Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season One All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

In a way I thought Stephen dwelt too long on the grief subject, and yet I appreciated the in-depth discussion of it.

I also thought that what made it so unique - and fitting, I guess - is Colbert's own experience with grief. Losing his dad and brothers, adjusting to life with his mother in the "after." I think this interview felt special because it seemed like an intimate conversation between two men who have lived through something that most of us never will, and we just got to listen in for a few minutes.

• Love 19

I think this interview felt special because it seemed like an intimate conversation between two men who have lived through something that most of us never will, and we just got to listen in for a few minutes.

I desperately miss The Colbert Report, and will probably not be watching The Late Show with SC once the novelty wears off. But at that moment I was glad to have the opportunity to get to know the "real Stephen."

• Love 3

I'm realizing that Colbert's voice sounds fake to me, even when he's apparently being most sincere. He really mastered that "TV Announcer" sound, and it worked for his blowhard character, but it makes everything that comes out of his mouth sound fake, even when he's talking about loving his mom and I believe he means it.

It's actually similar to how Hilary Clinton sounds, always "on". Obviously they and everyone else in front of a microphone is "on" but contrast it with Biden, or even other late night hosts, and Colbert (and Hilary, and Al Gore) sounds like a canned voice.

I can't get it out of my head. Many years ago, he talked about how he didn't let his kids watch The Colbert Report when they were young, because he didn't want them to get confused and think he was being sarcastic when he was in dad mode. And it's true-- his voice sounds the same when he's sarcastic as when he isn't. I never noticed it before, because he was always being sarcastic anyway.

• Love 1

I'm loving the animated credits. Especial props go to the animators who so deftly captured Stephen's body movements for the wee rooftop Stephens. The one right before the Jon Batiste credit always dances!

I agree with those that think Stephen's (or the editors') honing on Biden's grief were making Performance out of something that might not ought to be. Nobody deserves to be required to cry on cue. (unless you're an actor in a crying scene, obvs)  On the other hand, I'd watch an hour of the two of them swapping their Irish moms' aphorisms. Maybe two.

• Love 1

I'm loving the animated credits. Especial props go to the animators who so deftly captured Stephen's body movements for the wee rooftop Stephens. The one right before the Jon Batiste credit always dances!

Clearly it's effects (because in real life you neither toss footballs between skyscrapers nor do you actually manage to get a Grand Piano on a rooftop), but I don't think it's via animators. I think that's really Stephen and Jon (and inside the Roosevelt Island Tram the Stay Human band), but greenscreened, then digitally inserted into the tilt-shifted real footage.

What a beautiful but gut-wrenching conversation with Joe Biden. I personally think he would be a good president but I hope he doesn't run. He is too open and real and good. The so-called Christian republican assholes would belittle and mock him for those qualities. And I would hate to see any more pain heaped on the Biden family.

• Love 5

I'm realizing that Colbert's voice sounds fake to me, even when he's apparently being most sincere. He really mastered that "TV Announcer" sound, and it worked for his blowhard character, but it makes everything that comes out of his mouth sound fake, even when he's talking about loving his mom and I believe he means it.

I can see this.  There was a video that went viral last year about him reading letters from teen girls asking for advice.  The first thing I noticed was how his voice was SO different!  It was so quiet and low and not "TV announcer."  

That said, I need that "blank 2016!" shirt.  

• Love 1

Clearly it's effects (because in real life you neither toss footballs between skyscrapers nor do you actually manage to get a Grand Piano on a rooftop), but I don't think it's via animators. I think that's really Stephen and Jon (and inside the Roosevelt Island Tram the Stay Human band), but greenscreened, then digitally inserted into the tilt-shifted real footage.

Here's a post someone made about the opening title segment:

https://medium.com/the-outtake/the-new-late-show-opening-is-amazzzziiinnngggg-c5de0cfa84a8

As they indicated, there's A LOT of stuff going on with A LOT of different techniques being used.  I'm going to try and keep an eye on the credits and see which EFX house did the work.  Usually they'll have some more 'inside baseball' information along with their reel on the house's website.  I suspect there will be some writeups in industry magazines or websites soon.  Very slick piece of work the more you look at it.

• Love 1

This writer-biographer, Jay Parini, has an article up at CNN praising Biden and the interview and calling Colbert, "the best interviewer in America." http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/11/opinions/parini-biden-colbert/index.html?eref=rss_latest

(rolling eyes)

Colbert's interview skills should neither be judged by the few real stinkers we've seen over the past few days NOR the one pretty good one with Biden. Mr.Parini is just looking for a hook for his article.

I loved the Joe Biden interview and the skepticism towards the Uber-guy (tuna sandwiches in the glove compartment was hilarious), but the entrances stage-right (left?) and crossing in front of the desk are super-awkward and need to stop.

• Love 3

Well, since Jimmy Fallon pretty much just gave Donald Trump an ass kissing like you wouldn't believe on The Tonight Show, I hope that sets the stage for Stephen to go after him like the asshole he is when he shows up here. And the best thing is he'll never expect it.

• Love 3

Okay, there'd be a lot less skepticism if they'd all been like tonight's episode.  The comedy bits were actually the weakest part of tonight's show, but BOTH interviews were great/engaging, as was the music and shtick with Paul Simon.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. I have no complaints. I honestly started out really not looking forward to turning this on (I couldn't make past the Biden interview last night. I couldn't go to sleep sad.), but this was the strongest episode so far as a typical fun late night talk show. If they can reproduce this, I'm in.

I've seen the articles saying Colbert is going to be less Letterman and more Charlie Rose. And honestly, that's not what I need before bed.

Whenever Amy Schumer is on a talk show, there always seems to be at least one moment when she floors the host.

Schumer was total shit on Graham Norton a while back, but this was a real good appearance for her.

I am finding the show so boring, I'm not sure I can stick with it for as long of a trial as I'd planned. It seems like there's just nothing happening, no content, hardly any laughs, it's so bland that I actually think it's blander than the other late night shows, which is saying a lot! I can't figure out if it's just his nerves, or if he really has nothing to say and is as bored by the whole thing as I am, but either way, I can't imagine sticking with this show unless it radically improves. It just has no energy.

• Love 1

the sooner the "Stephen, Stephen" chanting stops the better.

They've been doing "Larry, Larry, Larry" on The Nightly Show too, so it's spreading.  Wilmore has kind of been forced to come up with a new joke to handle it every night.

I am finding the show so boring, I'm not sure I can stick with it for as long of a trial as I'd planned. It seems like there's just nothing happening, no content, hardly any laughs, it's so bland that I actually think it's blander than the other late night shows, which is saying a lot! I can't figure out if it's just his nerves, or if he really has nothing to say and is as bored by the whole thing as I am, but either way, I can't imagine sticking with this show unless it radically improves. It just has no energy.

Four shows in is not a barometer of how successful a talk show will be. Stephen deserves time to get his footing in.

Stephen + Amy Schumer = FLOVE!

• Love 4

Stephen's desk monologue about the Clinton's campaign's "plans to be more spontaneous" and reliance on focus groups to determine relatability was as spot-on a critique of professional political consulting and "image making" as I have ever seen. Huzzah.

• Love 3

I know nothing of Toby Keith, but I liked his performance just fine.  He's got a good voice, even if the music isn't to my taste.  

In terms of Joe Biden, I don't think there was any exploitation of his grief.  As a nation, we seem to be so uncomfortable with honest displays of emotion, particularly from politicians.  Yet, we all seem tired, regardless of political affiliation, with the canned and scripted, streamlined, bumper-sticker talk from people in political office. 

I doubt Biden is going to run, but I do not doubt that his heart is broken beyond belief and I found his entire interview to be incredibly moving.  It's said that in our greatest strength lies our greatest weakness.  Too often Biden is judged on the flip side of that coin in his weakness, but in that interview he was proving the "greatest strength" part of that.  He's too often unguarded, he's not polished, he's animated by feelings as much as by intellectual process (which is not the same thing as being foolish).   

Anyway, in an age where I can barely look at any politician without suspecting that they've rehearsed nearly every word and deed beforehand, like an actor for a performance, I found Biden heartbreakingly real.  Even if they did a run through on that, or discussed what the topics at hand would be beforehand, there were moments that were so sincere, we were darned near blubbering around here.  

Clearly he didn't want to talk about his years as VP.  His priorities at this time, and perhaps always (again, greatest strength is often the same as our greatest weakness), his priorities are not political.   Clear the thing of which he is proudest is not a thing at all, but a person.  

I can handle a dose of sincere emotion and I didn't find a grieving father talking about his great admiration for his dead son maudlin at all.  Also, it was a treat to primarily forget politics when a politician was being interviewed.  

Then the Uber CEO came on and....uh....well, that was a hilariously discordant tone-shift.   

I did get a chance to watch the Musk interview and it seemed to me that both Stephen and Musk were being odd.  Stephen was overreacting to being corrected and Musk -- who spends most of his life explaining things to other people -- couldn't seem to dial it back in that interview. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 10

I wish he had pushed a bit more on the answer, also for examples of where they've "waived that altogether" and apparently charged nothing at all in certain emergencies. Because, really, where? when? I had never heard that about uber rates doing that and would have liked to hear more.

When the Sydney Lindt Cafe siege was happening last December, word spread very quickly on Twitter that Uber fares around the city centre had gone way up. There was a huge outcry and within a couple of hours (from memory), Uber announced that they would offer free rides and put on extra cars for anyone needing to get out of the CBD. Here is one report about it.

Edited by purist
  • Love 1

Well, I tried...I was never that huge of a fan of the Colbert Report..didn't watch it that often but I jsut can't get into it...

I think Colbert needs a sidekick..and not just because everyone else does but because it might make him seem more down to earth...

His self-centeredness is really distracting to me...I just can't get into a guy that loves himself that much..Fallon has the same vibe but it's colored by a sense of giddiness that he has learned to fake well..plus, Higgins helps the comedy over there...

I'm sure the Colbert Nation will love him no matter what...and I am glad for them that their hero is back...

For me, it's just not my thing..I miss Dave...I miss the NYC jokes...I miss the quiet nod to 9/11 last night...14 years later, it just seems business as usual in Late Night..With Dave, the ghosts of 9/11 were still there...

For the record, I hated Fallon right out of the gate..thought his show on Late Night was horrible..and then tuned in a year later and found myself really enjoying it....although he seems repetive now...

It may take awhile for Colbert to find his true voice...I'll come back and see if he has it...

I may just stick to Dave clips onYou Tube...

• Love 1

I thought he had a great week and ended very strong last night. The political comedy has made the point without being too biting for (what I'm guessing) is an audience with many people who have little idea who he is/was on TCR. I really loved the ripping on the plans for the new spontaneous and sincere and warm and funny HRC (and the aides who thought it was helpful to send that info out to the press). 

Great contrast with Biden, who gets points for just not being a phony whose every move requires political consultants' advice. I've almost forgotten how Biden used to seem arrogant and like a pompous windbag at times, back during his own campaigns. He seems more humble now, has lost the stuffy Senate mannerisms--whether that's from being VP for 7 years or because of Beau I don't know but it's a lovely change.

Amy Schumer and Stephen were so funny together and--not sure where I've been, as I can't remember seeing an interview with Stephen King before, but he was funny, too. I enjoyed his "bogeyman" story (esp. v. what was happening over on Fallon) and SCs interviews with both of them seemed more like real conversations than some of the past ones. I actually hope he'll continue doing skits with the guests, random or not, they're entertaining and its fun to see him acting with a "big star". 

Jim Gilmore should send a donation to SC's charity of choice because I began the week with no idea who he was (accd to the polls, along with 99% of America) and now recognize his photo. "Colbert bump" and its only week 1.

Paul Simon was a treat for me, esp. since I was really expecting a tribute band. I thought it was an excellent first week, with the opening show being understandably the weakest, though still okay, and ending strong.

• Love 5

It was a pretty solid first week.  I do think he's going to stick with the political desk talk for a while because it's something he's used to and comfortable with (and you know...blank 2016.) I think the more pop culture/viral stuff will develop over time.  

• Love 1

Stephen seems to be getting more comfortable with each show. His interviewing has improved. The Clooney and ScarJo ones were stiff, but the Amy Schumer interview was looser and more fun. Of course, the Biden interview was outstanding but I think that's because he and Biden have so much in common. I never saw Stephen King interviewed before either, but the guy was funny-- especially when he kept teasing Stephen with his giant medal.

I enjoy the political segments-- mostly because they feel a lot like his old show. I also really liked the coffee skit with Laura Linney. I love that kind of weird, dark humor (it was hilarious when she just lay down on the floor next to him as he continued to make tomorrow's coffee) but I wonder if that kind of humor has general appeal.

I'll probably continue to check in every now and then and see how the show is doing like I do with Larry's show. Like the Nightly Show, I think it'll improve over time.

Al Gore had a kid (much younger than Beau) die, too, and when he talked about his grief he got the same criticism for "exploiting" the situation. At the time, I thought it was because Gore always seemed so "on", but if Biden gets the same critique, it must be a more general response. I'm trying to figure out what kind of monster would not be devastated by the death of their child, and how someone in that position would be allowed to handle it without receiving criticism. Don't speak of it, speak of your sorrow, speak with a stiff upper lip? I think it's the kind of thing where we need to give people some slack for how they handle it. It's the kind of thing anyone would find hard to go through in or out of the public eye.

• Love 3

Al Gore had a kid (much younger than Beau) die, too, and when he talked about his grief he got the same criticism for "exploiting" the situation. At the time, I thought it was because Gore always seemed so "on", but if Biden gets the same critique, it must be a more general response. I'm trying to figure out what kind of monster would not be devastated by the death of their child, and how someone in that position would be allowed to handle it without receiving criticism. Don't speak of it, speak of your sorrow, speak with a stiff upper lip? I think it's the kind of thing where we need to give people some slack for how they handle it. It's the kind of thing anyone would find hard to go through in or out of the public eye.

Agree with this.  I think Gore's son was seriously injured in a wreck but did survive.  Regardless I think Biden and Stephen share similar grief (although losing a child is different than losing a parent and siblings, but grief nonetheless) and maybe this was a safer venue than a political debate or town hall meeting.  

I think it's the kind of thing where we need to give people some slack for how they handle it. It's the kind of thing anyone would find hard to go through in or out of the public eye.

Plus, I think it has to be even more difficult than it would normally be to lose a grown child, in the prime of life, because Beau did survive that initial tragedy when Joe Biden's wife and daughter were killed and his other son, Hunter also survived.  On the dark humor note in our household, my husband marveled, "How can that guy not be a drinker?"  

I just can't even imagine how much that would compound the pain.  Not that it would be easy in any circumstance, but there had to be a time when Biden viewed Hunter and Beau as miracles.  I'm not a person of faith, but he is and I guess that's part of why I have a lot of tolerance for how profound his grief would be.  Plus, he clearly lost one of his own personal heroes and I swear, it looks like it's aged him ten years. 

Biden has his faults, we all do, but all politics entirely aside, I couldn't help but cry for the man.  I didn't mind that he was showing how shattered he was, while still having a lot of dignity.  Plus, if I had to take a guess? Joe Biden had hoped his son would some day be the president, which would be the least of his grief, but considering Joe Biden's entire career, would contribute to the pain. 

Anyway, I'm going to move on from the subject because it's so crushingly sad.  I have a friend who lost a child many years ago, and she told me that now whenever anyone experiences a loss she knows there's nothing truly helpful to be said, so she just says, "I wish I could take away your pain" to people who are grieving.  I thought about that a lot when Biden was on.  

It was a good first week I thought. It had it's high points and low points (Musk and Uber-man tied for those, for me) .  The biggest thing I noticed was that the tone of the entire week was all over the place even in the episodes themselves.  Swinging kind of wildly between farcical, fairly serious, oddly stilted and vaguely confrontational (that Musk interview was just weird) and then deeply moving.  It really got to me when Biden brought up Stephen's father and brothers.  

But yeah, you'd sort of need a superball to chart the emotional scale on the show.  So it was a good start, I felt, but I hope it finds a better rhythm.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 7

I don't think Biden got any criticism for talking about Beau. It was criticism of Stephen for continuing to ask him about it when, at times, it seemed too painful for television and as if he would like to move on to something else. MMV, of course, but that's why I thought it was "too much", because Biden seemed so vulnerable and unfiltered and you hope that emotion isn't being exploited for "good television". (I'm not saying it was or wasn't, but that's why it felt uncomfortable to me at a certain point).

As for Gore, I never felt he talked much about his son's accident at all. Maybe part of that was because, if I'm remembering correctly, he was there on the street with him, let go of his hand for a minute, and the little boy was hit by a car. Luckily, he was okay, but I can understand why that's not something you would want to talk about.

• Love 1

Schumer was total shit on Graham Norton a while back, but this was a real good appearance for her.

Wow, I thought she was terrific on Graham Norton.

Yes, she was great with Colbert, but she's like a talk show's best friend. She's just naturally good at being entertaining.

There was an article yesterday about how Colbert is great with politicians and tech people but terrible with celebrities.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/stephen-colberts-late-show-joe-822240

I wouldn't classify Schumer in the "celebrity" category even though she is one. She knows how to play a crowd.

Colbert's true test will be if he can handle celebrities who aren't natural with audiences. He's proven he can do it with politicians.

It was criticism of Stephen for continuing to ask him about it when, at times, it seemed too painful for television and as if he would like to move on to something else. MMV, of course, but that's why I thought it was "too much", because Biden seemed so vulnerable and unfiltered and you hope that emotion isn't being exploited for "good television".

Ooooh, okay.  Now I get what you're saying, Padma and it's a fair enough point, I think.  I thought Stephen was trying to give Joe Biden a chance to tell the world his "my son was a great man" stories though.  The parts that were killing me when was when Joe said he hoped he didn't sound like "just some proud dad" (or something to that end, suggesting that he feared other people wouldn't think it was with good reason outside of being his father).  I truly don't think Stephen was doing that though.   

When someone dies, a lot of the times people say things like, "Oh my God, I'm so sorry.   What happened?"  and that's often the last thing people want to detail again, but they do long for the chance to talk specifically about the person when they were alive and detail the reasons they miss them and why.  So that's the way I perceived it.  Stephen never asked, "Were you with him...." or "How long did you know..." or any of those "dig at the wound" type of questions.  Just the "what was he like"  "talk about his life" things.

here was an article yesterday about how Colbert is great with politicians and tech people but terrible with celebrities.

Ha!  See, I thought the two tech interviews were just near face-plants all around.  Interesting read though!  Although, I actually really like the furry hat thing.  I may just have weird taste :-) 

ETA:  Wow, so Donald Trump next week and Ted Cruz?  I may have to compression wrap my head so that it is less likely to explode. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 5

Wow, I thought she was terrific on Graham Norton.

My recollection of it was that while she had a lot to say on it, it was TOO much. She frankly had no grasp on the fact that it was a multi-guest setup and veered into Robin Williams territory (in a bad way, not a good one) with taking over the whole thing. She just talked over everyone (including the host). It was situational to that weird guest setup, but it just wasn't a good appearance for her IMO. Versus this one with Stephen, which was a simple one-on-one give and take, and which was good.

I was super excited to have Stephen back on the air but thought that the first couple episodes were rough and I was a little worried--but I think Friday's was the best yet. It still isn't quite the show I was expecting, but I thought it was the closest so far and smoothest and Stephen got to dabble a little bit more in what he's best at. There was more of a Report vibe in places. I'm not saying the show needs to be 100% like the Report, but the show was successful for a reason... So I'm hopeful that Stephen will eventually find what's working best. I just hope that it doesn't result in dumbing down the show too much for the masses.

As for Gore, I never felt he talked much about his son's accident at all. Maybe part of that was because, if I'm remembering correctly, he was there on the street with him, let go of his hand for a minute, and the little boy was hit by a car. Luckily, he was okay, but I can understand why that's not something you would want to talk about.

He did discuss this in his acceptance speech for Vice President at the 1992 convention. (He talked about his sister's death by cancer in 1996 at his acceptance speech in 1996.) I remember thinking it was exploitative at the time, because Gore had a formal "stiff" reputation and it came off as if he was being advised to talk about these things to make him "human." But that goes to a bigger problem in that in the modern era we are far too interested in a candidate's personal life. An election should be an executive job interview. Character should matter of course but it should be evident from one's deeds and not from personal tragedies, which we all experience. Did JFK talk about his stillborn baby or his wife's miscarriage when he ran in 1960? Or did George HW Bush talk about losing his little girl to leukemia when he ran?

In this case, I don't blame Biden - this death is recent and public. Nor do I blame Colbert for asking, for the same reason. I guess I am somewhat put off by the media for trying to reduce a personal tragedy as some sort of "political tea leaves reading."

• Love 1

I thought last night's show was the best of the week. Both interviews were much more relaxed and enjoyable, though a big part of that is due to the guests themselves. Schumer was fantastic. (I never noticed it before, but she reminds me of Melissa McCarthy with some of her mannerisms and facial expressions.) Loved Stephen's reaction when he pushed his chair out of the camera frame.

Stephen King was a bit awkward, but it was rather endearing, I thought. I did wonder if the whole bogeyman conversation had been planned or completely ad-libbed. I hope it was ad-libbed.

I enjoyed Paul Simon's appearance and that whole shtick, and of course was surprised that Troubled Waters was not really a cover band. I also got a big kick out of the guitarist behind Stephen cracking up at his dancing.

The desk bits were very funny. Loved it all, esp since it was so TCR-ish. The coffee video was pretty good. Laura Linney was great.

I've become fond of the opening where Stephen comes out dancing. I love his high chorus kicks. Oh, and I loved when he asked the band if they liked Paul Simon, and they and Stephen just went on and on. I thought it was hilarious, but the audience didn't seem to appreciate it as much as I did.

So, you can definitely see Stephen learning and adjusting as the show progresses, and that's terrific.

His self-centeredness is really distracting to me...I just can't get into a guy that loves himself that much.

That's an act. His "Stephen Colbert" character on his previous show was a right-wing, blowhard narcissist. I think on the first or second show this week he told a guest that he was just a narcissist now.

• Love 1

Verdict: I'll stick with the show until Trevor Noah starts on The Daily Show. I am a rat, conditioned to watch Comedy Central's nighttime schedule. I'd also be open to going to a taping, though I'm not sure when would be a good time. I can't remember the last time I saw Letterman live, and I barely recall seeing Stephen up close. I'm betting he doesn't apologize in advance like he did on TCR.

• Love 1

The coffee sketch with Laura Linney was the funniest bit of the week, IMO. It was kind of like one of those SNL parody commercials, but better (how could it not be, with Laura Linney!).

I'm in the minority regarding Amy Schumer because I felt the interview came across as overly scripted -- it didn't feel spontaneous to me at all. The bit about living in Jake Gyllenhaal's apartment that led into the queued-up clip of her eating the cake. And she's told the Katie Couric phone story several times before. I wish she'd just come on with no pre-interview, no set-up bits, but that's not how late night talk shows roll these days.

From what I've read, last night's Fallon segment with Donald Trump was an embarrassment, so I hope Colbert's has some edge.

I loved the Joe Biden interview and the skepticism towards the Uber-guy (tuna sandwiches in the glove compartment was hilarious), but the entrances stage-right (left?) and crossing in front of the desk are super-awkward and need to stop.

This crossing the stage thing for the guest looks really awkward to me, too.  I always thought it made more sense for the guest to come from the other side.   I liked the setup that Dave had.

Stephen's interviews on TCR were one of my favorite segments (as long as it wasn't a celebrity).  I think he is the best interviewer on TV.  I used to skip Jon Stewart's interviews most of the time because they were usually celebrities.  I love that Stephen is doing different things on his show so far.

As so many people have already said, I love the opening credits.