Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I don't care about Eve at all.

I feel very meh about her now.  I don't appreciate what she and Jen are doing to Paige and JJ - who seem to be the most mature people on the show these days - so I think that colors my opinion.  And anything that gives Jennifer more airtime sucks in my book.  Jennifer and Abigail need to be on a LOT less - like Kayla/Adrienne levels of less.  They can pop up at picnics to bring a basket of food or run into someone at Brady's Pub, but that's it.  There is no story line in the world that would make me care about Jen and Abby. So poor Eve has been shoved into their boring vortex and I can hardly bother to watch them.

Maybe Eve could start a house of prostitution in Salem and put her kid through school that way.  She could go head-to-head with Victor.  I could kinda see Eve as a bawdy, smart madam.  This book thing is a big snooze to me.  I need Eve to interact with someone else besides Jen's inner circle and that includes Dr Hobo.

• Love 3

Jennifer and Abigail need to be on a LOT less - like Kayla/Adrienne levels of less. They can pop up at picnics to bring a basket of food or run into someone at Brady's Pub, but that's it.

Or donuts. They can always bring donuts.

• Love 5
(edited)

This UO is now official: I loathe Eric. He's among the five or six characters I'd most like to see off the show, and believe me when I say that there is VERY stiff competition for that dishonor! I don't disagree with the popular opinion that he's played by an attractive actor, but for me he's actually so much less attractive and appealing due to the fact that he's such a self-righteous, sanctimonious, personality-challenged drip. He's just so snooze-worthy and boring for me, which is one of the most egregious sins a soap character can commit :) 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah,  my unpopular opinion is that I don't think Sami is doing much of anything to Abigail.

I've seen worse in Lifetime movies and A and E's Biography.

Well, so far anyway...

I've seen a lot of talk -- but the action part seems to be more related to EJ's (or Daddy's?) company, which has nothing to do with Abigail.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 3
(edited)

Although JJ supposedly went looking for Sami, only to run into Eve first, breaking up the fight she had with Abby, who I assumed was looking for Ben, who had already met with Sami because she's faster... wheww...  All because Jenn pulled a Willy Wonka and lamely told her kids "stop, don't" when they ran out of the house.   Because she was more interested in whining to Fr Eric about her own personal problems instead of telling her daughter YOU DID IT AGAIN?.  BTW it's my opinion that entire town of Salem is humoring Eric into thinking he's still a priest because he has this weird need to counsel people badly.  As in badly counsel people.  His mother's son. 

My unpopular opinion is that I said GO JJ during this speech and I agree with every word  OK, except never raising her voice. He took none of Eve's manipulation this time and she was blessedly speechless by the end:

Eve:  She slapped me JJ.
JJ:  Are you surprised? You know, there's something you need to understand.Just because my mom is a Horton and just because she doesn't raise her voice or just because she brought us up saying thank you and please doesn't mean that we're going to let you sail into Salem and try to roll over our famly. Not without a fight.
Eve:  Are you threatening me JJ?
JJ:  No, I'm the one in the family who actually wants a truce and you know why. But ever since you've come back you are headbutting my mother. And my sister might have overreacted just then but you have been the aggressor every step of the way.
Eve:  I have not.
JJ:  Oh come on.  Were you the one with the process server on the doorstep on the way to Paige's graduation?
Eve:  no answer, shakes head
JJ: You did that to my mom. And then you made sure everyone found out while my mom was trying to keep quiet so she didn't ruin my graduation. And then you demanded more money. And I'm pretty sure you gave as good as you got right now with Abigail.  So, I am not threatening you. I am informing you.  You need to dial it back or things are going to get much worse. And you will not get what you want. It was nice talking to you.

And if he's smart he won't call her Eve. Our boy is growing up.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

This UO is now official: I loathe Eric. He's among the five or six characters I'd most like to see off the show, and believe me when I say that there is VERY stiff competition for that dishonor! I don't disagree with the popular opinion that he's played by an attractive actor, but for me he's actually so much less attractive and appealing due to the fact that he's such a self-righteous, sanctimonious, personality-challenged drip. He's just so snooze-worthy and boring for me, which is one of the most egregious sins a soap character can commit :) 

I completely agree.  I actually like Greg Vaughn a lot and I think he's wasted in the role of Eric.  Eric has zero personality.  I have a secret wish that the writers will create an alternate character for GV or maybe cause a personality switch for Eric.  The way Eric is now, I would be fine if they kicked him off the show.  He adds nothing but eye candy.

• Love 5

My not so unpopular opinion is that I dislike Eve. My actually unpopular opinion is that I think KDP is awful. I get that she's capable of more, but I'm not seeing it. The cutesy, aging southern belle voice isn't helping matters, but her acting overall has yet to impress. Her flirting with Daniel makes me cringe. It's awkward, and not the endearing kind of awkward that comes from a woman who doesn't know how to flirt, but the desperate kind of awkward. I haven't decided it it's scripted that way, or if it's just something in the way KDP is playing it.

On a shallow, and possibly mean, note: I also think she looks rough. Her lips are too thin and her eye makeup makes her look old and washed up. I love me some CS, but please keep Shane away from her. There's no way I'd believe she was his kid.

• Love 3
My actually unpopular opinion is that I think KDP is awful. I get that she's capable of more, but I'm not seeing it.

I have to admit that I'm not enjoying her in the role.  I hope with time and maybe other storylines, she will settle into the role of Eve and it won't be so brassy and in-your-face.  I liked her as Blair and I think she has the chops, but I just can't get all that enthusiastic about her as Eve.  And I hate that awful moaning Eve theme which from what I'm reading is actually KDP herself.  Whose stupid idea was that?

• Love 2

I really hate to say it, but I'm underwhelmed right now with Eve.  And as much as I love KdP, I'm not seeing yet where this character is going to end up.  

But I remember how little I cared for Theresa when she first appeared, and how long it took for the writers to give her enough to work with for me to want to see more and be interested in the character.  Now, even with this Jawn nonsense, I'm still engaged with the character.  I'm hoping that will be the endgame with KdP as Eve, too.

But I might just be being hopeful.  They've had all this time and more with Jordan and I'm still not feeling it.

KdP is too good IMO to be wasted.  It's still early days, but.......HURRY UP, SHOW!!

• Love 3

I won't say I don't care about Kristen's return; that would be a lie. I care about it very much, in that I think it's stupid, and it will make me give up on the show altogether.

I don't think Shawn Christian (Daniel) is a bad actor, and I don't even think Daniel is a bad character. He's really only skeevy when they attempt to pair him with women, but when he gets to be a problem-solver and is given action-adventure type stuff to do, he's kind of entertaining. Maybe he should have been written as a detective-- preferably a celibate one.

Supah-unpopular opinion: I can't say I hate Jennifer either. I first started watching the show when Missy Reeves (in her pre-Reeves days) was still a teenager about my age. I grew up with her, kind of, so there's a sort of nostalgic affection there. It's true that she is sickeningly santimonious much of the time. But sometimes she is also right about things. (hides)

I'm kind of liking the idea of JJ sleeping with Eve because it allows me to have some inappropriate cougar thoughts about JJ, who is a nice-looking young man. I like that Paige is written as a responsible young woman, but she bores me. However, JJ sleeping with Eve would be way better if Eve were actually played by Charlotte Ross.

I've been pro-EJami for a long time but do not like the Abby affair storyline at all. It makes me not care about them as a couple anymore. I would have liked it better if EJ had had an affair with Will, as played by Chandler Massey. Ah, what could have been.

I think Ali Sweeney is a really fun actress. Maybe not an Oscar caliber actress, but I always thought her timing and delivery and acting choices were interesting to watch. The show is going to lose a lot of its luster for me once Sami's gone.

And one that hasn't been mentioned lately but that used to get brought up at TwOP sometimes: I don't think Kristian Alfonso (Hope) is anorexic. She is very slim, but I think she looks great. 

Also, I thought Nick was hot.

• Love 1

You had me until JJ sleeping with Eve.  I will never, ever watch anything that wrong and disgusting. Words cannot express... 

My unpopular opinion is I am enjoying every single second of Samantha Gene Brady.  She is masterful in her planning and actions. Every sentence is a perfect spear.  Abs deserves this and much more.  I guess I'm shocked some people feel bored or expect to be bored while this awesome storyline is still unfolding.  If this isn't a fun soap storyline I don't know what is.

I love how it was EJ's turn to be taunted.  EJ, I have to say, is disappointing me in his performance.  I gave him a slight pass last week for not looking shocked or surprised, but today he seemed to be simply reading lines.  I guess that works out as far as Sami basically telling him he says the right words but never means them, maybe that's what he was going for.

And I see no problem with Lucas's behavior at all.  He's going to find out more about it, but in the meantime he's going to defend his niece.  I don't think he threatened to take Ally away at all, he stated if things got crazy he would pull her out of the situation which is perfectly reasonable.  He's done it before and taken her to Taiwan for what, a year?  Sami understood and was fine with it.  What worries me is Kate telling him not to worry, she'd take care of it.  Is she going to try to take her granddaughter away from Sami? Because we don't know Kate's full agenda.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying Sami's revenge and AS, however, JS and the boring twit seem to be phoning it in.  I think Abby will be given a free pass, Sami will be considered the bad guy for simply telling the truth, and that annoys me.

• Love 1
(edited)
I would have liked it better if EJ had had an affair with Will, as played by Chandler Massey. Ah, what could have been.

Sorry, I have to say I think this would have been gross. The "chemistry" between Massey and Scott was based on how abusive and controlling Elvis was with Will. I think turning that into an affair would have been a terrible idea, especially since when Will found out about the "grief sex" he was written as being under eighteen. There would have been an element of coercion there, if not outright blackmail. I find Elvis quite heinous enough, thank you.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2
(edited)

I just don't get the appeal of Lucas. As I've probably said before, I'll readily admit this may because I'm a relative newbie who didn't see him at points where he was allegedly more interesting and when he and Sami had good chemistry. From what I've seen, though, I find him a dull, flat, cranky, self-righteous, joyless annoyance. I just don't find anything about him attractive---physically or otherwise. This leads to my UO that I don't want Sami to end up with Lucas *or* EJ. Or Rafe, for that matter, though my very, deeply, please-don't-throw-things-at-me UO is that of those three, I like Rafe the best. By far. (EJ used to at least have a lot of personality and charisma, something sorely lacking on a canvas filled with a sad number of dullards, but lately the actor is just sleepwalking through the role.)

Edited by mstaken

From what I've seen, though, I find him a dull, flat, cranky, self-righteous, joyless annoyance. 

I think a big reason why he seems that way is because he's rarely on and when he is they usually have him scolding someone. They basically treat him as a filler character. 

• Love 1

(EJ used to at least have a lot of personality and charisma, something sorely lacking on a canvas filled with a sad number of dullards, but lately the actor is just sleepwalking through the role.)

JS has been on a Spirit Quest to get in touch with his inner self and can't be bothered with boring, trivial things like doing his job and combing his hair.

I find him a dull, flat, cranky, self-righteous, joyless annoyance.

I like cranky.  Victor's cranky too. So much better than saint-like.

• Love 1
I like cranky.  Victor's cranky too. So much better than saint-like.

Well, yeah, no one's saying I'd prefer Lucas (or anyone else) to be like a saint. But I would never compare Victor to Lucas. For me, Victor is snarky, witty, incredibly entertaining, layered, interesting, magnetic, etc. Lucas...isn't. I find him just a charmless, humorless, self-important dullard in desperate need of a lip implant. 

I think Lucas would come across better if he were on more as LeftPhalange said.  The only time they use him now is when they need someone to be judgmental and angry. I can remember some scenes where Lucas was snarky and dry and he endeared himself to me. Lately though, he just shows up to pile on Kate and Sami and it's not like they need another character to do that.

• Love 3

I just remembered another UO I have: while most seem to feel Sami is going too far, my primary complaint about this storyline is that she actually hasn't gone far enough. I'm not saying that because I can't stand Abby or this current incarnation of EJ (though I can't), but because I want my soaps to be filled with delicious schemes and enjoyable over-the-top retaliation and all that, and while Sami telling people about Abigail and EJ is a nice start, I don't want that to be all that happens---especially not after all this buildup. 

• Love 5

I wanted Sami and Kate to completely destroy Stefano, EJ, and Kristen.  Now I have a bad feeling Sami and Kate are going to be constantly criticized for what they are doing, or Kate is going to turn out not to be partners with Sami after all.  I am really going to hate it if Stefano shows up for two seconds, and once again knows everything, has all the power, saves EJ, and crushes Sami and Kate.  I'm going to hate it even more if Kate is working with Stefano.

• Love 3
(edited)

Worse, I'm afraid Kristen will sweep in and get the upper hand over both Sami and Kate, because apparently crazy trumps every damn other thing.

It's odd in a way (though perhaps not a UO, strictly speaking) that Lucas has been turned into such a scold. He used to be a bad boy, as full of schemes and self-seeking as Sami. I agree that it has to do with how infrequently Bryan Dattilo is used.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

I think Lucas is okay with Sami  scheming, only so long as he can benefit from her scheming in some way.

If he doesn't benefit (like he did during the Austin and Carrie years), then he gets mad and feels the need to lecture.

I think he's also okay with Kate scheming too if he can benefit (for example, working in her company).

• Love 2

I am sticking my neck out here with my unpopular opinion, but what the hell, here goes.  I absolutely hate, despise, abhor Sami Brady.  I have since the first day I saw her on the show.  After years and years she hasn't learned a damn thing about anything.  Sami still equates screeching with being correct or in the right.  She is totally ludicrous and lacking in credibility.  EJ isn't far behind either.  He is being led around by his dick where Sami is concerned, much like Rafe was and on occasion still is.

I a not a big Abby fan because she is boring beyond belief. 

I want to see a confrontation between Kristin and Theresa over the big drunk, Brady Black.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe Sami could be smarter in how she approaches revenge, but since this is Days, I think I'll take what we're getting currently where Sami is concerned. No one on this show is ever going to be a Mensa candidate. I think she's currently handling things better than when she shot him in the head. I felt sorry for him then. Now, not so much because whatever Sami is doling out to him doesn't seem so bad by comparison and I don't know why he didn't tear up that picture if he didn't want to get caught.... I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion to like this storyline, but I do think it's better than past storylines because it involves business and board meetings?

I might feel something for Abigail if I had any attachment to KM which is the only way I could see someone actually liking Abigail the character, but since I don't have affection for KM in the way I did when JS had nice hair...

I  think Eileen Davidson is talented in the general sense, but I don't get the big whoop about her acting when she's doing wedding scenes...I think AS does weddings  better....

Edited by bantering
  • Love 2

I think Lucas is okay with Sami  scheming, only so long as he can benefit from her scheming in some way.

If he doesn't benefit (like he did during the Austin and Carrie years), then he gets mad and feels the need to lecture.

I think he's also okay with Kate scheming too if he can benefit (for example, working in her company).

I read this and very much agree with this assessment of Lucas. Then it struck me--wow Lucas is pretty hypocritical. Then it struck me again--Lucas is part-Horton. Ahh it all makes sense now.

• Love 2

Because the Brady, Kiriakis, and Dimera families are hypocrite-free?  It's a generally accepted character trait for just about everyone on the show, so I don't even consider it a negative anymore. It's like they're all affected by some genetic mutation that results in a propensity for hypocritical behavior. 

I like that Lucas calls out Kate and Sami for their scheming. I think that over the years, he's learned that it doesn't really do a lot of good, though, and now just registers his dissatisfaction with them and moves on. Of course, if he were on more, I might see him differently. I like Lucas. He has this magical ability to make Sami seem likable again when they share scenes. With him, it's the only time she, or Kate, show some self awareness. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The others aren't necessarily hypocritical-free, but I think Lucas gets praised much more by the audience for  being self-aware. Who praises the Dimeras for anything? We praise EJ for being hot (when he had decent hair, anyway), but that's not the same as praising him for being a great person. However, Lucas is not on a lot, and I think he'd be as screwy as everybody else on the show if he were. He just isn't on a lot to really do anything that would make us mad at him for anything. Lots of air-time and bad writing would screw him over just like it does everybody else on the show. Even in this Abigail storyline he seems a bit on the obtuse side...I wouldn't expect him to give EJ a pass, but I would expect him to think about Abigail's history and question what's wrong with her...but everybody on this show tends to take black and white positions...

I do think it's easy to feel sorry for Lucas because he's always being cuckolded by somebody (Carrie, Chloe...)

I don't know if this is an UP or not, but I also think what Carrie and Chloe did to him cheating-wise was worse than Sami having feelings for EJ. I don't remember Sami's choosing of EJ ever being quite as careless as the way Carrie and Chloe handled their infidelities....with Sami, it always seemed like there was some degree of transparency involved in that Sami seemed to always let him know what was going on with her and  EJ (even if she was trying to deny her feelings), whereas Carrie and Chloe were outright deceitful in their cheating...the way Carrie and Austin did it on the roof seemed so much shadier than Sami panting a little bit in EJ's presence...And with their porny looking tans, anything Chloe and Daniel did  in her apartment would always look visually skeezy....Also, Sami seemed to actually resist EJ whereas Carrie and Chloe didn't even seem to try....and Carrie never seemed to be aware that using Lucas for his sperm was wrong...

Edited by bantering
  • Love 4
(edited)

Carrie is similar (but not as bad) to Abby in that everyone pretends that she's a saint and makes excuses for her. I don't even remember Lucas being as pissed as he should have been when he found out she was cheating on him with his brother and was using hm for his sperm.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 2

This is probably why I prefer Sami and Kate, and they are the only part of the show I am enjoying.  Everyone in Salem doesn't run around saying how great, wonderful, nice, sweet, innocent, etc. Kate and Sami are.

• Love 5
(edited)

I didn't think the picture Sami showed of EJ and Abigail on the IPad to Jennifer was all that bad.

I imagine the shower pics  or even the closet near-sex where Abigail's legs were up in the air would have been much worse for Jennifer's eyes to take.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 1
I didn't think the picture Sami showed of EJ and Abigail on the IPad to Jennifer was all that bad.

No, they were very tame compared to what us viewers had to endure.  Jenn is lucky Sami didn't make a slid show w/the cheesy porn music we heard.  And let's not forget it was Abby's perv cousin Nick who took them in the first place--not Sami. 

• Love 2
(edited)

If Will and Sonny aren't going to get any good stories they need to be written out.

I never gave a damn about Will and Sonny anyways. I'm still pissed it wasn't Chad and Will, there was build up and everything. Not.over.it.

Edited by slayer2
(edited)

My supremely unpopular opinion is that I adore ED's Kristen Blake Dimera and I'm super excited to have her back starting Monday. I'm decidedly LESS excited about who she'll be sharing scenes with for the foreseeable future. OF COURSE there is no storyline that he-who-shall-not-be-named doesn't HAVE to be inserted into. Ugh. But regardless, I will sit back at my table-for-one and enjoy Kristen's special brand of BSC while it lasts.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 2
My supremely unpopular opinion is that I adore ED's Kristen Blake Dimera and I'm super excited to have her back starting Monday. I'm decidedly LESS excited about who she'll be sharing scenes with for the foreseeable future. OF COURSE there is no storyline that he-who-shall-not-be-named doesn't HAVE to be inserted into. Ugh. But regardless, I will sit back at my table-for-one and enjoy Kristen's special brand of BSC while it lasts.

Please tell me there's room at your table for one more! I won't deny for a second that Kristen is insane and over the top...and that's exactly why I enjoy her :) Admittedly, I love campy, outrageous nuttiness on my soaps. And for me one of Days' biggest problems is that far too many of the characters are infuriatingly dull, flat and personality-deficient. (My related UO here is that I think what I hate most about the Hortons and the disproportionate amount of screentime they get isn't the hypocrisy or self-righteousness or delusional lack of self-awareness, though all that certainly grates---it's that I find them so horribly BORING!) I'm hopeful that Kristen will bring some energy to a show that can be awfully staid and slow. Even when she drives me crazy, it's in a love-to-hate-way, which is higher praise than I can bestow on most other Days' characters! 

• Love 2

I like Kristen too and I fully appreciate the campy hilariousness that she brings to the show.  I would rather watch Kristen anyday than most of the other cast members.  At least she fully commits to her stupid scenes and wears her ridiculous wardrobe choices with her head held high.

I am really looking forward to the Dynasty-style catfight that's sure to happen between Sami and Kristen.  Bonus points if Kate joins in.

• Love 1

If Kristen killed herself, she would still find a way to blame someone else. I'm not big on camp, but I think I could stand her campy freakouts if she at least took responsibility for her own actions (someone on the show should be able to do that, right?). I notice a lot of viewers saying that Kristen owns her behaviour, but I've never seen her do that -- it's always John's fault, or Marlena's fault, or Brady's fault, or God's. Yeah, whatever. 

Kristen's not the only example of someone in Salem refusing to take responsibility for his or her own choices, but she strikes me as one of the worst.

Also, I recently saw a quote from Eileen Davidson to the effect that she considers Kristen "a psychopath with a heart of gold." I just want someone to tell her "Yeah, no -- that's not actually a thing."

• Love 2