Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Sean Lowe/Jason Mesnick

I rarely watch this show but did since I'm a Bachelor viewer. It just reinforced my belief that Jason & Molly are much more pleasant than Sean & Catherine. Sean would drive me insane with his self-centered ways. And what was that ass ugly big necklace Catherine was wearing of a gaping shark's mouth? I'm surprised the baby wasn't crying looking at that thing. I'm not even going to address the Wrathrine concept because it was so stupid it hurt my brain.

• Love 12
(edited)

That's a first for this show -   One wife deciding that the other's husband needs to wax his chest.  WTF??   That's a personal choice, to remove hair or not.  Catherine seemed to think it made Jason more "manly".   It's not like he was overly hairy.  I thought she over-stepped.

And - making a guy trade in a sports car for a minivan?  (not that I believe it was a permanent trade) You don't need a minivan when you're THINKING of having kids. 

I resented the announcer calling Jason "Mr Mom"  because he was taking care of his daughter.   That's just being a DAD.

Catherine was pretty unreasonable.  She strong-arms Jason into waxing his chest, yet she gets ANGRY that Sean ate Ethiopian food without her?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 12

This did nothing to improve my opinion of Sean.  If anything, he seems worse - possibly because now that he has married a woman who has fallen in line with what he wants, he no longer has to pretend not to be a completely selfish ass.  When I saw him and Catherine sitting with their Small Group from church I shuddered, because I don't know if it's just a southern Baptist thing, but I've had friends who got involved with that exact same kind of couples "love language" group discussions, and I watched them turn into people I didn't even recognize, especially my girlfriend who I'd been close to since high school.  She'd always been confident, independent, had opinions... but by the last time I was with her she was like some kind of 1950's Stepford wife who "understood" that God wanted her to be a good wife, which meant her husband was the master of the household, and what he says goes.  She started getting an allowance instead of being able to just use their joint account like she'd done before, she was admonishing HERSELF if dinner wasn't on the table at the time she had promised it would be, and weekend activities were decided by her husband which meant she started to go with him on hunting trips as basically his lackey.  I had to peace out from the friendship because watching all that made me feel ill, and I could feel the same stirrings when I saw that not only had Sean made a To Do list of chores that Catherine was to have done by the time he came home, but he had drawn a cross on it, as if to remind her that this is what God wants her to do.  So.  Gross. 

Jason and Molly, on the other hand, were pretty delightful.  They seem truly happy and comfortable in their life together, their daughter might cry a lot but my goodness is she ever a cutie, and in general they came across as people I wouldn't at all mind hanging out with.  Molly is lovely, and I very much appreciated that she made sure Sean understood that no, Catherine is NOT perfectly happy just cooking and cleaning for him. and seeing only his friends and going only to places he likes to go. 

• Love 18

Sean was never my favorite Bachelor, but I was horrified last night.  If this is what he was like for the cameras, what was he like when they were off.  For their first night together, Jason gets a sitter so he can do something fun with Catherine.  Sean goes out to play flag football and leaves Molly with instructions of what to make him for dinner.

That's all you need to know about the two men.

• Love 22

I found it so crazy that Catherine could even find "rules" for Jason because quite frankly their household is just fine.  Catherine can't truly believe that the proper life is the one she is living, with an a**hole husband who demands chores from her, and won't take her to do anything fun.  We all know that Catherine was fun loving, and laid back prior to marrying Sean, so why she is letting herself mold to his crazy idea of what a wife is is just nuts.

Molly and Jason really had nothing that you could disagree with.  OMG...Molly works!  How awful that she has this great job she really enjoys that actually allows her to have a part of her life that is her own and she can be around her own people!  How awful that Jason helps with the kids!  Let's change that and send him off all day and have him come home and not see his daughter then either.  We wouldn't want to encourage the father to do childcare or housework, would we?

I just couldn't believe it...I didn't think Sean would be that bad, but he was worse, and it was even sadder that Catherine believes this is a real life.  The fact that she is so young, has a lot to offer the world, and plans to spend her years ironing and cooking for Sean is unreal.  And the fact that she is okay with the fact that he sees all other responsibilities as hers (inc the dogs) is just not right.  

• Love 9

I have been reading that the show was very edited and the whole list thing from Sean was a big joke. I have no idea how true that is, I didn't even watch. But Sean did tweet this out last night.....

seanloweksuYeah... so that whole Wife Swap thing made me look like a complete jackass but I guess that's the risk you run when you agree to take part in something like that. Thanks to those who saw through it all and offered words of support. Now here's a picture of my dog watching herself on TV. Goodnight.

And Catherine tweeted this....

catherinegiudiciI have been blessed with the most humble, selfless, wonderful husband :) TV has been great to us and sometimes it hasn't, but I am always confident knowing @seanloweksu's heart is good. I wish you could all see past his chest of titanium to his heart of gold

• Love 1

Yes, but did they force him to say the things he says?  I don't think so... the attitude and her acceptance of it were pretty telling.  And funny that they couldn't find a way to make Molly and Jason look bad :-)  And I wasn't even a fan of Molly and Jason at all.....

• Love 14

Yes, but did they force him to say the things he says?  I don't think so... the attitude and her acceptance of it were pretty telling. 

And according to reports from that couples show that Sean and Catherine are also appearing on, she doesn't even get good sex from him to compensate for being his personal housemaid.

• Love 5

I always loved Jason and Molly and their appearance here re enforced that.  Must say Jason looked very good in a suit.       I'll cut some slack to Sean and Catherine.  Sean didn't come off very well here but I'm sure it's because the show needed it narrative.   I respect Catherine wanting to be a stay at home mom

• Love 1

I always loved Jason and Molly and their appearance here re enforced that.  Must say Jason looked very good in a suit.       I'll cut some slack to Sean and Catherine.  Sean didn't come off very well here but I'm sure it's because the show needed it narrative.   I respect Catherine wanting to be a stay at home mom

Since their next appearance is going to be on Marriage Boot Camp, I'd guess that there are more problems.

As to Catherine wanting to be a stay at home MOM -  more power to her!  That's a great choice.   But they don't have kids yet.  Right now, as much as I hate the term, she's a housewife.  She's a wife, she stays in the house.

• Love 6

Sean, yeah, you were so cool until you had to get rid of that 4 door Porsche for a few days. Seeing what Catherine has become is downright depressing. I'm not one to judge those who want to stay home with the kids, but they have no kids! She has to be bored out of her mind. I'd kill myself if all I had to fill my days was being Sean's servant. It just doesn't seem to fit her personality. She's a young, vivacious woman. Even if she doesn't get a job, some clubs and hobbies would certainly help, even if it keeps her from getting dinner on the table at 6:00 sharp. Maybe some activity would help her not be so tired from having to work a few hours and bake some damn cookies.

Molly annoyed me on The Bachelor, but I really like her now. She has her shit together and seems very down to earth. I was also very annoyed at Jason being called "Mr. Mom." It's 2015, yo. He's being a dad.

Boring episode overall.

• Love 7

That is exactly what I was thinking, backformore.  There is no reason for someone her age and capability to have their life limited to "iron Sean's socks", and "wipe up kitchen", and cook boring salad for Sean.  Even if she doesn't have to work, there are so many things she could do to keep busy in other ways.  If I really thought she enjoyed doing all of this and was fulfilled for life, that would be one thing, but I don't get that at all....I think she is pretending to herself she is okay with it, but will eventually get tired of it.

As for when she has babies, I agree, that is different, as some would prefer to stay home with them.  But I hope Sean will play an active role versus being the traditional "provider".

• Love 5
(edited)

One more gripe then I'll shut up. Does Sean not know there are fat free, salt free spices that can be used? Turkey & salad without anything added? I understand if he wants to restrict fat &/or sodium, though I don't agree, but there's nothing wrong with some flavor. I hope that was just a TV thing, but I have my doubts. I can see Mr. Former Fitness Model being that way. Food can be fuel & tasty at the same time. Ugh.

ETA: Since I rarely watch this show I didn't know if the chest-waxing was a typical shock rule type of thing. I'm glad to know that it's not.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 5
(edited)

yeah,  I wanted Catherine to grow a backbone - with Sean, not with Jason. 

If you're a HOUSEWIFE, then you don't need a "list of chores", or someone telling you what to cook.   It may be editing, but it was kind of "I'm going out to play with my friends, have my socks ironed and my dinner ready when I get home. "  The answer should be - if I'm in charge of the house, I'll decide what gets ironed and what we're having for dinner!

But Catherine then wants to turn Jason into a "real man"   by having his chest hair ripped out.   That seemed like displaced passive-aggressive stuff to me.   Jason's not the one you're angry at, Catherine! 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 9

I get the stay at home mom thing and that is wonderful when you can do it, but since Catherine does not have any kids yet, this is the time to really pursue what she wants to do (work or hobbies).  If it is Catherine who does not want to work, fine.  But you get the feeling that Sean does not want her to work or pursue other interests which is worrisome.  Of course it could be partially explained by editing, but there is no reason why she couldn't get out of the house more and discover Dallas on her own while Sean is at work. 

• Love 10

And to add to the above point, let's be realistic.... if the marriage has any risk of heading to divorce, she would serve herself well by finding some work or some interests that would help her make a living when a divorce occurs.  Women have to look out for themselves a bit when they choose to let the man run everything in regard to the household/finances.  

As for the getting out and seeing things, they are a young couple--why wouldn't they go do things on the weekends other than the same restaurants, picnic in their backyard, etc?  Why live near Dallas but not do anything remotely interesting.  I wouldn't need a man to show me around, I would go exploring on my own if need be.  I love to see new cities and places.  I have only been to Dallas once, but I have a feeling I have seen more of it than Catherine.....

• Love 2

Catherine's tweet in defense of her husband fit perfectly with Irritable's description of her ex-friend's descent into a Stepford Wife life.

If you don't give it to the cameras, they can't edit it to suit their purposes.

• Love 7
(edited)

All I could think during the Sean and Molly segments was "Catherine gave up a career at Amazon for this???". It seems like she gave up her old life completely for her marriage, while Sean gave up absolutely nothing and wouldn't even make a tiny compromise like taking her to a new restaurant once in a while. The way she was so nostalgic about going to back to Seattle makes me think she's questioning her choices despite the Stepford front she puts up.

I did think Catherine made too much of a big deal about how "busy" Molly's life is. It looked like she works a couple of hours a day, not a full 8+ hour day like most working moms. And Jason seems very hands-on with child care.

The chest waxing was too stupid for words. When Jason asked Catherine if Sean waxes, she said he "shaves it all the time", and I wanted to scream that waxing is nothing at all like shaving. And how does a waxed chest make him more "professional"? If a realtor I worked with told me about his personal grooming habits or took off his shirt in front of me, "professional" would not be a word that comes to mind.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 12

I get the stay at home mom thing and that is wonderful when you can do it, but since Catherine does not have any kids yet, this is the time to really pursue what she wants to do (work or hobbies).  If it is Catherine who does not want to work, fine.  But you get the feeling that Sean does not want her to work or pursue other interests which is worrisome.  Of course it could be partially explained by editing, but there is no reason why she couldn't get out of the house more and discover Dallas on her own while Sean is at work. 

Did they have another car?  Or is Sean the type who says "you're a housewife, you don't need to go anywhere without me"?    Maybe Catherine really is STUCK at home.  

I was wondering about that anyway, with the "trade your sportscar in for a minivan'  thing.  You don't have 5 kids all at once (unless you're a Gosselin).  And,  it's the parent staying home who needs the minivan, not the 'breadwinner".  

The whole thing made me wonder if Sean's expensive car was the only car they had.  Fits in with his controlling caveman attitude. 

• Love 3

I've always liked Jason and Molly, and disliked Sean and Catherine--and now those feelings are cemented. Ok, I can sort of buy the Tweet that they have to "play up" the roles for the camera. These shows always have couples with opposing ways of life, and apparently everyone was on board with the storyline of traditional housewife vs. working mom and "man of the household" vs. "sensitive new age man." I mean, I'm sure Molly and Jason aren't out kayaking all of the time, just as I'd bet "iron Sean's socks" was most likely a joke...I mean it HAS to be, right?!? Yet, it sounds like a to-do list could be common practice in the Lowe household--the food plans/preparation definitely was. I didn't understand when Catherine was saying how Jason had to shave because her man would never go to work not clean-shaven--but Sean had stubble the entire episode! I don't know why that detail bothered me so much; I guess because I thought it was ridiculous how she was focusing on his appearance. Yet, the way Sean is obsessed with his appearance--logging his weight to the ounces daily--I guess that was also part of the "storyline" and that's why she made Jason wax. Jason does work, right? The way Catherine was going on and on about how he had to be the man and the breadwinner made it seem like he's a stay-at-home dad--but I think he's just taking care of the baby in the early morning while Molly's at work, then he goes off to his own job. I don't see how this is some terrible--or shocking--thing, but I guess Sean will be one of those dads who will refuse to change a diaper because that's women's work, or lest he need to care for the baby for an hour, he's "babysitting." But, I was going to let all of this slide as playing it up for TV until "Wrathrine" came out! Holy [bleep]! That was not for TV folks--that was a flash of genuine rage over her husband eating Ethiopian food because "doing firsts together" is apparently the most critical thing in the world. I mean, I guess if she's locked into not being allowed out of her daily routines she's jealous that he CAN do different things--just not with HER...but, she has to realize that's the entire premise of this show! But, yikes, it did seem like she'll just bottle everything up to be the perfect little wife, but all of that resentment is simmering right under the surface. It's no wonder that these two will be on Marriage Boot Camp next!

• Love 7
(edited)

Never liked Jason or Molly on the Bachelor but after this I have to say I really like both of them. They actually seem like a couple who is fun and sweet and genuinely loves eachother. Catherine and Sean.. Holy shit!! Shawn wants a maid and a cook and someone to follow him along like a puppy and he just put a ring on it and calls it his wife. More like his personal slave. Hated them both.  Loved what a good sport Jason was. Loved that he took Catherine kayaking and she really seemed to enjoy it. that was sad. Sean doesn't give a crap about Catherine. He is so self centered. He doesn't care that she gave up her entire life to be with him. He just wants someone to take care of his dogs and keep his house clean.

And Catherine is certifiable. Having Jason wax his chest (that is really painful! and really none of her business. Maybe Molly likes some chest hair) was mean (as Jason articulated) and why would you do that to someone you are friendly enough with to invite to your wedding (Jason isn't a total stranger) Seems kind of petty and as someone else said Catherine seems to be taking anger she has at Sean out on poor Jason. And wow her anger at Molly over taking Sean out to eat. That's the whole premise of the show sweetie! Calm the fuck down!  Props to Molly for how she handled that outburst. Very sweet and classy.

Edited by kira28
  • Love 8

Sean is a douchehole and Catherine is an idiot for marrying him. I still stand by my belief that they will be the first ever Most.Dramatic.Divorce EVER! Jason/Molly really proved the cynics, including myself, wrong. Good for them. They seem actually happy.

• Love 8

Catherine had true spunk when on The Bachelor.  Her personality outshone everyone else's there, in a positive way.  Now she seems so submissive and hides in Sean's shadow.  It's truly sad.  I remember her father wasn't part of her life growing up and I can't remember exactly why.  But I wonder if she does everything she can to please her "man" because of abandonment issues.

I never had issues with Jason and Molly on their season.  Seems like they were decent people and I still feel that way.

• Love 5

Catherine's tweet in defense of her husband fit perfectly with Irritable's description of her ex-friend's descent into a Stepford Wife life.

Yep, that's what I thought when I read it, too.  It makes me so sad. 

I do believe the part about ironing Sean's socks was a joke, but the list itself was not.  In fact, and again this is another example of a couple who went to weekly Baptist Small Group couples meetings to make their marriage "stronger" through God, my previous boss left To Do lists for his wife every day before he went off to be the bread winner.  One day I happened to walk past his office and overhear him speaking on the phone to what I assumed was his young daughter who was in trouble, because the tone was so condescending - only no, he was getting onto his wife's ass because the previous day she had not completed everything on the list.  He kept saying, "Michelle, no...listen to me, Michelle...I want to know, WHY you couldn't finish everything on the list.  No...Michelle, that's not what I asked.  I asked you WHY.  Michelle...Michelle, listen to me..." and my kneejerk reaction was to look for something resembling a club that I could use to knock him over the head.

One more anecdote, just because I do think it has relevance to where Sean and Catherine are headed if she doesn't make a change.  My ex-boss' wife's mother has MS and is restricted to a wheelchair and has to wear adult diapers.  Her husband had been the one to take care of her, he was always thankfully healthy and young for his age.  One day he was playing racquetball, lost his balance while running, and bashed his skull into the wall.  He survived, but needed lots of care during his long recovery, so Michelle brought them both into her home.  In addition to taking care of their two children, keeping the house clean, the meals cooked, laundry done, etc., she had to change the diapers several times per day on both of her disabled parents, plus bathe them and everything else.  Can you imagine?  That is simply too much for one person to handle by themselves, right?  So I asked my boss, "Are you going to take some time off to help Michelle with all this until her dad is able to take care of himself and his wife again?"  He was the owner of the business, so he made his own rules and absolutely could have taken the time off, no problem.  But here's what he said to me, with a straight face:  "No, I'm not taking any time off, but I am lifting her up with prayer."  Now tell me, can you not imagine Sean saying the same thing on his way out the door to hop in his Porsche as he leaves Catherine behind to deal whatever enormous personal nightmare may have come their way, because life WILL eventually throw a shit storm on people...or should I say God will shit "challenges and opportunities" down on people no matter how devout and backwards (in my opinion) of a life they might be leading.

I didn't mind Sean having to try driving around in a minivan for a day or two, just so he can see that having kids means you don't always get to zip around in a cool car.  It was certainly less invasive and sadistic than making Jason get his chest waxed.  He was such a great sport about it, he really could have said no.  There are always these manufactured dramatic moments on this show, but Molly's approach was so much more situation appropriate.  I think back to when Jason cut her at the final rose, and she told him he was making a huge mistake, he would regret it later...not only was she right that he would regret it and come crawling back, she was so right about them belonging together.  Nice to see.

• Love 5

Did they have another car?  Or is Sean the type who says "you're a housewife, you don't need to go anywhere without me"?    Maybe Catherine really is STUCK at home. 

If that's true, then Sean is a much bigger asshole than I already thought. They could easily afford two mid-range cars for the price and upkeep of that Porsche.

This show looks scripted to me, but I really liked both the Mesnick and Lowe homes. They looked like typical homes that non-rich people live in. We didn't get to see too much of it, but Sean's parents' home looked like the kind of home that rich people do live in. That made me wonder if Sean really works for a living, or if he plays for a living with a generous subsidy from the folks. Might explain the Porsche.

As far as Catherine not working, I don't know. I used to feel challenged by work until I felt burdened by it. Sleeping until 9 or 10 doesn't sound too bad. If Sean really wants her to be a live-in maid, then that would be a sad life. But if he's not too demanding, then she has a lot of freedom to do as she pleases. And that sounds great.

I thought their body language in the limo after the meeting with all four was interesting. The Mesnicks were holding hands and sitting close together. The Lowes weren't touching and Catherine had her hands in her lap and looked like she purposely was trying not to be near Sean.

• Love 2

I watched it and came away thinking that Sean is still a righteous asshat and Wratherine is heading for a breakdown. The real winners from his season were the 24 women who 'lost'.

Molly and Jason, apart from never having his mom over to visit, were pretty awesome.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who would've thought that in 2015 that Sean Lowe and Mesnick would still be on our TV sets? They certainly have extended their 15 minutes of fame from The Bachelor into a plethora of "D-list" opportunities. Sean, Catherine, Jason, and Molly (along with this year's Bachelorette, Kaitlyn) all recently appeared together on Celebrity Family Feud. I wonder if that was filmed before or after Celebrity Wife Swap. Anyway, I'd say this is a new low for Celebrity Wife Swap. Who's gonna be on next week? Carrot Top and Pauly Shore?

The last time I saw Mesnick, other than briefly on Celebrity Family Feud, he was sniveling on a couch and telling Molly he made a mistake choosing Melissa over her. I thought Mesnick was such a bitch baby then and found it unbelievable at the time that Molly took him back. It turns out she knew what she was doing much to the chagrin of America. Despite starting on crappy terms and The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise having a very low success rate, Jason and Molly seem to have a happy, loving relationship where there's equality, support, and compromise. I actually liked Mesnick in this episode. Unlike Sean, despite working in real estate, he doesn't cop out of his household duties and makes time for his partner to do fun activities. He also seemed like a great dad always holding his adorable daughter.

Sean seemed more interested in playing flag football with his buddies or having a bbq with his family, or attending a bible study with other couples, and it just seems like he's still living like a bachelor and is married to have someone iron his socks and serve him bland food so that he can be free to do what he always done. There didn't seem to be a lot of equality or compromise in that relationship. It was Sean's way and that was the way. Sean would've never moved to Seattle to be with Catherine, and it sucks that she's the only one sacrificing. I got the feeling watching this that she wants to lead a more exciting life and explore new activities with Sean, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will deviate from his regimen. He wants to eat the same bland food, go to the same restaurants, and hang out with the same people. Poor Catherine, who I remember loving on The Bachelor, is (or maybe was) a vivacious, intelligent, and beautiful woman, and it's sad to see the sort of Stepford Wife she has become. She can do better and deserves better than someone who is going to leave her a to-do list.

To Sean's credit, IIRC (and I may have this wrong), on The Bachelor, he did say he wanted a traditional family in which the wife stayed at home, so Catherine did make that marriage decision knowing what she was getting into. I'm betting she didn't think it was going to be like this though. Sean kept saying that he was "cool," but I thought he came off as a tool in this episode. Yes, much of that is editing, but there was enough there to feel bad for Catherine. She might think she's living a good life, but I think her marriage is holding her back from realizing her full potential. It seems like she's kind of trapped in Sean's world IMO.

That Wratherine sure was a scary and lame creature. She made Mesnick get his chest waxed, but was horrified that Sean tried Ethiopian food for the first time with Molly. That's pretty nutty.

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 4

As for the getting out and seeing things, they are a young couple--why wouldn't they go do things on the weekends other than the same restaurants, picnic in their backyard, etc? Why live near Dallas but not do anything remotely interesting. I wouldn't need a man to show me around, I would go exploring on my own if need be. I love to see new cities and places. I have only been to Dallas once, but I have a feeling I have seen more of it than Catherine.....

Well, according to the women on this show, Dallas is "boring," "no fun," "humid," and "nasty." Maybe you and I just collectively hallucinated that it's a vibrant, cosmopolitan city with great culture, museums, sports, shopping, restaurants, and activities. (Okay fine, the humid part is true, but it's better than Houston!) It was depressing to see everyone act like Dallas is the pits and Seattle is just so superior. They're both nice, if your head is out of your butt!

I'd never seen or heard of any of these people before. I found them all kind of boring. Maybe that's why some of them are so bored. "Only boring people get bored," as my mom would say every summer when we whined...

If I got to host a radio morning show I'd be ready to roll -- maybe they didn't tell her to prep, but her reaction of "tee hee I'm just a girl that should be enough" really sucked. How about "I'll get right on it" or "yeah, I have read news at some point in the past week"? Frankly I'd be trying to steal that job!

• Love 2
(edited)

Catherine seems depressed and codependent. Dallas may be a cool city with a lot of opportunity, but if your husband is your only friend and you feel like you don't have worth on your own, you won't have the boldness to go explore and make new friends alone. It's hard for anyone. Going to a museum alone isn't going to solve her problem. She needs a counselor. Maybe marriage boot camp will help.

That said, the show for sure took some liberties. Catherine's tv appearances give her something to do, at least.

Wasn't she a freelance writer? Does she still have a blog?

Eta: on the other hand, maybe it wasn't an exaggeration: http://thewellstudio.co/the-bachelor-the-bible-catherine-lowes-faith-story/

It does say she started a stationery line, but it ended not long after. http://www.wetpaint.com/catherine-lowe-announces-life-change-834606/

Edited by betha

Poor Catherine. She seems like a fantastic person, yet she's saddled into a life with a controlling jerk and no life. How is she is a stay at home mom when there are no kids? She should be out doing what she loves, or working from home or finding a hobby. How depressing.

Minivan is not the way to go if you are thinking about one kid- that scene had to be fake. You can get an SUV or even a damn sedan.

How insecure is this chick that her husband can't try new food without her?!  If he jumps off a bridge is she going to be pissed that she couldn't jump off with him???

I never did care for Sean.  This just showed how bad he truly is.  He thinks much more highly of himself than I do.  Catherine needs to get out and take a cooking class or join a book club.  Anything to meet some new people and make friends of her own.  But somehow I think that would threaten Sean.  

• Love 5

I've always found Catherine and Sean absolutely unbearable, and this show (scripted though it may be) just confirmed that.  Sean has always been a completely self-absorbed doofus, with the personality and intellectual curiosity of a gnat, but it clear that all the press/attention he got as Bachelor has completely gone to his head.  

On the other hand, I don't see Catherine as a victim.  I think she is also self-absorbed, bitchy, and pretty lazy.  Her instagram is filled with elaborately posed selfies of her doing ballet, at the gym, etc. (Side note:  whenever I see these type of pictures, I always wonder, who is taking this picture? I can't imagine asking someone to take a picture of myself in my ballet gear, and then posting it on social media.)  Anyway, I think that if she really wanted to have a career, she would.  But, like Sean, she's pretty lazy.  She'd rather hang around town taking selfies, traveling to LA to do various reality tv appearances, and bask in the comments of random people on social media who talk about how she and Sean are so beautiful and the greatest thing since sliced bread.

While I do think it would be absolutely miserable being married to Sean, and I do think that he likely sets the agenda so that they are doing what he wants to do (e.g., go to familiar restaurants, drink iced tea with his family, play flag football with his friends), I don't think she would be a peach to be married to, either.  I agree with the poster upthread who said that the whole waxing thing with Jason -- besides being totally stupid -- showed some latent passive-aggression and anger, likely towards Sean.   

I also thought she was a total bitch in the radio station.  She didn't even acknowledge the "junior DJs" Kat and Ben (I only know them because I live in Seattle) but only the co-host, Bender (who, fun fact, appeared on Jason's season and is now Molly's co-host).  Her saying that she hadn't prepared at all for the show and the "I'm just a girl, tee hee" was pretty annoying.  And the Wratherine was too annoying for words.  She and Sean are both two total children who deserve each other.

Funnily enough, she was on the radio in Seattle yesterday and said that she thought she came off well.  I personally thought she came off nearly as bad as Sean did.  (Sean, by the way, is totally butthurt at his portrayal and posting all sorts of excuses on twitter, including that everything was scripted and that he only said things because the producers told him to.  Saying untrue things for money?? Doesn't sound very Christian to me.)

Anyway, I didn't particularly like Jason and Molly during their season.  I still think Jason is kind of dumb and Molly's eyes still scare me, but I actually really enjoyed them on this show.  They seem like a regular couple who is trying to balance busy lives, career, and family in the best way possible.  They seem like they are real partners and also really like each other.  Sean and Catherine probably have their heads stuck too far up their asses to learn from them, though.

• Love 8

This is Sean's version:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/seanlowe/2015/07/5-things-you-wouldnt-know-about-me-if-you-only-watched-wife-swap/

So, I know that scripting occurs...but please explain to me why Jason and Molly were able to look remotely like themselves (or what I would guess they would be), and Sean/Catherine would allow themselves to be so off the mark (and then express shock that it looked bad on tv)?  I am confused.  I am not sure I am buying his response.

• Love 7

Thanks for posting that, Alexa! Well, his campaign worked on me. I buy it. Starting off with this helped:

1) I’ve never written a list of chores for Catherine to do and if I did, I’m pretty sure she would laugh at me. And if I ever asked her to iron my socks, she’d probably leave me. And if I ever thought about ironing my own socks, I’d punch myself. 

Very funny!

I've never had much of an opinion on Sean Lowe outside of I found him fairly humorless when he did Dancing With the Stars.  I don't watch the Bachelor franchise.  I also read Sean's defense of his actions.  Here is the part I don't get.  I fully buy that parts of this show are manipulated or scripted.  Duh.  Anyone who knows anything about reality television should know that.  However it shouldn't have been a total surprise to Sean and Catherine as to how they were going to be depicted.  If you go along with the antics that TPTB want you to provide, and you are self aware enough to know the antics are fairly doucheworthy, then what did you think was going to happen in editing?  If the show asks you to write a to-do list with chores for your faux bride, then what did you think the show was going to do with it?  

Like either have a backbone and don't go alone with TPTB's antics or deal with the consequences.  The show can't use crap you don't give them. It just seems a tad too convenient that a guy whose whole fame is based on endless appearances on reality television all of a sudden is crowing editing.  You have been on a zillion reality shows already buddy.  You more than anyone should know how it works.

• Love 6

This did nothing to improve my opinion of Sean.  If anything, he seems worse - possibly because now that he has married a woman who has fallen in line with what he wants, he no longer has to pretend not to be a completely selfish ass.  When I saw him and Catherine sitting with their Small Group from church I shuddered, because I don't know if it's just a southern Baptist thing, but I've had friends who got involved with that exact same kind of couples "love language" group discussions, and I watched them turn into people I didn't even recognize, especially my girlfriend who I'd been close to since high school.  She'd always been confident, independent, had opinions... but by the last time I was with her she was like some kind of 1950's Stepford wife who "understood" that God wanted her to be a good wife, which meant her husband was the master of the household, and what he says goes.  She started getting an allowance instead of being able to just use their joint account like she'd done before, she was admonishing HERSELF if dinner wasn't on the table at the time she had promised it would be, and weekend activities were decided by her husband which meant she started to go with him on hunting trips as basically his lackey.  I had to peace out from the friendship because watching all that made me feel ill, and I could feel the same stirrings when I saw that not only had Sean made a To Do list of chores that Catherine was to have done by the time he came home, but he had drawn a cross on it, as if to remind her that this is what God wants her to do.  So.  Gross. 

It is so disgusting.  I am from the Dallas area and there are a lot of these types here.  I just can't be around them, at all.  Man's the head of the household!  Pfft, my DH and I are equal partners.  If he EVER left me a list he would find it up his ass. Of course in the south, god is used a lot to guilt people into things. Vomit

Catherine was one of my favorite b-ette--she seemed so full of life, so naturally beautiful (pre-TB false eyelashes), she really lit up a room with a nice energy and good humor. She seemed to enjoy working at Amazon, to have fun and be someone you'd like to know.

This was a depressing episode, to see how she has changed, as she's been molded by her egotistical Bible-toting self-centered husband who makes the marriage all about him and feels great about it. I hope when she sees the contrast with their marriage and Jason and Molly (whom I always hated, but now have to say that they seem to have a really good marriage, loving and unselfish) she will think about it more (that tweet aside, since it was probably written by Sean anyway.)  Why, Catherine, why? And I remember his father, who I'm sure has found many words to share about Jason and Molly's choices in life--none of them positive.

It's sad to see a young woman with so much promise give it all up for an arrogant, selfish d-bag who clearly doesn't give two cents about anything she likes or wants or feels. Is it really 2015? Sad.

• Love 2