Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: The House That Jeff Built

Jeff focuses on starting a family, but he's reluctant to bring a newborn home to the continuous bickering between Gage and Zoila. Meanwhile, Jeff sets out to buy more properties and expand his home-flipping business. The Season 8 finale.

Jeff said on WWHL, that the baby was happening "soon".   

I am so glad that they made some peace between Gage and Zoila, it breaks my heart to see Zoila unhappy.   

Fingers crossed that everything goes well for them.  I'm on Jennie's side --I think this is going to be wonderful for all of them.

Alianna is adorable--she's getting so big!

• Love 1

Why does Jeff always have such bitchy clients?  Ugh..I'm nice and I don't think I can deal with people like that.

As far as Zoila and Gage she's way out of line.  I didn't hear Gage talk nasty to her but I heard her be nasty back to him.  Maybe it's me....

• Love 8
As far as Zoila and Gage she's way out of line.  I didn't hear Gage talk nasty to her but I heard her be nasty back to him.  Maybe it's me....

Not just you. I think Zoila's definition of Gage being nasty to her is him asking her to do something for him.

After her behavior tonight, frankly I think Zoila is just gross, and I can't believe Jeff coddled her when I think he should have confronted her about how she speaks to Gage. If Jeff had made it clear that Gage is his partner and he expects Zoila to treat him with respect that would have been the end of it. If I had a maid and she spoke to my partner like that she'd be out on her ass pretty quick. And if my partner allowed someone to speak to me like Zoila spoke to Gage and said nothing about it, I'd be out the door pretty quick.

I've really enjoyed this season, but this episode was a big let down. I've muted Zoila all season, and between her and Jenny's "poopy" rap song, I feel like I muted most of the episode.

• Love 12

I really can't stand Zoila. I'm hoping a lot of that crap is played up for the show or I'd kick her ass out.

Why was that client throwing a tantrum? She asked Jeff to come and decorate. "Ew, books. Oh my God, gold and brass." Geez, woman.

• Love 5

Zoila has crossed the line with Gage all along.  And if their dream of having a baby comes true, guess what Zoila, it's Gage's child just as much as it is Jeff's.  No doubt there's going to be problems.  Bottom line is that this is all Jeff's fault for letting this happen.

• Love 11

Did they not show Jeff working on Brian Austin Green's and Megan Fox's house on this episode (the basketball court, etc)?  They are reportedly splitsville.  I wonder if he will get paid or even finish the job on camera.

Zoila has been with Jeff since he was 28, I personally think she has earned some respect and he has stated he does not want to lose her.  If he didn't like her, she would not have been a part of his life for so long.  Gage does not own the company and he is not the boss of her, as far as I can tell from the show.

• Love 1

Gage and Jeff have been together for six years that also deserves respect. Zoila is the housekeeper for the house that Gage lives in so the relationship is not the same as in a company and I have never seen Gage be anything but polite to Zoila the reverse is not true. She goes out of her way to treat him badly because she is jealous.

• Love 11

I can't decide whether I hated watching the video shoot or Jenni's actual video more. So nasty. I don't enjoy kids on TV very much and I'm dreading what a baby will do to any future seasons of this show. It will be a real-life Cousin Oliver.

Judi has basically the textbook on modern furniture on display in her house, and some fantastic art too, but those southwestern pots were out of place. Jeff was right about that.

Loved the tiny glimmers of devotion between Jeff and Gage tonight.  I find it fascinating that we see Jeff hug every client he has but we never seen him so much as put his hand on Gage's back.  If they didn't tell us they were in a relationship there would be no evidence.

I think Jeff secretly enjoys the Gage/Zoila fights because they are essentially pissing matches over Jeff.  If he didn't he would have put a stop to it a long time ago.  Editing is never objective but last night certainly made it appear that Zoila is by far the biggest offender.  She was the instigator every time and the first to rush to anger. 

And not to be ugly, but if she's been with Jeffrey in this country for that long, why isn't her English any better?  Is it her age? I know it's easier to learn the younger you are....

Edited by Mama No Life
  • Love 6

It looks like all Jeff is willing to do is appease the nasty bitch, Zoila by telling her how much she is loved and appreciated.  Gage has to "stop pushing her buttons".  But Zoila doesn't have to treat Gage with a modicum of respect by not constantly calling him "Bitch"?  I do not see this ending well, despite their alleged détente.

Jeff needs to grow a pair, before she poisons his child with her hateful attitude.

• Love 7

Zoila does what she does because she is a mini-Jeff. She takes his cues on how to treat people.

Gage works hard and his work is part of what keeps Jeff afloat. He appears to be essential in the business and he is entitled to politeness and respect.

I sincerely hope no child is subjected to Jeff. A poster said that Jenny and Gage will give the child love. That's crazy. Jenny has her own child to raise. And that is not her job.

• Love 4

Zoila is seething with jealousy over Gage being more important in Jeff's life than she is. From the beginning Zoila has treated Gage horribly. It is like she is five years old with all the tantrums she throws based on her jealousy. Jeff should have shut that crap down years ago, but as mentioned already I think he thrives on them fighting over him. I've never thought she was funny and I think the show would benefit from leaving her rude lazy ass off camera.

I wish Jeff would retire her off to her mother's house. I'm sure he would keep her financially comfortable in her retirement years. It would be great if she found her way to this site and others to get a chance to see how some of the public views her.

• Love 7

Watching Gage/Zoila/Jeff is like watching a mom who doesn't want her son to get married to that girl who she thinks is not good enough and wants to take her baby away. 

I agree Jeff loves it because he likes when there is drama around him and over him. Gage is not a warm person so he is never going to have the relationship with Gage that she has with Jeff. Jeff said on WWHL that Zoila will always be with him, even after she retires. Part of me thinks she plays it up for the cameras. 

Is everyone in Palm Springs  over 70? Geez....

• Love 3

I agree Jeff loves it because he likes when there is drama around him and over him. Gage is not a warm person so he is never going to have the relationship with Gage that she has with Jeff. Jeff said on WWHL that Zoila will always be with him, even after she retires. Part of me thinks she plays it up for the cameras. 

I don't get why Jeff won't let her go. She's older now, she has a daughter and apparently a mother that is still alive. I'm sure she will have grandchildren of her own one day. She needs to go be with them. I'm sure Jeff would pay her a handsome pension type deal for the rest of her life. Things are only going to get worse when the baby comes. Much, much worse. That might be the final straw for Zoila. I couldn't stand living with the tension in that house. Jeff has serious issues. He is the one keeping Zoila there, putting a guilt trip on her about how badly he needs her,  despite how she treats Gage. Of course we were not privy to the entire conversation but I did not hear Jeff defend Gage once to Zoila's face. Did he tell her to stop calling his partner a bitch and being so defensive every time Gage opens his mouth? Don't think so. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 7

I love Zoila and have since the beginning. I think she struggles with where she fits in Jeff's life with Gage's presence, and I worry her anxiety will get way worse when the baby comes. I believe her when she says she sees Jeff as a son. I think the baby will either bring them closer together or rip them apart and send Zoila into retirement.

I blame Jeff way more than I do Zoila and Gage for the tension. I think he secretly (or not so secretly) enjoys that they are essentially fighting over who gets to keep him.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 5

Zoila is disgusting.  Gage is her boss whether she want to admit it or not.  

Her calling him a bitch is so unacceptable, IMO its the equivalent of her calling him the F word used by assholes to describe a gay man.   I watch  A LOT of reality TV and I've never felt so turned off by someone as I do with Zoila.  She should be fired from Jeff Lewis Designs STAT!!

• Love 8

Jeff is so dysfunctional himself, and his relationship with Gage is dysfunctional, so of course he loves this and doesn't see it as a problem. 

I think a LOT of it is played up for the cameras, especially Zoila's "funny" remarks about Gage. And I think Gage is more annoyed by it than he is hurt by it. But Zoila really does treat him poorly. I think she saw him as a young pretty boy who wouldn't last, but their relationship is serious and she hasn't been able to get over that initial view of him. 

It's all Jeff's fault of course, but neither of them are going to say "Choose him/her or me" so he just won't. 

• Love 8

I also don't get why Jenni kisses Zoila's butt and coddles her fake crying. She should be able to see through that. Maybe it's producer driven but I'd tell them to buzz off.

I don't see it as Jenni kissing Zoila's butt at all. I think it's her nature to comfort others. Even if she thought Zoila was wrong with the Gage situation, I don't think she would ever just ignore her.

• Love 5

This was a singularly unpleasant episode. Zoila behaved abominably - I felt sorry for Gage. I don't understand why she doesn't live with or near her own family.

And that gawdawful video shoot...and the finished product.

The whiny Palm Springs client...rich people's problems. But I was coveting her Acoma pottery. I have a few modest pieces.

• Love 4

Gage has come a long way since he started--people didn't like him when he first came on the show and gradually, I think partly because of the love of that big house and wanting to start a family, he's really warmed up and people really changed how they felt about him.

I think Zoila feels threatened by someone else being close to Jeff, and I also think it bothers her when she perceives Gage is trying to be her boss.  I have never thought he was unpleasant or impolite, but I can understand how she hears it.  He is a very detached person and I think if she talks back, he won't stop and back down and it just causes her to get upset.   Jeff has had other guys before Gage, so I think how he's stayed and become such a permanent part of their lives has really thrown her.   It probably shouldn't but it did.   Her anger and cursing are definitely inappropriate, and I think that's Jeff not having very solid boundaries with his employees, and probably  at first he'd laugh and think it was funny so it got out of control.

I think with so much changing --the moves, Gage being a permanent part of their lives, and possibly a baby coming---that she feels very threatened.  I can remember before Gage, when Jeff was partners with Ryan, and he'd play with Chloe, that he would talk about having a kid and Zoila being the nanny.   I think Jeff ended things back then ( I think they've made peace since) with Jeff feeling very betrayed by Ryan, so Zoila probably is also worried about someone else getting close and hurting him.

I think Jeff and Jenni did a great job of letting Zoila get some of her pent up feelings out, and getting her to open up to accepting Gage a little more.  I really get them saying that they are not people who talk about their feelings, and are not touchy feely people, but I saw a huge change when they started referring to themselves as a family--all three of them --and Jenni is part of that as well.   

There is something about the way that Jeff is with people he loves--I love the way he sees the flaws in his dad and brother, but he is very loyal to them, and how he takes such care of his grandma, and Zoila---probably no one in her life has ever taken care of her the way Jeff has.   He's a jerk sometimes, and he certainly is odd, but I'm a very odd person and quirky, so I get him.   And I think Gage is a good person for him in that he will speak up to Jeff.   He's done  a wonderful job of helping to grow their business, and Jeff respects him, and I hope this all works out for all of them.

Eta--Jeff said recently that Zoila will NOT be the nanny--that he'll get someone and Zoila will "supervise"--I think he knows she's past being a full-time caregiver to a small child,.   It may be a step toward retirement for her that she can be as involved as she wants but she maybe has less pressure.    

Edited by car54
  • Love 3

Zoila is a straight-up bitch. Whenever Gage asks her to do something she flips out and starts swearing.  Calling him a bitch over and over, then bawling in the bathroom?  Time to retire.  Wow.  Even worse was Jeff excusing it all and basically blaming Gage.

I pity whatever child has to be raised by Jeff.

• Love 4

I wonder if there was something big that happened way back when between Gage and Zoila that set this tone for her when it comes to dealing with Gage.  If not, I truly cannot understand why Zoila is always so immediately hostile towards him and blows up over any little thing.  It could've been editing (doubt it), but I didn't see what made her so pissed off in a split second during their lunch this episode.  So bizarre and so unfortunate.  I'd like to give Zoila the benefit of the doubt that when a baby comes into the family, she will not treat him/her anywhere near the same way she treats Gage.  As a mother herself, I'm sure she understands the love and innocence of a child and wouldn't see him/her as a "threat" the way she apparently sees Gage.  Technically, Gage is "dispensable"; a child of Jeff's is not.  I really believe that she'll love and care for any child of Jeff's, and will do what she can for as long as she can.  I just hope she and Gage can come to some loving understanding before the child arrives because this hostility between them has clearly gone way too far for far too long already.

Edited by LIGirl
  • Love 2

Gage was in Jeff's life for a couple of years before we ever saw him. It makes me wonder how the relationship was with Zoila before he came on the show. Zoila wasn't as brash and nasty until Jeff encouraged her to be. And Gage was awkward and uptight at first.

Zoila is filling a MIL-like role to Jeff,Jenny said as much. My own MIL was a hard nut to crack and although I knew she loved me, she was very hard on me for years. It got better after I had a baby, but even then,she was not very loving towards me. When my FIL had took ill, I stayed by her side for months. Driving her to the hospital then rehab every single day. She was so grateful and we bonded like never before. This was after 16 years!! After my FIL passed, I continued a wonderful,loving relationship with my MIL until her death 2 years later. I always showed her respect and took a lot of digs in those early years. The payoff was worth it.

I realize that Zoila isn't Jeff's mother,but he loves her, and has lost his own mother. Gage doesn't deserve abuse,name calling and getting the middle finger,but it's up to him to keep the peace. They will bond someday. I do think they love each other.

• Love 2

I don't for a hot minute buy all this "one must bow to the almighty 'MIL' bitch and kiss her ass until she deigns to accept you" bullshit.  The "MIL" is the one who must accept her "son's" choice of mate, or move the fuck over and shut the fuck up.  In this case, Zoila's the one who needs to change and work at a relationship, not Gage.  He seems more than reasonable and understanding; she ... does not.

• Love 6

Zoila may be Jeff's surrogate mother but she's also the hired help. Unless Jeff makes it very clear to everyone that Zoila's purpose is to take up space and collect a paycheck and to do nothing for anyone else, including treating them with the minimal respect, then Zoila needs to go leech off her daughter. I can't imagine being Gage and being expected to put up with Zoila's demented behavior. I guess it doesn't bother Gage that much or he would have left. What should concern Gage is that Jeff's loyalty is with Zoila not him.

• Love 5

I agree. I'd be concerned with how Zoila would treat Gage's baby too. I know some people think she has a deeply hidden heart of gold, but, I see her as a nasty piece of work. An opportunist that is threatened by Gage.

• Love 7

I feel that Zoila and Jeff's relationship is very much that of a son and mother.  I have always loved their relationship on screen.  Before Gage was in Jeff's life we saw some snippets of Jeff and Zoila sharing dinner and watching television after everyone had left for the day.  Something struck me in this finale (I can't quite recall the wording exactly, blame the vodka) but Gage asked Zoila if she would be eating with them that night.  

Not that it is forgivable to speak to Gage as Zoila has, but I imagine it would be a tough pill to swallow to go from the person that Jeff spent his downtime with to then be relegated to the sidelines, right or wrong. Jeff and Gage would likely spend their time after the work day was over eating dinner, conversing and watching television together before going to bed as every couple does. Zoila likely felt left out. There is A LOT of resentment there. It should have been addressed a long time ago. 

I love the relationship with Jeff and Zoila. She fulfilled the role of mother for him and he clearly loves and values her in his life, always has. There are a lot of mixed messages in his behaviour toward Gage and someone feeling hurt could pick up and run with that. She's human and imperfect, but she has always cared for Jeff as her son. 

I watched the episode online so I guess my upload didn't include the poo in the potty video.  I'm not missing it. At all. 

That video shoot was a shit show.

• Love 3

Zoila may be Jeff's surrogate mother but she's also the hired help. Unless Jeff makes it very clear to everyone that Zoila's purpose is to take up space and collect a paycheck and to do nothing for anyone else

She's a cast member. And I am surprised so many are mistaking bad acting for demented rivalry.  I have no doubt that she means the world to Jeff, yet I suspect nearly all the back-n-forth between Mother Figure and Boyfriend is plotted/scripted/planned storyline.  For the past few seasons we have seen that Zoila has underlings/staff who do most if not all of the work.  I also vaguely recall hearing a couple seasons ago that she spent a lot of time living with her daughter.  The producers (and Jeff) merely import her into the household dynamic for the 3-4 months that they tape a "season". I have no proof or evidence, but I suspect she is only onsite for a limited time and is encouraged/coached to snark at Gage for no reason in particular.  After all, she needs as storyline.

• Love 1

She's a cast member. And I am surprised so many are mistaking bad acting for demented rivalry.  I have no doubt that she means the world to Jeff, yet I suspect nearly all the back-n-forth between Mother Figure and Boyfriend is plotted/scripted/planned storyline.  For the past few seasons we have seen that Zoila has underlings/staff who do most if not all of the work.  I also vaguely recall hearing a couple seasons ago that she spent a lot of time living with her daughter.  The producers (and Jeff) merely import her into the household dynamic for the 3-4 months that they tape a "season". I have no proof or evidence, but I suspect she is only onsite for a limited time and is encouraged/coached to snark at Gage for no reason in particular.  After all, she needs as storyline.

I hope that's the case for Gage's sake. 

• Love 1

The producers (and Jeff) merely import her into the household dynamic for the 3-4 months that they tape a "season". I have no proof or evidence, but I suspect she is only onsite for a limited time and is encouraged/coached to snark at Gage for no reason in particular.  After all, she needs as storyline.

I can accept that and hope it's true. Otherwise, her storyline is neither funny or interesting.

Oh, I have no doubt that Zoila at al are fakety fake fake.  Yet I surmise she is not that great of an actress, and her animosity towards Gage is not all faux for the camera.  She has issues that are not producer driven, IMHO.

• Love 4

what work did Jenni do this season?

Has she ever really done much work? At least over the past 5 seasons?  She is a cast member, and part of the dynamic that Bravo wants.  I recall that when she was pregnant, there was extensive discussion about how she was going to cut down her hours.  Now she is married with a toddler.  And wasn't the doctor husband based in Chicago?  Do we even know if he moved his successful practice to CA?   Do we even know if Jenni lives in LA? Or did she move to Illinois fulltime?

Vanina seems to do most of the "work" (so much so that it was lead storyline for an entire episode) and Megan was always around during this 8-episode season.  If I recall, Megan used to be PT, so maybe she went FT?  I suspect Jenni has a nice contract with Bravo to clock a few hours on the job during the brief taping season, as long as she gets half an episode to promote her music career.  

One thing I really liked about this year was the dual couch commentary from Jeff and Jenni. They have great chemistry.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 3

I'm pretty sure that Zoila is only working part time there.  I seem to remember a couple of seasons back she was working way too much, and Jeff agreed to cut her hours.  We just didn't see any of the Zoila minions working around the house.

This season seemed so short.  Needed a couple more episodes. 

I know that Jeff and Gage added a kitten to their household via FB pictures, but I've not seen a name mentioned.

• Love 1

Until this episode, I always thought the fighting between Zoila and Gage was fake. In the beginning (and still often now), there was always a lot of laughing among the cast during these "fights," so after years of this I just assumed it was some play-fighting thing they did for amusement and the cameras. I got bored very quickly of it so never took it seriously. But when Zoila cried in the bathroom? That...seemed real. And now I dont know what to think. Really? They were serious this whole time? Really??

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure that Zoila is only working part time there.  I seem to remember a couple of seasons back she was working way too much, and Jeff agreed to cut her hours.  We just didn't see any of the Zoila minions working around the house.

This season seemed so short.  Needed a couple more episodes. 

I know that Jeff and Gage added a kitten to their household via FB pictures, but I've not seen a name mentioned.

I agree on the short season but it's probably what it always is.  It does seem that just when you're getting into the show, it's over.  IMO, it would be better if there were at least 12 episodes instead of 8.

And yeah, I doubt Zoila handles the house all by herself.  Maybe the 'real' housekeeper doesn't want to be on camera or Jeff is trying to portray something that isn't.

I'm pretty sure Jenni is most likely there only when the cameras are rolling.  She has a fan base and I think there would be a bit of an uproar if she left the show.  She doesn't need the work but I suppose maybe it's something for her to do as a side job.  But she's likely getting paid by Bravo and not Jeff. 

I also think zoila's attitude towards Gage is script driven but I don't think her freak out was.  But it made no sense.  She's the one that starts the button pushing first and because of the environment Gage gives it right back.  If she was constantly calling him names all year round I don't think she'd still be there. 

This was a singularly unpleasant episode. Zoila behaved abominably - I felt sorry for Gage. I don't understand why she doesn't live with or near her own family.

Lets look at her behavior as discussed above and this season. And ponder why her family doesn't want her closer or around full time why she prefers to remain around Jeff full time? There has to be a reason why she devotes herself to him and not her friends or family....

I also think her being here in the US centuries and speaking broken English is telling. I shows a stubbornness or lack of effort or intellect on we part.

JMHO ^ that is my H O ^

• Love 3