Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: We Have A Winner

• Start Topic

I think the question the producers/judges (because let's be realistic here, Bobby and Giada participate in the decision making process, but in no way dictate it) asked after seeing the three pretty darn good pilots is:

"Would one of these guys would get scooped up by another network if we don't lock him in now, and would we be bothered by that?"

I answered that question pretty quickly. And I think that made Eddie the easy choice from what seemed like a pretty hard choice.

• Love 7

Snarklepuss, there is some connection between Bobby Flay and Saratoga.  Someone else could probably tell you more about it than I can.  I've heard Bobby mention several times that he loves going up there for the races.  Then, there was some talk about Bobby having a horse that he races there.  Finally, during the divorce proceedings, it was brought out that Bobby had bought his wife, Stephanie, a horse as a gift when they were married.  All of this leads me to think that maybe  Dom and Eddie were up there because they knew Bobby would be.  They could have even discussed it ahead of time with Bobby.  Whatever, I tend to see this as a "get closer to Bobby" move than anything else -- and I don't mean that in a sinister way or a way of getting ahead in the competition. 

Interesting - However Dom takes his food truck up to Saratoga every summer.  Now hearing about Bobby's association with the track, you just made me think that Bobby "discovered" Dom there.  I'm sure the photo was taken after the winner was chosen, but it was posted weeks before the public found out.

I've been to the Saratoga track many times, and it IS awesome.  Now of course, I want to go back.  ;-)

• Love 1

I think the question the producers/judges (because let's be realistic here, Bobby and Giada participate in the decision making process, but in no way dictate it) asked after seeing the three pretty darn good pilots is:

"Would one of these guys would get scooped up by another network if we don't lock him in now, and would we be bothered by that?"

I answered that question pretty quickly. And I think that made Eddie the easy choice from what seemed like a pretty hard choice.

This is a great point. I could see Eddie on several networks (and not just talking about food). He's pretty dynamic and I think that FN was smart to "put a ring on it."

• Love 3

I agree, asking which one would be snapped up by another network leaves the choice clear as Eddie.

Re: his father's photo - A lot of musicians dressed like that back in the late 80s/early 90s.  I'm wondering if he wasn't employed in the music industry.  He reminds me of someone in a band I used to follow - Will have to go back and look at my 12 inch singles to find his photo!

I'm trying to get over the "Dom didn't win" blues.  Still, Eddie was my second choice, and I'm sure he'll light up a show with his great personality.  His smile alone could light up Texas!  Eddie had been up and then down, so I think his surprise at the end was genuine.  Dom had been down and then up, and I hope he didn't give Giada the credit for his turn around since the last people to work with him were Alex Guarnacelli and Jeff Morrow.

Speaking of Giada, I think she's been whispering in Bobby's ear throughout the competition, confiding in a come-hither voice, "Wait 'til you see the last dress I'm wearing!"  The only things missing were two blinking lights. 

• Love 6

Jay's Billy Mays barker thing was a little toned down in his pilot, but I still found him insincere and full of himself.

He came off just way too fake and over the top. He felt desperate and it was a huge turn off.

I hate that the plan was always to go with a traveling show. Then they should have focused on more traveling show like challenges. Why even bother going on and on about POV when Jay's show would have been about "deep fried" food and Eddie had nothing to do with cheat day or Caribbean food.

I've never gone to the restaurant Dom visited but I eat at that Mighty Quinn's all the time and just a few weeks ago my cousin & I stumbled across Sweet Chicks. We were already making plans to do brunch there and then we saw the owner and now we're definitely doing lunch there. All I can say is that the Food Network needs to stop stalking my food life.

Being reminded of how Michelle blew her chance as the lone woman and just gave up on the competition really pissed me off. Rue or Emilia would have killed to have that spot she just threw away.

• Love 1

Okay, everyone who knew in Week One (you may have even said it out loud) that Eddie Jackson would be winner this season, raise your hand...

(Staring at a lot of raised hands:) I don't feel so much cheated by Food Network as ill-used.  Did anybody really think there were twelve serious contenders among this group?  Eight?  Four??  There were a few individuals I liked, but who were obviously not ready for prime-time (Alex and Dom); there were a few who brought something special to the table, but similarly, didn't have "Star" tattooed to their foreheads (intriguing Rue and spunky Rosa).  There was Matthew, who immediately jumped out as having potential and then immediately took himself out by demonstrating borderline sociopathic tendencies (watching him in the "spotlight" feature in episode one was as cringe-inducing last night as it was the first time it aired).  Take out the startling number of obvious no-way-not-in-a-million-years (Christina, Sita, Emilia) and who's left?  Arnold, Jay, Michelle and Eddie.  (Michelle became unusually annoying in record time, but she seemed at least somewhat capable at first.)  So, for my money, FN could have done this season in two weeks, and ended up with the same result.  Just think of all the ads for Spice Islands and the VW Passat we could have skipped!  (If I ever see that ad with the kid pouring Slurpee from the machine into his mouth again, I may just scream or vomit.)  They could have crowned Eddie the very first week, and I wouldn't have blinked or been disappointed.  Forgive me for invoking the name of the other most-overdone farce in media this season, but it feels like FN trumped up a season's worth of episodes to justify what anyone could see in the first week.

Am I happy that Eddie won?  Absolutely.  Do I think he deserved to win?  Absolutely.  Is he a star?  Abso-fuckin-lutely.  What a wonderful guy.  I loved that moment in his pilot when he kind of flashed his eyes at the camera, like he was sharing an inside joke with you.  He's charming, he's talented, he's someone I'd happily watch even on a BBQ-themed show, usually not my favorite on FN.

Random thoughts....  

Alex got a haircut!  He's no longer channeling Bonnie Franklin, now he's channeling Toni Tennille. 

President Brooke Whatever of FN has a most unfortunately visage.  She reminded me of Rocky Dennis from Mask.  

I don't know how I missed the bit with Giada picking Arnold's box (was it an outtake?) but that shit could live to be 1000.  Best moment of the season.

Best thing about this season?  Finding this forum.  Discovering so many smart, funny people among the fans of this show.  It made a so-so season so so good.  Thanks, everybody, and see you next summer!

I'm trying to get over the "Dom didn't win" blues.  

Don't feel bad, Lura.  I'm still trying to get over the loss of Emma Frisch from last season.

• Love 6

I hate barbecued anything.

I think the key to this show is in its title: "Star." Not "Chef." They were seeking a HOST this season, not another sandwich maven, not another Mom cook, not another Italian chef, not another Big Man, not another Party Hearty gay guy.

Thus, and IMRetrospectiveO, Eddie was always, barring a bizarre mishap, in like Flynn.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

I'm sure Giada is readying her production company for "Giada and Dom Do Little Italy."

Or "Eddie and Dom's Food Truck Showdown"!  Makes me wonder if something with the two of them isn't already in the works given how much they like each other and the fact that Eddie showed up at Dom's food truck in Saratoga several weeks back.

Random thoughts....  

Alex got a haircut!  He's no longer channeling Bonnie Franklin, now he's channeling Toni Tennille. 

President Brooke Whatever of FN has a most unfortunately visage.  She reminded me of Rocky Dennis from Mask.  

I don't know how I missed the bit with Giada picking Arnold's box (was it an outtake?) but that shit could live to be 1000.  Best moment of the season.

Best thing about this season?  Finding this forum.  Discovering so many smart, funny people among the fans of this show.  It made a so-so season so so good.  Thanks, everybody, and see you next summer!

Thanks, but I think your quote about Alex now channeling Toni Tennille is my fave line on this forum this season!

• Love 1

Or "Eddie and Dom's Food Truck Showdown"!  Makes me wonder if something with the two of them isn't already in the works given how much they like each other and the fact that Eddie showed up at Dom's food truck in Saratoga several weeks back.

Uh, don't think so. Dom probably took way too many takes to get his pilot made. Which, of course, they won't show. He's just not camera-ready. If Eddie was up there, he was likely in NYC to film his show.

Justin Warner must be seething that Eddie is getting to do the kind of show Justin wanted. Oh well, you picked the wrong season, dude!

• Love 2

Uh, don't think so. Dom probably took way too many takes to get his pilot made. Which, of course, they won't show. He's just not camera-ready. If Eddie was up there, he was likely in NYC to film his show.

Justin Warner must be seething that Eddie is getting to do the kind of show Justin wanted. Oh well, you picked the wrong season, dude!

Given that Saratoga, NY is almost 200 miles from NYC, I think that would be a little too out of the way for him to just show up there to be a guy pal.  He could have been there on his own business and just stopped by who knows?  I don't think Dom is that far away from being "camera ready" in certain small doses anyway.

I was thinking about Justin Warner but I suspect that FN didn't think that kind of show was the right fit for him and his personality.  And I'd kind of agree with them if that was their logic.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

I'm glad that Eddie won, although I liked Dom too, but  I'm not interested in watching a BBQ show.  Since he is big into fitness, I was hoping that he would have a show about cooking favorite dishes, but making them lighter and healthier.  That's a show I would watch.

• Love 5

I agree - In addition, Eddie was on MasterChef in 2013 and already had a fan base with foodies from his stint on that show.  I remember liking him and being unhappy when he was sent home.  I don't see how FN can NOT give the other 2 at least one show.  I do think they were the strongest final 3 I've seen in a long time on this show.

Absolutely Snarklepuss ... In fact, when I saw the list of contestants before the first show aired, I recognized him immediately and squeed! 

So I'm sure you'll remember that his big strength during Masterchef was ... wait for it ... BBQ. In fact, I was really surprised they had not gone in that direction with FNS. Don't know if they were waiting for some reason or changed their mind midstream or what, but because of that I didn't feel the sudden shift was as much out of nowhere as it was "FINALLY!" Now as long as he doesn't try to make sushi rolls ... ;)

ECSTATIC about his win. And making my husband cook ribs for us tonight ;)

• Love 2
I hate that the plan was always to go with a traveling show. Then they should have focused on more traveling show like challenges. Why even bother going on and on about POV when Jay's show would have been about "deep fried" food and Eddie had nothing to do with cheat day or Caribbean food.

I think the plan was always to shoot the pilots* as traveling shows, but I do not think there was a set plan for the winner.  Susie gave us really good insight into the way the network thinks (not that it isn't there for us to see every day) when she talked about finding a person who could be good on show after show. They are pretty good at what they do over there, and they'll figure out what to do with Eddie.  I think that traveling show, or any type of show where he interacts with people, is going to be the direction. 

"Eddie lights up a room when he walks into it." You really don't have to hear much more than that to realize that sticking him in an empty kitchen talking to the camera is not the best use of him to start.  I think that had Eddie not been part of this season, that Jay would have won, and that Jay would have been much more likely to be set in a traditional cooking show to start.

* And by the way, just like i said when we first found out the pilots were going to be "visit a restaurant show", that ended up being a phenomenal idea. All three, even Dom, ended up being very watchable and not cringe worthy. And that was mostly because it's easier to hide lack of camera readiness in that type of show than in a traditional in-kitchen show.

• Love 1

There was so much recapping.   This show could've been ten minutes.  Emilia seemed to speak most of the discarded contestants.   Eddie never talked about BBQ, yet, he's doing a BBQ show  I guess he's as good at that as he his with his "Caribbean" flavours.   *shrug*

The most disturbing part of this episode were the Gerber baby ads they featured.   WTF is up with the new Gerber logo?  It is  scaaaaaaaaaaary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, everyone who knew in Week One (you may have even said it out loud) that Eddie Jackson would be winner this season, raise your hand...

I called Jay and Arnold as finalists in week 2. I added Eddie in week 4.

Like you said, it is pretty easy to spot the contenders for this show, but I don't think it is ever a waste of my time to watch the other jokers fail miserably as we go along.

Maybe I missed it while fast forwarding through the commercials and filler but it felt like we didn't really get much "previously unseen" footage this time so other than the scene between Arnold and Giada, it felt like it was just the pilots and the reveal.

Looking back on the season, I think they finally got the right level of involvement for Kermit and Medusa.  We weren't inundated with Susie asking for personal stories but whenever they came it felt like the adult supervision was finally on set.  Also, if they hadn't been there, I feel like Eddie could have been knocked out during the Holidays episode because ti felt like Bobby and Giada wanted to keep Dom instead and were kind of taken aback by Susie's shock at their not seeing Eddie's star quality.

Also looking back, I want to give a bit of praise to Melissa D'Arabian who doesn't get a lot of it all that often.  Her advice regarding a culinary POV was the first time it made sense to me.  She said something like -- the judges care about it so much not to force the contestant to stick to a script but because they need to know the POV as a window into getting to know the contestant.  Given that, the window into understanding Eddie and his approach to food isn't the particular flavors he uses but his history and watching him interact with people.  Everything you need to know about him can be gleaned from that so I guess it's not really shocking that they chose a cuisine other than Caribbean for him.

• Love 2

Eddie is definitely a winner all the way around.  Great looking, great personality, plus he can cook and show an interest in some popular foods.  I'm sure Rachael Ray used her mom's expression and called him "The Total Package".  I also think he was the least offensive finalist with the fans in that I rarely heard anyone say they didn't like him or hoped he didn't win.  Even if they liked Dom or Jay the best they didn't say they'd be unhappy if Eddie won.  And that says a whole lot right there.

• Love 5

I know, as much as I like Eddie and want to watch him I am going to explode if I am forced to watch ONE MORE SHOW about BBQ.  And don't get me wrong, I LOVE BBQ, I'm just saturated to the point of overload with it. 

Seriously! In addition to all the FN shows about BBQ (and don't forget Chopped's Pit Master edition), the Travel Channel is always sending someone out to visit "the top 10 BBQ joints in the country." Even The History Channel does shows on BBQ. I get it. BBQ is enormously popular, it's Americana, and many of the people who run BBQ joints are colorful characters. But it's become a TV cliché. I love BBQ as well, but I honestly don't think there's anything new I can learn at this point. It's all been done to death.

Regarding the finalists, since FN loves big, sloppy guys who yell at the camera, I think they'll find something for Jay. And I bet we see Dom and maybe Alex and Arnold cropping up in guest spots. (Well, Dom with Giada, for sure). There were a lot of posts over the course of the season about the weakness of this crop of contestants.  I wrote that myself. But now I'm feeling that it wasn't such a bad group after all, certainly way better than last year. Or the season in which Demaris won, where you had Pie Style in the final three. (And which season gave us "Vic Vegas?" Cringe). I think that even Emilia or Rue could be plugged into a show and do a decent job. So that's 7 people who I could imagine being on TV, which I think is more than in many past seasons.

(Anyone else notice that Emilia was their go-to person for nice comments about the finalists? It's like they were allowing her to redeem herself for her nasty "comedy" routine).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Maybe the Food Truck Race does an episode there and Dom & Eddie are part of it.  I don't know when the show was shot but it is premiering soon.

• Love 1

I liked Eddie from the get-go and I'm glad he won but clearly the main reason he won is that He Fit The Suit. Jay was too big; Dom was too small. Eddie is just riiiiight. He's the Johnny Bravo of the Food Network.

• Love 7

I see a lot of comments about Eddie's BBQ show, but I never heard them say that's the kind of show he was doing, I thought that was just for the "pilot" so they could show the 3 contestants doing the same kind of thing. Did they say that Eddie's show was going to be all about BBQ & I missed it?

• Love 1

I'm sure Giada is readying her production company for "Giada and Dom Do Little Italy."

More like "Giada and Little Dom Do Italy?" amirite? Or "Giada Does Dom, Little Italy?" I'll show myself out.

Congratulations, Eddie! I always thought they trumped up something ridiculous to get rid of him on Masterchef, so glad to see someone recognize his clear star quality.

Although I hate the name of the show, because I feel like "blitz" is the go-to "we need a football word in our title" word. And unless Eddie is actually going to rush into all the restaurants simultaneously, it doesn't mean what they think it means. It really is the "ironic" of football words.

• Love 5

I like Eddie and am glad he won of the final three. Arnold was my favorite and I'm still sad he wasn't in the final three. This probably makes me a horrible person but every time I watch Jay, a part of my brain just starts shouting "go away Lenny!" I know they are not the same but Jay just always reminds me of Lenny. Because if that, I'm glad he didn't win although the entire show it seemed like he was going to be the winner.

I see a lot of comments about Eddie's BBQ show, but I never heard them say that's the kind of show he was doing, I thought that was just for the "pilot" so they could show the 3 contestants doing the same kind of thing. Did they say that Eddie's show was going to be all about BBQ & I missed it?

Yeah, his six-ep show will be called "BBQ Blitz."

They are already promoting "BBQ Blitz" premiering in October. I think Eddie was as surprised as we were when he heard and saw the name of the show at the beginning of his pilot.

Yeah, his six-ep show will be called "BBQ Blitz."

They are already promoting "BBQ Blitz" premiering in October. I think Eddie was as surprised as we were when he heard and saw the name of the show at the beginning of his pilot.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that. It's also really strange, & now I'm confused about why they make them have a POV too.

• Love 1

If I put on my tinfoil hat, I almost wonder if Michelle quit because someone in production let slip that the winner's show would be a traveling one since that would make it even more difficult on family time.

I'm not a huge fan of the traveling BBQ theme (even though I like BBQ), but I'm happy that Eddie won.  I'd like to see it transition into a tailgaiting theme (whoever pitched that here is brilliant!) since tailgaiting can be so much more than BBQ and the ideas can translate to camping or picnics or other outdoor eating activities.

I do hope some of the other contestants make it onto the Cooking Channel or other venues, and maybe not winning will give them flexibility to negotiate a show they want, rather than one given to them.   

More like "Giada and Little Dom Do Italy?" amirite? Or "Giada Does Dom, Little Italy?" I'll show myself out.

"Little Italians, Big World"?  The show I think we ALL want to see is "Eddie Does Dallas".  OK, now I'll show myself out...

• Love 6

Not all, I was willing to overlook a lot of stuff (including in Star Salvation) to keep my girl Rue in the mix. 

I could care less about Southern African cuisine. . . unless she's the one making it.

Snarklepuss, there is some connection between Bobby Flay and Saratoga.  Someone else could probably tell you more about it than I can.  I've heard Bobby mention several times that he loves going up there for the races.  Then, there was some talk about Bobby having a horse that he races there.  Finally, during the divorce proceedings, it was brought out that Bobby had bought his wife, Stephanie, a horse as a gift when they were married.  All of this leads me to think that maybe  Dom and Eddie were up there because they knew Bobby would be.  They could have even discussed it ahead of time with Bobby.  Whatever, I tend to see this as a "get closer to Bobby" move than anything else -- and I don't mean that in a sinister way or a way of getting ahead in the competition.

Took my reply to Bobby's thread.

Jay and Eddie were a pretty obvious final two from the get-go and I really could have gone either way at the end but with Eddie’s constantly shifting POV (cheat day+food truck+fitness+caribbean+BBQ) I gave the edge to Jay.  Then Eddie does an interview on tvline.com where he tells them his previous gig on MasterChef was a “prank.”  It’s okay to want to be on television dude, just don’t sell me a line about it.  Wrong person won.

• Love 1

Snarklepuss, there is some connection between Bobby Flay and Saratoga. Someone else could probably tell you more about it than I can. I've heard Bobby mention several times that he loves going up there for the races. Then, there was some talk about Bobby having a horse that he races there. Finally, during the divorce proceedings, it was brought out that Bobby had bought his wife, Stephanie, a horse as a gift when they were married. All of this leads me to think that maybe Dom and Eddie were up there because they knew Bobby would be. They could have even discussed it ahead of time with Bobby. Whatever, I tend to see this as a "get closer to Bobby" move than anything else -- and I don't mean that in a sinister way or a way of getting ahead in the competition.

Doms food truck operates out of the Saratoga race track parking lot most of the year. My friend works at the track and eats it all the time.

Eddie was entered *by a friend as a prank* according to this profile from the Sporting News

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-24/eddie-jackson-food-network-star-nfl-patriots-dolphins-arkansas-injuries-acl-master-chef-food-truck

Before long, a friend had entered him into the "Master Chef" competition as a prank. He did well enough there to stoke possibilities and imagine big things. Like having his own TV show on the Food Network.

Just because it wasn't something he thought of doing on his own doesn't make what happened going forward something done in bad faith. Reading the two pieces together, sounds like the friend entered him, he went ahead and went through with it because why not?  

Anyway, I'd read both pieces before being upset with him about it. He doesn't come off badly to me in either interview. (tvline piece is here: http://tvline.com/2015/08/17/eddie-jackson-food-network-star-winner-interview-bbq-blitz/).

Edited by akr
  • Love 3

well if DDD is still doing new shows then this could be one of the reasons Jay didn't win.  When I watched his pilot - I went OMG this is just like Guy Fieri's DDD.  So I thought maybe he was going to win because as other's have posted before maybe Guy is giving up DDD and they are looking for someone new. 

Glad that Eddie won.  I probably won't watch his show but good for Eddie. 

I thought Dom's pilot was good.   Wasn't sure if he was going to win.  But I laughed and liked his "look back" segment.

Thought the reaction to Suzy's last remark to Michelle was a little strange.  Suzy asking her about quitting; and then she says something about "knowing you made the right decision"  (I think that's what she said - truly can't remember how she worded it)..and Michelle just opens her mouth and then closes it and doesn't say anything.

It seemed to me that Suzy was shutting her down before she could say more. I thought it was possible there was the risk of an overshare that would be embarrassing  to everyone there. Michelle's  "I'm a mother" catch phrase for every situation was annoying as hell, but I hope she's okay. Suzy' cut-off made me think there was a lot more to it.

Those clips were kind of the Giada's Girls highlight reel, weren't they. She wears them up, she wears them down... Ah well, more power to her.

I like BBQ, but am not a particular fan and I don't cook it or go out for it specifically. So BBQ Blitz isn't anything I'll watch, which is too bad. I thought all the pilots were engaging, and I wanted to eat all the food. Even the BBQ - I mean that brisket was juicy and practically erotic.

Edited by clanstarling

It seemed to me that Suzy was shutting her down before she could say more. I thought it was possible there was the risk of an overshare that would be embarrassing  to everyone there. Michelle's  "I'm a mother" catch phrase for every situation was annoying as hell, but I hope she's okay. Suzy' cut-off made me think there was a lot more to it.

The look on Michelle's face when Suzie cut her off made me think she had some regrets or misgivings about quitting, which Suzie would have (thankfully) prevented her from sharing.  I thought she let the stress get to her and wasn't thinking rationally when she quit.  I thought she would later regret it.  When she said that the "mom" side of her wanted to quit it made me think there's another side that now wishes it had been in control that day she left the competition.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Maybe the Food Truck Race does an episode there and Dom & Eddie are part of it.  I don't know when the show was shot but it is premiering soon.

Great Food Truck Race finished filming in early June.

I'm glad that Eddie won, although I liked Dom too, but  I'm not interested in watching a BBQ show.  Since he is big into fitness, I was hoping that he would have a show about cooking favorite dishes, but making them lighter and healthier.  That's a show I would watch.

The only cooking Eddie would be doing anytime soon is when he starts doing the typical rounds every FN mid/low tier personality does, competing on Chopped, Cutthroat and GGG or on holiday specials.

I still think Eddie should be doing a tailgate show, if he's truly going to be traveling around. College and/or pro games have some of the best food being served in the parking lots. If FN doesn't figure this out, they are dumber than I thought.

• Love 5

I'm so happy that my TV boyfriend gets to stay my TV boyfriend! I'm embarrassed to say that when he teared up at the end, I got a little misty-eyed myself. I'd love to see FN find ways to use Arnold, Jay and Dom on the network too. All of them are talented in different ways.

So, as sick as I am of both BBQ and travel-and-taste on FN, I will be there with bells on to watch my boyfriend do his thing. Does BBQ Blitz have a forum yet?? ;)

• Love 2

If I put on my tinfoil hat, I almost wonder if Michelle quit because someone in production let slip that the winner's show would be a traveling one since that would make it even more difficult on family time.

That's an interesting theory - It might also be what she would have hinted at if Suzie didn't cut her off in the finale.  If she said, "Hearing that it was going to involve a lot of traveling made it a deal breaker for me" that would have been a bit too revealing.  It may not have even been production that slipped that - It might have been one of the guys, trying to step up her anxiety to get her out of their way.  They may have only figured it out from all the signs they were getting.  Until then she was probably blissfully ignorant, hoping they'd consider her for a stand and stir format.

• Love 1

I think that Arnold, who I loved was a bit too gay for the FN.

The network that already employs and has in the past employed openly gay people?  I don't think so.  

Arnold just was not as good as some of the others.  I was surprised that he stayed in the competition as long as he did.