Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Someone I know refers to Wilson as "The Hardy Boys".  While writing a young man's coming out and find his way as a gay man was forward thinking for stodgy DOOL, for the most part it has been dull.  Wilson is the safe version of a gay couple.  I was thinking yesterday even the mixup with the stripper was a way to avoid any controversial storytelling.

I have nothing against GW but I am just not warming to his Will.  Fans should have been able to see CM be the groom at this wedding.  The way this whole episode of shame went down reeked of petty retribution.  As usual when show decide to make a point the fans are the ones who pay the price.

My other UO is I have grown to hate Maggie.  Egg mommy drives me batty.  She is the reason Victor is toothless and benign when he should be showing his muscle. VK should have never been put out to pasture.

• Love 2

Oh Maggie has become absolutely intolerable. Preachy and screechy and wayyyyy too much of a Dannifer cheerleader.

Similarly, I am also done with Maxine for similar reasons. That dinner party speech was the worst thing ever.

• Love 3

I wish they would write another serial killer story and let me come up with the hit list.

Where's the serial killer?  I want most of the characters dead, and if it means Marlena has to be possessed by the devil again, so be it.

• Love 2

I want most of the characters dead, and if it means Marlena has to be possessed by the devil again, so be it.

Given the title of the thread, I guess this is as good a place as any to admit my absolute love for the possession storyline! There were so many things wrong with it, but I loved the camp and the ridiculousness of it.

I was the afternoon bartender at a sports-themed restaurant at the time, and I'd have it on one of the screens at the bar. When that story kicked in, my regular customers started watching (and laughing) along with me. We even had customers who'd schedule their lunch hour so they could come in and watch the show at the bar. Those few months were the most fun I've ever had watching the show.

• Love 6

I for one am glad Chandler was shown the door before his contract ended. I hated his smirky, aren't-I-marvellous method of acting. Also, he didn't show up at all during his last two months on the show. He continuously took me out of the scene with his completely unnecessarily smirking. Not to mention his line delivery that looked like he was reading off of cue cards. Chandler was also really awkward in love/kissing scenes and with him in the role, Will/Sonny felt more like buddies that occasionally had luke-warm sex under the covers in complete darkness. There was no passion there with Chandler and Freddie.

I have fallen in love with Will again because of Guy Wilson. He's brought such warmth to the role, not to mention sensuality. Chandler might be better looking but Guy looks like someone you could have fun rolling in the hay with. Now W&S feel more like a couple crazy in love. The kisses are more passionate (I swear, I have seen tongue action in a few of them) and Freddie obviously looks more comfortable around Guy.

• Love 3

I think the Dimeras are completely useless.  Stefano is a caricature.  Kristen's return was pointless.  EJ looks pathetic for cheating on the woman he has claimed to want for years with a whiney, annoying, immature child.  EJ also looks stupid for risking everything by continuing to go along with his relatives lame schemes.

• Love 1

Guy Wilson is like a Stepford Wife to me. His facial expression barely changes, and often doesn't reflect the emotion of the scene around him. There's a sort of plastered, vacant smile most of the time, and sometimes, a sort of vacant, confused concern. That's it.

My Days UO is that I don't hate Jennifer. I find her bland, but inoffensively so. But she's a part of the fabric and history of the show for me (been watching on-and-off since birth), so I appreciate her presence. When I was a kid, watching over my mom's shoulder from the kitchen table at lunch, I thought Jennifer and Hope were like the coolest girls in the world, and I still have affection for both of them. But I do hate Daniel, so their relationship is not of interest to me at all.

• Love 2

My Days UO is that I don't hate Jennifer. I find her bland, but inoffensively so. But she's a part of the fabric and history of the show for me (been watching on-and-off since birth), so I appreciate her presence

I agree. She annoys me these days, but I have enough residual good feelings towards her that the annoyance hasn't turned into full on hate. It's why I still love Julie, who's been reduced to a shrieking harpy. I hate what the show has done to the Hortons.

• Love 2
I hate what the show has done to the Hortons

Yes, Tom and especially Alice are probably rolling over in their grave at the way that Julie, Jennifer, Abigail all act. I bet Gran would be able to smell Nick's shit a mile away. She was no fool. 

• Love 3

But she's a part of the fabric and history of the show for me (been watching on-and-off since birth), so I appreciate her presence. When I was a kid, watching over my mom's shoulder from the kitchen table at lunch, I thought Jennifer and Hope were like the coolest girls in the world, and I still have affection for both of them. But I do hate Daniel, so their relationship is not of interest to me at all.

I agree. She annoys me these days, but I have enough residual good feelings towards her that the annoyance hasn't turned into full on hate. It's why I still love Julie, who's been reduced to a shrieking harpy. I hate what the show has done to the Hortons.

Yes, Tom and especially Alice are probably rolling over in their grave at the way that Julie, Jennifer, Abigail all act. I bet Gran would be able to smell Nick's shit a mile away. She was no fool.

I like reading your comments, even though I don't have any good feelings for Jennifer - or Julie either at this point. Your posts remind me what a newish viewer like me lacks in perspective that longtime fans like you have. You got to see - and remember - when these characters were written differently, and nothing but nothing will dim your affection for them. That's part of the beauty of soap history.

I used to feel the same way about AMC, when a new viewer would "hate" Dixie, or even worse, "like" Ryan. From what they were seeing onscreen, I could get it. But my history with the show left me unable to ever dislike Dixie, or EVER (and I mean EVER, LOL) like Ryan.

Soaps are such a unique entertainment experience, aren't they?

• Love 1

I can only go so far when it comes to those leftover feelings, though. I adored and rooted for Sami back when she was a scheming teen (even with the bad acting), but somewhere beginning with Stan, it all went wrong. It wasn't until EJ came along that I completely turned on her, though. She's been insufferable since then.

I'm a Sami apologist I guess so there's probably nothing she could do that would make me turn against her. I absolutely loathe Ejami though and all that pairing has accomplished is making me hate EJ for most of his time in Salem.

• Love 3

I love Sami, and I hate what the pairing with EJ has done to her.  It's really annoying because while I see the chemistry between AS and JS, I don't believe Sami would willingly choose to be with EJ.  Besides the idiot writers keep doing the same SL over and over again.  EJ lies to Sami, or does something worse, Sami finds out about it, and feels like a fool.  For once, I would like to see Sami totally destroy EJ's life, walk away, never look back, and not care at all how much damage she has done to him.

• Love 4

See, I think Guy Wilson sucks. I don't think he can act, and his skin looks kind of...slimy?  I would take Chandler back in a heartbeat.

I would too. Don't like this Guy guy at all. LOL  Nick is the one who gives me the heebies.

• Love 2

MY UO is that I really do love this show. I watched it years ago but stopped watching when Marlena was possessed.. it totally turned me off and I tuned out.  I was a big time Y&R watcher but the show has become so bad that I picked up days again last year and I just LOVE IT!! The whole show. It makes me laugh, it makes me mad... it makes me want to slap some of the characters.. I never ff.. just the commercials..The show has so many strong females where as Y&R has none right now and it sucks..the show is entertaining.. it has so many dynamic characters that I find I could watch longer than an hour every day.. it is a fun show.. it may have a few things I would change but overall I think Days is by far the most entertaining soap on the air right now..

Nick is the slimiest character ever but I just love to hate him.. he makes me feel ewwwwwwwwww everytime I see him.. only a good actor can do that.. he plays slimeball perfect.

Sami is my all time fave soap character.. she is feisty, impulsive, stubborn and willing to do anything to protect those she loves. She has heart. I will really miss AS.

• Love 1

In real life, a child so manipulative would be horrifying.  On TV, it's kind of entertaining.  I'm a person who hates the sitcom precocious kid trope, but I enjoy Ciara.  I liked Aidan for the first time as Ciara explained the facts of life to him and he silently just handed over the goods.

• Love 4

I love EJ. I don't care; love him. And I didn't mind the Abby affair; it was kind of hot (?) and I am SO sick of him having to dig Sami out of her idiotic messes.

I like Sami too, but she is a grade A moron sometimes.

I love Nick, too. I root for him to win (although that's coming to an end). I figure if his enemies can't use their collective brain to stop him, then they deserve to lose. I also think the actor is hot in a nerdy sort of way.

• Love 2

My unpopular opinion is that I love Nicole. 

I always root for her and I hate that they keep having her go from trying to be good to being an idiot with the Dr Chyka paperwork.  I know it was wrong for her to keep the info from Eric but at this point, I don't care.  I just want her to have something work out for once, even if it is with boring Eric.  I'm pissed that they had her destroy the Chyka papers - it would've been so much better, IMO, for her to have given them to Eric and have him still pick her in the end.  She was headed that way but then, nope, back to idiot Nicole.  Now that Dr Dan has the paperwork, the happy engagement is just about over and we'll be back to everyone judging and hating Nicole regardless of what she does. 

Oh well, at least she's a pretty crier.

• Love 7

My unpopular opinion is that I love Nicole. 

Oh well, at least she's a pretty crier.

Me too.  And she is an excellent crier.  I know Nicole has a list of transgressions a mile long, but I generally enjoy the character and the actress a lot.  I dislike how stupid they've made her - and how desperate - with Eric. 

Eric is a nice enough guy but he's not in her league at all.  I can't think of a character in Salem who is, though.

• Love 3

Ok this is a little embarrassing.  I haven't really liked a teen/young adult pairing since Phil and Tara days on AMC, or the young (ONLY the young) Haley on that same show - Tad and Hillary were ok.  But other than those, zip nada none.

BUT I do like JJ.  And maybe Paige.  I think both of them are decent actors, and whatshisname who plays JJ has gotten better since he started. 

I'm less than enthralled with the travails of young love, I guess, but I do enjoy watching both actors - especially when they're not interacting with his horrid mother or sister.  I'm afraid that now that Paige has confided in Jennifer, she won't be able to stop herself - as if she ever tries - from interfering in everything they do.  If they keep JJ too close to his family he's going to be singing soprano sooner rather than later.  The Deveraux women like their men docile - or mute - or, at least, repeating "You're right, dear" over and over in an endless loop.

I hope JJ and Paige escape that fate.

Me too.  And she is an excellent crier.  I know Nicole has a list of transgressions a mile long, but I generally enjoy the character and the actress a lot.  I dislike how stupid they've made her - and how desperate - with Eric. 

Eric is a nice enough guy but he's not in her league at all.  I can't think of a character in Salem who is, though.

AZ is probably the best actress on the show, and I love Nicole despite the writing. It's a tribute to her acting ability that she's able to remain even somewhat sympathetic. And I hate Marlena (who I used to like back when she was with Don Craig and then the original Roman), so seeing her suffer because of Eric's relationship is just an extra thrill.

• Love 2

I liked EJ/Abby because it served the necessary (well, to me) purpose of knocking Sami Brady down a few pegs, but it's gone on far too long.

As much as people complain about KM as an actress, I think JS is the worst acting offender in this storyline. Whether he's bored, hates the story, is confused by the direction, or if it's because his bad hair makes his bad acting harder to overlook these days, I think he's doing a terrible job. KM is trying, at least, even if her characterization is a little off. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it's a great point that EJ is phoning it in.  I can't blame tall, dark and handsome for his low hairline though.  Yes, KM is trying and it makes me think they actually casted her true to life.  Naive, full of herself.  She believes the whole thing just as Abby does.  They've done that with other stupid characters too like Dan and Brady and John.  I doubt they're playing outside of their comfort zone. 

Jen Lilly is a treasure.  I screamed at the telly while they focused on unblinking Brady with the wind blowing through his head, while Teresa was delivering an emmy performance.  It's not about doing an entire vial of blow at a sitting.  It's about maintaining - what did she say? - smooth as glass.  A little booze, a little bump.  And that's my unpopular opinion.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

I think it's a great point that EJ is phoning it in.  I can't blame tall, dark and handsome for his low hairline though.  Yes, KM is trying and it makes me think they actually casted her true to life.  Naive, full of herself.  She believes the whole thing just as Abby does.  They've done that with other stupid characters too like Dan and Brady and John.  I doubt they're playing outside of their comfort zone. 

Jen Lilly is a treasure.  I screamed at the telly while they focused on unblinking Brady with the wind blowing through his head, while Teresa was delivering an emmy performance.  It's not about doing an entire vial of blow at a sitting.  It's about maintaining - what did she say? - smooth as glass.  A little booze, a little bump.  And that's my unpopular opinion.

I love your "unpopular" opinion.  Everything you said about KM rings true, going by the interview I read with her.  What she says about Abigail and EJ in that article is sure as hell not what I see on screen.  I do think she works hard, though - I'll certainly give her that.  JS.....I dunno.  Sometimes I think he phones it in.  It takes more than calling someone by their full name to make it "dramatic".  But I don't think I ever see him phoning it in when he's in a scene with AS.  And I did think he was very good when he scared the hell out of Abigail earlier this week.

John.....Brady.....Dan......blowup dolls, at best.

• Love 1

Everything you said about KM rings true, going by the interview I read with her.  What she says about Abigail and EJ in that article is sure as hell not what I see on screen.

I'm not sure who decided KM should become the official show spokeswoman but they made a terrible mistake. Her interpretations are the exact opposite of what's playing out on screen. It's like KM only focuses on her lines when reading the script and doesn't pay attention to what's going on with the other people in the scene/ And I don't like how she's given 225263 interviews this year while JS has given like one and AS has done none.

I want Sami and Kate to kick Stefano and EJ's asses, and run the Dimeras out of Salem for good.

They've had 7 years to do that, though. As much as I would have liked Sami to take down EJ, it should have happened years ago. If it happens now, it will only be because AS and JS are leaving and that's a total cop out. Not that this show is above copping out, but it's a case of too little, too late for me when it comes to Sami. 

I enjoy Paige and JJ.

The fact that she knew Bev was scamming her immediately and it didn't drag out as some long story where they had to figure it out after 3 months of looking like idiots was avoided and for that alone I like her.  

I think they're cute together and void of huge issues like marrying someone who was kicked out of the priesthood.  Or the 9,000th breakup of Dan and Jen.  Oh no!

They're innocent so far.  I don't even care that the storyline makes Bev and Rory look like assholes.  

• Love 3
My unpopular opinion is that I like Gabi, I sincerely don't care that she caused the explosion that rocked Salem. Her actions rid Salem of Jack & that made Gabi one of my faves.

Good point! I've disliked Jack since the day he came between Steve and Kayla--hated him since he raped her-- so he's one death I'd never mourn on this show. Kuddos too for the explosion taking out Miss Mad World (Brady's ex that I can't even remember her name). The fact that Gabby has now taken out Nick (another character I detest) makes her oddly useful in a strange kinda dumb as rocks way.  Perhaps EJ should call her next time he needs someone "taken care of." Hint, hint--Abigail. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't understand why Rory stabbed his bud JJ in the back.

Rory is like a puppy, he's not the brighest crayon in the box but he sure jumps at shiny things. I think he resents JJ spending time with his gf and not his buddies anymore, this has been going on well before Paige.  I hope Paige and Rory find out neither of their home lives are so great and strike a friendship.  Like others, I'm stoked Paige saw through Bev immediately and I hope there's room for a friendship there, too.  Could be a great summer with these kids if it's true.

I like Rory, I'd love to see him delivering pizzas all over town.  To the Dimeras for instance and inadvertently picking up vital information during one of their vase throwing arguments.  Randomly walking through a scene with a pizza bag would crack me up to no end.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 5
I like Rory, I'd love to see him delivering pizzas all over town.  To the Dimeras for instance and inadvertently picking up vital information during one of their vase throwing arguments.  Randomly walking through a scene with a pizza bag would crack me up to no end.

That's it!  Now I know how the big Ejabby sex reveal turn out so different from EJ's "dream."   In the midst of the reveal between Sami and EJ, Johnny will ask for pizza for dinner, they'll order it, EJ will pay Rory the pizza boy and then Sami will pick up a slice, throw it at Ej, and then miss and hit Stef's portrait! Gooey cheese will drip down Stef's illustrated face. When Abby shows up at the Dimera mansion, Sami will shove her face, big buggy eyes and all, into the rest of the pizza box, and smear the pizza sauce in her hair. Ciera will happen to be there with a camera and post the pics all over Abby's Facebook account, tagging Jennifer so she gets immediate notification, and Abby is humiliated. Ciera should probably get to reveal somehow that she knew already and have a line line, "that's what you get for begging to be EJ Dimera's mistress." Sami then buys Ciera more expensive earrings.  They won't win an Emmy's for the scene but at least half of the viewers will pee themselves laughing. 

• Love 4

I love Nicole too. I think AZ is the best actress on the show and has done an amazing job of making her sympathetic over the years despite her bad behavior (and I think all the nuance comes from AZ, because we all know the writers can't do nuance). With Nicole I actually can believe her actions come from being at heart an abused child who's never known security, as opposed to Sami where I always think it's coming from her total lack of impulse control. I actually had to quit watching after Nicole shredded the papers because I was so angry that the writers won't let me have nice things, and I still haven't gotten over it enough to come back. 

Lauren Boles might be the second-best actress on the show, but I agree that Ciara is a little brat, even when I agree with her about Hope's generally piss-poor parenting. The time she whined about Theo still having a dad and tried to use it to guilt Hope, I wanted someone to lecture her on how Theo's mom is dead, never coming back, you selfish little brat. But if the show is on long enough, she'll make the best troubled teen ever. I doubt this one is an unpopular opinion, but I'd also rather have Bo killed off than for the show to expect me to swallow that he's abandoned his clearly troubled child like this. 

• Love 3
The fact that she knew Bev was scamming her immediately and it didn't drag out as some long story where they had to figure it out after 3 months of looking like idiots was avoided and for that alone I like her.

I liked that too - it was a nice surprise on a show that rarely has surprises anymore.  I'm still pissed though that they changed Bev and Rory into a couple of assholes.  

I actually had to quit watching after Nicole shredded the papers because I was so angry that the writers won't let me have nice things, and I still haven't gotten over it enough to come back.

That was the turning point for me with Nicole - I was with her till that.  I don't understand why the writers would have her shred the documents just to create conflict. It made her look pathetic and desperate and that's not a good look on anyone.  At this point, I wish they would kill off Nicole and bring AZ in as another character - someone who was confident and funny and witty, all things that AZ excels at.

• Love 1

At this point, I wish they would kill off Nicole and bring AZ in as another character - someone who was confident and funny and witty, all things that AZ excels at.

I'd be so down with that. I also wish they'd bring back MA as a new character, funny and witty minus the rapist baggage and the inexplicable devotion to Jennifer. Seriously, I daydream about Jennifer becoming obsessed with this new character and him refusing to give her the time of day. 

I wish Maggie and Victor would break up. They were so cute when they were falling in love but they really don't have anything in common and Maggie just drives me crazy these days with her constant Daniel propping and refusal to let Victor be Victor. I sort of wish Victor had been behind Nick's death so we could have seen a blowout fight between Victor and Maggie where Maggie yells about Victor putting his family before hers and Victor asks when she stopped being related to Will. 

• Love 4
I also wish they'd bring back MA as a new character, funny and witty minus the rapist baggage and the inexplicable devotion to Jennifer.

YES!  I would love for MA to come back as someone different.   They really need to add some humor to the show and he was always good for that.  Plus he would be free of Jennifer and that would be great.  There seem to be indications that Jennifer and Eric will hook up and I think that's a much better pairing for her now.  Someone as dull and intensely serious as she is. 

I agree too that Maggie has taken Victor's mojo.  He is at his best when he is being Victor.  One of my favorite parts of the Brady/Kristen wedding disaster was everyone upset with Victor and he couldn't care less.  Just mission accomplished - everyone will get over it.  It really is a shame that Sonny didn't bring Victor in on the Nick mess. I feel like things would have turned out so much differently (and better!).

• Love 5

Another refugees from TWOP here.  Glad to have found this place.  My unpopular opinion?  I don't miss Bo.  I'm really enjoying Hope and Aiden together and look forward to their relationship going forward.  Divorce Bo, kill him off, I don't care. 

Also I'll miss Sami when she leave, but I won't miss EJ.  Now I like EJ as a villain, but I get the feeling the show wants us to see EJ as a heroic romantic leading man and an evil bastard.  Only the evil bastard part works for me.  The character needs a long rest.