was one or two times in the history of the show where they had to go back and judge previous weeks because they were stuck on who to eliminate. I think to a certain extent they judge the contestant's overall ability for the final. They prefer  contestants who are improving on their previous week. One thing about GBBO and some UK shows is that the contestants are able to practice between episodes.

That does make sense, actually. It makes for a more intriguing show, if there's no chance of someone like Ian having built up an unassailable lead by the halfway point. So as long as you're in it, you have as good a chance to win as anyone.

As halopub mentioned, previous groups have really gelled. Though, I still like this current batch. I do like Tamal and Nadiya and find no issue with most of the contestants. I can see what you mean about Ian. He seems to be the kind of man that does receive a lot of compliments. Not to say he isn't humble, but I think he has a lot more confidence in himself than the others do.

Without having any frame of reference for previous groups, I felt like this group seems to get on quite well (though I haven't seen the first three episodes yet. I might have to find them on iPlayer). They all seem like genuinely nice people, who are supportive of one another.  It doesn't seem cliquey either, which would be a risk when you have predominantly young people and only one or two older ones. Though I guess some of this could be down to the editing.

Seeing the others' reactions to Ian winning star baker in the previous episode, and being told that he'd won three in a row, I wonder whether he actually deliberately underwhelmed in the first two, just to counter any potential resentment that might be caused. Smart move, if so.

• Love 1

There was one or two times in the history of the show where they had to go back and judge previous weeks because they were stuck on who to eliminate.

Those were both early in the show's history, too. One of the times was in the middle of the final for the very first Bake Off, when they narrowed from 3 down to 2. And they never tried to do that again -- starting with the next season, the final 3 stay to the end. 

The other time was maybe in Season 2? when Paul and Mary each had a different choice for elimination, and in order to find a way to break the tie they looked back to previous weeks. But again, they've never done that again, and they must have decided that it's important to the format to have everyone on an equal basis each week.

Without having any frame of reference for previous groups, I felt like this group seems to get on quite well (though I haven't seen the first three episodes yet. I might have to find them on iPlayer). They all seem like genuinely nice people, who are supportive of one another.  It doesn't seem cliquey either

It's true, and I think it's been true (overall) each season. That's one of the things that makes it such refreshing viewing after all our hateful American competition shows -- they all want to win, but that doesn't mean they can't be friendly and supportive with each other.

• Love 4

It's true, and I think it's been true (overall) each season. That's one of the things that makes it such refreshing viewing after all our hateful American competition shows -- they all want to win, but that doesn't mean they can't be friendly and supportive with each other.

I do not get this Me against Them mentality in most competitive shows. You can build a competitive rivalry with people you like. It seems natural that a group of people who all share the same passion about something would get along. I think American shows edit it for aggression and discourage friendship, but on most international competition shows like this, the contestants end up becoming friends. It's normal. Then again, I'm the kind of person who wants to be friends with (almost) everyone.

At the end of every series of this show, there is an episode dedicated to the previous series' contestants: where they are now and how the GBBO changed their life. I think a lot of the contestants are still in touch with one another.

• Love 6

I am sorry to see Ugne go.  She has had problems, unquestionably, but I like her adventurous side and that she wants to make things she likes, not necessarily what is expected.

I also found Paul shaping his sunbather to be hilarious - especially the shaping of the bikini bottoms.  

Yay for Nadiya!  I thought it was very sweet when she said that she's never proud of herself, but she was proud of herself this time.  

• Love 9

Chuffed to bits for Nadiya this week. I was sorry to see Ugne go but nothing really went to plan. She was lovely on Extra Slice, too. I'll miss her mad decorating skills and wild flavor combinations.

I was a little underwhelmed by the set bakes this week. There's usually something I would really want to eat or try to replicate, but nothing grabbed me this time.

Oval-shaped pittas are the usual kind in the UK.

Edited by ceebee

Yay Nadiya!! Fucking FINALLY. 

The women this year have been felled like corn. Last year Kate, Chetna and Martha provided a warmth that is a little missing this year, it's a shame. I respect the show for making it all about what's presented week by week, and Mary and Paul have said in interviews the day the producer advises them who to put through is the day they stop judging, but it's hard when my guys crash and burn.

I agree with you. Women normally fare quite well on this show but this season grows less and less interesting to me the more the ladies I root for start dropping like flies. Something tells me we're gonna get the inverse of season 4 with an all-male quarterfinal, because I can't see any of the men going out before Nadiya and Flora. Sigh.

Seeing the others' reactions to Ian winning star baker in the previous episode, and being told that he'd won three in a row, I wonder whether he actually deliberately underwhelmed in the first two, just to counter any potential resentment that might be caused. Smart move, if so.

The other contestants' reactions to Ian's third Star Baker actually surprised me, because last year a contestant won Star Baker a whopping FIVE TIMES and none of the others had anything to say about it in their talking heads, even in jest. Makes me wonder about how Ian comes across to them.

Edited by Niuxita
  • Love 3

Yay Nadiya!! Fucking FINALLY. 

I agree with you. Women normally fare quite well on this show but this season grows less and less interesting to me the more the ladies I root for start dropping like flies. Something tells me we're gonna get the inverse of season 4 with an all-male quarterfinal, because I can't see any of the men going out before Nadiya and Flora. Sigh.

The other contestants' reactions to Ian's third Star Baker actually surprised me, because last year a contestant won Star Baker a whopping FIVE TIMES and none of the others had anything to say about it in their talking heads, even in jest. Makes me wonder about how Ian comes across to them.

Yeah, this season is mirroring season three (one of my favourites actually) with the male domination. However, I hope Nadiya and Tamal are in it for a longer while.

I noticed that too. I think it has to be partly that the producers did ask. However, Richard from last season was incredibly well liked by the audience and the others. His streak was also broken up over the course of the show while Ian has struck it early on. I do agree that he seems less friendly with the others; it may be a personality difference and not any outright coldness. Nadiya and Paul seem popular with the group. We've seen them interact with each other and with the others a lot. Paul was sweet to help Alvin as well.

• Love 1

I realize it's a bit weird to put this link here, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers for US-only watchers.  I was looking at Nadiya's twitter feed, and she linked to a person who created a miniature of her ice cream roll: http://tuckshopjewellery.tumblr.com/post/128545065940/ok-so-week-5-is-heremy-fifth-miniature-make-in How freaking amazing! The person looks to be making miniatures weekly - so browse carefully on the tumblr or etsy if you're not caught up!

Edited by Pallida
  • Love 1

After last season's ice cream-gate meltdown, I was glad to see nothing majorly disastrous happened this week.

Paul definitely grew on me this week. Between offering to help Alvin with his (GIGANTIC) ice cream roll and then watching him put tiny fondant boobs on his bathing beauty (and then giggling with Mel about the loincloth vs. puting something between her legs), he really won me over.

I have tried a lot of dairy free ice cream and I agree that the ones made with soy milk have a noticeably different texture from real ice cream. Coconut Bliss is the best non-dairy ice cream I have tried. The weird thing is that I loathe the scent and flavor of actual coconut (there was a coconut flake incident in my childhood that permanently turned me from it) so the key thing for me when having ice cream made with coconut milk is choosing flavors that will mask the coconut flavor. Vanilla doesn't work for me because the coconut flavor is still dominant. I have had dark chocolate, strawberry, etc. that masked the coconut flavor.

I was cracking up/rolling my eyes when both Paul Hollywood and Mary made such a big deal about how he didn't think Ugne's flavor combination wouldn't work. Peanut butter and jelly? Yeah, totally unknown flavor combination there. Later when he admitted that it was good, I had more of the same reaction. SHOCKING that a flavor combination eaten by millions of elementary school kids every day is acceptable.

I think the design on Ugne's cake would have shown up more if there had been more contrast but that dark red on the brownish cake didn't stand out much. Ugne had a bad week. I felt bad when both her fruit cake and her ice cream cake had issues. But I love that she never lost her cool and just kept on. I give her credit for taking so many risks on her sugar free cake.

Loved when Sue asked Tamal if he was getting short on time and then told him all the things he needed to finish in the next half hour and he realized how ludicrous it was.

I was surprised that Mat wasn't eliminated this week. He has been circling the drain the last few weeks and his sponge looked really crispy. His ice cream cake ended up having almost no ice cream. When you do a Swiss roll, you either have to make a very thin layer of cake or not roll it too many times.

I liked that Ian and Nadiya made extra fillings for their ice cream cakes. I thought it was so cute when I saw that Nadiya had a spot of flour on her head scarf. She was so focused on her baking that she didn't notice it at all.

I already like chocolate and strawberry together but Nadiya also got points from me for not going with a tropical flavor combination. I get why the other bakers did it because it's wise to work with the flavors of your ingredients. I will have to try the basil seeds she used for her blueberry jam. I have used chia seeds similarly but never basil seeds.

• Love 3

I was cracking up/rolling my eyes when both Paul Hollywood and Mary made such a big deal about how he didn't think Ugne's flavor combination wouldn't work. Peanut butter and jelly? Yeah, totally unknown flavor combination there. Later when he admitted that it was good, I had more of the same reaction. SHOCKING that a flavor combination eaten by millions of elementary school kids every day is acceptable.

Remember that to Paul H, Americans have inherently despicable palates. Telling him that the peanut-butter-and-jelly combination is loved by millions in the US would almost be proof to him that it's no good.

• Love 8

Slight necro-bump as I catch up on the season.

I find Ian a little off putting.  And it seemed to me Nadiya winning the technical gave the rest of the group a bit of a jolt.  A nice one.  Despite Ian's run not being that huge I felt he came off as smug and superior the more he won.  So I wonder how much his run was weighing on the rest and once it was partly broken the rest seemed to stretch a little.

I loved the editing of Alvin just sitting there and then trying to spiff up his work station just for something to do.  Funny contrast to the Holiday show with the woman checking her face with her compact mirror.  I was so glad his cake was spot on. 

Paul cracking up with Mel was really fun to see.  I loved how silly he finally let himself be compared to the All Business Approach he had previously.

I know I don't like Paul Hollywood.  So I am biased.  He did annoy me with Ugne's grape and peanut butter.  He had not just scorn but this totally over the top disbelief as to certain 'American' flavor combinations and profiles when he did the American show.  Which then turned out on the CBS morning show he was on with his fellow paramour, I mean judge, he was completely familiar with and fine with (bacon with sweet).  I find him as phoney as his continuing John Boehner skin tone impression. 

• Love 3

Kind of felt bad for the judges having to eat all those workarounds this week.

I'm glad Alvin did well with his straightforward upside down cake. He was so nervous to be finished early! My mother made hers in a cast iron skillet so that the top slices were richly caramelized, so Alvin's looked a little anemic compared to what I'm used to.

I hope this signals a trend of Nadiya coming into her own overall.

I love Mary, I do, but she does have this weird thing against coconut, doesn't she? Like the best thing is when "the lime masks the coconut." (I will forgive her for thinking peanut butter and jelly a preposterous combination because I've always felt the same way. Yes, I am a bad American.)

Tamal just gets more and more delightful and yummy every week.

And Nadiya rises to the top! Hurray for her!!

• Love 5

Also thought that Alvin would get in trouble for his simple bake, especially with all that time left over.  I remember that happening in the holiday version.  Glad that he didn't.  I wonder if they made up that issue on the holiday episode to amp up the drama.

Cracked up that Paul's sunbather not only had boobs, but a penis.  Thought it was sweet that he helped out Alvin when his ice cream was overflowing.  Surprised Mat didn't get in more trouble considering that he basically made a Swiss roll.

I like Ugne, but I knew she was going home.  Chocolate and hazelnut is a win, but it looked like a mudslide.  And I actually thought Paul was criticizing her showstopper for three flavors: peanut butter, grape jam, and chocolate.  I would have balked at that, too.  PB&J is great, or peanut butter and chocolate.  But grape jam doesn't mesh with chocolate imo and regardless of the flavor, the final product still ended up a mess.

Very glad that Nadiya won.  Only one who really nailed the pita bread (why did they need to make 12, anyway?) and her showstopper rocked.  If Ian had won again...jeez.  That said, I feel like Tamal is really slept on.  I knew he wouldn't win SB because the sponge cracked, but he's consistently wowed the judges with his skill in incorporating flavors, like the mango from last week.

• Love 7

Ugne always overreached on her bakes, & that's why she went home. It was only a matter of time.

The showstoppers weren't up to their usual standard this week IMO. Everybody really seemed to have problems with it. I also wonder why everybody went with coconut milk, wouldn't have soy milk worked? Then at least they wouldn't have needed to cover up the coconut flavor.

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I like Ugne, but I knew she was going home.  Chocolate and hazelnut is a win, but it looked like a mudslide.  And I actually thought Paul was criticizing her showstopper for three flavors: peanut butter, grape jam, and chocolate.  I would have balked at that, too.  PB&J is great, or peanut butter and chocolate.  But grape jam doesn't mesh with chocolate imo and regardless of the flavor, the final product still ended up a mess.

I'm not sure about all 3 flavors together (but chocolate covered fruit is all over the place, plus raisins are just dried grapes) but this kind of demonstrated what the problem was with having Paul as a judge on the American version. He really doesn't understand American flavors. When he was talking about the peanut ice cream being wrapped in grape jelly he clearly didn't like it, an American judge would never not understand that flavor combination. 

• Love 4

I just can't get my head around the idea that someone would question peanut butter and grape jelly as a combination. I've had gourmet peanut butter and grape jelly chocolate bars, and they're amazing, so I don't accept the chocolate as a confounding factor. I agree that no one should judge American baking if they don't understand the brilliance of peanut butter and jelly. 

• Love 10

How did Flora's absolutely gorgeous cake from the signature not get more love? It's in the show credits, for fuck's sake. Paul and Mary did comment that it looked quite good, but I was looking for a stronger reaction, I guess. I thought it was stunning.

This season's contestants are really bringing it with regards to the use of edible flowers, gold leaf flakes and other decorating props. I think they all used flowers/petals on at least one of their bakes this week.

I know everyone loves Nadiya but her constant looks of worry, lip biting, covering her face with her hand, etc. are frustrating to watch week after week. Someone give that girl a pep talk and some reassurances! Her comment about never feeling proud of herself was so sad.

• Love 5

Nothing looked good to me this episode. I don't like dense, wet cake. I could live without coconut flavoring, though I do like coconut. 

I couldn't figure out what the technical bake was because they kept saying "pitta." :) 

• Love 2
(edited)

I would've thought this challenge to be right up Ugne's alley. She always thought outside the box and while the judges weren't always fond of her decorations, they always liked her flavors. But I think she took it a step too far. From limiting herself with what ingredients she'd use in the signature bake to (I guess - because since when does PB&J not go together?) her flavor combo in the show stopper, she wound up making more work for herself.

I was glad Alvin didn't fall into the trap of, when seeing how simple his cake was and how there was still a ton of time left, that he didn't give in to making something extra and risk ruining what he already made.

Whether or not she won Star Baker, I'm just happy for Nadiya finally doing really well on a technical challenge.

Edited by Winter Rose
  • Love 5
(edited)

PBS has made the decidedly evil decision to burn these episode off late on a Friday night.  Well, ten p.m. is probably not late by the standards of Friday night, but it is for the PBS crowd in general.  We get up at 5:30 a.m. with our dogs on a regular weekday, PBS, by 10:30 p.m. we're often eyeing up pillows instead of pitas.  

Speaking of, I can make pitas.  My one "yeah, I can do that" for this show tends to be breads, although I'm not saying they are competition worthy.  Or sometimes even worthy of consumption, but at least I can make them and those pitas looked like a nightmare to me.  That was some STICKY dough.  It's great that they all managed to get something pita-like out of the process.  

Poor Ugne, she completely won me over with her cheerful "burning flesh" from the brulee challenge and I'll miss her.  Tough to go out on the "So you've mastered a variety of techniques and ingredients just to be here....good for you!  Now make something out of stuff you've never worked with before last Friday!  Good luck with the weirdness!  Spelt anyone?  Also, Mary loathes all things coconut, so we've just given you an ice cream challenge where the most naturally creamy plant-milk will be starting off on a bad foot already!  Best wishes!  Be glad we didn't make you bake a pita over a candle or some such nonsense".   

Maybe PBS bumped the show to later because of Paul's fun with fondant bits and parts.   

I personally love Nadiya's facial gymnastics and was delighted that she won.  I totally want to team up with her and become the world's most easily spotted mischief makers.  Her eyebrows could practically take flight around the room while I fell down in a silly seizure just trying to order something vaguely bad for us at a cafe.  

Paul and Mel in gales of giggles over his beach babe were just the most delightful additions to our evening.  The baked goods....eh....not so much.  Don't get me wrong, I think making GF, Dairy-free, sugar-free stuff is interesting and really helps out people with various food allergies, health concerns, but to really turn out good results, you sort of have to focus on that type of baking.  I've eaten some awesome Vegan cakes, but I've also eaten ones that were pure punishment.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/22/2016 at 8:11 PM, Rinaldo said:

I love Mary, I do, but she does have this weird thing against coconut, doesn't she? Like the best thing is when "the lime masks the coconut."

I thought that comment was less about being anti-coconut and more about them all using coconut milk as their alternate base. So unless you announced your ice cream flavor as coconut, it was relevant that you mask the coconut so your thing tasted as advertised, not as coconutish whatever was promised.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:06 PM, GaT said:

I also wonder why everybody went with coconut milk, wouldn't have soy milk worked? Then at least they wouldn't have needed to cover up the coconut flavor.

They would've needed to cover up the soy flavor, which in my experience is more difficult.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:52 PM, Zuleikha said:

I just can't get my head around the idea that someone would question peanut butter and grape jelly as a combination. I've had gourmet peanut butter and grape jelly chocolate bars, and they're amazing, so I don't accept the chocolate as a confounding factor. I agree that no one should judge American baking if they don't understand the brilliance of peanut butter and jelly. 

PBJ is a super American thing, and it's known that Paul is not a peanut butter fan in general. I doubt he balked at the chocolate+peanut butter combo so much but it's the grape jelly in the mix that, to basically everyone in America, is a completely obvious combo, but other places...not so much. I was not surprised at the look on his face when she said it. He's often remarkably clueless about very common American flavor combos.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm not sure about all 3 flavors together (but chocolate covered fruit is all over the place, plus raisins are just dried grapes) but this kind of demonstrated what the problem was with having Paul as a judge on the American version. He really doesn't understand American flavors. When he was talking about the peanut ice cream being wrapped in grape jelly he clearly didn't like it, an American judge would never not understand that flavor combination. 

I can understand that.  PB&J is classic here in the US.  I'm not a big fan of grape jelly except on toast or in a sandwich, but maybe it could have worked with dark chocolate to offset the sweetness?  Not a fan of raisins either, lol.

How did Flora's absolutely gorgeous cake from the signature not get more love? It's in the show credits, for fuck's sake. Paul and Mary did comment that it looked quite good, but I was looking for a stronger reaction, I guess. I thought it was stunning. 

I thought that was her cake!  It was beautiful, with the madeleines tied neatly around the base.  It really did deserve more love.

• Love 3

Gosh, that was brutal.  They certainly tried to find the most ubiquitous ingredients and make the bakers come up with a substitute. While many results were pretty, there wasn't a one for which I searched for the recipe.  I'll keep my sugar and dairy, thank you very much.

And who the hell would want to go to the agony of making their own pita bread (except you, stillshimpy)?  Geez, that looks like WAY more trouble than it's worth.

I found Paul helping Alvin just delightful.  You'd never see that on an American show.  Contestants on this side of the pond cheer the misfortunes of other most of the time.  The camaraderie is just so refreshing. 

Hooray for Nadiya. I really like her.

The humorous bits were hilarious.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

Don't get me wrong, I think making GF, Dairy-free, sugar-free stuff is interesting and really helps out people with various food allergies, health concerns, but to really turn out good results, you sort of have to focus on that type of baking.

Yes, it's not just substituting ingredients. The chemistry often completely changes.

• Love 5

Her [Nadiya] comment about never feeling proud of herself was so sad.

I didn't hear that as lack of self-esteem or anything else negative.  I heard it as genuine modesty.  She doesn't seem to lack self-confidence any more than the others at various points.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Truly, I don't think Nadiya has any self-esteem issues, she's just modest and has a very expressive face.  She doesn't seem fretful or anxious at all, just expressive.  I love her and have a blast watching her myriad of expressions.   She is as likely to laugh and smile as she is anything else.  

And who the hell would want to go to the agony of making their own pita bread (except you, stillshimpy)?  Geez, that looks like WAY more trouble than it's worth.

It's actually super easy, believe it or not, just like any other bread making process, it's time-consuming.  Like a lot of things once you have the homemade version, it's sort of difficult to go back.  Admittedly as I kept urging the contestants to "Use a ROLLING PIN!!"  it struck me that the dough might not respond to it as easily as it does at home. What they were making pitas out of looked like a freaking task, man.  Homemade tortillas are actually the bomb too.   But normal pitas are really easy to do.  

Yes, it's not just substituting ingredients. The chemistry often completely changes.

Density and moisture issues are big ones too.  

On the coconut milk, part of the reason that is easily swapped in for ice cream is its fat-content.  This is a fairly repulsive word, but it's actually accurate too, there is an unctuous quality to coconut milk that is similar to heavy cream.  I'm about 90% dairy-free these days* and I swore up and down that once I found a good substitute for half-and-half I'd go all the way to dairy-free (still eat eggs and fish, because as much as I want to care about the inner lives of salmon, I'm pretty certain they don't have any of which to speak) ...I finally did find an awesome substitute that is a mixture of almond milk and coconut cream.  To imitate a creamy consistency you either have to work with a thickening agent or use something with a fat content similar to cream.  The only problem with coconut milk is DAMN but it hard freezes to ice crystals.  Not an issue for the challenge they were doing.  Frozen bananas work well too, but then you really have to work to cover up the banana, or lean into it with all your might. 

* Lest anyone fear that I am one of the scolds of the food world, nope.  Rock on, have at.  I just have a family history that encourages watching ye olde cholesterol carefully. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

PBJ is a super American thing, and it's known that Paul is not a peanut butter fan in general. I doubt he balked at the chocolate+peanut butter combo so much but it's the grape jelly in the mix that, to basically everyone in America, is a completely obvious combo, but other places...not so much. I was not surprised at the look on his face when she said it. He's often remarkably clueless about very common American flavor combos.

I'd just hope then that Paul's judging was based on a flavor combo that just didn't work vs. personal preference. It isn't always the case that when something tastes bad, it's because it wasn't made right. And I figure at some point every judge on any cooking show will have to taste things they know they don't like but still judge it fairly. I know that can be tough at times but I guess that's why they have more than one judge.

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I found Paul helping Alvin just delightful.  You'd never see that on an American show.  Contestants on this side of the pond cheer the misfortunes of other most of the time.  The camaraderie is just so refreshing.

I forgot to mention it but I loved that too, such sportsmanship. Even when competing against each other, they still want each other to do well.

Edited by Winter Rose
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I have made pita.  It is very easy - if you can use flour.  It's so cool when they puff up in the oven making the pockets.

It was the ingredients they couldn't use that made these challenges so difficult.

I will admit to laughing out loud at the shot of Paul's bikini clad, and yet penis-equipped sun bather.

• Love 2

Has anyone used those basil seeds that Nadiya used for thickening her jam?  I've never heard of them!  I'd like to try something with them but I imagine you have to buy a package that contains a trillion seeds which I would hate to waste.

59 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I frequentlly try sugar substitutes in dessert recipes for my mom, who's diabetic. After seeing the "sugar free" recipes last night, I commented that they may have technically be "sugar free," but they are not diabetic friendly. Hee!

Hee indeed! Yes, that needed to be understood -- these were not "recipes for those who can't eat sugar," they were about recalculating all the other elements and their reactions when the sweetening is coming from something other than actual sugar.

• Love 3

Re the recap

"Bless These British Dorks: Tamal says that Ian's continued victories are making everyone else "look a bit pants." Whose pants? Ian's pants? A clown's pants? MY pants?"

'pants' in this context is slang for bad.  So Tamal is saying that Ian is making everybody else look bad by comparison.

• Love 1

The Great British Baking Show

Season 3, Episode 5: Alternative Ingredients

The remaining bakers face baking challenges without sugar, gluten or dairy. The theme is using alternatives for ingredients usually used in baking. For the signature, the bakers are given the challenge of baking a cake without sugar. The technical challenge is to make 12 identical gluten-free pita breads. In the showstopper, the bakers make an ice-cream roll using dairy-free ice cream.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365777850/

====================================

The Great British Baking Show

Season 3, Episode 6: Pastry

With bread, biscuits and cakes complete, the bakers must now prove their pastry skills. For the signature challenge, the bakers make a frangipane tart that must be open-topped and use shortcrust pastry. In the technical, the bakers strive to make flauones – a cheese filled pastry made in Cyprus. Vol-au-vents are set as the Showstopper.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365777855/

Has anyone used those basil seeds that Nadiya used for thickening her jam?  I've never heard of them!  I'd like to try something with them but I imagine you have to buy a package that contains a trillion seeds which I would hate to waste.

You can get a package of chia seeds at Trader Joe's for very little and they also cause things to thicken.  Chia seed jam is fairly common.  Here's a link to recipes for chia seed jam :-)  Easy to find, cheap, super good for you and would do the same thing as basil seeds.  Flax seeds are an oiler form of thickener so they have a slightly different mouth feel and tend to be a stronger binding agent :)   

• Love 2